The Hangover Part II

5.7

1. May 28, 2011
    The best part of the first movie is also the best part of the second film: the photo reveal during the credits. Absolutely hilarious. I jumped out of my seat a couple of times to the chagrin of my crime partners. The rest of the movie is good, just not nearly as new and fresh as the original - which is to be expected. It's not the Empire Strikes Back of comedies. It also doesn't have asThe best part of the first movie is also the best part of the second film: the photo reveal during the credits. Absolutely hilarious. I jumped out of my seat a couple of times to the chagrin of my crime partners. The rest of the movie is good, just not nearly as new and fresh as the original - which is to be expected. It's not the Empire Strikes Back of comedies. It also doesn't have as many plumb supporting roles as the first. The lack of Mel Gibson in the tattoo artist scene leaves a gaping hole where some laughs should have been. And the cameo toward the end (no spoilers) was almost painfully unfunny. What salvages the movie is seeing more of the Wolfpack and Chow. On another note, how does this girl from the Real World San Diego keep getting roles? First Sucker Punch and now this? She doesn't seem to bring much to the table. But hey, to her credit, she's one of two actresses to emerge from that show with any semblance of a film career. Expand
  2. Jun 2, 2011
    Very entertaining and hilarious...but very similar to the first movie. It was as if they made the script from the first movie into a Mad Lib, and just replaced a few words to write the script for Part II. All you have to do is replace tiger with monkey, missing tooth with tattoo, Vegas with Thailand, roof with....well, I don't want to give the whole thing away. I wish the script wasVery entertaining and hilarious...but very similar to the first movie. It was as if they made the script from the first movie into a Mad Lib, and just replaced a few words to write the script for Part II. All you have to do is replace tiger with monkey, missing tooth with tattoo, Vegas with Thailand, roof with....well, I don't want to give the whole thing away. I wish the script was more innovative and more of a twist on the original, rather than copying it, but it was still funny and entertaining nonetheless. I'm still glad I saw it. Expand
  3. Mar 21, 2012
    Fun to watch, however, what made the original Hangover so good was the surprise element throughout and the wackiness of Galifianakis. Neither of these elements are fresh in this sequel and as a result the makers felt they needed to push the bar to new extremes, but perhaps pushed it a couple of clicks more than I would have liked them to.
  4. May 31, 2011
    The first one was surprising: madcap situations, wacky characters and outrageous humor. The sequel is more of the sameâ
  5. Jun 4, 2011
    Like Caddyshack 2 and Animal House 2 and _______________ (pick another studio-driven comedic cash cow) 2, the second Hangover was sentimentally funny and all too forgettable (except The Crying Game allusion...well done there, boys). That said I laughed my ass off a few times and, once again, hardest of all during the closing credits. It was essentially the same template as the first, but ILike Caddyshack 2 and Animal House 2 and _______________ (pick another studio-driven comedic cash cow) 2, the second Hangover was sentimentally funny and all too forgettable (except The Crying Game allusion...well done there, boys). That said I laughed my ass off a few times and, once again, hardest of all during the closing credits. It was essentially the same template as the first, but I had a couple of beers and popcorn all ready, so I knew what I was getting into. Expand
  6. Jun 3, 2011
    The makers of the Hangover have accomplished the seemingly difficult task of creating a film to rival the aforementioned Las Vegian laugh-fest in both quality and originality.
    The Hangover Part 2's opening scenes will initially spark fears that it will be nothing more than a Zach Galifianakis show, with nine tenths of the gag material coming from him. And despite Galifianakis' impending foray into the comedic elite, multiple hours of just this clueless and inappropriate hilarity would inevitably become sickening.
    Nevertheless, once the 'wolfpack' are thrown into their 'hangover', this film picks up where their last one left off. The colourful and erratic nature of Bangkok is the perfect contrast to the setting of their previous wild escapade and the suitably action-accompanied plot line moves along with the velocity of a steam train. However, what is particularly appreciable about this film is the resistance by Phillps et al to not transverse complete rationality - despite gunfights, car chases and drug-dealing monkeys, the basic premise of this film remains within the relative boundaries of reason, particularly when considering the foundations for this film: being part 1.
    The Hangover Part 2 is by no means a masterpiece. It is the film that fans of its predecessor want to see, and the creators could not ask for more than that.
  7. May 26, 2011
    Maybe its because I'm biased about The Hangover franchise, in a positive way, because the original is one of my favorite movies of all time, but the new addition to the series shouldn't be getting a grade in the 40's. Yes, it is a much crueler and darker film than the original and everything feels the same, but "The Hangover: Part II" is better than the dumb, crap comedies that HollywoodMaybe its because I'm biased about The Hangover franchise, in a positive way, because the original is one of my favorite movies of all time, but the new addition to the series shouldn't be getting a grade in the 40's. Yes, it is a much crueler and darker film than the original and everything feels the same, but "The Hangover: Part II" is better than the dumb, crap comedies that Hollywood produces on a daily basis. Newcomer, Mason Lee who plays Teddy, Stew's new fiance's younger brother, gives a flat, half-assed performance. And at points, I didn't even want "the Wolf pack" to find him when he went missing. I was sort of happy he was gone from the whole crowd. Also in this new addition, Alan seems more or less mentally handicapped in this film and after the first few of his jokes, you just start to feel bad for him, the humor is very dark and vulgar and there is no sign of heart or just any sign of human compassion in Part II. I'm not saying Part II is a bad movie, but none the less, I'm not saying its a great one. There aren't many quotable lines while the original was probably the most quotable movie of this generation, and the movie isn't very memorable. But, on the other hand, for the time being, it is consistently funny and while it is a little disappointing, it's a fine prequel to the last of the series, Part III, which hopefully starts Pre-Production in the next few months. By any means though, Part II doesn't deserve all of this critical bash it's receiving but it will please the fans for the time being.
