7.2

1. May 10, 2013
    Saw this when it opened. Had low expectations because of movie critics who obviously grew up in the wrong era. The quality of the book is revived perfectly; It's a period peace, but transcends period with its subtle hints of modern music and style. Every actor was perfectly cast. It's heavy use of Art Deco (my favorite architectural style) fills the screen with beauty that reaches for theSaw this when it opened. Had low expectations because of movie critics who obviously grew up in the wrong era. The quality of the book is revived perfectly; It's a period peace, but transcends period with its subtle hints of modern music and style. Every actor was perfectly cast. It's heavy use of Art Deco (my favorite architectural style) fills the screen with beauty that reaches for the heavens, however unattainable they were and still are.
    Gatsby looks to the past not with nostalgia, but with regret of what was and what will never be.

p.s. I am usually very anti-3d but this movies 3d really pulls you into the grandness of it all.
  2. May 10, 2013
    As a huge fan of DiCaprio, Mulligan, Fitzgerald and Lurhmann, I went in with pretty high expectations. Sure enough, the acting, direction and script are top-notch, if a little too faithful to the source material in letter, while being wildly all over the place in tone, leading to a bloated, overlong production.

That said, I'd rather take something ambitious over the safe treatment any

That said, I'd rather take something ambitious over the safe treatment any day: within these 2 1/2 hours, there are moments of incredible power, and the excesses of the time period are well demonstrated through the wicked party scenes.

Gatsby's parties are the highlight recalling modern mega-raves or top-notch Vegas clubs with the energy amped to 11, their bombast and spectacle threaten to overwhelm the rest of the film. If only Luhrmann could find a way to ensure that his film's visual dynamism didn't go head-to-head with anything that might be considered subtle... the director's over-abundant style robs the film of is realism: it takes place in a world that's decorated, lit, and shot as if it were an ethereal realm somehow divorced from the everyday, and like its titular character, the film does go above and beyond what's needed to impress.

Therein lies the film's biggest problem: the weight of Gatsby's ambitions and the non-stop eye-popping visuals coupled with lightning fast editing takes a toll on the flow of the story. For most of the film, Luhrmann doesn't let his scenes attain an organic flow of their own. His camera swivels through the air as if more interested in the set decoration than his own stars, and the edits rarely slow down even during the most intimate sequences.

Still, the performances are great all across the board. DiCaprio is far and away the standout, Maguire's Carroway is thankfully subtle (although his voice overs get to be a bit much), Carey Mulligan (my waifu) brings a real heart and soul to an underwritten and unlikeable Daisy (an unfortunate result of the film following its source material too slavishly), and Joel Edgerton makes a great Tom Buchanan. Perhaps it's telling of the strength of the source material and cast that the human element shines through despite Luhrmann's excesses.
  3. May 11, 2013
    Baz Luhrmann really has outdone himself in this film. The cast is beautiful as is the script. The scenes are a visual feast. It is as if Luhrmann reached into Fitzgerald's vision of the 20's, pulled out the heart of it and merged it with what society is today, over nine decades later. Alongside personal strife, we see social inequality, abuse of drugs and alcohol, political and moralBaz Luhrmann really has outdone himself in this film. The cast is beautiful as is the script. The scenes are a visual feast. It is as if Luhrmann reached into Fitzgerald's vision of the 20's, pulled out the heart of it and merged it with what society is today, over nine decades later. Alongside personal strife, we see social inequality, abuse of drugs and alcohol, political and moral corruption, and the failure of financial institutions and their responsibility to people. This film will make you feel that these issues will always be relevant, and that not much changes from generation to generation.

The achingly romantic and hopeful Gatsby is played impeccably by DiCaprio. He has aged into a beautiful man while still possessing those boyish good looks. The beginning of the film has the viewer itching to see Gatsby and hear him speak, and when he finally appears he holds on and captivates throughout the film. The film may awaken something in you, a memory of when you were crazy in love with a person or in love with an idea for what your life should be. DiCaprio embodies a dream and makes you root for him, even though he is shown to be a liar and a man who is desperately trying to steal another's wife- all that does not matter because we see the gentle child-like frailty in him and identify with it. DiCaprio is an excellent actor and was perfect for the role.

I must say that I didn't think that Mulligan can pull the role of Daisy, who in my mind was supposed to be a flawless beauty. However, she didn't disappoint. It made Gatsby's love and desire for her even more fascinating- she was beautiful to him and that's all that mattered. Mulligan was able to play the spoiled and dazed rich girl well, while adding an emotional dimension to the character. Tobey Mcguire definitely held his own, and his story line had an interesting deviation from the novel which was enjoyable. All in all I think it is a must see this year for movie buffs.
  4. May 10, 2013
    All of the ambiguity and thoughtfulness that is required to read 'The Great Gatsby' is thrown out of the window with characters' blatant explanations of symbols, ideas and character development.
  5. May 11, 2013
    Baz Luhrmann’s “The Great Gatsby,” is fairly accurate to the classic novel and keeps most of its themes intact. However, Luhrmann’s own flair adds a new dimension to the story. Visually this film is incredibly stunning. From grand sets to the detailed period dresses, this film is a treat for the eyes. Never once does it not take your breath away from its impressive scenery. Many peopleBaz Luhrmann’s “The Great Gatsby,” is fairly accurate to the classic novel and keeps most of its themes intact. However, Luhrmann’s own flair adds a new dimension to the story. Visually this film is incredibly stunning. From grand sets to the detailed period dresses, this film is a treat for the eyes. Never once does it not take your breath away from its impressive scenery. Many people might be worried about the updated music, but there is nothing to fear. Jay-Z’s track works incredible well with the film and complements the era in which it is set.

The direction in this film is impeccable. The cinematography is marvelous and really lets the viewer absorb the sheer artistry that has gone into making this film. Luhrmann keeps a high level of energy throughout the film and the party sequences are choreographed and edited in a way that it makes you feel envious of not being apart of it. Editing in the film is seamless and really keeps the viewer engaged. A common criticism the film receives is that it is more style than substance, however, I must disagree. This modern interpretation doesn’t forget its themes and morals from the classic F. Scott Fitzgerald tale.

Performances are phenomenal by the entire cast. Carey Mulligan’s Daisy is every bit as careless as one would expect, but she also manages to show some complexity in her role. Tobey Maguire is a great avatar for us to take on as we enter this film. He is very much the viewer as he sees everything happening, but is ultimately helpless to change anything. The true standouts in the film are Joel Edgerton and Leonardo DiCaprio. Edgerton as Tom Buchanan brings a lot of personality to his character that I thought was absent in the book. He’s a bit more tender and more vulnerable, especially when he finds out his wife’s secret. The true award recognition worthy performance comes from DiCaprio’s Gatsby. He hones on being a respectable, but idealistically insane man. His performance is not only compelling, but also charming and quit hopeful. He truly deserves some recognition come Oscar season.

Overall, “The Great Gatsby” is a fantastically entertaining and enthralling film. It is horribly underrated as it is filled with awards worthy visuals, sets, costumes, direction, and performances. It is a great time at the movies for anyone that enjoys the classic novel or who haven’t even heard of it. Not only is this film dramatically satisfying, but also quite humorous and a spectacle like no other. I give it 4.5/5, a great adaptation of one of the greatest novels ever written.
  6. May 10, 2013
    I'm going to make this very simple for you. If you like the book, you'll like the movie. Why? It encompasses everything that makes the novel great. The script basically is the book, from the narration, to the dialogue, the the plot line. The magic of the book is brought to life by Baz Lurhmann's direction, and by the performances. We really get to see this fantastic world the same way weI'm going to make this very simple for you. If you like the book, you'll like the movie. Why? It encompasses everything that makes the novel great. The script basically is the book, from the narration, to the dialogue, the the plot line. The magic of the book is brought to life by Baz Lurhmann's direction, and by the performances. We really get to see this fantastic world the same way we imagined Nick saw it, when we were reading the book. People complain about the style, and how it's too shallow, and goes out of its way to look good, but that's the point. Gatsby's fantastic life was completely shallow, but Nick didn't see that initially. I'm interested in hearing the opinion of someone who liked the book, but didn't like the movie, because I'd like to know what they were expecting. They must've read a different book than I did. Expand
  7. Jun 27, 2013
    After seeing this movie a second time, I began to like it even more, ultimately going back a total of 4 times. In my first viewing, I unfairly underrated this movie and wish to make amends to its creator. This movie is gorgeous. Acting of the 3 leading men is impeccable. DiCaprio brings to life a more deluded version of Gatsby than prior versions. His depiction felt off at firstAfter seeing this movie a second time, I began to like it even more, ultimately going back a total of 4 times. In my first viewing, I unfairly underrated this movie and wish to make amends to its creator. This movie is gorgeous. Acting of the 3 leading men is impeccable. DiCaprio brings to life a more deluded version of Gatsby than prior versions. His depiction felt off at first viewing, but after seeing the movie again it felt perfect. My apologies Baz Lurhmann. I think this movie should get all the academy awards except for the actress categories. Expand
  8. May 10, 2013
    I remember watching the trailer for this movie a year ago and expecting it to come out at Christmas. I just don't understand why the movie was delayed 6 months. But now that the movie is here I can personally say it was worth the wait. The Great Gatsby is a very beautiful story and well told through miraculous cinematography, some visuals and fantastic acting. Hands down, Leonardo DiCaprioI remember watching the trailer for this movie a year ago and expecting it to come out at Christmas. I just don't understand why the movie was delayed 6 months. But now that the movie is here I can personally say it was worth the wait. The Great Gatsby is a very beautiful story and well told through miraculous cinematography, some visuals and fantastic acting. Hands down, Leonardo DiCaprio is the heart and soul of the movie. I mean, he's just such a tremendous actor. It may not be his biggest and best role, but he still gives one hell of a performance (just as usual). There were some even some other great actors such as Joel Edgerton, Carey Mulligan and even Tobey Maguire. I honestly wasn't sure if I would like him in this movie but he actual is really good. But his best role for me will always be in "Brothers". The cinematography is definitely one of the things that impressed me the most. Cinematographer Simon Duggan really knows how to not only get great shots, but take you through the world of Jay Gatsby himself. The one thing I really don't understand is this. Why is there a 3-D release for this movie? I mean, it has those good shots, but honestly it doesn't need to be shot in 3-D. That's like making "The Notebook" in 3-D. It just doesn't work. But don't let that distract you from watching an (Oscar worthy) type-movie. If your going to go watch it, watch it in 2-D. But overall, it's a beautifully crafted story of drama and romance. Expand
  9. May 18, 2013
    The movie was long, tedious and Jay-Z's music in 1912. The actors have done their respective roles well but the story was weak. I don't understand "what is this love about?"
  10. May 10, 2013
    I'll admit this is one of my favorite novels of all time. In my opinion it is THE great american novel. I think it encapsulates everything that is America. The excess, the lust for money, the shallowness of keeping up appearances, and people's admiration for those they deem successful.

