5.3

1. Jun 9, 2011
    I rented this to watch Kevin Kline and discovered Paul Dano. He's the one you can't take your eyes off of, playing a really quirky character without a single wrong move. Don't expect the ending to wrap things up, however. There is no ending. It just sort of comes to a stop, nothing resolved, no pointing to any kind of future. And still I was oddly captivated.
  2. May 2, 2011
    The Extra Man is ridiculous. Did someone sketch out the plot and scenes on scratch paper in a library cubicle and then stop after the first draft? It is disjointed, choppy, and just an all around complete mess.
    Kevin Kline goes back in eccentric mode (think Otto from A Fish Called Wanda) but his eccentricities amount to nothing. He plays a modern day gentleman who has no particular
    employment except accompanying elderly women to formal dinner functions. He makes it clear he is not a gigolo, but an â Collapse
  3. Dec 12, 2010
    There is a strange sense of humor within the film, but overall this is not worth renting. It's too weird to be even close to believable. Not worth your time.
  4. Oct 8, 2010
    This was absolutely terrific. It could be compared to a Wes Anderson film that isn't trying to be so cool. The main characters are expertly written and acted and the whole thing is edited perfectly. We saw this in an indie theatre and the whole audience was thrilled by this film. Audiences these days are expecting crazy action or other ploys to constantly keep them interested but this film is made the old fashioned way with great acting, writing, wit and storytelling. Expand
  5. Aug 7, 2010
    The trailer made this film look like a must-see, but I was disappointed by it. It's definitely quirky and weird, which I usually appreciate, but it's just to vanilla. It sits there, without much punch to it. And what the hell did the director do to John C. Reilly's voice? It didn't make a lot of sense to me. At first, I thought it might be going for a new "Harold & Maude" thing, but no.

1. Although their latest film is not without a certain charm, it quickly wears out its welcome.
  2. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    Everyone in the film is an uninteresting grotesque.
  3. The Extra Man" isn't in the same league as Pulcini and Berman's landmark "American Splendor" with Paul Giamatti as the late Harvey Pekar, but it has its moments - especially in its evocation of the sense that New York offers a greater sense of security for brave yet vulnerable individualists the way a sprawling, amorphous and transient city like Los Angeles rarely can.