Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: December 10, 1999
8.3
Universal acclaim based on 430 Ratings
Watch Now
Van4808Nov 26, 2011
It makes me angry to see many low scores from critics, this is probably one of the best and most emotional movies I have ever watched.
nvnickAug 17, 2011
I watched this for the third time yesterday, the thing that one critic pointed out is that this film has something extremely rare: soul. This is the most emotional movie I have ever seen, it's not just a drama movie with plot twists andI watched this for the third time yesterday, the thing that one critic pointed out is that this film has something extremely rare: soul. This is the most emotional movie I have ever seen, it's not just a drama movie with plot twists and unexpected tragedies; it has extremely lovable and disliked characters. Characters that we connect with, and when anything happens to them in the movie we feel like crying our guts out. It's also bound to make you take a different look on the use of the electric chair, and there are many other underlying themes and subjects with this movie. This film is a 3 hour experience that will change your mental attitude completely, highly recommended movie. 5/5 stars Expand
someonewApr 5, 2009
I am starting to lose the faith in metacritic's rating... this movie was one of the best I have seen since ages, and 3 hrs isnt that long for it.
1 of 1 users found this helpful
BrunoMMar 15, 2011
brilliant movie. but sad thing is, the kind of thing that happened in this movie still goes on in this world we live in. terrible to think about. like Barry said, probably the movie that had the biggest emotional impact on me out of any moviebrilliant movie. but sad thing is, the kind of thing that happened in this movie still goes on in this world we live in. terrible to think about. like Barry said, probably the movie that had the biggest emotional impact on me out of any movie ive ever watched in my life. i just wish i knew the criteria these "critics" use to review movies. Expand
drlowdonMay 24, 2013
As with the fantastic Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile is based on a Stephen King story and directed by Frank Darabont and I can give no higher praise than to say it is just as good.

The film centres on a stretch of death row known as

The film centres on a stretch of death row known as The Green Mile in which a giant of a man known as John Coffey, accused of murdering two young girls, has been imprisoned. King is widely known for his horror books but, while there are supernatural elements to this story, as with The Shawshank Redemption this film is all about relationships between people in difficult circumstances.

