8.1

1. Jan 6, 2013
    Everything that I expected and wanted! A movie made for people who love the books. I don't like how the critics say that the movie is drawn out because they are the same ones commending the LOTR movies for their ability to tell a detailed story. The cast of dwarves is perfect, they portray the characters exactly the way Tolkien wrote. I'd argue that Freeman played the role of Bilbo better than Wood ever played Frodo; s always Sir McKellen was superb. The only criticism i have is Jackson's decision to change the orcs to CGI. Expand
  2. Jan 6, 2013
    'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' beautifully showcases Tolkien's magical world of fantasy creatures, lands, and adventures. The effects might just be the best ones I have ever seen in a movie, the plot is bold and simple while remaining enjoyable and gripping, the characters are beautifully presented and overall I have almost no negative comments on this movie.
  3. Jan 6, 2013
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is not what I 'expected', it was indeed an 'unexpected journey' I went on when I saw the film. As a big fan of The Lord of the Rings I forgot that the books were maybe written by the same Writer but where not meant for the same audience. I was expecting an en epic fight with the same dramatic quest to save the world but what I saw were (like in the book) just the beginning and the base of what will become my favourite movies and books. The Hobbit is a good movie and I thank God that they decided to include several other story's from Tolkiens Middle-Earth into it but this movie is not always appropriate for children (like the book), Peter Jackson also tried to make it appealing for teenagers and young adults and to be quit honest he failed on that part. He should have gone one way or the other but not try to mix a children's book with the style from LOTR. Still, the visuals are perfect, I saw the movie in 3D/HFR and was blown away by it! I saw Middle-Earth as I never saw it before and I can't wait to see the next part(s)! The Score was epic and I loved how they brought some elements from the LOTR score into the score of The Hobbit to give us this nostalgic feeling. Expand
  4. Jan 5, 2013
    Amazing movie, don't listen to the snot-nosed, pretentious critics. I enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed the Fellowship of the Ring. There are some liberties taken with the source material but it is for the better as it makes a more entertaining movie.
  5. Jan 4, 2013
    I have to agree with what a lot of the other "user" reviews are saying about the "critic" reviews. This movie is a LOT better than the scores the critics gave and it feels almost as though the review was centering around HFR and not the film itself in most cases. And as far as the film itself goes, I felt right back at home in Middle Earth. In fact it was even MORE fun because I felt as though I was *really* back in Middle Earth due to the amazing 3D filming. This is the first 3D film I've seen where I actually liked the fact that the film was in 3D. It was comfortable to watch really engaging. I watched it in IMAX 3D, had a great time and would recommend it to anyone who was a fan of the originals, a fan of the books, or is just looking for a reason to see a movie in theatres that doesn't suck. The critic reviews are wrong on this one. Expand
  6. Jan 4, 2013
    I'm DON'T the hell understand why the Metascore so low... The movie is AWESOME. I enjoy every minute, every second. It's the best film I ever watch. 3D technology... it's magic. Thanks Warner Bros. you let us see a Tolkien's world!
  7. Jan 4, 2013
    This is nothing short of the beginning of new Lord of the Rings trilogy, and that's basically the best fact ever, and a total reward to those who love TLOTR. It's all here: the music, the spectacle, and a few returning characters of course. My gripe is that the story isn't pushed along fast enough by the action. Meaning, after a battle not much has changed, and on to the next battle. But enough complaints! I'm back in the world of TLOTR! Expand
  8. Jan 3, 2013
    The critics are smoking their socks! I loved this movie, as I did the Trilogy. It obviously has a completely different feel to the LOTR trilogy in the sense that the general atmosphere isn't all doom and gloom. The emphasis is on adventure, and an adventure is exactly what the film delivers. The fact that the book has been split into three films means that the movies are more detailed than ever. How any of these critics can say that the movie is drawn out I have no idea, I felt the film was well paced and as a result it completely draws you in. Disregard the critics score on this one and substitute it with the user score, simple as that. Expand
  9. Jan 3, 2013
    Saw the movie tonight. After reading the first reviews here on MC and seeing a trailer I was worried if I would dig it, but now I can say I enjoyed almost every minute of it! The relatively slow pacing in the beginning made it even more enjoyable as a whole for me. If you like the material and take time, it's definitely worth it.
  10. Jan 3, 2013
    After so many years in production hell at MGM with serious doubt over these films happening at all, The Hobbit finally hit our screens, and quite a hit it was.
    If it is at all possible NOT to see Lord of the Rings before you see the new prequel trilogy then do so, because as enjoyable and entertaining as the Hobbit was, it simply wasn't LOTR.
