7.3

1. Aug 10, 2014
    I finally decided to see this film, despite its low ratings. I was pleasantly surprised and can now safely say that I understand why the novel is such a central piece of American literature.

As for the film, the acting is top notch, and the only thing I really disliked is the modern music. Outside of that, I thought it was a very profound story with some great messages and a fascinating
    central character. Expand
  2. Aug 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Film is such a gift by science and a chance to take the flat page and make it truly alive in sight and sound and mood, this movie reminds me as a child of my wonderment in seeing my first pop up picture book, and after a fleeting wonderment, just wanting to rip the image out to see if it does anything else.

Daisy is not worth Jay's efforts and pain - a failure in casting, portrayal, she's a non entity, she's not aloof, she's not animated, nor desirable in any way, we don't need to care about Daisy, but we need to see why Jay does love her, not a hint of why.

Leonardo offers the only window into his love for Daisy, the fear in his face when he stands at the open door drenched by the rain.

Nick, supposed to drive the story for us, and make us see inside Jay's soul....Tobey Maguire another epic miscast, the character of Nick needs to have a voice, and make us care and feel a loss when Jay dies, make us feel sad when no one attends his funeral, I just kept worrying about the autumn leaves getting in the pool and hoping someone would drain it before winter.

When someone has already done the hard work of writing a story for you....there is no excuse for screwing it up.

A fantastic failure at best
  3. Jul 27, 2014
    Glossy to where it's nauseating. A music track missing the era by at least eight decades. And bland performances from all with the exception of Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire. It dragged on for at least thirty minutes. And the script is just as bland as the actors' acting. And too much color. Baz Luhrmann, you have s**t for talent.
  4. Jul 11, 2014
    Very strong adaptation and visual assertion into a provokitive atmosphere wound through beautiful visual charismatics in costumes, art-direction and in the usage of 3D. The astounding music sways the movie forward, but when you have actors simply embodying their characters, this might be the most memorable movie of the summer that is steadily improving over time.
  5. Jul 7, 2014
    As I seen The Great Gatsby movie at my school, I find it pretty good. Though the only problem with this movie is the music. You see, the music wasn't fit in right. It was too modern. Especially with Jay-Z as the music producer. If he weren't producing rap music much, I would loved the movie even more. So go check it out if you hadn't seen it. It's a pretty good movie.
  6. Jul 5, 2014
    I believe modernizing "The Great Gatsby" was a huge mistake, because precise period detail plays a very important role in Gatsby's story. Using modern hip-hop and R&B songs obviously won't give you a glimpse of the roaring 20s. Casting Tobey Maguire as Nick Carraway seems wrong as well; his character is supposed to be the one any viewer could identify with, (Because in the book he is the POV character) but "Peter Parker" obviously does not have the skills to do that.

All in all with less whining - The quality of "The Great Gatsby" is mixed to negative.
  7. Jun 30, 2014
    I’ll have this soundtrack going though my head for the next couple of weeks. The Great Gatsby takes place in a futuristic feeling twenties which gives the movie a very entertaining yet confusing setting. The movie follows an average New York Wall Street broker who takes an interest in his mysterious neighbor, Mr. Gatsby. It’s hard to say what this movie is really about without giving away too much. For a movie based on a critically acclaimed novel written in the the mid-twenties, it sure has a modern feel to it. This aspect of the film bugged me at first, but I quickly got used to it, falling into the surreal fantasy of Gatsby's world. I found this movie very entertaining and fun, all while being clever. The film had a very exaggerated feel to it, like a play on broadway. At first it was distracting but the style grew on me as the movie progressed. So I have to say acting was pretty good, Leonardo DiCaprio knocked it out of the park as usual with a great performance. On more of the downside the film lacked a sense of reality and pushed characters past the point of being believable. I felt it didn't really try to be anything it wasn't, and seemed to be pretty self-aware. The movie looked and sounded great. I recommend it for a different kind of movie watching experience. Expand
  8. Jun 13, 2014
    The Great Gatsby looks to be very simple, but it actually hides a very complex story that is more than a romantic, high society, what ever story. charismatic Jay Gatsby uses all of New York to weave his shell game. It is so well written that when reading a lot of reviews, professional and not, so many do not see the forest through the trees. What Mr. Fitzgerald has done is woven multiple stories into one character, and made it look easy. The movie was well done on all aspects Expand
  9. TEM
    May 29, 2014
    The cast is excellent and it all looks perfect. I suggest reading the book first as it makes the movie better. I like Jay Z so I have no problem with the music selections. Overall, a good movie but Fitzgerald's story ultimately drags the movie down a little.
  10. Apr 3, 2014
    This is a story that lots of us have heard of. I personally enjoy this movie more than the old one. The main thing I like is that the creator could link the times when the Gatsby is from and nowadays. The costumes and decorations were from 'there, but the music was from our time. Some of the music were following the style ofjazz and some were just like dubstep, which helped to notice tge difference between two worlds. However, behind that, I felt like I am there with Gatsby and other characters, feeling everything they feel. Good new production, but I reccomend to read the book before watching. Expand
  11. Mar 22, 2014
    I enjoyed this movie. The sets are fantastic, although the juxtaposition of modern music with a 1920's setting is not a good choice. I would expect this in a Broadway musical, but to see 1920's characters dancing to Jay-Z is just distracting in this film. They could just as easily have replaced the phones in the film with the latest IPhones, it would have had the same effect.. The music unnecessarily breaks the fourth wall even though the characters do not. The film is otherwise great. Expand
  12. Mar 21, 2014
    " I've seen many great movies that DiCaprio starred but this is DiCaprio biggest hits yet " . I see a magical place and the big cities and stunning performances and especially Leanardo .
  13. Mar 19, 2014
    I liked this much more than I thought I would. The Great Gatsby takes you to another world.It has a magical feeling.I never read the book and enjoyed it.
  14. Mar 16, 2014
    I was interested why Leo didn't get an Oscar, so I went to watch this movie. In short - now I know why.
    This movie follows the book plot pretty closely, and just to get it out of the way right now - the book is much more fun. It's very nicely writted and I do recommend it. Especially over the movie.
    Some of the reviewers say the actors are a perfect cast - I dissagree. I believe that the
    women cast in this movie are perfect casts, however every man that isn't Joel Edgerton was a terrible choice. I felt Joel Edgerton had the greatest idea of what his character could be with his own capabilities, if that makes any sense to you. However DiCaprio was the worst choice for Gatsby in this movie, not because Gatsby isn't his type of role - on the contrary, it is, but director Baz Luhrmann was going in a very different direction.
    I blame Baz Luhrmann for the fall of this movie. At times the movie does look amazing with loads of atmosphere that I couldn't help but be inspired of. Anything that wasn't 3D or character-related, Baz Luhrmann did direct nicely. However in my opinion he regarded the audience as a bunch of retards and that is why the cast fails. Let me elaborate: he wanted to hint some things at the beggining of the movie, but he does it quite poorly and it looks stupid, and then after the secret is out he continues to hint at it and it becomes a hinderance the characters can't carry. Wow, that's spoiler free for you.
    Also the movie has some really weird 3D sequences that don't really fit, they are very cheaply done and look very outdated, like a lot of things in this movie. But while some things are outdated, others - like the music, tends to go into a 80s Dubstep rage and it really doesn't fit.
    I must quote Jeremy Jahns on this and say that this movie is loud and overexposed to the point of headache. I really felt overburdened by this movie and I enjoyed only a few scenes. After watching it it felt like my head is going to explode, and on the next day - I'd forgotten I had watched this movie.
    In conclusion to the review - this is an overhyped OK movie that is hindered by it's direction. In conclusion to my research: This is why Leo didn't get and Oscar and for good reason. Though I'm sorry for him, he did cap himself out a bit this year.
    I do recommend this movie if you have nothing better to do, it is consuming and fun to watch. Just don't have any expectations... Ol' Spo't
  15. Mar 7, 2014
    This film adaption of F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel, The Great Gatsby, is about a man in the 1920s trying to win back the woman he loves. This version is a cartoon with real life actors - everything super brightly colored and sporting more special effects than a Star Wars movie, much of it very fake looking. Gatsby's home when shot from the exterior is so obviously computer generated it's shocking. There's plenty of blue screen (or green screen these days) that is about as obvious as can be, with the lighting on the actor standing in front of the green screen not matching the lighting in the scene projected behind him on the green screen. It might as well be a Godzilla movie from the 60s at those moments. You might wonder why they felt the need for so many effects. The camera whizzes around Long Island over and under elevated tracks in Manhattan, almost all of which (both Manhattan and Long Island) appear computer generated, so much like a computer game I felt like readying my controller to start controlling the main character. It's a miracle that amidst all this crazy visual jazz, that the story's basic outline (because that is all there is here; just a skeleton of the plot) doesn't get lost. That was a feat and for that I give it 1 star out of 10.