    All in all, Part II is a meaner, cruder and much more vulgar remake of the original that is fairly funny and we'll entertain anyone in the theater, it'll just be that and will hold fans' attention spans long enough until the final part of the franchised is being released.
  8. Jun 21, 2011
    I gave the original a 9, but this one just falls short. They basically remade the first one and though I laughed pretty hard a couple times, most of the time I was bored.
  9. May 30, 2011
    Much has been said about the fact that they reused almost the exact same formula for the plot on this second go-around. The truth is, for this second installment of the Wolf Pack franchise, the formula works-it's the jokes that don't hold the film together. The film begins like a comfortable pair of shoes. The film looks great, the characters are still interesting, but soon you find thatMuch has been said about the fact that they reused almost the exact same formula for the plot on this second go-around. The truth is, for this second installment of the Wolf Pack franchise, the formula works-it's the jokes that don't hold the film together. The film begins like a comfortable pair of shoes. The film looks great, the characters are still interesting, but soon you find that this pair of shoes has some holes in it. One would imagine that finding jokes in such a foreign land for the Wolf Pack would have been easier, but the filmmakers went for shock value rather than actual belly laughs this time. The memory sequence with Allen was actually one of the more clever moments in the film because the comedy came from what we already know about the character, not by showing us human body parts in different combination. I did not have a terrible time with Hangover 2, I just expected more from a trip half way around the world. Expand
  10. May 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is part 2? of thought it was a remake of the original so really it should be named 'The Hangover 2011'.
    At the start I thought they were making reference to the original with the phone call and the wedding but as it 'progressed' into the film I realised that I was watching the exact same film for the same amount of money. Trust me the whole film it just the same plot. The 'Wolfpack' get drunk, they lose somebody, they make a deal to find somebody, the deal goes wrong, etc.. it's all the same. (N.B: I am required to hide spoilers although if you saw the original thats basically a major spoiler)
  11. Jun 3, 2011
    Hilarious movie but had all the same jokes and whatnot. The real disappointment, for me, with this sequel is that I definitely won't be seeing it more than once. I can always pop in the original whenever I want and still find it equally funny. Unfortunately, I won't be seeing this again. Definitely worth seeing once, though.
  12. Jun 4, 2011
    When all is said and done it is more raunchier than its predecessor and manages to serve up the same level of laughs yet it lacks on what the first one succeeds in, which is the mystery angle.
  13. Jun 8, 2011
    The Hangover 2.0 would have been a better name, because though this movie is very good, it is essentially a new version of the original. Same plot, same jokes, and the same idiots. While it IS repetitive, it is in no way bad. In fact, it is just as amusing as the original. Just less shock if you saw the 1st.
  14. Jun 20, 2011
    This my review for the movie. I thought that I would be too long so gave you a link instead. Hope you enjoy!
  15. Jun 24, 2011
    It is clear that the concept would be the same, is what makes the movie a bit predictable, and sometimes no fun. Despite this, the jokes were not repeated (well for that). 6
  16. Jul 6, 2011
    Same guys , Same situation , New city ... The wolf pack is back for the same old wild goose chase around town searching for yet another missing compadre .. Just imagine a more dirtier and funnier Hangover Part 1.. and also, throw in a drug dealing monkey into that chaos and u'll get the picture. Stu and Phil's characters were kinda overused ... Nevertheless Chow and Alan (who was moreSame guys , Same situation , New city ... The wolf pack is back for the same old wild goose chase around town searching for yet another missing compadre .. Just imagine a more dirtier and funnier Hangover Part 1.. and also, throw in a drug dealing monkey into that chaos and u'll get the picture. Stu and Phil's characters were kinda overused ... Nevertheless Chow and Alan (who was more stupid than usual) kept the comedy running .... but the magic we saw in Las Vegas is defnitely gone ... Expand
  17. Jul 18, 2011
    Very disappointing in comparison to the original. I squirmed in my seat as it dragged on and on. Hopefully this means there will be no Hangover 3. Save your money!
  18. Aug 9, 2011
    Despite having the exact same formula as the first one, it's unoriginality is saved by the pretty consistent comedy. It is head and shoulders below the first though.
  19. Nov 23, 2011
    Hangover Part II is like an Asian version of part I ! Every plot is the same . part one was good but not near awesome and this one far far away from being awesome . some jokes were funny but others were disgusting . is it so hard to write a different story . also this story sucks more . the one and the only positive thing that kept me till the end was Cooper ,Ed & zach's amazing actingHangover Part II is like an Asian version of part I ! Every plot is the same . part one was good but not near awesome and this one far far away from being awesome . some jokes were funny but others were disgusting . is it so hard to write a different story . also this story sucks more . the one and the only positive thing that kept me till the end was Cooper ,Ed & zach's amazing acting .they just nailed it..i give five out of my 6 point to them .
    Todd said he will make another sequel ......and if the plot is the same i don't think i am gonna wast my time .
  20. Aug 23, 2011
    Il fallait s'y attendre, Very Bad Trip 2 est un véritable copié/collé du premier...en moins fendard. Malgré un début prometteur, le film arrive à nous sortir des gags un peu lourds ou qui tombent à plat. Mais franchement, cela suffit largement pour déclencher les fous rires attendus avecIl fallait s'y attendre, Very Bad Trip 2 est un véritable copié/collé du premier...en moins fendard. Malgré un début prometteur, le film arrive à nous sortir des gags un peu lourds ou qui tombent à plat. Mais franchement, cela suffit largement pour déclencher les fous rires attendus avec des moments comiques d'anthologie.On se fend la gueule avec ces personnages toujours bien interprétés et c'est déjà ça! Expand
  21. DND
    Oct 29, 2011
    It is still the same Hangover with its nice jokes and pretty unpredictable plot but the first part was totally better, that's all. This time Zach Galifianakis makes everything to save the sequel. There's a whole of boredom, you're searching it and you can find it, well, yes, there is some..
  22. Sep 2, 2014
    "Oh, you are having a bad day. Did you die?" - Mr. Chow

