7.8

1. Oct 27, 2010
    This is what you'll really enjoy
  2. Mar 3, 2012
    This film is SO annoying! Why won't these damn kids stop shouting? I actually got a headache from watching it. I may have felt the charm other people have been feeling from the film if everyone wasn't so annoying...
  3. May 29, 2012
    This is truly a great kids film and great family film. The clever usage of the plot is what will really capture your attention. If not that then the great characters, bits of action, and bits of comedy will catch your eye.
  4. Dec 28, 2012
    This may be the most accurate portrayal of children in cinema, and the laughs are hard to deny. THe cast is energized, the plot feels fresh, and the adventure is grand and will satisfy all.
  5. JYT
    Jun 10, 2012
    Please stop showing the Goonies on TV. It is a ridiculous movie for young children exited by a birthday party or xmas and high on sugar rush. The story and characters are not interesting. It contains too much imbecility.
  6. Aug 7, 2013
    Eh, it was alright I guess. Certainly a film directed more at kids than adults, the Goonies certainly provides some laughs and thrills along the way, but not enough to really make it worth your time. It honestly feels like a children's version of Indiana Jones with worse acting.
  7. Jul 18, 2013
    This is a majorly classic adventure film! This is the kind of film that every young kid sees and wishes that they were in that group of kids- the film is SO entertaining and has a wonderful script and is totally original. A classic in every way and entertaining in every way. LOVE THIS FILM!
  8. Sep 11, 2013
    The Goonies manages to make a lot of things happen in just under two hours, we have an interesting cast of characters and even better actors and actresses playing them, a true classic film with a fantasy tale of pirates and treasures, setting a group of misfits kids, or "Goonies" on an adventure that only your parents could tell you about in a bedtime story. We have familiar faces in JoshThe Goonies manages to make a lot of things happen in just under two hours, we have an interesting cast of characters and even better actors and actresses playing them, a true classic film with a fantasy tale of pirates and treasures, setting a group of misfits kids, or "Goonies" on an adventure that only your parents could tell you about in a bedtime story. We have familiar faces in Josh Brolin and Sam Astin in their much younger days, the latter playing young Mikey, a kid with breathing problems who talks fast and seems to be the level headed one of the bunch, until he begins to start chasing treasure in the hope finding something to save his town, which is about to be demolished. His older brother Brand, played by Brolin, loves his brother but doesn't agree with his childish adventures, but Mikey and his friends manage to embark on their adventure in a very accidental way, unearthing secrets they never imagined before. A series of traps and willpower test these young explorers as they dig deeper into centuries old secrets. The standout of his friends is the larger than life Chunk, probably named for his larger size, but Jeff Cohen delivers a hilarious and energetic performance as this talkative, annoying and always hungry character, he brings a wonderful sense if playfulness and young shenanigans to the film, something that's missing from the "kid-friendly" films of today, but it isn't all innocent. There are different themes throughout the film, that border between adventure and even horror, Steven Spielberg has created a piece that entices the viewer but is really there to enjoy, I suppose it comes down to trying to recapture youth in the most exhilarating of ways, the kids are chased by the notorious Fratellis, a family of criminals who happen upon the same plan, this provides another dose of comic value, it's also interesting that it brings back the nostalgic notion that every character within a group in a film has some sort of use, the one who is afraid, the strong one, smart one, techie one and the stud, it's a nice touch that doesn't really happen anymore and gives a real sense of purpose and reason to be there.
    This is a true adventure and has the Spielberg effect of epic touch and a perfect score, the performances of the young cast are exceptional, letting their imaginations run wild and having one last blowout before the next stage in their life, they are foul-mouthed and mischievous, they are children.
  9. Jan 3, 2013
    I remember really liking this movie when I originally saw it as a kid. Watching it again as an adult I was surprised to find that it is actually still quite enjoyable to watch. Unlike most of the adventure movies these days that blow all the money on expensive special effects and ignore everything else, this movie is great because of the decent story and good directing. A great movie forI remember really liking this movie when I originally saw it as a kid. Watching it again as an adult I was surprised to find that it is actually still quite enjoyable to watch. Unlike most of the adventure movies these days that blow all the money on expensive special effects and ignore everything else, this movie is great because of the decent story and good directing. A great movie for the whole family to watch. Expand
  10. Sep 15, 2013
    Like many, this movie has a sacred place in my childhood. Everytime I watch the Goonies, I am filled with Nostalgic glee.

But, nostalgia aside, it is a very average adventure movie that has not aged well. This type of movie may have been magical in the 80s, but today, it comes across as a bit too much as a "for kids" movie. Overall: Regardless of my modern interpretation, I still

Overall:
    Regardless of my modern interpretation, I still adore this movie. I know everything that is wrong with it and know what it is, but I don't care. It is, and always will be. a treasured movie.
  11. Jan 14, 2013
    Even though I didn't see this until around the late 90's this is definitely a favourite of mine from my childhood, and it is still a great film today. It's a very adventurous film following a group of kids looking for treasure, and there are enough high's to keep the movie flowing and to keep you interested. Acting is great, especially from the talented young cast, as are the well-writtenEven though I didn't see this until around the late 90's this is definitely a favourite of mine from my childhood, and it is still a great film today. It's a very adventurous film following a group of kids looking for treasure, and there are enough high's to keep the movie flowing and to keep you interested. Acting is great, especially from the talented young cast, as are the well-written characters. Overall a highly enjoyable 80's kids flick that children of today would still enjoy! Collapse
  12. Feb 22, 2013
    This is the film that perfectly sums up everything we loved as kids, and the day I'll have kids I'll make sure they'll watch it with me.

