8.3

1. Nov 26, 2011
    It makes me angry to see many low scores from critics, this is probably one of the best and most emotional movies I have ever watched.
  2. Aug 17, 2011
    I watched this for the third time yesterday, the thing that one critic pointed out is that this film has something extremely rare: soul. This is the most emotional movie I have ever seen, it's not just a drama movie with plot twists and unexpected tragedies; it has extremely lovable and disliked characters. Characters that we connect with, and when anything happens to them in the movie weI watched this for the third time yesterday, the thing that one critic pointed out is that this film has something extremely rare: soul. This is the most emotional movie I have ever seen, it's not just a drama movie with plot twists and unexpected tragedies; it has extremely lovable and disliked characters. Characters that we connect with, and when anything happens to them in the movie we feel like crying our guts out. It's also bound to make you take a different look on the use of the electric chair, and there are many other underlying themes and subjects with this movie. This film is a 3 hour experience that will change your mental attitude completely, highly recommended movie. 5/5 stars Expand
  3. ChristinaM.
    Feb 28, 2005
    One of the greatest movies I have ever seen.... Just brilliant.
  4. doesn'tmatter
    Apr 28, 2005
    You know what erwin k, you don't know what a movie is so just shut up and just go and cry about your life that is going on and on and on and on !!!
  5. someonew
    Apr 5, 2009
    I am starting to lose the faith in metacritic's rating... this movie was one of the best I have seen since ages, and 3 hrs isnt that long for it.
  6. Aug 21, 2014
    This one is truly great. It may be a tad over three hours, but it feels significantly shorter. Plus, the added time allows us to spend more time with the characters, which is something I will never argue as a negative for this one. Tom Hanks, David Morse, Michael Clarke Duncan, Doug Hutchison, Barry Pepper, Sam Rockwell, Michael Jeter, and James Cromwell, make up one hell of an ensembleThis one is truly great. It may be a tad over three hours, but it feels significantly shorter. Plus, the added time allows us to spend more time with the characters, which is something I will never argue as a negative for this one. Tom Hanks, David Morse, Michael Clarke Duncan, Doug Hutchison, Barry Pepper, Sam Rockwell, Michael Jeter, and James Cromwell, make up one hell of an ensemble cast for this one and all truly knock their roles out of the park. I am typically not a huge fan of prison dramas, but the heart and compassion you feel for everyone involved in amazing and truly draws you in. The more fantastical elements are also very interesting and set against the backdrop of a very realistic situation are all the more odd, but I think they are handled very well. As a whole, this one is very intriguing, touching, and unique, which elevate it above many prison dramas. Add in the great acting and you truly have something special with The Green Mile. Expand
  7. Nov 28, 2012
    A true cinematic achievement from start to finish. "The Green Mile" is equally beautiful, horrific, heartbreaking and satisfying all throughout, with perfect performances and an unfathomably beautiful score.
  8. Aug 12, 2013
    Critics gave this movie red or yellow rank must be clinically insane for sure. This is one of the best movies I ever saw, one of the best melodrama movie. You know, I'm not young man, I dont cry when I get kicked, when I feel pain, but this movie made me cry. Not just a single tear, but I cried like a river. Just watch this, you will never forget The Green Mile.
  9. Aug 11, 2013
    Energetic, deep, and sad. I've never burst into tears watching any movies. It makes me upset to see bad mediocre reviews from critics. I loved this movie. It was worth the 3-hour sit through.
  10. Nov 15, 2013
    It's incredible seeing so many low scores from critics for probably one of the three best movies ever. Its intensity and brilliance is something just amazing. There are no movies of this level nowadays. Three hours of emotions
  11. Jul 3, 2014
    Seriously? Metascore of this movie is 61!!!What a disaster. Then what are these so called critics expect from a movie.It's interesting,thrilling,emotional ,well directed movie with an amazing story and screen play .
    Actors are really mind blowing.Story and screen play as what i expected from the great 'King'.The Drabaont-king gang have presented us one another gem not lesser than that of 'The Shawshank Redemption'
    got more than i wanted.
    the critics who gave thus a movie a low rating ,at the same time garnishes the 'waste of time movies' like syriana,up in the air,michael clayton with scores more than 75 .Fools.
  12. theresam
    May 2, 2009
    Thought-provoking and emotional dynamite!
  13. StanB.
    Aug 21, 2007
    Best adaptation of a Stephen King novel.
  14. Jan 13, 2011
    Tom Hanks and Michael Clark Duncan are amazing. The script is creative and often powerful. Running at just over 3 hours long I felt there were a few scenes that could have easily been cut to aid in pacing. Overall a very good movie
  15. SebastianB.
    Aug 30, 2002
    Excellent movie, horror mixed with emotion, and great cast. It was one of best movies i have ever seen.
  16. NickA.
    Sep 8, 2006
    It takes something exceptional to come close to Frank Darabonts Shawshank Redemption but the director manages to bring another multilayered tale to life. We cross themes of spirituality, humanity, good versus evil and also some fantasy which all work brilliantly together to bring a deeply moving film with excellent performances from the entire cast. Some have complained that the movie is It takes something exceptional to come close to Frank Darabonts Shawshank Redemption but the director manages to bring another multilayered tale to life. We cross themes of spirituality, humanity, good versus evil and also some fantasy which all work brilliantly together to bring a deeply moving film with excellent performances from the entire cast. Some have complained that the movie is far too long but for me the time flew because every scene is worthwhile, the film draws you in from the outset and doesn't let go with little sub themes and a rich multi-layered story that is rich and beautiful but also terribly sad at times. If you don't like this film then in my view you don't know what being human is all about. An astonishing beautiful film that will stay with you for a long time. Expand
  17. TonyB.
    Apr 17, 2008
    Succeeds on all levels...give in to it.
  18. HariatS.
    Feb 5, 2001
    If a movie could win every possible award on this earth, it has to be The Green Mile, without any doubt.
