Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: December 13, 2013
Generally favorable reviews based on 1616 Ratings
1,281
Watch Now
CanyarionDec 13, 2013
"Decent fantasy-action slightly inspired by The Hobbit"
Most reviews will tell you what's so great about this movie and why it's worth watching, but I figured you should hear the other side of the story.
First of all a small note for
"Decent fantasy-action slightly inspired by The Hobbit"

First of all a small note for Tolkien fans. If you thought An Unexpected Journey strayed a bit too far from the book: The Desolation of Smaug looks like the script writers didn't even know there was a book. The movie tries hard to change the story wherever it can, reducing fan-favorite chapters to 5 minute scenes and writing new content that feels out of place.

But it's not only bad if you've read the book. I really wonder what the target audience is, because it feels like it's written for 15 year old boys. There are random action scenes every 10 minutes and 'funny' decapitations every 30. The worst thing here is that the action comes at the cost of character development. You have a band of 13 Dwarfs and a Hobbit, yet you rarely see them interact.

Now I like Elves more than Dwarfs, so I didn't mind seeing so much of them in this movie. But having them show up in every place to save the day feels wrong. Perhaps Peter Jackson thought his cast of Dwarfs wasn't good enough to create an enjoyable movie? Gandalf's scenes in Dol Guldur were an interesting addition in concept, but they are just too slow. I feel his scenes mostly serve as an attempt to raise The Hobbit to The Lord of the Rings' level of epicness. And that just doesn't work.

The story is full of illogicalities. How does entering the mountain to steal the Arkenstone to unite the Dwarfs to kill the Dragon to enter the mountain work exactly?? And remember that heartwarming last scene of An Unexpected Journey, where Thorin finally accepts Bilbo? Well, that's all gone again. Even though he keeps outsmarting all the Dwarfs, Bilbo is back to being an unappreciated 5th wheel of the party. And did the writers really think viewers would be so desperate for a love story that they'd enjoy an Elf and a Dwarf flirting it up? Their scenes feel forced and are painful to watch.

Martin Freeman's acting is top notch again, but sadly he hardly gets any screen time. He only shines in his scene with Smaug. Now Smaug as a character is awesome, no complaints there. Yet most of his scenes are way too dragged out. There's a 20 minute scene with the Dwarfs running around thinking they can defeat him. Only at that point the movie already hinted at the only possible way of defeating him. Perhaps the worst aspect is that these scenes make Smaug look like an unintelligent creature. Dwarfs luring a Dragon around by going "Nana-nanana you can't catch me!" is not only silly and cliché, it's an insult to Smaug's character.

Final complaint: the whole movie builds up to a scene.... that's apparently going to be the opening scene of movie 3. Nobody in the cinema was sure if the movie had ended, or there was just an awkwardly long pause when the screen went black.

A movie like this you'll want to see, no matter how good or bad it is. You can't miss out on such a huge release, especially when it looks gorgeous in HFR 3D. But where I watched each Lord of the Rings movie 3 times in cinema, watching The Desolation of Smaug just once was enough for me.

In the end, most problems of the movie seem to stem from the decision to turn the cute Hobbit tale into three epic movies that have to live up to the Lord of the Rings hype. It doesn't work.
sarahjreanreadDec 13, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I LOVED the first film in this series. The Hobbit was a wonderful recreation of the first part of the book, with a few embellishments here and there that I endured. This, however, was a complete embarrassment to the Lord of the Rings series, J.R.R. Tolkien and Peter Jackson. I wanted to love it, I even forced myself to sit through the entire thing in theaters, but I just hate it. I would not take a copy of this home if you offered it to me for free, because I know watching it would only make me angry and disappointed all over again. As someone who has read all of the books and previous movies, this just felt like a pathetic excuse for a move today. This just felt like a "filler" film between two movies. Perhaps it was the producers being greedy, wanting 3 movies out of a book that is smaller than the smallest volume of the Lord of the Rings. However it happened, it was just disgraceful. More than half of the scenes were pulled straight out of thin air. Only a few were actually from the book this trilogy is supposed to be based on, like the barrels scene and Bilbo's talk with Smaug (although the sequence the followed was NOTHING like the book's version). What little plot that was included was embellished and out of order, and honestly were ruined for me by the imagined plots thrown into the film. On top of all that, this film had terrible pacing, and was outright cheesy at times. This was just a really, really sad excuse for a sequel. I wish they had just followed the book and stuck to two movies, the original plan. Not even sure if I am going to see the third one at this point, given the way this one turned out. Such a big fan of Tolkien's work and what Peter Jackson has done with his other novels, but this was just painful. Friends don't let friends who have read the book watch this move. Gets a 0/10 for me. I felt like not only did I waste my money, but I should have been paid to watch this poor excuse for a film. Expand
20 of 36 users found this helpful2016
PradyuDec 13, 2013
I feel this movie receives unfair criticism from critics who compare it to the LOTR trilogy. The Hobbit was a children's book written by Tolkien for his kids and which was written before LOTR was even conceived. It was only after theI feel this movie receives unfair criticism from critics who compare it to the LOTR trilogy. The Hobbit was a children's book written by Tolkien for his kids and which was written before LOTR was even conceived. It was only after the popularity of this book and demand for a follow up that Tolkien set forth to write LOTR. It is supposed to be a fun and adventurous book and that is what the movie tries to present.
I watched the movie in IMAX 3D HFR 48fps and i loved the whole experience. I understand that this rendering of the cinema has many critics. It is important to note every cinematic experience relies on the suspension of disbelief. It is unfair to criticise the realistic quality of the backdrop of a fantasy flick. The HFR really adds to the quality of action sequences.
The performances in the movie were adequate and the movie was well set-up for the final instalment of the series.
ZineZDec 13, 2013
Enjoyed it thoroughly. Much better than the first one, it's not as action based as the LOTR series but that's not a bad thing. It sets its own pace and is more "adventurey". Makes me laugh where needed and was just a ton of fun to go for atEnjoyed it thoroughly. Much better than the first one, it's not as action based as the LOTR series but that's not a bad thing. It sets its own pace and is more "adventurey". Makes me laugh where needed and was just a ton of fun to go for at launch night. Expand
AlderHaloDec 13, 2013
Improvement in drama & action over the prior film. Cool new characters.
Great fight sequences, particularly the barrels set-piece.
My only complaint would be there's some odd pacing at times.
Overall much better than an unexpected journey.
annilitaDec 13, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I feel like this franchise has become a sacred cow that no one is allowed to speak ill of.
I don't see how any fan of the original story could be happy with either of the Hobbit films, but this one was simply terrible. Every great thing about this part of the book was removed and replaced with orc fights. EVERY great thing. The humor, the perseverance, everything.
The CGI was really hit or miss until they entered the mountain, which is when the movie really came into it's own, just in time to end 20 minutes later. At one point, they mixed in helmet-cam footage from a crappy camera going through some rapids with high def footage from other angles. It looked ridiculous.
The love story fell so flat, you're left wondering why they bothered.
There was ZERO pay off in this film. If Jackson wanted to drag it out, he should have stuck to two films and stayed closer to the source material, because his embellishments have been absolute rubbish.
PopinFRESHDec 13, 2013
If you are an actual fan of Tolkien you will be sorely disappointed with this movie. I thought Jackson took a little too much creative license in Part 1, however compared to Part 2 it would seem like Part 1 was letter for letter from theIf you are an actual fan of Tolkien you will be sorely disappointed with this movie. I thought Jackson took a little too much creative license in Part 1, however compared to Part 2 it would seem like Part 1 was letter for letter from the book. It's as if Jackson simply read the chapter titles and shot a movie with what he would think was in a chapter that could have such a title.

Jackson spends far too much time truncating interesting portions of the story simply so he can fit more "nowhere-in-the-book" action scenes in spots that should have been done in one cut. Barrels out of Bond is a perfect example of this. Jackson lacks the concept of building a story up to a climax and simply turns the dial to 11 the entire time.
m_eldersDec 13, 2013
I went into The Desolation of Smaug with low expectations and managed to be disappointed. Like many, I love The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, but the prequel trilogy has yet to impress.

That’s not entirely true. Peter Jackson’s cameo made me

That’s not entirely true. Peter Jackson’s cameo made me laugh out loud. I also loved the visuals. My only complaint with An Unexpected Journey’s visuals was that the orcs looked totally different than they did in the LotR movies. Thankfully, the orcs (with the exception of that pale fellow and his chum) are back to their old menacing look and feel.

But TDoS does not impress in writing, acting, music, action sequences, or anything else.

Writing: If I had taken a drink every time there was a dramatic pause followed by some God-awful, stupid line, I might have given this review a higher score on account of being too inebriated to catch all the uninspired writing and nonsensical plot filler that littered the last half of the movie.

Acting: With how long this movie is, and with how much filler they squeezed in, it’s amazing to me that it never seemed like anyone had time to properly deliver a line of dialogue. Everything felt rushed. Questions bled into answers as if the characters knew what would be said before it was said. The emotions of the characters seemed either non-existent or so over the top that the viewer could not possibly relate.

Music: I didn’t notice it until the very end when I thought, “There’s music playing, isn’t there?” Any LotR fan knows this is a bad thing.

Action Sequences: These were my least favorite parts of the movie, and they took up about half of the time. I love a good action sequence when it’s done right. However, these are not. Half of the action was silly and cheesy, and the other half was boring (not quite half, actually, because I properly liked one bit of action: when that dwarf did a barrel roll, if you know what I mean). It was always predictable. “Predictable? That’s the nature of a prequel!” I hear you scream. Well then tell the writers to get the action over with fast so we can focus on, say, caring about the characters.