    We clearly see from the beginning of the
    "Unexpected Journey" that these are much simpler times in middle earth, set sixty years prior to LOTR, we see Bilbo almost unwittingly setting out with a set of dwarves led by their King, Thorin Oakenshield, to reclaim the Lonely Mountain, forcibly taken from them years before from the dragon, Smaug.
    An unneccesary forty minutes or so of introduction classes involving the dwarves, Bilbo and the welcome return of Ian McKellan as Gandalf the Grey did seem long-winded, but thats what happens when you split a 310 page book into three films.
    What enticed me about this film, as i was watching the LOTR trilogy a few weeks later, is how Jackson has beautifully bounced them off each other to create an almost parallel world with no stone left unturned, little things such as the orc sword given to Frodo by bilbo makes an appearance, the trolls which are briefly seen in LOTR, simple little devices like this which take us down memory lane that can be effortlessly entertaining without relying too much on the past.
    This is exactly why The Hobbit is so different, it was an attempt to rely on itself and not the massive cultural impact of the LOTR trilogy, something which Jackson succeeded greatly on. It's light-hearted, often humorous and exceptionally beautiful to watch. 48 fps took a little adjusting to, but where this HFR really shines are the action scenes in "Goblin City". A particular scene involving Bilbo and the dwarves find them trying to escape a duel between two stone giants, which is simply breathtaking to watch.
    Arguably the greatest part of the film is the brief return of Gollum, who engages in a battle of riddles with Bilbo, and without any spoilers, a predictable but smile-on-your-face discovery is made from our dear Hobbit.
    Excellent performances from Ian McKellan as Gandalf, Martin Freeman as a young bilbo, Richard Armitage as the miserable and brooding King Thorin as the the head of the dwarves, and the dwarves in general, its no secret the rigorous time in effort which goes into creating these creatures so bravo to all involved.
    With brief appearances from Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving and Christopher Lee reprising their roles of Galadriel, Elrond and Saruman the White respectively, its wonderful to see familiar faces so utilized so brilliantly, but expertly placed to set up their own stories which we see in the LOTR. I thought Elijah Wood's appearance as Frodo, while cool to see, was simply unnecessary and to simple a paycheck to earn on Wood's part.
    Light-hearted, humorous, and excellent action scenes make this a stand alone film to be reckoned with, while not as engrossing and spectacular as its predecessors, this prequel stands on its own two feet and has set up what could be a roller coaster of a trilogy on an epic scale.
  11. Jan 3, 2013
    All I came here to write, is that to ignore the critic reviews on the left of the page, go see it yourself and judge from there. Sadly the movie has been slandered by the critics for god only knows. In my opinion, the movie falls more accurate to that of the user score.
  12. Jan 3, 2013
    The one thing the most reviewers dislike about the movie, it is that its longer than it should be, that its too long, that its watered down or that it has scenes that never happened in the book or that the scenes them selves are too long. For me however, it was the thing I enjoyed the most. I decided to avoid reviews for once, as reviewers and critics do not make movies them selves or not are the creative type to the height of someone like Peter Jackson. And I am glad. Its the experience that you take it in a small spoon at a time. Not like greedy ADD children that has to eat all the candy at once. More movies (in my opinion) should be made like this, to take in better the environments, the places, the characters, the setting, and the ambience like it should. Instead of having movies that flicker scenes as fast as a disco with drumb base music. Bravo! There is no better reviewer than your self, and you should also always learn to not hype your self like this critics have before watching, reading or playing anything. Expand
  13. Jan 3, 2013
    This movie is an amazing adventure! Peter Jackson put 100% in this movie. i don't whats with the low rating.. but that's just the critics. this movie is a must see!
  14. Jan 3, 2013
    After reading the strangely up and down reviews for this movie, I was very pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed this movie, and honestly haven't felt such a full movie-going experience since seeing the original trilogy in theaters. My biggest complaint was the insane HD look when seeing it in IMAX, I find that it looks way too real, stealing magic and warmth from the overall look and feel of the movie. Though the special effects were quite impressively real looking to fit in with hyper-real look. Otherwise, I found the story, acting, script, and overall film to be truly excellent. Certainly not perfect, but neither were those LOTR films, people. Expand
  15. Jan 2, 2013
    After almost a decade since the last adventure in Middle Earth, Peter Jackson shows us that he's still got it with The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. While I do not consider this to be as good as the almighty Lord Of The Rings trilogy, it's not trying to be, it's not trying to be another Lord Of The Rings film. The Hobbit is essentially a children's book that is more focused on fun and humour than the LOTR, and Jackson has translated that brilliantly into this film by staying incredibly faithful to the source material (even down to the songs the dwarves sing) and with a very strong script that has many laughs and sustains more of a lighter tone for the most part. Make no mistake though, this is definitely an epic fantasy film full of intense action, brilliant set pieces and great characters. The Hobbit himself : Bilbo Baggins is definitely the stand out due mainly to Martin Freeman's fantastic performance as the character, he completely nails Bilbo by brilliantly portraying the character's journey from the "playing it safe and avoiding trouble" attitude to the determined and adventure craving Bilbo we see in TLOTR, and I looking forward to see this continue in the next two films. The rest of the cast are also very impressive with Sir Ian Mckellan giving a brilliant performance once again as Gandalf the Grey and ofcourse there are the 13 dwarves who are all played well, look great and are great fun to watch on screen. The presentation of this film is incredible, I watched this in 2d and with the normal frame rate and I thought the film looked gorgeous, the direction, the cinematography and the special effects all came together to make this film beautiful and the soundtrack is also fantastic. However while watching it, I did feel that too much CGI was used at some points, I understand that they are not trying to make this film as gritty as TLOTR but there were times when I thought that practical effects would have looked better on screen, nonetheless the film looks incredible. The main problem with The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey for me is it's length. 2 hours and 45 minutes is a hell of a long time to show just one third of the story in the book and while I understand that Peter Jackson is using more source material than just The Hobbit book but I just felt that there could be half an hour in this film that could be cut for time. The beginning is where the film is at it's slowest, and while it delivers it's exposition very well, and the main characters are introduced in great fashion, by about half an hour into the film I felt like we've been spending a little too much time in the shire and it was time to get on with the adventure. There is also a seen featuring Ian Holm and Elijha Wood as older Bilbo and Frodo, while it was great to see Frodo again, there was no point to that scene and it just made the beginning of the film feel to drawn out. There are other scenes throughout the film that feel like they could have been cut and these scenes make this seem almost like a directors cut rather than the theatrical version of The Hobbit, and I think it's a case of Peter Jackson over indulging in this world. Once the film gets going, it reaches brilliance, the scenes involving Bilbo meeting Gollum were absolutely incredible and it's just things like that that made me feel like I am experiencing entertainment of the highest class. It has it's issues that are hard to overlook but overall, this is an excellent film that I highly recommend. Expand
  16. Jan 2, 2013
    I've waited so long for this movie, and there it finally is. The special effects are even better than the LoTR. And it has an even warmer feeling then the Lord of the Rings-trilogy. But I've to admit that there are some negative sides. The prologue has for a example a bit childish feeling. The humor and the characters sometimes feeling as they are picked from a Disney-movie. And secondly (an expected argument) is that the story less epic than the first trilogy. Over all is the movie very entertaining and I would recommend it to every LoTR fan Expand
  17. atc
    Jan 2, 2013
    Beautiful. Funny. Vast.

It was frustrating to see such low reviews on what I found was a fantastic recreation of a much-loved book. Visually more stunning than LoTR: sunrise pans, beautiful landscapes, fantastic props; unrivaled fantasy effects. Take the Rivendell: a stunning expanse with almost photo-like realism. The pace was well structured. A slower start to introduce the lore and
    the characters. Once that's done? It races much like an action movie. The fight scenes are always fantastic: well choreographed, weaponry of great detail. The beasts equally so.

I think what really "does it" for me is the fact that having read the fantastic books themselves and while musing away the hours imagining the artefacts -- from weapons to beasts, characters to landscapes -- the films live up to that wonderous world held inside my head. They are visually stunning, fantastically acted -- the two comical dwarves whose names escape me were not actually annoying and they were really well casted -- and well worth your money.
  18. Jan 1, 2013
    Is visually beautiful, strong and powerful, returning us to the Middle Ages so high, reigniting the flame of adventure as only Peter Jackson knows how to do, in the sense weak argument because I miss the thrill of a well-made ​​plot and only be a traveling group of dwarfs to return to rule their land.
  19. Jan 1, 2013
    I don't understand why so many critics gave this movie such a bad rating. It is a fun, enjoyable, exciting, movie. Filled with amazing scenes, including one particularly long and elaborate action scene and a very emotional scene at the end, this is a GREAT movie. Does not quite live up to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but is amazing nonetheless. Completely lived up to my expectations, especially since it got such bad reviews. I saw it in 48 fps, and 3D, and I found the visuals to be great- not nauseating at all. I did not see it in i-max, and if i were to see it again, which i am considering, i will definitely see it in i-max, 48 fps, and 3D all in one. anyway, if you have not seen it yet, do not be scared off b/c of the bad critic reviews- SEE IT. Expand
  20. Jan 1, 2013
    I don't understand why this isn't getting the best of reviews. I loved it, and cannot wait for "Desolation of Smaug" If this looked good to you and you were looking forward to it, then don't be turned away. I loved the LOTR series and I love "Unexpected Journey".
  21. Jan 1, 2013
    I must say that if you must not go in the theater to watch this film with Lord of The Rings in your mind. This film is absolutely different from the previous three films in LOTR trilogy. This film is not based on the victory over evil but it is a film that tells us about the lives of different races in Middle Earth. So,I must surely say that this film is a must-watch for you.
  22. Dec 31, 2012
    Please - pay no heed to soulless modernist critics who are dead inside and have no stomach for a film that is pure magic. I saw the film today, finally, and I went into the cinema with no small amount of trepidation after having read a number of less than stellar reviews. I need not have troubled myself. The film was a quasi-spiritual experience for me. It's perfectly enunciated themes of unashamed heroism, self-sacrifice, loyalty, nobility and courage were presented in a dazzling array of scenes that were filled with adventure and laden with meaning. It is clear that Jackson is using this trilogy as a vehicle to tell us not only the thrilling story of The Hobbit, but also a broader story drawn from the appendices from Lord of the Rings, painting a magnificent picture of the world leading up to the War for the Ring. I came out of the session totally speechless - and profoundly impacted. After having re-read some of the critic reviews I can only conclude that they have some philosophical bias that prevents them from giving Jackson the praise he so richly deserves; either that or there is some effort afoot to bring Jackson down, or prevent another Tolkienian conquest of popular media. It is true the values and subtext of the film speak strongly of traditional values - perhaps this is an unwelcome message for some. For me, it speaks directly to the human heart in a manner so powerful and so seldom achieved nowadays that it is all the more magical when it does happen. Truly inspiring, eye-opening, thrilling. I could go into details and try to explain just how wonderful it all is, how perfectly cast, how masterfully crafted... but words fail - just go see it. It is truly a masterpiece. Note: I saw the film in 24fps, 3D. No technical complaints whatsoever. Expand
  23. Dec 31, 2012
    Appalling from start to finish. Too many farts jokes. Who the the heck did Radagast make up job?? Looked like a really **** make up job??!! No??!!
  24. Dec 31, 2012
    You see I have watched all of the LOTR movies and I would say that the Hobbit is the best by far, it has better graphics , modern 3D , and it has good actors, overall I give it a 10-10
  25. Dec 31, 2012
    Although there were parts were it didn't seem right the overall movie was fantastic. It was as good or maybe even better than its predecessors. I recommend seeing this movie as soon as possible .
  26. Dec 31, 2012
    The hobbit is a great beggining to what looks like another great trilogy from jackson. It has everything in it that made the lord of the rings trilogy great story, action, drama, thrills and spills. the new and returning actors are all good and play there parts right and this should be watched by all lotr fans and everyone else and once again the critics have got it wrong. my only critisism is that not that much has changed since lotr. Expand
  27. Dec 31, 2012
    I love this movie. The only thing that most Tolkien complain about is that The Hobbit is stretched across 3 movies. Peter Jackson did add things to the story, but the things he added were in perfect alignment to Tolkien's original work. This movie was action-packed and entertaining. The story and actors were superb, and the graphics were without flaw. A must-see.
  28. Dec 31, 2012
    A masterpiece and after seeing it for the second time have to agree it's a bit better than Fellowship of the Ring. Don't be put off by the jaded critics there is a good chance that if you see this you will be dazzled and amazed.
  29. Dec 31, 2012
    Short and sweet: If you are a big fan of Tolkien and/or The Lord of the Rings Films, you will really enjoy this movie. Visually, it is absolutely breathtaking, but I can't recommend that you see it in the 48fps (High frame rate / HFR) 3D version ENOUGH. I saw it in HFR and IMAX and the HFR version absoluely trumped the IMAX version in every way. The story is light-hearted in nature but Jackson does what he can to add some drama and epic emotion to the tale. To that end, he is pretty successful, though the quality of writing in some few scenes is not superb. All in all, I had very high expecatations for The Hobbit, and I was not disappointed. Expand
  30. Dec 31, 2012
    Those who appreciate attention to detail from the book will love it. It does a great job of touching on all the high points of the book while giving a bit more exposition to certain characters. Yes some things have been embellished upon, but it's tolerable considering the wide berth of people this movie was made to accommodate. I mean, we are talking about what was basically a children's story being turned into a major motion picture. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer