8.1

1. Nov 25, 2014
    Fascinating story and brilliant acting especially from Christian Bale makes this movie well worth a view. Its a shame that they left out some of the matches Micky lost, I Wonder if its to glorify his career. Nonetheless it is a very good movies with some great acting.
  2. Aug 28, 2014
    David O. Russell's brilliance certainly comes through with The Fighter. But it's the cast of performers than excel this beyond just another boxing film. Christian Bale is gritty and honest, and on that note, so are Melissa Leo and Amy Adams.
  3. Nov 21, 2013
    Mediocre to the core I'd say. The movie plot was a bit too plain and it didn't reach the climax spot. It just wasn't there, except for Christian Bale's awesome performance. He transformed into a complete person, I almost didn't recognize him. Expected more, but the movie gave less.
  4. Oct 12, 2013
    O diretor David O.russell sem duvida um dos melhores da época atual, pois ele sempre segue a mesma fórmula em seus filmes, um tema complicado com um alto teor dramático com cenas tocantes, mas com vários alívios cômicos bem dosados que tiram um pouco do peso da trama e que deixam o filme mais divertido e melhor de se ver, o diretor tambem expressa muito bom gosto para aparte técnica a qual esta muito bem feita ,especeialmente na parte de imagem que reproduz muito bem as cenas de lutas oficiais transmitidas pela TV, e a parte de som especialmente a trilha sonora que conta com grandes musicas boas de rock.
    But the best of the film are the performances, Mark Wahlberg is very well his character and his dilemma, choosing between his girlfriend and his family, Amy Adans also works well in a decontrída but very serious, Melissa Leo is superb as it can translate shining bright so the sorrows and joys of a matriarch, but who steals Cristian Bale is he so good here that even remotely resembles the Batman, their ways of looking and acting are extremely pitiful, his victory was the oscar more than deserved.
    Putting it all gets a more than satisfactory result, a heartwarming story and companionship family the best style Rock Balboa.
  5. Jul 8, 2013
    An outstanding film by David O'Russell only surpassed by 2012's Silver Linings Playbook. The performances by Amy Adams, Mark Wahlberg, and expecially Christian Bale.
  6. Jun 29, 2013
    Awesome film. As per usual, both Wahlberg and Bale do an outstanding job of acting, as does Amy Adams as Micky's girlfriend. At the end of the day, it's a sports movie, but it's an extremely good one that has characteristics most typical sports movies do not have. It draws you in with the in-depth and at times depressing story of Micky Ward's life and then his turn around into a champion.
  7. Apr 4, 2013
    this movie has all the elements of being awesome great story great script great direction and until this movie came out i didn't believe that Christian Bale can actually act at all cause i'm used to see him in suite as MR.Wayne in Batman series and i didn't recognize him at the first sight i think he deserved that Oscar so much it should have coming flying to him also great performance by Mark Wahlberg and i loved every minute of the movie this is one of the perfect movies that based on true-story. Expand
  8. Feb 16, 2013
    Set aside the gore and violence for a second... and think can you make a great 130 min sports drama without Sylvester Stallone The Fighter.... What an amazing movie. Everything was good about this film. It was a good kick ass sport drama. The critics are right about this film guys must WATCH. Well 9/10 is my review
  9. Jan 11, 2013
    This is not just another underdog boxing story. It's more so about the dynamics of family, more specifically, a chaotic and at times detestable family. And it is incredibly real. There is no fluff here. Just all of the love, frustration and difficulty that comes with life's web of human relationships when things don't always go your way. It's entertaining and the characters are so much fun to watch. Great acting from everyone, especially Christian Bale who gave just about as convincing a portrayal of an individual as I've ever seen in film. Expand
  10. Dec 8, 2012
    The Fighter was the one movie that I knew I had to see in 2010. My two favorite actors are Amy Adams and Christian Bale, so I knew I had to see this film to see them together. As the release date came closer, and as more and more Oscar buzz flowed, I knew this was going to be a great one. It is. This film is easily among the 5 best films of the year, if not the best.

The best part of
    this film is the acting. Unbelievable! The three main supporting cast members give some of the best performances I have ever seen. They have to go down as one strongest supporting casts ever. I believe Christian Bale will finally receive his long overdue Oscar. His performance is simply incredible. He completely takes ownership of the role and simply disappears entirely into the character. His character changes so much throughout the film and no better actor could have delivered as affectively. I also loved Melissa Leo's performance. Absolutely stunning! She is so real and believable as the tough mother. Her performance is truly remarkable. I believe Melissa Leo will win the Oscar for best supporting actress, but it was Amy Adams that completely made this film for me. Her performance is phenomenal! She completely steals every scene. She flawlessly portrays the quiet but tough Charlene. This film shows Amy Adams at her best. She, too, will receive an Oscar nomination, hopefully the win. Also, her performance really allows Mark Wahlberg to shine as well. He gives a good performance, but the entire film is dominated by stellar supporting actors.

A thing that surprised me was the screenplay. The script is simply fantastic. It is so real, strong, and genuinely portrays what the people of the area and time would have been like. The script also has many humorous moments that were surprising, but absolutely perfect. The Fighter is so much more than a typical sports or boxing film. It focuses more on relationships, family, and conflicts as opposed to the boxing. I have to mention the final fight scene.....brilliant. The perfect ending to a great movie. After being blessed with the first 90 minutes of the film, we are treated by an awesome final boxing scene. Loved it! Nominated for 7 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Original Screenplay, this is a brilliant film. Far better than Rocky and Raging Bull will ever be. This deserved every amount of praise it received. Props to Mark Wahlberg for pushing to create this film!

Absolutely loved it. One of my favorites!
  11. Nov 28, 2012
    Guided by some unwaveringly perfect performances, "The Fighter" is a dignified example of what sports dramas should be - humble, honest, and exhilarating.