The movie does calm down in that last half hour and become closer to something normal visually, but by then I was tired of watching. Add to this the bizarre use of hip hop and other music not of the period (Jay-Z and Beyonce; that's Jay Z's ego ruining the movie, as he's a producer of this catastrophe) and you get the impression that this was made by an extremely insecure story teller who had no faith in his audience or in his abilities to capture their attention simply by telling story. Maybe he didn't have faith in his actors. Whatever the cause, the director or whoever called the shots, decided that rendering the story well wasn't enough without overstuffing the production with candy colored effects and noise ad nauseam. The result is that, instead of being drawn into the story, you are constantly pushed out by the weird over-the-top distractions. It's like watching a Shakespeare play while someone constantly lights of fireworks in front of the production. What an ordeal! You think it's innocent enough - just spending a couple hours watching a movie - but by the time it's over you feel like you've been in some kind of two hour accident or a small war. You feel damaged. I recommend instead the novel, which is quite beautifully written.
  16. Mar 3, 2014
    Luhrmann's attempt to modernise the story does come across overall as rather stilted. I can see how the purists would be annoyed at the lack of subtlety and how certain themes and characters are portrayed. As a cinematic piece however, the visuals, with some great editing in scenes, and certain performances hold this film together.
  17. Feb 16, 2014
    The Great Gatsby is my favorite novel of all time and I am keenly aware that it is super difficult to translate into film. That said, if you can make it past the garish "I'm Bazz Lurhmann!" horror of the first 30 minutes, the director finally lets his actors breathe and the classic scenes come raining down with suitable emotion. It's not a home-run for sure, but this version of The Great Gatsby is at least a good try. Expand
  18. Feb 14, 2014
    The new remake of The Great Gatsby is good enough in visuals to keep a person watching but even with the newly written screenplay being closely accurate to the story may be a slight disappointment for even the greatest Gatsby fans.
  19. Jan 31, 2014
    Really wonderful film with great Leonardo Dicaprio. It is good that today in the world which had lost all morale principles we can see such a film...Moreover there's also a great soundtrack!
  20. Jan 28, 2014
    Beautiful picture with really good actors and a interesting story, but the jay-z songs in the middle of the 20s NY scenario and the extremely computerized buildings and cities didn`t convince me.
  21. Jan 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A long time ago every Saturday afternoon you could see an old movie on Flemish television.John Wayne,Danny Kay,Charlie Chaplin,Spencer Tracy,Mickey Rooney,Clint Eastwood etc. were seen weekly in a black and white or in those faded 60's Technicolor color movie.Regularly they played the old dance movies and musicals with well-known stars such as Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Rita Hayworth , Gene Kelly, Samy Davis Jr.. and many others.All situated in the 20's with men in tuxedos and women who float around in expensive evening gowns and overloaded with glitzy jewelry.A paragon of wealth and decadence which was reserved for some at that time.So I saw a lot of them passing by on the screen while dancing the Foxtrot.My hate and disgust for anything that smells like musical,is grown in that period.I skip each musical or dance film purely for the fact that they always start to sing or spontaneously start dancing for every trivial fact.Pancakes are made and you can expect there is a serenade on this baking process.Or there is some ordinary shopping done in a local supermarket , and before you know it, everyone dances a waltz in between the vegetables.Pfffft,nothing for me.
    TGG itself is not exactly a true musical or dance film, but the decadent parties that Gatsby is organizing are dangerously close to it. I expected every moment an alignment of women dressed in swimsuits, extremely precise in a row, making a jump in sequential order and with deadly precision into Gatsby's enormous garden fountain. And yet I didn't like the choice of music. It didn't really fit the whole of this movie. The beginning of the song by Jay Z (I thought it was him) mixed with images of New York and the display of wealth that some people possess , I found successful. But the music does not fit with the swirling parties afterwards . In some way it clashed with the picture what you got in mind. And personally I thought that the interpretation of "Back and Black" was a blatant violation of the sublime song of Amy Whinehouse despite that Beyonce has a beautiful voice.
    I haven't seen any previous films directed by Baz Luhrmann. I only know Moulin Rouge and i obviously haven't seen that for the well-known reasons that I already described above. It took some effort to get used to that airborne camera images in the beginning, but on the whole, his approach is sometimes grotesque. It looked all magical and fairy-like. Several times it had such an effect that was used in ancient times to emphasize a love scene or some magical moments. Those hazy and shimmering shadows around certain images. It reminded me sometimes of the first "Wizard of Oz" movie. The imposing and monstrous looking mansion of Gatsby looked like it was in a direct competition with the castle you can admire in Disneyland. So exaggerated. So it all looks decent and is terribly perfectly portrayed. The glamour of those days splashes of the screen, but at the same time, it all looks so fake . The computer animation department clearly had to do an extra effort. In terms of costumes for the characters, this film is matchless. Ditto for the props that can be admired throughout the film. From the Oldsmobiles that drive around until the furniture. In one word: masterful .

Tobey Maguire I think is the biggest flaw in this movie. The fact that he's a person who has to get over his alcohol problem and tells his story about Gatsby to a psychiatrist or physician, and at the same time has the appearance of a pubescent student, makes the whole rendition of Carraway totally unbelievable. By the way, I still think that his acting ability is limited to the sometimes silly staring into nothing, with such a moronic smile on his face . DiCaprio also looks too young for his portrayal as Gatsby . In fact you may well expect that he would have a face that shows how difficult his live has been. But I think Leo does an excellent performance as the mysterious and extravagant billionaire . Maybe a bit too melodramatic . And the phrase "Old sport" does not fit completely with him. Besides it really started to get on my nerves after a while hearing him saying that over and over again. A disadvantage is that it takes a while before he comes into the picture and then Maguire needs to carry the complete movie. And that failed miserably . For me, Joel Edgerton , who played Tom Buchanan, was the best actor in this film . The bravado and arrogance that he displayed was beautiful to watch.