Anything Else: Smaug was stupid; he looked cliche-dragon, sounded cliche-deep-voice, and acted like an enemy in a bad action movie (coincidence???). The movie strayed far from the book. I mean, I’m not the sort to bad-mouth a movie because it’s different from the book, but I am one to bad-mouth a movie that ruins everything it touches in the book. Which in this case is everything.
phibbusDec 13, 2013
SPOILER ALERT! It stinks. END OF SPOILER.

Given that it's the same crap, part 2, this shouldn't come as any great shock. Jackson seems absolutely single-minded in his determination to prove just how much of a hare-brained mess he and
SPOILER ALERT! It stinks. END OF SPOILER.

Given that it's the same crap, part 2, this shouldn't come as any great shock.

Jackson seems absolutely single-minded in his determination to prove just how much of a hare-brained mess he and his nincompoop, amateur writing staff can make of a movie in the last years of his career. Apparently following his lead, the worshipful geeks in the special effects shop have set the bar as low as it will go so as not to outshine the awful script. Music is again on a repeat loop from the first trilogy. This is canned movie hacking taken to the least of the least common denominators, and it's hard to imagine how it can get any worse in part 3.

But surely Jackson will find a way.
imthenoobJan 27, 2015
The extended edition really did this one justice. Added so much more content, Built on a lot more to the story. It made a lot more of a satisfying movie than the original version of it. It's such a major step up from the first one. StillThe extended edition really did this one justice. Added so much more content, Built on a lot more to the story. It made a lot more of a satisfying movie than the original version of it. It's such a major step up from the first one. Still relies a bit too heavy on CGI but I can deal with it thanks to the improvement in the dialogue. Expand
Edward_FMar 13, 2014
This movie is a personalization of Hollywood's greed. Wonderful book was taken and transformed into trilogy with bizarre moments that were created in sick mind of script editors and references to Lord of the Rings that never were in original.This movie is a personalization of Hollywood's greed. Wonderful book was taken and transformed into trilogy with bizarre moments that were created in sick mind of script editors and references to Lord of the Rings that never were in original.

60% of movie is just made up to make it longer, but non is done in a good way. And it's just makes it boring as hell.

Please someone tell Peter Jackson that he is not Mr. Lucas. He is not filming pre-story to his wonderful trilogy. He is filing different book. let him read it.

The movie is not bad in general. It's good only 40% of time when it follows book. I hope they will make special edition based book authentic script and cutting three movies to look like they were made actually based on Hobbit. Not a greedy - mind created hobbit.
busbfranDec 28, 2013
I must admit I am a massive lord of the rings fan but the hobbit is a no no. Coming into this movie not expecting much I was blown away by the first half it was fun, exciting and had some decent sets. But after the chase down the river theI must admit I am a massive lord of the rings fan but the hobbit is a no no. Coming into this movie not expecting much I was blown away by the first half it was fun, exciting and had some decent sets. But after the chase down the river the movie to a turn for the worse and man if man it was dragged out. Myself and a friend fell asleep first time this has ever happened! some much was happening at once the story went a wire and is one of if not the most boring movie I have ever seen. Waste of 3 hours and money. Expand
EnaidMar 3, 2014
This movie was absolutely horrible!!! I love the first 2 films (they are my favorite), but this. My god, I couldn't wait for this movie to get over with. I just hated it!
v3ntDec 20, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I got fed up of Hobbits staring open mouthed, feeling faint & ogling over rings in the first trilogy I was looking forward Jackson pulling back on the clumsy and overstated references for the Hobbit series and refining his story telling somewhat. No such luck.

The book is actually quite funny and the characters and there interactions hold the story. They seem like a second thought in this movie. Why are they all so suspicious of each other all the time? It gets so boring and repetitive and doesn't follow true to the book. And instead of trying to tackle the more difficult parts of the story that a book can do easily he just inserts loads of action scenes or even voice overs. [spoilers ahead] The first trilogy really gave the impressions of them having to get somewhere far away whereas here there's no pace and they basically walk into a wood, got caught then floated down a river to the mountain. Its more like a 3 hour domino rally.

I was looking forward to Bilbo and Smaug having a chatter but was interrupted by the dwarves which was followed by another dodgy rollercoaster of an action scene to an abrupt ending.

The Hobbit series is also starting to undermine the LOTR trilogy with endless & pointless references to the great evil, Sauron & the ring which was barely mentioned in the hobbit book. No one knew anything about it at the start of LOTR. After this movie you'd think Gandalf and the rest would of put 2 2 together as about 60 years later they fight the same villain with the same name!

I'm honestly starting to thing that it was padded out and split into 3 films so he could make 33% more profits for next to nothing and also save a massive amount of time actually editing out all the nonsense.
SupermegaguyJan 10, 2014
You might enjoy this if you know absolutely nothing about the source material and are also a brain dead moron. Seriously this movie is way way too long and has so much needless stuff shoehorned in I can't believe it's made by the same guyYou might enjoy this if you know absolutely nothing about the source material and are also a brain dead moron. Seriously this movie is way way too long and has so much needless stuff shoehorned in I can't believe it's made by the same guy that made The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Truly Peter Jackson is the new George Lucas. I'm glad he's not the one making these stories up though. The books will always be there for those who really want to know about the world Tolkien crafted with his words. Expand
JohnArchonApr 8, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all, I'd like to apologise to my eyes for making them watch this garbage.
The book was fantastic, the 2 movies (so far) are crap.
The story has been changed so much that it's barely recognizable.
Did the script writers even READ the book?
Where did Legolas come from?
Orcs chasing the barrels down the river?
Orcs in Laketown?
The entire fight sequence between the dwarves and Smaug just didn't happen. Smaug was already dead by the time the dwarves went into Eribor.
I didn't know bard had kids? There were none in the book.
I could go on and on, but you get the point.
I'm sure that if J.R.R. was alive today, he'd be suing someone for the butcher job they did on his story.
If you insist on seeing it, may I suggest you go to your local video store and RENT it for $5.00
GBJohnApr 20, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off, I guess I should give two scores. If you have not read the book, it's probably worth a 6 or 7 (and shame on you). If you have read the book, you might feel that I am being too generous. I believe that the screen writers MAY have heard of J. R. R. Tolkien from a friend or something. The relationship ends there. I can only hope that this series of movies will be remade by someone who actually cares about the story instead of the almighty dollar. I spent the entire second half of the movie shaking my head, muttering,"No, no, no! That didn't happen like that!" The only movies I have seen that butchered their source material this badly were Eragon and Kubrick's version of The Shining. Expand
IntroduceJun 15, 2014
The Hobbit: The Desolation of....whatever.
The final result of a trilogy dying on it's knees,
Who really ever never cared about a hobbit enough to devote 3 films
to there kind,
PuppetmanInBCDec 23, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie deviates so far from the book as to make it not really an adaptation. Peter Jackson has taken The Hobbit and turned it into a spectacle, adding violence and action where it didn't exist in the book. Legolas wasn't in The Hobbit, and he didn't slay 30 orcs inside Dale. And his female companion is also a new character and between herself and Legolas, they probably killed an entire army of orcs.

No dwarves were left behind in Dale they all went. No dwarves went looking for Bilbo as he went exploring into the halls of the Lonely Mountain the first time.

What was done well? The dragon, and that's about it. The rest of the movie was as subtle as an dwarven axe to the head. The gentleness of hobbits, the warm nuances of the book, were lost in this ridiculous pile of over exaggerated crap.

Avoid it it's ruined JRR Tolkien's legacy. Go and read the book to your kids instead.
wishmasterJan 5, 2014
this movie disappointed me so catastrophically that have no desire to see the last part of this series, I can not believe that even the special effects did not fill me, the story was poor, regular performances.
The truth I'm giving you three
The truth I'm giving you three because still rules the ghost of Lord of the Rings.
Gil8ertJan 28, 2014
What George Lucas did to Star Wars pales into insignificance compared to what Peter Jackson has done to Middle Earth. There is so much ethereal mulch and noticeable CGI crammed into the visuals that it is almost impossible to be carried alongWhat George Lucas did to Star Wars pales into insignificance compared to what Peter Jackson has done to Middle Earth. There is so much ethereal mulch and noticeable CGI crammed into the visuals that it is almost impossible to be carried along on the journey because you can't believe they are on a journey, and it's certainly very difficult to make out uniquely discernible locations. Crammed full of not only tired movie cliches, but badly and needlessly re-used ideas from the LOTR films.
The script is awful and plodding and without any joy or bite, and the constant use of panoramic, sweeping camera shots was in the end both annoying and alienating.
It is a poor imitation of the LOTR films and a poor film in it's own right - ridiculously strung out for no apparent or rewarding reason.

Lastly - what these films have done to the story from the book is, for my money, nothing less than hateful. The Hobbit is a magical tale which has been decapitated and gutted until a thin, barely recognisable husk has remained. This second installment is worse than the first, which in itself should be a punishable crime.
nicholasbertJan 16, 2014
Blatantly visual-oriented, tries to be funny but isn't, tries to be spectacular but only seldom is, not consistent with the book, acting is horrid, the epic i-am-the-hero discourses are just over the top and what's wrong with Orlando Bloom'sBlatantly visual-oriented, tries to be funny but isn't, tries to be spectacular but only seldom is, not consistent with the book, acting is horrid, the epic i-am-the-hero discourses are just over the top and what's wrong with Orlando Bloom's eyes?

On the other hand, special fx are stunning, especially the scenes with Smaug (which by the way last very little) and the voice of Smaug himself is transcendental. I'm personally biased towards films like this, for I don't usually like fantasy, but this one is not so bad after all.
TerenceYiboFeb 3, 2014
惊险刺激的中土之旅,抛去前作的种种铺垫,哈比人2的节奏更加流畅,唯一的不足,长湖镇的戏略显沉闷,当然抵达孤山之后, 和史矛革的对峙相当精彩。视觉效果出类拔萃,蜘蛛/龙的造型设计堪称完美,精灵族的造型超级美,同时场景设计美轮美奂,配乐不如首部曲但也高水准。不过彼得夹克逊对于原著的篡改实在是令人吃惊和不满。惊险刺激的中土之旅,抛去前作的种种铺垫,哈比人2的节奏更加流畅,唯一的不足,长湖镇的戏略显沉闷,当然抵达孤山之后, 和史矛革的对峙相当精彩。视觉效果出类拔萃,蜘蛛/龙的造型设计堪称完美,精灵族的造型超级美,同时场景设计美轮美奂,配乐不如首部曲但也高水准。不过彼得夹克逊对于原著的篡改实在是令人吃惊和不满。
GrabacrJan 7, 2014
Still not at the level of LOTR, but an improvement over the first movie (which I did still like, just not as much). Just one thing, if you haven't read the book or seen the first movie, you absolutely have to do one or the other before youStill not at the level of LOTR, but an improvement over the first movie (which I did still like, just not as much). Just one thing, if you haven't read the book or seen the first movie, you absolutely have to do one or the other before you see this or you won't know what the hell is going on, because it jumps right in. Otherwise, this is one good movie. Expand
TroublewalkingApr 30, 2014
If your not a fan of the Hobbit series, don't waste your time watching this movie. It is by far the worse in the series.

If your a Hardcore Hobbit fan, this movie would have to be rated hypocrisy. This movie takes the way Disney changes stories to something unrecognizable, to whole new levels. Except Disney creates entertaining movies. At least half of the movie, has nothing to do with the actual Hobbit story.

My family and I had to laugh at how absurdly off this movie was. Half of the fun was making up more absurdly inaccurate Hobbit tales. Laughing at Jackson's "Desolation of the Hobbit" tale was the only reason I give this a 3.

The only reason to watch this movie, is because it uses more frame rates than most. This "Historical" factor, has to be the only reason "Movie fans" are rating it highly. However, most won't notice it, unless watching it on an absolutely top of the line system.
roasterApr 12, 2014
I am so bitter after writing my first review of this film that I feel I have to add to it by assuming the great Ian Mckellen was asked to play down his acting ability so as not to undermine the other mediocre performances in both these filmsI am so bitter after writing my first review of this film that I feel I have to add to it by assuming the great Ian Mckellen was asked to play down his acting ability so as not to undermine the other mediocre performances in both these films ...I look forward greatly when I hear of a monumental fantasy film in the pipe line as they are far and few between....I hope a director with vision and the backing of a major studio have the balls between them to bring us another fantasy tour de force such as Terry Brooks shannara series or the fantastic works of Raymond E Feist.....IF YOU ARE LISTENING JACKO,GET YOUR HEAD OUT YOUR ARSE AND BRAIN BACK IN GEAR AND BEAT EM TO THE PUNCH Expand
adpirtleAug 15, 2014
The second film in this trilogy dispenses with the relative reverence of the first, and that turns out to be a good thing. Its predecessor suffered a bit because it couldn't decide whether it wanted to be a scene-for-scene retelling of theThe second film in this trilogy dispenses with the relative reverence of the first, and that turns out to be a good thing. Its predecessor suffered a bit because it couldn't decide whether it wanted to be a scene-for-scene retelling of the novel or a looser, action-oriented adaptation. This film resides firmly in the second camp, and everything works better for it. For example, the escape from the Woodland Realm is every bit as over the top as the last film's escape from Goblin-town, but it doesn't feel so out of place, so it's easier just to kick back and enjoy the ride. The changes from the book once again mostly work, and in this case actually make more sense. Bard the Bargeman might not be as awesome as Bard the Bowman, at least not yet, but he is much more fleshed out, and the film finally gives the Company a decent reason for needing a burglar. I could have done without the dwarf-dragon battle at the end, I really liked the addition of Tauriel.

My biggest objection continues to be the over-reliance on CGI. Make no mistake, the Smaug of the title is every bit as incredible as I ever imagined he could be, but decision to animate Azog's son doesn't work out so well. I understand that it was a late decision to give what was originally a live performance a computer makeover, and it shows in how unrealistic he looks next to Daddy.

Overall, this is another fine addition to Jackson's Middle-earth saga, expanding on the previous film while avoiding its pacing pitfalls.
CrazzaGamingDec 18, 2013
The Hobbit The Desolation Of Smaug was a great movie i enjoyed every second on it. It has the story of the book with some more added features. The addition of Evangeline Lilly made the movie a top for me. If you have not seen this movie IThe Hobbit The Desolation Of Smaug was a great movie i enjoyed every second on it. It has the story of the book with some more added features. The addition of Evangeline Lilly made the movie a top for me. If you have not seen this movie I strongly suggest you go rent it buy it see it in theatres. 10/10 great movie!! Expand
Gamer4life1985Dec 21, 2013
Such a damn good movie; unbelievable I definitely recommend it. Nonstop in action, brilliant storytelling, etc... It's one of those movies that shouts in your mind afterward "It was definitely worth my price of admission." Will see itSuch a damn good movie; unbelievable I definitely recommend it. Nonstop in action, brilliant storytelling, etc... It's one of those movies that shouts in your mind afterward "It was definitely worth my price of admission." Will see it again before it leaves theaters xD Expand
khoinJan 2, 2014
I'm a big LOTR fan and thought the first Hobbit was OK typical visual candy and decent story but TDOS really took the story to another extraordinary level. The last 30 minutes of this movie blew my friggin mind. I've never seen a movieI'm a big LOTR fan and thought the first Hobbit was OK typical visual candy and decent story but TDOS really took the story to another extraordinary level. The last 30 minutes of this movie blew my friggin mind. I've never seen a movie that so seamlessly integrated mind-bending effects so effectively. Talking dragons? Really? It works. Seriously Expand
StaticSpineDec 22, 2013
Another breathtaking part of an Epic adventure. Three hours of pure epicness. I have no idea what else to say about the movie, just go see it yourself.
Wraithe1Dec 30, 2013
An honest opinion from an average Joe who is no LoTR fan-boy. I honestly thought this movie was one of the best I've seen this year. Aside from some ridiculous elven gymnastics it was very entertaining, didn't seem overly long, and set upAn honest opinion from an average Joe who is no LoTR fan-boy. I honestly thought this movie was one of the best I've seen this year. Aside from some ridiculous elven gymnastics it was very entertaining, didn't seem overly long, and set up everything well for the finale. I look forward to the holiday season next year to finish this thing off. My three young children enjoyed this movie greatly as well. They all actually sat quietly and watched it without whining for snacks or bathroom escorts. Solid 9. Expand
NolaneDec 17, 2013
Coming a year after the underrated and underappreciated “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,” Peter Jackson strikes again with the year’s best movie- “The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug.” After a brief prologue featuring an excellentComing a year after the underrated and underappreciated “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,” Peter Jackson strikes again with the year’s best movie- “The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug.” After a brief prologue featuring an excellent flashback conversation between Thorin Oakenshield and the wizard Gandalf, the movie hits the ground running and pretty much never looks back. This is a much more action packed movie than its predecessor, featuring an intense giant spider attack sequence in Mirkwood Forest, a thrilling river barrel chase sequence as the dwarves attempt to escape from Elvish captors, an intense battle between Gandalf and Sauron, and a non-stop battle with the Dragon Smaug at the end. As is to be expected, all technical credits are first rate, from the often brilliant special effects, to the stirring Howard Shore musical score, to the excellent use of High Frame Rate 3D. In addition, the film delivers some outstanding acting, with particularly good performances from Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield, Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins and Luke Evans as a well-developed and sympathetic Bard the Bowman. It is also great to see Orlando Bloom’s Legolas back in action, and despite the initial controversy, the addition of Evangilne Lilly as the female elf warrior Tauriel is a welcome addition, even if she does not appear in the book. The crowning achievement of the movie, however, is the Dragon Smaug (the best dragon ever portrayed on the silver screen) and his initial reveal in the ancient kingdom of Erebor is absolutely perfect. This is followed by an Indiana Jones style climax that ends in a real cliffhanger that might irritate some. For me it just means that the final movie, “The Hobbit: There And Back Again” will launch with an absolutely incredible action sequence. Like “The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers”, “Desolation” does not really have a beginning or an end, but like that brilliant movie, it is definitely one hell of a middle. Expand
Jamison12Dec 16, 2013
I loved the first Hobbit and saw nothing wrong with it. The Desolation of Smaug is a masterpiece and makes the previous installment look like crap. Peter Jackson's interpretation of Middle earth seems to be more and more breathtaking everyI loved the first Hobbit and saw nothing wrong with it. The Desolation of Smaug is a masterpiece and makes the previous installment look like crap. Peter Jackson's interpretation of Middle earth seems to be more and more breathtaking every film. This could very well be one of the best movies in the saga. Expand
bmaster4616Dec 16, 2013
The first one was one of those movies that you hated or only though was alright. Certain things about the first one was crappy as hell (CGI orcs). This one was completely on another level. Loved it from start to finish and the ending wasThe first one was one of those movies that you hated or only though was alright. Certain things about the first one was crappy as hell (CGI orcs). This one was completely on another level. Loved it from start to finish and the ending was perfect. The music at the end should win an Oscar, because it was awesome. There were a few flaws in it like the fact that Legolas had a bigger role and the length of the movie was just way too long...other than that I loved it. The fight scenes were top notch, it was funny, the dragon scene was amazing, etc. Expand
DemonSoulDec 18, 2013
This is 10 for OMG this movie was so good. If you're looking for an adventure with wizards and dragons, it doesn't get better than this. Epic and well told in every way with an astute attention to detail. The script and casting are excellentThis is 10 for OMG this movie was so good. If you're looking for an adventure with wizards and dragons, it doesn't get better than this. Epic and well told in every way with an astute attention to detail. The script and casting are excellent with amusingly clever and thoughtful dialogue. There's romance abrewing as well. There were also scenes that had the whole audience rolling with laughter. I enjoyed this movie immensely. Expand
EdenChiDec 16, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a great movie that offers a good moment in cinema. It does not follow the book, but only the outline. Otherwise, the film is likely to be less attractive. 3D is very well done, this is not a film made for the 3d but it is very well done, it gives good effect to some time. Expand
firstblood2Dec 19, 2013
Many people judge this movie for being to long and for adding in some extra scenes but to me that is a positive, cause now people who have read the book wont know everything that's coming up next. The action scenes are a lot better this timeMany people judge this movie for being to long and for adding in some extra scenes but to me that is a positive, cause now people who have read the book wont know everything that's coming up next. The action scenes are a lot better this time around especially the barrel scene. Expand
MacanoodoughJan 6, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just cannot believe the downplaying of major characters, their complete omission in some cases and the addition of some of Peter Jackson's own invention. HE DID NOT WRITE THESE BOOKS! Therefore he has NO RIGHT to change them in this manner. Pivotal storyline changed and the timeline all screwed up! There's some 40 years between The Hobbit and LotR, this is establishing a much shorter timeline. I don't want to put spoilers in but seriously, he has destroyed Tolkeins legacy with this. Bilbo is as all Hobbits a innocent, that's why he DOES NOT keep the ring hidden. Gandalf suspects but until he investigates, he does not know for sure and Bilbo DOES NOT LIE!!!!! Beorn had such a great role in the book, but thanks to PJ, he's just an illtempered giant, Im surprised he left him in at all. And the Barrel scene!?!?! OMG, can you be setting up the next water park ride for that stupid village in NZ? The leap of faith is the fantasy world itself, but the aim of those barrels....SHEESH, I haven't seen aim like that since Liam shot every exploding barrel in France in "Taken", And this Michael Bay non stop CGI action?!?!?!?! WTF!!!!!! The last movie was Harry Potter, this one is Transformers. The Hobbit DID NOT get the Peter Jackson who did LotR, it got the King Kong crap artist! I apologize for the spoilers and the anger, but seriously, I am a huge fan of the books and a man spent his entire life sweating every detail of his world. This is not homage, this is pissing on his grave! Expand
CiaranJDec 16, 2013
Again Peter Jackson has managed to impress me. Firstly, a few niggles that I want to get off my chest. I keep seeing reviewers comparing the Hobbit trilogy with the Lord of the Rings. While this is logically understandable, it should by noAgain Peter Jackson has managed to impress me. Firstly, a few niggles that I want to get off my chest. I keep seeing reviewers comparing the Hobbit trilogy with the Lord of the Rings. While this is logically understandable, it should by no means factor into the Hobbit trilogy reviews. Why? Because firstly the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings have two distinctly different feels to them, both in terms of the movies and the books. The Hobbit is supposed to be more colorful, fantasy orientated and vivid than the later more darker Lord of the Rings. And so it is saddening to see that people use the Lord of the Rings, despite the stark contrast in the concepts, as a benchmark/basis to justify low ratings.

Which is why when I entered the cinema, and just as I sat down now to review this movie I try to dispel all the bias and judgments that may affect me beforehand. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug was more exciting, action packed and energetic when compared to the first film, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. While the first film served to introduce the characters, set the pace of the film and slowly familarise the audience; it was expected that TDoS (The Desolation of Smaug) would quicken the tempo and pace, and by God it did just that! Fans of the first film will enjoy and welcome the countless fight scenes that are magical, well choreographed and don't feel over the top. If I had to pick one aspect of the film that I would of liked more, I probably would have liked to have seen more comical moments. Again, it is understandable why there were fewer comical laughs than the first film; mainly because of the quicker pace of the film, and the darker subplot; which meant that an excess of comedy would have made the sense of urgency prevalent throughout the film seem unrealistic.

Benedict Cumberbatch as the voice of Smaug was brilliant. Sinister, yet somehow I found myself sympathising with the dragon when he retold his version of events that led to him occupying the Lonely Mountain.

While the first film lacks action and pace, it ultimately reinforces the need for character introduction. While the second film lacks the slower pace of the first film, it is squashed by the sheer speed of which this film moves at. Even the introduction to the movie, felt as though a sense of urgency was needed. Again, this is not a negative considering the fact the film is based through the middle/second half of the book.

Overall, brilliant film, didn't lose its way.... Slower in some scenes, but not necessary a bad aspect!

9/10.
analogkid280Dec 15, 2013
This is like playing Skyrim but you are watching a movie. Mostly setup for the 3rd installment but has many clever twists and special effects. It reminded me of the newer Star Wars movies in a way. It was a very entertaining I have to admit.This is like playing Skyrim but you are watching a movie. Mostly setup for the 3rd installment but has many clever twists and special effects. It reminded me of the newer Star Wars movies in a way. It was a very entertaining I have to admit. That is rather surprising since I did not like the first Hobbit movie at all. This one brought me back and I will certainly be catching the last movie in the series. Expand
caldepenDec 16, 2013
Much better than the first and I didn't mind the first. I saw it in high-speed and 3d. Super well done but 2 things, the glasses are smaller than they used to be so you can see the rims which is distracting (but the crowd seems way coolerMuch better than the first and I didn't mind the first. I saw it in high-speed and 3d. Super well done but 2 things, the glasses are smaller than they used to be so you can see the rims which is distracting (but the crowd seems way cooler when the lights come up) and secondly the high-speed makes the production seem amateurish during the expositive scenes for some reason. So at the bar when they are talking it reminds me of a 80's British soap opera or a Canadian video production like Littlest Hobo. I think it exposes bad acting more. So a raised eyebrow by Gandalf looks kind of silly and deliberate or when Thorin notices bad guys it is super obvious like you can almost hear the director saying "look that way, then that way...". For the most part the action scenes are pretty spectacular, although at times somewhat video-gamey. Expand
crawlerDec 16, 2013
I think its a good movie, different than the lord of the ring but as good if you like middle-earth and a story that dont rush at all for action. I really like the action more than the first especially smaug and the barrel-ride. Legolas andI think its a good movie, different than the lord of the ring but as good if you like middle-earth and a story that dont rush at all for action. I really like the action more than the first especially smaug and the barrel-ride. Legolas and Tauriel are nice add-on from book in my opinion. Not perfect but definitively a good movie
Cant wait to see it again and again....the third movie cant come soon enough. 9/10
moviemitch96Dec 15, 2013
I'd say that this was equally as good as part 1 and that it definitely managed to keep me entertained. I really liked the cast and their performances. Martin Freeman once again fulfilled his role as Bilbo rather nicely. Ian Mckellen isI'd say that this was equally as good as part 1 and that it definitely managed to keep me entertained. I really liked the cast and their performances. Martin Freeman once again fulfilled his role as Bilbo rather nicely. Ian Mckellen is getting old, but he still makes a great Gandalf. Orlando Bloom returns as Legolas and he's fun to watch. Needless to say, the best part is when Smaug finally arrives. Benedict Cumberbatch sounds better than ever as the voice behind Smaug. The action was also great and will likely please adults and children alike. Despite the film's lengthy run time and a cliffhanger ending that left me wanting more, it still delivers and not only met my expectations overall, but got me even more excited for part 3 next year! Expand
CosmonaustaDec 16, 2013
Although it does bother me how much they strayed from the source material (especially in regards to Legolas), I thoroughly enjoyed The Desolation of Smaug as a movie-going experience. As a film, it's action-packed, funny at times, andAlthough it does bother me how much they strayed from the source material (especially in regards to Legolas), I thoroughly enjoyed The Desolation of Smaug as a movie-going experience. As a film, it's action-packed, funny at times, and visually stunning.
The fight scenes were nothing short of incredible. Jackson was finally able to portray Legolas' agility in its full glory.
All around a very fun and gripping film.
ScepticMay 1, 2014
Except for the following;Bilbo,Gandalf,Beorn,Dwarf-names,Spiders,Elf-King,Barrels,Laketown,Bard,Master,Key,Smaug,Arkenstone and a few other words,this disgrace has little to do with the great mans work.For the only time in my entire life,asExcept for the following;Bilbo,Gandalf,Beorn,Dwarf-names,Spiders,Elf-King,Barrels,Laketown,Bard,Master,Key,Smaug,Arkenstone and a few other words,this disgrace has little to do with the great mans work.For the only time in my entire life,as well as millions of others,I'm glad he is dead.This would have surely killed him to see.Pray Hollywood don't get their filthy hands on the Silmarillion... Expand
ConorHatDec 23, 2013
There's so many things wrong with this movie. It's incredibly bad. I hated the first movie. I hate this one more. Thankfully, I didn't spend a penny to see this garbage.
lukechristianscMar 5, 2014
the hobbit is a cliff hanger i hate these kinds of movies to be continued . it takes forever also dont buy it on dvd . so i hope no this is the last one
kingabbenApr 21, 2014
First off, as a movie relating to the books, it's terrible; beyond awful. I mean seriously, Legolas and Tauriel (who should not even be there) literally stole the spotlight from Bilbo (keep in mind that the movie is called the HOBBIT), andFirst off, as a movie relating to the books, it's terrible; beyond awful. I mean seriously, Legolas and Tauriel (who should not even be there) literally stole the spotlight from Bilbo (keep in mind that the movie is called the HOBBIT), and further pushed a ultra-cheesy love story with Killi? I mean seriously?!

