8.1

1. Jan 16, 2013
    I loved the Hobbit. Great casting and well written. A lot of laughs and still quite a bit of action in there for the Adults. While I've never been a 3D fan before at all, the effects in this film were EPIC. Go and See this film. See it in a cinema, and pay the extra for the 3D version. You won't be let down unless you want the film to be word perfect to the book... and that might be asking just a little too much. Expand
  2. Jan 16, 2013
    I saw this in 2D and intend to see it again in HFR 3D
    It was beautifully shot - naturally - and while 3 movies were probably not necessary I don't think it has detracted from the film. Adding the content from the appendices in LTR has allowed Jacko to make another trilogy and IMHO it just extends the Middle Earth Universe further.
    Very good, and looking forward to Smaug in part 2
  3. Feb 3, 2013
    A film with such a big budget and all kinds of spectacular special effects and with a running time of 3 hours on purpose should not feel so long and boring at parts. Maybe it is affected by the previous trilogy, but it feels like we have seen it before. It is still great but without that surprising point it becomes tedious when the film is 1 hour and a half in. It feels like a contrived journey. But it becomes interesting in the last hour again once the most loved creature by the public finally appears and steals the show for a long while.
    Many other films with long running-times released in 2012 are way more interesting, impacting, emotive and feel shorter than what they are: Django, Les Miserables, Skyfall, Dark Knight Rises and more.
  4. Jan 23, 2013
    Peter Jackson is a master of direction. His cinematography is colorful and artistic, the effects by Weta Digital are great as always and the score has that same wonder and excitement as the LOTR films did. It was a refreshing movie to watch after seeing Red Dawn last and wanting something actually above average and if I'm to believe the movies are to be like the books then Hobbits 2 is going to be even better then the first. Expand
  5. Jan 23, 2013
    It was a great movie. Not as dark and not as serious as LotR, and Martin Freeman is a brilliant and humorous Bilbo. I liked this first part, Peter Jackson's take on Thorin was good and as for Bilbo, we can see the transition from respectable country esquire to adventuring burglar. Top notch, clearly, and looking forward to the next instalment.
  6. Jan 24, 2013
    This film was visually stunning, but the plot was a little weak and as well as the overall choice of dialogue. The introduction was well paced. I didn't think it was too fast or slow. But it seems like the dwarves were saved at the last minute every time: the eagles, the elves when heading to rivendale, and Gandalf after being captured by the goblin king. Additionally, the presence of random humor used by the goblin king as pointless. Expand
  7. Jan 24, 2013
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is Peter Jackson's epic prequel to The Lord of the Rings films, and after seeing this adaption of the first part of J.R.R. Tolkien's book, I can honestly say I am excited to see the future films. I was scared to see what they would do with this film because there is so much hype leading up to it and we expect something as great as the The Fellowship of the Ring, but now I can take a deep breath and relax because I actually was given a really fun movie. I didn't feel it matched the Fellowship in terms of of its storytelling, but what I think most people need to realize is that The Hobbit book was not as dark and as The Lord of the Rings books, so I always expected that this wouldn't match the other films. Most people were scared that this film would become the next "Phantom Menace" and ruin the legacy of The Lord of the Rings, but in my opinion this movie only adds on to the enjoyment of the old movies and also gives us a new trilogy to be excited for. That being said, this movie did have some issues that I had a problem with. Most of it was the little things such as the overdose of CGI, the slow start, and even making Radagast the Brown a really embarassing person to watch. All this were not big problems and th movie is still great, I just personally would've done it differently. Peter Jackson has returned to Middle-Earth and has shown me that he still knows exactly what he is doing. He has a vision for this film and I was glad that he gave it a lighter and happier tone like the book. The action of this movie will bring back some great memories because you can feel the grand scale of the battles and brilliant cinematography just like in the Lord of the Rings. The final hour of this movie is filled with some great action and memorable heartfelt moments that Peter Jackson is a genius at presenting. The Lord of the Rings trilogy are my favorite films ever made, so you can only imagine how excited I was to see this. So after seeing An Unexpected Journey, all I can say is that this is one great film that has me excited to see the rest of its trilogy. Expand
  8. Jan 25, 2013
    One of the best movies i've watched in my life as I am a huge LOTR fan. Peter Jackson made this movie in New Zealand which brings out the lovely nature and hills in the movie. It is a fun movie to watch and is an absolute masterpiece.
  9. Mar 30, 2013
    Before watching this movie, I had never seen any of the lord of the rings movies. I was totally new to the whole "middle earth" universe, and I loved the hell out of this movie. It's filled with great characters, amazing adventures, beautiful landscapes, and awesome action sequences. Some of the special effects are a little dodgy, but that's one of the only complaints I have. (Note that I watched this at home in 24 FPS and no 3D) Don't listen to the critics. Expand
  10. Jan 27, 2013
    The movie is a masterpiece. The "new additions" makes the classic story even better! People complaining 'cause its 3 parts? Really? Who wouldnt like to have more running time from 'Lord of The Rings' saga? I'm starting to think people just don't like prequels at all, even if it as good as the originals.
