4.7

1. Apr 21, 2014
    I loved it! I believe this movie was done incredibly well. The film adaption very closely followed the plot and actions of the book written by Stephenie Meyer. I would strongly recommend this movie to anyone.
  2. Jul 15, 2013
    I went into this film with expectations based on the trailers I had seen. Basically, the movie studio apparently was afraid of what they had created, and released promotional material that was so pedantic, so wanton of a touristed veneer, that it completely obscured the artistic and dramatic genius that this film engenders.

I'm a hard-core science fiction fan. I cried when Defying
    Gravity was killed. Sunshine is one of the best SciFi movies ever made... so.

The Host is nothing like the trailers would suggest. It is hardcore Sc-ifi presented in one of the most dramatic and believable scenarios I can think of in recent times. This movie is at least on par, if not more monumental then Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Andrew Niccol has directed his opus. While his work to date has been good, this finally distinguishes him as a great director of film.

Saoirse Ronan once again demonstrates an unbelievable talent for acting. She is able to portray the conflicted alien inhabiting the human body as well as the trapped human soul with amazing skill. The Academy will have no choice but to recognize her acting talent sooner rather then later.

The story is simple but deep. While I might have liked a more empirical explanation of the how and why the aliens conquered us, what is portrayed manages to imply just enough to make the story believable and understandable.

To go into more detail would rob the next curious mind of the wonder of the film. Suffice it to say that this movie is worth watching.
  3. Jul 13, 2013
    I like Sci Fi but I like a great movie with a beautiful story even better. This is both so it is a winner. Very well done and I usually read the book before I watch the movie. I am glad I did not in this case. I had just watched Pacific Rim with my son at the local IMAX 3D and was amazed at the special effects but it was missing something, like a story. The Host filled in the gap and I am very glad I watched it. I guess I am saying it was better than Pacific Rim in my book! Expand
  4. Apr 5, 2013
    This was an excellent movie. I can why people might not like as it is a bit OTT but you can't deny the acting was excellent by all. They should actually turn this into an actuall saga like the Darren Shan.
  5. Apr 1, 2013
    I can't say this is a masterpiece, although it isn't a like Twilight saga. No, The Host is a great movie. If you have read the book, you can notice the movie is on rush but I think this is OK because the original story is really wide. The storyline is great (8/10), the direction is quite good (7/10), the acting is very good (8/10). I really enjoyed The Host because there aren't too much romantic scenes, there are some action and a bit of Sci-Fi, too.

All in all, it's a great movie for those, who neither like absolutely romantic films nor absolutely Sci-Fi. It's a movie for those, who would enjoy a film featuring all of these genres.

So 8,5/10 9/10
  6. Mar 31, 2013
    The best part of this movie that is being overlooked by it's critics is the genius and the wonder full progression of how each main character comes to terms with their ethics, being honorable and doing the right thing. Each one of them are put in situations where it would be much easier to take the easy way out and give in to their anger violence and prejudice and be like every one else of their species and not uphold honor and integrity. There are not enough movies out there like this one and there needs to be more. The movie makes so many good points about character and overcoming our primitive responses and showing us how violence and oppression can be overcome with non violent solutions and more forward moving ways of being and thinking. Expand
  7. Mar 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Twilight aside, please allow me to comment on the cinematic masterpiece that was The Host. The poignancy of this quality film stemmed from a script that allowed the characters to truly tap into a world of emotion far beyond human comprehension. Indeed, this movie is quite literally, "out of this world," as alien lifeforms--nay "souls," as they are called--take over all bipedal hominids. All bipedal hominids, that is, save for a group of hardy individuals called The Resistance. Though originally unable to accept Wanderer/Melanie as one of their own, they eventually [spoiler alert] learn to accept her as the lovable, alien-infested being that she is. The striking originality and angst-ridden drama of this film lended itself to a powerfully emotional experience that will remain with me for many a year to come.
    #love #this #movie
  8. Mar 29, 2013
    I haven't read the book, so i found this movie very enjoyable, interesting and kinda of fresh for me. I didn't realize that the time went by so quick but it still a good one. This movie shows human interactions and emotions such as hate, love, fear, trust, courage and hope.

If you are after a non stop action movie, then don't go watch this. If others said that the book was much better
    than the movie, then maybe i will go buy and read the book. Again, i enjoy this movie and it's a very entertaining one for me compared to horrible die hard 5. Expand
  9. Mar 29, 2013
    Pacing
    - The pacing was very good for the time restraints it has (800+ page book into 2 hours movie) thing flowed from scene to scene. The emotional flow is about the same as the book with pieces taken out to shorten the film Action
    - There gun fight and chases though they are quick and don last as long we can chalk that up mostly to length. Though there is not as much action and many my
    have thought. There a still scene intermixed helping the flow of the movie.