I don't think I've ever read Fitzgerald's book.The content is actually a plain simple love story . The run-up to the meeting with Gatsby, I liked the most in this movie when Maguire moves into the small house overshadowed by the immense castle of the mysterious Gatsby. Once this is over,it's really only a dull and ordinary love story and Maguire is relegated to a pathetic spectator of the flirting between Gatsby and Dais.
    Actually I expected more from TGG.It's is a damn long, boring and sad movie.
  22. Jan 14, 2014
    I can't understand why the critics panned this movie. I thought it was one of the most visually brilliant films I have seen. The visual imagery has also been well used to capture the period, the characters, the plot, the emotions and the mood of the movie. Leonardo DiCaprio turns in a fine performance and is well supported by Tobey Maguire. I enjoyed every bit of it.
  23. Jan 10, 2014
    I really didn't know what to expect when I watched this movie, but I can tell you I was at least pleased with the outcome. Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire both did good performances, as well as the rest of the cast. The film provides an interesting look at the height of the "Roaring Twenties". However, it's long running time of nearly 21/2 hours and a near-constant bombardment of visual over-stimulation might make the film somewhat exhausting for some. Every bit as visually dazzling as one might expect with it's production, grand sets, scenery, and detailed costume designs. I personally feel that while this film doesn't necessarily belongs to the category of overblown, over-elaborate movies out there, it could have benefited from having a less dazzling tone. All that aside, the plot was good and I felt sad at the end for Gatsby. Because of the film I decided to read the book, and the movie is a good adaption of the novel.

If you liked this review, please read my other ones on a wide variety of movies, videogames, and TV shows by clicking on my name, and mark this review as helpful.

(P.S, you may have read this review by me under "andrewgarcia732". I cannot enter my old account and have started a new one.)
  24. Jan 3, 2014
    This film is nothing less than a tour de force. Such painstakingly perfect detail in every scene. Even if you haven't read the book, it is a flawless piece of movie-making, so much more than the sum of its individual parts and characters. Who else but Baz Luhrmann could deliver such breath-taking imagery no scene is without impeccable attention to detail. The soundtrack is brilliant and original and highly evocative. This movie gets better and better with every viewing Expand
  25. Jan 2, 2014
    F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby" is undeniably one if the greatest novels in American literature, and one of my personal favourites. I was thrilled to find out that the book was being adapted into big budget movie, and I thought that Casting Leo as Gatsby was brilliant.... I was so disappointed with the film. The acting was spot on, and the cinematography was impressive; however, the directing was horrible. Also, the most iconic moments in the book were cut short and reduced into a music video. What the hell was Baz thinking? I'll rate it a one for Leo and Carey Expand
  26. Jan 2, 2014
    This film is full of brilliant actors, a story told in a very good way. The setting is beautiful. The screen play is amazing. I can watch this film time and time again.
  27. Jan 1, 2014
    It's not the performances that are bad, it's the idea and story itself. It just isn't interesting, it's painfully boring, and Baz Luhrmann made it even worse, because after the first 20 minutes of lights and music, the rest is extremely boring.
  28. Dec 30, 2013
    A great story, with great actors, with a amazing director, with good spécial effects !
    Well why give an 8 then ?
    Cause i realy dont like RNB music in a Film who the action is in 1930 ...
    Except this it's a very good film
  29. Dec 18, 2013
    Beautiful, extravagent, and as over the top as one would expect, Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby does a brilliant job capturing the beauty and wealth possessed by Gatsby. This film is pure eye candy, yet it does have some substance beneath it and I think it did a swell job capturing the essence of the novel and telling the fateful tale of Jay Gatsby. In addition, the acting, led by Tobey Maguire, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Carey Mulligan, was great as well.

Only negatives in this film were the beginning, which was far too hectic and scattered, as well as the soundtrack. While I am a fan of hip hop, it seemed extraordinarily out of place in this film, which is supposed to be set in the 1920's. More period appropriate music should have chosen and ultimately, the soundtrack made it seem almost clumsy. However, the sets were beyond gorgeous and with beautiful shot after shot, this should win best production and best costume design on pure beauty alone. Just wow, the eye candy of each shot admittedly won my heart.
  30. Dec 4, 2013
    Emotional film which has in the great interpretation of Di Caprio (and I say this as someone who usually can hardly appreciate him), and in the wise use of certain phrases/sections of the book, its strength.

Overall, one of the best movies, based on a book, I've ever seen .

That said I understand any negative reviews: the style of Luhrmann is sleek and baroque, almost to touch the
    grotesque... it's a give or take.

But I do not give a 10 because, in the new century, we are still in the hands of producers such as Jay-Z, that put the money and still want to decide on things that are not within their competence, creating disasters... in this case, inserting improbable musical interludes within the film: real advertising, not even disguised.

I also appreciate the film for this reason: the criticism of the wealth as the only foundation of respect for others, every description of corruption decided by money... this point and crowns Jay- Z (real seller of the mass, other than "producer", musical or not).

By now you have no more social distinctions or skin color... we have a man that personifies the power of money, corruption, and fraud to the masses... and has a dark skin... and this means nothing...
  31. Nov 30, 2013
    A letdown to say the least. The first 20 minutes of the film is a rushed mess. The visuals and cinematography, however, are spectacular and keep the film afloat. It's just unfortunate that a movie should have to rely on it.
  32. Nov 29, 2013
    The Great Gatsby is perhaps the greatest American novel ever written. The novel deserves a perfect adaptation that captures its spirit as well as heartrending tragedy. Many have tried, most notably Robert Redford and his golden smile, but all have failed. Now, Baz Luhrmann, director of the critically divided Romeo and Juliet, attempts to tackle one of Hollywood's adaptations. The critics were once again thoroughly divided on his film, most claiming that Leonardo diCaprio made the movie as Gatsby shine but the film lacked the true heart of the book, replacing the important character development with over the top party scenes. The question is: We're the critics right? Or is this the Gatsby movie that Fitzgerald fans have been waiting for?
    The story is told by Nick Carraway, played by Tobey Maguire, who is swept into the world of Gatsby's lavish Long Island parties. He learns that Gatsby, played by Leonardo Dicaprio, has one goal in his life: to reunite with his lost love Daisy Buchanan (Carey Mulligan), who has married to a wealthy billionaire named Tom (Joel Edgerton). The acting in this movie puts all prior iterations to shame. I will be wholeheartedly disappointed if DiCaprio does not take home Oscar gold for his performance as Jay Gatsby. This is the greatest performance of the year in one of the hardest roles to portray, featuring layers upon layers of emotional complexity, doubts, and forlorn love. Yet DiCaprio can do no wrong, flawlessly blending all of Gatsby's traits and mannerisms to create the quintessential Gatsby we all have dreamt for. Carey Mulligan also does extremely well, outshining all other Daisys by giving the lead a distinct personality and making viewers feel legitimately sorry for her, despite her inability to choose Gatsby over Tom. Even Edgerton is great, not acting as an inherently evil Tom, but a wealthy upper class man who can't cope with not getting everything he wants. The only fault in the acting department is Maguire. Although his performance isn't bad, his narrations feel extremely superficial, almost as if he was reading them for the first time instead of taking ownership of his own thoughts. However, DiCaprio's insightful performance, which brought me to tears on multiple occasions, is breathtaking and allows the viewer to truly immerse themselves in the story.
    One major complaint of critics is the fact that the movie focuses more on visual imagery and eye candy than the actual story. For the first twenty minutes, I thought they were right. These opening scenes were extremely rushed, allowing for no character development and annoying me as I tried to piece together what each chopping edited scene was trying to tell me. But everything changed in the scene when Gatsby and Daisy first meet. This scene is so awkward, yet so beautiful. This is quite possibly one of my favorite movie scenes of the past few years, and after it, I disregarded the opening half hour and never looked back. Every interaction, every conversation, every kiss is flawlessly executed. The montage of their tour of Gatsby's mansion, which unfolds along with Lana del Ray's masterpiece "Young and Beautiful", is heartwarming and unforgettable, as you can see the perfect expression of newfound hope in both actors' eyes. From that point on, I enjoyed nearly every second of the movie, especially the tension-filled climax in the Plaza Hotel which also astounded me with its ability to play with my emotions. Even the creative licensing the movie takes is done well. Putting Nick in a mental institution after the events of the novel is an interesting and completely plausible interpretation of the story, which leads to an ending scene that I never would have expected. But it was done so well, now I can't see it being done any other way.
    However, the movie isn't without faults. As said before, the first thirty minutes are a cluttered mess that almost sink the movie before it gets to its shining moments. Along with this, I do see where other critics are coming from when they say the parties are overdone. They undeniably are. Sometimes the movie focuses too much on the special effects and the guests rather than the extraordinary host, which occasionally disappoints. However, when the movie works, it really works.
    The Great Gatsby is not a perfect adaptation of the Great American Novel, and I'm thoroughly convinced that such a thing cannot exist. However, this film is the best one out there and a great movie in general. It may focus on the parties too much and the opening really fails. However, old sport, everything else is just too good to overlook. DiCaprio gives a career-defining performance that, if the Academy has any sense, should net him Oscar gold. Every facet of the film, from the acting to the surprisingly effective soundtrack to the jaw-dropping special effects, works on many levels, and I'd be lying if I said that I was expecting the emotional impact I received. I, like Gatsby, believe in the green light. While this movie can never reach that level of perfection, just like Gatsby can never reach the green light across the sound, it should never die, just like Gatsby's extraordinary gift for hope. The Great Gatsby beats on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Follow me on twitter @cbeers2513
  33. Nov 29, 2013
    A surprising emotional scope blended with good cinematography, a great soundtrack and very stylish direction gives The Great Gatsby a grand overall feel.
  34. Nov 15, 2013
    This is probably the most uninteresting movie. You shouldn't put newer music in a movie that's supposed to take place in 20's, the music threw everything off. Yeah the movie should only be partially like the book but since the book is a really good classic you guys screwed everything up. Leonardo dicaprio is an amazing actor and is good in this movie but the rest of actors is just a no.
  35. Nov 14, 2013
    This is a very mixed movie.