  11. Mar 23, 2013
    This is one of the few movies I wanted to see in the theatre, but skipped it cuz I was just too busy..and now after watching it on blu ray with all the hype gone I must say, best movie I've seen all year..hype kills movies these days..every movie I've waited to watch on blu ray has allowed me to view it on its own merits instead of stacking it up against hundreds of other big budget movies we've seen in the past 20 years..same thing happened when i watched Total Recall and Lincoln Vampire Hunter..critics and fans alike all seem to hate movies that don't innovate to the point of reinventing the wheel..what about just being a well executed and fun movie Expand
  12. Jan 30, 2013
    Obviously, if you're a die-hard LOTR fan, you wouldn't love this movie. If you're not, it's still an enjoyable movie. It's easier to understand (since it is the prelude to the LOTR series) and it's action-packed, heart-felt, and comedic. It has all the necessities to be a hit at the box office. It's worth the watch.
  13. Jan 31, 2013
    I went to this movie thinking that I would be bored half way through. I really liked the first three but I thought it would just be more of the same. But to my surprise I ended up thoroughly entertained. Peter Jackson was able to take what made the first three so awesome and greatly improve upon that formula. Not only that I thought the actors in this movie did a much better job especially the actor who played bilbo baggins. I can't wait to see the other two coming out I am more excited about their release than I was the original trilogy. Expand
  14. Feb 5, 2013
    It was the kind of adventure I was looking for. It had the same feel as the Fellowship of the Ring. I'll admit the ending could have been more conclusive as FOTR but I never thought it would make the movie that bad. Maybe I can understand a little how others might dislike it. In my opinion, t was good.
  15. Feb 6, 2013
    Peter Jackson has taken his liberties with Tolkien's works before, but it is hard to hate this movie, despite the little things that drive Tolkien purists crazy. I am curious to see what is going to be added for the Bluray release...
  16. Mar 17, 2013
    great movie, that is length wise the same as lord of the rings. focusing more on a character and his well adventures. but the overall story seems more about dwarves trying to reclaim their lost kingdom...sometimes i get confused to who is the main character, thorin or bilbo. do the characters seem overpowered..or the orcs ARE overwhelmingly stupid as they were made to be. the fight scene between the dwarf and that orc leader was hilarious fail. gandalf does nothing in the early parts so just an old guy walking around with a stick basically. there are some familiar faces in this movie from the lord of the ring movie series. the movie is a bit long, but fills up time with great visuals. it doesn't have that dark antagonist, like smeegul in the lord of the ring series, that would add some nice twists to it. Expand
  17. Feb 7, 2013
    Bilbo's story, though not without thrill, is much more lighthearted then "The Lord of The Rings" so don't expect to see a lot of doom and gloom or giant armies slugging it out. Unfortunately the Peter Jackson doesn't strays from the novel a lot in this film which, in my opinion, ruined the story a little.
  18. Feb 8, 2013
    The Hobbit was an incredible film. It was beautifully done and expertly crafted. So I will adress the complaints I have been reading.
    Action Sequences like Pirates of the Caribbean: Yes, this movie was chock full of action, but what do you expect from a Jackson movie. The man loves a good fight scene. However, I do no think these were like the scenes from Pirates There are a number of
    exciting battle sequences and they are actually scenes that will leave you on the edge of your seat, unlike the happy go lucky Pirates movies. Return to middle earth: For those that were not properly prepared for the movie, Jackson made it clear that this movie would be incorporating much of the simmarilion and other Tolkien works. He is trying to flesh out the world more than he could with the original trilogy. That being said, he wants to introduce people to the world around them and tie it together. Hence the cameo by frodo in the beginning.
    My only problem was with the goblin king- far too comical. In the book he seemed quite ruthless and downright scary. Not in the movie.
    But overall, two thumbs way up for a happy return to middle earth on the big screen.
  19. Feb 15, 2013
    This is a must see. The critics have no idea what they are talking about. If you liked the Lord of the Rings movies, you'll love this. If you didn't see the Lord of the Rings movies, you'll still love this.

Case in point My GF has never seen the Lord of the Rings movies, hates fantasy stuff with a passion; I took her to see the hobbit, and she gives it a 10 score simply based on the story.
  20. Feb 24, 2013
    I am a loyal fan of the pre movies and just relating was pretty cool but this was not a really exciting film the Orcs were not as disgusting as before in terms of appearance and it almost appeared to be on stage like a PLAY in other words WE NEED NOT RE EVENT THE WHEEL.
  21. Mar 2, 2013
    I found that if you decide to view the movie as a movie, of itself, and not compare it to the novel or the Lord of the Rings film trilogy, you will get a lot out of it. I did that and was able to realize that I’ve never seen a more believable fantasy world. I’m 19 but when sitting in front of the big screen I got to feel like I was ten years old again, like watching the dark crystal or star wars for the first time. This movie is the most beautiful movie I’ve ever seen. It has an applicable, sentimental message coupled with a classic fantasy-adventure premise, fun, new characters, familiar old ones, a beautiful original soundtrack, exiting action, and bold, impressive visuals that made me question the value of CGI. This is one of those rare films that has the power to bring you a little out of your depression, a little like Ferris Bueller’s Day Off or the Goonies. It has enough movie magic to feel timeless I’m sure that after people’s biases wear down a little over the years it will be recognized for what it is; an imaginative masterpiece epic that’s never quite been captured this believably or beautifully before in cinema history. It’s so finely made, it seems to make some people uncomfortable. I absolutely loved it. It is one of those films that if it plays on a screen in the corner of a crowded public area, it still somehow absorbs your attention, and you have to at least stop and watch it for a few seconds, whenever it’s on in my home, that’s exactly what I do, I can’t help it. Critics have done it a severe injustice, I can detect no outright flaws with this film, if there are flaws, they’re so inconsequential to the films strengths they’re not worth mentioning. People who dislike this movie fly first class to Hawaii for free and complain about the expiration date on the peanut packages. There’s no shame in admitting beauty, it isn’t over-hyped, it’s fantastic and deserving of all praise. People who dislike this film are not at one with their inner child and probably hate Disneyland and don’t have kids or have altogether forgotten what it was like to be a kid, that’s how I feel about people who talk bad about this movie. Movies don’t get more magical than this, it’s perfect for kids, and the inner-child in everyone. Expand
  22. Feb 26, 2013
    Take note George Lucas, this is how you start a prequel trilogy. Fat gags aside, The Hobbit is everything the Lord of the Rings was: personal, stylish and charming yet simultaneously epic. Jackson includes enough familiarity, in the form of phenomenal cast, location and soundtrack, so fans can settle right back into Middle Earth as though they never left. Yet he also brings enough fresh material to give the film a good pace and structure. Expand
  23. May 7, 2013
    I was disapointed when i left the theater after this movie.