  12. Nov 28, 2012
    To the head, to the body, to the Budweiser: The Fighter (a true story, yet a thinly-masked Budweiser commercial, to be sure) deserves accolades, yes, but why is every punch delivered with the same video-game sound effect? Never loud for some punches, fainter for others -- just punch-sound, punch-sound, punch-sound: Get real, sound editors. Of course, it's nothing new that fighting sounds have always been exaggerated in Hollywood (with the possible exception of Jeff Bridges' punch in Peter Bogdanovich's "Last Picture Show"), and there is indeed much integrity in the history of boxing, but why is knocking someone out still a sport? Isn't boxing just romanticized human rooster-fighting? For the same reason we hire babes in bikinis to hold up "Round 1" signs, we (more often than not, males) are apparently just animals out for sex, blood, and Budweiser (and if we are not, that makes no difference for what Hollywood sells). That said, I thought Wahlberg (strangely, no nomination) and Mellisa Leo (nominated for best supporting actress [and later winning that award with an historical (expletive!) acceptance speech]), were both excellent, and the mother's 7 white-trash daughters were both intentionally amusing and scary. Is it worth seeing? Sure -- it's a true story, and Wahlberg and Bale (who also later won an oscar) offer genuine portrayals. Lastly, you had to love the clip tagged on the end with the real brothers from Lowell, Mass. They did not need to tell you who was who--it was a charming tag after an unsettling story. Expand
  13. Nov 8, 2012
    The Fighter is a great movie, no doubt about that. The only minor problem was the performance of Walhberg, he could have made his character more eager. Mick's desire to make his own life better and to earn the championship needs to be developed more form Walhberg. However, Walhberg's act as a modest person is legitimate.
  14. Nov 7, 2012
    Every performance is excellent and Bale is perfect. The Fighter tells a story of lies, love, and perseverance, and is quite possibly the best film of the year.
  15. Sep 2, 2012
    The Fighter is an excellently acted, scripted and paced pugilistic bio-pic. It entertains and uplifts. What more could you want from a boxing movie? Amy Adams in a black lace bra? It's got that too!
  16. Aug 31, 2012
    The cast is great. There are funny well acted characters. The story is just kind if, blah. The acting is the reason why you want and should see this movie. The boxing just adds as a secondary attraction.
  17. Aug 24, 2012
    A fantastic film which has an unbelievable cast. Everyone pulls their weight and with the storyline and characters vying for your every emotion, this is a film for all, not just boxing fans. I almost felt as if Micky Ward (Mark Wahlberg) wasn't the main character but his brother, Dicky Eklund (Christian Bale), was. It felt like a Ben Affleck film (and I mean that as a complement), about the hardships of growing up around Boston. This is a film of one man's dream and all the obstacles that are placed in his way to stop him. Expand
  18. Jun 4, 2012
    A Really Complex Film That In My Opinion Was 100% Ignored From The Public...
    Very Good Film And Acting..
  19. Apr 5, 2012
    I do like this movie, but I do not love it. The performances were great -except from those one of the sisters- and evidently, the relationship between Mickey, and the other characters is portrayed realistically yet, at times it feels shallow. The characters are stereotypicals and often bordering the caricaturesque... somehow forced. Finally, I would have loved to see a bit more of Micky training, and the whole inner and outer process he undergoes before he becomes the world champion, because obviously, his personality evolved. Sadly, in the film, there is almost no transition from old Mickey to New Mickey. It was a two hours movie; paradoxically, considering its length, I expected much more... Expand
  20. Mar 24, 2012
    The Fighter sorry to say is another typical boxing movie only with the screwed up family, a brother who is a crack addict and a girlfriend who is just trying help mark wahlberg along. yet of all the strong acting the leading role fell flat in which made the movie flat as well.
  21. Mar 10, 2012
    The Fighter is a very complex film that catches you from the beginning to the end, and this is for the topics that treats; with this I do not refer to the boxing, but family conflicts, drug problems, free thought and a society that lost the sense of right and wrong.
    The Fighter portrayed a failed boxer called Micky, who is trying to improve, but because of his situation that is impossible:
    he is hunted by the shadow of success of his older brother Dicky; he is constantly attacked by his family and that is way he cannot think by himself; he is crushed by the idea that has his hometown about him (Micky is a fighter that is used by the other ones in order to category up).
    The ironic thing is that his life (a healthy boxer trying to balance his feelings between his girlfriend and his family) is control by a drug addict with a false success in life brother and by a fanatic and bipolar mother. This two support characters are the foundation of the film, because they both are trying to project a life to a utopic future, but Dicky and his mom are too blind to see the reality, because they live in the past, where Dick had dignity and Alice had common sense.
    These two characters are awesomely played by Christian Bale and Melissa Leo, those dazzling performances and the no expected one of Amy Adams, cover the wasted one of Mark Whalberg.
  22. Mar 7, 2012
    When you compare this film to other boxing films like Rocky and Raging Bull, It doesnt compete. Wahlberg was average at best in this film, Bale was simply amazing and the only reason for actually watching this. Its a slightly above average sports film, Nothing more imo.
  23. Feb 11, 2012
    THE FIGHTER: LIFE-AFFIRMING

GIVE IT A TRY IF... You are not ashamed of crying and laughing at the same time.

STEER CLEAR IF... You donâ
  24. Jan 31, 2012
    The performance of Christian Bale and Amy Adams lift this movie from mediocrity and although there is nothing surprising or that hasn't been seen before it is worth a watch although don't set your hopes too high as it's no Rocky and is a million miles from Raging Bull.
  25. Jan 18, 2012
    My friends loved this show, however, I found it to be more of a rip off of rocky, I didn't think it was as good as it could have been. However, it wasn't a bad movie. I would rate it an average movie.