The Green Mile may be three hours long but every minute of that is used to develop the characters and story so that by the end we really do care what happens to them. Those that dismiss Kings work as chart filler may be pleasantly surprised by what they find in this movie.
Spielberg00Sep 17, 2011
Based on one of Stephen King's few non-horror novels, THE GREEN MILE is a long, moving, poignant prison drama with an interesting fantasy twist. Starring Tom Hanks and Michael Clarke Duncan, it tells the story of Paul Edgecomb, a guardBased on one of Stephen King's few non-horror novels, THE GREEN MILE is a long, moving, poignant prison drama with an interesting fantasy twist. Starring Tom Hanks and Michael Clarke Duncan, it tells the story of Paul Edgecomb, a guard working at a prison where a man named John Coffey is brought into custody. Though he has been convicted of brutally murdering two girls, Paul soon enough discovers that John has a special healing power and really comes across as a kind man. Though clearly demented at some points in the plot, THE GREEN MILE was overall a great film. I plan on reading the serial novel on which it is based sometime soon, as it is sitting on my bookshelf, collecting dust and waiting patiently to be read; but as for a recommendation for anyone who hasn't seen this, see it. I can't guarantee you'll like it--there's always a movie not to like, after all--and I can't exactly guarantee you'll make it through the entire three hours and eight minutes, but it is most certainly worth a try. Rent it on Netflix, find it broken up in segments on YouTube, find it on TV, get it On Demand, buy it--whatever. Just make sure you see this film. Expand
SpangleAug 21, 2014
This one is truly great. It may be a tad over three hours, but it feels significantly shorter. Plus, the added time allows us to spend more time with the characters, which is something I will never argue as a negative for this one. Tom Hanks,This one is truly great. It may be a tad over three hours, but it feels significantly shorter. Plus, the added time allows us to spend more time with the characters, which is something I will never argue as a negative for this one. Tom Hanks, David Morse, Michael Clarke Duncan, Doug Hutchison, Barry Pepper, Sam Rockwell, Michael Jeter, and James Cromwell, make up one hell of an ensemble cast for this one and all truly knock their roles out of the park. I am typically not a huge fan of prison dramas, but the heart and compassion you feel for everyone involved in amazing and truly draws you in. The more fantastical elements are also very interesting and set against the backdrop of a very realistic situation are all the more odd, but I think they are handled very well. As a whole, this one is very intriguing, touching, and unique, which elevate it above many prison dramas. Add in the great acting and you truly have something special with The Green Mile. Expand
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
A true cinematic achievement from start to finish. "The Green Mile" is equally beautiful, horrific, heartbreaking and satisfying all throughout, with perfect performances and an unfathomably beautiful score.
ViolettAug 12, 2013
Critics gave this movie red or yellow rank must be clinically insane for sure. This is one of the best movies I ever saw, one of the best melodrama movie. You know, I'm not young man, I dont cry when I get kicked, when I feel pain, but thisCritics gave this movie red or yellow rank must be clinically insane for sure. This is one of the best movies I ever saw, one of the best melodrama movie. You know, I'm not young man, I dont cry when I get kicked, when I feel pain, but this movie made me cry. Not just a single tear, but I cried like a river. Just watch this, you will never forget The Green Mile. Expand
SuitupAug 11, 2013
Energetic, deep, and sad. I've never burst into tears watching any movies. It makes me upset to see bad mediocre reviews from critics. I loved this movie. It was worth the 3-hour sit through.
DEJPOLOct 11, 2013
This movie is one of the best films on history.It never does not duplicate.To my surprise, the overall score of this masterpiece of a total of 61.I'm really sorry for the the critics of these sites
FilippoNov 15, 2013
It's incredible seeing so many low scores from critics for probably one of the three best movies ever. Its intensity and brilliance is something just amazing. There are no movies of this level nowadays. Three hours of emotions
manuprathapJul 3, 2014
Seriously? Metascore of this movie is 61!!!What a disaster. Then what are these so called critics expect from a movie.It's interesting,thrilling,emotional ,well directed movie with an amazing story and screen play .
Actors are really mind
Actors are really mind blowing.Story and screen play as what i expected from the great 'King'.The Drabaont-king gang have presented us one another gem not lesser than that of 'The Shawshank Redemption'
got more than i wanted.
the critics who gave thus a movie a low rating ,at the same time garnishes the 'waste of time movies' like syriana,up in the air,michael clayton with scores more than 75 .Fools.
ScareFanJun 9, 2015
3 hours of your time that you will not regret. As a massive Stephen King fan I could not wait to see this movie after I'd read the book, and boy was I ever impressed. The story in itself is heartbreaking and gut wrenching, so grab your3 hours of your time that you will not regret. As a massive Stephen King fan I could not wait to see this movie after I'd read the book, and boy was I ever impressed. The story in itself is heartbreaking and gut wrenching, so grab your tissues, but by the end of it don't be surprised if you want to watch the entire thing all over again. Tom Hanks is absolutely fabulous in the role of Paul Edgecomb, and the performances by Michael Clarke Duncan, David Morse and Sam Rockwell add all the necessary depth to their characters. Thrilling, magical, funny, traumatising... The Green Mile is all those things and I believe it would be impossible to be bored by this film. It's another one that requires your undivided attention and it is quite long but it doesn't feel that way by the end. There are characters you will love and ones you will hate but you will be touched by the stories they tell. I am always blown away by this movie, it is one of my all time favourites, and I highly recommend it. Expand
BigOakley02Aug 23, 2015
What's with the low scores? This is the second best, and second saddest, movie I have ever seen. Then again, I haven't seen many sad movies If you haven't noticed already, I love this movie. Nobody beats Tom Hanks when it comes to acting, andWhat's with the low scores? This is the second best, and second saddest, movie I have ever seen. Then again, I haven't seen many sad movies If you haven't noticed already, I love this movie. Nobody beats Tom Hanks when it comes to acting, and Michael Clarke Duncan is brilliant too. Expand
theresamMay 2, 2009
Thought-provoking and emotional dynamite!
2 of 3 users found this helpful
RainbowDenixAug 5, 2016
Это больше чем фильм…