    * The dwarves look absolutely rediculous, i doubt their budget for the costumes were that strained to justify their awfull appearence. They really do look like they fit in at a high school theater production.
    * Who are the dwarves? I dont know really, none of them got to show their personalities to any greater extent. Did they
    even say anyhing? If it was anything important or intresting i guess it was drowned by all the dumb and childish punchlines.
    * They sure like running alot, did they even fight at all? I dont remember, i really dont. After a while it all just felt like watching someone play a computer game.
    * I liked Radagast though, but thats probably because he's just like me :P
  24. May 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. now just to be clear i haven't read the book and i have no intention to do that so i wouldn't know what the story should be.
    i do think that some of the scenes were a little bit too long it's like watching the extended edition when you're NOT.
    however i think the bad reviews are related to not following the book
    also the big hype and the fact that everyone was expecting an epic battle at the end just like the trilogy
    NOW leaving all that aside you can see that you have another great movie by Peter Jackson with spectacular contents and i think that the vision will improve A LOT after watching the rest of the series.
    even so the movie still solid and earn my spot for top 5 best movies of 2012.
  25. Apr 29, 2013
    Not as good as any of The Lord of the Rings movies but still a lot of fun. If you go in comparing this film to The Lord of the Rings films it's about a 6 but as a stand alone it deserves an 8.
  26. Mar 19, 2013
    It's one of those hyped movies that I might only remember because of the hype. If this story wasn't written by Tolkien, and Gandalf wasn't in it, this movie would've passed by as 'a better than average movie'.

Quite a good movie i certainly did enjoy- but somewhat slow.
  27. Feb 25, 2014
    These are just not my type of movies. I did enjoy some parts of the Lord of Rings and this one just is not as good. Characters are not as memorable and the journey is not as good as the Lord of the Rings, but maybe this will change in the next two. Something else that annoyed me is that just when we think one or some of them are going to die, they are saved by something ridiculous and makes you wonder why doesn't the wizard just use his powers all the time to protect them? Just a thought. In the end I would have rated this movie lower but due to the incredible special effects I gave it 54.5/100. Expand
  28. Mar 29, 2013
    The idea of producing three films based on a medium-sized book seemed quite absurd at first. However, the amount of detail, accompanied my the beautiful visual works of Peter Jackson, makes this film work and better lays the foundation for there to be more films. Personally, I'm glad to be back in Middle Earth for another adventure!
  29. Apr 8, 2013
    Capturing the mood of the Story is very important and Peter Jackson isn't spot on this time. 'The Hobbit' is not a very serious highly complicated story. The Lord of the Rings was one. The Hobbit is not. Peter Jackson tried to make the movie sound like it's a very serious movie. It is not. The Hobbit is like an excursion that is rather dangerous and a burglary, exciting feel should run throughout the movie. Peter Jackson, on the contrary, tried to make it serious high fantasy. It's high fantasy, all right, but it's seriousness is not something to be openly exposed. Expand
  30. Apr 10, 2013
    The best movie on earth was called the Hobbit and I recommend everyone this movie and but it and hope you have the chance to read and watch it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  31. Jul 5, 2013
    I am addressing the following post to all those who hated The Hobbit. Die. Go and die a horrible, horrible death. I can understand that some people aren't into fantasy and the Middle Earth universe, but that is no excuse for hating such an excellent film. A big complaint about the film is that it's being dragged out, and that a 300 page book is to small for three 2.5h+ films. They are making them this long because they want to include the appendices from The Silmarillion, so that it's explained better for someone who hasn't read the books. Another big complaint was that there was too much CGI. And to this I say, some films are made of nothing but CGI, and yet nobody bats an eyelid at them. Also, the CGI gives a lot more potential to the films, in the fact that you couldn't have a giant goblin with a scrotum beard without CGI. Everything looks a load more like you're in a place where not everything looks like a human, and that the other races in middle earth don't have to have the same features as man. Also, the complaint about all the gimmicks, to do with 48fps and things, that's understandable, but don't hate the film over it! It's like if a game released a below average DLC, and someone stopped playing the game over it. Just don't use it if you don't like it! Also, some people complained that it is too slow, and to that I say this. Django: Unchained had a runtime of 180 minutes, WHICH IS LONGER THAN THE HOBBIT. And for me, Django dragged on, The Hobbit FLEW by. And the final complaint was that it wasn't as good as Lord of the Rings. Just to clarify, The Lord of the Rings has been considered as one of the greatest cinematic achievements of man, and The Hobbit hasn't even had the other two films in the series released yet. So, if you see anyone online, or in real life, who is debunking or saying this film is terrible, just send 'em this post. And tell them that "Gay" Isn't a valid criticism. Thank you for your time. Expand
