The Hangover Part II

5.6

1. May 28, 2011
    The best part of the first movie is also the best part of the second film: the photo reveal during the credits. Absolutely hilarious. I jumped out of my seat a couple of times to the chagrin of my crime partners. The rest of the movie is good, just not nearly as new and fresh as the original - which is to be expected. It's not the Empire Strikes Back of comedies. It also doesn't have asThe best part of the first movie is also the best part of the second film: the photo reveal during the credits. Absolutely hilarious. I jumped out of my seat a couple of times to the chagrin of my crime partners. The rest of the movie is good, just not nearly as new and fresh as the original - which is to be expected. It's not the Empire Strikes Back of comedies. It also doesn't have as many plumb supporting roles as the first. The lack of Mel Gibson in the tattoo artist scene leaves a gaping hole where some laughs should have been. And the cameo toward the end (no spoilers) was almost painfully unfunny. What salvages the movie is seeing more of the Wolfpack and Chow. On another note, how does this girl from the Real World San Diego keep getting roles? First Sucker Punch and now this? She doesn't seem to bring much to the table. But hey, to her credit, she's one of two actresses to emerge from that show with any semblance of a film career. Expand
  2. Jun 2, 2011
    Very entertaining and hilarious...but very similar to the first movie. It was as if they made the script from the first movie into a Mad Lib, and just replaced a few words to write the script for Part II. All you have to do is replace tiger with monkey, missing tooth with tattoo, Vegas with Thailand, roof with....well, I don't want to give the whole thing away. I wish the script wasVery entertaining and hilarious...but very similar to the first movie. It was as if they made the script from the first movie into a Mad Lib, and just replaced a few words to write the script for Part II. All you have to do is replace tiger with monkey, missing tooth with tattoo, Vegas with Thailand, roof with....well, I don't want to give the whole thing away. I wish the script was more innovative and more of a twist on the original, rather than copying it, but it was still funny and entertaining nonetheless. I'm still glad I saw it. Expand
  3. Mar 21, 2012
    Fun to watch, however, what made the original Hangover so good was the surprise element throughout and the wackiness of Galifianakis. Neither of these elements are fresh in this sequel and as a result the makers felt they needed to push the bar to new extremes, but perhaps pushed it a couple of clicks more than I would have liked them to.
  4. May 31, 2011
    The first one was surprising: madcap situations, wacky characters and outrageous humor. The sequel is more of the sameâ
  5. Jun 4, 2011
    Like Caddyshack 2 and Animal House 2 and _______________ (pick another studio-driven comedic cash cow) 2, the second Hangover was sentimentally funny and all too forgettable (except The Crying Game allusion...well done there, boys). That said I laughed my ass off a few times and, once again, hardest of all during the closing credits. It was essentially the same template as the first, but ILike Caddyshack 2 and Animal House 2 and _______________ (pick another studio-driven comedic cash cow) 2, the second Hangover was sentimentally funny and all too forgettable (except The Crying Game allusion...well done there, boys). That said I laughed my ass off a few times and, once again, hardest of all during the closing credits. It was essentially the same template as the first, but I had a couple of beers and popcorn all ready, so I knew what I was getting into. Expand
  6. Jun 3, 2011
    The makers of the Hangover have accomplished the seemingly difficult task of creating a film to rival the aforementioned Las Vegian laugh-fest in both quality and originality.
    The Hangover Part 2's opening scenes will initially spark fears that it will be nothing more than a Zach Galifianakis show, with nine tenths of the gag material coming from him. And despite Galifianakis' impending foray into the comedic elite, multiple hours of just this clueless and inappropriate hilarity would inevitably become sickening.
    Nevertheless, once the 'wolfpack' are thrown into their 'hangover', this film picks up where their last one left off. The colourful and erratic nature of Bangkok is the perfect contrast to the setting of their previous wild escapade and the suitably action-accompanied plot line moves along with the velocity of a steam train. However, what is particularly appreciable about this film is the resistance by Phillps et al to not transverse complete rationality - despite gunfights, car chases and drug-dealing monkeys, the basic premise of this film remains within the relative boundaries of reason, particularly when considering the foundations for this film: being part 1.