I also think that Fitzgerald's novel stands the test of time and is just as relevant today. This movie captures the novel perfectly and hardly deviates from the book which is it's greatest strengths. The performance by DiCaprio as Gatsby is also out of this world. Don't listen to the critics, if you're a fan of the book you'll enjoy this movie.
  11. May 17, 2013
    I have not read the book for this film but I am fairly certain it doesn't reference the Jay-Z and Beyonce songs playing in the background. Look, I get that this is how the director likes to do his thing, but I can't take it, complete garbage and it will look even worse in ten years when people hear the awful music and laugh it off.
  12. May 29, 2013
    So, could Baz Luhrmann, with Jay-Z at his side, deliver a modern adaptation of the the Great American Novel that would be well received by all? I think the answer from the offset was always going to be no. Instead, Luhrmann delivers a visual feast of a film, one that tries to balance Luhrman's big number style with an authenticity to the source material but one that relies too heavily onSo, could Baz Luhrmann, with Jay-Z at his side, deliver a modern adaptation of the the Great American Novel that would be well received by all? I think the answer from the offset was always going to be no. Instead, Luhrmann delivers a visual feast of a film, one that tries to balance Luhrman's big number style with an authenticity to the source material but one that relies too heavily on narration, some cheap visual effects and ends up failing to fully flesh out the key relationship central to the story.

I don't have any specific problem with Baz Luhrmann's style, I liked his take on Romeo & Juliet and have managed to avoid Moulin Rouge so far. I thought he would be a good match for the glitz, glamour and decadence of the period and I thought this side of the film worked out well. The style factor was never going to be in doubt. The use of music in the film has been the subject of some debate and I'm going to side with the positive. It worked fairly well for me, hip hop goes hand in hand with excess and the modern songs fitted well with the music video style of Gatsby's parties. Lana Del Rey's song Young & Beautiful is mesmerisingly haunting and is the perfect accompaniment for the film's troubled lovers. Having not read the book and therefore not being aware of the literary themes in place this may be an unfair comment, especially if fans of the book appreciated the inclusion, but I felt the direction was slightly heavy handed in places, I certainly felt the references to the all-seeing eyes and green light were more than driven home.

Leonardo DiCaprio gives a mature, refined performance befitting the great nature of the man. Carey Mulligan is also excellent as Daisy, giving what I call a 'bambi' type performance complete with beautifully innocent doe eyes. She is let down by the direction/narrative, wherever you want to lay the blame, which doesn't do enough to make you understand the passion of Gatsby for the girl, especially given the choices she ultimately makes. Tobey Maguire is suited to the role of Carraway, though his key role in the film as narrator, really limited my enjoyment. The guy always seems to come off so square, disapproving and lame.

I enjoyed The Great Gatsby but I'm sure it won't suit all tastes.
  13. May 10, 2013
    This movie was absolutely great, mainly for its screenplay and it staying true to the Gatsby storyline. It was enjoyable all the way through, DiCaprio was amazing as Gatsby, and all of the roles were well played. The music though was stunning and fit the mood, even if it wasn't all Jazz (Black 1920s music). Instead, cleverly they used Hip-hop (Modern day black music). Overall, if you haveThis movie was absolutely great, mainly for its screenplay and it staying true to the Gatsby storyline. It was enjoyable all the way through, DiCaprio was amazing as Gatsby, and all of the roles were well played. The music though was stunning and fit the mood, even if it wasn't all Jazz (Black 1920s music). Instead, cleverly they used Hip-hop (Modern day black music). Overall, if you have read, or not read the book, you should absolutely see this. Expand
  14. May 11, 2013
    The set pieces are great. Exactly what I imagined when I read the book. The acting is pretty solid. But the overuse of CGI (on things as simple as rain on a dock) and heavy music take away from the movie. I don't hate the film, but I didn't like it either. I literally nothing this movie.
  15. May 10, 2013
    Let us get the obvious out of the way: The Great Gatsby as the inspirational literature piece, is extremely better than this movie. But lets not kid ourselves. This movie was a damn good movie. An AMAZING movie. Upon seeing the trailer for this movie, I had high expectations and couldn't wait to see the movie. Reviews starting filing in and I couldn't understand it. Bad review after badLet us get the obvious out of the way: The Great Gatsby as the inspirational literature piece, is extremely better than this movie. But lets not kid ourselves. This movie was a damn good movie. An AMAZING movie. Upon seeing the trailer for this movie, I had high expectations and couldn't wait to see the movie. Reviews starting filing in and I couldn't understand it. Bad review after bad review. My expectations lowered. As you would expect. The movie starts and it sort of started slow to me and somewhat worried me, but the movie started to get going and I found myself enjoying it thoroughly. By the end, the tragedy, the romance, the broken relationships, the lies, deceit. It was pure emotion. These were truly the life and times of Jay Gatsby. The rise and fall of Jay Gatsby, if you will. It was extraordinary from start to finish. Nothing captivated me like this since Django Unchained last year. I will definitely see this movie again. I highly recommend this movie regardless if you're a fan of the book or haven't read the book at all and enjoy a good movie. Very good. Expand
  16. May 10, 2013
    Dude! This is the best movie of the summer!! I saw one of the best performances of Leonardo DiCaprio and the rest breaks too! I recommend to all!!
  17. May 11, 2013
    Perfection. Brought out every emotion from the book and then some. It may have left out or rearranged the details, but the heart and the idea of the book remained intact.
  18. May 13, 2013
    “The Great Gatsby” stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan, Tobey maguire (he spells it that way), Jason Clark and Joel Edgerton in this remake of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s novel of life and its extravagances in the mid ‘20’s. Unfortunately, not true to the flavor and depth of this great novel, Director and Co-writer Baz Luhrmann gives us a glitzy overdone film with no depth or intensity but,“The Great Gatsby” stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan, Tobey maguire (he spells it that way), Jason Clark and Joel Edgerton in this remake of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s novel of life and its extravagances in the mid ‘20’s. Unfortunately, not true to the flavor and depth of this great novel, Director and Co-writer Baz Luhrmann gives us a glitzy overdone film with no depth or intensity but, instead, the shallowness of a music video. First, a disclaimer. I am no fan of either Tobey maguire or of Mr. DiCaprio and with these precommitted feelings, it’s difficult to enjoy any vehicle either of them are in, let alone both. Mr. maguire whines his way through this overdone narrative and Mr. DiCaprio continues to look like a teenager trying to play an adult. If he uttered the phrase “old spoaht” one more time in the film, I would’ve thrown my 3D glasses at the screen. Speaking of that, this film has no dimension so the need to try to see it in 3D is useless. I at one point took off the glasses and could not honestly tell the difference. So visually and substantively, the film lacks so much except one thing…..time. This lifeless seemingly never ending film lasts for 2 and hours and screams for an editor’s splicing machine. The special effects and scenery, as costly as they may have been, seems to be the impetus for the movie’s length since it’s hard to put so much set money on the floor of the editing room. The old “how many times did I look at my watch” test proved accurate for I recall no less than 6. This Gatsy is neither ‘great’ nor ‘good’ and, at best, is mediocre. As bad as the 1974 version of the film with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow was, this is probably worse. I give the film a rating of 3.The viewers, F. Scott and those interested in good filmmaking deserve better. Expand
  19. May 10, 2013
    Contrary to what the majority of critics are saying about Luhrmann's Gatsby, there is a lot to love about the picture.2013's Gatsby contains everything that fans of the book have come to expect: grande scenes, vivacious music, and a world of shallowness that becomes to much for the narrator (and audiences) to handle. The cast is stunning all around, from Jason Clarke's unstable Wilson toContrary to what the majority of critics are saying about Luhrmann's Gatsby, there is a lot to love about the picture.2013's Gatsby contains everything that fans of the book have come to expect: grande scenes, vivacious music, and a world of shallowness that becomes to much for the narrator (and audiences) to handle. The cast is stunning all around, from Jason Clarke's unstable Wilson to DiCaprio's glowing Gatsby, the performances are A-list. Tobey Maguire was brilliant as Nick Carraway, capturing the dry wit that Fitzgerald frequently utilized in the original novel. Unfortunately, it is not until the final act of the film that Luhrmann's direction truly allows the cast to genuinely act. The movie's first two acts were more focused on the glitz and glamour of the Roarin' Twenties than effectively setting the scene. Nonetheless, the colors of this adaptation are a breathe of fresh air in comparison to previous efforts. Overall, despite having an excess of flash and a sometimes effective ("Love is Blindness" at the film's climax)-often inappropriate (Jay-Z's "$100 Bill" used literally whenever the director saw fit) inclusion of modern rock and hip-hop into what is supposed to be a classic Jazz Age story, Luhrmann's clear passion for the work and a perfect cast more than makes up for it. Definitely worth the $9.50 Expand
  20. Aug 31, 2013
    Unfortunately, reducing one of the great novels to a shiny self-indulgent music video is the least of its problems. The narration was so annoying and never ending and the performances were bizarre. I could care less about the characters because not one of the them actually felt real. It was a very boring movie. There was obviously a great deal of effort put into this movie, but LuhrmannUnfortunately, reducing one of the great novels to a shiny self-indulgent music video is the least of its problems. The narration was so annoying and never ending and the performances were bizarre. I could care less about the characters because not one of the them actually felt real. It was a very boring movie. There was obviously a great deal of effort put into this movie, but Luhrmann is more interested in what you see and hear rather than what you are supposed to think and feel. Expand
  21. May 14, 2013
    Baz Luhrmann's adaptation of "The Great Gatsby" isn't a disaster. Every frame is sincere. Its miscalculations come from a wish to avoid embalming a classic novel in "respectfulness" a worthy goal, in theory. It boasts the third most imaginative use of 3D I've seen recently, after "U2 3D" and "Hugo." It's a technological and aesthetic lab that has four or five experiments cooking in eachBaz Luhrmann's adaptation of "The Great Gatsby" isn't a disaster. Every frame is sincere. Its miscalculations come from a wish to avoid embalming a classic novel in "respectfulness" a worthy goal, in theory. It boasts the third most imaginative use of 3D I've seen recently, after "U2 3D" and "Hugo." It's a technological and aesthetic lab that has four or five experiments cooking in each scene. Even when the movie's not working, its style fascinates. That "not working" part is a deal breaker, though and it has little to do with Luhrmann's stylistic gambits, and everything to do with his inability to reconcile them with an urge to play things straight.
    If you've seen Lurhmann's "Strictly Ballroom," "Romeo Juliet" or "Moulin Rouge," or watched "Gatsby" trailers, you know what you're in for: an epic melodrama that fuses old-movie theatrics and subjective filmmaking, period music and modern pop, real sets and unreal landscapes, psychological drama and speeded-up slapstick.
    We see the book's Prohibition-era settings (East Egg and West Egg, New York City, and the sooty wasteland in between) through the eyes of the narrator, Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire), who's writing a memoir-confession from an asylum. This framing device is inferred from statements Fitzgerald made in "The Crack-Up," and "Gatsby" often refers to itself as a book, so even though it's not part of the source, it's hardly a blasphemous indulgence; still, it's one more buffer between viewer and story in a movie that already has plenty.
    This busywork might astonish if Lurhmann's heart were in it, but is it? The guests at Gatsby's party are too obviously directed, and there's no sense of escalation in the gatherings; from frame one, they're a Dionysian whirl of booze, lust and hero worship, minus the sense that that things are ebbing and flowing as they would at a real party. The CGI-assisted camera acrobatics feel obligatory. So do the anachronistic soundtrack mash-ups (modern hip-hop layered over ragtime piano, and so on).
    But in the film's dark second half, "The Great Gatsby" half-forgets its mandate to wow us and zeroes in on actors saying lines to one another in rooms. Once that happens, the Luhrmannerisms distract from the film's true heart: the actions and feelings of its characters. Luhrmann didn't set out to make a PBS-style, bare-bones adaptation, but there are times when it feels as though he wants to.
    Once you get past the movie's opening eruptions of visual excess hundreds of party guests boozing and hollering and doing the Charleston; CGI cityscapes that visualize 1920s New York by way of Warren Beatty's candy-colored "Dick Tracy"; a long expository talk between Gatsby and Nick in a careening computer-buffed roadster that moves as believably as the talking cab in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" "The Great Gatsby" settles into a traditional groove: scene, scene, montage, scene, burst of violence, moment of reflection. The movie wants to be a "kaleidoscopic carnival," to quote a phrase from the book's description of a Jay Gatsby party, but Luhrmann's instincts seem more traditional, even square, and the two impulses cancel each out. Once you've spent time with his cast, you understand why he was torn.
    DiCaprio's Gatsby is the movie's greatest and simplest special effect: an illusion conjured mainly through body language and voice. On the page, the character is so mysterious, so much a projection of the book's narrator, that you'd think he'd be as unplayable onscreen as Kurtz or John Galt; he eluded Alan Ladd and Robert Redford, the role's previous inhabitants. And yet DiCaprio makes him comprehensible and achingly real. The actor's choices drive home the idea that Gatsby is playing the man he wishes he were, and that others need him to be. We see the calculations behind his eyes, but we also believe that he could hide them from the other characters most of them, anyway.
    DiCaprio's acting evokes Nick's description of the human personality as "an unbroken series of successful gestures." Luhrmann cuts some scenes to make it seem as if the character really is omniscient as if he can see and hear for miles and read people's thoughts and feelings and DiCaprio plays these moments with a mix of inscrutability and delight, as if Gatsby knows something we don't, but is too clever to say precisely what. (He could play Superman.) When Gatsby's deceptions are revealed is an iconic performance maybe his career best.
    The rest of the cast is nearly as impressive. Nick Carraway is almost as much of an abstraction as Gatsby an audience surrogate, with touches of The Nice Guy Betrayed but Maguire humanizes him, just as DiCaprio does Gatsby.
  22. May 13, 2013
    1st Time