Not as good as the first in the series, but it still makes you fun.

************************
  23. May 30, 2013
    The first Hangover movie was wonderful. I have to say I was less than impressed with the second. It was more of the same, just in a new location. It did have its moments, and the actors were still great!
  24. Jun 11, 2013
    Didn't like it actually. I laughed but if you think about it, it was a waste of time. I know they are laughable and the actors are great, but it was predictable not like the first film. I hope the 3rd one is better because Ghalifianakis must be the best comedian in the world right now and i really want to laugh like i did in the first film
  25. Jun 25, 2013
    This movie was funny, no doubt about it, yet i don't think it's perfect.

1. It literally IS the first movie, the same setup the same payoff and same revalations that are all solved at the end of the movie. 2. The comedy is much Darker, depending whether or not you like that, some parts for me literally had me thinking this is just... insane but genious. Some part of me says people
    This movie was funny, no doubt about it, yet i don't think it's perfect.

Some part of me says people have been to judgemental of this film, i'm thinking this is gonna be the modern "National Lampoon Vacation" series, something also makes me wonder what would happen should THIS film have came first.

Nevertheless I didn't care, i loved the movie and considering all these REALLY unneccesary sequels being made at the moment this one wasn't either BUT IT WAS MADE RIGHT.

Final Verdict: Try and review it as this is the only movie, if you like it you do if you don't you don't, personally i think it's missing all the surprise of the first one, but i still considered it good for what it's worth.