    The Hangover Part 2 is by no means a masterpiece. It is the film that fans of its predecessor want to see, and the creators could not ask for more than that.
  7. May 26, 2011
    Maybe its because I'm biased about The Hangover franchise, in a positive way, because the original is one of my favorite movies of all time, but the new addition to the series shouldn't be getting a grade in the 40's. Yes, it is a much crueler and darker film than the original and everything feels the same, but "The Hangover: Part II" is better than the dumb, crap comedies that HollywoodMaybe its because I'm biased about The Hangover franchise, in a positive way, because the original is one of my favorite movies of all time, but the new addition to the series shouldn't be getting a grade in the 40's. Yes, it is a much crueler and darker film than the original and everything feels the same, but "The Hangover: Part II" is better than the dumb, crap comedies that Hollywood produces on a daily basis. Newcomer, Mason Lee who plays Teddy, Stew's new fiance's younger brother, gives a flat, half-assed performance. And at points, I didn't even want "the Wolf pack" to find him when he went missing. I was sort of happy he was gone from the whole crowd. Also in this new addition, Alan seems more or less mentally handicapped in this film and after the first few of his jokes, you just start to feel bad for him, the humor is very dark and vulgar and there is no sign of heart or just any sign of human compassion in Part II. I'm not saying Part II is a bad movie, but none the less, I'm not saying its a great one. There aren't many quotable lines while the original was probably the most quotable movie of this generation, and the movie isn't very memorable. But, on the other hand, for the time being, it is consistently funny and while it is a little disappointing, it's a fine prequel to the last of the series, Part III, which hopefully starts Pre-Production in the next few months. By any means though, Part II doesn't deserve all of this critical bash it's receiving but it will please the fans for the time being.
    All in all, Part II is a meaner, cruder and much more vulgar remake of the original that is fairly funny and we'll entertain anyone in the theater, it'll just be that and will hold fans' attention spans long enough until the final part of the franchised is being released.
  8. Jun 21, 2011
    I gave the original a 9, but this one just falls short. They basically remade the first one and though I laughed pretty hard a couple times, most of the time I was bored.
  9. May 30, 2011
    Much has been said about the fact that they reused almost the exact same formula for the plot on this second go-around. The truth is, for this second installment of the Wolf Pack franchise, the formula works-it's the jokes that don't hold the film together. The film begins like a comfortable pair of shoes. The film looks great, the characters are still interesting, but soon you find thatMuch has been said about the fact that they reused almost the exact same formula for the plot on this second go-around. The truth is, for this second installment of the Wolf Pack franchise, the formula works-it's the jokes that don't hold the film together. The film begins like a comfortable pair of shoes. The film looks great, the characters are still interesting, but soon you find that this pair of shoes has some holes in it. One would imagine that finding jokes in such a foreign land for the Wolf Pack would have been easier, but the filmmakers went for shock value rather than actual belly laughs this time. The memory sequence with Allen was actually one of the more clever moments in the film because the comedy came from what we already know about the character, not by showing us human body parts in different combination. I did not have a terrible time with Hangover 2, I just expected more from a trip half way around the world. Expand
  10. May 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is part 2? of thought it was a remake of the original so really it should be named 'The Hangover 2011'.
    At the start I thought they were making reference to the original with the phone call and the wedding but as it 'progressed' into the film I realised that I was watching the exact same film for the same amount of money. Trust me the whole film it just the same plot. The 'Wolfpack' get drunk, they lose somebody, they make a deal to find somebody, the deal goes wrong, etc.. it's all the same. (N.B: I am required to hide spoilers although if you saw the original thats basically a major spoiler)