  26. Jan 2, 2012
    Although predictable and not inspiring. The Fighter has incredible performances from Adams, Wahlberg, Bale, and Leo. So it basically saves the movie. I give this movie 65%.
  27. Dec 21, 2011
    Bale steals the show here, plain and simple. He truly has transformed into this role and it is just amazing to watch him in the perfection of his craft. All other players give outstanding performances but Bale drives the film and makes it interesting. This film had a tendency to drag, but the family drama is magnified to such an extent that it's hard not to feel for them. Leo gives an especially strong performance here as well and portrays yet another completely transformed character. However, this film just doesn't have that strong underdog punch that so many of us wanted to see. Expand
  28. Dec 19, 2011
    Christian Bale is amazing in this and its worth watching for him alone. It was an ok film but I just never liked it that much. Wahlberg was a disapointing lead and the script seemed to skip most of the drama that it could have capitalized on.
  29. Nov 26, 2011
    It was a decent film. The story was ok but never really hit as hard as it could have. Bale is simply amazing in this and is perfect for this film. Wahlberg is ok but he doesnt really seperate himself from other roles that he has been in. Overall its a solid film that is worth watching simply for Bale.
  30. j30
    Nov 11, 2011
    I went into this movie thinking it was just going to be another sports movie. BOY I WAS WRONG! Fantastic performances and just a great dramatic movie that leaves you pinned to your seat. It is no wonder Marky Mark tried to get this movie made.
  31. Nov 3, 2011
    It has the action, heart and emotion reminiscent of Rocky. Expertly directed and terrifically acted, The Fighter stands tall in the category of great inspirational films. 4/4 stars.
  32. Sep 25, 2011
    The story is consciously repeating what it does, which results in a frigid ending. However, its Christian Bale that you will like, not Mark Wahlberg or David Russell.
  33. Aug 28, 2011
    The story of Micky Ward, the Lowell, Massachusetts boxing underdog who fought his way to the top of the game was destined to be a movie. The Fighter features larger-than-life characters, a love story, and some truly rousing fight scenes, and yet itâ
  34. Aug 27, 2011
    The Fighter is a lot like Good Will Hunting: It's rife with thick accents, family issues, big dreaming, and more than few moments of violence. Now, that I've gotten that out of the way, I'll get to my real point. The Fighter is like Good Will Hunting because it looks like a routine genre flick, that actually ends up being an interestingly idiosyncratic drama, built on a focus on the scene behind a rather obvious, to reveal a new layer and poignant story. Expand
  35. Aug 23, 2011
    An inspiring story and Christian Bale and Melissa Leo give their best performances to date, great acting, great writing, great directing, and great storytelling make this a great movie.
  36. Aug 23, 2011
    Fighter est un véritable upercut! bien entendu, les séquences de combat sont filmées avec brio et réalisme. Mais le plus important reste la relation entre les deux frangins (Mickey et Dicky). Et même si le film nous offre une brochette d'acteurs talentueux (étonnant Mark Wahlberg), ils sont tous dépassés par Christian Bale, tout simplement exceptionnel. Voir un tel acteur dans un tel film, difficile de ce relever après ce direct! Expand
  37. Aug 6, 2011
    Spot on brilliance,realness,beauty and the kind of movie that new movies should take notes on.The kind of movie that you can really watch over and over just for the acting performances.
  38. Aug 3, 2011
    Quite simply a knockout of a film! I have to concede that initially I didn't expect to much from this film but it was an absolutely awesome movie. Unlike other boxing films that have failed The Fighter gets the right recipe in mixing together the key ingredients of the boxing, the drama, the emotion and the story in what is an extremely realistic movie its gritty and very lifelike but also provides some genuinely fun moments! The film follows the younger days of "Irish" Micky Ward (Walhberg) and his journey to become World Champion, trained by his drug-addicted brother (Christian Bale). However, its a powerful film and there are some sublime performances throughout the film which justifiably saw Christian Bale and Melissa Leo (Alice Ward, the mother) picking up Oscar's for Best Supporting Actor/Actress, Bale was outstanding as Dicky Eklund in what must be one of the performances of his career whilst Leo was at her best in her portrayal as control-freak Alice Ward, just amazing! And not forgetting Wahlberg, who for a change is actually pretty good as Ward and Amy Adams is on fine form as Charlene Fleming. What sets The Fighter apart from other failed bpxing movies is the fact that this is more than a boxing movie! Its got the perfect combination and in doing so provides an engaging, exhilarating and staggering feel-good film. A must have movie! Expand
  39. Jul 4, 2011
    How the heck this movie got such good reviews is completely beyond me. Its a joke of a film. Bales performance is way overthetop and not believable whatsoever; it boarders on fascicle and stupid. The fighting is ruined by the camera and the added sound effects which take away from the seriousness of the film. 3 is being generous its probably worth half a point. Waste of a film
  40. Jun 26, 2011
    The Fighter is a truly fine example of good old-fashioned filmmaking, but with a modern, gritty twist. Yes, Christian Bale does deserve the universal praise he has garnered as the good-for-nothing older brother, but it is as much Mark Wahlberg's film as it is Bale's (as it should be - he is the protagonist). Wahlberg gives a masterclass in the subtlety of acting, bringing across with ease what it would be like constantly living in your domineering elder brother's shadow. Unfortunately, subtlety doesn't win awards, though Wahlberg and Amy Adams should receive special recognition for sharing the screen and holding their own against the scene-stealing performances of Bale and Melissa Leo. Surprisingly enough for a boxing movie, the fights are probably the least entertaining aspect of the film, competently done though they are - it is the in-depth character development and and crackling family conflict that make The Fighter so truly memorable. Expand
  41. Jun 12, 2011
    This movie is a work of art. The acting is better then you could ever hope for in a movie and the story movies along at the perfect pace. Amy Adams, Melissa Leo and Christian Bale really deserve all the praise they are getting for what they did in this movie. Christian Bale and Mark Wahlberg clearly took the roles seriously and worked their bodies into ridiculous physical shape, both strong and strung out. This is a must see for anybody who loves movies. Expand
  42. May 20, 2011
    lets forget about the movie and talk about CHRISTIAN BALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he was excellent. CHRISTIAN BALE did a great job playing dicky. his character was touching and funny and messed up. I liked this movie because of CHRISTIAN BALE. Mark Wahlberg did okay. MELISSA LEO was great as well. Amy Adams was good.