Good The Great Gatsby was a Spectacle that has to be seen in 3D. DiCaprio stole the show and Luhrmann really did a fantastic job getting behind the sentiment of F. Scott's story. Bad The beginning half of the story felt very buggy and some of the films music really doesn't fit with the scenes they are in. This is a very unconventional film and its made in a way that
    1st Time

Bad The beginning half of the story felt very buggy and some of the films music really doesn't fit with the scenes they are in. This is a very unconventional film and its made in a way that respects the music over whats happening on screen instead.

Overall Definitely see this movie in 3D only. It has fantastic acting and needs to be seen on the screen. It can be jarring at first but give it a shot. While this isnt my Favorite Luhrmann Film(Moulin Rouge), it is good and needs your attention.

*** 3 out of 5 Stars!

2nd time

OK so the second Time through The Great Gatsby, and seeing it with a different perspective... really focusing on the meaning behind the shots, music and cutting I've come to really appreciate Luhrmanns work even more. since most of you either have seen it or not seen it i will just say this when watching it or reflecting upon it. Look at the fast jittery scenes as an illusion of what was expected in that time period, a sort of Facade for what was really going on. Look at the slowed down bits as a realistic view of a romantics dream. the whole story hinges on Gatsby's love for Daisy and he goes to extreme heights, even jeopardizing himself just for her. i don't want to give away the ending to anyone who hasn't seen or read the story but this is a tried and true look at what people who truly love will do for other people while others who only want safety are willing to give up.

***` 3 1/2 stars out of 5
  23. May 18, 2013
    The scenery is beautiful, but Maguire becomes annoying fast. The movie jumps around between scenes with no real transitions. Very difficult to stay interested.
  24. May 11, 2013
    It's first act is certainly aimless and unbearably frantic, but the rest of "The Great Gatsby" endures as an emotionally involving and thematically thought-provoking piece.
  25. Aug 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Horrible. Simply awful. How anyone can endure this for more than 5 minutes is beyond me. Rap music in the twenties WTF The characters are all overacted to the point that none of them is the least bit intriguing or interesting. The dialogues are beyond dumb and stupid. There is no chemistry at all between the main character and the writer. Why would Gatsby show him around The writer is the most boring person on the face of the planet. None of the women are pretty or interesting either.
    The question remains: why are these movies made Seems to me that anyone involved in the production was high on cocaine. I have no other explanation for coming up with a script and screenplay like this one...
  26. May 25, 2013
    The Great Gatsby is very beatiful movie. It has nice scenery, good cast and and unexpectedly, a good soundtrack. But there are some inconsistencies in the story, and the ending seems so tightened. It could be better. And of course, Leonardo DiCaprio is great.
  27. May 11, 2013
    It was a great movie with a fantastic performance by Leonardo DiCaprio. It is an emotional thrill ride that has you on the edge of your seat throughout nearly all of the movie.
  28. May 11, 2013
    'The Great Gatsby' was an absolutely fantastic movie! The story, acting, cinematics... everything was at the highest level and definitely shows a high production value. Best movie I've seen in a long time. I had mixed expectations coming in just based on some of the negative reviews I've heard but I honestly don't see why those even exist. I think what makes Gatsby a great film is that it'The Great Gatsby' was an absolutely fantastic movie! The story, acting, cinematics... everything was at the highest level and definitely shows a high production value. Best movie I've seen in a long time. I had mixed expectations coming in just based on some of the negative reviews I've heard but I honestly don't see why those even exist. I think what makes Gatsby a great film is that it is different. It's not your typical summer action movie. It's not your typical romantic love story. 'Gatsby' goes much deeper and further than the vast majority movies today tend to go. The acting and story really draw you in while the cinematic shots never cease to impress. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the film and highly recommend it to everyone. Just goes to show that when directors and writers actually try and stick to the source material instead of making their "improvements" you come out with a much better product. Expand
  29. Jul 27, 2013
    Is it just me or was this the most boring Leo movie ever! No intense moments whatsoever. I really have nothing else to add except that it was way too long and I almost fell asleep in the movie theatre. And 3D is not worth it if there is just going to be 3d snow an rain.
  30. Dec 30, 2013
    A great story, with great actors, with a amazing director, with good spécial effects !
    Well why give an 8 then ?
    Cause i realy dont like RNB music in a Film who the action is in 1930 ...
    Except this it's a very good film
  31. May 17, 2013
    The Great Gatsby is a beautiful novel and while adapted to a film, it became visually beautiful. However, for some mystical reason the visual did not coincide well with the plot or the narrative. I was hearing the story from the narrator as oppose to seeing it. Close to the end I decided to shut my eyes and hear the story because it was the visuals were frankly redundant althoughThe Great Gatsby is a beautiful novel and while adapted to a film, it became visually beautiful. However, for some mystical reason the visual did not coincide well with the plot or the narrative. I was hearing the story from the narrator as oppose to seeing it. Close to the end I decided to shut my eyes and hear the story because it was the visuals were frankly redundant although spectacular. The fact that Jay Z executive produced this film is very obvious from when you hear Jay Z's music like you're at his concerts, it got too repetitive for me regardless of the quality of the actual music. Overall, Great Gatsby was unable to give us a full experience without one sense blinding the other. Expand
  32. Sep 22, 2013
    All I can say is that you should never listen to the critics. They are so full of themselves. The best they can do is take someone's hard work and turn it on its head. Leo nails the plight and desperation of Gatsby with such intensity that you can't help but feel for him. I wished to be there for him and to tell him that everything would be all right. I've not read the book and frankly theAll I can say is that you should never listen to the critics. They are so full of themselves. The best they can do is take someone's hard work and turn it on its head. Leo nails the plight and desperation of Gatsby with such intensity that you can't help but feel for him. I wished to be there for him and to tell him that everything would be all right. I've not read the book and frankly the plot seems very generic. A man from humble beginnings rises through society for the sake of winning the girl he lost several years ago. Yet the book is hailed as 'The Great American Novel.' I don't know why that is, but the movie only shines because of Leo. That man knows the most intimate secrets of playing a character and bringing it to life. Of course one may argue that there was no electronic music and rap in the 1920s, and yet Moulin Rouge! didn't seem to have historical accuracy going against it when it received critical acclaim, as I don't think Nirvana existed in the nineteenth century. Carey Mulligan also deserves a mention. Expand
  33. May 19, 2013
    The new Gatsby tries to center itself on visual masterpiece, costume design, and other technical categories that it forgets to spend time on acting, direction, and greatness making this classic plot go uneven and present possibly the worst performance of Tobey McGuire fairly good career.
  34. Aug 17, 2013
    This is a film that takes a while to get into the story although the visuals are constant like all of Baz Lurhmann's work. I do wish there was more character development and the film was a little shorter, but overall a solid effort. B
  35. May 13, 2013
    It is now apparent that F. Scott Fitzgerald's classic novel The Great Gatsby does not translate well to the big screen. The acting was perfectly fine but the story, as classic as it may be, can simply not be made into a decent major motion picture.
  36. May 11, 2013
    Baz Luhrmann really outdone himself with this one. Great honour to Fitzgerald for making a great movie out of a brilliant book. A don't get the negative reviews from the critics but I know they're unfair.
  37. May 30, 2013
    I thought this movie was wonderful! The book is one of my all-time favorites and the movie does the book great justice. I really like how the movie stayed on script with the book, the important elements of the book were portrayed within the movie. The acting was wonderful and each actor was perfectly placed in their role. Leo did a great job at Gatsby and the other actors and actresses didI thought this movie was wonderful! The book is one of my all-time favorites and the movie does the book great justice. I really like how the movie stayed on script with the book, the important elements of the book were portrayed within the movie. The acting was wonderful and each actor was perfectly placed in their role. Leo did a great job at Gatsby and the other actors and actresses did exceptionally well also. I really like how the director incorporated modern hip-hop in the movie instead of playing the traditional 1920's jazz that I assumed would have been in the movie. I would recommend this movie to everyone! Expand
  38. Jun 1, 2013
    To much party scenes, 3D traveling shots and not enough dialogue and dept in each character. And every time they seem to be getting to the core of some meaningful revelation, the voice over appears to take you far away from the scene and its climate. I wouldn't call it bad storytelling, but the entire movie seems to slip through your fingers and splash in a thousand colorful 3d-cameraTo much party scenes, 3D traveling shots and not enough dialogue and dept in each character. And every time they seem to be getting to the core of some meaningful revelation, the voice over appears to take you far away from the scene and its climate. I wouldn't call it bad storytelling, but the entire movie seems to slip through your fingers and splash in a thousand colorful 3d-camera movements on to the ground. I had high expectations, and there were only a few moments in which this were matched. Expand
  39. Nov 29, 2013
    A surprising emotional scope blended with good cinematography, a great soundtrack and very stylish direction gives The Great Gatsby a grand overall feel.
  40. Jul 9, 2013
    Luhrmann has been one of my favourite directors solely relying on his mastery with "Moulin Rouge". I enjoyed "Romeo+Juliet" also, but nowhere near as much as MR, and then Australia was kind of a let down. His visual style, however, has always been consistently amazing and his films are a true feast for the eyes.