Это больше чем фильм…

Знаете, есть фильмы, которые заставляют о чем-то важном подумать, сделать свои умозаключения после просмотра, уяснить для себя урок и жить дальше не забывая его. Например, фильм, снятый по не менее гениальному роману С. Кинга `Побег из Шоушенга` заставляет задуматься о судьбе человека, в чьих она руках, о справедливости в мире, о надежде, которая движет человеком, и он способен разрушить любые преграды на своем пути благодаря ей.

Но есть одно НО — эти мысли оставляют человека через какое-то время, и человек вновь погружается в свои проблемы, бытовую жизнь, погружается в мир, который заставляет жить человека по определенным правилам. Правилам, которые диктует суровая реальность, человек невольно, сам того не замечая, грязнет в грехах и бессмысленных поступках. Та ценность, которую передает определенный фильм человеку, куда-то уходит, забывается или затирается в мозгу.

Но есть фильмы, которые на протяжении всей жизни человека своим сюжетом всегда возвращает его к тем вопросам, о которых должен задумываться каждый человек, присланный на землю богом и живущий по его законам и правилам.

Для такого человека просмотр и осмысление фильма «Зеленая миля» становится очень важным событием в его жизни.

Для такого человека эти фильмы дают больше чем, например, безбожнику или человеку, верующего в Него, но с головой погрязшего в грехах и который все реже различает, что делается «добром», а что «злом». Такие люди не найдут ничего особенного в этом фильме или будут оценивать с материальной точки зрения, политики, сравнивать динамичность его сцен с более эффектными фильмами. В общем, не найдут того зерна, который было истинно заложено С. Кингом и режиссерами, снявшими его.

Я полностью присоединяюсь к тем положительным отзывам о фильме, которые были сказаны выше. Чувствуется, что люди полностью полюбили этот фильм всем сердцем. А мне кажется еще, что, возможно, ничего подобного больше на экраны не выйдет.

Мне кажется, что этот роман был «продиктован» С. Кингу свыше и что не случайно он был экранизирован через 2000 лет после рождества Иисуса Христа.

Этот фильм полностью пронизан любовью и состраданием ко всему живому в лице Джона Коффи. Эта картина напоминает то время, когда жил и Иисус Христос, о его чудесных исцелениях людей, о вере в Отца своего до конца, до гроба. Он никого не осуждал и любил врагов своих. Что-то подобное можно увидеть в образе Джона Коффи, который просто устал от жестокости в мире и непонимания людей. В системе дьявола, на Земле, он просто не мог выжить. Несмотря на свой внушительный вид, который может нести огромную разрушительную силу, Джон Коффи по фильму сходен с безобидным мышонком. Это неспроста, что С. Кинг пытался уровнять всех людей перед собой и пытался показать, что все люди едины перед природой и ее законами и равны перед Богом.

По-моему, в фильме прозвучало очень много истинных фраз — например, слова заключенного индейца «Если человек искренне раскаивается в своих грехах, то он может вернуться в то время, которое было самым счастливым для него и остаться там навсегда. Может, это и есть Рай». Только искренне раскаивающемуся человеку становится понятен истинный смысл жизни и то, что смерть — это только начало вечной жизни.

Вот именно поэтому церковь всегда выступает против смертной казни, т. к. человек должен понять эту истину, сам приблизиться к ней, и это возможно только через беды и лишения. Т. е. только в тюрьме, к сожалению.