  43. May 18, 2011
    This movie wasn't as good as the reviews suggest but it was good enough to watch and enjoy. I may possibly watch it again in the future but only because of Amy Adams.
  44. Apr 23, 2011
    O.k., so I am working my way through the films that were nominated for best picture, The Social Network...I don't understand that nomination at all, what the heck is so good about that film? When I talk about a movie that I've seen, I try to not ruin it for people that have not yet seen it, so that usually means that I can't really say anything about the ending, because just by characterizing the ending, you can say too much, so that's why I'm not going to say anything about the endings, but I will try to tell you whether it's worth your time or not. The Kids are Alright, was pretty good, so I can see it being on a list of ten films. Inception, was great, and there were some aspects of it that I loved, but I thought that it ran a tad long, and got confusing in places. Winter's Bone, I guess that you would have to characterize that as a "sleeper" film, because I don't think that it's getting the audience that it deserves. Before I saw The Fighter, I would say that Winter's Bone was the best film that I saw from 2010, it is gritty, understated, and so very worthwhile, the atmosphere in that movie was so real, so palpable, a fantastic movie to me, certainly on the list, and a contender for number one. I have my copy of The King's Speech, but I am watching it tonight, haven't seen it yet. I can be pretty critical of moves, but after watching The Fighter last night, I bow down in awe. Masterful is not too strong of a description, I can't say enough about how much I loved it, and it's based on a true story, which doesn't happen all that often. The performances were amazing and riveting. I am not one to watch movies that I've seen over again, but this one and Winter's Bone, I will, gladly. Expand
  45. Apr 23, 2011
    Rented this movie out of the Redbox. I had avoided seeing it as I figured it was just a another fight flick. Christian Bale steals the show from the first segment and keeps blazing to the end. No wonder this dude won the Acad award. Should have got best actor (sorry King). The entire cast is amazing. I loved the mother, the sisters, the family craziness. I was on the edge of dread the whole movie hoping the family wouldn't drag poor Marky Mark down with them. This is a fine move. And the best one dollar rental of the past three years. Expand
  46. Apr 20, 2011
    The acting is so sublime and the story so heart-wrenching, the movie is impossible to forget. Christian Bale stands out in my mind in what is one of the most stirring and beautifully acted roles I've seen in a while. An absolute pleasure.
  47. Mar 13, 2011
    Ah, Bale experience is always a nice one. Fine acting, nice story, not so good performance by wahlberg, but for me he is more producing genius, not so good in acting. therefore 8/10...
  48. Mar 7, 2011
    "The Fighter" is not really about boxing. Boxing is just the means to tell a story about family. The movie shows how, on the one hand a family can be an obstacle. But on the other hand, it is nice to know there is always someone standing behind you. One just has to find the balance between one's personal autonomy and a family commitment. It is interesting that we all try to first rid ourselves from dependence, but then strive to found a family in the first place. "The Fighter" has pretty good acting, as well as good filmmaking. Worth watching. Expand
  49. Mar 4, 2011
    I was dragged to The Fighter and loved it. I expected a boxing drama and got a complex story that was more about family than pugilism. Some say the performances border on caricature; I think the Wards themselves border on caricature. It doesn't matter whether Alice and Dicky, and the wonderful wolf pack of sister, were exaggerated. They brought a comic element to the movie that was unexpected and uproarious. A $200 debt invalidates one's opinions. That was funny beyond words. Melissa Leo, Christian Bale and Amy Adams were amazing. And it was a good boxing drama too. Expand
  50. Feb 24, 2011
    It could have easily been yet another underdog boxing film we have seen before, but the subtle lead performance of Wahlberg, the flawless supporting appearances of Leo and Adams but most importantly the dynamite dominating portrayal of his hero/waster/catalyst brother make this a great film to watch.
  51. Feb 21, 2011
    Led by captivating performances from Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale, Melissa Leo and Amy Adams, The Fighter is a solidly entertaining, albeit predictable, entry in the boxing drama genre.
  52. Feb 20, 2011
    Great story, great performances. I see a lot of movies but seldom am as moved as I was with this one. There was a lot of ugliness in the movie, but a lot of beauty too. Great performances by Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Melissa Leo, Mickey O'Keefe (who played himself), and Jack McGee.
  53. Feb 19, 2011
    Some of the best acting you'll see in any film this year. Adams and Leo are both great while Bale takes it to another level as Dicky Eklund. Every scene with Dicky in it is mesmerizing. The boxing scenes are very realistic, and the movie kept me entertained throughout. My only complaint would be the timeline displayed in the movie which ignores several key Micky Ward fights while completely ignoring his amazing trilogy with Arturo Gatti. Expand
  54. Feb 14, 2011
    "The Fighter is an Emotional , compelling , Truly inspirational film. Christan Bale and Mark Whalberg give the performances of there career in One of the finest boxing films i have ever seen. The Fighter will have you stand up and cheer .. SEE THIS MOVIE!!" .. A+
  55. Feb 7, 2011
    This film would have been better without the constant intrusion of the mother and family ties, half their input and more about the boxing would have been a big improvement.
  56. Feb 6, 2011
    This is ultimately a film about relationships so don't expect a film with fight scenes ever fifteen minutes. The acting in this film is generally outstanding making ever character lovable and frustrating in their own ways (except of course Wahlberg). Christian Bale is fantastic in his role, absolutely fantastic. The only thing that limits it is its grinding pace but otherwise, a great film.