"Phil... I'm scared".
  26. Jan 8, 2015
    The Hangover Part II is a 2011 American comedy film produced by Legendary Pictures and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. It is the sequel to 2009's The Hangover and the second film in The Hangover trilogy. Todd Phillips directed the film in addition to co-authoring the script with Craig Mazin, and Scot Armstrong. The film stars Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Zach Galifianakis, Ken Jeong,The Hangover Part II is a 2011 American comedy film produced by Legendary Pictures and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. It is the sequel to 2009's The Hangover and the second film in The Hangover trilogy. Todd Phillips directed the film in addition to co-authoring the script with Craig Mazin, and Scot Armstrong. The film stars Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Zach Galifianakis, Ken Jeong, Jeffrey Tambor, Justin Bartha and Paul Giamatti. It tells the story of Phil, Stu, Alan, and Doug as they travel to Thailand for Stu's wedding. After the bachelor party in Las Vegas, Stu takes no chances and opts for a safe, subdued pre-wedding brunch. Things do not go as planned, resulting in another bad hangover with no memories of the previous night. Expand
  27. May 27, 2011
    The Hangover, Part II is not what you expected to see, but not nearly as good as the first movie. I don't think that movie will not be the best sequel and even though the scenes are not that bad, the characters are that bad, the cinematography is not that bad, it's the story has the same plot as the first one. I just wonder that why are doing all over again and why do they do same issueThe Hangover, Part II is not what you expected to see, but not nearly as good as the first movie. I don't think that movie will not be the best sequel and even though the scenes are not that bad, the characters are that bad, the cinematography is not that bad, it's the story has the same plot as the first one. I just wonder that why are doing all over again and why do they do same issue all over again. The scenes could be funny sometime, but it's very vulgarly nasty and too tedious to see. Expand
  28. Dec 17, 2012
    Not much to say about this film. It
  29. Jul 26, 2011
    It seems like Horrible Bosses has taken over to look something forward to as a sequel. This movie lost its luster on this part II. Hangover 1 was just amazing. There was a lot of stupid sexuality that just wasn't funny. Using the monkey for jokes just does not work unless your audience is younger (which it clearly can't be with all the other sexual stuff in this movie).
  30. Jun 10, 2011
    Not nearly as funny as part 1, which till date its considered one of the funniest movies of all time. This sequel ripped off everything part one was made of and duplicated the plot, jokes, and premise. Its basically how The Hangover 1 SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN DONE. Lack of creativity and some boring slow parts made this one a lack luster movie, DVD material. Hangover 1 is still king.
  31. Jun 5, 2011
    I Can't rate this movie any higher, because though this movie had some laugh out loud moments, for me it was just too much like the first one. I'm sure that the filmmakers wanted to follow the same format, but for me it just doesnt work. I think they over thought this one.......
  32. May 31, 2011
    So wanted to like The Hangover Part II but even though it was OK, it just could not live up to the brilliant original. Yes I did laugh out loud many times but the fact that its the exact same movie was so disappointing. This movie proves the point about what is wrong with Hollywood.
  33. Jul 31, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is the same thing just in a different location, sometimes that can be good but this movie is not as funny as the first, that had charm and actually good jokes, this has as much charm as a bangkok ladyboy and only a few good jokes, good if you go with your friends that are all guys as there is a point were we find out that Stu has had sex with ladyboy and its just a weird and awkward moment that you don't want to experience on a first date. Expand
  34. Jun 6, 2011
    As you might've guessed, this movie is essentially the same as the original. Different city, different wedding, same scenario...but what else could you do with a sequel like this? Much of the humor is unoriginal and borrowed from part I. It just felt stale throughout. Sure there are some funny moments, but part II fails to differentiate itself enough from its predecessor to warrant theAs you might've guessed, this movie is essentially the same as the original. Different city, different wedding, same scenario...but what else could you do with a sequel like this? Much of the humor is unoriginal and borrowed from part I. It just felt stale throughout. Sure there are some funny moments, but part II fails to differentiate itself enough from its predecessor to warrant the price of admission. Part III is already on the way... whose wedding could it be this time? Expand
  35. Jun 8, 2011
    To say that The Hangover Part II is anywhere close to being as good as the original should be a crime. The original Hangover is a masterpiece when it comes to vulgar jaw dropping comedies, in my opinion it is one of the best comedies in years, but part II failed to measure up to it's previous story. It is what it looks like, a less funny, carbon copy of the first film. Maybe Part III canTo say that The Hangover Part II is anywhere close to being as good as the original should be a crime. The original Hangover is a masterpiece when it comes to vulgar jaw dropping comedies, in my opinion it is one of the best comedies in years, but part II failed to measure up to it's previous story. It is what it looks like, a less funny, carbon copy of the first film. Maybe Part III can win back my love for Todd Phillips. Expand
  36. Aug 4, 2011
    This movie is really hard to review, because, as a stand alone movie, it's brilliant, but as a sequel to the first hangover, it is a complete copy of the first movie with a few different jokes and a new setting. It isn't just similar, it is almost completely identical to the first movie, especially the beginning, where the format is exactly the same. I can't say I didn't enjoy watching theThis movie is really hard to review, because, as a stand alone movie, it's brilliant, but as a sequel to the first hangover, it is a complete copy of the first movie with a few different jokes and a new setting. It isn't just similar, it is almost completely identical to the first movie, especially the beginning, where the format is exactly the same. I can't say I didn't enjoy watching the movie, because I did, but if the writers of the the hangover are considering making a third installment, they really need some new ideas. Expand
  37. Jun 19, 2011
    I know that probably every person on the world knows by now that The Hangover: Part 2 is a duplicate of the first film and it is true. From the first scene it feels like you are watching the same movie just set in a different location. It does have humorous moments but I think it got a little more disturbing than the first. It was a funny movie but i would stick to the first
  38. May 26, 2011
    Sadly, this movie just seems as if it's trying to hard to cash in on the success of the first, rather than try to top it. This is one of those films that "had those couple of good, funny scenes." Unfortunately, close to all of those scenes involved a penis.