  19. JosieP.
    Apr 3, 2001
    This movie is SO good, but why did they have to spoil it with that lousy frame?? This could have been the best movie of the year if they had lost the first and last scenes. It worked for "Private Ryan" and "Stratocaster," but not for this.
  20. MicheleH.
    Jan 4, 2004
    This is one of the best movies ever produced. I cried through the whole second half...brilliantly emotional. I don't know where the critics' ignorance stems from...wait, they're professional critics, that's right.
  21. RodG.
    Feb 21, 2007
    Once again the users got it right.
  22. E.R.
    Aug 24, 2007
    Touching.
  23. ChrisG.
    Apr 22, 2002
    I thought that this movie was one of the best i have ever seen. It touched me.
  24. Marc-o
    Oct 23, 2003
    As usual there are critics of all films but how they can say a bad word against this is more of a mystery than why it didn't win every possible oscar especially best picture!!
  25. BenW.
    Sep 6, 2003
    It's one of the best movies ever made, because it's thoughtful, smart, a little scary and emotionally through the roof. It's the only movie I've ever seen that has had the power to make me cry. I love Stephen King, with a few exceptions (It, Christine), but his believable dramas always end up being classics in my mind.
  26. Joek.
    Jan 3, 2007
    Sweet moving video. Ban execution!!!!
  27. BrunoG.
    Oct 24, 2008
    I really think this movie deserves a perfect score. The first time i saw it i was forced to lock myself in the bathroom to cry like i baby. It's very touching indeed, and the acting of John it's wonderful.
  28. JayH
    Oct 5, 2008
    The reviews for this remind me once again that most film critics are overpaid, self important idiots. This was one of the best films ive ever seen.
  29. Barry
    Feb 10, 2008
    Touching film. This has got to be the film that had the biggest emotional impact on me out of them all. It's sad, witty and the acting is fantastic. It deserves more than the average it has here. I adore it!
  30. GaryA.
    Mar 2, 2008
    Those so called movie reviewers who slated this movie are not representative of the ordinary guy on the street who enjoyed the film. As shown by the average score of 9.
  31. JonathanD.
    Aug 22, 2002
    Excellent film with great acting, great plot, and awesome concept. The ending is unbelievable. No one can say they are a true movie fanatic til they've seen The Green Mile. The best movie ever made.
    Mar 23, 2008
    Okay, I do not have any interest in Stephen King. I think most of his stuff because they're so stupid. All they are filled with are stuff like killer clowns and mist that make people go ape-sh*t on each other. But I made an exception for this movie. It didn't seem like it would be scary. It's just a prison story. And fortunately, this is exactly what I wanted. It was Okay, I do not have any interest in Stephen King. I think most of his stuff because they're so stupid. All they are filled with are stuff like killer clowns and mist that make people go ape-sh*t on each other. But I made an exception for this movie. It didn't seem like it would be scary. It's just a prison story. And fortunately, this is exactly what I wanted. It was everything you want a great movie to be. Great cast and acting, powerful scenes, emotion, and Tom Hanks. This is #8 on my top ten list, under The Last Samurai and Star Wars. I give it 10/10 Expand
  33. JamesM
    Dec 11, 2005
    Anyone who says this movie is slow needs to go back to their Arnold Schwarzeneggar and Jerry Bruckheimer moves. This is an engrossing and beautifully told masterpiece, if somewhat disturbing at times.
  34. Aug 23, 2010
    Man in retirement home sees Fred Astaire in a film, has flashbacks back to 1935 when he was a prison warden.
    Fantastic film with great acting & a good adaptation of the Stephen King novel.
    Sam Rockwell is amazing as the very unhinged Billy the Kid & despite it's three hour length doesn't seem as long. Tom Hanks does tend to play himself & I still think Bachelor Party is his best film but
    Fantastic film with great acting & a good adaptation of the Stephen King novel.
    Tom Hanks does tend to play himself & I still think Bachelor Party is his best film but with this & Catch Me If You Can being not far behind.
  35. May 18, 2014
    Despite the film being 3 hours long, it's definitely worth watching. It's really interesting, and I recommend not looking into this film at all as its better that way. The soundtrack for this is brilliant as it's by Thomas Newman which got me to watch this film in the first place. The film is like an adventure, its sad, it's very dark, its a mix of a bunch of things which is what makes itDespite the film being 3 hours long, it's definitely worth watching. It's really interesting, and I recommend not looking into this film at all as its better that way. The soundtrack for this is brilliant as it's by Thomas Newman which got me to watch this film in the first place. The film is like an adventure, its sad, it's very dark, its a mix of a bunch of things which is what makes it great as well. Not to mention that all of the actors for this film were perfect for their roles as well. Expand
  36. Oct 21, 2012
    Very well made with a beautifully understated musical score by Thomas Newman, it underpins the action perfectly and works very well. All the performances were great; particularly Michael Clarke Duncan who fully deserved his 2000 Oscar nomination for his portrayal of John Coffey. As usual, Tom Hanks puts in a flawless performance as Paul Edgecomb (the younger version of course). The filmVery well made with a beautifully understated musical score by Thomas Newman, it underpins the action perfectly and works very well. All the performances were great; particularly Michael Clarke Duncan who fully deserved his 2000 Oscar nomination for his portrayal of John Coffey. As usual, Tom Hanks puts in a flawless performance as Paul Edgecomb (the younger version of course). The film has quite a slow pace that allows the audience to become familiar with the characters and the comings and goings on Expand
  37. Mar 15, 2011
    brilliant movie. but sad thing is, the kind of thing that happened in this movie still goes on in this world we live in. terrible to think about. like Barry said, probably the movie that had the biggest emotional impact on me out of any movie ive ever watched in my life. i just wish i knew the criteria these "critics" use to review movies.
  38. May 24, 2013
    As with the fantastic Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile is based on a Stephen King story and directed by Frank Darabont and I can give no higher praise than to say it is just as good.