  57. Feb 6, 2011
    Ok lets be fair, this isn't as good as Rocky... Or Cinderella Man, or Million Dollar Baby for that matter.. It is thoroughly watchable, but seems to be stuck in the middle ground of being a seriously great movie and a box office "hollywood" hit.
    Bale is outstanding.
    Cinema: Yeah why not,
    DVD Rental: Yeah do it.
  58. Feb 2, 2011
    I think that this film is second only to "Social Network" in the Best Picture category this year!!! Great cast, Impressive performances from all the A-list actors and Melissa Leo is definitely a dark horse for Best Supporting Actresses. I think the only knock against film is that we seen Boxing bio-pics to many time before, but just because it been done doesn't make an less of a great film. Bottom line, definitely go see this film.
    Acting: Excellent
    Storyline: Great
    Character: Classic
  59. Jan 30, 2011
    Love the genre. This film is all about Bale's ability to fit into character and steel the movie from a supporting slot. Also, it relays on the intense Mom (Melissa Leo) and great ensemble of spinster sisters. Yet, it shouldn' t be named The Fighter but My Brother's Keeper -in a perfect reference to James Joyce. Overall it is a good genre film + Bale is a must see. @cinemaquote
  60. Lyn
    Jan 28, 2011
    Painfully real at times, this movie touches on big, lofty themes while retaining a small, intimate feeling -- and even some oddly humorous moments. Christian Bale once again is astonishing, though it's painful seeing him really thin as in "The Machinist." Somehow I felt Mark Wahlberg could have done more with his character; it's not as if he's terrible, but I could picture any number of other actors in the role. Expand
  61. Jan 24, 2011
    Exceptional Cast, In the right mood on the right day this fine piece of film will draw every emotion, Perfectly set and acted with locals in Lowell, MA. (lived there). Hats off to Christian Bale, Drops weight again, (will gain again soon). Great film.
  62. Jan 24, 2011
    Great movie. Bale does a great job portraying a crack head, very believable. The actors do a great job of portraying lowell and new england. Not a glamorized boxing movie, seemed very real.
  63. Jan 23, 2011
    Horrible movie. Another boring boxing movie filled with unnecessary drama? We need something new. I would much rather watch Reel Steel than this rubbish of a movie.
  64. Jan 23, 2011
    The first time I saw Christian Bale was in Steven Spielbergâ
  65. Jan 23, 2011
    Great performances by the four core actors (Whalberg, Bale, Leo, Adams) but also a great story that takes you on an emotional ride in the Ecklund/Ward family. A classic story of redemption.
  66. Jan 22, 2011
    Just got back from the theater and I must say that fighter is an amazing film. From the art of the directing style to the emotionally gripping pieces, It is nothing short of a master piece.
  67. Jan 22, 2011
    the cast did a wonderful in this movie. everybody did a great job. the cast made this movie good. Very good script. One of the best boxing movie I seen. Fantastic movie. I didn't think it was going be good at all. I usually don't watch movie about sports and bade on a true story. This movie deserve all the awards it getting. This is Amy Adams best movie so far. I love Amy Adams now because of this movie she is one of my favorite actress. I think everybody should see this movie. It is definitely worth your time. Expand
  68. Jan 22, 2011
    A strong cast--Christian Bale, Mark Wahlberg, and the dysfunctional family, sound pitch-perfect as people caught in the riptide of addiction. The mother from hell and her harpies add punch to the major characters. We're in Lowell; we want out.
  69. Jan 19, 2011
    Like Rocky but with backbone and edge to tell a story rather than entertain. What made me want to watch this movie was Mark Wahlberg's immaculate performance in 'The Departed' which surpassed Damon's, DiCaprio's and Nicholson's all at once in the same film. Once again the acting is near perfect and not just from Wahlberg, but from Bale, Adams, Leo, the WHOLE cast seems to ooze the reality of a Massachusetts neighbourhood. I suppose what's most important is that i feel like I've just read Micky Ward's autobiography and know all the details about his rise to brilliance. Personally, the best mainstream film and my favourite film of 2010. Personally, I would build O' Russell a house with mountains of BAFTA's and Oscar's he deserves. Expand
  70. Jan 18, 2011
    I was very hesitant to see this film, because I hate sports movies about the underdog that wins the big game/match at the end. There are a hundred of those movies and I'm sick of them. This movie, happily, is not about the boxing. It is about the family dynamic. Christian Bale is the standout performance. He's barely recognizable in the film, having lost a lot of weight for the part and made up to play the crack addict brother. The movie straddles the line between humor and drama and you get attached to the characters. Definitely one of the 10 best films of the year. Expand
  71. Jan 12, 2011
    One of the better sports films of the last decade, The Fighter combines great acting, exciting fight sequences, and a powerful script to make an overall great film. Likely to be nominated for best picture at the Oscars.
  72. Jan 8, 2011
    I really wanted to love this movie. After reading the reviews and seeing the trailer, I had such high hopes for The Fighter. I was so very disappointed. The acting was outstanding, however, the characters never drew me in. I felt bored throughout the whole movie. It was just so predictable, and long.
  73. Jan 7, 2011
    As good as my favorite movie of last year, The Wrestler. Similar great supporting roles and sympathetic hero. Christian Bale and Melissa Leo should get nominations for best supporting roles...Amy Adams might get a nod as well. Only reason I don't give The Fighter a 10 is Mark Wahlberg's good,but not exceptional work as main character. Some critics have not liked the humor that pops up from time to time in the movie. I could not disagree more...this is exactly what makes the whole thing work.Watching crack-high Bales dive out the window to avoid his family is priceless and sad at the same time. See it Expand
  74. Jan 6, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For a script that was ignored by both Aronofsky and Scorsese , David O.Russell has shown very well that he too can uplift an audience.