I managed to watch it's predecessor 4 times in theatres, as opposed to the one time I'm ever going to see this. Maybe I'll watch it again, but not anytime soon.

If you were a fan of the first one, I would recommend seeing it, just for the sake of seeing it, but I wouldn't go in with very high expectations.
  39. Jul 3, 2011
    Sure it had some laughs, but it's basically the first Hangover. Only this time it's in Thailand. I was dissappointed after seeing it, and even more so when my friends talked about how much they liked it. If you've seen the first one, you're not going to get any more.
  40. Sep 8, 2011
    Having seen the reviews beforehand, I was expecting the EXACT same movie in a different setting. But, actually, it's not all that bad. Sure, the template is virtually the same, but that's often what a sequel is. However, there are some darker and still unique differences. The simple criticism is, it's just not that funny.
  41. Sep 27, 2011
    The movie is 90% "Hangover" and 10% Ken Jeong. "The Hangover Part 2" is a decent comedy that will rattle you up for several minutes, but **** plz! The movie is what you already saw in 2009.
  42. Mar 14, 2012
    hangover part 1 was really funny, this one made me fall asleep. it was exactly the same as the first, but with less funny jokes. apparently they are making a hangover 3, thats gonna fail.
  43. Dec 12, 2012
    The formula works, but the comedy in this instalment leaves you feeling awkward and uncomfortable. Coupled with Alan's transformation from a blundering idiot into a complete sociopath makes this movie a definite notch below the first instalment.
  44. Apr 15, 2012
    It's a lot like the first one, just the same exept a little diffrent and new location. Not a very good film if you asked me. The Hangover Part 2 5.5/10
  45. May 25, 2012
    It has its funny moments and its "OMFG CAN'T BREATHE" moments, but those just about 10% of the movie. This is just a giant carbon copy of the first. Even the perverted and raunchy humor that made the original a hit has gotten a little stupid and old. This movie just barely hits the okay mark.
  46. Feb 15, 2013
    Just like its earlier part, except this time in Thailand.
  47. Jan 12, 2013
    The first one was for sure better, but I don't care, it delivered a lot of laughs. The Hangover 2 is not funnier, smarter and dangerous than the first Hangover (epic).
  48. Jul 16, 2013
    This film was a disappointment for me, having enjoyed part 1 immensely. It felt like too much of a rehash with the plot of the original being mirrored with some less funny, darker and raunchier comedy. I laughed a lot less in this movie when compared to the original which was upsetting considering my love for the original. The movie still has it's moments, such as the drug dealing monkey,This film was a disappointment for me, having enjoyed part 1 immensely. It felt like too much of a rehash with the plot of the original being mirrored with some less funny, darker and raunchier comedy. I laughed a lot less in this movie when compared to the original which was upsetting considering my love for the original. The movie still has it's moments, such as the drug dealing monkey, but the majority of the movies is unfunny or recycled. I still found the movie watchable for the actors chemistry and occasional funny joke but overall this film was a massive disappointment. Expand
  49. Jun 2, 2013
    Yes, it's a cash-grab. Why does Bradley Cooper lead again? He's given almost nothing to satisfy the viewer except to keep the two crazies (Alan and Stu) apart. The way Stu freaks out and matures throughout this movie is both admirable and funny, of which Ed Helms should be proud. Alan is viewed as the spoilt child but manages to make people smile once more. The only two characters in thisYes, it's a cash-grab. Why does Bradley Cooper lead again? He's given almost nothing to satisfy the viewer except to keep the two crazies (Alan and Stu) apart. The way Stu freaks out and matures throughout this movie is both admirable and funny, of which Ed Helms should be proud. Alan is viewed as the spoilt child but manages to make people smile once more. The only two characters in this franchise that are worth savouring (if you don't count Mr Chow) The plot is dark. The jokes are rehashed and Bangkok is a gritty place to spend this hangover. Only tune in for Helms and Galifianakis, with a side of Jeong. Expand
  50. Jun 29, 2011
    This movie had it's funny moments, but all in all, this movie's main flaw was it's unoriginality. It was basically exactly like the first movie, just in a different city.
  51. Jul 23, 2011
    Control + c. Control + v. There was no creativity in this movie, but it still manages to get a few deserving laughs. The full frontal (Yes, there are multiple of men and women) were disturbing and unneeded. Definitely, the metascore does a good job of representing this movie.
  52. May 19, 2012
