8.0

1. Dec 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First I want to put a stop to all those people out there claiming this is a remake. That's like saying I'm making a Frankenstein movie today would be a remake over the bunch of others that came out before that was adapted from Mary Shelley's book. This movie is Fincher's adaptation on Stieg Larson's novel of the same name. Just like the Swedish one was there adaptation of the same book. It's a 2nd American, Fincher's, whatever you want to call it, adaptation of the book. Now that I got that out of the way I gotta say it's rare to have a movie come out as good or better then the book. Godfather for example but this "adaptation" of Stieg Larson's novel in ways is as good if not better then the book. I am a fan of the Swedish adaptation and though it followed the mystery element of the story I was disappointed at the key elements they took out from the book that were important to building depth and substance to the characters. I thought non readers of the book were a little robbed on knowing more about the unique and original character of Lisbeth Salander. David Fincher brought those elements into this movie so well that I felt after seeing it that somebody could watch the movie and get everything from the book without reading it. The story was told so beautiful keeping the character depth, the elements, and the story true to the book. Fincher even shortened long sequences in the book into brilliant short scenes that in a way was better then the book. The parts they took out were minimal things that didn't effect character building or the story one bit and even thought what they left out should've been left out of the movie when I first read it. There's even a slight twist at the end that was welcoming to me that read it differently. It was a twist that didn't effect the story and I actually enjoyed it more then how it played out in the book. The nice grey hue Fincher films it makes it look like a disturbing cold winter that I felt in the book. Throw Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross's music into the mix really put to ear the feeling and emotion taking place throughout the story. Fincher being known for his amazing and original open title sequence doesn't let us down. Opens to Karen O Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross remake of Zepplin's Immigrant song really get's you into the mood for the movie and only gets better from there. If you're looking for a great mystery with dark elements this is your movie.
    Now I just have to say Noomi Rapace is a great actor but I thought Rooney Mara was way better as Lisbeth Salander. Not saying Noomi was bad , it's just for this role Rooney fit and played her better. In fact good enough for a best actress nod. She had Lisbeth's quirks down all the way to how she held and smoked her cigarettes. She did her homework and really became Lisbeth Salander. She did a brilliant job make her a believable intelligent, tough, and at times vulnerable person. Now in the book she's a uniquely beautiful, 90lb 23 year old with tattoos piercings and a childlike face. Rooney Mara has that physical look more then Noomi Rapace did. Add that to everything else made her nothing short of amazing. Heard Natalie Portman and Keira Knightly were to get the part and it landed on Rooney. Even as brilliant as those actors are I wouldn't think they would've been Lisbeth Salander as well as Rooney. Natalie is too tan and Keira is too pretty. She has to be a beauty that is different and unique. Rooney Mara's beauty still showed after the dyed hair tattoos and piercings and unique. I fell in love with her by the end of the movie. I want to see Rooney not only in the next 2 movies from the Larsson trilogy but want to just see more of her in movies in general. I became an instant Rooney fan after she played Lisbeth so brilliantly. I hope to see Oscar nods for best actress Rooney Mara best music Trent Reznor Atticus Ross and Karen O, Best Director David Fincher, after his shaft last year for Social Network by The King's Speech. Also would love to see a Best Adapted Screenplay for David Zallian. Must go see this movie. Can't believe anyody who would hate this unless you dislike mysteries. If your looking for mindless action with non depth characters and weak plot point storylines then don't see this movie. It's a great breath of fresh air from all the holidays movies. It's a brilliant non heartearming dark murder mystery for the holidays.
  2. Dec 20, 2011
    David Fincher returns to his roots and directs a near perfect neo-noir pyschological thriller. Rooney Mara also returns from her minor role in The Social Network and proves that she is more than capable of becoming an A-list actor. If the film only focused more on Lisbeth's dark past rather than glossing over it, the film would be perfect.
  3. Dec 21, 2011
    I LOVED the original, Swedish version. I though "ok, this will be good, but it's still a remake." Sure, the film is a remake of the Swedish version because "American's don't read subtitles," but usually they aren't as good as the original, they certainly don't surpass it, TGWTDT did that. It's better than the already great original film.