"The Great Gatsby" continues this trend, and possibly pushes it further.

"The Great Gatsby" continues this trend, and possibly pushes it further. With Luhrmann's trademark great and innovative cinematography, editing, costume design and art direction, Gatsby is technically top-notch. The impressive line up for the soundtrack also adds layers and layers to the film, in a choice similar to "Moulin Rouge's" soundtrack back in 2001. While some have complained about the over-stimulus visually and the over-the-top costumes and parties depiction in the film, I felt as if it was quite appropriate. It truly showed the lavishness and shallowness of those events, costumes and places, while at the same time allowing for the audience to see the emptiness of Gatsby's life.

My only concern was the length of the film, but it is manageable. Almost as long as "Australia" was, it still managed to feel reasonably lengthy, instead of being a drag.
    Overall, "Gatsby" is a well-executed film with lavish sets, amazing costumes, beautiful soundtrack and all other technical aspects. Acting is rather good, too, with DiCaprio having a standout performance, while Mulligan and Maguire are rather sidelined in their conventional acting and do not quite push the envelope far enough. Nonetheless, it is a good film and I'd recommend watching it!
  41. Aug 30, 2013
    I was having trouble rating it 7or8. Because it's one of those movies with an epic story, an amazing cast, magnificent scenes, breathtaking music, but a not so good director...
  42. Aug 19, 2013
    The movie is clearly overdone on spectacle, but deep within, the emotion and complexity of Fitzgerald's novel comes to life to remind people of a what made this book so important then and now.
  43. Aug 31, 2013
    This is one of the worst movies ever. The director should be arrested for this absolutely insulting adaption of The Great Gatsby. Never was I more convinced to just get up and leave the theater in the middle of the movie.
  44. Dec 18, 2013
    Beautiful, extravagent, and as over the top as one would expect, Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby does a brilliant job capturing the beauty and wealth possessed by Gatsby. This film is pure eye candy, yet it does have some substance beneath it and I think it did a swell job capturing the essence of the novel and telling the fateful tale of Jay Gatsby. In addition, the acting, led by TobeyBeautiful, extravagent, and as over the top as one would expect, Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby does a brilliant job capturing the beauty and wealth possessed by Gatsby. This film is pure eye candy, yet it does have some substance beneath it and I think it did a swell job capturing the essence of the novel and telling the fateful tale of Jay Gatsby. In addition, the acting, led by Tobey Maguire, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Carey Mulligan, was great as well.

Only negatives in this film were the beginning, which was far too hectic and scattered, as well as the soundtrack. While I am a fan of hip hop, it seemed extraordinarily out of place in this film, which is supposed to be set in the 1920's. More period appropriate music should have chosen and ultimately, the soundtrack made it seem almost clumsy. However, the sets were beyond gorgeous and with beautiful shot after shot, this should win best production and best costume design on pure beauty alone. Just wow, the eye candy of each shot admittedly won my heart.
  45. Jun 28, 2013
    Very underrated movie that had me gripped the whole time. Was it bizarre and over the top? Absolutely, but it wouldn't be a Baz Luhrman movie if it wasn't. My advice is to sit back, don't ask questions and be marveled by the this spectacle of a movie.
  46. Aug 12, 2013
    Horrible. The green-screen was overused and the story was reduced to cheap soap-opera with awful music. The acting is okay, but the characters are suffering from the writing too. Every character seems overacted and just like the whole movie 'artificial'. Not worth watching...
  47. May 29, 2013
    With any Baz Luhrmann film you expect high camp anachronistic pyrotechnics, but whereas Moulin Rouge worked extremely well, Gatsby doesn't. The main problem is that it's setting and story is less appropriate for this over the top kind of approach. Moulin Rouge was set in a musical revue nightclub and therefore all the outrageous antics could be more readily embraced. The first halfWith any Baz Luhrmann film you expect high camp anachronistic pyrotechnics, but whereas Moulin Rouge worked extremely well, Gatsby doesn't. The main problem is that it's setting and story is less appropriate for this over the top kind of approach. Moulin Rouge was set in a musical revue nightclub and therefore all the outrageous antics could be more readily embraced. The first half feels like Luhrmann wanted to make a musical and was taken with the ides of wild parties, decadence and lavish costumes only to discover halfway through that he had a story to finish telling. In fact it's only when Gatsby turns to 'straight' drama that it works at all. Generally it's a visually stunning mess, although even here everyone and every thing is so perfectly positioned and placed that the artifice in scene after scene wins the day. Performances are unexceptional although DiCaprio acquits himself well. There is less to be said for Tobey Maguire. His performance as neighbour and story narrator Nick Carraway, is bland and borders on the boring. The writing is trite and often undermines the visual style. For all the criticisms that have been levelled at the 1974 Redford/Farrow film, it must be said that the writing, acting and screenplay were all superior to this frenetic self indulgence. On the plus side the main musical theme is just beautiful. Expand
  48. Jul 6, 2013
    One of the best movies I've seen this year. I f**king hate Toby Maguire but he didn't bother me in this. Leonardo Decaprio delivered another stellar performance, but this won't be the vehicle that gets him his oscar, which is disappointing, but he's still got a chance with The Wolf of Wall Street. 9.4/10
  49. Jul 4, 2013
    You must have read the book to enjoy this movie to its fullest. The visuals in this movie perfectly captures the emotion and complexity of the Fitzgerald's novel. Leonardo DiCaprio is Gatsby. He captures the aura and personality of Gatsby, but still expresses his characters emptiness. The whole cast complements Leo's acting. Baz topped his Romeo Juliet reinvention and has broken anotherYou must have read the book to enjoy this movie to its fullest. The visuals in this movie perfectly captures the emotion and complexity of the Fitzgerald's novel. Leonardo DiCaprio is Gatsby. He captures the aura and personality of Gatsby, but still expresses his characters emptiness. The whole cast complements Leo's acting. Baz topped his Romeo Juliet reinvention and has broken another cinema literature barrier. Expand
  50. Jun 10, 2013
    This movie is a HUGE surprise walking in I thought this movie would be boring, but I got a really interesting movie with likable characters and stunning visuals Some over acting in some parts and the soundtrack of the movie could turn you off but if you stuck around Django Unchained you could handle this
  51. May 12, 2013
    You never know what you're going to get when a movie is hyped to the point of seeing some reference to it at every turn. Gatsby was a bit like that for me. And sometimes, the hype meets the HIGH expectations and sometimes it falls way short. I'd say Gatsby is somewhere in the middle. I enjoyed the movie, the story, and the characters, but there were a few sappy moments as well. I felt aYou never know what you're going to get when a movie is hyped to the point of seeing some reference to it at every turn. Gatsby was a bit like that for me. And sometimes, the hype meets the HIGH expectations and sometimes it falls way short. I'd say Gatsby is somewhere in the middle. I enjoyed the movie, the story, and the characters, but there were a few sappy moments as well. I felt a bit torn between realism and fantasy and which one the director wanted me to be. Leonardo and Toby "made" the movie and without them, it could have been a yawner. The scenery, costumes, and makeup were EXCELLENT and who can argue the soundtrack that was pure genius to take today's music and spin it as 1920's. I left entertained and satisfied. Expand
  52. May 13, 2013
    With expectations of the flashy Roaring 1920s, I was certainly given the experience I wanted, albeit to a certain degree. Baz Luhrmanns style has certainly left a footprint in the way we visually enjoy a film, however I felt that the camera cuts to new angles and takes away from the film by a small margin. The Great Gatsby contains an excellent cast (With my money on Maguire winning BestWith expectations of the flashy Roaring 1920s, I was certainly given the experience I wanted, albeit to a certain degree. Baz Luhrmanns style has certainly left a footprint in the way we visually enjoy a film, however I felt that the camera cuts to new angles and takes away from the film by a small margin. The Great Gatsby contains an excellent cast (With my money on Maguire winning Best Supporting Actor at next years Oscars) and a story that remains intact even with Luhrmanns visual flair. Like the book, Maybe this film will be appreciated with time. Expand
  53. May 13, 2013
    too long by 45 minutes and slow, very slow. once again they focus on the mega parties instead of the characters, as a result the acting did not seem to be explore real human dimensions, two dimsional instead of really being fleshed out.

of course the green light is so important, but they show it so many times that it lost all impact. what i did like was that Gatsby is just as

what i did like was that Gatsby is just as corrupt and delusional as everyone else. of course that makes Nick's line at the end pretty stupid, "your worth more than all the rest put together".
  54. May 13, 2013
    I think that, ultimately, The Great Gatsby is a success for Baz, and especially for the actors. Personally, I feel that Baz's over-the-top style works for the source material, where major themes include materialism, greed, and flaunting of wealth. I think that the movie does an amazing job of commenting on all of the social aspects that are discussed in Fitzgerald's novel. The only reasonI think that, ultimately, The Great Gatsby is a success for Baz, and especially for the actors. Personally, I feel that Baz's over-the-top style works for the source material, where major themes include materialism, greed, and flaunting of wealth. I think that the movie does an amazing job of commenting on all of the social aspects that are discussed in Fitzgerald's novel. The only reason I could see people being upset about this film is because of the soundtrack. Personally, I loved the integration of old and new music, I think it is a good way to bring Gatsby to a moder audience and it shows how relevant the novel still is, but I could see where people would not agree. Besides the directing and scenic design, I also think that the acting was superb. DiCaprio did an amazing job portraying the complicated character that is Gatsby. Edgerton and Mulligan did a great job portraying the Buchanans. I also liked how many of the lines in the script came *directly* from the novel, for instance "Gatsby, What Gatsby?" is one of the most famous lines in literature, and I was excited to see that it was kept in, along with many others. Only two things really bothered me about the film. 1, the insistant words that showed up on screen. It would have been fine for one or two scenes, but it became annoying after a while in my opinion. And 2, the fact that Nick Carraway has discussions with a doctor throughout the film to write a book about Gatsby, I dont understand why it could not have been narrated without an excuse of an explanation, which was not in the original novel. Expand
  55. May 17, 2013
    Wonderfully done, I think this film is being largely overlooked because of reviewers' inability to stay open minded.