    It's kinda sad that I didn't feel that this one was as good as I thought it would be. I loved the 1st movie, when this trailer came, I was so excited. I was with my friends in theaters to watch this. When it was over, we kinda felt that something felt wrong about it, it's just the same **** as the 1st one with a lil change on it. I think that I was lil too hyped forIt's kinda sad that I didn't feel that this one was as good as I thought it would be. I loved the 1st movie, when this trailer came, I was so excited. I was with my friends in theaters to watch this. When it was over, we kinda felt that something felt wrong about it, it's just the same **** as the 1st one with a lil change on it. I think that I was lil too hyped for it. So, I went to see it again, by myself this time. Again, I had that feeling, it didn't hold-up as I really want it too. If you already saw the 1st movie, you don't have to see this one. It doesn't hold up as you think or how much you want it to. I felt the same. It really pains me to say it, but this is a skip. Expand
  53. May 28, 2011
    Its okay, there is not really anything funny in the dialogue, i think it is mainly just slapstick comedy, the most basic of things. The situations are outrageous so we are supposed to laugh.. and I did if only Ken Jeong could save the whole film..
  54. Dec 3, 2011
    Not at all a good as the first one. I generally like when they do not mess too much with a formula that was working but this installement somehow felt quite uninspired. Actually there was not that many places where I lauched. Most of the time I was just feeling annoyed that the bloody bearded idiot actually did the same thing again.
  55. Jun 10, 2011
    I didn't expect Part II to be anywhere as good as the original, but it was disappointing nonetheless. I wouldn't have minded the fact that it was basically the same movie, if it had at least been a little bit funny. I was mildly laughing for the first 20 minutes, but after that, when all the hilarity was supposed to start, the film just became boring and hard to watch. The plot stoppedI didn't expect Part II to be anywhere as good as the original, but it was disappointing nonetheless. I wouldn't have minded the fact that it was basically the same movie, if it had at least been a little bit funny. I was mildly laughing for the first 20 minutes, but after that, when all the hilarity was supposed to start, the film just became boring and hard to watch. The plot stopped making sense, and got really confusing. Too many things were happening, and there wasn't enough comedy to keep me interested. The first movie will forever be one of my favorite comedies, but I'm really hoping to just forget that the second part exists. I didn't rate this too low, because, as I've mentioned before, I found the first 20 minutes funny. Expand
  56. Jun 16, 2011
    So a sequel to a great movie. This can't be good. Yes indeed. This movie was horrible. I couldn't enjoy watching it at all. I paid 10 bucks to watch the same movie, with a new setting. Don't get me wrong the movie had some funny parts, but it wasn't nearly as amazing as the first one. The biggest problem with the sequel, is it's structured the same as the first. Which is very annoying toSo a sequel to a great movie. This can't be good. Yes indeed. This movie was horrible. I couldn't enjoy watching it at all. I paid 10 bucks to watch the same movie, with a new setting. Don't get me wrong the movie had some funny parts, but it wasn't nearly as amazing as the first one. The biggest problem with the sequel, is it's structured the same as the first. Which is very annoying to watch. You feel just scammed. it's so not worth paying 10 bucks to see the same movie with a different setting, a new person getting married, with less funny jokes. Todd Phillips messed up. Expand
  57. May 31, 2011
    Cash crop, that's all this movie is now. The fresh are ideas from the first one are recycled. The movie weighs too heavily on the things that worked the first time. The saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" yeah that applies to everything except movie sequels, or people who are trying to be original. I didn't totally hate it. I mean I didn't expect much. It still had it moments but notCash crop, that's all this movie is now. The fresh are ideas from the first one are recycled. The movie weighs too heavily on the things that worked the first time. The saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" yeah that applies to everything except movie sequels, or people who are trying to be original. I didn't totally hate it. I mean I didn't expect much. It still had it moments but not even close to the very first Hangover. Expand
  58. Jun 3, 2011
    I really looked forward to seeing this film, reason being that I loved the first film, but this film was darker and it was not up to standard. I guess I was forced to laugh at some parts of the film, it could of been a lot better. First of all the introduction was so boring, that I questioned myself if I didn't see the first film, I would be out of there within the first twenty minutes.I really looked forward to seeing this film, reason being that I loved the first film, but this film was darker and it was not up to standard. I guess I was forced to laugh at some parts of the film, it could of been a lot better. First of all the introduction was so boring, that I questioned myself if I didn't see the first film, I would be out of there within the first twenty minutes.