On one hand, the performances are great, with the exception of Tobey Maguire who got tiresome after a while, especially in the narrating scenes. The art direction is fantastic. It really captures the decadence and excess of that decade. The modern music soundtrack is a hit and miss.

On the other hand, the film just felt all over the place. The editing is
    very fast. While that's a good thing in the party scenes (which were my favorite), it wasn't in the intimate ones, where you need to slow down and give room for the characters to breathe in.

There lies the movie's ultimate problem: it successfully portrayed the age in which the story takes in, but not the story and characters themselves.
  36. Nov 3, 2013
    There is little of redeeming value in this flick. It made me nostalgic for the version with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow and the critics weren't very kind to that one either.
  37. Nov 1, 2013
    I thought it was a mediocre movie. I'm not really disappointed but i must say it was not very authentic.
    Music was very very poorly chosen, totally failed for me there. Story was not very twisty nor was there anything really special. Costumes were good. To much PC animation, but i've expected that. Wouldn't buy the DVD/BD watch it for free some day on TV or something.
  38. Oct 27, 2013
    The Great Gatsby Baz Luhrmann (May 2013)
    Lavish and Extravagant! Director Baz Luhrmann’s 2013 adaptation of The Great Gatsby captured the over the top love story perfectly. Without wasting any time on intros or credits, Luhrmann jumps into the story line, which does not stick to the traditional sappy love story of happily ever after.
    The film was set during the Prohibition-era of the
    1920’s, a time where the rich became rich from corruption and greed. The film took place in Long Island between the East Egg and West Egg, through the Valley of Ashes to New York. The narrator, Nick Carraway finds himself caught in the life of money and secrets. Nick is lured into this wasteful life by his mysterious neighbor Gatsby. Jay Gatsby played by Leonardo DiCaprio, recreated himself to be a part of the new money. A man of many Gatsby lived in West egg, where he threw lavish excessive bashes at his extravagant mansion, in order to catch the eye of his lost love Daisy. Daisy who lived right across the bay in East Egg was played Carey Mulligan. I must say Mulligan embodied Daisy to the tee. Her flawless beauty and carelessness provokes faux innocence and yet she was still able to maintain control of her charter.
    I cannot say I enjoyed every charter in this film. Nick Carraway who was played by Tobey Maguire, narrated the film from his asylum. I felt Nick was portrayed as to weak and naive for his new surroundings then he should have been. He became Gatsby’s lapdog and fell into the fabulously wealthy and corrupted lifestyle without any hesitation. Another issue I had throughout the film was we find Gatsby to change as he becomes closer to Daisy. He begins showing weakness and becomes pathetic in is attempt to win her love back. His inability to hold on to control of the situation and his fading façade, ultimately lead to Gatsby’s demise.
    The visuals and soundtrack were charismatic and entrancing. Luhrmann was able to combine a modern feel with the old world style. The sets throughout the film where grand, the homes were lavish and in all had an impressively unreal feel. The West Egg of new money was shiny and glamorous, while across the bay in East Egg the old money was classic and traditional. In between Long Island and New York sat the Valley of Ashes where Lurhmann did a good job at depicting the dirty and grimy side of life. I enjoyed watching the party scenes that took place at the Gatsby mansion. The high energy, bold colors and lively music made you jealous that you were not at that party. Yes, there were a few awkward camera angels which if removed would make the film easier to watch. For example during the party scenes the camera moved from one scene to the next rapidly and at a different angle, making it tough to follow and concentrate on. But overall Luhrmann wanted to capture the dazzle and epic events that took place, which I feel he portrayed nicely.
    The sound track for the film included Jay-Z along with a star studded list of musicians. The music incorporated modern hip-hop with the jazz age trumpet and piano. Many will disagree, but I feel the soundtrack matched the film perfectly. I think the addition of the new aged jazz and hip-hop music added a fresh feeling and keyed in on a modern roaring 20’s. Also it would have left the audience feeling confused if Luhrmann combined this fast paced and glamorous film with old time blues and ragtime music.
    To say the least, the film is horribly underrated because many compare Luhrmann’s adaptation of The Great Gatsby to the 1949 and 1974 versions of the film. Others also crisis Luhrmann’s for straying away from the original plot in the book by F. Scott Fitzgerald. However I feel Luhrmann’s modern twist on the old tale created a film incomparable to the previous versions. Its grandness and over dramatic scene with the combination of outlandish parties, burst violence, and tragic romance made the film thoroughly enjoyable to watch.
    -Jolene
  39. Oct 20, 2013
    la película avanza con paso firme en los primeros veinte minutos pero cuando llega el momento en que uno de verdad se da cuenta cual es la trama central de la pelicula uno como espectador pierde toda esperanza que la pelicula se vuelva mas interesante
  40. Oct 19, 2013
    Within the first ten minutes of this movie you know its a Baz Luhrman film. Baz tries to throw a modern spin on a 1920's flick in which he successfully executes. The characters were all over-acted which seems to be on purpose and, considering the setting, was appropriate. Leonardo was the perfect man to play as Mr. Jay Gatsby and he executed flawlessly as always. The casting for all the other characters were also done extremely well. The movie did not stray from the infamous novel which was appreciated. Expand
  41. Oct 13, 2013
    I really didn't know what to expect when I watched this movie, but I can tell you I was at least pleased with the outcome. Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire both did good performances as well. While the film provides an interesting look at the height of the "Roaring Twenties" and a devastating look into the dark side of the American dream, it's running time of nearly 21/2 hours and a near-constant bombardment of visual over-stimulation might make the film somewhat exhausting for some. Every bit as visually dazzling as one might expect with it's production, grand sets, scenery, and detailed costume designs. I personally feel that while this film doesn't necessarily belongs to the category of overblown, over-elaborate movies out there, it could have benefited from having a less dazzling tone. All that aside, the plot was good and I felt sad at the end for Gatsby. Whether or not the film is a satisfactory adaptation of the novel I can't say because I haven't read the book.