  4. Dec 25, 2011
    Excellent. Engaging for the whole time. I'm thinking Brendan shouldn't go to anymore movies... just in case they might be a remake; it is obvious he didn't judge this movie on it merits. Though it is a long movie, it keep me wondering what was going to happen next, and I wasn't bored (and I don't like movies over 2 hours, just too self-indulgent by the director usually) but this oneExcellent. Engaging for the whole time. I'm thinking Brendan shouldn't go to anymore movies... just in case they might be a remake; it is obvious he didn't judge this movie on it merits. Though it is a long movie, it keep me wondering what was going to happen next, and I wasn't bored (and I don't like movies over 2 hours, just too self-indulgent by the director usually) but this one succeeds where other directors and editors lose their way. Expand
  5. Dec 28, 2011
    Alright, let's get one thing straight. David Fincher directed an ADAPTATION of the original novel by Stieg Larsson. And it's an EXCELLENT one at that.
    The film is dark, eerie, creepy, and disturbing and graphic... and that's what makes it excellent! The cinematography is gorgeous, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross once again compose another Oscar-worthy film score, and David Fincher's direction is exceptional. What makes it better is Rooney Mara's portrayal of Lisbeth Salander (she's a GIANT badass in the film) and its being more faithful to the novel.
    Should you see this film? Yes, you should.
    Ps. To the negative reviews saying that it drags on too long, quit your **** You couldn't be any more wrong. I saw the film and I felt the time go way too fast, I desired more when the credits began to roll, even if I know how it ends.
  6. Dec 23, 2011
    I've read the books and seen the original Swedish movies - I'm a fan. This was very well made, engrossing, enjoyable and well worth the time spent. The fact that I knew the plot and had seen the prior film did not diminish the experience - it was intriguing to see what another director would do with the book, and he did a great job. Go see it - you won't be disappointed (as opposed to theI've read the books and seen the original Swedish movies - I'm a fan. This was very well made, engrossing, enjoyable and well worth the time spent. The fact that I knew the plot and had seen the prior film did not diminish the experience - it was intriguing to see what another director would do with the book, and he did a great job. Go see it - you won't be disappointed (as opposed to the Mission Impossible film, by the way, which was ridiculously bad. Just had to put that negative plug in there). Expand
  7. Jan 5, 2012
    Slick... Stylish... Smart... Sexy... Scary... Not for the faint of heart or the prude. I like a good mystery especially one that keeps you guessing but it should have come with cliff notes because it was too hard to follow. Secondly, It really would have been a better film if it were shorter. The climax was suppressed because they tacked-on an extra storyline to the last twenty minutes.Slick... Stylish... Smart... Sexy... Scary... Not for the faint of heart or the prude. I like a good mystery especially one that keeps you guessing but it should have come with cliff notes because it was too hard to follow. Secondly, It really would have been a better film if it were shorter. The climax was suppressed because they tacked-on an extra storyline to the last twenty minutes. Finally, "Q" would approve of all the "gratuitous sex and violence", (or in this case "sexual violence"). Unless you are a hardened masochist you WILL be shocked and offended. I had better not see anyone taking their minor children into this one. All that said... I thought it was a pretty great adult film. Expand
  8. Jan 14, 2012
    The question is, would you rather watch an excellent David Fincher film or have the world's most passionate feminist scream in your face and then punch you in the stomach? You can have both here without the physical pain of course, but you better have something soft and warm to hug by the time the credits appear.
  9. Feb 15, 2012
    I have to stay really honest here, and I must say that I haven't seen a better movie in past, well, year and a half, maybe. I'm so captivated by it, and I still think about the movie's plot and the characters, who did an amazing job, especially Rooney Mara. I haven't seen the Swedish version yet ( the original - always the best ) but this movie is quite perfect. I usually oversleep movies,I have to stay really honest here, and I must say that I haven't seen a better movie in past, well, year and a half, maybe. I'm so captivated by it, and I still think about the movie's plot and the characters, who did an amazing job, especially Rooney Mara. I haven't seen the Swedish version yet ( the original - always the best ) but this movie is quite perfect. I usually oversleep movies, but dude, was I awake. It kept my attention till the end. I highly recommend this movie. Expand
  10. Jan 6, 2012
    Solid movie, and unexpectedly excellent acting from Mara - absolutely great in the role and very brave / honest / touching in the way she did it. To me, the first 2/3 of the movie worked much better than the last act, both in terms of plot and pacing.
  11. Feb 11, 2012
    David Fincher did his lurid best. See this English adaptation with fresh look. Rooney Mara's Lisbeth Salander is different with Noomi Rapace's. And also the movie, although a drawback but it's different air. Not Fincher's best work but it also great in every level.