Some of these Jokes, you have to wonder where they even funny or where they that shocking you wonder whether to laugh or not. The humor was nowhere near as good. I guess this is one of those failed sequels and to be honest I am not expecting a lot from the third one.
  59. Jun 5, 2011
    . All in all the movie was not bad, but I found that it was basically the same as the first movie except for the change in location, who was getting married, and who they were trying to find. It had some pretty funny parts, but I found that it lacked originality when being compared to first one. I didnâ
  60. Jun 18, 2011
    predictable, not as funny as the last,a cheesy factor was added(not funny), monkeys arent funny anymore either, + bad acting worst movie ive seen this year
  61. Jun 26, 2011
    It's clear this film was made simply to make a large heap of cash. If you enjoyed the first film, you shouldn't enjoy this one. Even the always great Zach Galifianakis can't save this mess.
  62. Jul 6, 2011
    The second time around Hangover Part II brings nothing innovative to the table. The comedy and the gags are remarkable but the plot is completely recycled from the first movie and that makes it a bit off putting which makes this review a mixed one... I love the humor and the shocks and thrills but at the end of the day, I could have saved myself the 13 dollars and simply re-watched theThe second time around Hangover Part II brings nothing innovative to the table. The comedy and the gags are remarkable but the plot is completely recycled from the first movie and that makes it a bit off putting which makes this review a mixed one... I love the humor and the shocks and thrills but at the end of the day, I could have saved myself the 13 dollars and simply re-watched the first one from the comfort of my own home. Decent acting and directing, but nothing to get overly excited about. Expand
  63. Jul 5, 2011
    Bland and unmemorable, this movie simply rehashes the first in form and content. I can recall laughing, but I can't recall at what. A blackout of a movie, it's as if its entertainment value has been been omitted from my life.
  64. Jun 23, 2013
    The acting of Cooper and Helms as they express frustration and anger in some scenes was terrific and a realistic human reaction with somewhat restrain. However, some faults with the movie include the negative portrayal of transsexuals, as the film suggests that trans women aren't really women, just "men with boobs". Overall, the irritating low brow humour provided by Chow, combined withThe acting of Cooper and Helms as they express frustration and anger in some scenes was terrific and a realistic human reaction with somewhat restrain. However, some faults with the movie include the negative portrayal of transsexuals, as the film suggests that trans women aren't really women, just "men with boobs". Overall, the irritating low brow humour provided by Chow, combined with the characterisation of Alan, with his juvenile, indifferent, and nonchalant behaviour and actions causes other characters to be frustrated and leaves the audience with a hangover. Expand
  65. j30
    Dec 7, 2011
    The most depressing movie of the year. Not only are the laughs few and far between, you actually feel sorry for all the characters and not in a comical way.
  66. Dec 21, 2011
    There were several funny moments throughout the film, but overall, it was bland and quite dull. We've seen it all before on the first film, there's nothing original here. I tried to like it, but it just felt way too much like a re-imagining of the first, set in a different location. Funny, but not witty or clever.
  67. Dec 13, 2011
    It's one thing to use a similar formula and storyline. In a sequel, it's actually almost a requirement to do so. But that does not mean a movie should give us the same jokes. "The Hangover Part II" is so similar to its predecessor in every way that there is hardly a surprising moment in this entire film. The art of surprise is entirely what makes something funny in the first place. ButIt's one thing to use a similar formula and storyline. In a sequel, it's actually almost a requirement to do so. But that does not mean a movie should give us the same jokes. "The Hangover Part II" is so similar to its predecessor in every way that there is hardly a surprising moment in this entire film. The art of surprise is entirely what makes something funny in the first place. But since you can see mostly everything coming before it happens, the laughs end up being few and far between. Also some of the characters that were awesome in the original are just annoying here. Chow (Ken Jeong) continuously uses his obnoxious laugh, Stu spends the entire movie screaming, and Alan is just randomly stupid. The only character you can get behind is Phil. To make matter worse, the ending is truly painful and it reinforces that sense of deja vu you experience throughout the entire film. I understand that "Hangover" fans have to see this (I heard bad things before this and I still went), but after you see this sorry excuse for a comedy, head on over to "Bridesmaids" to get some real laughs. Expand
  68. May 16, 2015
    In spurts hits a high stride and is set-up to be even badder than the first one, but it's once the hangover begins when the movie began to lose me. The potential of a terrific continuation of a story becomes a lacklustre vision Todd Phillips excessively turns into formula; a storytelling disaster.
  69. Feb 11, 2012
    "Do you like money? Of course you do! You like to have money, and you also like to spend money. But, a certain old cliche says that you can't have both, so you're going to have to be earning enough money to at least keep you in profit and out of debt. Now making money is a pain; all that hard work you have to put in! What if there were an easier way? Well, let's just say that,"Do you like money? Of course you do! You like to have money, and you also like to spend money. But, a certain old cliche says that you can't have both, so you're going to have to be earning enough money to at least keep you in profit and out of debt. Now making money is a pain; all that hard work you have to put in! What if there were an easier way? Well, let's just say that, hypothetically, you had the opportunity to make a large profit by exerting minimal effort. Then your dilemma would be solved, would it not? So, if the easiest way to earn money is to just rehash your own original idea and market it as something new, why wouldn't you? That way, everyone has money, and everyone is happy!" - Todd Phillips on the making of The Hangover Part II Expand
  70. Jun 8, 2012
    We've been told before to touch not the things that are without fault. Altering that which is already awesome could be a risky act, but repeating it could be even worse, because it shows no diligence and bravery. "The Hangover Part II" resembles its 2009 predecessor so much that it's probably more appropriate to regard it as a remake, than as a sequel.
    The extent of the similarity between
    The extent of the similarity between the two "Hangover" movies suggests hungry wallets for its makers. When the script is hurried, the shooting will be also. Paychecks are rewarded earlier, and audiences are left to watch a meaner, dirtier, and more offensive version of the same movie. There is a significant increase in violence, coarse language, and public display of privates. To warn viewers that are more sensitive, I would specify which organs to expect, but the setting of the film is Thailand, and if there's one thing I learned, it's that we can never be sure of what we see.
    The setting is in Thailand because Stu's fiancée, Lauren, is from that country, and her parents wish that the wedding is to be held there. Phil, Alan and Doug join Stu, which later leads to a beer at a beach with Lauren's little brother, Teddy. The next morning they uhm... forget it. You know the drill. Our heroes wake up with a lack of memory and a series of questions, and from this point on we are tasked to listen to conversations we have all heard before.

Read more here: http://localmoviereview.com/the-hangover-part-2-movie-review/
  71. Apr 25, 2015
    here's a reason why Groundhog Day doesn't have a sequel. Comedies built around a high concept may be great for one go-round, but when you try to replicate their USP you’re liable to end up with Home Alone 2: Lost In New York. The makers of the mega-grossing The Hangover have chosen to ignore this rule. The result is this pale Xerox of a movie, which sticks so closely to its predecessor’shere's a reason why Groundhog Day doesn't have a sequel. Comedies built around a high concept may be great for one go-round, but when you try to replicate their USP you’re liable to end up with Home Alone 2: Lost In New York. The makers of the mega-grossing The Hangover have chosen to ignore this rule. The result is this pale Xerox of a movie, which sticks so closely to its predecessor’s blueprint that it plays out more like a remake.

The 2009 original was Very Bad Things via Memento, a cleverly structured dumb comedy about a stag night that wittily skipped the 'good stuff', piecing together the specifics of the debauch like CSI: Las Vegas. For the follow-up, director Todd Phillips has made the logical decision to re-locate to the one place seedier than Sin City: Bangkok. Through a hazily sketched-out set-up — dentist Stu (Ed Helms) is set to wed a non-mail-order Thai bride (Jamie Chung) - the gang are reunited and set loose in another mean metropolis. Except where the first film pinballed from surprise to surprise (hooker! Tiger! Tyson!), here the screenwriters have settled for tapping 'Find & Replace'.

There's another creature, in the shape of an impish monkey in a Rolling Stones jacket that’s probably not official merchandise (note to all involved: animals smoking aren’t funny). There’s another sex worker, in the form of a stripper with a secret that would make Alan Partridge go, “A-ha!”. There are more Kanye West music cues, another travel-show montage over the opening credits, a second bride-to-be, a further big speech from Helms at the end… All this recycling might be a conscious choice, but it results in a caper that’s listless where it should be anarchic.

The humour’s even raunchier than before, leading to some cringily funny vignettes, most involving lunatic loudmouth Alan (Zach Galifianakis) or preening crime lord Mr. Chow (Ken Jeong) — although the much-discussed tattoo-artist character, who was to be played by Mel Gibson/ Liam Neeson and is actually played by Nick Cassevetes, is disappointingly only there to deliver exposition. But where the film succeeds in making Bangkok look like a sleazy, decrepit hellhole, it seems less concerned with finding actual jokes. One plot-strand involving Paul Giamatti stands out as being particularly devoid of laughter and thrills.

A Get Him To The Greek-style spin-off with Alan at the forefront might have been a better way to capitalise on the Wolf Pack’s chemistry. Instead, we’ve ended up with one very padded Thai adventure.

According to Phillips, the 'Part II' in the title is a nod to the second Godfather, which matched the genius of its forerunner. Ironically, his own sequel offer is one you should refuse.
  72. Jun 12, 2015
    The gags are an exact retread of the first film (same situation different setting) except they are mostly unfunny where as the first film was hilarious don't see this movie it is a complete cash grab.

1. Reviewed by: Ian Buckwalter
    Jun 1, 2011
    It's not that Part II is bad, exactly. If "The Hangover" had never existed, this movie might feel funnier than it does, if not quite as freshly hilarious.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    May 30, 2011
    The Hangover Part II isn't a dud, exactly - some of it is very funny, and there are a few memorable jolts and outlandish dirty moments. But it feels, at times, like a routine adventure film set overseas.
  3. Reviewed by: Nick Schager
    May 30, 2011
    If The Hangover was a boorish blackout fantasy for our binge-drinking age, The Hangover Part II is something like the contents of a fraternity house's toilet the morning after an insane kegger-namely, regurgitated elements of a more entertaining prior adventure.