«Их любовь помогла погубить себя» — эти слова Д. Кофи отвечают на многие вопросы, почему в мире такая несправедливость и жестокость. Именно таким инструментом пользуется дьявол внутри каждого из нас. «И так происходит каждый день, по всему миру».

В фильме нет мудреных философских суждений или притчей из Библии, этого и не нужно было. В фильме вообще все понятно без слов, и это в том числе благодаря потрясающей игре актеров и их подбором.

В конце фильма возникает ощущение того, что главный как раз в этой тюрьме Джон Коффи, а не кто-то другой. Именно он должен быть на свободе, а все остальные на его месте, в камере смертников. Это лишний раз показывает нам, как все люди сбились со своего жизненного пути и программы, заложенной свыше Богом.

Такие фильмы надо прочувствовать всем сердцем. И если человеку это удастся сделать по-настоящему, то целой книги не хватит, чтобы выразить все свои мысли и эмоции об этом фильме.
StanB.Aug 21, 2007
Best adaptation of a Stephen King novel.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
DalekMay 18, 2014
Despite the film being 3 hours long, it's definitely worth watching. It's really interesting, and I recommend not looking into this film at all as its better that way. The soundtrack for this is brilliant as it's by Thomas Newman which got meDespite the film being 3 hours long, it's definitely worth watching. It's really interesting, and I recommend not looking into this film at all as its better that way. The soundtrack for this is brilliant as it's by Thomas Newman which got me to watch this film in the first place. The film is like an adventure, its sad, it's very dark, its a mix of a bunch of things which is what makes it great as well. Not to mention that all of the actors for this film were perfect for their roles as well. Expand
ZorglyJan 13, 2011
Tom Hanks and Michael Clark Duncan are amazing. The script is creative and often powerful. Running at just over 3 hours long I felt there were a few scenes that could have easily been cut to aid in pacing. Overall a very good movie
sissi_stessSep 3, 2017
One of the best movies I ever saw!! If you don't cry I don't trust you.The story is so moving and the casting is also really good.
RIP Michael Clarke Duncan
NickA.Sep 8, 2006
It takes something exceptional to come close to Frank Darabonts Shawshank Redemption but the director manages to bring another multilayered tale to life. We cross themes of spirituality, humanity, good versus evil and also some fantasy which It takes something exceptional to come close to Frank Darabonts Shawshank Redemption but the director manages to bring another multilayered tale to life. We cross themes of spirituality, humanity, good versus evil and also some fantasy which all work brilliantly together to bring a deeply moving film with excellent performances from the entire cast. Some have complained that the movie is far too long but for me the time flew because every scene is worthwhile, the film draws you in from the outset and doesn't let go with little sub themes and a rich multi-layered story that is rich and beautiful but also terribly sad at times. If you don't like this film then in my view you don't know what being human is all about. An astonishing beautiful film that will stay with you for a long time. Expand
TonyB.Apr 17, 2008
Succeeds on all levels...give in to it.
RodG.Feb 21, 2007
Once again the users got it right.
E.R.Aug 24, 2007
Touching.
Joek.Jan 3, 2007
Sweet moving video. Ban execution!!!!
BrunoG.Oct 24, 2008
I really think this movie deserves a perfect score. The first time i saw it i was forced to lock myself in the bathroom to cry like i baby. It's very touching indeed, and the acting of John it's wonderful.
JayHOct 5, 2008
The reviews for this remind me once again that most film critics are overpaid, self important idiots. This was one of the best films ive ever seen.
BarryFeb 10, 2008
Touching film. This has got to be the film that had the biggest emotional impact on me out of them all. It's sad, witty and the acting is fantastic. It deserves more than the average it has here. I adore it!
GaryA.Mar 2, 2008
Those so called movie reviewers who slated this movie are not representative of the ordinary guy on the street who enjoyed the film. As shown by the average score of 9.