  12. Jan 7, 2012
    Excellent drama and suspense in this film all the way through. There were some unnecessary scenes that were a little over the top for my taste but overall a very enjoyable film.
  13. Mar 20, 2012
    The original "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" was an exemplary film. It had great characters and an extremely smart and suspenseful plot. Then David Fincher's version of the film came out and totally blew the original out of the water. The characters were fleshed out more, especially the exquisite Lisbeth Salander played beautifully by Rooney Mara, who totally deserved Best Actress overThe original "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" was an exemplary film. It had great characters and an extremely smart and suspenseful plot. Then David Fincher's version of the film came out and totally blew the original out of the water. The characters were fleshed out more, especially the exquisite Lisbeth Salander played beautifully by Rooney Mara, who totally deserved Best Actress over Meryl Streep's wooden Margaret Thatcher. To put it bluntly, Mara's Lisbeth was a total bad ass, which was extremely needed. She played the character to a T and was more convincing than Noomi Rapace's portrayal (no offense Noomi). Daniel Craig also did a great job at playing Mikael and did the character more justice. The film was long but the length was needed. It took out all the filler nonsense of the original film and added more well-needed detail and style. David Fincher redeems himself a hundred times over after giving us the utterly terrible "Social Network" and re-instilled much needed faith back into his film making capabilities. It was taut, sleek, stylish, suspenseful and utterly provocative. Dark, graphic, and disturbing are age old trademarks of Fincher (see Fight Club and Seven) and he went and brought them back with a vengeance in this beautifully crafted and well-needed improvement to "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series and can't wait to see what wonder Fincher brings to the table with the sequels. Expand
  14. Dec 29, 2011
    Great movie! Full of action, drama, and suspense. Another amazing movie by David Fincher! This movie was just a joy to watch the entire time. Can't wait for the next installment!
  15. Apr 15, 2012
    Fincher is once again brilliant and his films still remain an event. Rooney mara's performance also is on the line of perfection. I am excited for his next film.
  16. Jan 12, 2012
    Stylish, Intense and interesting. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is an excellent film made by very talented film makers. Although there were a few things that were missing from the original, I found this version more enjoyable and entertaining and many important aspects of the film were explored deeper. The central character of Lisbeth is a fleshed out more and I felt I got to know theStylish, Intense and interesting. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is an excellent film made by very talented film makers. Although there were a few things that were missing from the original, I found this version more enjoyable and entertaining and many important aspects of the film were explored deeper. The central character of Lisbeth is a fleshed out more and I felt I got to know the character better. The pay off to the intense scenes are also more rewarding. Perhaps the movie went 15minutes too long but it didn't worry me too much as I enjoyed the character so much. Be prepared for some intense graphic scenes but there is a point to it all. Recommended. Expand
  17. May 19, 2012
    Smart, gritty, well-paced, and beautifully shot, this incarnation succeeds in every way that the original failed. Featuring excellent direction by David Fincer and strong performances from Daniel Craig, Christopher Plummer, Stellan Skarsgård, and a magnificent, career-defining performance from Rooney Mara in the titular role, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' is most certainly aSmart, gritty, well-paced, and beautifully shot, this incarnation succeeds in every way that the original failed. Featuring excellent direction by David Fincer and strong performances from Daniel Craig, Christopher Plummer, Stellan Skarsgård, and a magnificent, career-defining performance from Rooney Mara in the titular role, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' is most certainly a must-see for any fans of dark drama. A+ Expand
  18. May 16, 2012
    One of david fincher's best films. Sure, at first it starts out kinda slow, but it speeds up. And once it does, it's like a punch right in the gut. Its brutal, intruiging, and captivating all at the same time. The best crime thriller i have ever seen.
  19. Feb 26, 2012
    David Fincher definitely kept his charm on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo . Its an amazing mystery film that I was waiting so long. Amazing screenplay and amazing directing . Daniel Craig was really good at his role . Rooney Mara definitely pulled off her emo look and her acting was her best (undoubtedly ). Filming location was in one word AMAZING . It was perfect for the film . It wasDavid Fincher definitely kept his charm on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo . Its an amazing mystery film that I was waiting so long. Amazing screenplay and amazing directing . Daniel Craig was really good at his role . Rooney Mara definitely pulled off her emo look and her acting was her best (undoubtedly ). Filming location was in one word AMAZING . It was perfect for the film . It was Snowy , Dark , Cold , The three best weather for an amazing mystery .
