8.1

1. YoonMinC.
    Sep 26, 2003
    As an adaptation of a Wharton novel, House of Mirth takes an opposite approach to Scorsese's Age of Innocence. If Scorsese couldn't resisting glorifying(thru visual fascination)the very world Wharton was dissecting, House of Mirth takes a more down-to-earth, even plain look at this world of high society. Perhaps this is partly due to a smaller budget, but I feel this movie As an adaptation of a Wharton novel, House of Mirth takes an opposite approach to Scorsese's Age of Innocence. If Scorsese couldn't resisting glorifying(thru visual fascination)the very world Wharton was dissecting, House of Mirth takes a more down-to-earth, even plain look at this world of high society. Perhaps this is partly due to a smaller budget, but I feel this movie achieves something closer to Wharton's spirit whereas Scorsese's all-too-reverent adaptation resembles a glossy museum piece. The world portrayed in this movie is highly refined and genteel but also highly deceptive and a ruthless cardgame of facades. The heroine of the movie, bred and expected to succeed in this world, never understands the nature of the gamble or the stakes involved, and the movie slowly, achingly slides into muted tragedy. Great acting all around except by Dan Ackroyd whose villainous growls are saturday cartoon material. Expand
  2. AndreaH.
    Jun 6, 2001
    I read this book years ago, even before becoming a huge Gillian Anderson fan. The book became my favorite and when I heard Gillian was doing the movie...I was in heaven. This movie is amazing. You may think it's dull at parts but you can't finish it and deny that Gillian is not absolutely wonderful as Lily. I love her...I love it! Watch it...or I'll kill you all. : )
  3. Ruthanne
    Mar 3, 2001
    It's a little hard to get into, but once you are into it, it is a brilliant film. Gillian Anderson was very good in that role.
    Jan 24, 2006
    This performance should have won Gillian Anderson the Oscar. The entire movie is like watching a beautiful painting come to life.

How well you respond to this handsomely mounted, cold-blooded tragedy will depend on your feelings toward Gillian Anderson's highly theatrical lead performance.
    Anderson, in her first major non-Scully film role, is lethally miscast.
    Leisurely yet streamlined film, brilliantly adapted by British filmmaker Terence Davies from Edith Wharton's most powerful novel.