6.6

1. Aug 23, 2010
    That was not a horror movie, it was a terrible piece of a movie!
    Even if this was a parody of a horror movie it wasnt good.
    No scary parts.... really.
    It sucked, waste of time :(
  2. Dec 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is often difficult to identify with foreign films as we don't "get" the inside stuff. This film was done throughout the 1950's on small budgets. Yet there were believable monsters or forces and the characters dealt with them almost the way we think we would have. There also were many "monster" films that spent no attention to detail, poorly developed characters, inept dialogue, and maybe a political statement or some pathos thrown in. We have the latter here.
    The acting is at times silly and then serious. Why does the monster kidnap people? A snack later? And the bad government including the U.S. made to look inept. If the film takes place in the present there is technology that could have easily found the monster and destroyed it. Oh yeah, couldn't because of the virus.
    Why critics have chosen to heap praise on this is beyond my understanding. It seems like the makers of the film tried but it just doesn't play to American sensibilities. I fast forwarded through most of it. Not impressed with the monster or the humans. But maybe that's just my American perspective. It got raves in Korea. For these reasons I rate it a U for unratable or maybe unwatchable. You want to see a good foreign monster movie, try Big Man Japan.
  3. Jul 3, 2012
    Wow i really was expecting such a great monster movie with plenty of scares and good effects and acting, or at least that's what all of the movie critics were saying. So when i saw this movie at blockbuster, i decided "why not? everyone says its a good movie" so i rented it, little did i know that i was being lured into the biggest crap-fest that i have ever seen in my life. For starters,Wow i really was expecting such a great monster movie with plenty of scares and good effects and acting, or at least that's what all of the movie critics were saying. So when i saw this movie at blockbuster, i decided "why not? everyone says its a good movie" so i rented it, little did i know that i was being lured into the biggest crap-fest that i have ever seen in my life. For starters, the plot really made no sense at all, I mean, why would toxic acid turn a fish into a giant monster?, and if so, then how come only ONE fish was affected by the acid, when there's at least a couple hundred fish in the lake. Secondly, the acting was laughable and couldn't fool a four year old, and quite frankly, neither could the "monster". Lastly, the dubbing, I really hated how this was a Korean movie and was meant to STAY in Korea but some idiot decided to translate it to English so they could bring this garbage film over to America, and the dubbing sucked so bad, i ,mean when the people were done talking , their mouths were still moving. this movie sucked, bottom line, and if you want to see a GOOD monster film then i recommend "the mist" Expand
  4. Apr 29, 2014
    One of the worst films I have ever seen. Not believable or thrilling in the least. The acting is so bad that it nixes the possibility of any suspension of disbelief. The film has no consistent tone and the characters are utterly ridiculous.

1. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    When the movie isn't being scary, it's crazily funny, so much so that critical watchers will wonder if Bong might tilt the balance of the picture too far in a comic direction and water down the scares. He doesn't.
  2. Reviewed by: Elizabeth Kerr
    Bong has pulled together a multilayered horror-drama that works more often than not. The film gets back on track after a clumsy middle section that's too long and finishes strong, and Bong fans, horror fans and Asiaphiles are likely to be thoroughly satisfied.
  3. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    On almost every level, there's never quite been a monster movie like The Host. Egregiously subverting its own genre while still delivering shocks at a pure genre level, and marbled with straight-faced character humor that constantly throws the viewer off balance.