Second, as a movie itself, it is also awful. The pacing is off once more, and the special effects just make the movie look fake.

Congratulations Peter Jakcosn, aka the new George Lucas, for screwing up the prequels after making a brilliant LOTR Trilogy.
SkulbDec 16, 2013
For anybody who likes Tolkien`s books it is hard to imagine a more successful adaptation to the movies than Desolation of Smaug. Unlike with the LotR, where major character changes were made and major plot elements were twisted, almostFor anybody who likes Tolkien`s books it is hard to imagine a more successful adaptation to the movies than Desolation of Smaug. Unlike with the LotR, where major character changes were made and major plot elements were twisted, almost everything is spot on in the Hobbit movies. For this reason they are far better than the LotR movies, and the second one better than the first.
It is full of action, great characters, tremendous effects, sound and design, with crisp dialogue, most of which is directly from the book.. Smaug himself is a particular highlight, with perfect voice acting.
If there are any flaws they all stem from Franny Walsch`s peculiar obsession with inserting female characters into the story where none exist. The attempted love story between the entirely made up female elf and one of the dwarves was cringe-worthy and easily the low point of the movie.
I would ignore reviewers on this, as I would with all of Peter Jackson`s movies. From the first release of Bad Taste they have either failed to get his sense of humor, or failed to understand which story it is he is telling in his Middle Earth movies. It has never been just The Hobbit, since this would be an under narrated, simplistic children`s book with loads of silly songs and which would tell none of the story of what is going on in the background, which is all available in notes, appendixes and in Silmarillion.
Even Tolkien regarded the story of the rise of Sauron as the real story, and he tried to rewrite The Hobbit to include this but gave it up. Still "reviewers" to a man whine over the scenes where Gandalf uncovers this as "distracting" and "unnecessary" and even that they have been included "only to stretch the movies into three parts".
I can`t imagine being so ignorant. Go watch the movie and ignore the ignoramuses. You will not regret it.
hypersonic354Dec 18, 2013
i loved this movie in many ways 1 the design of smaug 2 in the theaters the fire looked really cool. its much better then the first one. smaug is a big heat for the Movie
MichaelBreaDec 16, 2013
This movie are so amazing. I think Peter Jackson do a very good job. Everything in this movie are great. I recommand this movie for every one I am not goin to tell you something of this movie. I just want to everybody watch this movie.
steve0393k3kdijDec 19, 2013
1) There is NO WAY (in other words, utterly and completely impossible) that there is going to be ANYTHING even remotely resembling "romance" between and Elf-Maid and a Dwarf. Whoever wrote this Turiel and Kili stuff is an absolute IDIOT.1) There is NO WAY (in other words, utterly and completely impossible) that there is going to be ANYTHING even remotely resembling "romance" between and Elf-Maid and a Dwarf. Whoever wrote this Turiel and Kili stuff is an absolute IDIOT.

2) We already have one Orc general baddie. We don't need to invent another one.

3) Turiel. Totally uneccessary distraction. Inventing superflous characters to give little girls something to identify with is bad film making.

4) The entire battle scene under the mountain between Smaug and the Dwarves was completely ridiculous and literally unbelievable. Nothing even remotely similar happened in the book. But if you MUST invent an entirely unneccesary scene then at least make it believable. Yeah right they on the spot figured out a way to trick Smaug into smelting gold for them, and channeled it into a mold and put him in position to get covered in the melted gold when the mold bursts. Just plain stupid.

5) WE DON'T NEED EXTRA LONG MOVIES PADDED WITH EXTRANEOUS NONSENSE. OK, fine, make 3 movies out of it since you want to milk the property for everyting you can. 90 minutes each is long enough. Sitting through endless poorly conceived subplots does not make the movies better. Just longer.

Unbelievable.
eagleeyevikingDec 13, 2013
Desolation of Smaug delivers on everything the first movie lacks with great special effects, swift pacing and much more character development even if a few of them are sidelined.
kingglucoseDec 14, 2013
I was really excited to see this movie as I loved the Lord of the Rings trilogy and I enjoyed an Unexpected journey. This movie was definitely a step down from every other movie in middle earth so far. The cinematography was gorgeous andI was really excited to see this movie as I loved the Lord of the Rings trilogy and I enjoyed an Unexpected journey. This movie was definitely a step down from every other movie in middle earth so far. The cinematography was gorgeous and there were a lot of really great shots. However the movie really falters in the way that it was adapted. If you liked the book for it's humor, lovable characters and charm you will e sorely disappointed. The lighthearted essence of a childrens book is gone in order to make it much darker. Also there is an incredible amount of filler, and to make time for the filler they cut or dramatically altered the actual content from the book. My last complaint is about legolas, why was he in the movie at all? It ruins any tension involved in those scenes because you know hes going to make it, before seeing the movie i thought his involvement would be a short cameo at most, maybe something to do with Gollum. No instead he is one of the central characters in the film. Overall i would say that this movie was disapointing as a LotR fan but a well shot movie with some good cgi and action sequences. Expand
Khunter4382Dec 16, 2013
The stretching of the story is a bit more evident in this film as compared to the first, but it really isn't detrimental to the overall success of the film. This is pure cinema greatness.....engaging and beautifully filmed. Performances areThe stretching of the story is a bit more evident in this film as compared to the first, but it really isn't detrimental to the overall success of the film. This is pure cinema greatness.....engaging and beautifully filmed. Performances are all top-notch. I don't feel that the addition of Tauriel (the new elf) was necessary, but it worked. And yes, Smaug is easily the best looking (and sounding) dragon you'll ever see! Expand
Bruce722Dec 15, 2013
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug was a really good movie with great visuals and it continued telling an amazing story. The increased action of this film over the previous one will surely get most people's attention and will probably makeThe Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug was a really good movie with great visuals and it continued telling an amazing story. The increased action of this film over the previous one will surely get most people's attention and will probably make most younger people actually like it more. The special effects were also a bit better, in my opinion, and the dragon sequence at the end was just amazing. My only real probably with the film is the ending. That just isn't a good place to leave the film hanging. Obviously you should look at all of these films as one large movie broken up into three parts but the reality is that the third part won't be available to see until next year which makes this movie stand alone, in a sense. When considering that the entire movie seemed to be building to a climax that never occurs, it feels a little anticlimactic. Expand
normypDec 16, 2013
This was a lot better than the first part of the Hobbit trilogy, mainly because we had a bit of romance, a bit of live action for once and some scenes which weren't constantly CGI which was a relief. The best scenes in my opinion were nearThis was a lot better than the first part of the Hobbit trilogy, mainly because we had a bit of romance, a bit of live action for once and some scenes which weren't constantly CGI which was a relief. The best scenes in my opinion were near the end and the scenes between Killi and the She-Elf. In my opinion, there was a bit too much CGI, I much prefer real sets but for the Orcs the CGI was perfect because it felt like they were actually fighting monsters not just men dressed up as monsters. The Orcs were perfect in my opinion, just a shame they have too much elven language, I much prefer the Orcs to act stupid and speak english than speak in this poetic manner, okay it's fine for the white orc because he's badass but his little grunts should speak english. The CGI, although a lot of it, was probably the best I've seen in a film, it really allowed the filmmakers to create more of a fantasy world instead of just showing us New Zealand, which isn't bad by the way. I found it thoroughly entertaining but The Hobbit works and flows best when it's just trying to be its own film. When you clearly hear lines and jokes copied from LOTR it's kind of cringey, they don't need to please LOTR fans they need to just clear their heads and focus on the story at hand. Either way, great film just hopefully for the next film we'll see more real sets and action sequences in places like Helm's Deep, like an out door set, they're so cool. Expand
sillyputtyDec 15, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You can't compare the movie to the book at all, since half of the movie never happened in the book, but there are some scenes that you just can't describe with words!!! The movie in and of itself was awesome except for the cliffhanger ending. If you have no patience wait till next year to buy the 2nd hobbit and watch the third right after. But i still cant wait till next year to see where they're going to go with this different storyline. I wasnt too excited to see a love story mixed in though, but that's just me. Expand
LansdenrsDec 16, 2013
The visuals were stunning! The plot was better than the first. The directing and acting was very good! I think this one was better than the first. A lot of action and intensity
LensesDec 16, 2013
Take my advice and don't bother seeing The Hobbit until this time next year on DVD. You will thank me later.