The film centres on a stretch of death row known as The Green Mile in which a giant of a man known as John Coffey, accused of murdering two young girls, has been imprisoned. King is widely known for his horror books but, while there are supernatural elements to this story, as with The Shawshank Redemption this film is all about relationships between people in difficult circumstances.

The Green Mile may be three hours long but every minute of that is used to develop the characters and story so that by the end we really do care what happens to them. Those that dismiss Kings work as chart filler may be pleasantly surprised by what they find in this movie.
  39. Jan 4, 2015
    I cannot name a film that better imagines the harsh realities of life and the disturbingly twisted events that follow. 'The Green Mile' certainly makes me walk to the nearest store to pick up some more tissues, as its three-hour length is ultimately justified and proves to be very effective. You do not need to be knowledgeable on Stephen King's novel from which this film is adapted, as theI cannot name a film that better imagines the harsh realities of life and the disturbingly twisted events that follow. 'The Green Mile' certainly makes me walk to the nearest store to pick up some more tissues, as its three-hour length is ultimately justified and proves to be very effective. You do not need to be knowledgeable on Stephen King's novel from which this film is adapted, as the journey we follow with these characters is cruelly realistic, for the most part. Expand
  40. Sep 27, 2012
    This is one of those films that everybody has got to watch at some point in their life. It really is a stunning film, there's very little else I can say about it. But beware, you will weep like a child.
  41. Sep 21, 2013
    A emotionally powerful, miraculously acted, exceptionally written, and unique drama. The direction is incredible. Darabont gives the film a vivid sense of place. You are completely absorbed when watching the Green Mile. All the actors rise to an incredible level of convincingness, and the prison feels like an actual place. The supernatural scenes also pack a punch, and some otherA emotionally powerful, miraculously acted, exceptionally written, and unique drama. The direction is incredible. Darabont gives the film a vivid sense of place. You are completely absorbed when watching the Green Mile. All the actors rise to an incredible level of convincingness, and the prison feels like an actual place. The supernatural scenes also pack a punch, and some other scenes could make a robot cry. It is pretty long, and not for people with a low tolerance for graphic violence, but it's without a doubt a great movie. Expand
  42. Jul 12, 2014
    An amazing movie by Stephen King! I highly recommend it to almost everyone (don't watch it if you're getting bored too easy, because this movie is 3 hours long). 8.5/10 but i'll give a 9/10 because of the ending!
  43. Sep 1, 2013
    It may not be as good as "Shawshank Redemption" but it's still one moving film. Michael Clarke Duncan gives a powerful performance as John Coffey. Along with a great cast and story, it's a powerfully entertaining drama. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies.
  44. Aug 31, 2013
    Awesome!!! One of the best pictures ever made. Based on a Stephen King's unputdownable novel!!! Well-acted!!! Brilliant, brilliant and brilliant!!! Watch it!!
  45. Jan 29, 2014
    The Green Mile is a milestone for Darabont. Of course the high-brow critics will think this an overly long snore-fest, but the real movie watchers will realize its accurate portrayal of the passage of time and what it feels like for a death row inmate. Described as his favorite movie he's made, it combines the magic of a Disney film with more adult themes and a soaring story that moves youThe Green Mile is a milestone for Darabont. Of course the high-brow critics will think this an overly long snore-fest, but the real movie watchers will realize its accurate portrayal of the passage of time and what it feels like for a death row inmate. Described as his favorite movie he's made, it combines the magic of a Disney film with more adult themes and a soaring story that moves you and makes you judge your own life. Even the title is a metaphor as this film conveys complex themes about life, set in Louisiana in a death row cell block. Expand
  46. Oct 11, 2013
    This movie is one of the best films on history.It never does not duplicate.To my surprise, the overall score of this masterpiece of a total of 61.I'm really sorry for the the critics of these sites
  47. Nov 28, 2013
    Incredible adaptation of Stephen Kings book.

The late Michael Clarke Duncan is perfect in the role of Coffey a mentally challenged black man sentenced to death for the murder of two little girls. Tom Hanks gives a stellar performance as mild-mannered prison guard in charge of death row.

One of the best Stephen King adaptations yet (alongside The Shawshank Redemption).
  48. Jan 5, 2014