Cinematography
    - Really nice looking Andrew Niccol does a fabulous Job using wide camera angles to show case the scenery Which is stunning even for a desert. He captures the emotion of character using the camera to show their face and eyes to help show you how the characters are felling. This was very well done.

Production
    - I personally Love the cave scene I feel as though they did a really good job with something of this magnitude (a huge interior living cave system),
    -The desert scene are well shot and make you feel lost as if you where in the desert with the characters
    -The scene in Louisiana Are very well shot used many land marks that look and feel Futuristic and metallic.
    -This is same look is used for the look of the vehicles, tools and accessories used and it's pulled off very well Has flashes of Andrew Niccol's visual style
    -Which lead to Costumes, they were great as souls the where a vintage style, as the cave dwellers they look and feel worn in and practical. Music
    - Score throughout the film good Scored by Antonio Pinto* He does a fabulous job using the score to help convey emotions and help the pacing of the movie flow
    -There is also an official soundtrack that has many great artists, and it is very good and worth checking out bit and pieces of this are dispersed throughout the film. Emotions
    - It was touching in a few scenes, but at times I felt it kind of sputtered and never really took off. Andrew Niccol is not an actor's director and I wish he were because (as written below) some scenes the actors could've been directed/pushed more.

Acting
    - Solid no weak links amongst the actors/actresses who had speaking parts. Saoirse was good, She thoroughly pulled off the duel roll of Melanie and Wanda, Which she separated by using different accents Melanie(southern, Wanda proper and soft) And she did very well my only Gripe was that to communicate while preventing confusion was to talk outside(no Voice over) as Wanda and talk inside (using a voice over) as Melanie, and feel it might have been better to keep some of the audiology in her head to better convey that, but that would be hard to do and would be confusing to the audience seeing as it’s the same voice.
    - Chandler Canterbury Started out rocky his first experience could have been a little better But she is a very good young actor and can show a lot of emotion. William Hurt was, in my mind, the standout. I see critics really liking his performance. He was funny when needed and he really was this character. Max and Jake were good. They both have a very good presents in the film Jake is able to steel scenes to it balances out with Saoirse -Boyd and Doc were very good. Though i wish they both got more screen time and character development If I had to rank the cast -
    William Hurt (great)
    Boyd Holbrook (awesome screen presence)
    Max Irons, Jake Abel (both were good)
    Diane Kruger (Very solid)
    Francis Fisher (solid but she had minimal screen time)
    Saoirse Ronan (good to fantastic), Chandler Canterbury (pretty good)

Directing
    - It was good. He has an attention to detail, thought I do wish he could have fixed certain scene and flow like the rest to the movie, but those were very few and everything else worked. His visual style is great I personally love it. 8.5 Overall it was a solid movie, a solid adaption, but it felt a little rushed a point and is missing aspect from the source they could have lent to making it better.
  10. Mar 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok, that was really amazing
    Dont compare this with Twilight.

Earth has been inhabited by an intellegent alien species known as "Souls." Although an incredibly peaceful race, Souls can only survive by being inserted into a host body, taking control of their minds. In an effort to discover the secret whereabouts of some of the last remaining human resistances, the Soul Wanderer has been inserted into the human being Melanie Stryder, who was captured while attempting to locate her family. After insertion, Wanderer comes to realize an unsettling fact- Melanie has not faded away in consciousness, and in fact is putting up walls in her mind to prevent her family from being found. As time passes and Wanderer tries to break Melanie's walls, she begins to feel sympathetic toward the humans Melanie loves so dearly- her brother Jamie and her partner, Jared Howe. Wanderer becomes torn between loyalty to her own race, trying to give information to the argumentative Seeker assigned to her, and her blossoming love for the humans in her memories. As Wanderer's and Melanies trust builds, they embark on a journey through the desert to find the resistance, nearly dying in the process. Wanderer awakens to find herself captive in the den of the enemy, and realizes her problems have just begun: the humans want her dead, the doctor wants to experiment on her, she may have accidentally lead the Seekers here, and she has become hopelessly in love with Jared, the man who belongs to the human she occupies. What follows is an inspiring story of friendship, love, and loyalty in which the bonds of human brotherhood are tested, and an alien discovers that in all the planets in the universe she has experienced, humans are the only race she would give her life to save.

1. Reviewed by: Curtis Woloschuk
    Apr 7, 2013
    Steven Spielberg famously retained his childhood sense of wonder. On this evidence, Meyer has maintained a nine-year-old's notion of titillating romance.
  2. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Apr 3, 2013
    This film adaptation feels like YA, with cat’s-cradle love matches, soft-focus sexuality, and a main character who never satisfactorily makes the transition from page to screen.
  3. Reviewed by: Owen Gleiberman
    Mar 29, 2013
    It's really a dramatic sinkhole.