The soundtrack gets the most flak, followed by the party scenes at Gatsby's luxurious mansion. I actually find that the largest annoyance, for myself, was the ghostly text appearing on-screen and the odd transitions between future and past, cutting in Tobey McGuire's head at odd points. It seems that the film backs into some dull film tropes that don't quite fit the rest of the film's wonderfully extravagant scenes.

How does a director envision a 1920's book that depicted the Roaring Twenties in the extravagant and wondrous fashion that those living then felt? It only seems right to use a similar music style to our culture. Therefore, rap and R&B styles moved in, and I think it fits the crazy and loud parties that they experienced. Many will disagree, but this is all about adapting the text to fit our modern lifestyle, and it is logical to use the musical style that serves the same purposes that jazz served to the Roaring Twenties.

The acting was a strong point in the film, one that I was not expecting. Carey Mulligan wowed as Daisy, nailing her flowery voice and childish personality. Joel Edgareton was powerful as the strong and old-money rich Tom Buchanan, capturing his burly personality. To wrap up the wonderful acting, Leo was as good as ever, the best fit for Gatsby that I could imagine at any time period; a classy man who is beautiful but has the dark side of himself, the selfish area that has created an image that can't be achieved.

I do believe that Nick Carroway was miscast, as I think that Tobey isn't the best fit. He did okay, however, as the starstruck boy.

Enjoying this film was not hard for me, as a younger individual who appreciates the music style in the first place. If one is strongly connected to the Jazz of the twenties and the story, it's important to approach the film with an open-mind, and appreciate the acting.
  56. May 14, 2013
    Luhrmann's take on Gatsby is not perfect, the modern music mixed with the tradition is slightly distasteful, but in ways brings things up to date, while still keeping the traditional mystery that encompassed the roaring 20's. The camera work in the opening scenes is extremely fast paced, and full of stunning shots, yet it's reminiscent of the novel in this way. It begins as a fast pacedLuhrmann's take on Gatsby is not perfect, the modern music mixed with the tradition is slightly distasteful, but in ways brings things up to date, while still keeping the traditional mystery that encompassed the roaring 20's. The camera work in the opening scenes is extremely fast paced, and full of stunning shots, yet it's reminiscent of the novel in this way. It begins as a fast paced piece of life and action, and slows down to capture it's essence. What really makes this Gatsby so fantastic is that is so accurately captures the spirit of the novel. The acting is superb, with Leonardo handing in a typical mesmerizing performance, while Toby Maguire stuns as Nick. Joel Edgerton and Carey Mulligan give the genuine nature of Tom and Daisy, while maintaining the vast carelessness of the two that's necessary for the magic. Lhurmann's masterpiece doesn't transport me back to the 20's, or to Gatsby's parties, but instead takes me into the heart of a man clung on hope, hope that tomorrow we WILL stretch our arms farther. That's where Lhurmann goes right, he captures the spirit of the novel, a feat that is worthy of praise. Expand
  57. Faz
    May 14, 2013
    There are a couple of classics that I've never read and this is one of them. That being said, I really enjoyed the cinematography, actors' performances, and the mixture of modern music with the world of the 1920s.
  58. May 16, 2013
    Visually striking, but a bit slow, and too long. The story did seem to lack depth and felt hollow. The use of modern rap and other asynchronous music in the soundtrack was noticeably off-putting, inappropriate, and killed suspension of disbelief. Better than the earlier versions, but still failed to have significant depth. All glitter and flash makes Gatsby a dull boy.
  59. Jun 5, 2013
    This interpretation of the great Gatsby is neither great nor good. This is a bust, add this to the recent list of DiCaprio flops. the rap music and dizzying camera work made me sick. the great f. Scot Fitzgerald nevel is turned in to garbage. The only saving grace is Toby Maguire's supporting performance. Pleas, read the book, forget the movie.
  60. Sep 22, 2013
    When I saw this movie, I had no idea what to expect. I mainly wanted to see this because of its ensemble cast, but after watching it, I can safely say it is so far 2013's best film. I found the story of the film to be pretty well written. It's very interesting, and with its fine acting, the film kept me off the edge of my seat, anticipating what will happen next. I have yet to read theWhen I saw this movie, I had no idea what to expect. I mainly wanted to see this because of its ensemble cast, but after watching it, I can safely say it is so far 2013's best film. I found the story of the film to be pretty well written. It's very interesting, and with its fine acting, the film kept me off the edge of my seat, anticipating what will happen next. I have yet to read the book, so I have no idea how much it stays true to the source novel. The cast does a great job as their roles. Leonardo and Toby kill it as their roles, as they are the best actors in the entire film. The rest does great as well, though I think that some actors had potential to do more in the film. My favorite aspect of the movie is the visuals and the music. The film is visually exciting, as there are colors all over the place. this is best evident during the party scenes. The music is very catchy, and I constantly find myself humming along to the tunes this film has to offer. Really my only problem with this film certain scenes. I felt that there were a few scenes that were trying to go for something emotional to happen, but it never really got there, let alone didn't try to. For example, the scene where Tom and Myrtle break up could have gone somewhere in the film, but the characters never speak any dialogue again. Aside from these select scenes, The Great Gatsby is visually charming, well acted, and musically catchy, making up for what I believe is the best film of the year so far. Expand
  61. Jun 6, 2013
    I went into this movie thinking it would be alright because im not a fan of baz's but i had read the book so i saw it because i read the novel. this movie blew me away, the acting was excellent and perfectly picked for each part, the story great if you are into that kind of story like a romantic very dramatic one with little action but thats okay i felt like the modern music and style wasI went into this movie thinking it would be alright because im not a fan of baz's but i had read the book so i saw it because i read the novel. this movie blew me away, the acting was excellent and perfectly picked for each part, the story great if you are into that kind of story like a romantic very dramatic one with little action but thats okay i felt like the modern music and style was a great addition to add to the movie. now comparison between the novel and the movie are just alike but with few changes to make it into a better movie based off the novel. the cinematography in the movie was great i loved the color or filter that baz's brought into this dark world it looked great and the 3d was ok but nothing exceptional. overall this was a very good movie that many people should see but dont expect a lot of action. Expand
  62. Jun 6, 2013
    what a great disappointment this movie was. a totally unrealistic and poorly directed movie i am a die hard Leonardo fan but this was the worst movie i have seen him in. my wife and i have watched nearly ten thousand movies together over the years. we have only ever walked out of three movies. the great Gatsby was the third.

the camera shot changes were so fast they hurt the eyes

the camera shot changes were so fast they hurt the eyes and the whole movie was a cross between a poor melodrama and a and a badly produced farce. after enduring one hour and ten minutes of over stimulation and a care less attitude from the actors, we decided to leave.

for a movie that promised so much, it delievered very little. even the great Leonardo DiCaprio seemed disinterested in his part. he particularly appeared reluctant to deliever his lines when the included the words old sport.
  63. Jun 11, 2013
    Great soundtrack, insane visuals, intense performances, and some good humor to boot. A sick adaptation of Gatsby. It far exceeded my expectations. The critics must be seeing a completely different film than me.
  64. Aug 31, 2013
    Disgraceful, distasteful and every other adjective that means appalling, and that still wouldn't be enough to describe this movie. Leo was flat out embarrassing. One of the worst movies I've ever seen.
  65. Jun 16, 2013
    This movie completely captures the flavor of Fitzgerald's words with the images of Baz Luhrmann. I did not expect it to be REAL. I expected it to be romantic and impressionistic and it was. Strong performance by Leonard Dicaprio. His acting and the extravagance of the sets were well worth the price of admission to me.
  66. Aug 13, 2013
    the great gatsby was a excellent and great movie
    this is the best adaptation of fitzgerald's novel
    all the cast was excellent especially leonardo dicaprio and tobey maguire
  67. Jun 22, 2013
    Visually stunning, great pace and dramatization. IMO really gets to the core issues Fitzgerald had in mind. Makes you think about your own goals in life and what happiness really is.
  68. Jun 25, 2013
    Here's my review: i am not going to see this even if it comes out on a $2 DVD sale at BigW. It reminds me of the movie Australia, overlong, boring and self indulgent, it assumes its own importance will draw me in. I haven't seen Australia either.
  69. Jun 30, 2013
    Great film, everything about the movie was fascinating.. I was kept on edge until the ending which was a complete shock to me, I keep replaying scenes of the movie in my imagination, it's a very impressive film that was very compelling. I don't think my words are enough to express how great this film is, go watch it and experience the enjoyment for yourself. I am slightly upset by theGreat film, everything about the movie was fascinating.. I was kept on edge until the ending which was a complete shock to me, I keep replaying scenes of the movie in my imagination, it's a very impressive film that was very compelling. I don't think my words are enough to express how great this film is, go watch it and experience the enjoyment for yourself. I am slightly upset by the number of people that didn't like this film, to say this film doesn't meet your standards is a joke. Expand
  70. Aug 25, 2013
    There's never been a film like this!!! A masterpiece!!!! One of the best films ever made, and one of Leo's best pictures!!!! Baz Luhrmann has a gift!!!!
  71. Aug 31, 2013
    As a reader of the F Scott Fitzgerald novel and watcher of the, Robert Redford, film The Great Gatsby I loved the new film. The New film only reinforced my admiration of this timeless story. Green Light
  72. Aug 20, 2013
    I originally thought I wasn't going to enjoy this film because I feared it was going to be all flash with no substance as the special effects and odd choices of music would be the film's dominating elements. While the film has a lot of flash and style, it still contained the heart of the novel and it was incredibly addicting and enthralling. Finally, the performances are amazing withI originally thought I wasn't going to enjoy this film because I feared it was going to be all flash with no substance as the special effects and odd choices of music would be the film's dominating elements. While the film has a lot of flash and style, it still contained the heart of the novel and it was incredibly addicting and enthralling. Finally, the performances are amazing with Joel Edgerton really being the spotlight stealer in this one! Expand
  73. Oct 19, 2013
    Within the first ten minutes of this movie you know its a Baz Luhrman film. Baz tries to throw a modern spin on a 1920's flick in which he successfully executes. The characters were all over-acted which seems to be on purpose and, considering the setting, was appropriate. Leonardo was the perfect man to play as Mr. Jay Gatsby and he executed flawlessly as always. The casting for all theWithin the first ten minutes of this movie you know its a Baz Luhrman film. Baz tries to throw a modern spin on a 1920's flick in which he successfully executes. The characters were all over-acted which seems to be on purpose and, considering the setting, was appropriate. Leonardo was the perfect man to play as Mr. Jay Gatsby and he executed flawlessly as always. The casting for all the other characters were also done extremely well. The movie did not stray from the infamous novel which was appreciated. Expand
  74. Aug 30, 2013
    This was a very decent movie. It was very well-made in my opinion. I thought that the first third was the best part, I loved the party scenes, they were so beautifully made.
  75. Aug 13, 2013
    Exciting and thought-provoking. A talented cast, along with stunning visuals think Moulin Rouge capture the imagination and curiosity of its viewers. It kept me well at the edge of my seat, guessing and second guessing the characters involved. As the story unfolds, "ooo"s and "ahh"s are likely to escape your lips as it did mine.
  76. Aug 22, 2013
    The acting in 'The Great Gatsby' was incredible, Leonardo DiCaprio throws out of the park with this performance. DiCaprio slips into the role of Gatsby perfectly, he found all of the key qualities of the deep character of Gatsby. Maguire unlike most of his performance is no longer playing Tobey Maguire, he is a great narrator to the story, and I put that down to the direction from BazThe acting in 'The Great Gatsby' was incredible, Leonardo DiCaprio throws out of the park with this performance. DiCaprio slips into the role of Gatsby perfectly, he found all of the key qualities of the deep character of Gatsby. Maguire unlike most of his performance is no longer playing Tobey Maguire, he is a great narrator to the story, and I put that down to the direction from Baz Luhrmann.The rest of the cast were sublime the acting quality is incredibly high on this feature. Luhrmann is a great director, however despite his skill his vibrant colors do distract from the actual film, which is a down side, obviously. The writing of the film is good and I personally loved the way the narration is taken straight from the book as we see Maguire writing it.