    This movie….I can't explain it in words but, this is the best sob movie in time. I'm not going to say its "one of the best" or "probably the best" because I know. This movie is the best. Why? When I was young, about the time you can't walk, I somehow opened the tv and saw this. I only saw a scene of it but, it was so, how to say this, close? I think. Whatever, I couldn't get that movie outThis movie….I can't explain it in words but, this is the best sob movie in time. I'm not going to say its "one of the best" or "probably the best" because I know. This movie is the best. Why? When I was young, about the time you can't walk, I somehow opened the tv and saw this. I only saw a scene of it but, it was so, how to say this, close? I think. Whatever, I couldn't get that movie out of my mind then a 9ish years later, I found the name. I saw the whole movie and now, I feel accomplished. A part of the scene in this movie is so moving that I searched and searched when it was possible to search. I came from a poor family once so I didn't have the internet or a phone or a computer, just a tv. So now, since I have a laptop, I want to say this to the world. This movie changed my life. Expand
  49. Nov 23, 2014
    It hard to take your eyes off the screen while watching the Green Mile. Tom Hanks is at the peak of his career and its on display in this movie. The Green Mile will get you emotionally engaged like very few other movies will. Its hard not to cry while watching it. The late Michael Clarke Duncan is at his best in this movie. Sadly that he never got another chance to shine like he did inIt hard to take your eyes off the screen while watching the Green Mile. Tom Hanks is at the peak of his career and its on display in this movie. The Green Mile will get you emotionally engaged like very few other movies will. Its hard not to cry while watching it. The late Michael Clarke Duncan is at his best in this movie. Sadly that he never got another chance to shine like he did in this film. This one is a flat out classic. Expand
  50. Nov 22, 2014
    The Green Mile was a great movie. It didn't make my top ten (no more than ten do, so it was a hard decision), but it absolutely made my top twenty. Frank Darabont. You wouldn't think he could do a follow-up adaptation of Stephen King's media, after The Shawshank Redemption, of all things. But no, The Green Mile is just as good and better than The Shining and Stand by Me.
  51. Dec 5, 2014
    A movie based on stephen Kings book the green mile does not disappoint! It makes you feel lots of different emotions at different times in the movie. Like most of stephen Kings books it is well thought out. The acting produced by Tom hanks is just amazing, this is probably one of his best films! It is exciting, and gives the watcher an insight on what really happens when someone used toA movie based on stephen Kings book the green mile does not disappoint! It makes you feel lots of different emotions at different times in the movie. Like most of stephen Kings books it is well thought out. The acting produced by Tom hanks is just amazing, this is probably one of his best films! It is exciting, and gives the watcher an insight on what really happens when someone used to get the chair. At times this movie will probably make you cry. This is a good 3 hours so you've really got to dedicate some time to watching it. Overall this is probably one of my favourite movies of all time, and you should definately watch it before you die! Expand
  52. Mar 13, 2015
    Superb movie in all aspects. Great acting, very solid story (also considering there are not many locations), and definitely some very emotional aspects. It's one of those few movies that has really taken you somewhere when it has finished.
  53. Apr 23, 2015
    "We think of this place like an intensive care ward of a hospital." So says Paul Edgecomb, who is in charge of Death Row in a Louisiana penitentiary during the Depression. Paul (Tom Hanks) is a nice man, probably nicer than your average Louisiana Death Row guard, and his staff is competent and humane--all except for the loathsome Percy, whose aunt is married to the governor, and who could"We think of this place like an intensive care ward of a hospital." So says Paul Edgecomb, who is in charge of Death Row in a Louisiana penitentiary during the Depression. Paul (Tom Hanks) is a nice man, probably nicer than your average Louisiana Death Row guard, and his staff is competent and humane--all except for the loathsome Percy, whose aunt is married to the governor, and who could have any state job he wants, but likes it here because "he wants to see one cook up close." One day a new prisoner arrives. He is a gigantic black man, framed by the low-angle camera to loom over the guards and duck under doorways. This is John Coffey ("like the drink, only not spelled the same"), and he has been convicted of molesting and killing two little white girls. From the start it is clear he is not what he seems. He is afraid of the dark, for one thing. He is straightforward in shaking Paul's hand--not like a man with anything to be ashamed of.