The Fighter is a fat bundle of sentiments and emotions, just like the last scene (the famous Shea Neary win,click here for real-life footage), not only for familial bond that â
  75. Jan 5, 2011
    Sooooo goood! All around great job by all actors. Christian Bale stood out especially. Mark Wahlberg also does a great job. Amy Adams turns in a really good performance as well.
  76. Jan 5, 2011
    Very good movie. Part sports movie part family drama. Part Raging Bull part Rocky. The acting is the standout here however. Mark Wahlberg does a good job but for me Christian Bale steals the show. I'm going to bet on a Oscar nom for this performance. At times you hate Dicky and don't want to see him come back from the abyss but in the end you have to give in to him just like Micky does. Also good work from the female cast with Adams and Leo both brilliant. If you like a solid rousing sports movie you'll like this. Expand
  77. Dec 31, 2010
    Superb. The best part for me was the comedy offered by the female characters and Bale's perf as the crack addicted half brother. The story was told without silly camera moves or other self-indulgent nonsense so often deployed by Spike Lee, Scorcese, Tarantino and Aronofsky. Simple effective and engaging entertainment.
  78. Dec 31, 2010
    Based on a true story of professional boxer Micky Ward, The Fighter is about how Micky Ward (Mark Wahlberg) fights his way of family and friends to the championship title. Dicky (Christian Bale), Micky's half-brother and trainer, is a drug addict that always fail to show up for training. Their relationship is complicated because Micky wanted more than just a crackhead brother who doesn't know what he's doing. Supporting along that line come Alice (Mellisa Leo), the brothers' mother and manager, who also wants Micky to stay with her and Dicky instead of going to someone better. After meeting the love of his life Charlene (Amy Adams), who convinced Micky that his family's no good, he decided to go on and try something else. Success with the new manager and trainer, Micky got the shot of the title match. Mark Walhberg who plays the boxer is to many critics the lowpoint of the film. Everytime the camera focuses on him, it seems like he doesn't have anything to say. Perhaps the writing for Walhberg isn't as concentrated and too vague compare to his co-stars. Walhberg was suppose to carry the film with his role but instead it felt like his co-star Christian Bale did all the heavy lifting. Playing a drug addict who went to jail for resisting arrest and assaulting an officer, Bale (Dicky) was at his best. Emotionally understanding and physically confused by years of sitting on his ass, Dicky's only job was to train his brother into the championship. Bale gave up this amazing vibe that he knows what he's doing but at the same time too confused to do it right. The film, rather than focusing on Mark Walhberg, did a completely different character study on Christian Bale. Carrying along the heavy loads are Mellisa Leo and Amy Adams who played the mother and girlfriend of Walhberg. Leo and Adams had a chemistry in which both hated each other and both share the same goal of helping Dicky. Delivering explicit lines, Amy Adams is the best I've seen her in years. With two Oscar nominations already, she might even earn her third. Though the cast is above average, the writing in some parts were off. It seems like the writers wanted the actors themselves to carry the film without dialogue. They thought they can depend on the actors, but it is impossible for the actors to do any good without a solid script. David O. Russell finely crafted the film, but at times, it looked as if only the fighting scenes count. Focusing too much on the fights instead aiming to offer drama, he made the movie looked like an ESPN fight show. But set aside all of that, David O. Russell's got a talent in him and the fight scenes do look amazing. Perhaps his biggest contribution to the film is his directing of the cast.

The Fighter has a predictable plot yet it pulls out so much depth offered by the cast that we can say The Fighter is finely entertaining. OscarBuzz: Best Picture (with 10 nod this year, it will be nominated), Best Supporting Actor (Christian Bale, win), Best Supporting Actress (Mellisa Leo, Amy Adams, both have a good chance), Best Score, Best Cinematography
  79. Dec 30, 2010
    This movie is not a boxing classic--whoever said that. The characters seem to be something of a caricature--do people like this really exist? I just can't imagine there are real people so 'in your face.' Bale was barely recognizable--too much over the top as a crack addict.

i don't understand the attraction of Mark Wahlberg. He seems to have no range with either physical or emotional
    acting. It was hard for me not to leave in the middle of the movie. It was trying to be edgy but was basically uninteresting. Expand
  80. Dec 29, 2010
    Solid story of redemption. The climatic boxing footage is surprisingly real...like real-real. I found myself pumping my fist after Ward landed his vintage left hook to the body. Still, despite as the world has told you already, Bale's (again) masterful transformation, I wasn't knocked out (call it an 8-count though)....Like I wanted to be. Gatti-Ward 2 was better. Props to David O'Russell though for admirably adding to the VERY short list of excellent sports films that aren't really about sports. Plus that pot shot at Belle Epoque...classic. Expand
  81. Dec 29, 2010
    A good movie that had two serious false notes. 1) It portrayed Micky Ward, a boxer who in reality was always willing to go toe-to-toe with his opponents, as a defenseless punching bag. The only conceivable reason was to manipulate the audience into worrying about him. 2) The Cambodian crack-whore character didn't look remotely strung out. Not only was she gorgeous, she looked healthier than anybody in the theatre. Expand
  82. Dec 28, 2010
    As a huge fight fan, and a fan of Micky Ward, I was hugely disappointed that this movie isn't better than it is. Mark W plays that same character he always plays. I love Melissa Leo from "Homicide" and "Frozen River", but her role borders on caricature. Similarly, Christian Bale completely overplays his part. The 6 or 7 sisters are hilarious, but not at all realistic. Amy Adams does a terrific job, however - she's the standout here. And on a final note - I was very disappointed that they didn't get to any of the Gatti bouts. Those were incredible fights and said so much about Ward's character. Expand
  83. Dec 28, 2010
    This movie brought a tear to my eye. Being former golden gloves myself, I can say 100% that they nailed the gritty life of a pro boxer with this film. The brother dynamic that the actors captured is genuine and moving. This film is on par with the likes of Ali and Cinderella Man and exceeds them in a few ways. Hope this review helps.