  32. Apr 20, 2013
    I bought this version for my 3-d blu-ray player and I must say that it was impressive to watch in 3-d. The world was alive and had the familiar feelings that The Lord of the Rings had. This movie was a lot of fun to watch and if you are a fan of TLOTR series, you will not be disappointed. The movie did get a bit long, but it was to build the story and provide all of the necessary back story to make the rest of the movie flow. Very good film. Expand
  33. Apr 23, 2013
    This is a quick review of the non-3D Blu-ray Disc edition of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. The Blu-ray Combo Pack comes with 2 Blu-rays, 1 DVD, and UltraViolet copy of the film. The Blu-ray resolution at 1080p and 24fps (frames per second) looks really smooth and sharp. The Hobbit was filmed on the Red Epic camera, with widescreen aspect ratio is 2.40:1, and the conversion to Blu-ray could not be better (with the exception of a couple scenes that seem a bit dark). Audio is also really great in DTS-HD Master Audio surround sound. As far as extras, for a quick Blu-ray release the edition does contain quite a few extras including 127 minutes of video blogs (in HD), trailers (in HD), and a 7-minute featurette "New Zealand: Home of Middle-Earth" (also in HD). Overall this is one the best Blu-ray releases so far this year. Expand
  34. May 19, 2013
    Most critics say that this film does not reach the height of lord of the rings, but the film was not made for it, it just is a lighter version of the previous trilogy, once again uses cutting-edge special effects but with a story focused the diverse world that Tolkien created, ie Lord of the Rings was focused on a single goal, and that much friendlier to clarify the other things that are in the books, and the result is satisfactory. Expand
  35. Apr 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An excellent work from both PJ and his Weta which beyond my imagination. Different from LOTR in genre, the Hobbit is an Adventure but not an Epic. While they all rank the top marks in the field of Fantasy Movie! Expand
  36. Apr 26, 2013
    I loved every second of it, except for a few shamelessly obvious (i.e., lacking in subtlety) bits. Like Jackson's LOTR trilogy, The Hobbit's CGI is superb (unlike 99% of films that rely on CGI) and its hair/makeup, production design, and visual effects would have been worthy Oscar winners. I also appreciate the film's thematic reverence for nature, which ironically and unfortunately is at odds with the production's real-life abysmal treatment of some of its animal actors.Oh well, nature lovers should definitely see it anyway, but let's hope the production team learned its lesson this time. Highly recommended, and looking forward to the next two installments. Expand
  37. Jul 25, 2013
    I am a huge LotR fan, just putting it out there, and when I heard there would be a Hobbit movie I was so happy, but that came with a grain of salt. I had doubts that Peter could present us this children's book in the same style, tone and mood that he did with LotR, and he didn't. This movie was trying so hard to be a fun kid's adventure movie but every time a scene from the Silmarillion and Tolkien's reimagined Hobbit occurred it was so distant from the merry old adventures of the dwarves. Anyhow onto the good, this film is a visual treat, the acting is superb and I really felt like I was back in middle-earth only it was much happier and more colourful! Gollum/Smeagol was incredible to watch and I loved seeing all the nods to Fellowship and the rest of the trilogy. Totally worth a watch! Expand
  38. May 21, 2013
    Another great job for Peter Jackson, his managed to give The Hobbit charm of LOTR, great storytelling that fits perfectly to one of the best trilogy of all time! The only my problem with it how they portrayed Radagast! Overall it's must own
  39. Jul 22, 2013
    Bilbo definitibamente es poco entretenido y algo estupido a una excepcion la pelicula guarda exclentes efectos y la originalidad al 100 sin embargo solo BLA BLA BLA Y ganas de ZZZzzzzz
  40. Apr 28, 2013
    I was pleasantly surprised by this film. Even though I had really enjoyed the original Lord of the Rings trilogy of films, I suspected that this adaptation would feel too similar to those, and could feel like 'money for old rope'. However it felt fresh enough, and actually quite nice to return to Middle Earth. Martin Freeman was magnificent as Bilbo, who is hugely more likeable than Frodo in the original trilogy. The special effects felt familiar, but somewhat improved; the part with the Stone Giants in particular was spectacular. I have to say I did roll my eyes once or twice (Eagles to the rescue...again), but all in all I was captivated for the whole two and a half hours. Roll on the next part! Expand
  41. Apr 30, 2013
    I really have enjoyed the LOTR movies; having read the books first though, I can't offer more than a 7. It's a good adaptation, but some add-ons are kinda meh while some things left out are making me go The Heck??? All in all, a decent movie, but if you have to have it right, be ready for some weird crap.
  42. Oct 6, 2013
    You can see its high production right away but this first part of the story was kinda boring I mean there is not that much going on and the dwarfs have no personality or depth to them (was it really necessary to put that many dwarfs in the movie?). Well I hope the next part is better.