The film in itself is very good and enjoyable, however the cinematography,editing and colors can be very distracting, because of this I've docked my score of the film
  77. Oct 13, 2013
    I really didn't know what to expect when I watched this movie, but I can tell you I was at least pleased with the outcome. Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire both did good performances as well. While the film provides an interesting look at the height of the "Roaring Twenties" and a devastating look into the dark side of the American dream, it's running time of nearly 21/2 hours and aI really didn't know what to expect when I watched this movie, but I can tell you I was at least pleased with the outcome. Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire both did good performances as well. While the film provides an interesting look at the height of the "Roaring Twenties" and a devastating look into the dark side of the American dream, it's running time of nearly 21/2 hours and a near-constant bombardment of visual over-stimulation might make the film somewhat exhausting for some. Every bit as visually dazzling as one might expect with it's production, grand sets, scenery, and detailed costume designs. I personally feel that while this film doesn't necessarily belongs to the category of overblown, over-elaborate movies out there, it could have benefited from having a less dazzling tone. All that aside, the plot was good and I felt sad at the end for Gatsby. Whether or not the film is a satisfactory adaptation of the novel I can't say because I haven't read the book.

If you liked this review, please read my other ones on a wide variety of movies and TV shows and mark this review as helpful.
  78. Sep 30, 2013
    Be aware going in that this is a Baz Luhrmann movie so there is an interesting twist on the cinematography and music selections. This is an enjoyable movie with a fairly quick pace Quite enjoyable but not for everyone.
  79. Oct 27, 2013
    The Great Gatsby Baz Luhrmann (May 2013)
    Lavish and Extravagant! Director Baz Luhrmann’s 2013 adaptation of The Great Gatsby captured the over the top love story perfectly. Without wasting any time on intros or credits, Luhrmann jumps into the story line, which does not stick to the traditional sappy love story of happily ever after.
    The film was set during the Prohibition-era of the
    The Great Gatsby Baz Luhrmann (May 2013)
    The film was set during the Prohibition-era of the 1920’s, a time where the rich became rich from corruption and greed. The film took place in Long Island between the East Egg and West Egg, through the Valley of Ashes to New York. The narrator, Nick Carraway finds himself caught in the life of money and secrets. Nick is lured into this wasteful life by his mysterious neighbor Gatsby. Jay Gatsby played by Leonardo DiCaprio, recreated himself to be a part of the new money. A man of many Gatsby lived in West egg, where he threw lavish excessive bashes at his extravagant mansion, in order to catch the eye of his lost love Daisy. Daisy who lived right across the bay in East Egg was played Carey Mulligan. I must say Mulligan embodied Daisy to the tee. Her flawless beauty and carelessness provokes faux innocence and yet she was still able to maintain control of her charter.
    I cannot say I enjoyed every charter in this film. Nick Carraway who was played by Tobey Maguire, narrated the film from his asylum. I felt Nick was portrayed as to weak and naive for his new surroundings then he should have been. He became Gatsby’s lapdog and fell into the fabulously wealthy and corrupted lifestyle without any hesitation. Another issue I had throughout the film was we find Gatsby to change as he becomes closer to Daisy. He begins showing weakness and becomes pathetic in is attempt to win her love back. His inability to hold on to control of the situation and his fading façade, ultimately lead to Gatsby’s demise.
    The visuals and soundtrack were charismatic and entrancing. Luhrmann was able to combine a modern feel with the old world style. The sets throughout the film where grand, the homes were lavish and in all had an impressively unreal feel. The West Egg of new money was shiny and glamorous, while across the bay in East Egg the old money was classic and traditional. In between Long Island and New York sat the Valley of Ashes where Lurhmann did a good job at depicting the dirty and grimy side of life. I enjoyed watching the party scenes that took place at the Gatsby mansion. The high energy, bold colors and lively music made you jealous that you were not at that party. Yes, there were a few awkward camera angels which if removed would make the film easier to watch. For example during the party scenes the camera moved from one scene to the next rapidly and at a different angle, making it tough to follow and concentrate on. But overall Luhrmann wanted to capture the dazzle and epic events that took place, which I feel he portrayed nicely.
    The sound track for the film included Jay-Z along with a star studded list of musicians. The music incorporated modern hip-hop with the jazz age trumpet and piano. Many will disagree, but I feel the soundtrack matched the film perfectly. I think the addition of the new aged jazz and hip-hop music added a fresh feeling and keyed in on a modern roaring 20’s. Also it would have left the audience feeling confused if Luhrmann combined this fast paced and glamorous film with old time blues and ragtime music.
    To say the least, the film is horribly underrated because many compare Luhrmann’s adaptation of The Great Gatsby to the 1949 and 1974 versions of the film. Others also crisis Luhrmann’s for straying away from the original plot in the book by F. Scott Fitzgerald. However I feel Luhrmann’s modern twist on the old tale created a film incomparable to the previous versions. Its grandness and over dramatic scene with the combination of outlandish parties, burst violence, and tragic romance made the film thoroughly enjoyable to watch.
    -Jolene
  80. Nov 15, 2013
    This is probably the most uninteresting movie. You shouldn't put newer music in a movie that's supposed to take place in 20's, the music threw everything off. Yeah the movie should only be partially like the book but since the book is a really good classic you guys screwed everything up. Leonardo dicaprio is an amazing actor and is good in this movie but the rest of actors is just a no.
  81. Nov 29, 2013
    The Great Gatsby is perhaps the greatest American novel ever written. The novel deserves a perfect adaptation that captures its spirit as well as heartrending tragedy. Many have tried, most notably Robert Redford and his golden smile, but all have failed. Now, Baz Luhrmann, director of the critically divided Romeo and Juliet, attempts to tackle one of Hollywood's adaptations. The criticsThe Great Gatsby is perhaps the greatest American novel ever written. The novel deserves a perfect adaptation that captures its spirit as well as heartrending tragedy. Many have tried, most notably Robert Redford and his golden smile, but all have failed. Now, Baz Luhrmann, director of the critically divided Romeo and Juliet, attempts to tackle one of Hollywood's adaptations. The critics were once again thoroughly divided on his film, most claiming that Leonardo diCaprio made the movie as Gatsby shine but the film lacked the true heart of the book, replacing the important character development with over the top party scenes. The question is: We're the critics right? Or is this the Gatsby movie that Fitzgerald fans have been waiting for?
    The story is told by Nick Carraway, played by Tobey Maguire, who is swept into the world of Gatsby's lavish Long Island parties. He learns that Gatsby, played by Leonardo Dicaprio, has one goal in his life: to reunite with his lost love Daisy Buchanan (Carey Mulligan), who has married to a wealthy billionaire named Tom (Joel Edgerton). The acting in this movie puts all prior iterations to shame. I will be wholeheartedly disappointed if DiCaprio does not take home Oscar gold for his performance as Jay Gatsby. This is the greatest performance of the year in one of the hardest roles to portray, featuring layers upon layers of emotional complexity, doubts, and forlorn love. Yet DiCaprio can do no wrong, flawlessly blending all of Gatsby's traits and mannerisms to create the quintessential Gatsby we all have dreamt for. Carey Mulligan also does extremely well, outshining all other Daisys by giving the lead a distinct personality and making viewers feel legitimately sorry for her, despite her inability to choose Gatsby over Tom. Even Edgerton is great, not acting as an inherently evil Tom, but a wealthy upper class man who can't cope with not getting everything he wants. The only fault in the acting department is Maguire. Although his performance isn't bad, his narrations feel extremely superficial, almost as if he was reading them for the first time instead of taking ownership of his own thoughts. However, DiCaprio's insightful performance, which brought me to tears on multiple occasions, is breathtaking and allows the viewer to truly immerse themselves in the story.
    One major complaint of critics is the fact that the movie focuses more on visual imagery and eye candy than the actual story. For the first twenty minutes, I thought they were right. These opening scenes were extremely rushed, allowing for no character development and annoying me as I tried to piece together what each chopping edited scene was trying to tell me. But everything changed in the scene when Gatsby and Daisy first meet. This scene is so awkward, yet so beautiful. This is quite possibly one of my favorite movie scenes of the past few years, and after it, I disregarded the opening half hour and never looked back. Every interaction, every conversation, every kiss is flawlessly executed. The montage of their tour of Gatsby's mansion, which unfolds along with Lana del Ray's masterpiece "Young and Beautiful", is heartwarming and unforgettable, as you can see the perfect expression of newfound hope in both actors' eyes. From that point on, I enjoyed nearly every second of the movie, especially the tension-filled climax in the Plaza Hotel which also astounded me with its ability to play with my emotions. Even the creative licensing the movie takes is done well. Putting Nick in a mental institution after the events of the novel is an interesting and completely plausible interpretation of the story, which leads to an ending scene that I never would have expected. But it was done so well, now I can't see it being done any other way.
    However, the movie isn't without faults. As said before, the first thirty minutes are a cluttered mess that almost sink the movie before it gets to its shining moments. Along with this, I do see where other critics are coming from when they say the parties are overdone. They undeniably are. Sometimes the movie focuses too much on the special effects and the guests rather than the extraordinary host, which occasionally disappoints. However, when the movie works, it really works.
    The Great Gatsby is not a perfect adaptation of the Great American Novel, and I'm thoroughly convinced that such a thing cannot exist. However, this film is the best one out there and a great movie in general. It may focus on the parties too much and the opening really fails. However, old sport, everything else is just too good to overlook. DiCaprio gives a career-defining performance that, if the Academy has any sense, should net him Oscar gold. Every facet of the film, from the acting to the surprisingly effective soundtrack to the jaw-dropping special effects, works on many levels, and I'd be lying if I said that I was expecting the emotional impact I received. I, like Gatsby, believe in the green light. While this movie can never reach that level of perfection, just like Gatsby can never reach the green light across the sound, it should never die, just like Gatsby's extraordinary gift for hope. The Great Gatsby beats on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Follow me on twitter @cbeers2513