If you liked this review, please read my other ones on a wide variety of movies and TV shows and mark this review as helpful.
  42. Oct 13, 2013
    Easily superior to both the 1974 and 1949 films, a gaudy, fast, noisy, overloaded, gorgeously detailed style matches the novel's smashed up atmosphere of distortion and excess. Convincing performances from the entire cast render characters more lifelike than the novel. While it could be a perfect film, the director created a blemish by making the story Romeo and Juliet, when it is meant as Don Quixote. The almost cubist, many-sided Gatsby is more than a schmoozing opportunist because of his capacity for illusion that's what makes him "great" leaving him more than a little absurd in the emerging modernist world. He can't see that his earnest, midwestern, pioneering spirit now reaches for something fundamentally careless, insincere, and artificial, like Daisy Buchanan; this movie wrongly gives the impression of tragically unconsummated mutual devotion. While the forest is missed for the trees, this is still a very very fun movie, especially the mashed up styles in the soundtrack. Expand
  43. Sep 30, 2013
    Be aware going in that this is a Baz Luhrmann movie so there is an interesting twist on the cinematography and music selections. This is an enjoyable movie with a fairly quick pace Quite enjoyable but not for everyone.
  44. Sep 29, 2013
    I've read the book and absolutely hated this movie. its just some over-polished, badly paced, and poorly acted piece of trash. i couldn't care less about the characters, they all felt so disconnected to the movie, they all felt sooo fake. and what about those party scenes where everybody just spontaneously spazzes out to some "hip tuuunes" that did nothing but SUCK. all this combined spiraled this movie into an unbearable 2h c***fest Expand
  45. Sep 22, 2013
    All I can say is that you should never listen to the critics. They are so full of themselves. The best they can do is take someone's hard work and turn it on its head. Leo nails the plight and desperation of Gatsby with such intensity that you can't help but feel for him. I wished to be there for him and to tell him that everything would be all right. I've not read the book and frankly the plot seems very generic. A man from humble beginnings rises through society for the sake of winning the girl he lost several years ago. Yet the book is hailed as 'The Great American Novel.' I don't know why that is, but the movie only shines because of Leo. That man knows the most intimate secrets of playing a character and bringing it to life. Of course one may argue that there was no electronic music and rap in the 1920s, and yet Moulin Rouge! didn't seem to have historical accuracy going against it when it received critical acclaim, as I don't think Nirvana existed in the nineteenth century. Carey Mulligan also deserves a mention. Expand
  46. Sep 22, 2013
    When I saw this movie, I had no idea what to expect. I mainly wanted to see this because of its ensemble cast, but after watching it, I can safely say it is so far 2013's best film. I found the story of the film to be pretty well written. It's very interesting, and with its fine acting, the film kept me off the edge of my seat, anticipating what will happen next. I have yet to read the book, so I have no idea how much it stays true to the source novel. The cast does a great job as their roles. Leonardo and Toby kill it as their roles, as they are the best actors in the entire film. The rest does great as well, though I think that some actors had potential to do more in the film. My favorite aspect of the movie is the visuals and the music. The film is visually exciting, as there are colors all over the place. this is best evident during the party scenes. The music is very catchy, and I constantly find myself humming along to the tunes this film has to offer. Really my only problem with this film certain scenes. I felt that there were a few scenes that were trying to go for something emotional to happen, but it never really got there, let alone didn't try to. For example, the scene where Tom and Myrtle break up could have gone somewhere in the film, but the characters never speak any dialogue again. Aside from these select scenes, The Great Gatsby is visually charming, well acted, and musically catchy, making up for what I believe is the best film of the year so far. Expand
  47. Sep 15, 2013
    The film is an extended, almost annoying than the boring. Uneventful, low scenario. Anyone who does not wait to see more. I did not like. I do not recommend it!
  48. Sep 11, 2013
    The Great Gatsby is a novel that will forever exemplify the glamour and style that was the roaring twenties. The recent movie portrayed this culture in a way that almost made the viewers nostalgic of the time period. The costume and set design were so over the top with the sparkles and classic flappers dresses the women looked spoiled in glamour; we as 21st century viewers sat in awe and jealousy of what seemed such carefree, lavish, and exciting time. Watching the movie ignorant to the novel allowed for people to view it in awe rather than disappointment.
    From book to box office, The Great Gatsby will never be able to be properly portrayed into a film. The novel requires so much analysis of characters and subtleties, that a film simply can not require that much thought from viewers. Being able to think about what made Gatsby so rich and confident to outsiders, yet so self-conscious and sad in reality is something only readers can understand. Deciding how to feel about how easy going Nick was in dealing with Gatsby’s demands makes the reader second-guess any previous view of Gatsby. Accepting how willing Daisy was to betray her husband is a controversy that must be analyzed to accept. These are all things that a reader can take time to think about rather than the specific time that a movie runs on. The movie does not allow for the appropriate appreciation for the story that is The Great Gatsby.
  49. Aug 31, 2013
    As a reader of the F Scott Fitzgerald novel and watcher of the, Robert Redford, film The Great Gatsby I loved the new film. The New film only reinforced my admiration of this timeless story. Green Light
  50. Aug 31, 2013
    Disgraceful, distasteful and every other adjective that means appalling, and that still wouldn't be enough to describe this movie. Leo was flat out embarrassing. One of the worst movies I've ever seen.
  51. Aug 31, 2013
    This is one of the worst movies ever. The director should be arrested for this absolutely insulting adaption of The Great Gatsby. Never was I more convinced to just get up and leave the theater in the middle of the movie.
  52. Aug 31, 2013
    Unfortunately, reducing one of the great novels to a shiny self-indulgent music video is the least of its problems. The narration was so annoying and never ending and the performances were bizarre. I could care less about the characters because not one of the them actually felt real. It was a very boring movie. There was obviously a great deal of effort put into this movie, but Luhrmann is more interested in what you see and hear rather than what you are supposed to think and feel. Expand
  53. Aug 30, 2013
    I was having trouble rating it 7or8. Because it's one of those movies with an epic story, an amazing cast, magnificent scenes, breathtaking music, but a not so good director...
  54. Aug 30, 2013
    This was a very decent movie. It was very well-made in my opinion. I thought that the first third was the best part, I loved the party scenes, they were so beautifully made.
  55. Aug 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Horrible. Simply awful. How anyone can endure this for more than 5 minutes is beyond me. Rap music in the twenties WTF The characters are all overacted to the point that none of them is the least bit intriguing or interesting. The dialogues are beyond dumb and stupid. There is no chemistry at all between the main character and the writer. Why would Gatsby show him around The writer is the most boring person on the face of the planet. None of the women are pretty or interesting either.
    The question remains: why are these movies made Seems to me that anyone involved in the production was high on cocaine. I have no other explanation for coming up with a script and screenplay like this one...
  56. Aug 25, 2013
    There's never been a film like this!!! A masterpiece!!!! One of the best films ever made, and one of Leo's best pictures!!!! Baz Luhrmann has a gift!!!!
  57. Aug 24, 2013
    The movie's overblown style (CG, 3D, and Jay-Z), chokes the very life out of any substance the story may hold. There's always something to distract the eye, but it becomes increasingly annoying and persistently rings hollow. There is a mystique about F. Scott Fitzgerald’s "The Great Gatsby" that has proved unattainable to filmmakers. Four previous attempts have fallen short of capturing the book's projections of an America succumbing to the allure of money. Chalk this up as the fifth. Expand
  58. Aug 22, 2013
    The acting in 'The Great Gatsby' was incredible, Leonardo DiCaprio throws out of the park with this performance. DiCaprio slips into the role of Gatsby perfectly, he found all of the key qualities of the deep character of Gatsby. Maguire unlike most of his performance is no longer playing Tobey Maguire, he is a great narrator to the story, and I put that down to the direction from Baz Luhrmann.The rest of the cast were sublime the acting quality is incredibly high on this feature. Luhrmann is a great director, however despite his skill his vibrant colors do distract from the actual film, which is a down side, obviously. The writing of the film is good and I personally loved the way the narration is taken straight from the book as we see Maguire writing it.