The movie is fine, but the ending is so abrupt that the entire theater sighed and laughed when it ended in the middle of the climax. I guess they need to drag it out into another movie. So. Do youself a favor and just wait. Or prepare to be dissappointed in the ending.
PetroleumDec 15, 2013
Enjoyed the movie for it's darker and more Middle Earth feeling. The visual part of the movie was spectacular and eye-popping, with fantastic performances from Martin Freeman, Ian Mckellan and Benedict Cumberbatch, who's role as Smaug wasEnjoyed the movie for it's darker and more Middle Earth feeling. The visual part of the movie was spectacular and eye-popping, with fantastic performances from Martin Freeman, Ian Mckellan and Benedict Cumberbatch, who's role as Smaug was absolutely fantastic. The other thing that made the movie a lot more enjoyable was the break time it had, not trying to have too many things happening at once all the time, unlike the first of the trilogy. Expand
Zardoz_TXDec 20, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This may contain Spoilers if you have read the book!

May not be the worst film ever but comes close. The only thing that matches the book is the names of the characters and places. The rest is total crap. Elf and Dwarf love story if I were the Dwarf that would be great but not in the book. The Orcs chasing down the river in the Lord of the Rings yes but not the Hobbit. The list of Major differences would take hours to write down. If I had never read the book I might have a different review.

The 3D was excellent but that is all positive that I can say about the movie!
iffyguyDec 17, 2013
Peter Jackson did it again. Effortlessly blending action, drama, comedy, and nerd references, we are plunged into Middle-Earth yet again. With great CGI, memorable characters, and fun storytelling, he creates another surefire hit. He nailedPeter Jackson did it again. Effortlessly blending action, drama, comedy, and nerd references, we are plunged into Middle-Earth yet again. With great CGI, memorable characters, and fun storytelling, he creates another surefire hit. He nailed what the book did, which is makes you forget that there's a FREAKING DRAGON at the end, and instead focus on the danger at hand, whether it be spiders or orcs. Then, digging into the several hundred pages of appendices at the end of LOTR, he expands on the Necromancer, who is revealed to be Sauron. All in all, a great setup for the sure-to-please finale of the trilogy. And that cliffhanger!

P.S. Peter Jackson's cameo is hilarious.
CaptainMoraviaDec 13, 2013
Seriously if you have seen all trailers of hobbit, you saw all the best of the film. I saw movie in midnight premiere yesterday and according to book it suppose to be a best part of trilogy, but I was so disappointed and bored. AlmostSeriously if you have seen all trailers of hobbit, you saw all the best of the film. I saw movie in midnight premiere yesterday and according to book it suppose to be a best part of trilogy, but I was so disappointed and bored. Almost everything is wrong with that film... Every sequence which was so awesome in the book, is in the movie cutted to few minutes or skipped.... After the first great Unexpected journey movie I expect something better than this sequel. If you have read the book, you will dislike or like me hate this sequel, if you haven't read any of Tolkien's books, you may find this movie entertaining.. Expand
nikhil714Dec 13, 2013
Desolation of smaug proves to be majestic in its narrative and it is an improvement over the unexpected journey, it offers powerful action with crispy visuals and never feels bored, aslo leaving the audience very much excited for the nextDesolation of smaug proves to be majestic in its narrative and it is an improvement over the unexpected journey, it offers powerful action with crispy visuals and never feels bored, aslo leaving the audience very much excited for the next installment Expand
IsotopesamDec 14, 2013
That was exactly what I wanted to see in a Peter Jackson rendition of the Hobbit. Loved it from start to end. The action was intense and absolutely fun. Smaug was badass! Loved seeing the dwarves fighting to take back Erebor from the dragon.That was exactly what I wanted to see in a Peter Jackson rendition of the Hobbit. Loved it from start to end. The action was intense and absolutely fun. Smaug was badass! Loved seeing the dwarves fighting to take back Erebor from the dragon. The ring's slow effect on Bilbo and Gandalf'a quest made it all tie in to the LOTR movies. I can't wait for the extended edition. Expand
Velvet_BruschDec 13, 2013
My expectations were met! Peter Jackson has done an amazing job again though the first one was a little bit sluggish this chapter will hook you up, The HFR 3d is the future.
AnttirokkrDec 13, 2013
Boring movie, I was never a fan of the first hobbit, I just feel wrong that a children's book was adapted into a 9 hour movie like the original trilogy. None of the characters has charisma (except Gandalf), you just don't care for what theyBoring movie, I was never a fan of the first hobbit, I just feel wrong that a children's book was adapted into a 9 hour movie like the original trilogy. None of the characters has charisma (except Gandalf), you just don't care for what they do. Peter Jackson is losing his touch, and we should just give up and keep watching the original ones. Expand
IanArmerDec 17, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG is a monumental failure on just about every level; storytelling, character development, SFX and even acting. It wheezes, aimlessly, through a CGI heavy landscape via pointless camera moves, pointless situations, pointless characters and some of the worst sets/make-up I've seen in a modern Hollywood picture. The sets look fake, one shot leaves you gawking at the heavily applied foundation on Bilbo's face, the weave of wigs and stick-on facial hair, all distracting from the already distracting and shambolic plot falling apart before your eyes over the three hour running time.

Jackson has discovered a new love of violence in TDOS here, violence is cool and sexy. It all plays out like a computer game revenge fantasy of some lonely Tolkien freak. Heads are lopped off, Elves kill like superhero's in a perverse ballet of sadistic machismo and Orcs look like fetish pain-freaks (a bizarre mash up of flesh and metal). And the gratuitous pornography of violence builds and builds throughout the picture, as if Jackson can't get enough of killing. And killing everything in the sexiest, coolest, physically amazing way imaginable.

Let's not dwell on that, however. Most things can be forgiven if one is hooked into an involving, emotive story of which TDOS has not. Bilbo our eyes and way into Middle Earth takes back seat as a ludicrous love triangle plays out with a porky looking Legolas, a dwarf I can't even remember from the first part and another female Elf called Tauriel. If only the love triangle was between the dwarf and Legolas with Tauriel side-lined it might have worked!

The plot for TDOS is atrocious. That it is the 2nd part of an unnecessary trilogy is no excuse (The Two Towers is magnificent). Events just happen for no real reason. Characters are introduced and their back story crammed into a few moments and we are expected to care for their plight. The careful time and effort put into Part 1 of The Hobbit (yes, I liked it) is thrown out of the window for one meaningless set-piece after another. Eventually, we get to the mountain and Bilbo finally has something to do, other than kill things, cut ropes, slip on the Ring and vanish now and again. He solves an important puzzle, he slips into the lair of Smaug and, briefly, the film comes alive.

