7.0

1. Dec 1, 2012
    "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest" is the final completion of the Millennium trilogy which main advantage was the original novel by Stieg Larsson. We, the observers of these three movies, know pretty much all about Lisbeth Salander of the first two films. We've got other disgusting characters in the 3d movie of the series and we've got some other brutal homicides. Daniel Alfredson, who directed the pretty good "The Girl Who Played With Fire" was also making this movie and he was kind of successful with it. But just kind of. Props to him for selecting the important scenes out of this really big novel, criticism for him for not making it thrilling. Of course, there are some parts it gets enthralling but the main part of this movie is actually calm. Lisbeth is curing before getting into the lawsuit and as you should've expected it's nothing spectacular. Some scenes are nice, some scenes are too slow after my fancy. See, the film is not bad - if the Millennium trilogy would've been a short TV series, this could be a felicitous last episode - but as a 140 minute film it gets sluggish. I'm not as disappointed as I was with "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" but "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest" isn't a good film either. However, I was entertained relatively all the time and if you've reasonably enjoyed the first two pictures I'd also recommend you to watch this one. In fine, it just lacks a real blast. Even the final scene is non-satisfying; I intensively hoped for another last scene after the credits (which didn't come). That's it, the final movie of the Millennium trilogy is nothing more than an 'okay'. Expand
  2. j30
    Jan 30, 2012
    A nicely wrapped up 3rd installment to Steig Larsson's movie adapted trilogy. The change in director, in the second film, might of been the downfall to what could have been an excellent trilogy. Noomi Rapace still kills it as Lisbeth Salender.
  3. Dec 1, 2011
    The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest brings the Millennium trilogy to a pretty satisfying conclusion. It still doesn't quite live up to the stunning first film of the series, but is much more evenly paced and consistent in tone than the second film. Thankfully Michael Nyqvist gets more more to do this time round, and keeps Mikael Blomkvist a well-rounded and engaging protagonist. Noomi Rapace is still a joy to watch, though she does suffer from a similar fate to Nyqvist in the previous film, that is to say, her character becomes relatively passive in terms of the overall story - this is Blomkvist's film, not Lisbeth's (so I guess the imbalance in The Girl Who Played with Fire where he was sidelined so Lisbeth could take centre-stage is redressed). The film is never as narratively tight or quite as well-crafted as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - like the second film, Hornet's Nest's plot is a little convoluted, with narrative strands all over the place, a few of which are barely resolved by the film's finale (which, on a side note, is a little ridiculous). That said, the film is never boring, and the 145 minute run-time flies by. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest gives the series closure, and returning director Daniel Alfredson, who took a little time to find his feet in The Girl Who Played with Fire has given the late Stieg Larsson's characters a good sendoff. Expand
  4. Mar 22, 2011
    The ending of the movie trilogy. In totality, the three were each better than anything I saw released by the major domestic studios during 2010. And the third part is fulfilling if not as action packed as the other two. It'll be interesting to see if the American remake can beat this Swedish production. Noomi rocks the role of Lisbeth!
  5. Lyn
    Dec 23, 2010
    The challenge of "Hornet's Nest" -- the novel -- was to keep the plot moving and and the reader engrossed while our beloved Lisbeth is mostly laid up in a hospital and out of commission. Somehow, the book succeeds at this better than the movie does. Don't get me wrong: It brings things to a satisfying end if you've read all the books and seen the other two films. But this movie would be the least interesting for people approaching it on its own merits. Expand
  6. Dec 12, 2010
    The last of of the trilogy is not as powerful as the first two as it is slower in pace and restricted too much inside (hospitals, courts,etc..) and the revelations have a lower surprise factor. the trilogy is being remade by Hollywood, but I fail to see if they can do more justice to Larsson's books.
  7. Dec 1, 2010
    The third and the last installment of the Millenium triology left us definitely wanting for more, of the book, not so much the films. It does not pack any action and mostly focuses on a courtroom, Salander's love life, and Blomkvist running errands. Though it wasn't action packed, Noomi Rapace still kept her performance solid as rock. From her expressionless face to her crooked smile, Lisbeth Salander had become an icon for women everywhere. Expand
  8. Nov 29, 2010
    These Swedish films are based on author Stieg Larsson's very popular "Millennium" trilogy of books.