The film in itself is very good and enjoyable, however the cinematography,editing and colors can be very distracting, because of this I've docked my score of the film
  59. Aug 20, 2013
    I originally thought I wasn't going to enjoy this film because I feared it was going to be all flash with no substance as the special effects and odd choices of music would be the film's dominating elements. While the film has a lot of flash and style, it still contained the heart of the novel and it was incredibly addicting and enthralling. Finally, the performances are amazing with Joel Edgerton really being the spotlight stealer in this one! Expand
  60. Aug 19, 2013
    The movie is clearly overdone on spectacle, but deep within, the emotion and complexity of Fitzgerald's novel comes to life to remind people of a what made this book so important then and now.
  61. Aug 17, 2013
    This is a film that takes a while to get into the story although the visuals are constant like all of Baz Lurhmann's work. I do wish there was more character development and the film was a little shorter, but overall a solid effort. B
  62. Aug 15, 2013
    Its great seeing my favorite literary character brought to the screen by a director I greatly admire, but I can’t say the sum is equal to the e parts. The Great Gatsby was a decent film, there was a lot that I liked and a lot that I just flat out didn’t like; all which stems back to the way it was directed. Like all Baz Luhrmann directed films, Baz Luhrman is the star of the show. His whimsical, almost animated, way of telling a story shines bright in this picture; from those wild camera angles, startling soundtrack, hasty editing, and flamboyant set designs and not to mention the eccentric performances he extracts from his cast. While much of his flare worked well for those party sequences, I felt the film itself was far too off-the-wall for its own good. I am hardly convinced that this was the direction he should have taken, but at no point in time did it leave me bored. Do not fret too much, the visuals did not get in the way of the romantic aspects of the story; as it was delivered to the screen in a respectable manner. What I was really bothered by was the way some of the intricacies of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s exquisite story were taken away, in favor of style and visual intricacies. I believe this hindered the dark social commentary on the wealthy and the nature their moral detachment; which was quite disappointing. But, what can I say… such style! Catherine Martin’s fantastic costumes and sets were characters of their own. Clearly my view on the film and the way it was made is very much mixed; but one thing I appreciated without a doubt was Leonardo DiCaprio’s performance as Gatsby. Gatsby’s bold attempt to reach for that green light and regain his love, Daisy, is noble yet foolish. However, you can’t help but relate to this character, as it’s sometimes easier to hold on to hope than to let go completely. While not perfect, DiCaprio made a fine Gatsby in my opinion. Expand
  63. Aug 13, 2013
    Exciting and thought-provoking. A talented cast, along with stunning visuals think Moulin Rouge capture the imagination and curiosity of its viewers. It kept me well at the edge of my seat, guessing and second guessing the characters involved. As the story unfolds, "ooo"s and "ahh"s are likely to escape your lips as it did mine.
  64. Aug 13, 2013
    the great gatsby was a excellent and great movie
    this is the best adaptation of fitzgerald's novel
    all the cast was excellent especially leonardo dicaprio and tobey maguire
  65. Aug 12, 2013
    Horrible. The green-screen was overused and the story was reduced to cheap soap-opera with awful music. The acting is okay, but the characters are suffering from the writing too. Every character seems overacted and just like the whole movie 'artificial'. Not worth watching...
  66. Jul 27, 2013
    Is it just me or was this the most boring Leo movie ever! No intense moments whatsoever. I really have nothing else to add except that it was way too long and I almost fell asleep in the movie theatre. And 3D is not worth it if there is just going to be 3d snow an rain.
  67. Jul 21, 2013
    Some books should not be made into films. I have always believed The Great Gatsby is one of them. But, this film does a good job making a modern day adaptation of it. If you know the book, you have to stretch your mind a bit to envision the characters. I thought Leo as Gatsby was a good casting move as he is solid. And although I am not a fan of Tobey he does a good job as Carraway as well. But, if you like the movie, read the book. Expand
  68. Jul 14, 2013
    The Great Gatsby is romantic comedy drama taking place in 1920's New York during prohibition. Following footpaths of Moulin Rouge, it is stacked with big-name actors, hip music and capturing visuals. If leaving out vibrant party scenes, cool soundtrack and sure-fire casting there is really much to The Great Gatsby.
  69. Jul 9, 2013
    Luhrmann has been one of my favourite directors solely relying on his mastery with "Moulin Rouge". I enjoyed "Romeo+Juliet" also, but nowhere near as much as MR, and then Australia was kind of a let down. His visual style, however, has always been consistently amazing and his films are a true feast for the eyes.

"The Great Gatsby" continues this trend, and possibly pushes it further.
    With Luhrmann's trademark great and innovative cinematography, editing, costume design and art direction, Gatsby is technically top-notch. The impressive line up for the soundtrack also adds layers and layers to the film, in a choice similar to "Moulin Rouge's" soundtrack back in 2001. While some have complained about the over-stimulus visually and the over-the-top costumes and parties depiction in the film, I felt as if it was quite appropriate. It truly showed the lavishness and shallowness of those events, costumes and places, while at the same time allowing for the audience to see the emptiness of Gatsby's life.