It balances and mixes together all the myths we loved, you have pirates, the treasure hunt, mafia bad guys, some horror and, most of all, a nice tale of friendship facing together the difficulties. This is a kid's film and that does well, it

This is a kid's film and that does well, it delivers adventure.
  13. Mar 24, 2013
    Funny characters like "Mouth" and "Chunk" extended the hilarity of this movie. The plot was just a smidge corny but nonetheless was charming and whimsical.
  14. May 30, 2014
    The Goonies is a wonderful adventure tale set to thrill kids and without of a doubt my favorite kids movie of all time sorry Toy Story. Every time i watch this movie i get such a nostalgia rush, i remember watching it all time when i was young its one of those movies that you can watch over and over and never get tired of it. Honestly though im not even sure how many times I've watchedThe Goonies is a wonderful adventure tale set to thrill kids and without of a doubt my favorite kids movie of all time sorry Toy Story. Every time i watch this movie i get such a nostalgia rush, i remember watching it all time when i was young its one of those movies that you can watch over and over and never get tired of it. Honestly though im not even sure how many times I've watched this movie i would have to say that its between this and The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King for the most times I've watched a movie but if i had to put a number on it though id have to say over 100 times. Richard Donner has always been one of my favorite directors with such films as Superman (1978), the Lethal Weapon movies, and Scrooged, he was one of the directors who's movies i watch a lot of growing up. Now i know people will disagree with me but i think The Goonies is his best movie.

The movie follows a group of four young friends who live in the "Goon Docks" and call themselves "The Goonies" Mikey (Sean Astin) the leader of the group, Mouth (Corey Feldman) the smart aleck, Chunk (Jeff Cohen) the funny fat kid, and Data (Jonathan Ke Quan) the groups macgyver. They all are in danger of losing their homes and the only way to save them is to pay a serious amount of money which none of them have. Bored and sad they decide to go looking around in Mikey's dads off limits attic for 'rich stuff' they soon stumble upon a really old treasure map which was once the property of the pirate One-Eyed Willie's. Mikey tries to persuade his friends to go looking after it but they don't seem all that interested, eventually the group decides to go looking for it while disobeying Mikey's older brother Brand (Josh Brolin) rule to stay inside.

From here we see the group of friends find their way into One-Eyed Willie's cavern filled with tons of deadly booby traps but not before catching the attention of a criminal family the Fratellis that now after capturing Chunk know all about the treasure. The craven part is where most of the movie fun comes from, it feels like a more childish Indiana Jones which i know some don't like i on the other hand loved it. Seriously though What did they expect did they not know that Spielberg wrote the story for it kinda hard not to know seeing that his name is the first one to pop up on screen. The group having had a few encounters with the Fratellis at this point finally out run them and find there way to One-Eyed Willie's hidden treasure where they load up with as much gold, gems, and pretty much anything else they possibly can get their hands on only to be caught by the Fratellis and forced to hand it all over to them. The group makes a getaway when Chunk with the help of Sloth(the Fratellis disfigured brother who they horribly mistreat) come to save the day. Mikey still sad they didn't get any treasure forgets that he put some gems inside his marble bag and when his family's maid looks through it she flips out and gives it to them so they don't have to leave to Goon Docks.

Overall i give it a solid 10 my score might be skewed for this movie but like i said i used to watch it all the time when i was a kid and loved it but also the fact that its based in Oregon my home state. I was actually in Astoria (the town the movies based in) just last week and went up to see the house and area for the first time and i absolutely loved it.
  15. Apr 12, 2014
    "the goonies is the wonderful adventure movie". the comedy sucks . but the story is bigger , marvelous .
    Grade A-. ....................................
  16. Jun 3, 2014
    The Goonies will satisfy most children’s need for fun and adventure in a film, just like the Pirates of the Caribbean films do now.

Although a little dated you cannot help but laugh and chuckle your way through this film, yes its cliche of the 80's coming of age films. But with strong characters and a great cast this surely is a film worth dusting off every so often. I shall certainly be showing this film to my daughter when she is old enough.
  17. Jul 9, 2014
    I will never betray my Goon Dock friends.
    We will stick together until the whole world ends. Through heaven and hell, and nuclear
    war, good pals like us we stick like tar. In the city, or the country, or the forest, or boonies,
    I am proudly declared one of the goonies!

The Goonies, like Gremlins, shows that Spielberg and his directors are absolute masters of how to excite and involve an audience. "E.T." was more like "Close Encounters"; it didn't simply want us to feel, but also to wonder, and to dream.
  2. Reviewed by: Staff (Not Credited)
    Territory is typical small town Steven Spielberg; this time set in a coastal community in Oregon. Story is told from the kids' point-of-view and takes a rather long time to be set in motion.
  3. Reviewed by: Staff (Not Credited)
    A rolicking good time is had by all in this adventure that is built on archetypal plot strands that tie together oh so well.