6.3

1. May 19, 2012
    Angels: Sacha Baron Cohen-funny, original, gross, satirical, brilliant...what can I say. Actually, I wanted to stop here Angels, but the site would not let me.

Play you harps beautifully Angels.
  2. May 19, 2012
    I loved the movie, it had its laugh out loud moments. The script is great, lots of fun, a little bit of politics, and great jokes by SBC. I highy recommend it!
  3. May 19, 2012
    I will start off by saying I do enjoy Sacha Baron Cohen and find him very funny even thought I thought Bruno was weak and Ali G was better as a show or short clips I had seen the reviews on this site about people leaving the cinema early and thought may be the same again. But this ended up being the funniest film I have seen this year the whole cinema was in fits of laughter as well. SomeI will start off by saying I do enjoy Sacha Baron Cohen and find him very funny even thought I thought Bruno was weak and Ali G was better as a show or short clips I had seen the reviews on this site about people leaving the cinema early and thought may be the same again. But this ended up being the funniest film I have seen this year the whole cinema was in fits of laughter as well. Some stuff I can see people being offended by but that's the risk you take with his movie's but all in all this is up there with Borat very funny movie a must see. Expand
  4. May 19, 2012
    A meandering, occasionally funny let down from a man who should have known better. I barely chuckled and felt as if my intelligence was being insulted at nearly every turn.
  5. May 19, 2012
    Either you get Sascha Baron Cohen, or you don't! This is him at his best! Or worst! Depending on which camp you reside. There are those fence post riding nanby panbies, who just loved Borat, but just don't get the other films? Wankers! Borat was not just some happy little accident made by an over the top wannabe! It was a piece of a large puzzle, given to you by the worlds next CharlieEither you get Sascha Baron Cohen, or you don't! This is him at his best! Or worst! Depending on which camp you reside. There are those fence post riding nanby panbies, who just loved Borat, but just don't get the other films? Wankers! Borat was not just some happy little accident made by an over the top wannabe! It was a piece of a large puzzle, given to you by the worlds next Charlie Chaplin. Like it! Don't like it, Baron Cohen led you to the choice. But ultimately it's up to your brain to understand. As with all his work, I thought it very mind openingly funny! Expand
  6. May 18, 2012
    I went into this movie expecting light entertainment, and got even less. A few giggles here and there, but for the most part, The Dictator was agonizing to watch.
  7. May 18, 2012
    A new movie of Sacha Baron Cohen, I don't be fan of Sacha, I hate he, but I need say that this movie is really funny, have great and funny moments that do this film one of the most entertaining movies of the year.
  8. May 18, 2012
    One of the funnier movies I've seen in a while. It really picks up steam around the halfway mark. You will probably be offended if you identify with crunchy hipster puss1es who live in park slope and williamsburg but that's what made it funny for me. Definitely not pc and definitely worth seeing.
  9. May 18, 2012
    i have not laughed like this for a long time, the movie was hilarious and definitely not for everyone, if you have a crude sense of humour and its very un pc
  10. May 17, 2012
    Like every other Sasha Baron Cohen movie, the Dictator is intended for a mature yet good humored audience. I don't blame the several critics who walked out of the theater, but I feel as though the first half did not do the movie justice at all. In order to enjoy the Dictator you need to be able to relax and laugh, and not take everything so seriously. There were several moments where ILike every other Sasha Baron Cohen movie, the Dictator is intended for a mature yet good humored audience. I don't blame the several critics who walked out of the theater, but I feel as though the first half did not do the movie justice at all. In order to enjoy the Dictator you need to be able to relax and laugh, and not take everything so seriously. There were several moments where I found myself overwhelmed with laughter. Overall the Dictator was a good movie, not as good as Borat, not as messed up as Bruno but good enough to deserve an 8. Expand
  11. May 17, 2012
    Just terrible, I had to walk out after about 45 minutes because this is easily the worst movie I've seen in the past few years - and I've seen a lot of bad ones. In order to be a comedy the jokes need to be funny but all of the jokes in 'The Dictator' just fall flat. All hype, no substance - stay away at all costs.
  12. May 17, 2012
    I saw this in the theater today, well the 30 opening minutes at least. they were bad enough for me to walk out. and i never walk out of movies. Loved Borat and thought Bruno was okay. But this is no good. The jokes were all either very simple or very stupid. Before this review gets too scathing i'm just gonna end here by saying: don't see it, or see it on video later.
  13. May 17, 2012
    Movie was ok but not a classic like bruno & Borat. but you know is was entertaining and it was almost worth the 20 bucks (with popcorn & drinks). Overall the movie was great
  14. May 17, 2012
    If you go into The Dictator expecting much, you're going to get absolutely nothing out of it. However, if you go knowing it's not going to be a great comedy, or even a good comedy, then you'll end up somewhat enjoying it. The movie has its moments, but it's not one after the other kind of hilarity. Sacha Baron Cohen is a guy who likes to make movies on a lot of controversial stuff, and heIf you go into The Dictator expecting much, you're going to get absolutely nothing out of it. However, if you go knowing it's not going to be a great comedy, or even a good comedy, then you'll end up somewhat enjoying it. The movie has its moments, but it's not one after the other kind of hilarity. Sacha Baron Cohen is a guy who likes to make movies on a lot of controversial stuff, and he does so again, making mention to things like Bin Laden and 9/11, but it still ends up being funny. Serviceable comedy, nothing great. Anchorman 2 teaser however, it's gonna make you cream. Expand
  15. May 16, 2012
    It is one of Sasha Baron Cohen's film and his first scripted. Funny, but cliche. Decent comedy and worth the price of admission. Even the Anchorman 2 teaser was worth the admission...
  16. May 16, 2012
    All in all a very disappointing movie, too much hype with the trailer.... It's watchable but would not say I laughed my head off. will not recommend it. American pie and 21 jump street were of a different league of comedy compared to the dictator.
  17. May 16, 2012
    The Dictator suffers the same problem as many comedies these days: The best bits are in the trailer, and many of the jokes rely on pop culture. It's lazily written, but there are strokes of genius here and there. Between the strange almost-surreal type of humor and the Borat-inspired quips, the film can't decide what it wants to be, and it ultimately stumbles over its own jokes.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    May 26, 2012
    The Dictator, like its predecessors, is short (eighty-three minutes), but it runs down fast, and the lewd jokes pile up. [28 May 2012, p. 76]
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    May 17, 2012
    Sacha Baron Cohen's tosses off some sensationally funny stuff before descending into a rat-a-tat rhythm of random insult and ritual vulgarity.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    May 17, 2012
    The conventional meet-cute love story at the center of The Dictator feels like a bizarre concession to some nonexistent demographic that prefers its sick black comedy with a side of humanist sentiment.