  43. Nov 20, 2013
    Fantastic film. The perfect adaptation of a beloved children's book. Top notch acting, great special effects, tons of fan service from Peter Jackson, brilliant scenery and atmosphere. You really feel like you are in Middle Earth taking this epic journey. I cannot wait for 'The Desolation Of Smaug' and then 'There and Back Again'. Do not let the naysayers and foolish critics put you off this amazing film and soon to be, amazing trilogy. There main complaints are about the length and the beginning (which is fine and actually breezes past because of how awesome and loyal to the book it is). Some people just have the attention span of a spoon I tell you. Expand
  44. Jun 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. (contains minor spoilers) It was a good film. Ian McKellen, as always, was great as Gandalf. The dwarves, while not really expanded on at the individual level besides Thorin, were enjoyable. I liked how they added the White Council and the looming return of Sauron. Also solid was the performance of Martin Freeman as Bilbo. However, the villains were sub-par in this film. I did like the trolls and goblins, but the CGI orcs were just bad. The LoTR orcs were wonderfully done, but these were terrible to look at. On the plus, Andy Serkis stole the show as Gollum in his brief appearance. It's a very good movie, though not on the level of its predecessors, and the ending set up nicely for the next installment. Expand
  45. May 23, 2013
    Hobbit is a very interesting and enjoyable film from start till end and any Lord of the ring fan would not want to miss this charming and mesmerizing journey.
  46. Jul 18, 2013
    The Hobbit does suffer from some pretty severe pacing issues, but (apart from its opening 45 minutes) is a gripping and welcome return to middle earth, that will definitely improve as we adjust to the new tone and feel of 'The Hobbit.'
  47. May 19, 2013
    As a big Tolkien fan and LOTR movie fan, I felt betrayed after leaving the movie theater. The moment I heard Del Torro was going to direct it, I was a bit disappointed. And it felt good to know that in the end Peter Jackson was going to direct it. Now that I think of it, I'm sure it would have been a better idea to let Del Torro direct it....
  48. Jun 29, 2013
    Exciting film with good action and acting, however, parts of the storyline seem pointless and I think the film drags more than it needs too. As a Lord of the Rings fan I was let down a bit by this film, but definitely worth a watch.
  49. Jun 3, 2013
    The Hobbit was the best movie of 2012. It was simply perfect! Packed with memorable characters, plenty of laughs, action packed battles, and plenty of heart, The Hobbit is 3 hours of non stop fun! The music is also amazing, and the Misty Mountains Theme is superb.
    The acting is top notch- Martin Freeman, Ian Mckellan, and Richard Armitage particularly stand out. Among the dwarves, Ken
    Stott as Balin and James Nebitt as Bofur do terrific performances. Nesbitt's charm, wit, and accent lend Bofur a great character! I also loved Graham McTavish's portrayal of Dwalin as a tough, Scottish, ass kicking warrior.
    The Hobbit also had the best action scenes of 2012. The battle of Moria was superb, and goblin town was a roller coaster of excitement and horror. I also really enjoyed Radagast and thought he was a great edition to the story!
    The Hobbit was a cinematic masterpiece, and was in my opinion completely on par with LOTR!
  50. Jun 6, 2013
    Do NOT compare this film to LOTR. It is entirely a different story and a different meaning. LOTR is about the ultimate Good vs. Evil Battle. This is a journey that isn't as severe. This film excels. Peter Jackson's long awaited return to Middle Earth does not disappoint.
  51. Jun 7, 2013
    People my hate me but i loved this film much more than lord of the rings. If you loved lord of the rings and haven't seen the hobbit yet please give it ago because its awesome!
  52. Jun 11, 2013
    This film was epic. I liked it much more than the first Lord of the rings and Peter Jackson did a great job in this one. Great photography and make-up. Should have won that oscar. You will like it if you liked the trilogy of The Lord of the rings
  53. Jun 17, 2013
    I hear a lot of people complaining over and over again about the length of these movies and how they are split up. If any one has read this book, including the majority of Tolkien's work, especially The Silmarillion. You would understand that Peter Jackson is doing this the best way for people who haven't read it. He is trying to explain as much as he can in 3 films. As for the film itself, it was amazing. Elements of the animated film were seen which was a nice touch, just like in the LOTR and the characters were phenomenal. All the acting was just as good as the The Lord of the Rings, if not better. As such, Peter Jackson has done right by the books, and I think if Tolkien were alive today, he would be proud to have seen this movie. Can't wait to see the last two. Expand
  54. Jun 18, 2013
    Welcome back to middle earth my friends.
    The Hobbit is the long anticipated film that takes place 60 years before Lord of the Rings, the acclaimed trilogy directed by Peter Jackson.
    In The Hobbit we follow Bilbo Baggins, a Hobbit who lives in the Shire, a mystic place where people sit around smoking pipes and eating food. Bilbo is visited by Gandalf the Grey, a wizard who invites him to
    go on an adventure with 13 dwarves to kill a dragon that has destroyed their homeland.
    Now Bilbo, like many Hobbits, does not like to partake in these kind of things. The dangerous world of middle earth is no place for them. But, in a fortunate 30 minutes of screen time, they convince him and we have our journey.
    Right off the bat I just want to say that the Hobbit AUJ is a long film. Just about as long as Fellowship of the Ring. However, in fellowship, a lot more happens. I wont knock The Hobbit down any points for dragging on because, while it does do so, there is plenty of more material to see during these moments. You get to meet the dwarves, who are fun and eccentric. You also get to see Sir Ian McKellen as Gandalf again.
    Martin Freeman and Ian McKellen do great, especially Freeman. He makes Bilbo more three dimensional than before.
    And Thorin? He’s a wonderful character with a great back story who really shows leadership over the dwarves.
    Sure there are a few forgettable dwarves in the movie, but for the most part they are interesting characters with colourful personalities.
    If I were to nitpick anything (minus the argument over 40fps) is that this film has a lot more CGI. So much so that it really just takes you out of the experience. There were many scenes where I was like
    “They got over a thousand extras for Helms Deep but had to CGI those 8 guys?”
    It is kinda upsetting and really seems unnecessary at points.