  82. Jan 2, 2014
    This film is full of brilliant actors, a story told in a very good way. The setting is beautiful. The screen play is amazing. I can watch this film time and time again.
  83. May 18, 2013
    The Great Gatsby starts weak. Everything felt too uneventful, the introduction of characters and their performances were overshadowed by the fast paced direction that seemed to give more importance to its bombastic and exuberant screenplay than anything else. Whats more, the script which is full of actual quotes from the book felt forced. Is as if Luhrmann wanted to draw every detail fromThe Great Gatsby starts weak. Everything felt too uneventful, the introduction of characters and their performances were overshadowed by the fast paced direction that seemed to give more importance to its bombastic and exuberant screenplay than anything else. Whats more, the script which is full of actual quotes from the book felt forced. Is as if Luhrmann wanted to draw every detail from the book as fast as possible and with little depth. Fortunately the movie eventually slows down and starts delivering a much more profound and interesting film. The scenes become longer and much more significant, and the performances from the great cast start to flourish. Leonardo DiCaprio is the highlight, delivering a very credible Gatsby that fits perfectly within the lines of the book. That is with Joel Edgerton also delivering an incredible performance as Tom. At the end. the movie then becomes a smooth combination of great story, acting and amazing cinematography, but never letting the latter outshine the former like it did in the first 15 minutes or so. Ultimately it is a very enjoyable film that effectively transcends the book into the big screen, and its one of the best movies of the year so far. Expand
  84. May 11, 2013
    I wasn't sure what to expect, but my expectations were relatively high. They were high however for Luhrmann's "thing" and here he frankly walks a pretty straight and narrow. The movie is a solid "good" movie, wonderful costumes, acting/casting... but it never really took off the way I imagined the director would make it.
  85. May 16, 2013
    Baz Luhrmann returns for his new fifth film, The Great Gatsby. Since the dark romantic edge of Romeo Juliet and the goofy over the top musical of Moulin Rouge, The Great Gatsby takes the new wonderful view of F. Scott Fitzgerald's greatest novel. In 1920's, Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire) is a bond salesman who tells his story about Jay Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio) is a mysteriousBaz Luhrmann returns for his new fifth film, The Great Gatsby. Since the dark romantic edge of Romeo Juliet and the goofy over the top musical of Moulin Rouge, The Great Gatsby takes the new wonderful view of F. Scott Fitzgerald's greatest novel. In 1920's, Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire) is a bond salesman who tells his story about Jay Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio) is a mysterious businessman who lives a rich mansion and he desperately fells in love with Daisy (Carey Mulligan) who still lives with her rich husband, Tom (Joel Edgerton). Carraway spends quality time with Gatsby at the huge party that has a terrific design sets and a good looking people. Gatsby and Daisy are fell in love for a long time and they both have a good chemistry to each other. The Great Gatsby is a nicely well done movie with great acting, great effects, and great characters. The visuals are very astounding, while watching in 3D. Tobey Maguire did really good job as Nick Carraway and finally return his acting career since the Spider-Man Trilogy. Leonardo DiCaprio did a fantastic job for portraying as Jay Gatsby in his good looks and acting like Orsen Welles. Even though I'm not a huge fan of Baz Luhrmann's work for his fast paced and his over the top performances, but I think the film did a really good job and Luhrmann has a great taste for making a huge poetic film. Much more better than Romeo Juliet or Moulin Rouge, but at least it has flaws. Thumbs Up. Expand
  86. Mar 22, 2014
    I enjoyed this movie. The sets are fantastic, although the juxtaposition of modern music with a 1920's setting is not a good choice. I would expect this in a Broadway musical, but to see 1920's characters dancing to Jay-Z is just distracting in this film. They could just as easily have replaced the phones in the film with the latest IPhones, it would have had the same effect.. The musicI enjoyed this movie. The sets are fantastic, although the juxtaposition of modern music with a 1920's setting is not a good choice. I would expect this in a Broadway musical, but to see 1920's characters dancing to Jay-Z is just distracting in this film. They could just as easily have replaced the phones in the film with the latest IPhones, it would have had the same effect.. The music unnecessarily breaks the fourth wall even though the characters do not. The film is otherwise great. Expand
  87. May 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I wish “The Great Gatsby” had opted to be either much more faithful or much less faithful to Fitzgerald's novel. As it was, the film’s fidelity, especially early on, made its ultimate departures dismaying--at least to this lover of both Fitzgerald's writing and Luhrmann's films. It was as though the director was perfectly happy to party with the novelist but didn’t want to endure the brutal clarity of his hangover. The worst offenders, for me, were the kinder, gentler Daisy and Tom. In the novel, though superficially charming, they are, at heart, cruel, greedy and self-obsessed; in the film, they are flawed but relatively sympathetic. And, to make that work, Luhrman makes Gatsby less sympathetic--and he makes Nick’s admiration for Gatsby deeply suspect. During the final showdown at the Plaza Hotel, for example, Luhrmann's Gatsby becomes physically violent, alarming Daisy, who then decides to leave him. In the novel, Gatsby's violence is limited to a fleeting facial expression, and Daisy's terror has multiple causes, not least the intrusion of real passions into her elaborate social game. In the film, right after Myrtle is killed, Tom points her vengeful husband at Gatsby, as the driver of the "death car." Perfectly understandable: Gatsby normally drives the car, and Tom is distraught over the death of his lover. In the novel, however, Tom fingers Gatsby the following day, AFTER learning that Gatsby is innocent and his own wife the killer. That's a whole 'nother level of depravity, and, for me, it's much more interesting than "he did it because he was grieving," a tired motive that appears on TV at least a hundred times per week. So what does Luhrman achieve by making Fitzgerald's characters more familiar and formulaic while preserving so much of Fitzgerald's language and plot? For one thing, he backs away from the idea that vast, unearned wealth can be corrupting, as can vast differences between the “haves” and the “have nots.” Moreover, from the moment he introduces Nick as a mental patient, he decides for us that Gatsby was more deluded fool than idealist, whereas Fitzgerald was careful to keep the two possibilities balanced. These, for me, are losses. While I have no problem with plot or character changes, generally--I loved Luhrmann’s tweaking of “Romeo and Juliet,” for instance--there has to be a payoff, and I don’t see one here, unless you count instant recognition as a virtue, which, I suppose, billions of McDonald’s customers do. Finally, a word about the film's music. When I heard Filter’s “Happy Together” in a preview, I got excited. After the mostly edgeless tunes and sappy baladeering of “Moulin Rouge,” I was ready for some thrilling music to accompany Luhrmann’s thrilling visuals. But thrills turned out to be in short supply. I liked Jay Z’s “$100 Bill” for the speakeasy scene, which was appropriately urban and decadent, but some of the other hip-hop tunes clashed badly with the anti-urban milieu of the Hamptons. The most egregious misfire, however, was Lana Del Ray’s “Young and Beautiful” as the theme song of Gatsby and Daisy’s renewed love. “Will you still love me when I’m no longer young and beautiful?” asks the song, over and over, a question utterly irrelevant to the reunion, after five years, of a man cherishing a beautiful illusion and a woman seeking diversion. I can only conclude that Luhrmann and his music director, Anton Monsted, think audiences don’t listen to song lyrics. I also question Monsted’s taste (he did “Moulin Rouge,” too), which I find too reliant on what is--or has been--at the top of the charts. He strikes me as a man who listens to popular radio and little else, making most of his musical choices obvious, boring, and ill-suited to their dramatic contexts. I’ve heard much better music on TV shows such as “The Sopranos,” “Life,” and “Sons of Anarchy,” and I wish Luhrmann would hire one of their music supervisors (or me) for his next film. Expand
  88. Jun 4, 2013
    "The Great Gatsby was not as "great" as it should have been, but features some of the most dazzling visuals, outstanding soundtrack and just breathtaking performances across the board. Baz Luhrman has given the classic novel the film adaptation it deserves" B+
  89. Jun 3, 2013
    A film with some great set pieces; I found the party scenes particularly spectacular. It’s beautifully shot and I’m quite glad I saw it in 2D as I couldn’t see how 3D would have enhanced it much. I found the music interesting with the big set pieces being handed over to rapper Jay-Z (also an Executive Producer), but it was the original music by Craig Armstrong that I found mostA film with some great set pieces; I found the party scenes particularly spectacular. It’s beautifully shot and I’m quite glad I saw it in 2D as I couldn’t see how 3D would have enhanced it much. I found the music interesting with the big set pieces being handed over to rapper Jay-Z (also an Executive Producer), but it was the original music by Craig Armstrong that I found most enthralling. There are several well known themes subtly placed in the soundtrack and I found both refreshing and interesting. All the performances were great with DiCaprio and Mulligan getting top billing; but I thought Tobey Maguire was equally good. I guess I’ll have to read the book to be able to decide just how good an adaptation this is; but for now I found it quite a satisfying watch with plenty of drama to keep me entertained. If I was to be super critical I would have to say I found the character of Gatsby a little one-dimensional, but having said that it’s still well worth a look if you get the chance.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 7.5/10
  90. May 15, 2013
    Director Baz Luhrmann creates extravagant and exceptional cinematic imagery. The first 90 minutes of this 2:23 long movie bristle with electric energy: dazzling mise en scene, dynamic pacing and gorgeous cinematography. Once the dramatic conflict grabs hold, it slams to a stop and starts to feel long. Leonardo DiCaprio gives a subdued, but nuanced performance in the title role. TobeyDirector Baz Luhrmann creates extravagant and exceptional cinematic imagery. The first 90 minutes of this 2:23 long movie bristle with electric energy: dazzling mise en scene, dynamic pacing and gorgeous cinematography. Once the dramatic conflict grabs hold, it slams to a stop and starts to feel long. Leonardo DiCaprio gives a subdued, but nuanced performance in the title role. Tobey Maguire (Carraway) is appropriately bland and the ladies are lovely. The soundtrack, a mashup of 20s period, jazz, hip hop and R&B, is outstanding right thru the credits. This is a big, glamorous motion picture. A bit emotionally slight, but impressive to appreciate. Expand
  91. Nov 14, 2013
    This is a very mixed movie.