"The Green Mile" (so-called because this Death Row has a green floor) is based on a novel by Stephen King, and has been written and directed by Frank Darabont. It is Darabont's first film since the great "The Shawshank Redemption" in 1994. That, too, was based on a King prison story, but this one is very different. It involves the supernatural, for one thing--in a spiritual, not creepy, way.

Both movies center on relationships between a white man and a black man. In "Shawshank" the black man was the witness to a white man's dogged determination, and here the black man's function is to absorb the pain of whites--to redeem and forgive them. By the end, when he is asked to forgive them for sending him to the electric chair, the story has so well prepared us that the key scenes play like drama, not metaphor, and that is not an easy thing to achieve.

I have started to suspect that when we talk about "good acting" in the movies, we are really discussing two other things: good casting and the creation of characters we react to strongly. Much of a performance is created in the filmmaking itself, in photography and editing and the emotional cues of music. But an actor must have the technical and emotional mastery to embody a character and evoke him persuasively, and the film must give him a character worth portraying. Tom Hanks is our movie Everyman, and his Paul is able to win our sympathy with his level eyes and calm, decent voice. We get a real sense of his efficient staff, of the vile natures of Percy and Wharton, and of the goodness of Coffey--who is embodied by Duncan in a performance that is both acting and being.

The movie is a shade over three hours long. I appreciated the extra time, which allows us to feel the passage of prison months and years. Stephen King, sometimes dismissed as merely a best-seller, has in his best novels some of the power of Dickens, who created worlds that enveloped us and populated them with colorful, peculiar, sharply seen characters. King in his strongest work is a storyteller likely to survive as Dickens has, despite the sniffs of the litcrit establishment.

By taking the extra time, Darabont has made King's "The Green Mile" into a story which develops and unfolds, which has detail and space. The movie would have been much diminished at two hours--it would have been a series of episodes without context. As Darabont directs it, it tells a story with beginning, middle, end, vivid characters, humor, outrage and emotional release. Dickensian.
  54. May 28, 2015
    this movie is awesome ... the first movie made me cry ... i hate when i see low ratings on this grate movie ... it deserve to spend 3h ... Michael Duncan was brilliant .. RIP

This jailhouse jam is quite a haul.
  2. Reviewed by: Jay Carr
    There's almost too much there, but the three-hour-plus film permits the kind of detailing that not only brings the storytelling to life, but sometimes persuades us we're breathing to its rhythms.
  3. Its view of spiritual healing is closer to Spielberg fantasy than religious insight. Still, its good acting and good intentions will be enough to please many viewers.