    But other than that, the film is great. It was cool to see the battle at Moria, I love how it’s told, I love the build up, I REALLY love the attention to detail, and I surprisingly love Radagast the Brown.
    and the ‘Riddles in the Dark’ sequence? Yeah, talk about chilling.
    There’s really not much else to say here, if you love LotR you’ll absolutely love The Hobbit AUJ. If you love film in general you will, for the most part, enjoy The Hobbit. Although, you may be annoyed by the FPS and many of the drawn out scenes.
    If you hated LotR and everything it stood for then dude, stay as far away as possible, this will not change your mind. In fact it will most likely strengthen your hatred.
    But for me, I enjoyed it. While I believe it was not perfect, it left me in great anticipation for the sequel.
  55. Jul 17, 2013
    Loved it. It captured the essence of the Novel well. I loved how they had some dialouge practically (if not exactly) verbatim from the book (The Exchange between Gandalf and Bilbo in the Beginning). Young Bilbo ws cast perfectly with Freeman and I adore all the dwarves At your Service I absolutely cannot wait for the next installments. The Hobbit was more light hearted than the LOTR but was in no was a Children's Book as some negative reviewers said. Also the "Bloat" that was not in the novel was from the appendices. It irks me when reviewers have utterly no idea what they are talking about when it comes to plot. Expand
  56. Aug 31, 2013
    Epic!!! I have to say that I liked it more than The Lord Of The Rings. Actually, I prefer Bilbo. Frodo was not as good as his father. I am waiting like crazy for the next chapter of the trilogy.
  57. Jul 10, 2013
    Despite being a visual masterpiece the Hobbit suffers from side plots which draw us away from the main objective.

The casting was spot on. I couldn't find fault with any of the choices but there was very little depth in many of the characters because so much else was going on. I do like the way we see Bilbo's character grow from start to finish and his relationship with Gandalf.

Not
    a failure by any means but there's a lesson to be learnt here that less is more. Expand
  58. Jul 15, 2013
    While it may have some great performances in there, along with some visually dazzling sequences, this film still feels overly long and stretched out. It does not come close to matching with Lord of the Rings, it still is a enjoyable film. The action is fun, the story (once it gets going) is fun and the scenes with Radagast the Brown were my favorite. The music is done well along with the cinematography. This film is enjoyable, but lacks in originality and the timing should have been trimmed down a bit. Expand
  59. Jul 24, 2013
    This movie is exiting as well as action-packed. It does take around 30-40 minutes for the adventure to actually begin which can be annoying. However it is worth the wait as the "unexpected journey" is great and worth watching. This movie doesn't exactly follow the book but I would still recommend it to fans of the book
  60. Aug 1, 2013
    A very well done adaption of a classic book. Not as good as LOTR but still very enjoyable, Although it may be a little to childish for some people, But I personally can't wait for the sequels.
  61. Aug 18, 2013
    Being a fan is irrelevant. There is nothing about this movie that doesn't excite anyone. The script was well-written, humorous and fresh. The movie was visually pleasing. The characters were interesting and unique. The soundtrack brought tears to my eyes. Again, there is nothing not to love. Everything Peter Jackson touches turns to gold, in the form of an Oscar!
  62. Dec 13, 2013
    A very nice movie with a great epic battle,a cast of different characters and a lot of lighthearted and funny scenes.I watched it because every friend of mine told me that it was better than the Lord of the Rings and they were right.This movie is way better than the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
  63. Jan 5, 2014
    I can't rate this any higher than a 6. The film is deviating from the book just a bit too much for me to enjoy it. For those of you that enjoy a good action movie set in Middle Earth, this is for you. If you care about the lore and any backstory whatsoever, don't watch it as it has too many details that aren't supposed to be there.
  64. Oct 23, 2013
    The brilliant settings and action spectacles of "An Unexpected Journey" do not make up for its lack of characterization, thematic unity, and emotional force. From the protagonist, the plot demands a sense of initial self-alienation which should eventually lead to the recovery of the self in others; while present, this seemed more like an afterthought than something gluing the film together.
  65. Oct 1, 2013
    Why are half of the film's reviews complaining about running time?
    You don't watch a movie for the purpose of seeing it end.
    If you have that kind of mindset, obviously you're going to "fall asleep" yeah, I'm looking at the fool(s) who gave this film a 0.
    A score of 0 is more deserving for actual terrible movies like Jack Black's "Year One". Reviewer Peter Travers is obviously
    uninformed and had the gall to state:

"48 frames per second… Couple that with 3D and the movie looks so hyper-real that you see everything that's fake about it…"

Idiot! More than 90% of the film was done in New Zealand. Uninformed prick...
    And the first hour of the film isn't even boring...
    It actually is very humorous and charming!
    PLUS IT'S THE FIRST MOVIE OF A PLANNED TRILOGY!
    YOU CAN'T EXPECT AN ARRAY OF ACTION!
    There are film's like "Social Network" where they have minutes of utter drab and unrelated content like teenage partying, yet get more positive reactions in compared to "The Hobbit".
    Half these film critics around the world suck-ass at writing a real review.

"The Hobbit" is an example of movie-making at its finest executing an adventurous atmosphere and a defining script. Coupled with its various environments, familiar faces and its set of new ones, the film stands as an artwork of its own; one many other movie-makers should aspire to do. It's witty, epic and innovative; a movie worth watching again and again...