The conversation between Bilbo and Smaug works brilliantly. The CGI has obviously gone into this behemoth and the lack of music and overkill ramps up the tension a mere two hours into the movie. And then, it is gone. Smaug becomes a dunce, unable to kill anything within six foot of his snout. There is also a ridiculous 'plan' set in motion by the dwarves, involving hot gold and furnaces and, blah, blah, blah... They leap around like acrobats (everybody does in this film) and concoct the most inept counter attack on a dragon ever staged. So ridiculously complex it would make Dr Evil blush. So easily brushed aside, it makes the preceding 20 minutes of acrobatics pointless. And that sums up everything about this movie. It is pointless trash. All padding with no serious regard for story telling or character development. It just wants 'moments' of cool killing and violence. The entire film is a miserable, boring, tedious, violent, unlikable and cynical exercise in making money. It's the very worst Middle Earth film. It's quite possibly one of the worst films ever made, full stop.
ForeverFallingDec 18, 2013
What a fantastic film. An Unexpected Journey was brilliant but this one just takes it to new heights, with a lot more action to boot. Thrilling and fun action scenes, great acting, beautiful scenery. The film is just shot so wonderfully too.What a fantastic film. An Unexpected Journey was brilliant but this one just takes it to new heights, with a lot more action to boot. Thrilling and fun action scenes, great acting, beautiful scenery. The film is just shot so wonderfully too. Yes, it does change certain things from the book, but that isn't a negative and shouldn't hold the film back. Some of these additions and changes make for a very entertaining movie. The only negative for me was the Kili and Tauriel romance side plot. I just thought it was a bit cheesy at times and felt like it was thrown in there just for the sake of having a bit of romance. A minor niggle though. These user's that are bashing on this film and/or giving it a ridiculously low score, simply don't understand movies. The film may not be to certain peoples tastes or you may not think it is fantastic, but it is in no way, a "bad film". Isn't it funny that there are people out there giving this film a 0 simply because it isn't identical to the book? This is a marvellous piece of fantasy Peter Jackson has delivered us, yet again. Oh, and that Dragon! Smaug is awesome in this film. He looks amazing and the voice is perfect. Expand
Luan143Dec 13, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. O filme maravilhoso, o mestre Peter Jackson nunca mais repetirá os erros técnicos que ele tanto cometeu em Um Olhar do Paraíso. Como diretor ele conseguiu renovar seus tempos de glória que duraram dos filmes trash até King Kong. O filme foi repleto de truques de fotografia sensitiva (como naquelas cenas do diálogo ente Bilbo e Smaug onde ele simula a visão do espectador como se ele estivesse dentro do salão em Erebor) combinados com o 3d magnífico só visto em Avatar e efeitos visuais tão realistas e inéditos totalmente o oposto de Uma Jornada Inesperada. Houveram alguns erros de fotografia que me fizeram pensar que Jackson estava menos inspirado ao dirigir (um deles foi numa cena da invasão dos orcs em Esgaroth em que o Legolas mata um orc e na hora da facada ele simplesmente foi empurrado para fora da tela), mas esses aconteceram em um período tão curto de tempo que nem mesmo eu sei como reparei. O roteiro foi maravilhoso, aquela discussão do Bilbo e do Smaug foi uma obra prima do Peter Jackson, assim como vários diálogos vistos em As Duas Torres e o episódio Adivinhas no Escuro.
No aspecto técnico o filme sai quase perfeito (não quero deixar muitos spoilers sobre a emboscada armada pelos anões nas minas da montanha, mas aquelas partículas líquidas de ouro e água foram um avanço enorme para efeitos especiais), mas para um fã de Tolkien as muitas alterações foram o bastante pra te deixar cheio de pensamentos mistos sobre o filme.
Eu achei a ideia de cobrir as missões do Gandalf maravilhosa! Uma alteração que não feriu a história, pois seria muito importante anos após o arco que cobre o romance e ao mesmo tempo era algo que todos os fãs desejavam ver como aconteceu. SPOILER: Ver o Sauron dialogando chegou a ser assustador, na história do Anel ele não teve muita participação em primeiro plano, como eu digo: "ele estava lá, não aqui, mas ao mesmo tempo estava aqui e lá". Vamos ver que rumo essa "adição" terá ano que vem.
Sobre a inclusão da Tauriel, não fui um daqueles que ficaram de birra com a adição dela na história, mas o papel que ela teve foi o que marcou o filme todo, PJ infelizmente quis colocar uma pitada de romance adolescente e enfiou isso guela abaixo no plot, isso foi uma blasfêmia obra de Tolkien, que desejava sempre que a história fosse mais racional possível. O filme atingia um certo clímax e ele era cortado pra cara de sonsa dela (não que a atriz seja ruim, mas o papel)... sério, até as cenas de Dol Goldur e Erebor eram cortadas pra cara dela.
Parece que os episódios da casa de Beorn e da Floresta das Trevas foram cortados pela metade só pra mostrar o romance meia boca "Kiliel" ou "Taurikili" que mais parece uma fanfic de Harry Potter. (My Immortal diz: Oi)
Resolvi ignorar cada cena que aparecia a Tauriel pra pensar na forma de como ela morreria no próximo filme, o que óbvio ELA TEM QUE MORRER PRA DEIXAR UM AR DE DRAMA ADOLESCENTE.
Me senti neutro quanto a inclusão dos Orcs antes da batalha, pra mim Azog já estava morto há anos, mas rendeu muitos risos com as cenas do Bombur esmagando eles.
Para a maioria dos fãs a adição de personalidade aos anões só serviu para um complemento, a obra infantil como qualquer outra, em todas os personagens são meio unidimensionais pra não confundir a cabeça das crianças e isso num filme foi de grande ajuda.
Se eu pudesse me aprofundar numa crítica seria mais completo, mas isso aqui só um comentário extenso e amador sobre o que eu vi hoje.
O filme estava bom, nada mais. Poderia ser perfeito, mas PJ cometeu muitos erros com a história que eu não espero ver ano que vem.
KalarienDec 14, 2013
Perfect
I love all the trilogy, the movie include some extend actions cenes who i like to much! Legolas in clearly the best! Grats Peter Jackson, u made a wonderfull movie again
WhiteTalpaDec 15, 2013
Great film once again most of the critics imo have got it wrong and the users have again got it right, totally worth watching... ummm random words to hit word count FTW.
martyisrulingDec 14, 2013
It starts off a little weak, but gets really good. The story elements aren't great, but the movie suits it's purpose. It's a fun adventure. The effects are great, with the exception of a few isolated parts on a river scene and some bad horse CGI.
Praetorian75Dec 15, 2013
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is the very enjoyable 2nd part of a fantasy movie trilogy. If you can look past the fact that its not an "entirely" faithful film adaptation of the book you will most likely enjoy it for what it is a bigThe Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is the very enjoyable 2nd part of a fantasy movie trilogy. If you can look past the fact that its not an "entirely" faithful film adaptation of the book you will most likely enjoy it for what it is a big budget fantasy movie trilogy.

I went to the Cinema (HFR 3D version) to Watch this with my son. Unlike "An Unexpected Journey" my son wasnt complaining about it being long and drawn out which is also how i feel about it. Thankfully there were no singing dwarves! The visuals were quite good with the HFR 3D just as you would be expecting. I wont mention anything of the plot as it deserves to be experienced.

I would definatly recommend seeing this in the Cinema. Rating: 8/10
waynDec 15, 2013
The hobbit desolation of smaug comes a huge step closer to make peter Jackson king of fantasy director. It is very much better than the first part the hobb8t trilogy does not even comes close to the Lord of the rings trilogy
felipeguaranaDec 16, 2013
Everything about The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug represents an improvement over the first installment of Peter Jackson's The Hobbit. Just remember, it's not a book! It's a movie and a great adaptation from the book, don't go watch if youEverything about The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug represents an improvement over the first installment of Peter Jackson's The Hobbit. Just remember, it's not a book! It's a movie and a great adaptation from the book, don't go watch if you have in mind that is 100% equal to the book. Honestly, you're a idiot if you do this. Expand
jeremypJan 11, 2014
The dwarf quest for their home went stale one hour into episode 1. Now it' s become torture. Good actors gone to waste, an endless conversation with a too loquacious Dragon, and too little of the gorgeous elf elf lady who kicks butt.
David_HDec 27, 2013
After doing such a nice job with LOTR, its such a sad situation and such a blatant money grab and complete disregard for J.R.R. Tolkien's original prose. The Hobbit was about 1/6th the length of Lord of The Rings, yet the producers chose aAfter doing such a nice job with LOTR, its such a sad situation and such a blatant money grab and complete disregard for J.R.R. Tolkien's original prose. The Hobbit was about 1/6th the length of Lord of The Rings, yet the producers chose a worthless and mind-numbing extension of Hobbit into two ridiculously long movies. The graphics and effects and story was so expansive in LOTR we were willing to allow the division into three films, but for the Hobbit there is absolutely no reason to split it up other than to suck more money out of our wallets. Expand
evanrmJan 6, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Another year, another average, empty, shallow and lite Hobbit film. The real problem is that the story of The Hobbit is simply too little to pad out into three 2 hour plus films. With the Lord of the Rings, there was too much story, and much of it had to be slimmed down (which wasn't necessarily a bad thing) for the three films. With The Hobbit, there simply isn't enough story. The Desolation of Smaug is somewhat better than the first film, but only because this one appears to have a point to it. I really wish that del Toro had directed these ones, as I think he would have done it much better than Jackson is capable of. Expand
foxgroveJan 17, 2014
Peter Jackson seems to have sparked into life with this second installment of The Hobbit series as this is a vast improvement on the first film. Gone are the laboured, talky scenes of Hobbit domesticity and much of the lame humour has alsoPeter Jackson seems to have sparked into life with this second installment of The Hobbit series as this is a vast improvement on the first film. Gone are the laboured, talky scenes of Hobbit domesticity and much of the lame humour has also been excised. We now have a movie with plenty of action and adventure and one that stands tall and bears comparison to 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy. All the series' constants are present including impressive make-up and special visual effects, as well as beautiful Art-Direction and great sound. The film sports boundless energy and some amazing set pieces involving spiders, dragons and Hobbits in barrels. Editing is also much sharper this time out and the wonderful swooping camera shots are very much part of the film's overall style. Aside from an awful supporting performance from Stephen Fry as 'The Master of Lake Town', 'The Desolation of Smaug' really does deliver. The cliff hanger ending sets up the third picture nicely, although I would Quite happily have continued watching this one for another couple of hours, that's how good it is! Expand
ViolettJan 8, 2014
So many differences from original book. I'm big Tolkien fan and if I would was younger (pardon my English) I would definitely was pissed off. But the movie itself is very well filmed, bright and colorful.
braedenDec 19, 2013
Comparing to disappointing first part, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is much better movie. It has better pacing, more meaningful action scenes, more character development and it was entertaining from start to finish. Only time I wasComparing to disappointing first part, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is much better movie. It has better pacing, more meaningful action scenes, more character development and it was entertaining from start to finish. Only time I was starting to feel bored was the final action scene which is a bit over the top. The extra elements (compared to book) didn't really bother me, since getting three 3 hour movies using only 300 page children's book is impossible to start with. Expand
TiTaToverteefJan 5, 2014
The most dissapointing film of 2013. Jackson has completely mangled the books. The original core (a children's book about Bilbo finding his inner Took) has been dumbed down to an action film. Don't get me wrong, the film is extremely wellThe most dissapointing film of 2013. Jackson has completely mangled the books. The original core (a children's book about Bilbo finding his inner Took) has been dumbed down to an action film. Don't get me wrong, the film is extremely well filmed and it's Middle Earth in all its glory, but it's not 'The Hobbit'. Where Jackson would leave out or alter minor details in the original Lord of the Rings trilogy, he's added extra, unnecessary details. Legolas wasn't in the book and neither was Tauriel, not to mention Azog. He has even added material from the Appendix of the Return of the King! The film should have been ONE film without any added details rather than 3 films that are way too full of unnecessary details. The film could be a lot of fun for people that have no idea what the original book is about, but for people that read the book it's a huge dissapointment. I don't think I'll go to the third film, as I can't bear to see what Jackson will turn the Battle of the Five Armies to. Sorry Jackson, but you messed up big time with The Hobbit pt2. If you enjoy an action film that has the likes of Middle Earth, this is for you. If you like the lore and any backstory whatsoever, stay away from this abomination. Expand
somerset72Jan 6, 2014
Some of the spectacle and action sequences are amongst the best that I've seen, with the barrel sequence being my own particular favorite

