6.1

1. JayH.
    Mar 28, 2008
    I did not care for this movie. I thought it was pretentiously directed and written, uninvolving and poorly conceived. The acting is uneven. It's just not well done.
  2. ChadS.
    Apr 5, 2008
    An orchestral version of "The Universal" is featured prominently in "The Good Night", which suggest that Gary(Martin Freeman) and Paul(Simon Pegg) played in a Britpop band akin to Blur. Granted, coming up with original music that favors comparably with the likes of "Wonderwall"(Oasis) and "Common People"(Pulp) is harder than knocking off the sound and vision of f*****' Wham(as "Music An orchestral version of "The Universal" is featured prominently in "The Good Night", which suggest that Gary(Martin Freeman) and Paul(Simon Pegg) played in a Britpop band akin to Blur. Granted, coming up with original music that favors comparably with the likes of "Wonderwall"(Oasis) and "Common People"(Pulp) is harder than knocking off the sound and vision of f*****' Wham(as "Music and Lyrics" did last year), but c'mon, give us something more than an album jacket on a wall. The film doesn't try very hard to convince us that these television advert composers were part of a successful midlevel English band. Instead of performing sad piano ballads, Gary should be writing rock songs in his lucid dreams. With a little more ambition, "The Good Night" could've been a loosely based biography on Stuart Adamson of Big Country, who ended his life in a Hawaiian Holiday Inn. We need to see what's haunting Gary. "The Good Night" needs to show us the sold-out arenas, his girlfriend Dora(Gwynneth Paltrow) in her former incarnation as a groupie, you know, the whole kit-and-kaboodle of rockdom as it was during the early-nineties. Collapse

1. Jake Paltrow's comedy takes familiar male-angst material and turns it into a painful--but fun--string of jokes.
  2. There is a fine idea for a romantic comedy in Jake Paltrow's The Good Night but the writer-director, in his debut feature, never develops it much beyond the idea stage.
  3. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    Though its forays into the subconscious may strike more adventurous cinematic palettes as precious and unimaginative, few will be able to resist Martin Freeman's appealing lead turn or the wry Brit wit that gives this fanciful confection a robust comic core.