  11. Jun 3, 2011
    Hilarious movie but had all the same jokes and whatnot. The real disappointment, for me, with this sequel is that I definitely won't be seeing it more than once. I can always pop in the original whenever I want and still find it equally funny. Unfortunately, I won't be seeing this again. Definitely worth seeing once, though.
  12. Jun 4, 2011
    When all is said and done it is more raunchier than its predecessor and manages to serve up the same level of laughs yet it lacks on what the first one succeeds in, which is the mystery angle.
  13. Jun 8, 2011
    The Hangover 2.0 would have been a better name, because though this movie is very good, it is essentially a new version of the original. Same plot, same jokes, and the same idiots. While it IS repetitive, it is in no way bad. In fact, it is just as amusing as the original. Just less shock if you saw the 1st.
  14. Jun 20, 2011
    This my review for the movie. I thought that I would be too long so gave you a link instead. Hope you enjoy!
  15. Jun 24, 2011
    It is clear that the concept would be the same, is what makes the movie a bit predictable, and sometimes no fun. Despite this, the jokes were not repeated (well for that). 6
  16. Jul 6, 2011
    Same guys , Same situation , New city ... The wolf pack is back for the same old wild goose chase around town searching for yet another missing compadre .. Just imagine a more dirtier and funnier Hangover Part 1.. and also, throw in a drug dealing monkey into that chaos and u'll get the picture. Stu and Phil's characters were kinda overused ... Nevertheless Chow and Alan (who was moreSame guys , Same situation , New city ... The wolf pack is back for the same old wild goose chase around town searching for yet another missing compadre .. Just imagine a more dirtier and funnier Hangover Part 1.. and also, throw in a drug dealing monkey into that chaos and u'll get the picture. Stu and Phil's characters were kinda overused ... Nevertheless Chow and Alan (who was more stupid than usual) kept the comedy running .... but the magic we saw in Las Vegas is defnitely gone ... Expand
  17. Jul 18, 2011
    Very disappointing in comparison to the original. I squirmed in my seat as it dragged on and on. Hopefully this means there will be no Hangover 3. Save your money!
  18. Aug 9, 2011
    Despite having the exact same formula as the first one, it's unoriginality is saved by the pretty consistent comedy. It is head and shoulders below the first though.
  19. Nov 23, 2011
    Hangover Part II is like an Asian version of part I ! Every plot is the same . part one was good but not near awesome and this one far far away from being awesome . some jokes were funny but others were disgusting . is it so hard to write a different story . also this story sucks more . the one and the only positive thing that kept me till the end was Cooper ,Ed & zach's amazing actingHangover Part II is like an Asian version of part I ! Every plot is the same . part one was good but not near awesome and this one far far away from being awesome . some jokes were funny but others were disgusting . is it so hard to write a different story . also this story sucks more . the one and the only positive thing that kept me till the end was Cooper ,Ed & zach's amazing acting .they just nailed it..i give five out of my 6 point to them .
    Todd said he will make another sequel ......and if the plot is the same i don't think i am gonna wast my time .
  20. Aug 23, 2011
    Il fallait s'y attendre, Very Bad Trip 2 est un véritable copié/collé du premier...en moins fendard. Malgré un début prometteur, le film arrive à nous sortir des gags un peu lourds ou qui tombent à plat. Mais franchement, cela suffit largement pour déclencher les fous rires attendus avecIl fallait s'y attendre, Very Bad Trip 2 est un véritable copié/collé du premier...en moins fendard. Malgré un début prometteur, le film arrive à nous sortir des gags un peu lourds ou qui tombent à plat. Mais franchement, cela suffit largement pour déclencher les fous rires attendus avec des moments comiques d'anthologie.On se fend la gueule avec ces personnages toujours bien interprétés et c'est déjà ça! Expand
  21. DND
    Oct 29, 2011
    It is still the same Hangover with its nice jokes and pretty unpredictable plot but the first part was totally better, that's all. This time Zach Galifianakis makes everything to save the sequel. There's a whole of boredom, you're searching it and you can find it, well, yes, there is some..
  22. Sep 2, 2014
    "Oh, you are having a bad day. Did you die?" - Mr. Chow