  84. Dec 27, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Exactly how uneducated and emotionally stunted are the fighter's seven sisters, the hairspray-addled girls who give Charlene(Amy Adams), a barmaid, such a hard time? Very uneducated. Very, very stunted. That's how much. Concerning adulthood, the "girls" put to mind that old adage, "they know the words, but not the music". Set in 1993, the Ecklund sisters, some of them clearly pushing forty(Asian women age better), are like eternal teenagers, catty and fiercely cliquish, under the watchful eye of a domineering mother, so eighties, it hurts just looking at them. That Alice(Melissa Leo), she's a real piece of work. Her kids are all messed up. The movie's use of Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again" suggests that Nirvana never made it to Lowell, Massachusetts. While it's the brothers who know how to take and deliver a punch, the sisters seem to be the ones who ended up punch-drunk. To them, a college...dropout, not a graduate, mind you, is cause for class warfare. Any man alive, let alone a woman, has to be brave to enter the Ecklund household; enter the fighter's girlfriend, a former URI high-jumper, categorically dismissed as that "MTV girl", a woman deemed by the "white trash" Greek chorus to be something akin to a fleshy hood ornament on David Coverdale's car, weathers the name-calling and wouldn't be faulted if she chose to fight fire with fire, by pointing out the elephant in the room that Dickie(Christian Bale) brings into the open during the film's most telling scene. Tired of living in his brother's shadow, Micky finally summons up enough intestinal fortitude to set his vampiric family straight, when the aging pugilist announces his plans to tarin year-round in Las Vegas, while Charlene sits not-so-quietly on the couch, lending moral support throughout this long-overdue ostracization process. The wisdom of the move, of course, is challenged. First, by Alice, who resorts to emotional blackmail so transparent, a panel of judges, if there was one present, would have awarded the fight to Micky, by unanimous decision, and then by a brother whose rhetoric functions like punches that never land. Swing and miss, swing and miss goes Dicky(whose claim to fame was a moral victory over middleweight boxing legend Sugar Ray Leonard...almost fourteen years ago), and his mouth, spouting out the pros of staying home to train, just like he did in his prime, without a trace of self-awareness about the ramifications that this tragic decision entailed. Because Dicky remained staunchly local, and surrounded himself with the dope fiends of this working class borough(he's known as "The Pride of Lowell"), he helped contribute to his own demise, succumbing like he did, to the crackheads and the prevailing milieu of social and economical decay. He had help, of course, but nobody has the heart, not even Charlene who claims to hate him, least of all, the fighter's father(henpecked to death by Alice) and the fighter himself, to lay bare the facts about this almost famous fighter's life since his brief taste of fleeting fame. "The Fighter" doesn't spell it out for moviegoers, but everybody can plainly see how the matriarch's sick promotion of familial tribalism(it's sick because Alice is willing to repeat the same mistakes with Micky) led to he favorite son's downward spiral, not to mention, the smaller roundabout southbound spirals of her cartoonish sisters. Speaking of cartoons, that's what the multiple incidents at the neighborhood crack house resemble, a Warner Brothers short, in which the mother and first-born son take on the personas of the Road Runner(she's fast, beep-beep, nine kids) and Wile E. Coyote. (Dicky has a friend he calls "Boo-Boo", which makes him Yogi Bear, I guess.) Like the feral dog, the crackhead constantly finds himself in the same fatalistic predicament; he's falling down from a high place, a "cliff"(an open window), that ends with a thud(instead of the canyon floor's hard surface, he lands on a bed of garbage bags), in which he miraculously walks away from with nary a scratch. The coyote nearly kills the lightning-fast bird. Likewise, it's what Dicky does to his mother each time she surprises him at his drug den, that is, until Alice's compartmentalizing skills takes on a life of its own, by which she compartmentalizes the truth away. So Micky stays east-side, and eventually breaks away from his Looney Tunes family, but it's only temporary, since the whole clan is back in the fold before Ward's title bout with Englishman Shea Neary. As a result, Micky's victory feels somewhat tempered by Dicky's all-consuming hunger for recognition, co-opting his brother's success into his own, by feeding on the championship boxer's afterglow. True to form, during the post-script, some doc footage shows Ward struggling to get a word in edgewise from his showboating older brother, trying to steal the movie, and perhaps, succeeding. Expand
  85. Dec 27, 2010
    rich, complex characters. incredibly well told story. christian bale should win. i can't believe i'm saying this, but it was my favorite movie of the year. definitely a must see.
  86. Dec 26, 2010
    Completely disregard Bama72's entire review. He is obviously a troll on the metacritic website. This movie was fantastic! The cast was perfect, and Christian Bale's performance was dead on. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins best supporting actor.
  87. Dec 26, 2010
    Uniquely written, floundering back and forth between drama and comedy, then depressing, yet optimistic. Christian Bale displays one of the finest acting performances I've ever seen. Although pieces of it played out as too Hollywood, especially the ending, it was beautifully shot and very entertaining.
  88. Dec 26, 2010
    A great sports drama, elevated by powerful supporting turns from Bale, Adams, and Leo. The story is uplifting, without being melodramatic, and is greatly helped by Russell's realistic direction. If Bale does not win, let alone be nominated for, an Oscar for this, I'll be shocked, as it's right up the Academy's alley.
