4.5

1. Nov 13, 2011
    I believe that there was too much criticism towards a very good comedy,certainly better than other comedies sold as great(take The holiday for example).The dilemma features a great cast,an interesting story and a really good direction.How could this comedy have gained so much haters is beyond my comprehension.Ronny(Vince Vaughn)and Nick(Kevin James)are best friends working on a ambitiousI believe that there was too much criticism towards a very good comedy,certainly better than other comedies sold as great(take The holiday for example).The dilemma features a great cast,an interesting story and a really good direction.How could this comedy have gained so much haters is beyond my comprehension.Ronny(Vince Vaughn)and Nick(Kevin James)are best friends working on a ambitious project as auto designers that would launch their company.But Ronny discovers Geneva(Winona Ryder),wife of Nick,cheating on him with another man.So he has to find how to tell his best friend about the unexpected truth. Ron Howard is not new to comedy territory(Splash for example)and in my opinion he manages to entertain the audience.The movie boasts really hilarious moments and good reflections on friendship and marriage with a light tone that is natural for comedy.Even if there are few predictable aspects I enjoyed the movie for what it is.I think that critics and audience missed the point because I've seen not so much good comedies about that. Vince Vaughn is the heart and the soul of the movie.I found him really good and I believe that he is an underrated actor.They should give him more opportunities to show his abilities. Kevin James is adequate to his role that is not too demanding. Jennifer Connelly has a pointless role as the Ronnie's girlfriend.Don't get me wrong.I think she is a really amazing actress and she plays well here.But her role is a bit useless except her mission to make Ronnie a more honest man about what's happening . Winona Ryder has the juiciest and the more complex role as the cheating wife.She was exceptional and mesmerizing.She proved why she deserves to be still today a leading actress and not to be pushed only in supporting roles and little parts. She embodies not a stereotyped character but a selfish,occasionally nasty but with a soul within the surface woman.I hope this will be a comeback for her. So good story, good direction, good script and a perfect cast.My vote is 7/10 Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jan 21, 2011
    Ryder is devious and witchy, her eyes flashing, her crinkly voice developing knife edges. She gives an acidly brilliant performance as a desperate, lying woman. [24 Jan. 2011, p. 83]
  2. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Jan 20, 2011
    I'm not sure whether Howard and screenwriter Allan Loeb are to be commended for aspiring to something odd and original, or condemned for a result that's so messy and miscellaneous.
  3. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Jan 19, 2011
    As a rollicking comedy, it isn't.