8.1

1. Dec 23, 2012
    Although the film's first act may seem a bit sluggish to some, in my opinion "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" powers through it with plenty of humor, surprisingly well-developed characters, and an always-stellar amount of visual magnificence.
  2. Dec 19, 2012
    The Hobbit was a great film, it seems that people are complaining about the 48fps however i never found it to be a problem. "best movie I've ever seen about dwarves" - Simon Lane. I would have to agree. Watch the Hobbit now!
  3. Mar 26, 2013
    A lot of fans, including myself, were taken by surprise when reviews of An Unexpected Journey were mixed to positive at best. People questioned Jackson's decision to return to Middle Earth, and even more questioned the decision to expand the film into 3 films. Now that I've seen the film multiple times, I am confident that Peter Jackson is the only person I trust that can bring MiddleA lot of fans, including myself, were taken by surprise when reviews of An Unexpected Journey were mixed to positive at best. People questioned Jackson's decision to return to Middle Earth, and even more questioned the decision to expand the film into 3 films. Now that I've seen the film multiple times, I am confident that Peter Jackson is the only person I trust that can bring Middle Earth to life on the screen. An Unexpected Journey is a highly entertaining and satisfying tale but not without a few flaws. Two of the big problems I had with the film were the slow beginning and heavy use of CGI. This film takes its time in the early moments, but the film as a whole doesn't drag. The Hobbit relies heavily on computer generated orcs/creatures unlike LotR; I personally found the CGI to be poor at times, it really takes you out of the film during certain scenes.

Flaws aside, this is an entertaining adventure and fully satisfying return to Middle Earth. Jackson's vision remains the same, Ian McKellen, Cate Blanchett, Christopher Lee, Hugo Weaving, and Andy Serkis return, New Zealand's beauty shines, and Howard Shore's (excellent) musical score ties everything together by reminding us that we have in fact returned to ME. On top of that, Martin Freeman joins as Bilbo and we have a dozen dwarves to meet; not all of the dwarves are fully realized characters, but they're very entertaining and we have two more films to get to know them better. Freeman is the heart and soul of this film, I really could not have imagined a better fit for Bilbo.

2 films would have sufficed to tell this story, imo. As a fan of Tolkien, I enjoyed all the additions to the film, it really makes it obvious where the trilogy is going, but this first film suffers a bit because it lacks its own real narrative, but I am beyond excited for where the next films are going to go.

In short, The Hobbit 1 is not as good as LotR. It feels bloated at times in the beginning due to a lot of backstory/additions to the story and a strange dependence on cg effects, but it is a wonderful return to Middle Earth and will satisfy fans of the original trilogy.
  4. Dec 30, 2012
    Short of expectations. I've read the books and love the whole LOTR world that Tolkien has masterfully created for us all to enjoy. Also thoroughly enjoyed the original trilogy. That said, I cannot believe they are making a trilogy out of this one book (the shortest of them all!). Talk about milking it for all it's worth. Anyways, I digress... As for the actual movie: I watched this in theShort of expectations. I've read the books and love the whole LOTR world that Tolkien has masterfully created for us all to enjoy. Also thoroughly enjoyed the original trilogy. That said, I cannot believe they are making a trilogy out of this one book (the shortest of them all!). Talk about milking it for all it's worth. Anyways, I digress... As for the actual movie: I watched this in the normal 24fps since I had heard bad things about the higher framerate. And it was far too long!! Definitely could have been edited and cut down more. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get more time spent in the realm of Middle Earth, but this was simply excessive. I also feel like they were trying too hard to capture the same sense of the first three movies, and while The Hobbit's tale is definitely epic but it is simply not big enough to match the same level of the three main books so their attempts were futile. There were a lot of flashbacks and jumping around all over, so it can feel a bit disjointed. My favorite scene is definitely Gollum's part in the movie. Anyway, other than it being too long, trying too hard, and disjointed, I did like it and was entertained by it. Recommended, but I wouldn't set the bar as high as the first three movies done. ALSO: 3D and IMAX 3D aren't worth the hiked up price. Regular IMAX (if that's offered) or simply a regular cinema screen would be better (unless you're really into that). I barely noticed the 3D and felt it was more of a chance to ripoff than something that would make me enjoy the movie better. Expand
  5. Jan 28, 2013
    I find that allot of the criticism that this movie receives is very unjust. The Lord of the Rings trilogy set an extremely high standard that very few fantasy films could ever hope to achieve. The High Frame Rate might have been a little bit of a blunder, but the film itself is exactly what it set out to be: The story that happened before LOTR. It's not meant to be as epic or grand. TheI find that allot of the criticism that this movie receives is very unjust. The Lord of the Rings trilogy set an extremely high standard that very few fantasy films could ever hope to achieve. The High Frame Rate might have been a little bit of a blunder, but the film itself is exactly what it set out to be: The story that happened before LOTR. It's not meant to be as epic or grand. The hobbit is a fantasy adventure story and it succeeds in that completely. If I had to criticize, I would say that it might not have been a bad idea to cut a few of the Dwarves from the cast. Most of them feel like they're there just to form a crowd. Overall: I thoroughly enjoyed it and loved every minute of it. It didn't wow me the same way Fellowship of the ring did, but it kept me enthrall just the same. I can't wait to see the next movie. Expand
  6. Dec 31, 2012
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was not exactly what I was expecting. On one hand it was able to deliver what any Hobbit/ Lord of the Rings fan would want, but on the other hand, it was just shy of the greatness the trilogy had established. Visuals looked top notch however, allowing for some of the best CG in movies these days. The new 48 frames per second allowed the visuals to alsoThe Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was not exactly what I was expecting. On one hand it was able to deliver what any Hobbit/ Lord of the Rings fan would want, but on the other hand, it was just shy of the greatness the trilogy had established. Visuals looked top notch however, allowing for some of the best CG in movies these days. The new 48 frames per second allowed the visuals to also move smoothly through surrounding environments and react with real world objects. The story telling was very well done even though some of it had been over exaggerated from the book or, if I recall correctly, not in the book at all. Acting was great and believable just as it had been in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. The real challenge for anyone watching this movie is sitting through all of it. Unexpected Journey is the shortest movie ever made for the Lord of the Rings universe and it is still too long. Running at two hours and forty nine minutes, I'd be amazed if anyone could sit through this without having to leave for the bathroom. Another challenge, will be breaking this book up into three movies and not trying to flutter the audience down with even more extended scenes that weren't as long as they were in the book. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is a great movie! People should really go see it in theaters! However, if you have difficulty sitting down for so long, I would suggest to you that you wait and rent the movie instead of having to miss twenty minutes of it because you had to go to the bathroom. Expand
  7. Dec 15, 2012
    OK, I'm rather shocked at the negative official reviews. This film is not the best of Jackson's Tolkien films, but it is certainly not a 60! Part of it may have to do with the frame rate fiasco. I happened to see it in the old-school 2D 24 fps, because I feared the technological fads might mitigate my appreciation for the movie. There is a little bit too much gratuitous combat, butOK, I'm rather shocked at the negative official reviews. This film is not the best of Jackson's Tolkien films, but it is certainly not a 60! Part of it may have to do with the frame rate fiasco. I happened to see it in the old-school 2D 24 fps, because I feared the technological fads might mitigate my appreciation for the movie. There is a little bit too much gratuitous combat, but other than that, there are few horrible flaws. Even the press reviews compliment the acting and cinematography. While the scenes added from materials from beyond the book (the LotR appendices) might seem a little arcane to the uninitiated, they made sense given the themes Jackson is trying to emphasize: greed, entitlement, loyalty, and risk. I might not have agreed with all the choices Jackson made, but you can appreciate them as intelligent and researched choices. It strikes me that many press reviews are punishing the film for its technological choices - and, as I said, I'm wary of those choices - but they do not warrant the panning the film is getting. It's a rollicking good time. Don't expect the Return of the King, but you can expect a welcome return to Middle Earth. And as most have said, the Riddle Scene is absolutely perfect. Expand
  8. Dec 16, 2012
    Although the story coincides with Tolkien 's work, it's slow start seems to keep the story progression from picking up and lingers too long in Middle Earth at times. The visuals are spectacular, and at other moments it can be quite the opposite, as there is a "BBC television" feel to the filming (especially indoor shots). I'm not sure what's to blame for this, whether it's the i-max,Although the story coincides with Tolkien 's work, it's slow start seems to keep the story progression from picking up and lingers too long in Middle Earth at times. The visuals are spectacular, and at other moments it can be quite the opposite, as there is a "BBC television" feel to the filming (especially indoor shots). I'm not sure what's to blame for this, whether it's the i-max, 3-D, 48 fps or bad lighting but it is comparable to being on a live set observing a film shoot, which removes you from the sensation of it being a film at times. Despite it's flaws, and all the harsh criticism, the movie is still entertaining and worthy of being seen in theaters (as well as a future blu-ray purchase). There isn't much to the story of the Hobbit, and I think Peter Jackson has done a lot with a short children's story while tying in plot points that lead to the events of Lord of the Rings. The film manages to maintain the same atmosphere of Middle Earth with elaborate sets, creatures, wardrobe and beautiful cinematography. Well done. Expand
  9. Dec 16, 2012
    A great movie that is let down by acouple of pacing problems early on. Fans of the LotR will love this, despite just missing tout on the greatness of that trilogy. No doubt will be improved by the extended cuts and sequels.
  10. Dec 18, 2012
    To rate this film, the reviewer has to fit the demographic. This may be a prequel, and in sequence to its related films, would be #1 of 6 total, but it is ultimately the first of 3 parts of one story. It is a lighter, less gritty story than The Lord of the Rings, and should be rated as such, and not in comparison. In all honesty, a non-LOTR fan has no business watching this film. IfTo rate this film, the reviewer has to fit the demographic. This may be a prequel, and in sequence to its related films, would be #1 of 6 total, but it is ultimately the first of 3 parts of one story. It is a lighter, less gritty story than The Lord of the Rings, and should be rated as such, and not in comparison. In all honesty, a non-LOTR fan has no business watching this film. If you like LOTR, you're going to like The Hobbit, and if you don't like LOTR, you most likely won't like The Hobbit. The only con I can honestly pick out is the fact that the theatrical rendition feels like an extended edition with some unnecessary scenes, but a LOTR fan is going to love that anyway. The negative reviews are all based off of the story being "padded" and "unfinished". The sad news flash is that this film, in structure, follows suit of the first LOTR film: "The Fellowship of the Ring", where it isn't a full story, but reviewers rate it as its own self containing story. An Unexpected Journey and Fellowship both get their 3-film story going, and are both respective to the overall tone that will be presented. Fellowship is a more epic movie, because it is setting up a more epic 3-film storyline. An Unexpected Journey is a lighter adventure story in comparison, because it is setting up a lighter 3-film storyline. Everything is respective to what it should be, and while I admit this film could have been better if the Hobbit franchise was its original 2 film setup as apposed to the 3 films that Warner Bros stretched it to, it still satisfies the demographic it is aimed at: LOTR fans (which are already a very wide and large fan-base as it is).

Notes on the 48 frames per second 3D version:

I am a filmmaker, so I wanted to see what Peter Jackson's intended vision would look like, being the 48fps in native 3D. Post processed 3D always looks like a pop up book to me, so I only see films if they were filmed in 3D because depth is much more convincing and captured more realistically. All 3 Hobbit movies were filmed in 3D and at an unprecedented 48fps. Anyone who's not a filmmaker isn't able to picture what that looks like, and when they do, they say it looks like a soap opera because it is the only kind of watchable entertainment they have witnessed higher amounts of fields displayed on screen. The best way to describe it, is the 48fps with 3D (only presented together) looking more like something really happening in front of you, and not a movie. Motion blur is almost completely eliminated since frames that would normally be nonexistent, causing that blur, are actually there. The 48fps without 3D would look really hokey, but with the 3D it is an interesting experience that is not very hard to get used to. I saw it twice this way already, and I had no eyestrain. As long as you drink lots of water (not soda or sports drinks) before a 3D movie, your eyes will stay moist enough that you will not suffer eyestrain. So that argument is out of the picture if proper movie-watching precautions are taken.
    I personally prefer the 24fps version (normal movie frame rate and look) because that is traditional and seems the least distracting while watching, but the 48fps 3D is worth trying out at least once. The CGI actually looks more convincing in 48fps 3D as well.
  11. Mar 24, 2013
    saw it loved it. but if there wasn't any of the other movies i think this would bite the dust. i have seen twice and i don´t remember any of the dwarfs names. then again it has nice scenery and shots overall a great movie but it has its downfalls. but really 58/100
  12. Dec 21, 2012
    The hobbit had some big shoes to fill.Not just normal sized shoes, giant, hobbit sized shoes(this is just a metaphor,I know hobbits don't wear shoes).There were some very high expectations from most people when they went to see the hobbit part 1.People wanted it to feel like a lord of the rings movie, they expected great visuals, grade A story telling, great acting, and for it to have aThe hobbit had some big shoes to fill.Not just normal sized shoes, giant, hobbit sized shoes(this is just a metaphor,I know hobbits don't wear shoes).There were some very high expectations from most people when they went to see the hobbit part 1.People wanted it to feel like a lord of the rings movie, they expected great visuals, grade A story telling, great acting, and for it to have a satisfying conclusion(like the other lord of the rings movies)but to still feel like it was going to lead to something more in later films since it is, after all, the begining of a trilogy. Peter Jackson succeeded on most of these fronts except for a few.Namely it feeling like a lord of the ring movie and he somewhat botched the satisfying conclusion.The main reason this movie doesn't feel like a lord of the rings movie is the visuals(everything visual,the special effects,scenery,and costumes don't give off a very "lord of the ringish" vibe).But don't take this to mean I thought it had a bad look though,the hobbit is the most visually beautiful movie I've ever seen.The scenery and special effects are so gorgeous that they just don't seem like they could be real.This is a good and a bad thing.It all looks beautiful, but some of it was just too extreme to fit in with the previous lord of the rings trilogy.In the other trilogy, special effects were more 'gritty".It all looked fantastic but it all looked like it could've existed at some point in the real world.The hobbit,on the other hand, looks like it belongs in a strictly "fantasy only" world.The ending was descent, but not very satisfying.The movie speeds up very fast for the last 40 minutes or so but then comes to a jarring stop in about the last 2 minutes and so,consequently, the whole final scene just seems out of place.But it does kind of still get you excited for the next installmet, it was probably just the adrenaline still in my system from the epicness that had just occurred in the last 40-60 minutes of the movie but I still wanted to see more when the credits rolled(not in a "this only feels like half a movie" kind of way but in more of a "I'm going to see the next one when it gets to theaters"kind of way).Despite these complaints, the movie was very good.The acting from Ian McKellen, Martin Freeman, and Andy Serkis is incredible(especially Andy Serkis's acting, he only had one scene as Gollum but it was amazing).The story was good, it was a little slow the first hour or so of the movie but quickly picked up once they set out on the journey.Many people were worried about this being the phantom menace of lord of the rings movies.Have no fear, it's not.This movie is very good,not as good as the previous trilogy, but much better than the phantom menace,which was garbage.This movie isn't without its issues, but overall it is a very good and very unique movie. Expand
  13. Dec 25, 2012
    I read the hobbit when I was very young and my imagination was the only escape I could use to go to Middle earth, 20+ years later and my imagination is now realized on the screen... and it looks great!
    There are parts that felt better reading than when realized in the cinema mostly because reading it gives me time to digest more fiction, The hungry golums and the cooking part, the rabbits sleigh, Bilbo's house dishes cleaning and some other it felt a little bit I am watching a disney fiction, thank God that didn't last long, and the movie does pickup the pace and Bilbo - Smeagol was comforting and well acted.
    Overall I enjoyed it and wouldn't have missed it and would recommend any old and new Middle Earthern to go back...
  14. Dec 26, 2012
    I understand fans have made comments that the start is slow - I loved it - I agree there are some holes in how we get to when the action really begins at about the 1 hour mark - but every minute is worth watching - love this - know its not true to the book - but Jackson owns this world.
  15. Dec 28, 2012
    Balanced and enjoyable. I never read the Hobbit. Saw LOTR. Had zero expectations for this film. I was entertained the entire time. Read the reviews before I went and have to say the critics were pretty far off base. It works, and its good. episode 1 star wars comparison is not even fair. Much better, at least as good as E6 star wars.
  16. Dec 28, 2012
    Unexpectedly good. Martin Freeman is very good, plot simple but fine, special effects good although too many in places. I was getting bored at times in the long middle passages of the LOTR films, but lasted the distance here without checking my watch. Good interplay between characters, and some humour sprinkled here and there. The 48 fps produces beautifully smooth movement and detail, youUnexpectedly good. Martin Freeman is very good, plot simple but fine, special effects good although too many in places. I was getting bored at times in the long middle passages of the LOTR films, but lasted the distance here without checking my watch. Good interplay between characters, and some humour sprinkled here and there. The 48 fps produces beautifully smooth movement and detail, you feel you're really there in the scene. The 3D is fine but I'm now satisfied it really doesn't add much to a film. You stop noticing it after a while, and it doesn't leave any lasting impression, I don't really need it. But there was no motion sickness here, they have fine tuned it well.

Peter Jackson has done it ! I don't know how he will stretch it out to two more films but on this evidence he has got a good plan.
  17. Dec 29, 2012
    good film, some comedy and more action, but the whole film is not finished, which probably means the second part will be out a good time from here, like harry potter or twilight, the whole proper end fight is in a different film. But it was good
  18. Dec 30, 2012
    Why are people reviewing LOTR? This isn't LOTR. It's The Hobbit. Two very different types of storytelling. Don't compare the two and call it a review of one of them. The book was quirky and colorful. The film is no less. I can imagine how it drags on for some people, but I've read the book, and was more interested the page to screen adaptation and timeline of events rather than followingWhy are people reviewing LOTR? This isn't LOTR. It's The Hobbit. Two very different types of storytelling. Don't compare the two and call it a review of one of them. The book was quirky and colorful. The film is no less. I can imagine how it drags on for some people, but I've read the book, and was more interested the page to screen adaptation and timeline of events rather than following a brand new story. I saw the 24 FPS version, and can't say much about the difference between the 24 and 48 FPS versions. It was still gorgeous and exciting. Expand
  19. Jan 2, 2013
    It is hard to ignore the vast stylized differences between "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" and the Lord of the Ring Trilogy, but if you look past that and make this film its own you will be immersed in a truly imaginative and mesmerizing world.
  20. Jan 6, 2013
    Great movie! I enjoyed the way the story was told and there was almost nothing left out. It is a movie worth seeing. The CGI is great, for the most part, there are one or two scenes where the CGI looks a little poor to me.
  21. Jan 8, 2013
    I disagree with the hard critic scores... While "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" does not necessarily surpass the movies from the "lord of the rings" it tells a great tale with the same high quality you come to expect from these movies. But there is also more humor and the tale is told in a little different way than in the previous movies from this world... I was not disappointed.
  22. Jan 11, 2013
    Although The Hobbit is not as good as the LOTR it is still better than most films that have come out in 2012
    eg Avengers Assemble, Keith Lemon The Movie.
  23. Jan 15, 2013
    The Hobbit was a great movie, the acting was solid and at times exemplary, the visuals were as impressive as the last 3 tolkien movies, the story was gripping. The only complaints i could think of really, were that of length, but really, when you see a Peter Jackson movie, you kind of expect it to be long. I felt that it did seem to stretch out scenes a fair bit, as they spent a very longThe Hobbit was a great movie, the acting was solid and at times exemplary, the visuals were as impressive as the last 3 tolkien movies, the story was gripping. The only complaints i could think of really, were that of length, but really, when you see a Peter Jackson movie, you kind of expect it to be long. I felt that it did seem to stretch out scenes a fair bit, as they spent a very long time in the shire. But over-all, it's no-where near as bad as some critics are making it out to be. Expand
  24. Jan 24, 2013
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is Peter Jackson's epic prequel to The Lord of the Rings films, and after seeing this adaption of the first part of J.R.R. Tolkien's book, I can honestly say I am excited to see the future films. I was scared to see what they would do with this film because there is so much hype leading up to it and we expect something as great as the The Fellowship of theThe Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is Peter Jackson's epic prequel to The Lord of the Rings films, and after seeing this adaption of the first part of J.R.R. Tolkien's book, I can honestly say I am excited to see the future films. I was scared to see what they would do with this film because there is so much hype leading up to it and we expect something as great as the The Fellowship of the Ring, but now I can take a deep breath and relax because I actually was given a really fun movie. I didn't feel it matched the Fellowship in terms of of its storytelling, but what I think most people need to realize is that The Hobbit book was not as dark and as The Lord of the Rings books, so I always expected that this wouldn't match the other films. Most people were scared that this film would become the next "Phantom Menace" and ruin the legacy of The Lord of the Rings, but in my opinion this movie only adds on to the enjoyment of the old movies and also gives us a new trilogy to be excited for. That being said, this movie did have some issues that I had a problem with. Most of it was the little things such as the overdose of CGI, the slow start, and even making Radagast the Brown a really embarassing person to watch. All this were not big problems and th movie is still great, I just personally would've done it differently. Peter Jackson has returned to Middle-Earth and has shown me that he still knows exactly what he is doing. He has a vision for this film and I was glad that he gave it a lighter and happier tone like the book. The action of this movie will bring back some great memories because you can feel the grand scale of the battles and brilliant cinematography just like in the Lord of the Rings. The final hour of this movie is filled with some great action and memorable heartfelt moments that Peter Jackson is a genius at presenting. The Lord of the Rings trilogy are my favorite films ever made, so you can only imagine how excited I was to see this. So after seeing An Unexpected Journey, all I can say is that this is one great film that has me excited to see the rest of its trilogy. Expand
  25. Jan 30, 2013
    Obviously, if you're a die-hard LOTR fan, you wouldn't love this movie. If you're not, it's still an enjoyable movie. It's easier to understand (since it is the prelude to the LOTR series) and it's action-packed, heart-felt, and comedic. It has all the necessities to be a hit at the box office. It's worth the watch.
  26. Apr 7, 2013
    Personally, I don't understand why the critics were so harsh with this one. The story is captivating, the acting is very good and the art is stunning. Some complained about compugraphics that were too apparent, but to me, telling a story successfully is more important than perfectly credible an utopia compugraphics.
    I read the book very long ago, and from what I remember, the movie
    I read the book very long ago, and from what I remember, the movie seems to captivate the spirit of the story.
    In addition, to my pleasure, I did not find some of the annoying weeping scenes (hobbits), the ridiculous comic reliefs (e.g. Legolas skating the shield down the stairs), abusive slow-motion dramas, and fuzzy fight scenes of the LOTR.
    The only complain I have, and that is a major one, is that Jackson decided to make this a movie trilogy, only to make more money with it.
    In addition to unnecessarily making each movie longer, it forces us to wait for the rest year after year.
  27. Feb 5, 2013
    It was the kind of adventure I was looking for. It had the same feel as the Fellowship of the Ring. I'll admit the ending could have been more conclusive as FOTR but I never thought it would make the movie that bad. Maybe I can understand a little how others might dislike it. In my opinion, t was good.
  28. Feb 24, 2013
    I am a loyal fan of the pre movies and just relating was pretty cool but this was not a really exciting film the Orcs were not as disgusting as before in terms of appearance and it almost appeared to be on stage like a PLAY in other words WE NEED NOT RE EVENT THE WHEEL.
  29. Mar 29, 2013
    The idea of producing three films based on a medium-sized book seemed quite absurd at first. However, the amount of detail, accompanied my the beautiful visual works of Peter Jackson, makes this film work and better lays the foundation for there to be more films. Personally, I'm glad to be back in Middle Earth for another adventure!
  30. Apr 23, 2013
    This is a quick review of the non-3D Blu-ray Disc edition of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. The Blu-ray Combo Pack comes with 2 Blu-rays, 1 DVD, and UltraViolet copy of the film. The Blu-ray resolution at 1080p and 24fps (frames per second) looks really smooth and sharp. The Hobbit was filmed on the Red Epic camera, with widescreen aspect ratio is 2.40:1, and the conversion to Blu-rayThis is a quick review of the non-3D Blu-ray Disc edition of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. The Blu-ray Combo Pack comes with 2 Blu-rays, 1 DVD, and UltraViolet copy of the film. The Blu-ray resolution at 1080p and 24fps (frames per second) looks really smooth and sharp. The Hobbit was filmed on the Red Epic camera, with widescreen aspect ratio is 2.40:1, and the conversion to Blu-ray could not be better (with the exception of a couple scenes that seem a bit dark). Audio is also really great in DTS-HD Master Audio surround sound. As far as extras, for a quick Blu-ray release the edition does contain quite a few extras including 127 minutes of video blogs (in HD), trailers (in HD), and a 7-minute featurette "New Zealand: Home of Middle-Earth" (also in HD). Overall this is one the best Blu-ray releases so far this year. Expand
  31. May 19, 2013
    Most critics say that this film does not reach the height of lord of the rings, but the film was not made for it, it just is a lighter version of the previous trilogy, once again uses cutting-edge special effects but with a story focused the diverse world that Tolkien created, ie Lord of the Rings was focused on a single goal, and that much friendlier to clarify the other things that areMost critics say that this film does not reach the height of lord of the rings, but the film was not made for it, it just is a lighter version of the previous trilogy, once again uses cutting-edge special effects but with a story focused the diverse world that Tolkien created, ie Lord of the Rings was focused on a single goal, and that much friendlier to clarify the other things that are in the books, and the result is satisfactory. Expand
  32. May 21, 2013
    Another great job for Peter Jackson, his managed to give The Hobbit charm of LOTR, great storytelling that fits perfectly to one of the best trilogy of all time! The only my problem with it how they portrayed Radagast! Overall it's must own
  33. Apr 28, 2013
    I was pleasantly surprised by this film. Even though I had really enjoyed the original Lord of the Rings trilogy of films, I suspected that this adaptation would feel too similar to those, and could feel like 'money for old rope'. However it felt fresh enough, and actually quite nice to return to Middle Earth. Martin Freeman was magnificent as Bilbo, who is hugely more likeable than FrodoI was pleasantly surprised by this film. Even though I had really enjoyed the original Lord of the Rings trilogy of films, I suspected that this adaptation would feel too similar to those, and could feel like 'money for old rope'. However it felt fresh enough, and actually quite nice to return to Middle Earth. Martin Freeman was magnificent as Bilbo, who is hugely more likeable than Frodo in the original trilogy. The special effects felt familiar, but somewhat improved; the part with the Stone Giants in particular was spectacular. I have to say I did roll my eyes once or twice (Eagles to the rescue...again), but all in all I was captivated for the whole two and a half hours. Roll on the next part! Expand
  34. Jun 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. (contains minor spoilers) It was a good film. Ian McKellen, as always, was great as Gandalf. The dwarves, while not really expanded on at the individual level besides Thorin, were enjoyable. I liked how they added the White Council and the looming return of Sauron. Also solid was the performance of Martin Freeman as Bilbo. However, the villains were sub-par in this film. I did like the trolls and goblins, but the CGI orcs were just bad. The LoTR orcs were wonderfully done, but these were terrible to look at. On the plus, Andy Serkis stole the show as Gollum in his brief appearance. It's a very good movie, though not on the level of its predecessors, and the ending set up nicely for the next installment. Expand
  35. May 23, 2013
    Hobbit is a very interesting and enjoyable film from start till end and any Lord of the ring fan would not want to miss this charming and mesmerizing journey.
  36. Jul 18, 2013
    The Hobbit does suffer from some pretty severe pacing issues, but (apart from its opening 45 minutes) is a gripping and welcome return to middle earth, that will definitely improve as we adjust to the new tone and feel of 'The Hobbit.'
  37. Jun 11, 2013
    This film was epic. I liked it much more than the first Lord of the rings and Peter Jackson did a great job in this one. Great photography and make-up. Should have won that oscar. You will like it if you liked the trilogy of The Lord of the rings
  38. Jul 24, 2013
    This movie is exiting as well as action-packed. It does take around 30-40 minutes for the adventure to actually begin which can be annoying. However it is worth the wait as the "unexpected journey" is great and worth watching. This movie doesn't exactly follow the book but I would still recommend it to fans of the book
  39. Aug 1, 2013
    A very well done adaption of a classic book. Not as good as LOTR but still very enjoyable, Although it may be a little to childish for some people, But I personally can't wait for the sequels.
  40. Nov 14, 2013
    A gorgeous movie delivering an unforgettable adventure! It impresses with it's huge scale of breathtaking forests and mountains. While the story is slightly predictable, it stays fresh with the great dialogue, well-developed characters and superb voice acting.
    The plot sometimes doesn't quite excite with it's slight predictability, but The Hobbit it's still an immersive and a deeply enjoyable film (Final Score: 8.55)
  41. Dec 13, 2013
    The first installment of the Hobbit franchise spends a lot of time laying its foundations then uses it to create an immersive experience for its audience.
  42. Dec 12, 2013
    Peter Jackson combine with j r tollkien makes a very good imaginative partnership though un expected journey is the first chapter before Lord of the rings to tollkien fans the movie brings far more imagination in the middle earth
  43. Dec 28, 2013
    The Hobbit: and Unexpected Journey was everything that i had hoped for. I'm a a very big Tolkien fan and i have read a lot of his books, and i gotta say: this was amazing! a lot of Tolkien fans did not like it but that is probably because they expected WAY to much and wanted everything to be JUST like the book... well you just can't expect that from a movie adapted from a book, their needThe Hobbit: and Unexpected Journey was everything that i had hoped for. I'm a a very big Tolkien fan and i have read a lot of his books, and i gotta say: this was amazing! a lot of Tolkien fans did not like it but that is probably because they expected WAY to much and wanted everything to be JUST like the book... well you just can't expect that from a movie adapted from a book, their need to be changes. the acting delivered was perfect especially from Martin Freeman. Expand
  44. Mar 4, 2014
    It drags quite considerably, but technically and musically, it's just great. Full to the brim with nostalgic scenes and references and an unsurprisingly great Freeman as the Hobbit. Not as grand and heartfelt overall as the LOTR series, but I felt the same with that first installment too, so here's hoping it improves!
  45. Mar 29, 2014
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was a great film. I enjoyed it very much. I really wish people would see what the trilogy is. I believe that Peter Jackson is making The Hobbit into a Trilogy so that it may live up to The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, not just to make extra money. So while this first movie may only take up a fraction of the small Hobbit book and add things that may seemThe Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was a great film. I enjoyed it very much. I really wish people would see what the trilogy is. I believe that Peter Jackson is making The Hobbit into a Trilogy so that it may live up to The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, not just to make extra money. So while this first movie may only take up a fraction of the small Hobbit book and add things that may seem unnecessary, AUJ was very good. Expand
  46. May 3, 2014
    What did Peter Jackson in this film is no small thing! He was able to make epic a tale for children, and playing with the narrative by inserting the apparitions, in my opinion, very apt and not at all out of place !
    The film lasts about three hours, but not boring in the least , and also distracts from the hassles of 3D ! It 's true , the scene at Bag End is a bit long and slow , but at least I have followed with great pleasure , it was also a good way to learn about the dwarves , and not having a blurry image! Many complain that the dwarves are too clumsy and stupid , well Gimli in the previous trilogy did not seem much different , coincidentally the comic he was angry with Pippin and Merry ! Also, it seemed like the right choice to give the film a touch of zing , considering that the story does not have the same magnitude of the previous trilogy ! Yes, because the story is not deep and eclectic as that of the Lord of the Rings , but we say more childish and playful , it is an air of terror and fear, at least not until Bilbo finds the ring !
    The direction of Jackson 's mammoth as always , the same applies to photography and script! To define the beauty of the scenery , maybe there is not even a term that enhances 100% !
  47. Jan 29, 2015
    The only reason I give The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey an 8 is because of the fact that it takes about 43 minutes for Bilbo's journey to actually start. Plus the, what I call "Deleted beginning LotR scene", which I thought was not necessary. But other than that, it was very enjoyable to see one of my favorite books finally appear of the silver screen.
  48. Nov 9, 2014
  49. Oct 19, 2014
    The adventure follows the journey of title character Bilbo Baggins, who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor from the fearsome dragon Smaug. Approached out of the blue by the wizard Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo finds himself joining a company of thirteen dwarves led by the legendary warrior, Thorin Oakenshield. Their journey will take them into the Wild;The adventure follows the journey of title character Bilbo Baggins, who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor from the fearsome dragon Smaug. Approached out of the blue by the wizard Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo finds himself joining a company of thirteen dwarves led by the legendary warrior, Thorin Oakenshield. Their journey will take them into the Wild; through treacherous lands swarming with Goblins and Orcs, deadly Wargs and Sorcerers. Although their goal lies to the East and the wastelands of the Lonely Mountain, first they must escape the goblin tunnels, where Bilbo meets the creature that will change his life forever…Gollum. Here, alone with Gollum, on the shores of an underground lake, the unassuming Bilbo Baggins not only discovers depths of ingenuity and courage that surprise even him, he also gains possession of Gollum’s “precious” ring that holds unexpected and useful qualities… A simple, gold ring that is tied to the fate of all Middle-earth in ways Bilbo cannot begin to know. Expand
  50. Dec 6, 2014
    ThE hobbit an unexpected journey, is the prequel of the Lord of the rings saga, therefore it contains some of the characters from the Lord of the rings movies such as gandalf the grey. This is the first of the three instalments so it can get a bit boring as you're getting to know the characters. You will see the races like the orcs making big appearances. It does contain scenes of actionThE hobbit an unexpected journey, is the prequel of the Lord of the rings saga, therefore it contains some of the characters from the Lord of the rings movies such as gandalf the grey. This is the first of the three instalments so it can get a bit boring as you're getting to know the characters. You will see the races like the orcs making big appearances. It does contain scenes of action but there are not so many of them that you get overwhelmed. If you are going to watch this and you find it boring then I'd watch the second instalment, the desolation of smaug. Expand
  51. Dec 29, 2014
    The pacing is very uneven at times, but The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is a very well done return to Middle Earth with enough action, heart, and lore to keep people satisfied.
  52. Mar 25, 2015
    Everyone who adored the Lord of the Rings trilogy did their best to enjoy The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey just as much, yet only few could honestly say they did. One of the biggest problems of An Unexpected Journey is that it's far too stretched lengthwise, making it hard to stay interested during its 3 hour run time. After an hour I had a feeling I never experienced while watching LotR:Everyone who adored the Lord of the Rings trilogy did their best to enjoy The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey just as much, yet only few could honestly say they did. One of the biggest problems of An Unexpected Journey is that it's far too stretched lengthwise, making it hard to stay interested during its 3 hour run time. After an hour I had a feeling I never experienced while watching LotR: I got bored. Not entirely, yet enough to wish the film were shorter. The cast is quite decent, Martin Freeman does a good job playing Bilbo. However, it's hard to get attached to the company of dwarfs since Jackson didn't put much emphasis on individuality(hell, I didn't even know which dwarf was supposed to be who, despite knowing all the names from the book). The addition of Radagast as a character who wasn't present in the book felt unnecessary as he didn't serve a useful purpose. Others, like Thorin's nemesis Azog, the pale Orc were a conclusive addition.

In spite of these rather negative aspects, An unexpected Journey had very satisfying moments as well. The troll fight, the dwarfs being trapped in "Goblin town" and Gollum's riddles were well adapted moments, giving hope for even better things to come in the next two parts. I know the non-CGI Orcs in LotR were cooler but it wasn't troubling either to see CGI Orcs since they are well done, as are the fighting scenes(even if they are bizarre at times).

Yes, An unexpected Journey could've been better and with LotR being a masterpiece, fans had very high expectations Jackson couldn't quite live up to. I would still watch the film over and over again as the great moments outweigh the weaker ones by far. It's good entertainment and serves as a satisfying beginning to the Middle-Earth saga.
  53. Dec 14, 2012
    I had very modest expectations coming into this film. I was disappointed by the first two films in the LOTR triology and found them non-memorable and flat. An unexpected Journey is charming from the start, and even though the first half is a little bloated (my primary criticism of the film), the second half is terribly exciting, and I love the characterization of Bilbo Baggins and theI had very modest expectations coming into this film. I was disappointed by the first two films in the LOTR triology and found them non-memorable and flat. An unexpected Journey is charming from the start, and even though the first half is a little bloated (my primary criticism of the film), the second half is terribly exciting, and I love the characterization of Bilbo Baggins and the way he's ingratiated into the crew of dwarves. I find the characters in the first installment of The Hobbit to be much more relatable and sympathetic than any of them in the LOTR series. I'll take young Bilbo over young Frodo any day as a protagonist. I will say that Gollum injects a special energy into the film that crests all the way to its conclusion. So yes, the film won me over in ways I truly did not expect. Expand
  54. Dec 28, 2012
    First things first: Although the 48fps improved some smaller aspects of the movie, I would recommend seeing it in plain 24fps 2D.

I greet Peter Jackson's return to Middle Earth with open arms. The types of grand adventures that these films portray are so practically non-existant when it comes to genre and it really is a treat to see the grand scenery of a world more fantastical than our own.

All the actors pulled out wonderful performances. Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, all of the dwarves, Andy Serkis, and everyone else. Not a single one of them breaks character.

As it was apparent during the production journals, the film utilizes a lot of CG. I thought it was used appropriately for the most part, my only problems coming a handful of moments where the effects felt over-the-top or unnecessary.

The film's story is arguably the biggest issue in-that nothing much happens. There's a lot of filler, albeit very enjoyable filler, between action sequences and exposition.

The Hobbit is best advertised as a roller coaster, full of entertainment and well-crafted thrills, but lacking the tension that actual danger would have created.
  55. Jan 2, 2013
    Overall I liked the Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. The scenes from the book are done really well better than in Hunger Games or the later Harry Potter films. There is some great acting, camera work, music, and sets. The scenes are really given time to flesh out. The added scenes cause the movie to drag. If some of the scenes were cut out and/or this was one or two movies I would be givingOverall I liked the Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. The scenes from the book are done really well better than in Hunger Games or the later Harry Potter films. There is some great acting, camera work, music, and sets. The scenes are really given time to flesh out. The added scenes cause the movie to drag. If some of the scenes were cut out and/or this was one or two movies I would be giving this a higher score. Unfortunately Peter Jackson tries a little to hard to incorporate Middle Earth lore that while cool often is not that interesting and slows the movie down. Its like he was trying to create his own beginning, middle, and end. Despite these flaws though I really enjoyed this movie its flaws are not because the director did not try hard to make a good story but tried too hard, which I appreciate. Maybe if I see it again knowing where its going I Expand
  56. Dec 18, 2012
    The Hobbit is enjoyable and fun, playing more like a well-performed score with a slow rise into an epic swirl of sonic activity. By itself the movie rates as a 7 for me. No special fanfare scoring or pessimistic knocking. This film serves as a setup for two additional films to come. The biggest drawback to An Unexpected Journey is the film's struggle for meaning and identity early on.The Hobbit is enjoyable and fun, playing more like a well-performed score with a slow rise into an epic swirl of sonic activity. By itself the movie rates as a 7 for me. No special fanfare scoring or pessimistic knocking. This film serves as a setup for two additional films to come. The biggest drawback to An Unexpected Journey is the film's struggle for meaning and identity early on. There's some coolness to it, but really your first hour or so is setup. Not boring, but not totally entertaining either. However, you feel rewarded for sticking with it once the adventure begins, as the pacing and plot blossum with every moment you spend with it. As the movie closes, I felt that I saw something special growing. Peter Jackson will pull in not just The Hobbit, but The Silmarillion as well, bringing some ancient-world lore and backstory into the set peice to keep the trilogy interesting (otherwise this movie could easily be done as a two-parter). Totally worth seeing, but the score I give is for the movie by itself, which could be adjusted and improved assuming the trilogy fares well. Check it out if you enjoyed the Lord of the Rings trilogy or adventure/fantasy films in general. Expand
  57. Jan 10, 2013
    The fact that this not LOTR immediately undermines the Hobbit; a smaller children's book that lacks the serious themes of Rings but makes for it with a much lighter tone, amazing creatures and action. Whether Peter Jackson's vision for this new trilogy works and is vindicated is yet to be seen but there is plenty to look forward to with this film. Great performances if not all theThe fact that this not LOTR immediately undermines the Hobbit; a smaller children's book that lacks the serious themes of Rings but makes for it with a much lighter tone, amazing creatures and action. Whether Peter Jackson's vision for this new trilogy works and is vindicated is yet to be seen but there is plenty to look forward to with this film. Great performances if not all the characters are developed but there is an overriding sense of fun and adventure which Rings sometimes lacked. HFR isn't successful I'm afraid and some of the CG characters don't feel real but this is a well made film with stunning visuals and a final scene that makes thus first film satisfying whilst setting up a seemingly more epic second film. Expand
  58. Mar 21, 2013
    Overlong and playing a little hard for the kids in some moments, The Hobbit is still a good picture. I understand the source material, but it seems like Jackson couldn't decide between going all for a kid-friendly feel or staying more mature in line with the Rings trilogy. The cgi isn't as effective as the makeup from the great looking orcs from the Rings either, and few scene were hardOverlong and playing a little hard for the kids in some moments, The Hobbit is still a good picture. I understand the source material, but it seems like Jackson couldn't decide between going all for a kid-friendly feel or staying more mature in line with the Rings trilogy. The cgi isn't as effective as the makeup from the great looking orcs from the Rings either, and few scene were hard to sit through for me (particularly a singing sequence) but it has some good qualities. The acting is good and it definitely stays true to the story. The film is beautiful to look at and the movie definitely has some great moments that make up for the lackluster stumbles. I still can't help but wonder if a short book will really need three movies for justice, especially if they're all this length. Expand
  59. Dec 16, 2012
    I must admit that at first I was skeptical about the claims from movie critics who disliked the high frame rate. However, after watching the 48 frames per second version of the hobbit, I now realize that the critics were correct. Something about the high frame rate is off. It feels like you were watching a soap opera, like you are seeing people dressed up as dwarves reading their lines inI must admit that at first I was skeptical about the claims from movie critics who disliked the high frame rate. However, after watching the 48 frames per second version of the hobbit, I now realize that the critics were correct. Something about the high frame rate is off. It feels like you were watching a soap opera, like you are seeing people dressed up as dwarves reading their lines in front of the camera. It really does hurt the feelings of immersion. However, the 3-D animation, the parts of the movie where incredible beasts or goblins or orca were rendered, those look really nice in the high frame rate. As to the plot and content of the movie, it was mediocre. If you like the Lord of the rings, then you will probably like this movie. It feels fairly familiar and there are not really any surprises, overall it was a decent movie, but it really doesn't match up to the previous works. Expand
  60. Jan 1, 2013
    The Hobbit is a great book. The movie has great special effects. I knew I would like the movie and I did. I'm not sure I would have chosen all of the scenes that the movie makers did. Some of them were welcome and interesting, some of them were not. My biggest disappointment was that it was somewhat mainstreamed, and it includes some of the canned humor that generic "family" moviesThe Hobbit is a great book. The movie has great special effects. I knew I would like the movie and I did. I'm not sure I would have chosen all of the scenes that the movie makers did. Some of them were welcome and interesting, some of them were not. My biggest disappointment was that it was somewhat mainstreamed, and it includes some of the canned humor that generic "family" movies often have. Most of it was not particularly funny and only took away from the mood. There was only one line out of probably twenty that I found funny. Think the dwarf scenes in LotR. Think the C3PO scenes on the conveyor belt from Star Wars. The delivery was not perfect by the main character, which may have caused problems. Still, it's the Hobbit, it had great special effects, and there are some very well done scenes. There are parts that are definitely worth watching. You definitely ought to see the movie, but it was no masterpiece. Expand
  61. Dec 23, 2012
    The 3D and high frame rate were amazing, but other than that and that it was my first trip to Middle Earth in a cinema, it was quite okay. Richard Armitage was the best of the cast, along with Martin Freeman and the eternally amazing Sir Ian McKellen. I loved seeing Rivendell, Galadriel and Elrond, and Frodo too, my only true connections in the movie with the LotR trilogy.
    I enjoyed
    I enjoyed seeing Andy Serkis's performance feeling a lot realer and with a lot more of a "Serkis feeling" than in the trilogy. I can't really explain it, you just kind of felt the person in Smeagol more than you did before. I didn't enjoy the kind of humor they put in the script, which was too 21st-century-esque at times when it should be medieval-like, but it was always funny. The visual effects were obviously much easier to notice with the HFR but I'm pretty sure they could have been better even if not seen in HFR.
    It wasn't bad but it wasn't especially good or unique either if not for the uniqueness of the story. I expected better, but, at the same time, I was somewhat disappointed by the Lord of the Rings trilogy compared to the greatness of the books, so I didn't have the highest of hopes for this one either. A nice show but way too long for 1 in 3 movies...
  62. Jan 22, 2013
    The Hobbit is set in the same world as the Lord of the Rings. However, unlike the dynamic storytelling that was in Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit really fails to stand up with the same quality. Many of the characters and bad guys look like plastic CGI characters and fail to bring any amount of believability that Lord of the Rings managed to instill with its costume design. The main DwarfThe Hobbit is set in the same world as the Lord of the Rings. However, unlike the dynamic storytelling that was in Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit really fails to stand up with the same quality. Many of the characters and bad guys look like plastic CGI characters and fail to bring any amount of believability that Lord of the Rings managed to instill with its costume design. The main Dwarf character is an absolute mirror to Aragorn from the Lord of the Rings and even the main plot diversions follow the same schematic that Fellowship had. (Shire -> Rivendell -> Mountain -> Forest (battle with bad guys)) It really was a letdown compared to its predecessors. However, still a good movie if you are not looking for the same dynamacy of the Lord of the Rings Expand
  63. May 31, 2013
    Way too many gravity defying Disney moments, breaks any immersion film could of had. It's simply over the top and way too cheesy, Middle earth probably has low gravity or something...
  64. Jan 13, 2013
    Don't believe the critics! It's strange how they seemed to point out a lot of negative things about this pic, when these weaknesses were always prevalent in all of Peter Jackson's previous efforts: slow pace, overlong set pieces, and the bladder inducing run time of 3 hours. Nevertheless, Jackson's strength as a tent pole director is without parallel: great sense sense of scope, anDon't believe the critics! It's strange how they seemed to point out a lot of negative things about this pic, when these weaknesses were always prevalent in all of Peter Jackson's previous efforts: slow pace, overlong set pieces, and the bladder inducing run time of 3 hours. Nevertheless, Jackson's strength as a tent pole director is without parallel: great sense sense of scope, an intricate sense of detail, incredible use of practical / digital effects as well as bringing the best out of his actors / actresses. It's not as good as the LOTR trilogy but that's because the material itself was lightweight in comparison. The Hobbit was meant to be a much more simpler adventure yarn. In this department, The Hobbit delivers. Expand
  65. Dec 28, 2012
    More of a new tech demo than an addition of epic saga, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey prioritizes more on the graphic until the point of unnecessity. Fortunately enough, the amazing talents and the nostalgic lore will make the journey worthwhile. The retelling of previous adventure of Bilbo Baggins has myriad of mystical elements, although with 48 fps, the visual is a departure from theMore of a new tech demo than an addition of epic saga, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey prioritizes more on the graphic until the point of unnecessity. Fortunately enough, the amazing talents and the nostalgic lore will make the journey worthwhile. The retelling of previous adventure of Bilbo Baggins has myriad of mystical elements, although with 48 fps, the visual is a departure from the earlier trilogy's cinematic feel. It's closer to a video game or documentary than a cinema flick, and it takes a while to get used to. The look definitely smoother, but somewhat too hyper realistic in tandem with 3D which makes it lost that ethereal look.
    The story goes that Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman) is suddenly recruited to a party of thirteen Dwarves and one wizard to be their burglar in a quest to restore Erebor, the lost city of Dwarves that was stolen by a materialistic dragon. The invitation process is terribly awkward, and the fact that the first scenes in his house are excruciatingly long makes it even more so. Nevertheless there he is, trudging the forest and plain of Middle Earth in his spare time while the Dwarves are seriously moody about their fallen kingdom. Bilbo does a give foreign perceptive on the affair, but it feels like he's shoehorned into the party.

Despite the initial slogging opening, Martin Freeman does a very good job on this role. He's not really valiant or witty, just enough to not be killed, and in some way he represents what Frodo did, a normal person in midst of heroes. It's a very relatable role, more pronounced by his flaws, I think audience will respond well to that. Ian McKallen reprises his role as Gandalf, it fits him like the beard and robe. Gandalf is a strong character, yet he accepts his shortcomings and his companions'.

The Dwarves are stubbornly merry, they are more defined as a pack rather than individually. Thorin Oakenshield (Richard Armitage) stands out more than the rest, because he has a banished king appearance. His character is brave and bitter, making it the far cry of Bilbo. Andy Serkis as Gollum returns and pretty much steals the show with his unique expression and body language. He is one of the best mixtures of acting and technology to date. Christopher Lee, Cate Blanchett and Hugo Weaving return as their respective characters. Though only briefly, they maintain solid performances as if they never left the characters.
    The singular most annoying problem of this movie is the dragging pace. It's a too visible attempt to advertise the new 48fps. I seriously doubt that the audience needs to see more than half hour of Dwarves singing while washing dishes in the beginning, or the slightly troubled relative of Gandalf, Radagast The Brown, resuscitating a hedgehog many times over before he rides in his woody cart attached to bunnies. Its writing isn't at the same level as Tolkien's, sometimes it's bordering on bland and expectedly dramatic.

For all the flaws, it's still an impressive visual. How the characters move or their heights' difference is seemingly normal, fast skirmished and action are a treat, although I'm not sure if this is the direction big budget title should go. Music is splendid, counting the nostalgic factor of the theme's soothing hum. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey will most likely entertain you, although not in the same league as its predecessors.
  66. May 15, 2015
    The enriching tenderness of an unexpected journey settles as another piece to my childhood I will celebrate among that of the former lord of the rings trilogy. The joy of now the hobbit is not it's familiarity, but the wonder of endeavouring a new and refreshing purposeful massage of Peter Jackson's fantastical middle earth quarry. It's a joyfully entertaining film that merely deepens it'sThe enriching tenderness of an unexpected journey settles as another piece to my childhood I will celebrate among that of the former lord of the rings trilogy. The joy of now the hobbit is not it's familiarity, but the wonder of endeavouring a new and refreshing purposeful massage of Peter Jackson's fantastical middle earth quarry. It's a joyfully entertaining film that merely deepens it's subject matter of the original novel by gracefully taking us on a nearly 3 hour long trek where it seems 30 minutes of cutting was needed to make this new epic reach it's full potential in beginning this ambitious vision of turning a very slim novel into a very long trilogy. Expand
  67. Jan 5, 2013
    Critics wants Lord of Darkness melodrama, with a pre-pubescent choir chanting to a Sauron montage. Hobbit isn't that, but it's still fun. It's a kids movie. And you'll probably like it.
  68. Nov 17, 2013
    Going into The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, I knew that it was a tale originally written for children, but the Lord of The Rings trilogy was so well done, that I fully expected the first Hobbit movie to be just as masterful. It was a pretty good film, however it didn't have the luster that Lord of The Rings had. The trilogy was magical, it's the reason people go to the movies, but theGoing into The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, I knew that it was a tale originally written for children, but the Lord of The Rings trilogy was so well done, that I fully expected the first Hobbit movie to be just as masterful. It was a pretty good film, however it didn't have the luster that Lord of The Rings had. The trilogy was magical, it's the reason people go to the movies, but the Hobbit, seemed to be playing off the fame of the Lord of The Rings and at times was directionless. For those who don't know the story, it starts to tell the tale of Bilbo Baggins and his original journey with Gandalf. In the Lord of The Rings, they go on this impossible journey in order to save Middle Earth, but here, the journey is about saving the dwarfs gold from a dragon. It really doesn't have the intensity or the urgency require to make a film like this work. Nothing had changed for over two hundred years, but all of a sudden, now is the time to stop the dragon, why? The film was not bad, but it doesn't come off as this great adventure and that could have something to do with the childish elements. This is a PG-13 film with fighting and beheadings, yet it's also a film with singing dwarfs, drunk gnomes, and a wizard with Alzheimer who is covered in bird I feel these things really hurt the film. Ian McKellen returns as Gandalf and finally seemed to be showing his age. McKellen is tired and slow in this film, Gandalf is not the same great warrior. Finally, this film is different because we know it's a prequel. Even if you didn't read the book, you know who lives and who dies, taking a major play away from the screenwriters. Overall the Hobbit is somewhat entertaining, but it's not The Lord of The Rings. It's directionless at times, lacks the urgency needed for an epic, and has a cast that really doesn't excite. I was hoping for a lot, but all I got was a little. The only thing I can do now is try and forget about it as I wait for the next film with anticipation. Expand
  69. Dec 31, 2012
    I went to see the movie with my 8 year old son and he seemed to adore all the action. If you're looking for something like LotR then you'll be in for quite the disappointment. Still, if you forget about the book, then the movie is enjoyable in a way, but seeing that this one book is going to be stretched out over 3 movies, you don't need to leave much to the imagination as to why.
    The kid
    The kid loved it, and it wasn't too bad, but don't expect too much. Not much LotR like epic moments, but action and slapstick like silliness, except for the encounter with Gollum, which is the only part really worth watching.
  70. Dec 30, 2012
    The Hobbit is, in many ways, the strategic all-age-appealing beast the Lord of the Rings never was. And whilst An Unexpected Journey is not likely to be the best film in the new trilogy, it is riddled (hah!) with many great moments, such as the Riddles in the Dark section, and the Goblin Town. A good if by-the-numbers first installments, which leaves a sweet taste of better things to comeThe Hobbit is, in many ways, the strategic all-age-appealing beast the Lord of the Rings never was. And whilst An Unexpected Journey is not likely to be the best film in the new trilogy, it is riddled (hah!) with many great moments, such as the Riddles in the Dark section, and the Goblin Town. A good if by-the-numbers first installments, which leaves a sweet taste of better things to come in The Desolation of Smaug. Expand
  71. Jan 20, 2013
    Very good movie, but I couldn't stop thinking about how most of it was different from the book, as well as how much of the scenes had been milked, long and overdrawn. Some of them, such as the troll scene for example, were disappointing seeing as how they had been turned into a full-blown battle and stretched out. The side plotline of Dol Guldur was interesting to see as well as the returnVery good movie, but I couldn't stop thinking about how most of it was different from the book, as well as how much of the scenes had been milked, long and overdrawn. Some of them, such as the troll scene for example, were disappointing seeing as how they had been turned into a full-blown battle and stretched out. The side plotline of Dol Guldur was interesting to see as well as the return of old characters that weren't in the book such as Radagast the Brown, but the introduction of Azog and his main antagonistic role throughout the film was a bit off-putting and only further derided from the book. Not to mention he's a complete CGI orc (really Jackson? Couldn't you have just found an actor and put him in costume?) The visuals are stunning however (though it's annoying how all of the orcs in one battle scene are all CGI), and Gollum looks better than ever and is voiced perfectly again by Andy Serkis. Overall, if you're a fan of Lord of the Rings this is a must-see! I'm just hoping the second film is even better than this one. Expand
  72. Zal
    Dec 14, 2012
    At times, it drags its feet (especially in the first act) and there is a LOT of padding, but The Hobbit was definitely worth seeing. It's been a while since I read The Hobbit, but there was never a moment where I didn't understand what was happening. The newest members of the cast like Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage are fantastic and it was great to see Ian McKellan, Cate Blanchett,At times, it drags its feet (especially in the first act) and there is a LOT of padding, but The Hobbit was definitely worth seeing. It's been a while since I read The Hobbit, but there was never a moment where I didn't understand what was happening. The newest members of the cast like Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage are fantastic and it was great to see Ian McKellan, Cate Blanchett, and Christopher Lee again. I went with two friends who were big LOTR fans and they adored this movie. I look forward to the next installments, although I'm worried about the padding and there will be lots of it. The Hobbit isn't that long a book and I'm wondering how they're going to make 3 movies out of it. Even though this movie has its flaws, it's still worth seeing for the characters, acting, cinematography, and, well, everything else! Expand
  73. Dec 14, 2012
    I quite liked this movie, but it could have been better. The original Lord of the Rings movies did not use CGI unless it was necessary. The orcs were men in costume and makeup, which made Jackson's depiction of middle earth seem more real somehow. In this new film, Jackson uses CGI as a crutch (nearly every creature is computer generated), and it hurts the continuity and flow of the story.I quite liked this movie, but it could have been better. The original Lord of the Rings movies did not use CGI unless it was necessary. The orcs were men in costume and makeup, which made Jackson's depiction of middle earth seem more real somehow. In this new film, Jackson uses CGI as a crutch (nearly every creature is computer generated), and it hurts the continuity and flow of the story. This movie is pretty sweet in its own way, but if the creators had stuck with their original pattern (more make up and costumes, and less CGI) I would have thought it flawless. It's certainly enjoyable, and I'm looking forward to the next two installments, but I don't feel like this can be categorized as a classic. Expand
  74. Oct 5, 2013
    Sure, this movie isn't perfect. It's not as good as Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings Trilogy. However, to say that this film is bad is like saying that The Godfather isn't a good movie, or Lawrence of Arabia, or Ben-Hur. This film is good, though not exceptional. The Dwarves break into a musical number at one point for no real reason whatsoever, probably to appeal to kids. I heard peopleSure, this movie isn't perfect. It's not as good as Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings Trilogy. However, to say that this film is bad is like saying that The Godfather isn't a good movie, or Lawrence of Arabia, or Ben-Hur. This film is good, though not exceptional. The Dwarves break into a musical number at one point for no real reason whatsoever, probably to appeal to kids. I heard people laughing in the cinema when I watched this. I liked Lord of the Rings a LOT, and If I heard the audiences laughing AT ALL apart from the occasional moment between Merry and Pippin, or with Gimli, I would probably murder some of them, if not all of them.

However, if you consider this film on it's own, you will find that it is a very, VERY good film, and, though it definitely doesn't live up to The Lord of the Rings, it's undeniably worth watching. It doesn't have as much depth, it doesn't have as much emotion, it doesn't have four hundred hours of special thanks at the end, and it doesn't have the cast of the previous films (bar Hugo Weaving, Christopher Lee, Ian McKellen, Cate Blanchett, Ian Holm and Elijah Wood), but it does have the ability to carry itself, and it's great.
  75. sLm
    Feb 9, 2013
    They stayed like 30 minutes of the film in Bilbo's house. FFS, I almost slept half of the movie until things actually started happening! After that, it turned a bit interesting, and scenes were also ok. About the eagles.... well, I still wonder why didn't they use them from a start... again.
  76. Dec 21, 2012
    Not a bad movie by any means...but it felt a wee bit bloated with filler and some out of place comedic bits. I saw the high frame version and while some of it looked awesome, others it looked like the characters were moving at 1.5 or 2 times speed and looked unnatural. Peter Jackson has two sequels to sort the tech out...
  77. Oct 7, 2014
    The Hobbit isn't Peter Jackson's finest work, but it still captures the imagination with stunning scenery and suburb acting. The hobbit tends to drag on certain parts when it could have encapsulated a lot more. Azog was never in the hobbit among other characters and scenes, however, this doesn't necessarily violate Tolkien lore, it does make one wonder if this should be called somethingThe Hobbit isn't Peter Jackson's finest work, but it still captures the imagination with stunning scenery and suburb acting. The hobbit tends to drag on certain parts when it could have encapsulated a lot more. Azog was never in the hobbit among other characters and scenes, however, this doesn't necessarily violate Tolkien lore, it does make one wonder if this should be called something else rather than the Hobbit. Expand
  78. Dec 16, 2012
    Talk about a movie that people are going into with preconceived notions. Has there ever been a movie that people have had so much to say about before they even see it? I was no exception to this, I loved the first trilogy and had read all the publicity about directors, how many films would be made, and the format Jackson chose to film in. After finally seeing the movie and reading manyTalk about a movie that people are going into with preconceived notions. Has there ever been a movie that people have had so much to say about before they even see it? I was no exception to this, I loved the first trilogy and had read all the publicity about directors, how many films would be made, and the format Jackson chose to film in. After finally seeing the movie and reading many reviews I have to say there was very little about this installment to the franchise that disappointed me. Is this film perfect? No, but few film are. Is the pacing leisurely? Yes, but does anyone remember Fellowship. Does some of this feel more child like than the other three movies? Absolutely, just like the source material. I think what I love about this film and a lot of what I love about the original three can be summed up with two words: world building. Jackson does an unbelievable job building this world, every creature feels unique and in its place, every setting the same. The introduction of the dwarfs exemplifies this perfectly, I love how each set of creatures are are prone to certain characteristics but each character within that set have very unique personalities. This is just one example of his world building but can be seen across every element of the story. This of course is not just a testament to Jackson but also Tolkein's source material. I thought this movie had exceptional acting almost across the board. Freeman and McKellan in particular were fantastic. I think Freeman was a better Hobbit then any of the actors in the previous films. Like its predecessors this movie has many lighthearted moments, some stunning visuals, some pretty cool action sequences, and plenty of time to immerse yourself in it all. I for one will be looking forward to the next two films. Expand
  79. Jan 22, 2013
    I'm not a big fan of Tolkien and the original trilogy and I've read the book a very long time ago, so guess I'm being impartial here. I've definitely enjoyed the movie, it's well-filmed (no wonder in that), but it suffers from one thing, and that'd be the book being split into three separate movies. Not just that, but three two-and-half-hour-long movies. As a result, the story gains aI'm not a big fan of Tolkien and the original trilogy and I've read the book a very long time ago, so guess I'm being impartial here. I've definitely enjoyed the movie, it's well-filmed (no wonder in that), but it suffers from one thing, and that'd be the book being split into three separate movies. Not just that, but three two-and-half-hour-long movies. As a result, the story gains a bunch of unnecessary and often uninteresting details and the beginning feels awkwardly slow, the first half an hour of the film could easily be shortened thrice or so. But once the beginning's over, you'll get immersed in the world of Middle Earth. Another thing is I think that Bilbo is actually a better protagonist than Frodo - he's brave, modest and funny, another great performance by Martin Freeman. Anyway, it's a really good fantasy movie you definitely wouldn't wanna miss. Expand
  80. Dec 14, 2012
    Standalone review (ignoring lotr) - good although the way the film was set up, the humour was an essential factor to capturing the viewer imo, in my viewing many of the clearly "funny" bits were very awkward and not quite sure if they were meant to be funny, for example the bit where boffur tossed bombur a sausage and for no apparent reason the table broke. the thing is, the book wasStandalone review (ignoring lotr) - good although the way the film was set up, the humour was an essential factor to capturing the viewer imo, in my viewing many of the clearly "funny" bits were very awkward and not quite sure if they were meant to be funny, for example the bit where boffur tossed bombur a sausage and for no apparent reason the table broke. the thing is, the book was pretty weird, didn't really stick together like lotr, it was a very all over the place novel with barely any constant descriptions of characters especially the dwarves. i think that's where this film fell short, it had brilliant fight scenes, good character development and good back story but the characters themselves sucked and felt very transparent. they felt genuine and reused. gollum was the only beacon of hope, personally my favourite scene in the whole film, it managed to make me laugh properly and really built bilbo as being brave and humorous at the same time instead of being a bumbling coward. all in all, good little film, although it had no inspiration apart from lotr, lotr clearly took a lot of inspiration from shakespeare and some other films, this film clearly had none of that. think about the way the characters talked in lotr, it was much more medieval, at one point in the hobbit one of the dwarves ASKED FOR CHIPS?? REALLY? CHIPS? IN MIDDLE EARTH? YOU WANT CHIPS?! YOU THINK THEY HAVE DEEP FAT FRIARS IN MIDDLE EARTH???? Expand
  81. Dec 27, 2012
    Though it packs visual grandeur beyond our greatest imaginations, it is a film whose pace is deathly slow and indolent - it slogs on painfully, resulting in the bloated, overlong film that it is. 'The Hobbit' has its resplendent moments which remind you that Peter Jackson is the director, but these moments are too seldom found in the film. Furthermore, the conflicting forces of a demeanorThough it packs visual grandeur beyond our greatest imaginations, it is a film whose pace is deathly slow and indolent - it slogs on painfully, resulting in the bloated, overlong film that it is. 'The Hobbit' has its resplendent moments which remind you that Peter Jackson is the director, but these moments are too seldom found in the film. Furthermore, the conflicting forces of a demeanor of innocence (which is derived from the fact the book was written for children) and the epic tone that is attempted to be carried on from the Lord of the Rings trilogy results in an overall effect of inconsistency and general lack of acuity in the tone of the film. "The Hobbit" is satisfying because of the power of the on-screen spectacles and the near-hymnic power of the sound track, despite its obvious inability to even loiter in the same league as the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Expand
  82. Dec 16, 2012
    With only a 65% on RT and a rather mixed reaction from the critics, I was quite worried that this movie would turn out disastrously. Fear not, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is a great movie even if it isn't necessarily as amazing as I expected. That being said, the movie is not without its flaws. There are some scenes that feel a bit too stretched out, and better saved for theWith only a 65% on RT and a rather mixed reaction from the critics, I was quite worried that this movie would turn out disastrously. Fear not, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is a great movie even if it isn't necessarily as amazing as I expected. That being said, the movie is not without its flaws. There are some scenes that feel a bit too stretched out, and better saved for the extended edition. Also, the CGI feels a bit overused at times. Other than that, everything about this movie is great. The movie keeps the lighthearted tone of the book while also having epic battle sequences and decapitations. The character development is really good, especially with Bilbo. The performances are spot on, and the ending leaves you wanting more. If you're a fan of LOTR, fantasy, or good movies, you should definitely see this--preferably during some time in the day, as it is pretty long. Expand
  83. Dec 29, 2012
    Go into this movie making sure you do NOT expect it to be the Lord of the Rings. Unfortunately, the movie's biggest flaw is inviting that comparison (pay close attention and you can take screenshots that will nearly match LOTR exactly). The movie is great for what it is though. Exciting, funny, and adventurous. This is a movie about an adventure, not an epic quest of good versus evil. ItGo into this movie making sure you do NOT expect it to be the Lord of the Rings. Unfortunately, the movie's biggest flaw is inviting that comparison (pay close attention and you can take screenshots that will nearly match LOTR exactly). The movie is great for what it is though. Exciting, funny, and adventurous. This is a movie about an adventure, not an epic quest of good versus evil. It also seems to be more Tolkein-ish, more like a fantasy. By that, I mean you see more creatures and they are not just "war things": you see a good amount of goblins and trolls and learn about how the creatures are outside of just using a weapon. There are also foreshadowing minor bits that hint at the events of LOTR 60 years in the future. All in all, this movie was highly enjoyable--especially with such a magnificent cast! Expand
  84. Dec 23, 2013
    An Unexpected Journey is an overlong film, which seems to buckle under its own weight. The journey is beautifully imagined, but no so beautifully realized. There is some of the Middle-earth magic we have come to love (Riddles in the Dark), but it mostly falls flat.
  85. Jan 23, 2013
    Going into The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (or The Hobbit, as I will refer to it for the purpose of this review) I had very low expectations. When Peter Jackson announced it would be three movies, let alone two movies where I had already felt the source material was being stretched, I cringed. I knew no matter what the reviews were, I
  86. Jan 21, 2013
    Despite the harsh criticism about how, "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" did not live up to expectations and how it was not nearly as good as "The Lord of the Rings", "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" should be looked upon based on its morals, and not purely on comparison. It is simply not fair to base a movie on its sequels or prequels. A film should be based on how it stands as aDespite the harsh criticism about how, "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" did not live up to expectations and how it was not nearly as good as "The Lord of the Rings", "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" should be looked upon based on its morals, and not purely on comparison. It is simply not fair to base a movie on its sequels or prequels. A film should be based on how it stands as a film alone, nothing else.