    The "Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" is the first, and "The Girl Who Played With Fire" is the second, while "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest" is the last in the series.
    All three should be viewed in sequence. Be sure to get the Swedish originals instead of the Hollywood remakes.
    Each
    of the three is stylistically different, but each is qualitatively in the top 10 percent of movies ever made - a 10 rating.
    Tattoo is essentially a murder mystery and is nicely developed at a relaxed pace. The main point in this is the introduction of the girl, who is a fascinating personality that constitutes a underlying mystery within the mystery explored in the film itself. This mystery of the Girl is revealed in the next two films in the series.
    Fire is a mystery-action movie, and unlike the relaxed pace of Tattoo (to emphasis the mystery), Fire has a fast pace that emphasizes the action.
    The mystery of the Girl is completely revealed in Nest, the final movie. Simultaneous plots are shown in shifts back and forth, which is potentially confusing for some viewers. However, this is skillfully accomplished as the plots of the investigation, the trial, and the experiences of the girl through all of this are depicted.
    This is an outstanding set of three movies. People that don't speak Swedish and who do not like sub-titles may not like this aspect of the movies, but there is also a fine version of Tattoo (the first movie) that is English dubbed. English dubbed versions of the second and third of the set may be forthcoming.
  9. Nov 9, 2010
    I'd given "Played with Fire" a 7, but I feel that was a bit too generous. This film is clearly a 7. It wraps up the 3 stories well, but it's nowhere near the classic that "Dragon Tattoo" is. I hear that it's quite different than the book, so check this one out even if you were mildly disappointed by the 2nd one.
  10. Nov 7, 2010
    This was a good film. What's interesting is that translations and titles are so important with the general perception of the film. I saw Millennium 3 with Spanish subtitles where I had seen the first two films with English subtitles. I found that even the title; "Millennium" vs. "The Girl who" created a different emphasis on the viewer. Watching Millennium the viewer feels like a reporter for the magazine, and as the mystery unfolds you find yourself asking the same questions the characters do. Should we publish this story? Can this be real? I agree this film was better than the second one. Overall the first film is the best of the bunch and is really the only one that you can view as a stand alone film. Having seen all three films within a two month period I found this was a good conclusion to the trilogy. I just would not recommend it unless you've seen Millennium 1 and 2. Expand
  11. Nov 3, 2010
    I enjoyed this final film in the trilogy. That said, I found it a rather methodical film where the high points really did not deliver the viewer satisfaction we expect. Take the final minutes of "Michael Clayton" for example. That was intense and a huge payoff. Here the emotion seemed lacking. Still, I enjoyed the entire trilogy.
  12. Nov 1, 2010
    This is definitely head & shoulders above the second installment, though still not as good as the first. There's none of the awkwardness of the second movie. It's definitely faster paced, and a bit more action oriented, but overall well done. For people who enjoyed the first movie, and who have a bad taste in their mouths from the second film, this should wash away that nasty aftertaste.
  13. Nov 1, 2010
    Slightly more satisfying and structured than the second part of the trilogy but nowhere near as good as the first. The fans of the novels will probably be happy to see the conclusion of the events, but regular viewers might wonder what the fuss is all about. I'm usually adamantly against the US remakes of world cinema hits (be they European or Asian), but I strongly suspect that at least parts 2 and 3 of the Millennium Trilogy will be much better remade. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Nov 22, 2010
    A pick-up after the second film, if not as assured as the first. Rapace sets a high watermark for Rooney Mara in David Fincher's remakes.
  2. Reviewed by: Roger Moore
    Nov 10, 2010
    This mismatched "couple" - have made, over the course of three long subtitled Swedish thrillers, the most dynamic duo of recent cinema history.
  3. Reviewed by: Connie Ogle
    Nov 4, 2010
    In some ways, better than its book.