My only concern was the length of the film, but it is manageable. Almost as long as "Australia" was, it still managed to feel reasonably lengthy, instead of being a drag.
    Overall, "Gatsby" is a well-executed film with lavish sets, amazing costumes, beautiful soundtrack and all other technical aspects. Acting is rather good, too, with DiCaprio having a standout performance, while Mulligan and Maguire are rather sidelined in their conventional acting and do not quite push the envelope far enough. Nonetheless, it is a good film and I'd recommend watching it!
  70. Jul 6, 2013
    Soul-less, overly extravagant, and adorned with nauseating rap music, this relatively poor interpretation of an all-time favourite American classic succeeds in disappointing any hopeful viewer.
  71. Jul 6, 2013
    One of the best movies I've seen this year. I f**king hate Toby Maguire but he didn't bother me in this. Leonardo Decaprio delivered another stellar performance, but this won't be the vehicle that gets him his oscar, which is disappointing, but he's still got a chance with The Wolf of Wall Street. 9.4/10
  72. Jul 4, 2013
    You must have read the book to enjoy this movie to its fullest. The visuals in this movie perfectly captures the emotion and complexity of the Fitzgerald's novel. Leonardo DiCaprio is Gatsby. He captures the aura and personality of Gatsby, but still expresses his characters emptiness. The whole cast complements Leo's acting. Baz topped his Romeo Juliet reinvention and has broken another cinema literature barrier. Expand
  73. Jun 30, 2013
    Great film, everything about the movie was fascinating.. I was kept on edge until the ending which was a complete shock to me, I keep replaying scenes of the movie in my imagination, it's a very impressive film that was very compelling. I don't think my words are enough to express how great this film is, go watch it and experience the enjoyment for yourself. I am slightly upset by the number of people that didn't like this film, to say this film doesn't meet your standards is a joke. Expand
  74. Jun 28, 2013
    Very underrated movie that had me gripped the whole time. Was it bizarre and over the top? Absolutely, but it wouldn't be a Baz Luhrman movie if it wasn't. My advice is to sit back, don't ask questions and be marveled by the this spectacle of a movie.
  75. Jun 27, 2013
    The film swaps the tender poetry of the book for snappy, breezy gloss, and is further tarnishes the classic with the cartoony CGI settings.
    And Baz's casting of Daisy, Gatsby's obsession: Not so Great.
  76. Jun 27, 2013
    After seeing this movie a second time, I began to like it even more, ultimately going back a total of 4 times. In my first viewing, I unfairly underrated this movie and wish to make amends to its creator. This movie is gorgeous. Acting of the 3 leading men is impeccable. DiCaprio brings to life a more deluded version of Gatsby than prior versions. His depiction felt off at first viewing, but after seeing the movie again it felt perfect. My apologies Baz Lurhmann. I think this movie should get all the academy awards except for the actress categories. Expand
  77. Jun 26, 2013
    Baz Luhrmann turns everything he touches into Las Vegas. Fitzgerald's curtains billowing in the breeze become Salome's seven veils; Gatsby's expensive shirts are flung about like confetti. DiCaprio alone emerges with honor. Some of the supporting players seem to have come from The Addams family (Jordan Baker) or Bollywood (Meyer Wolfsheim). There's a difference between expansive and crass--it's not heeded here. Rock bottom. Expand
  78. Jun 25, 2013
    Here's my review: i am not going to see this even if it comes out on a $2 DVD sale at BigW. It reminds me of the movie Australia, overlong, boring and self indulgent, it assumes its own importance will draw me in. I haven't seen Australia either.
  79. Jun 22, 2013
    Visually stunning, great pace and dramatization. IMO really gets to the core issues Fitzgerald had in mind. Makes you think about your own goals in life and what happiness really is.
  80. Jun 21, 2013
    Though the movie capture the extravagant parties and the fast-paced lifestyle of the Roaring Twenties, it ultimately falters when trying to touch on the book's symbolism. The conflict when it arrived felt rushed, and the resolution even sloppier. Some scenes excel in portraying the love and obsession Gatsby had, but when the movie ended, there was a feeling that there should've been more. The casting of Tobey Maguire as Nick Carraway, the unreliable, sometimes sarcastic narrator, did not help the movie's cause either. Although this is the best book adaptation, there is still much sought after. Expand
  81. Jun 16, 2013
    This is a tricky one to review as I did enjoy it but it was a rather odd film. Very good acting, especially from the leads, but as great as Leo DiCaprio was I couldn't help but get annoyed by his character and of that term 'Old Sport'. The party scenes looked amazing and where a clear highlight of the film. It got a little mellow and slower towards the middle before picking up more towards the end, but overall an entertaining film that should please many, but it had potential to be a bit better! Expand
  82. Jun 16, 2013
    This movie completely captures the flavor of Fitzgerald's words with the images of Baz Luhrmann. I did not expect it to be REAL. I expected it to be romantic and impressionistic and it was. Strong performance by Leonard Dicaprio. His acting and the extravagance of the sets were well worth the price of admission to me.
  83. Jun 12, 2013
    Just like the book, the movie is slow in the beginning. However, it gradually picks up its pace and moves forward. I don't think this is how I imagined the book when I read it. I really do think Toby Maguire is miscast. Also, the movie just didn't feel like the book (I don't know how to say this). Overall, it was an okay movie.
  84. Jun 11, 2013
    Great soundtrack, insane visuals, intense performances, and some good humor to boot. A sick adaptation of Gatsby. It far exceeded my expectations. The critics must be seeing a completely different film than me.
  85. Jun 11, 2013
    Far too much style over too little substance, The Great Gatsby is a muddled mess of a film. Characters dont engage and the tone of the film never settles. Despite being set in 1920s, it never tries to be a period piece which surely defeats the purpose? Some people may like it but you could have easily set the film in the modern age (which would play well against the current financal backdrop) but with the style of the 20s.

I'll put the above down to my personal preference, but that doesnt excuse some of the other problems with the film. The acting is flat as hell with Dicaprio being the only one to emerge with any kind of display. Tobey McGuire is simply terrible, never getting across he's characters own descent. He is simply there to narrate. Mullegan has her moments but I dont find her a good fit for the role. As for the rest, I get the feeling they've been instructed to over act. Or at least I hope they have.

For a film which is so much in love with its own cleverness and style, its amazing how dull this really is. Over long and over produced, its certainly not a film I could recommend.
  86. Jun 10, 2013
    I went into this movie having not-so high hopes for this movie. I heard from my friends that the people were casted incorrectly and that the story-line was OK and Leonardo DiCaprio was the only good thing in the movie. I was thoroughly surprised at what I saw. I never read the book so I am not basing it off of that. I think that Toby McGuire did an excellent job at playing the role of Nick Carroway. Leo did an extraordinary job at playing Jay Gatsby. I enjoyed the movie and enjoyed the story-line. I tip my hat to you Baz for having a cool name and directing the movie very well. I enjoyed the dubstep sequences though most people didn't like that. i thought it brought a different feel to the film. A good film. I have to say at some parts it was alright and others it was great. It was pretty good, but not extraordinary. This is why I give it an 8/10. Expand
  87. Jun 10, 2013
    This movie is a HUGE surprise walking in I thought this movie would be boring, but I got a really interesting movie with likable characters and stunning visuals Some over acting in some parts and the soundtrack of the movie could turn you off but if you stuck around Django Unchained you could handle this
  88. Jun 9, 2013
    Despite a brilliantly vibrant cast, The Great Gatsby is merely an intoxicated image of 1920's extravagance and a poor interpretation of the classic we know and love.
  89. Jun 7, 2013
    Like almost every American who has been through high school I read The Great Gatsby and like most high schoolers likely didn't appreciate the novel that first time around. Though the more accurate word is probably that I didn't comprehend all of what it was trying to say I still have yet to re-visit the novel since my sophomore year, but as I sat down to experience the latest film adaptation of the novel by the often flamboyant and always stylish director Baz Luhrman the parts of the story that I vaguely recalled seemed to escape me completely and I was then able to completely embrace the extravagant world in which Luhrman and his team had created for the audience to dig into and become all the better acquainted with the specific time period, the social climate, and the characters that it is necessary to care about before we become entranced with their melodramatic lives. It is to be understood that through the glitz and the glamour of the roaring twenties that this is essentially what F. Scott Fitzgerald's great American novel was if not a high form of it wrapped in commentary for the societal issues of the changing culture during that time. Though it would be easy to dismiss the film as a case of style over substance I was completely on board from the very beginning as the caliber of the cast here was able to elevate what might have been an otherwise overlooked aspect of the production. The depth each actor brings to his or her character lend an emphasis to the themes Fitzgerald touched upon and they are only embellished by Luhrman's preference to have everything as big and excessive as possible. It is a film that entices by the fantasy of the world it exists in and it holds our attention by being consistently stylish and letting it's cast bring their A-game that in turn creates a combination that captures the essence of everything I expected and wanted this film to be.

read the whole review at www.reviewsfromabed.com
  90. Jun 6, 2013
    what a great disappointment this movie was. a totally unrealistic and poorly directed movie i am a die hard Leonardo fan but this was the worst movie i have seen him in. my wife and i have watched nearly ten thousand movies together over the years. we have only ever walked out of three movies. the great Gatsby was the third.