The introduction of Tauriel was good (I didn't know she wasn't in the book until an outraged fan told me..), although the love interest felt a bit forced and Orlando Bloom appeared to be trying to act the part only using his eyebrows and an offended expression

The narrative feels clunky and stretched to the point of breaking with some scenes feeling really baggy
Mole2807Dec 17, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A positive response to harsh criticism.
This film in all its glory does feel like a middle chapter of a trilogy. Though Jackson opens the movie, reappearing as his carrot-eating-cameo that bags a few laughs from LOTR movie fans in the theaters; its opening is weak. The movies ending is frustrating for anyone in the audience, but that's just because the films content is so good! The film fails to sustain any real structure so to any viewers who haven't seen the first installment or the LOTR movies, will struggle to follow the plot.
Although this film has its weak points it is a vast improvement on the first, firstly; there is tons more action, gore and evil. Then there's the CGI (best seen in the 3D format) which in this movie has some of the best achievements; Smaug is a masterpiece and is definitely worth the wait, and the orcs are truly brought to life when seen in 3D. Though there are some parts of the movie that have clearly been weakly written, this fresh take on evil and hatred festering in MiddleEarth outweighs these few flaws and gives Tolkien fans and Christmas cinema-goers what they need to restore their love for MiddleEarth on the big screen.
Look out for the spider scene in Mirkwood; for anyone who has read the book, they will realize how hard it must have been to write that scene with the spiders talking. For people who hadn't read the book this scene could have turned out to appear a little cheesy but Jackson and his team have succeeded and made the scene work better than any other in the movie!
Stronger writing and this movie could have been up there with 11 Academy Award winning, Return of the King...the film is satisfying; full of action, plenty of fantastic CGI eye-candy and a good performance from the entire cast.
8 out of 10, now wait for There and Back Again.
MattG_123Jan 2, 2014
It mostly has the same problems as the first, such as repetitive action, goofy acting sequences, etc. But the 2nd Hobbit is still a better experience than the first.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug gets a 7.3/10
bobalaskaJan 4, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the most painfully boring movies I've seen in quite a while. So unlike the Lord of the Rings trilogy, which I enjoyed.

And the kicker was the ending with the most blatant hint of a sequel. If it hadn't been "at the movies." I would have thought it was a commercial break.
mvoelckerJan 27, 2014
Like the first movie, the desolation of smaug still suffers the consequence of making 3 movies for a 300 pages book. The result is almost nothing really important to the story happening throughout the entire movie
Deadpoolfan117Jan 29, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Major praise to the performances of the cast, especially scenes involving Martin Freeman and/or Benedict Cumberbatch, the CGI, and the overall improvement from the previous film. However, the love triangle between Evangeline Lilly's character, one of the dwarfs, and Legolas, and the films use of previous locations and characters from the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy does decrease its likability. Expand
manuelvela-vfxFeb 12, 2014
"The desolation of smaug" is blockbuster action movie with superbe and stunning quality images, much better than an unexpected journey. but I seemed a long boring movie.
familyguyMar 6, 2014
I say it once and i say it a gain device hobbit in 3 part is the stupid thing peter Jackson ever did.The movie have a lot of unnecessary scenes just to took movie as long as the request . The CGI is only thing good but he use a lot of CGII say it once and i say it a gain device hobbit in 3 part is the stupid thing peter Jackson ever did.The movie have a lot of unnecessary scenes just to took movie as long as the request . The CGI is only thing good but he use a lot of CGI for background instead go out side and use real scene. The camera is another disappointed it give me the headache rather than good view Expand
uvazquezDec 13, 2013
Bifur was right, it was the chiefest and greatest calamity of our age. Nope, not talking about the dragon. I mean the movie.

Book differences aside (I didn't go to the theater with expectations of watching a remake of the book's second third chapters), the plot was terrible. And I mean, TERRIBLE with a capital T and the rest of the word capitalized as well.

For starters, there was a time gap between where we left in the first movie and where the second started. Sure, I'm used to it and it can be good for the movie. But it doesn't explain how the orcs have caught up with them. Secondly, there was almost no Beorn. He doesn't even have many lines. What's the point of adding him into the movie if he's not gonna do anything? Thirdly, adding Legolas would have made sense just to connect with The Lord of the Rings, like Jackson wants, but adding another elf, Tauriel, and making them be the entire piece of action in the film was really lousy. There was almost no plot because of the large bits of action from Legolas and Tauriel. If I wanted to watch an action movie I would have bought tickets for another movie.

Also, the movie relies heavily in 3D. It's like Jackson forgot about the plot, just to make it coincide with awesome 3D effects (which I can't watch because I'm from the unlucky group of people who can't watch 3D movies because of sight conditions). 3D should be just an additive to the movie, not the whole point of it.

Adding Dol Guldur and the return of Sauron was a nice touch though, and the Bard the Bowman portrayal was awesome. That adds a few points to the score. However, Evangeline Lilly can't act, which substracts points. And making the action parts so long I almost fell asleep. They should be brief and scattered across the film. Not concentrated during an hour and a half and then abandoned and changed for pure dialogue.

All in all, this makes this movie the worst Jackson Middle Earth movie yet, and it was the one I had most hopes about. I liked the first one more than this and it's really slow.

I was about to give this a 5, like acceptable, but then I got to the cliffhanger. Really, Jackson? Why didn't you give closure to the arc? You have a war brewing, you don't need to keep Smaug alive. Let Bard gun him down already and get this over with. You could have ended the movie with the party at Esgaroth, and then changing to a scene showing the army marching. You have A LOT of stuff to put in the next film without leaving Smaug's closure to be exploited.

All in all, this was the worst of the three. I really do believe the worst is behind us. Come on, Jackson. Give it a worthy ending.
LivEricsenDec 13, 2013
Posh film, strong, fast, isn't typical, is the fashion and stereotypes of contemporary big movie .On a lot better than the first one, entertaining and impressive, I go again when it comes, and in our country. The only thing I'm afraid thatPosh film, strong, fast, isn't typical, is the fashion and stereotypes of contemporary big movie .On a lot better than the first one, entertaining and impressive, I go again when it comes, and in our country. The only thing I'm afraid that dubbing will not allow again so wholly enjoy the film, as a voice Smaug gorgeous and generally better original actor can't be anything? The special effects are amazing, I am sure that the hobbit and gravity will be the main rivals in the fight for Oscar in this category. Howard Shore is good as always, but the bar LOTR apparently he does not repeat the already never found. Actors matched perfectly, Peter Jackson always had a flair, Martin Freeman perfect Bilbo, but it would at most of the So impressed with Lee Pace in the image of Thranduil very good. Go, and don't you doubt one of the best films of the year Expand
ReubenIsAGodDec 13, 2013
Better then the first film, yes the series is not as good as the original films, but really what made u think that this film would be as good as the amazingly spectacular film trilogy that is Load Of The Rings, also the films based on a bookBetter then the first film, yes the series is not as good as the original films, but really what made u think that this film would be as good as the amazingly spectacular film trilogy that is Load Of The Rings, also the films based on a book that's only about 200 pages, Peter Jacksons done an amazing job directing the films and i for one really enjoyed the film, although the one real big disappointment for me in this trilogy is probably the CGI, orcs where better when they weren't CGI, overall The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug is a great film that is very entertaining and engaging two watch that is bigger and better then the original Hobbit film and i for one cant wait too see the final in the series

-9/10, gave it a 10 because scores are WAY to low
dangerous1Dec 13, 2013
Really greater than its predecessor, darker and also more fast paced than unexpected journey,the desolation of smaug is entertaining action movie with stunning visuals.
TVJerryDec 17, 2013
Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman) and his dwarf companions travel thru several seemingly insurmountable obstacles to reach the mountain where the dragon sleeps. This continuation of the story is full of action: chases, fights and confrontations.Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman) and his dwarf companions travel thru several seemingly insurmountable obstacles to reach the mountain where the dragon sleeps. This continuation of the story is full of action: chases, fights and confrontations. Some of it's inventive, but much is just noisy and busy. Freeman manages to add some mild comic charm with his character, but otherwise the story is all serious. The visuals and threatening creatures are convincing, but there's little about this installment that's a visual wow. Mostly, it's just solid movement forward. Fans should be thrilled, while regular moviegoers will not be bored. Expand
cephaloDec 14, 2013
This film accomplishes everything it set out to do. I don't understand how any fan of the original trilogy wouldn't love this movie. If dragging this small story into three movies makes it like an 'extended edition' I am eagerly awaiting theThis film accomplishes everything it set out to do. I don't understand how any fan of the original trilogy wouldn't love this movie. If dragging this small story into three movies makes it like an 'extended edition' I am eagerly awaiting the extended-extended edition! I'm giving it a 10 because Smaug is a 20, and more than makes up for any shortcomings I had failed to notice. Expand
raduflorinDec 14, 2013
This is one of those films you definitely have to watch, in cinema or home. It is filled up with a dynamic action pack, remastered CGI and a more captivating story. Even if you read the books, the movie still gives you unexpected scenes, likeThis is one of those films you definitely have to watch, in cinema or home. It is filled up with a dynamic action pack, remastered CGI and a more captivating story. Even if you read the books, the movie still gives you unexpected scenes, like the opening scene in Bree, or the extraordinary fight between Gandalf and Sauron. Benedict Cumberbatch did an absolutely amazing job with Smaug, and the ending cliffhanger will make it very hard for the fans to wait 'till the next year for the final part in the Hobbit series. 10/10 Expand