On one hand, the performances are great, with the exception of Tobey Maguire who got tiresome after a while, especially in the narrating scenes. The art direction is fantastic. It really captures the decadence and excess of that decade. The modern music soundtrack is a hit and miss. On the other hand, the film just felt all over the place. The editing is
    This is a very mixed movie.

On the other hand, the film just felt all over the place. The editing is very fast. While that's a good thing in the party scenes (which were my favorite), it wasn't in the intimate ones, where you need to slow down and give room for the characters to breathe in.

There lies the movie's ultimate problem: it successfully portrayed the age in which the story takes in, but not the story and characters themselves.
  92. Jun 9, 2013
    Despite a brilliantly vibrant cast, The Great Gatsby is merely an intoxicated image of 1920's extravagance and a poor interpretation of the classic we know and love.
  93. Feb 16, 2014
    The Great Gatsby is my favorite novel of all time and I am keenly aware that it is super difficult to translate into film. That said, if you can make it past the garish "I'm Bazz Lurhmann!" horror of the first 30 minutes, the director finally lets his actors breathe and the classic scenes come raining down with suitable emotion. It's not a home-run for sure, but this version of The GreatThe Great Gatsby is my favorite novel of all time and I am keenly aware that it is super difficult to translate into film. That said, if you can make it past the garish "I'm Bazz Lurhmann!" horror of the first 30 minutes, the director finally lets his actors breathe and the classic scenes come raining down with suitable emotion. It's not a home-run for sure, but this version of The Great Gatsby is at least a good try. Expand
  94. Jun 2, 2013
    Love is blind, motivating, energizing. Gatsby the new name of a poor man who becomes wealthy out of nowhere. He buys a huge residence close to his lost love, he invites the town hopping she shows up. When he finds her he starts going back to losing her again. He is finally killed by wrong understanding from a poor man who thought Gatsby is behind his wife killing in a car accident.Love is blind, motivating, energizing. Gatsby the new name of a poor man who becomes wealthy out of nowhere. He buys a huge residence close to his lost love, he invites the town hopping she shows up. When he finds her he starts going back to losing her again. He is finally killed by wrong understanding from a poor man who thought Gatsby is behind his wife killing in a car accident. Excellent scenes and colors, persuading acting. Everybody has this movie in mind days after leaving the theater. Not to be missed. Expand
  95. Jun 1, 2013
    I don't ever give scores like these. But, this is indeed an exception.
    It's not a movie for everybody, but nonetheless, everybody should see it at least once. It is a great movie, period.
    Just go watch it and don't loose any more time, it's just Unique, and when you'll leave the seat, i guarantee that you'll get out of there with your heart full.
  96. Jun 2, 2013
    The Great Gatsby: Maybe it’s like caviar, an acquired taste that I have yet to acquire, but I didn’t care for “Gatsby.” I didn’t like the book in high school or college, I didn’t care for the re-read last month, and I didn’t much care for the movie. Daisy Buchannan was nicely cast (cute but perfectly shallow) but everyone else was a cardboard cutout, and the movie was overwrought:The Great Gatsby: Maybe it’s like caviar, an acquired taste that I have yet to acquire, but I didn’t care for “Gatsby.” I didn’t like the book in high school or college, I didn’t care for the re-read last month, and I didn’t much care for the movie. Daisy Buchannan was nicely cast (cute but perfectly shallow) but everyone else was a cardboard cutout, and the movie was overwrought: “Gatsby” didn’t need truckloads of CGI, and loading it up as they did made it seem like a comic book. It was pretty to look at but, seriously, when they stopped at Wilson’s Texaco station I was waiting for Batman to slowly settle in the background. There were some highlights though: Daisy and Nick dancing to the heavy downbeat of the Wurlitzer and the image collage of Gatsby and Daisy together, shot in sepia, like framed portraits from the 1920s. Other than that, fodder for the 3D generation. Two and a half stars from this old codger. Expand
  97. Jun 3, 2013
    I both like and hate The Great Gatsby. How? Why let me explain! The first half of the film basically relies on too much of modern rap music, annoying close ups and bizarre sequences that feel like the film itself is on acid. Not only are those a problem, but also the film begins to fall into campy territories with unintentionally funny moments and over-the-top acting. But later on in theI both like and hate The Great Gatsby. How? Why let me explain! The first half of the film basically relies on too much of modern rap music, annoying close ups and bizarre sequences that feel like the film itself is on acid. Not only are those a problem, but also the film begins to fall into campy territories with unintentionally funny moments and over-the-top acting. But later on in the film, the flaws of the first half begin to fade (though they reappear sometimes) and the film starts to feel more like a 1920s drama film rather than an over-the-top bizarre stage play music video. The film, to be honest, didn't need to be as visually impressive as it is and the 3D, though good at times, didn't need to be present. Besides a pretty robotic performance from Carey Mulligan, the acting was often solid, though every actor and actress had their fair-share of over-the-top and campy moments. In the conclusion, The Great Gatsby is a visually dazzling and a decent movie, though self-indulgent and not at all great. Expand
  98. Jul 11, 2014
    Very strong adaptation and visual assertion into a provokitive atmosphere wound through beautiful visual charismatics in costumes, art-direction and in the usage of 3D. The astounding music sways the movie forward, but when you have actors simply embodying their characters, this might be the most memorable movie of the summer that is steadily improving over time.
  99. May 18, 2013
    Watched this topical Baz Luhrmann extravaganza in a plain 2D version, adapted from a world-famous classic, the daunting comparison is predestined, lucky me for being completely oblivious of the original novel and its earlier cinema adaption, so I feel privileged to take my pleasure from viewing this film without being nettled by any premeditated notions whatsoever, blessing the ignorance!Watched this topical Baz Luhrmann extravaganza in a plain 2D version, adapted from a world-famous classic, the daunting comparison is predestined, lucky me for being completely oblivious of the original novel and its earlier cinema adaption, so I feel privileged to take my pleasure from viewing this film without being nettled by any premeditated notions whatsoever, blessing the ignorance!

Zero expectation does assuage the nitpicking impulse, this period film establishes its unparalleled visual spectacle which its additional charge of a 3D fee could be considerably goaded, it has been the first time I wish I could watched it with the unease gizmo since INCEPTION (2010, 9/10). The upbeat Hip-Hop infused party music and retro-induced melancholiac strains (now I can not get Lana Del Rey’s YOUNG AND BEAUTIFUL out of my mind) is another novelty rarely being presented in a period drama, Luhrmann again victoriously testifies himself is the maestro of contemporary cinema’s flamboyance and garishness (without any pejorative overtone).

The long-time-no-see former Spidey Tobey Maguire (who is still able to pass off as a twenty-some due to his perpetual baby-face) is the narrator of an ill-fated love story, and surprisingly he does occupy such a lengthy screen time, even outstays DiCaprio’s Gatsby. He is the observer, the bystander and a useful buffer between Gatsby and Daisy, Luhrmann and his co-writer Craig Pearce intentionally sacrifice his personal life (no relationship entanglement at all) to intensify his unspeakable admiration towards Gatsby (a bromance in the period time?), he is the one who is captivated by Gatsby’s beguiling friendship, his grandstanding lifestyle and the money to sustain all these grandiosity and opulence. Maguire is impeccable as a wide-eyed third wheel, a surviver who is destined to tell the tale.

Then comes the problematic couple, Gatsby and Daisy, both being introduced under the heightened and pompous settings, Mulligan’s Daisy is first seen by her slender legs swinging with curtains fluttering around, a spoiled flapper subordinated by male chauvinism (who sincerely hope her young daughter would be a fool since it is the perfect niche for a girl). Gatsby, whose front officially being spotlighted during the lavish party, with tender golden light lingers much longer than it should be, DiCaprio’s over-familiar persona almost prompts me into laughter. Both thespians are impassioned with the best they can offer, their first meeting in the film is a marvelous romantic gambit, and Baz still gets it!

I must be too optimistic to say DiCaprio may stand a chance to win over Oscar’s attention this time, his red-faced yelling outburst during the conflict is his Oscar-bait, but makes me squirm a bit, since it is his stock antics. For Mulligan, her role has an innate defect for being the collateral culprit of the denouement, so the misogynous judgement aside, Mulligan is praiseworthy in balancing the morally equivocal personality with her dainty style. My only cast gripe is the usually-outstanding Edgerton, as Daisy’s gentrified husband Tom, Edgerton is too vulgar in physique and looks like a nouveau-riche doesn’t tally with the chic surroundings.

A few technical glitches, the editing is a shade too fast in the first half, noticeably during the happy-moment sequence of the reunion, the glitz does hurt my eyes. Then near the end, the caption-floating of Fitzgerald’s text is a lame maneuver, we all know there are too many to tell in the book, however poetic it is, a more subtle approach is recommended.

It is an over-romanticized saga, the final telephone call good-heartedly bookends it, even facing the demise, at least a tinge of warmth manages to run through our senses, one may call it over sentimental, others may refer it as poetic license, all in all, I think it is worth your ticket, and I cannot believe I would say that, even in the despised 3D form.
  100. Nov 3, 2013
    There is little of redeeming value in this flick. It made me nostalgic for the version with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow and the critics weren't very kind to that one either.

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 11, 2013
    Even when the movie's not working, its style fascinates. That "not working" part is a deal breaker, though — and it has little to do with Luhrmann's stylistic gambits, and everything to do with his inability to reconcile them with an urge to play things straight.
  2. Reviewed by: Dave Calhoun
    May 27, 2013
    What Luhrmann makes intoxicating is a sense of place – the houses, the rooms, the city, the roads – and the sense that all this is unfolding in a bubble like some mad fable. Where he falters is in persuading us that these are real, breathing folk whose experiences and destinies can move us.
  3. Reviewed by: Jane Crowther
    May 20, 2013
    Gatsby fans will be unoffended yet untransported, but soundtracks will sell, DiCaprio will be on bedroom walls again and new readers may discover the book - which is no bad thing.