    So much looking forward to see a Sequel . Sony said they will be filmed back to back and I wish they would release those the same way.
  20. Jan 28, 2012
    De la part de David Fincher, réalisateur de Se7en, j'en attendais beaucoup de ce remake américain et seconde adaptation de l'oeuvre de Stieg Larsson, à commencer par un travail soigné au niveau de l'atmosphère. L'envie de voir un véritable chef-d'oeuvre qui s'est confirmée dès le (sublime)De la part de David Fincher, réalisateur de Se7en, j'en attendais beaucoup de ce remake américain et seconde adaptation de l'oeuvre de Stieg Larsson, à commencer par un travail soigné au niveau de l'atmosphère. L'envie de voir un véritable chef-d'oeuvre qui s'est confirmée dès le (sublime) générique de début, ce dernier nous mettant immédiatement dans l'ambiance. D'accord, il n'y a pas trop de prises de risques, du fait que l'ensemble reste fidèle à l'esprit du livre. Mais ce remake se montre bien plus imposant que son prédécesseur suédo-danois. Il faut dire que le casting est de qualité, au point qu'on laisse de côté les acteurs originaux (Rooney Mara remplaçant sans mal la pourtant excellente Noomi Rapace); que l'ambiance du film est au-delà de mes espérances car étant prenante, dérangeante et palpitante (grâce aux effets sonores et à la BO); que le scénario est légèrement différent (question détails); et que l'on ne s'ennuit pas une seule seconde pendant 2h38. Bref, une réussite! Expand
  21. Jan 14, 2012
    Woefully miscast, Daniel Craig is way too cool and confident for the character part and is one of the main negatives. The other is that the movie attempts to differentiate itself from the original mainly with a faster pace .. which is the general reason US movies suck when compared to European counterparts.
  22. Feb 13, 2012
    What a bloody brilliant film.....I've not read the books or seen the Swedish versions but I was utterly transfixed from go to woe......
    This is by far my film of the year thus far.
  23. Nov 1, 2013
    It’s quite an accomplishment when a fine young actress with lesser known credentials than her A-List co-star, manages to steal the spotlight away in dramatic fashion, Rooney Mara does exactly that to Daniel Craig, this remake of the 2009 Swedish film packs quite the punch in terms of mystery and intrigue, it drew me in with the separate storylines which eventually intertwined, but the leadIt’s quite an accomplishment when a fine young actress with lesser known credentials than her A-List co-star, manages to steal the spotlight away in dramatic fashion, Rooney Mara does exactly that to Daniel Craig, this remake of the 2009 Swedish film packs quite the punch in terms of mystery and intrigue, it drew me in with the separate storylines which eventually intertwined, but the lead performances are the real gold stars of the film. Lisbeth Solander is the girl in question, and what a fascinating specimen this girl is, underneath the gothic clothing, erratic eating and one night stands, Solander has a brilliant mind, but a fragile state is the even ground, we know that she has been raising herself from a young age, she does what she wants and really because she can, dresses as she does probably due to a lack of opinion from others and has taught herself to remain alone and isolated from society, yet when she is faced with a problem she will try her hardest to figure out a way around it, including her appointed guardian (Yorick van Wageningen) abusing her to the point of desperation, she isn’t a girl to be taken lightly, but she finds an unlikely friend in the man she was hired to investigate earlier, Mikael Blomkvist (Craig), who has his own problems. His story picks up surrounding a court battle which he has little chance of coming out on top, he decides to help out an old and tiring millionaire called Henrik Vanger (Christopher Plummer) who lives on a private island, cut off from the mainland, he hopes journalist Blomkvist will help him try and solve the disappearance and probable death of his niece Harriet 40 years earlier, but when Blomkvist starts to dig, he realises the mess the family is in, relatives not speaking to each other, Nazi beliefs, estranged children and how clues seem to lead back to one or the other, a family matter indeed. The paths of the two leads cross as Blomkvist seeks the help of the young Solander, and their unorthodox relationship ensues.