  89. Dec 23, 2010
    Most realistic boxing action yet to grace itself on the big screen. Memorable and convincing roles from Adams and Bale make this one of the best movies of the year. Wahlberg takes us somewhere special in the ring, but loses his rhythm amidst the side plots and out-of-ring action. Overall, you have to give credit where credit is earned, and The Fighter does just that as it throws you with a hook that you can't seem to dodge. Highly recommended; a can't miss holiday outing. Expand
  90. Dec 22, 2010
    Who doesn't like an underdog story? We haven't had one this good in a long time. I went for Amy Adams and Christian Bale, but was pleasantly surprised at Mark Wahlberg's understated, calm performance. In a film with so many intense characters, it is not easy to hold your own without screaming and punching. Miraculously, Wahlberg - the fighter - is the least aggressive yet gives some clarity to the chaos. Expand
  91. Dec 22, 2010
    If you stay for the credits and see the real Dicky and Micky, you realize you've just watched the truth. This movie is the truth. Pure and perfection. Hiring the guys who actually do the fights for HBO added to the authenticity. I just have to wonder who yelled the most... Bale or Russell. But who cares. They made a classic. Bravo.
  92. Dec 21, 2010
    Passionate, powerhouse performances. Amy Adams is amazing. Mark Whalberg is a knockout. Christian Bale is scary good and ridiculously convincing! See. This. Movie.
  93. Dec 21, 2010
    Amazing movie with very believable actors and a classic portrayal of Micky Wards life. Christian Bale absolutely deserves the Best Supporting Actor award. I only wish they would have put at least the first Gatti fight in. BTW the kid who said the KO of the Mexican was unbelievable and ill rehearsed is a moron, don't listen to him, it was IDENTICAL to the actual fight.
  94. Dec 21, 2010
    Though it might not be the next "Rocky" or "Raging Bull", "The Fighter" is built by a very strong supporting cast that should make this a strong addition to the Boxing Genre in movies.
  95. Dec 20, 2010
    The advertising leads you to believe this film is about Mark Wahlberg's character "Irish" Micky Ward, who once held the world welterweight boxing title. But this film is as much about his brother (astoundingly played by Christian Bale) and his mother (an incredible performance by Melissa Leo) and the twistsed/loving relationship they all had. Director David O. Russell has created a world that feels completely real, a bit freakish and almost stylized in its comic moments (especially the sisters). Every scene is layered, dynamic and a virtuoso spectacle of directing and acting. Expand
  96. Dec 19, 2010
    With films such as Rocky or Raging Bull, it would seem as if that boxing-based movies would be a died out and worn out genre. While I will not say director David Russell's The Fighter brings a new aspect to the table, his film extensively brings out the talent of its actors overshadowing the ensemble of other 2010 favorite Inception. The Fighter is a well-directed and captivating piece, and is as true as its performances.

The Fighter is a biographical film depicting the life of aspiring professional boxer Mickey Ward, played by the surprisingly multi-dimensional Wahlberg, and his half-brother Dicky Eklund (Christian Bale). Ward is living under the shadow of Dicky, a former boxer who falls into the nightmare of crack addiction and violence. When Dicky faces a full decline, Ward, with the aid of love interest Charlene Fleming (Amy Adams), he learns he must rely on his own decisions to find success. Complimented by Wahlberg's acting, Adams puts on her finest performance since 2008's Doubt. Melissa Leo, who plays Mickey's overbearing mother, also gives a commendable act.

The film is not solely based on the sport and Ward's effort to "rise to the top." Instead, The Fighter also diverges into two trails illustrating the drug addiction of character Dicky Eklund, who is magnificently played by Christian Bale. Let me say this, Christian Bale gives an unforgettable tour de force performance. No matter what opinion you may have on Bale, from his viral outburst to his laughable performances in the Batman series, the actor is unbelievably good. Bale puts underlying passion and grit into his performance that will crawl under the skin causing either a sense of deep pathos or disturbance. The Fighter is a captivating film with an ample spectrum of emotion. While telling a "rags to riches" story, it also gives an illustrative view into the lower classes of White America. Although the movie's story is overall somewhat cliche and predictable, the depth put on the ensemble and direction makes it solid entertainment and subtle commentary. It at first is slow to buildup, but The Fighter, led by its magnificent trio, will grab and toss you in multiple directions.
  97. Dec 19, 2010
    Wahlberg not Warlberg...sorry. My impressions remain the same with regard to my earlier review of this fantastic movie !!!! Additionally, I must also compliment the other actors who all played an integral role in without this total chemistry it may have just been good rather than fantastic.
  98. Dec 18, 2010
    If I'm going to watch a film about a bunch of classless characters (with the exception of Wahlberg's) at least show it to me with some class...throw me an original music score, exercise style with the camera, instead of relying in only hand held close-ups. The fighting sequences were awful..they felt artificial and under-rehearsed (specially the one in which Ward knocks out the boxer from mexico). Walhberg played it soft, but maybe too soft....
    Bale's performance was mostly shocking, and although for some moments it felt too chaotic and over the top, it should be the only reason for anyone to watch this film.
    -5.5-
  99. Dec 18, 2010
    This is the best movie I have seen in a long time. Great acting all way around. Good script and the action was superb. I heard several people watching saying they got goosebumps from several scenes. Hard to imagine a better movie this year.
  100. Dec 18, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You can't necessarily blame Wahlberg, as his modest performance is the one element that feels truly authentic and heartfelt. follow review in http://www.cinscreen.com/?id=1107 Expand

1. Reviewed by: Adam Smith
    Jan 31, 2011
    An exhilarating fight-flick that, like its scrappy central character, is impossible not to root for.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Jan 4, 2011
    Urgent, gritty, sometimes weirdly funny, The Fighter might be considered his first feel-good movie. But Russell's too honest and acute an observer to serve up affirmation without leaving a subversive aftertaste of ambivalence and unease.
  3. Reviewed by: Calvin Wilson
    Dec 17, 2010
    Director David O. Russell ("Three Kings") delivers a film of staggering impact.