the camera shot changes were so fast they hurt the eyes
    and the whole movie was a cross between a poor melodrama and a and a badly produced farce. after enduring one hour and ten minutes of over stimulation and a care less attitude from the actors, we decided to leave.

for a movie that promised so much, it delievered very little. even the great Leonardo DiCaprio seemed disinterested in his part. he particularly appeared reluctant to deliever his lines when the included the words old sport.
  91. Jun 6, 2013
    I went into this movie thinking it would be alright because im not a fan of baz's but i had read the book so i saw it because i read the novel. this movie blew me away, the acting was excellent and perfectly picked for each part, the story great if you are into that kind of story like a romantic very dramatic one with little action but thats okay i felt like the modern music and style was a great addition to add to the movie. now comparison between the novel and the movie are just alike but with few changes to make it into a better movie based off the novel. the cinematography in the movie was great i loved the color or filter that baz's brought into this dark world it looked great and the 3d was ok but nothing exceptional. overall this was a very good movie that many people should see but dont expect a lot of action. Expand
  92. Jun 5, 2013
    This interpretation of the great Gatsby is neither great nor good. This is a bust, add this to the recent list of DiCaprio flops. the rap music and dizzying camera work made me sick. the great f. Scot Fitzgerald nevel is turned in to garbage. The only saving grace is Toby Maguire's supporting performance. Pleas, read the book, forget the movie.
  93. Jun 5, 2013
    This movie is certainly fantastical, but there are a few things that throw it off course. First, I loved the way Baz Luhrmann portrayed the twenties, but I wanted the generational music to go with it. Who cares if it's Jay-Z? (Everybody). I wanted some jazz to finalize the theatricality of the cinematography! Also, this is Luhrmann's attempt at getting some oscar recognition, which he won't get. The film simply doesn't hold together like an oscar contender. Having said that, the movie is worth checking out. #seeit Expand
  94. Jun 5, 2013
    Ive never read the book so i dont know how well it does to compare, however, i thought this movie had a real sense of life to it. it was captivating and i have no idea why the movie got such a low score from critics.
  95. Jun 5, 2013
    Baz Luhrmann's films each have a distinct visual and aural quality to them. We are witness to vibrant colours, sweeping camera movements, sudden zooming in, and mystery which is supporting by a suitable soundtrack. These features translate well into the 1920's setting to transport the viewer into a bygone era. However despite all these positives even they cannot make a really long, slow and dull story any more watchable.

You may argue with me that I don't understand the story. I admit I haven't read the book and went into this completely unaware of what will occur; from what I've read this film is the closest to translate the book into a film correctly. That being said my impression of the metaphors and underlying meanings is a satire of the 1920's; i.e. too much drinking and partying, people talk rubbish, the wealthy have more money than sense, you can't recapture the past, parties are a ruse, and not a lot of meaningful activities occurred (this is what I left the cinema thinking about). That being said I didn't enjoy the story or the characters and was never convinced really liked, cared for or loved each other (which I understood as an intention of the author). Therefore if I understand the story correct then this is one of the most overrated stories (and novels) I’ve ever encountered. Why is it so memorable?

Praise must be given to the use of modern music instead of jazz as it is a clever juxtaposition. Most of us don't enjoy jazz music like those in the film do; we enjoy modern music mostly and its use bridges the gap between us. Therefore we understand how they feel and the parties which ensue.
    All actors involved were convincing in their roles but no-one here stood out. One thing I did notice was Nick Carraway mentioned several times that Gatsby was the most hopeful person he’d met. We never really saw his hope because he was both cool and calm, scared, worried or lashing out. This is either a failure of the script or a translation of the author’s intentions.

I applaud those involved for at least making this film watchable for the visual and aural aspects. This almost makes up for a long, slow and dull story.
  96. Jun 4, 2013
    Before I saw this movie, I had heard it was just mediocre. But who ever thinks that is dead wrong. This is well above mediocre. It's fresh, interesting, entertaining, well directed, well acted, and it's got style. One of the biggest complaints from critics was the Jay Z rap. The Jay Z rap turned out to be awesome and it goes well with the movie. Leonardo DiCaprio is perfect as J. Gatsby but everyone in this movie had a great performance. Expand
  97. Jun 4, 2013
    "The Great Gatsby was not as "great" as it should have been, but features some of the most dazzling visuals, outstanding soundtrack and just breathtaking performances across the board. Baz Luhrman has given the classic novel the film adaptation it deserves" B+
  98. Jun 3, 2013
    A film with some great set pieces; I found the party scenes particularly spectacular. It’s beautifully shot and I’m quite glad I saw it in 2D as I couldn’t see how 3D would have enhanced it much. I found the music interesting with the big set pieces being handed over to rapper Jay-Z (also an Executive Producer), but it was the original music by Craig Armstrong that I found most enthralling. There are several well known themes subtly placed in the soundtrack and I found both refreshing and interesting. All the performances were great with DiCaprio and Mulligan getting top billing; but I thought Tobey Maguire was equally good. I guess I’ll have to read the book to be able to decide just how good an adaptation this is; but for now I found it quite a satisfying watch with plenty of drama to keep me entertained. If I was to be super critical I would have to say I found the character of Gatsby a little one-dimensional, but having said that it’s still well worth a look if you get the chance.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 7.5/10
  99. Jun 3, 2013
    I both like and hate The Great Gatsby. How? Why let me explain! The first half of the film basically relies on too much of modern rap music, annoying close ups and bizarre sequences that feel like the film itself is on acid. Not only are those a problem, but also the film begins to fall into campy territories with unintentionally funny moments and over-the-top acting. But later on in the film, the flaws of the first half begin to fade (though they reappear sometimes) and the film starts to feel more like a 1920s drama film rather than an over-the-top bizarre stage play music video. The film, to be honest, didn't need to be as visually impressive as it is and the 3D, though good at times, didn't need to be present. Besides a pretty robotic performance from Carey Mulligan, the acting was often solid, though every actor and actress had their fair-share of over-the-top and campy moments. In the conclusion, The Great Gatsby is a visually dazzling and a decent movie, though self-indulgent and not at all great. Expand
  100. Jun 2, 2013
    The Great Gatsby: Maybe it’s like caviar, an acquired taste that I have yet to acquire, but I didn’t care for “Gatsby.” I didn’t like the book in high school or college, I didn’t care for the re-read last month, and I didn’t much care for the movie. Daisy Buchannan was nicely cast (cute but perfectly shallow) but everyone else was a cardboard cutout, and the movie was overwrought: “Gatsby” didn’t need truckloads of CGI, and loading it up as they did made it seem like a comic book. It was pretty to look at but, seriously, when they stopped at Wilson’s Texaco station I was waiting for Batman to slowly settle in the background. There were some highlights though: Daisy and Nick dancing to the heavy downbeat of the Wurlitzer and the image collage of Gatsby and Daisy together, shot in sepia, like framed portraits from the 1920s. Other than that, fodder for the 3D generation. Two and a half stars from this old codger. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 11, 2013
    Even when the movie's not working, its style fascinates. That "not working" part is a deal breaker, though — and it has little to do with Luhrmann's stylistic gambits, and everything to do with his inability to reconcile them with an urge to play things straight.
  2. Reviewed by: Dave Calhoun
    May 27, 2013
    What Luhrmann makes intoxicating is a sense of place – the houses, the rooms, the city, the roads – and the sense that all this is unfolding in a bubble like some mad fable. Where he falters is in persuading us that these are real, breathing folk whose experiences and destinies can move us.
  3. Reviewed by: Jane Crowther
    May 20, 2013
    Gatsby fans will be unoffended yet untransported, but soundtracks will sell, DiCaprio will be on bedroom walls again and new readers may discover the book - which is no bad thing.