  66. Ogr
    Dec 25, 2013
    The new Hobbit Movie is out for a while, so I tried to watch the old one again, to get into it. I kinda liked the books, even if I don't think that they are as great as everyone says, I prefer darker and more serious fantasy like SoIaF. Still I thought this movie could be pretty nice, as I love the landscape... and yes, New Zealand's landscape is the best of The Hobbit. Singing dwarves and a stretched boring story, sometimes it's a real torture to watch this movie. The good thing is that my TV has a mute function and I can enjoy watching the scenery. Sorry, I don't want to troll around here, but this movie is so bad except for it's modern technology, I had to write it down. Expand
  67. Oct 27, 2013
    altought it isn´t in the level of the lord of the rings trilogy,it is still a good film,for an prequel this movie have a great story,the special effects are great and it can be a revolution just like the lord of the rings were.
  68. Nov 14, 2013
    A gorgeous movie delivering an unforgettable adventure! It impresses with it's huge scale of breathtaking forests and mountains. While the story is slightly predictable, it stays fresh with the great dialogue, well-developed characters and superb voice acting.
    The plot sometimes doesn't quite excite with it's slight predictability, but The Hobbit it's still an immersive and a deeply
    enjoyable film (Final Score: 8.55) Expand
  69. Oct 30, 2013
    A perfect recreation of the Tolkien's world. It's excelent in all the aspects: direction, interpretation, script, soundtrack, etc. And the "guess game" with Bilbo and Gollum is a masterpiece.
  70. Dec 3, 2013
    Perfect movie. The cast was awesome, the dwarves were hilarious, Thorin was awesome, the fight scenes were intense, and the ending was emotionally satisfying. It wasn't slow or boring at all. All in all, this was an amazing, entertaining, funny, exciting film. Great job, Peter Jackson!
  71. Dec 12, 2013
    Peter Jackson combine with j r tollkien makes a very good imaginative partnership though un expected journey is the first chapter before Lord of the rings to tollkien fans the movie brings far more imagination in the middle earth
  72. Dec 14, 2013
    Great film, however not as good as the lords of the rings trilogy. Can be slow paced. Some scenes are not needed and are just there to increase the length, so as the hobbit being a trilogy is justified. This film is aimed more at younger audiences and families then the lord of the rings but is just as enjoyable and can be enjoyed by viewers of all ages. The main character, Bilbo Baggins is very likable and played with expertise by Martin Freeman, other standouts are Ian McKellen as Gandalf(also from the lord of the rings) and Richard Armitrage as Thorin Oakenshield, not all the other dwarves are not as fleshed out but they will be further explored in the other two films in the trilogy, coming in 2013 and 2014. Also has great visuals and futuristic 3D effects.

To conclude this is not as good as the lord of the rings but is a good starting point and is thankfully not another Phantom Menace. Wait for the sequels which should be an improvement from this and may even reach the standard that the lord of the rings set.
  73. Dec 28, 2013
    The Hobbit: and Unexpected Journey was everything that i had hoped for. I'm a a very big Tolkien fan and i have read a lot of his books, and i gotta say: this was amazing! a lot of Tolkien fans did not like it but that is probably because they expected WAY to much and wanted everything to be JUST like the book... well you just can't expect that from a movie adapted from a book, their need to be changes. the acting delivered was perfect especially from Martin Freeman. Expand
  74. Jan 7, 2014
    It's definitely not at the level of Lord of the Rings, and I"ll admit, there are some lines that I laughed at that I probably wasn't supposed to, but it was still entertaining. It was well-written, and the fact that it's more "childish" than LOTR is just because that's how the books went as well.
  75. Jan 5, 2014
    Slow, dill and boring. Was so disappointed with this as i loved lord of the rings! The action sequences seemed silly and almost pointless (stone gods anyone??) and hardly built on characters unlike the original. I knew about one of the dwarves names along side the obvious characters (bilbo and gandalf) and you need to build characters a lot more if they are all the same race! The dwarves had so little dialogue too you forgot half of them existed! Not really worth seeing unless you are die hard LOTR fan. Luckily Desolation of smaug was great! Expand
  76. Feb 14, 2014
    Peter Jackson's new take on the Lord of the Rings like always contains vivid scenes of animation but fails to make the film anymore than a simple adventure story.
  77. Mar 4, 2014
    It drags quite considerably, but technically and musically, it's just great. Full to the brim with nostalgic scenes and references and an unsurprisingly great Freeman as the Hobbit. Not as grand and heartfelt overall as the LOTR series, but I felt the same with that first installment too, so here's hoping it improves!
  78. Mar 29, 2014
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was a great film. I enjoyed it very much. I really wish people would see what the trilogy is. I believe that Peter Jackson is making The Hobbit into a Trilogy so that it may live up to The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, not just to make extra money. So while this first movie may only take up a fraction of the small Hobbit book and add things that may seem unnecessary, AUJ was very good. Expand
  79. May 18, 2014
    Some great scenes in this movie, that I will remember for a while. Not as good as the second Hobbit movie though. It started off really well by introducing all of the main characters well as the movies take place before LOTR. There are some great battle scenes in this movie, and a scenes with a song that I really loved. It was a really long movie but I think every scene was needed in it.
  80. May 3, 2014
    What did Peter Jackson in this film is no small thing! He was able to make epic a tale for children, and playing with the narrative by inserting the apparitions, in my opinion, very apt and not at all out of place !
