The Dictator

6.3

1. Jun 7, 2012
    Seemed to be a more cinematic approach to the dictator than his previous films, which felt a little odd at first, but the jokes are plentiful and hilarious! The film becomes instantly much more fun if you go to watch it with a group of friends, even though some of the scenes are a little 'awkward'. Sacha Baren Cohen still hasn't raised the bar above Borat yet, but after the disaster ofSeemed to be a more cinematic approach to the dictator than his previous films, which felt a little odd at first, but the jokes are plentiful and hilarious! The film becomes instantly much more fun if you go to watch it with a group of friends, even though some of the scenes are a little 'awkward'. Sacha Baren Cohen still hasn't raised the bar above Borat yet, but after the disaster of Bruno, this is a step in the right direction. Expand
  2. May 16, 2012
    All in all a very disappointing movie, too much hype with the trailer.... It's watchable but would not say I laughed my head off. will not recommend it. American pie and 21 jump street were of a different league of comedy compared to the dictator.
  3. May 16, 2012
    It is one of Sasha Baron Cohen's film and his first scripted. Funny, but cliche. Decent comedy and worth the price of admission. Even the Anchorman 2 teaser was worth the admission...
  4. May 17, 2012
    Just terrible, I had to walk out after about 45 minutes because this is easily the worst movie I've seen in the past few years - and I've seen a lot of bad ones. In order to be a comedy the jokes need to be funny but all of the jokes in 'The Dictator' just fall flat. All hype, no substance - stay away at all costs.
  5. May 18, 2012
    One of the funnier movies I've seen in a while. It really picks up steam around the halfway mark. You will probably be offended if you identify with crunchy hipster puss1es who live in park slope and williamsburg but that's what made it funny for me. Definitely not pc and definitely worth seeing.
  6. May 19, 2012
    I loved the movie, it had its laugh out loud moments. The script is great, lots of fun, a little bit of politics, and great jokes by SBC. I highy recommend it!
  7. May 20, 2012
    Haha, all people beneath me are hating the movie... I liked it very much tough, just laughing, not the best plot ever, but i can live with that!! not every movie can be the green mile or something. and of course its stupid sometimes, but Sacha Baron Cohen's face makes a lot good.
  8. May 23, 2012
    I did not expect this movie to be good. I expected this movie to be mediocre at best, as many of these slap-stick comedies are just too stupid and immature. I was, however, very pleasantly surprised to find that the movie was pretty hysterical, IF you don't take it seriously. The jokes are not sophisticated and the humor is simple... but IT WORKS. This movie doesn't take itselfI did not expect this movie to be good. I expected this movie to be mediocre at best, as many of these slap-stick comedies are just too stupid and immature. I was, however, very pleasantly surprised to find that the movie was pretty hysterical, IF you don't take it seriously. The jokes are not sophisticated and the humor is simple... but IT WORKS. This movie doesn't take itself seriously and neither should you. The movie gets off to a slow start but gets funnier farther along. I found myself chuckling through the majority of the movie, and laughing out loud (loudly) several times. Most negative reviewers are comparing this movie to Borat, claiming Borat to be the far superior movie. However, this movie IS NOT Borat. This movie is simply a very well done "leave your brain at the door" comedy (which are hard to come by these days) and contains plenty of laughs, as long as you do not go in expecting to be blown away. Definitely worth 10 dollars. Expand
  9. May 24, 2012
    Disappointment soon led to anger. The laughs were few and cheap. The Dictator completely missed the nail by a long shot, only people from ages 12 -15 would find the film amusing.
  10. May 28, 2012
    the start is a little weird and hard to understand but the rest is hilarious you will laugh until you cant laugh anymore you must see it. i loced ecery moement one of the best comedy movies to see
  11. May 29, 2012
    I left the theatre trying to recall the funny parts of the movie. There was one involving the nuclear scientist. (Not sure why he wanted to continue with the dictatorship, but that is beside the point). I couldnâ
  12. Jun 2, 2012
    Have never written a review here, actually signed up just to write this and I have been using Metacritic regularly for a few years now. I had enjoyed Borat, Bruno was poor enough, saw the trailers for this and thought it looked crap, then got bribed into watching it, but when I saw the middling metascore I Said I'd go in positive....simply awful film, I laughed once, at the end, at anHave never written a review here, actually signed up just to write this and I have been using Metacritic regularly for a few years now. I had enjoyed Borat, Bruno was poor enough, saw the trailers for this and thought it looked crap, then got bribed into watching it, but when I saw the middling metascore I Said I'd go in positive....simply awful film, I laughed once, at the end, at an outtake. Jokes and plot are aggravatingly transparent, acting is poor, characters are painfully stereotypical and although this should be expected in a film like this it just doesn't work anymore. Expand
  13. Jun 2, 2012
    This is the most disgusting slapstick drained out comedy movie that one cannot sit thru completely. Its a total waste of time and money. I never walked out of any movies in my life time other than this disgusting crap. I don't know what the censor board is thinking when they agreed to release these kind. Movies
  14. Jun 6, 2012
    Aaah..Sacha completes the fall from 90% fabulous humor and 10% offensiveness with Ali G ten years ago, to vice versa with the Dictator. He's just not funny anymore.
  15. Aug 20, 2012
    I enjoyed it. Sure it's not a movie you remember, talk about for weeks, buy, rent, or keep when someone re-gifts it to you for Christmas, but it wasn't THAT deplorable as many seem to think.
    Personally I have nothing against bearded, middle eastern, murderous, penile-challenged dictators___so I may not be as biased as everyone who still remembers Osama Bin Laden and has fallen prey to the programming which thwarts their notions of the word «funny» when it comes to certain subjects or stereotypes.

Come on people... the jokes were OK.. get over Osama wait for it to be on Stars and watch it again.
  16. Sep 24, 2012
    The last movie where I laughed so much was The Hangover. Different kind of movie, but very funny. A few parts were a little over the top and gross, but overall it very good. To me, Sasha's style is similar to that of the creators of Southpark, but somewhat more refined.
  17. Oct 1, 2012
    Really funny and entertaining. The movir comes out fully with its political satire of the oppression of the Middle East and its nervy relationship with the West. The adult humor is a bit extreme and children should probably not watch this movie but it's really funny overall.
  18. Oct 5, 2012
    The movie is very good, has all this black humor that I love and when you go to the movies, you know what you're gonna see. Shacha Baron Cohen is a hilarious actor.
  19. Jan 31, 2013
    I have just watched this film and I thought it was very funny, with all the racist and sexist comments although may want to consider watching this if sensitive to sexist or racist comments. One of the best films I have watched in 2012/13
  20. Jun 30, 2013
    such a comedy movie better some other comedies today lots of funny and memorable scenes if you have netflix or a dvd player watch it with your friends because its not a family movie but its still good
  21. Mar 16, 2014
    Is one of best comedy of all time! What is wrong with you people?! Have you problems with your brains?????????????????????????????????????????????????

1. The New Yorker
    Reviewed by: David Denby
    May 26, 2012
    The Dictator, like its predecessors, is short (eighty-three minutes), but it runs down fast, and the lewd jokes pile up. [28 May 2012, p. 76]
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    May 17, 2012
    Sacha Baron Cohen's tosses off some sensationally funny stuff before descending into a rat-a-tat rhythm of random insult and ritual vulgarity.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    May 17, 2012
    The conventional meet-cute love story at the center of The Dictator feels like a bizarre concession to some nonexistent demographic that prefers its sick black comedy with a side of humanist sentiment.