This film is full of amazing set pieces and epic battle scenes that provide great entertainment. While nothing is R-Rated, there are some nasty bits of arm-cutting and head-rolling, but nothing too gruesome. After all, this movie is mainly a kids movie. The film has a much lighter side to it than the Lord of the Rings films did, rightly so.

The character performances in this film are mostly superb, even though some may be a bit corny. The CGI is great for the most part, and are surprisingly detailed. However, the best and most entertaining scene in this film is when Smeagol comes in. The game of riddles is highly entertaining and was one of the highlights of the movie. Sometimes, Smeagol can appear a little too real.

One thing that I did notice with this film, is that Peter Jackson decided to create it with the future in mind. Meaning that everything in this movie is designed to fit what is to come. I can't really give examples without spoiling anything, but when or if you've watched it, you'll probably know what I mean.

Overall, "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" is an unexpected joy to watch, especially for fans of the book. Even for those who aren't, there is still much to enjoy. While not a masterpiece and while it does suffer from some stupid scenes (SPOILERS), such as trolls dangling the dwarves and the hobbit from their fingers and for some reason deciding not to kill them... and Gandalf always popping in to save everyone last second, this movie is mainly a building block for what is to come. I would still watch this movie again just for Smeagol.
  87. Dec 30, 2012
    If you go in thinking, Lord of the Rings, prepare to be disappointed because The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is inferior to all three of the LotR flicks. That said, it's still a well-composed, fun, beautiful and exciting film full of light-hearted whimsy, which is refreshing for a fantasy film. The plot just lacks the stakes of apocalyptic doom, which is more of a downfall of 'TheIf you go in thinking, Lord of the Rings, prepare to be disappointed because The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is inferior to all three of the LotR flicks. That said, it's still a well-composed, fun, beautiful and exciting film full of light-hearted whimsy, which is refreshing for a fantasy film. The plot just lacks the stakes of apocalyptic doom, which is more of a downfall of 'The Hobbit' being primarily a children's story as opposed to Lord of the Rings deeper, darker, more symbolic narrative. Expand
  88. Dec 23, 2012
    Peter Jackson tried with this movie to satisfied all the TLOTR fans, without paying attention to the other people who don´t have any idea about what this movie is about. And because of that, if you haven´t seen the other movies or if you don´t enjoy them, this movie would dislike you. The first half an hour of the film is a bit stopped, without action nor battles. ThePeter Jackson tried with this movie to satisfied all the TLOTR fans, without paying attention to the other people who don´t have any idea about what this movie is about. And because of that, if you haven´t seen the other movies or if you don´t enjoy them, this movie would dislike you. The first half an hour of the film is a bit stopped, without action nor battles. The problem of the Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is that all the fantasy of the other movies and all the special senses comes at the end of the film, and the other 2 hours are a bit disappointing. I enjoyed so much this movie, ´cause I´m fan of the others and I love the movies. If you liked the others, you´ll enjoy this one. Expand
  89. Nov 2, 2013
    It starts out slow with some story telling, but don`t give up on it cause it picks up, and takes you into the adventure you probably expected.The thing is when I ask myself if I was really amazed, the answer is no for the most part, but it was a good watch.
  90. Dec 14, 2012
    I'm certainly not going to tell you to not see this movie. Peter Jackson proves that he's at a higher caliber of production than most filmmakers these days. However, compared to his previous works, especially The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Hobbit is lacking. The pacing is jagged, and flip-flops between fast jumping thst rips you out of the plot and drags in many combat scenes. BeyondI'm certainly not going to tell you to not see this movie. Peter Jackson proves that he's at a higher caliber of production than most filmmakers these days. However, compared to his previous works, especially The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Hobbit is lacking. The pacing is jagged, and flip-flops between fast jumping thst rips you out of the plot and drags in many combat scenes. Beyond that, the writers have taken plenty of liberties with the plot that only weigh it down; keeping track of all the extra info can be frustrating. However, the acting is superb, and it's hard not to invest yourself in the characters as they trek through Middle Earth. It's definitely worth seeing, but don't expect to be blown away like the first three. Expand
  91. Dec 14, 2012
    And epic adventure of 13 unlikely heroes, The Hobbit is a great movie worthy of Tolkien's work, and one of Jackson's best movies to date. Watching in awe as the camera flies through the majestic mountain kingdom of Erebor was enough for me to be satisfied with the film... and that was only the first scene!
  92. Dec 15, 2012
    An undoubtedly well-made movie that is characterized by its immersive and enchanting effects. Not only that, the movie is very fast-paced and really gives an enjoyable time. Although there are a few problems in this movie, for instance, the length of the movie can really distinguish itself from other cinematics, due to its enormous length keeping you from going on the toilet - mainlyAn undoubtedly well-made movie that is characterized by its immersive and enchanting effects. Not only that, the movie is very fast-paced and really gives an enjoyable time. Although there are a few problems in this movie, for instance, the length of the movie can really distinguish itself from other cinematics, due to its enormous length keeping you from going on the toilet - mainly because you are too immovable during the movie. I may not be the only one that finds it disturbing not being able to go on the toilet because of the abovementioned. Anyway, Peter Jackson did a great job on the movie, the 48 frames per second is just remarkable, and not to talk about the 3D, which gave an actual feeling of being in the movie. Since I have not read the book, I have nothing to compare with, except its previous movies (The Lord Of The Rings trilogy). Expand
  93. Mar 25, 2013
    I'm too tired to write a full blown review for this one. S if you're interested in whether you should see this movie or not. I will tell you this. This is NOT the Lord of the Rings. Do not expect a starting film of the same proportions. Go into this movie expecting an adventure (Unlike Bilbo :D) Go into it, snuggle up and watch some really cool action sequences, some great dialogue betweenI'm too tired to write a full blown review for this one. S if you're interested in whether you should see this movie or not. I will tell you this. This is NOT the Lord of the Rings. Do not expect a starting film of the same proportions. Go into this movie expecting an adventure (Unlike Bilbo :D) Go into it, snuggle up and watch some really cool action sequences, some great dialogue between some of your favorite characters and see some great villains and plot points unfold. If you're coming from the book, you will be pleased to know it does an absolutely terrific job of displaying Tolkiens vision. It's a good watch and I'm sure the next two will be even better 7/10 Expand
  94. Dec 20, 2012
    "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" is a revolutionary film that has now expanded how film can be shot. Using the new 48-frames per second with stunning 3-D we get an absolutely beautiful picture that shows how real a movie can look. While this is all great, I found that I really enjoyed the way Peter Jackson shot and filmed his original trilogy, with lots of makeup, huge sets, and limited"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" is a revolutionary film that has now expanded how film can be shot. Using the new 48-frames per second with stunning 3-D we get an absolutely beautiful picture that shows how real a movie can look. While this is all great, I found that I really enjoyed the way Peter Jackson shot and filmed his original trilogy, with lots of makeup, huge sets, and limited CGI(Computer Graphic Images). I found that while this film is beautiful, I could tell when a creature was CGI and I found it heavily distracting. The original trilogy got Oscars for makeup! and now they were using CGI for most of their characters and back sets. I give it a seven because while it was very cool to look at, I found it to be merely entertaining;a good way to spend three-hours at movies. Expand
  95. Dec 30, 2012
    Lighter in tone than Lotr, the hobbit tries hard to remain recognisable within the screen world established so well in the first trilogy. And on the whole, it succeeds. It is, however, a weaker film. Martin freeman is no Elijah wood, he is simply not as strong an actor, although us likeable in the role. The story does not consistently revolve around his viewpoint. There is cgi overload,Lighter in tone than Lotr, the hobbit tries hard to remain recognisable within the screen world established so well in the first trilogy. And on the whole, it succeeds. It is, however, a weaker film. Martin freeman is no Elijah wood, he is simply not as strong an actor, although us likeable in the role. The story does not consistently revolve around his viewpoint. There is cgi overload, and although thrilling at times, too many action scenes in the second half with our heroes in perilous situations where we all know gandalf will turn up at the last minute and rescue them. Or eagles. Again. The story feels padded at times, and over stretched like butter over bread. Highlights were the shire opening, the trolls, and gollum. Some solid performances too from previous actors, as well as several strong newcomers. I suspect and hope this will be the weakest of the three films, overall enjoyable, not as hood as Lotr and unlike that trilogy, I found it left me cold, but hopeful. Expand
  96. Jan 3, 2013
    The quality of the film is a far cry from that of "The Lord of the Rings"; but for the novel 3D format, the film would be insipid; so many sections of the film are predictable. The script and direction are ordinary, as is the dialogue which is bereft of all poetic quality and thus utterly generic; since this isn't a silent film, it affects the very feel of the film.
  97. Jan 4, 2013
    "The Hobbit" is a nice movie to watch if you want to fall asleep. Personally I've in it when it was released and I almost fell asleep. The action and everything else is pushed to the limit, in other words they should have made only a movie from the book and not 3. I do not think it is normal to take you less to read the book than see the movies. Of course it may be my fault for expecting"The Hobbit" is a nice movie to watch if you want to fall asleep. Personally I've in it when it was released and I almost fell asleep. The action and everything else is pushed to the limit, in other words they should have made only a movie from the book and not 3. I do not think it is normal to take you less to read the book than see the movies. Of course it may be my fault for expecting too much from the movie and I was disappointed. Although it is quite boring, "The Hobbit" has some scenes that are worth seeing for the lovers of Tolkien's books as I am. Expand
  98. Jan 6, 2013
    It was good but lacked the structure and epic feeling of the Lord of the Rings. It was too long with enough songs to be classified as a musical. Half of this movie could be gone and it would be ten times better. It is a classic representation of how good Peter Jackson's storytelling ability and the Ian Mckellen's acting ability.
  99. Jan 7, 2013
    Tolkien fans will know the story well. Many years before Frodo travels to Mordor in Lord of the Rings, Bilbo Baggins embarks on an adventure of his own. Hired as a

1. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer