6.3

1. Mar 16, 2014
    Is one of best comedy of all time! What is wrong with you people?! Have you problems with your brains?????????????????????????????????????????????????
  2. Mar 15, 2014
    dictator was okay . Sacha Baron Cohen was great this film then his other films like bruno and borat . Sacha did his finest work but everyone has high expectations for Cohen's offensive humor . some of his humor i did not get in this but this movie was bettter then borat .
  3. Mar 1, 2014
    Consistently offensive (to varying effectiveness), The Dictator is funny in spots, but is also filled with jokes that are too stupid to be funny. Now of course this was not trying to be a fantastic film or anything, but I do wish that the jokes were way more consistent. In addition, in terms of story, the romantic aspect added to this one did not actually add anything to the movie at all and in fact subtracted from the movie. More dictatorship, less random, forced, and unnecessary romance. At the end of the day, this one is not a trainwreck like I feared it might be and could be a good movie to watch if you want a few good laughs and a hilarious speech on dictatorships, but sadly other than that, there is not much to see. As I said before, this one could have been a lot better if it had been a lot more consistent. Expand
  4. Oct 22, 2013
    Behind all the crude, obscene and derogatory content that makes up the still hilarious film that is 'The Dictator', it directly pokes fun at democratic governments around the world, becoming a perfect political satire while also playing on the funny bones, Sacha Baron Cohen proves to be original in his content, while also pulling no punches at who gets caught in the firing line. This is the first scripted film Cohen has created, it falls a fluid story compared to the equally as hilarious but cringeworthy 'Borat' and 'Bruno', yet when I went to see the film, the cinema was in complete uproar, all in a good way of course, it certainly pushes boundaries but addresses the dark and black comedy that people seem to relate to today, its short and snappy at 89 minutes long, but feels just the right about of funny. Cohen plays the role of Admiral General Aladeen of Wadiya, he acts like we assume a dictator would, big palace, plenty of worshipping followers and a flamboyant lifestyle of sex encounters with celebrities, this set up includes a small role for Megan Fox, which is hysterical as we are then shown his wall of conquests, males included. But his life is always in danger, not only because of his regime and his slimy right hand man Tahir (Ben Kingsley), but he plays judge. jury and executioner (or so he thinks) as he will uses his power to dispose of any man who deceives him, yet this even comes down to a nuclear warhead not being pointy enough. When his visit to America ends i na betrayal of trust, he is thrust into the streets of New York unknown, as his iconic beard has been removed, he finds a radical anti-Aladeen health store run by Zoey (Anna Faris), unaware of his real identity, she lets him into her life. Faris has really let herself be the subject of many puns and putdowns throughout the film, growing real armpit hair and even being called a "chubby Justin Bieber". Its full of direct attacks at everything involving the American Dream, and a particular scene in a helicopter with two tourists perfectly capture the mindset of an often paranoid nation, but probably for good reason. Its full of crude yet delicious humour that just gets funnier as the film goes on, it seems to play out as a regular "error of their ways" film, but then throws it all back in your face to keep us interested, Kingsley is an unlikely delight alongside Cohen, while Faris continues to have excellent comic timing for all the right moments. This is a comedy not for the faint-hearted, but political satire for all to enjoy, offensive but perhaps a little close to home. Expand
  5. Sep 19, 2013
    Haters can hate on Sacha Baren Cohen and this movie all they want, but they have to admit that at times, it is very funny.

Although sometimes being stupid, that doesn't take away from the humor. Cohn is the master of creating comical situations, and The Dictator is just that: an 83 minute compilation of comical scenes and sight gags. But, for what it is, that's all that's needed to make
    this movie funny. Expand
  6. Aug 9, 2013
    Sacha Baron Cohen really tries to extend the shock factor to create comedy, but the method has worked thin and has made me lose interest in his next project.
  7. Jun 30, 2013
    such a comedy movie better some other comedies today lots of funny and memorable scenes if you have netflix or a dvd player watch it with your friends because its not a family movie but its still good
  8. Jun 19, 2013
    The dictator is a funny film. It makes you laugh a lot and the time passes really quick. It's not a quality film but it's entertaining though if you like this kind of comedies
  9. May 20, 2013
    Some of the jokes hit really low. But the production value is high, and the political satire is both sharp and meanwhile feels relaxed enough to qualify as 'casual entertainment'. If you're interested in the subject, there's enough juice in there for it to be a worthwhile pop cultural diversion.
  10. Apr 11, 2013
    It's not profound, but for the first time in Baron Cohen movies, it has a plot. It's also the funniest movie of the year, and that was its target. If you want to laugh, go and see it!
  11. Feb 17, 2013
    Funny, Restless, Offensive and full of Banned Jokes about US The Dictator is killer funny. This is definitely not a documentary but its a good comedy. Sacha Baron Cohen nailed it as the role of Aladeen! But the parents won't be happy because this film is TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE. Larry Charles has made Bruno which was also inappropriate but for adults it's okay. And even though its 14A it's very inappropriate. Well 7/10 for me! Expand
  12. Jan 31, 2013
    I have just watched this film and I thought it was very funny, with all the racist and sexist comments although may want to consider watching this if sensitive to sexist or racist comments. One of the best films I have watched in 2012/13
  13. Dec 18, 2012
    Sacha Baron Cohen is a good actor and a great screenplay writer and that's the only reason I watched this film. A few jokes were thought provoking and some of them were really lame and cheap. Full-on satire and disgusting & vulgar humor are the qualities of the Dictator. But despite that, I only give it 5 marks because it is just an average film. Not too good and not bad.
  14. Dec 11, 2012
    This movie should of been better than it is, I wanted to love this so much but it was a massive let-down. Don't get me wrong though, Sacha Baron Cohen is a great charactor actor and the supporting cast isn't all that bad either but what made Borat so great (and to a lesser extend, Bruno) was the witty yet shocking humour of it all. With Borat the humour came naturally because of it's mockumentary style filming and the use of unexpected real people. This is a scripted film where it tries too hard with the shocking jokes that they arn't witty enough, hell some of them wern't even funny! it's a passe movie and a enjoyable watch but it's also the sort of film that will sit on your DVD shelf for all eternity. Expand
  15. Dec 5, 2012
    Did I like it? Yes. Is it a great film? Hell no. It has some humorous moments, but overall the film isn't that funny. The best jokes are all in the trailer. Very short. Incredibly inconsistent.
  16. Nov 21, 2012
    It has some funny moments and innovations and Sacha Baron Cohen is a really good actor here, but The Dictator is still a stupid film; a blockbuster just made to win money.
  17. Nov 13, 2012
    Sasha Baron Coen is like marmite for me in every film he shoots, you either love him or hate him! I skipped Bruno because i was not keen on Borat, and was going to give The Dictator a miss too....I am glad i didn't. One of the funniest films i have seen in a long time. I doubt i would watch it again but for a one off rental this is a good choice.
  18. Nov 4, 2012
    Yes, it is both funny and offensive. I appreciate the execution of this idea. Its much better executed than "You Don't Mess with the Zohan", but too many scenes in this comedy fall flat, and there isn't enough plot to compensate for this.
  19. Nov 4, 2012
    When it is funny, it is really funny. Unfortunately, it tries to be a movie and have an actual plot and you buy none of it. It completely falls apart.
  20. Oct 21, 2012
    One of the best comedies in years! Absolute brilliance, funny from start to end. Cohen is a genius. Looking forward to watching it a 2nd time.
  21. Oct 5, 2012
    The movie is very good, has all this black humor that I love and when you go to the movies, you know what you're gonna see. Shacha Baron Cohen is a hilarious actor.
  22. Oct 1, 2012
    Really funny and entertaining. The movir comes out fully with its political satire of the oppression of the Middle East and its nervy relationship with the West. The adult humor is a bit extreme and children should probably not watch this movie but it's really funny overall.
  23. Sep 24, 2012
    The last movie where I laughed so much was The Hangover. Different kind of movie, but very funny. A few parts were a little over the top and gross, but overall it very good. To me, Sasha's style is similar to that of the creators of Southpark, but somewhat more refined.
  24. Sep 18, 2012
    Sasha Baron Cohen's worst **** movie ever. Funny only a small fraction of the time and WTF for the rest. I almost never stop a movie halfway, but this was pure stupidity.
  25. Sep 12, 2012
    I get where and what Sasha was going for here-which is fairly original. So most of my score accounts for those things. However, the humor-or lack thereof- really made this movie predictable and unwatchable a 2nd time. The few chuckles I got from the movie would not have been worth a movie ticket or DVD for that matter.
  26. Sep 12, 2012
    Funny Movie. Not as funny as the first half of Borat, but that movie lost its way badly in the second half. This is more consistent throughout, (although still funnier at the beginning). Its also a surprise to see a regular mainstream kinda movie from cohen, rather than the episodic feel of his other films. Its most similar in structure to Ali G in da house. Cohen cleverly makes fun of every stereotype known to man, from the cliche'd way we in the west view dictators in the east, to vice versa, with sexism, racism, and just about every other 'ism' thrown in along the way. Probably not one to watch at a family gathering, but then not overly offensive either, its easily the funniest mainstream hollywood film for a long time. Expand
  27. Sep 8, 2012
    Boy, did Sasha Baron Cohen ever miss the mark with 'The Dictator.' Like many others have said, I wanted to like this movie. I paused the DVD about 45 minutes in and debated slogging through the rest of it for the sake of finality. Who knows, maybe it would get better. But boy, it didn't. The majority of the jokes were anecdotal, like "Don't worry, I was the best _______ in Wadiya, I came first place in the Wadiyan _______ competition!" And the other guy, the nuclear scientist guy would reply with "But you were its only competitor! You had everyone else killed or disappeared because you're the Wadiyan dictator and that's what you do you **** Let's do slightly different iterations of this joke about 50 more times throughout this film and hope it's still funny." The jokes were like Family Guy flashback gags without the cutaways. Well, there were some, but that of course doesn't excuse how horribly written and repetitive the jokes in this movie were. Another example would be Anna Faris's hippie co-op store-owner, that Aladeen would constantly make jokes about her not shaving her armpits. Seriously, he must've said that like twenty times, culminating in a scene where he licked the **** things. Again, like other reviewers said, I started getting angry towards the end of this film. Baron Cohen is so much better than this movie. 'Borat' was a lot more intelligent and politically inclined than 'The Dictator', and THAT movie had a naked wrestling scene for **** sake. If you're a Sasha Baron Cohen fan, skip this film. If you've never seen any of his work, don't watch this movie. Cohen is a lot better when he's messing with real people disguised as "Borat" or "Bruno", but now that those characters are so popular, and he himself is famous and recognizable, he can no longer make such movies. But hopefully 'The Dictator' isn't all that's left in his comedic repertoire.

I rate this film 1 out of 10, and it gets rating of 1 simply for the fact that it's a movie.
  28. Sep 8, 2012
    The Dictator manages to be a good comedy but falters in the most important aspect of a comedy, the humor. There are plenty of hilarious moments that will have you laughing out loud, but there are also a lot of moments where he humor is predictable, been done before in other comedies (and better there), or just so gross you actually gag instead of laughing. It takes a lot for humor to actually gross me out, and this movie actually did that a lot, but still I did laugh and, for the most part, enjoyed myself. So if your looking for a good comedy and don't mind some absolutely disgusting and at times dry or flat humor this is worth a rental, but know there are tons of better comedies out there. Expand
  29. Sep 7, 2012
    The only redeeming and watchable parts of The Dictator are Bobby Lee's small comedic role. I did have a few giggles at the very least three times. I'll give this some points for its crude and offensive humor which was the second and last thing I liked about it. What could have been a hilarious comedy failed at even being a simple movie. I did feel like I wasted an entire hour, it is Sacha Baron Cohen's weakest performance. Not funny. Expand
  30. Sep 1, 2012
    Very funny! I cant understand the hate this kept me soo entertained while watching
    No sad parts, No Bad guy parts, just plain funny and I couldent stop laughing

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    May 26, 2012
    The Dictator, like its predecessors, is short (eighty-three minutes), but it runs down fast, and the lewd jokes pile up. [28 May 2012, p. 76]
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    May 17, 2012
    Sacha Baron Cohen's tosses off some sensationally funny stuff before descending into a rat-a-tat rhythm of random insult and ritual vulgarity.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    May 17, 2012
    The conventional meet-cute love story at the center of The Dictator feels like a bizarre concession to some nonexistent demographic that prefers its sick black comedy with a side of humanist sentiment.