    The film has much more than what it is at first glance, its a fascinating script with excellent performances being brought to life through the likes of Stellan Skarsgärd and Steven Berkoff, they all have secrets and unknown tales in their secluded island, but they all want to know why now? Why look for clues to the young girl now? Director David Fincher has a talent for making the little details count, the smoking habits, the sexual nature of the characters and the seclusion of it all, he captures the mood of a typically murky and gritty time with a beaten cottage beside a lake with snow falling heavily to the ground, the two leads come from very different lives, yet wind up on the hunt for a potential murderer on a secluded island. Mara holds her own with edgy brilliance and the damaged genius of Solander, Craig is a confident individual passes this to Mikael Blomkvist, a man who had it all but let his status get the better of him, Solander could be the very thing to bring him back down. This is a fascinating thriller that rightfully relies on its characters to spark the mystery of the story, its smart, intriguing and offers a different view in terms of heroic actions from unlikely individuals.
  24. Dec 30, 2011
    This film is great I wish I didn't see the Swedish version cause I hated knowing what was gonna happen but I have to believe for the people who didn't see it it was amazing..
  25. Jan 7, 2012
    Return of the Jed.. Fincher. I loved the swedish trilogy, and my favourite books are Stieg Larsson's creations. Noomi Rapace was the perfect Lisbeth for me, and I didn't like Rooney Mara before.. But.. It's a great movie! Mara is brilliant, and Craig is better Mikael Blomkvist than (my favourite swedish actor) Michael Nyqvist. Fincher is back!
  26. Jan 28, 2012
    out of DETECTIVE movies...sherlock holmes, tinker and Dragon tattoo..this one is the best by far...will keep you guessing and the chilly baltic sea locales will keep you extra chilled.
  27. Jan 7, 2012
    This is a great movie, highly recommend all to watch it. I saw both this version and the Swedish version, The English version was WAY superior. I cannot wait to read the book.
  28. Jul 30, 2012
    A remake done really well that complies with the plot and understand when it is terrible violence suffered by women and when they are horrible people who violate them. Excellent photography and the dark atmosphere and dramatic film, fantastic actors especially that of Rooney Mara, who has managed to give us a wonderful interpretation of Lisbeth.
  29. Jan 30, 2012
    This movie was just brilliant. Arguably my favorite movie of the year David Fincher brought us something that only be described as cinematic art. Fincher struck gold with his Lisbeth, Rooney Mara. She steals the show as is made obvious by her much deserved Oscar nomination. She really should win in my opinion but probably won't because the Academy messes up most of the time. Really just aThis movie was just brilliant. Arguably my favorite movie of the year David Fincher brought us something that only be described as cinematic art. Fincher struck gold with his Lisbeth, Rooney Mara. She steals the show as is made obvious by her much deserved Oscar nomination. She really should win in my opinion but probably won't because the Academy messes up most of the time. Really just a beautifully written, perfectly acted, and professionally directed work of art. Perfect. Expand
  30. Jan 29, 2012
    Millenium trilogy? What's that? I haven't read Larsson's books, I haven't seen the previous movies. Probably that's why I'm able to give this movie a sound 9. I don't care if this is a good adaptation of Larsson's book. What I can say is that I was simply captivated by this movie for 2,5 hours. The plot is good, makes you wonder, fear, doubt, and shock all the time. The gloomy atmosphereMillenium trilogy? What's that? I haven't read Larsson's books, I haven't seen the previous movies. Probably that's why I'm able to give this movie a sound 9. I don't care if this is a good adaptation of Larsson's book. What I can say is that I was simply captivated by this movie for 2,5 hours. The plot is good, makes you wonder, fear, doubt, and shock all the time. The gloomy atmosphere of a Northern Swedish town with a lingering mystery that surrounds the Vangners' possession is overwhelming and well presented. Trent Reznor's music is just great in stressing the hideous danger that creeps literally out of everything: iMacs, forests, photographs, neat Swedish homes etc. The acting of Craig is good (and just that), while the critic appraisals for Mara's performance are justified -- she is truly mesmerizing as Lisbeth Salander, and her acting, in which she speaks more with her eyes than actually words, is fantastic. The director of photography and the editing team did also a great job: fast-changing scenes truly capture all the necessary elements, gestures, and moments. What are you waiting for? Go watch it! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    Dec 22, 2011
    Has much to recommend it - high-end craftsmanship, a singular heroine, a labyrinthine mystery, an intriguing milieu - yet lacks a vital spark.
    David Fincher's American remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo adds nothing to the previous adaptation, but it's certainly the more evocative piece of filmmaking.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Travers
    Dec 22, 2011
    From him (Fincher), we get – what? – a faithful adaptation that brings the dazzle but shortchanges on the daring.