Not as good as the first in the series, but it still makes you fun.

************************
  23. May 30, 2013
    The first Hangover movie was wonderful. I have to say I was less than impressed with the second. It was more of the same, just in a new location. It did have its moments, and the actors were still great!
  24. Jun 11, 2013
    Didn't like it actually. I laughed but if you think about it, it was a waste of time. I know they are laughable and the actors are great, but it was predictable not like the first film. I hope the 3rd one is better because Ghalifianakis must be the best comedian in the world right now and i really want to laugh like i did in the first film
  25. Jun 25, 2013
    This movie was funny, no doubt about it, yet i don't think it's perfect.

1. It literally IS the first movie, the same setup the same payoff and same revalations that are all solved at the end of the movie. 2. The comedy is much Darker, depending whether or not you like that, some parts for me literally had me thinking this is just... insane but genious. Some part of me says people
    This movie was funny, no doubt about it, yet i don't think it's perfect.

Some part of me says people have been to judgemental of this film, i'm thinking this is gonna be the modern "National Lampoon Vacation" series, something also makes me wonder what would happen should THIS film have came first.

Nevertheless I didn't care, i loved the movie and considering all these REALLY unneccesary sequels being made at the moment this one wasn't either BUT IT WAS MADE RIGHT.

Final Verdict: Try and review it as this is the only movie, if you like it you do if you don't you don't, personally i think it's missing all the surprise of the first one, but i still considered it good for what it's worth.

"Phil... I'm scared".
  26. Jan 8, 2015
    The Hangover Part II is a 2011 American comedy film produced by Legendary Pictures and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. It is the sequel to 2009's The Hangover and the second film in The Hangover trilogy. Todd Phillips directed the film in addition to co-authoring the script with Craig Mazin, and Scot Armstrong. The film stars Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Zach Galifianakis, Ken Jeong,The Hangover Part II is a 2011 American comedy film produced by Legendary Pictures and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. It is the sequel to 2009's The Hangover and the second film in The Hangover trilogy. Todd Phillips directed the film in addition to co-authoring the script with Craig Mazin, and Scot Armstrong. The film stars Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Zach Galifianakis, Ken Jeong, Jeffrey Tambor, Justin Bartha and Paul Giamatti. It tells the story of Phil, Stu, Alan, and Doug as they travel to Thailand for Stu's wedding. After the bachelor party in Las Vegas, Stu takes no chances and opts for a safe, subdued pre-wedding brunch. Things do not go as planned, resulting in another bad hangover with no memories of the previous night. Expand
  27. May 27, 2011
    The Hangover, Part II is not what you expected to see, but not nearly as good as the first movie. I don't think that movie will not be the best sequel and even though the scenes are not that bad, the characters are that bad, the cinematography is not that bad, it's the story has the same plot as the first one. I just wonder that why are doing all over again and why do they do same issueThe Hangover, Part II is not what you expected to see, but not nearly as good as the first movie. I don't think that movie will not be the best sequel and even though the scenes are not that bad, the characters are that bad, the cinematography is not that bad, it's the story has the same plot as the first one. I just wonder that why are doing all over again and why do they do same issue all over again. The scenes could be funny sometime, but it's very vulgarly nasty and too tedious to see. Expand
  28. Dec 17, 2012
    Not much to say about this film. It
  29. Jul 26, 2011
    It seems like Horrible Bosses has taken over to look something forward to as a sequel. This movie lost its luster on this part II. Hangover 1 was just amazing. There was a lot of stupid sexuality that just wasn't funny. Using the monkey for jokes just does not work unless your audience is younger (which it clearly can't be with all the other sexual stuff in this movie).
  30. Jun 10, 2011
    Not nearly as funny as part 1, which till date its considered one of the funniest movies of all time. This sequel ripped off everything part one was made of and duplicated the plot, jokes, and premise. Its basically how The Hangover 1 SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN DONE. Lack of creativity and some boring slow parts made this one a lack luster movie, DVD material. Hangover 1 is still king.

1. Reviewed by: Ian Buckwalter
    Jun 1, 2011
    It's not that Part II is bad, exactly. If "The Hangover" had never existed, this movie might feel funnier than it does, if not quite as freshly hilarious.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    May 30, 2011
    The Hangover Part II isn't a dud, exactly - some of it is very funny, and there are a few memorable jolts and outlandish dirty moments. But it feels, at times, like a routine adventure film set overseas.
  3. Reviewed by: Nick Schager
    May 30, 2011
    If The Hangover was a boorish blackout fantasy for our binge-drinking age, The Hangover Part II is something like the contents of a fraternity house's toilet the morning after an insane kegger-namely, regurgitated elements of a more entertaining prior adventure.