    The film lasts about three hours, but not boring in the least , and also distracts from the hassles of 3D ! It 's true , the scene at Bag End is a bit long and slow , but at
    least I have followed with great pleasure , it was also a good way to learn about the dwarves , and not having a blurry image! Many complain that the dwarves are too clumsy and stupid , well Gimli in the previous trilogy did not seem much different , coincidentally the comic he was angry with Pippin and Merry ! Also, it seemed like the right choice to give the film a touch of zing , considering that the story does not have the same magnitude of the previous trilogy ! Yes, because the story is not deep and eclectic as that of the Lord of the Rings , but we say more childish and playful , it is an air of terror and fear, at least not until Bilbo finds the ring !
    The direction of Jackson 's mammoth as always , the same applies to photography and script! To define the beauty of the scenery , maybe there is not even a term that enhances 100% !
  81. May 4, 2014
    Aweful, just plain aweful. one of the most boring movies I have ever seen... and I love lord of the rings so this movie was a huge huge let down. Hobbit 2 and 3? count me out
  82. May 10, 2014
    My enjoyment of this movie was somewhat marred by the fact that that I was constantly aware that Tolkien's novel was emphatically not supposed to be a fantasy epic. It is a charming book about the development of a group of dysfunctional individuals (thrown together by the machinations of Gandalf) and especially the development of the eponymous character from a homeloving 'respectable' hobbit into a resourceful adventuring hero. The movie was a heavy-handed travesty of the story; Peter Jackson (and presumably his backers) are obviously just interested in a cynical rehashing of the Lord of The Rings trilogy. Of course, that too showed Jackson's leaden touch, especially in the last sixty minutes of The Return of The King. Minas Tirith miraculously rebuilt, instead of showing that the rebuilding was going to happen as a result of those reforged alliances and friendships between dwarves, elves and men begun in The Fellowship Of The Ring. Not quite 'Hollywood' enough, I suppose? And these long, travestic final scenes left no room for the 'Battle of the Shire' at the end of the book where four once commonplace hobbits returned home as seasoned heroes to kick Saruman and Wormtongue out of the Shire. Jackson doesn't pay much attention to character; he seems interested only in action. No doubt Jackson's new trilogy will win lots of Oscars again: money for old rope. I for one cannot, in all conscience, rate An Unexpected Journey any higher than 2 out of 10. Expand
  83. Jun 25, 2014
    A great action, adventure, fantasy film. Improves on the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and is less dark, sad, and violent. It's well balanced between non-exciting moments to exciting moments. Has some good parts for comedy and laughs. Has a rat gripping storyline, jaw-dropping CGI and awesome action scenes. A great film for everyone, and an absolute must see! And must see the sequel!
  84. Jul 15, 2014
    Welcome back to middle earth my friends.
    “They got over a thousand extras for Helms Deep but had to CGI those 8 guys?”
    It is kinda upsetting and really seems unnecessary at points.
    and the ‘Riddles in the Dark’ sequence? Yeah, talk about chilling.
  85. Aug 14, 2014
    The opening chapter of Peter Jackson's second Middle-earth trilogy is a bit of a mixed bag, but the bag itself is gorgeous. The scenery, the set design and the special effects (mostly) dazzle, and the 48fps theatrical release was, for me, a game-changer of a visual experience (YMMV). The ensemble cast (both old and new) is uniformly good, and Martin Freeman is absolutely perfect in the title role of a thoroughly domesticated hobbit pushing middle-age, who finds himself uncharacteristically swept away on an adventure. The film doesn't precisely follow the beloved children's tale it's adapting (though the first 45 minutes or so is just shy of reverential), but many of the changes are understandable, and work to make the movie more accessible. I have no idea why Jackson decided to change this from a "quest" into a "chase," but Azog makes a pretty decent bad guy.

There are really only two issues that keep this film from getting a higher score from me, and they're both hard to ignore. First, of course, is the length. When I heard that Jackson was turning this slim novel into a trilogy, I still never imagined that each film would be pushing 3 hours long. The LOTR movies could get away with this, because they had so much story to tell, but this one feels a bit padded.

The second problem, which runs throughout the film, at least after it leaves Bag End, is the overwhelming about of computer graphics. One reason the first trilogy was so well accepted, even by non-fantasy fans, is how grounded it felt, with lots of real locations and practical effects. This film moves away from that trend, perhaps because Jackson has a substantially larger war chest to play with. Goblin-town is particularly egregious. The Great Goblin looks fantastic, and so does Gollum, (who continues to steal all his scenes), but the rest of it just feels fake, more like a video game than a movie, especially the escape.

Overall, this is an enjoyable adventure film, and a fun, if flawed, beginning of moviegoers new foray into Middle-earth.
  86. Jul 28, 2014
    "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" is many steps down from the Lord of the Rings. It is, of course, very different as a book, and it is not right to compare it to the previous Middle-Earth installments. The film was marketed as a prequel to Lord of the Rings, though. "The Hobbit" is a children's book and is very good at what it is. "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey", however, gets lost while trying to give the story a more "adult" tone, with more violence and more darkness (through extra material and lots of unrealistic CGI). The result is a confusing blend of humour and drama that makes the purpose of the film unclear. There are many enjoyable scenes, of course, but it lacks the quality of both the book and the LotR films.

There is also the problem of the film being too long and having too little to say. I didn't quite understand why it had to be split in three movies, except for profit reasons. A not-so-long book cannot support three 3-hour-plus films, and it is no surprise that, with "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey", some may feel like watching a 20-minute episode on TV in slow motion.

It is watchable, even enjoyable, but no great film.
  87. Aug 7, 2014
    Excellent movie Series..!! thanks a lot for making an extra ordinary movie :) you have really worked hard as well as amazing. hope to watch an unfinished tale as well.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer