8.0

1. Jul 21, 2014
    Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss is spectacular, the hunger games catching fire is much better than its predecessor, is visually beautiful, it is a glory to see, Josh Hutcherson as Peeta is beautiful. THE HUNGER GAMES IS THE BEST YEAR EXPERIENCE. NO falls into clichés and stereotypes, is pure drama and action. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT SPECTACULAR OF THE WORD.
  2. Jul 19, 2014
    Supera por mucho a la primera, posee unos mejores efectos visuales, un gran vestuario y maquillaje, aunque con un guión un tanto pobre, pero con actuaciones muy buenas, una magnifica dirección de Francis Lawrence, y es casi como si te leyeran el libro.
  3. Jun 25, 2014
    Prior to watching this: I have seen the first film but have not read any of the books.
    Review:
    Pros: We go through the same process again as per the first film, except now Katniss is stronger, the Resistance has arisen and the Games are not going to go according to plan. Great story and action. As good as the first film.
    Cons: A bit of repetition of the first film?
    4.5/5 - Good enough
    to pay to watch it in the cinema and perhaps buy the DVD. Expand
  4. Ed_
    Jun 11, 2014
    Briefly: waited for a movie like that one for a long time.

This Hunger Games film is much more about than killing. It's about love, deception, cruelty, politics, deception and humanity in a great mix. I'm extremely interested in politics and humanity, so this movie is absolutely for me. I enjoyed every minute of it.
    Actors are perfect, they know how and when they have to show emotions.

Effects are also enthralling.
    All in all, creators had a lot of work with this film but achieved an unbelievably incredible sequel.

Keep up the good work!
  5. May 23, 2014
    | Great improvement on the first film. A must-see if you’re a fan or want in on the hype! |
    +The emotion of the characters is brought on strong with compassion;
    +Avatar-grade scenery and animals… enough said;
    +Follows the novel very closely, +story is very understandable;
    -Some parts are left out.

You can find more on this review at http://BLAZONREVIEWS.tk!
  6. May 2, 2014
    It is not very common that a sequel turns out to be better than the original, but somehow here's Catching Fire, with an awesome performance by Lawrence and better CGI that makes this movie an amazing experience.
  7. Apr 20, 2014
    this is a great 2nd movie to the hunger games except it has a stupid ending which means i cant wait till the 1 st par of mocking jay (a 2 part 3rd movie for the hunger games) to come out in november 2014
  8. Apr 18, 2014
    The first 30 minutes of this movie I was wondering whit was getting such high praise. And then it started to pickup and now I know why. Once the hunger games part started it was so good. And the ending was great. I cant wait for the next one to come out.
  9. Apr 16, 2014
    Besides from having some dull performances from some supporting cast members, having some unrealistic life-saving coincidences and the occasional lack of logic, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is better than its great predecessor, proving to be bigger and more thrilling and providing a powerhouse performance by Jennifer Lawrence and a fabulous performance by Stanley Tucci. A rare sequel that surpasses it's predecessor, albeit not having the emotional impact of the original. Expand
  10. Apr 14, 2014
    The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is definitely an improvement upon the first film. With a deeper emotional depth and a better look at the series themes, and let's not forget an amazing lead performance from Academy-Award-Winner: Jennifer Lawrence.
  11. Apr 12, 2014
    A young-adult franchise movie that reflects concretely the message from the book with an almost prefect performance from Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen.
  12. Apr 11, 2014
    I like science fiction. I like post apocalyptic stories. I like dystopian stories. I like smart original stories. I like the Hunger Games. It's a fine story about an Atheist utopia where everyone's happy and peaceful and life is good without gawd.
  13. Mar 28, 2014
    When I saw the first Hunger Games film, I enjoyed it but I went into it without reading the book at all. So I made sure that I read the books before the next film came out and I enjoyed the book enough to where I got really hyped for the Catching Fire movie and it was amazing!! I enjoyed this movie so much and it was a lot better than the first Hunger Games movie. It had some great drama and suspense to keep me captive around the action scenes. The locations were also cool and I liked that they seemed more open and fleshed out in this movie than the first film. The characters were good, the acting was good, everything in this film is great. This is a one of kind film that I think sci-fi and dystopia fans will really enjoy, even if they didn't read the book. Expand
  14. Mar 20, 2014
    A wonderful thrill ride of a sequel that vastly improves the first film in every way! As a reader of the book, I'm proud to say I really enjoyed this. Bring on Mockingjay Part 1!
  15. Mar 15, 2014
    Una película entretenida, que te deja con las ganas de ver "The Hunger Games: Mokingjay - Part 1", contiene una buena dirección artística, y el trabajo de Trish Summerville en el vestuario lo hace ser merecedor de no solo la nominación al Oscar si no también el galardón, esta película sin duda es una de las mejores del año, que en mi opinión, es mejor que "Gravity", y por mucho.
  16. Mar 9, 2014
    An absolute masterpiece. It kept me guessing and is filled with tension and emotion. The performances are fantastic and believable. The movie had me on the edge of my seat and constantly questioning things like who to trust, or how character relationships would/will turn out. As someone who has not read the books I have no idea what to expect next from this fantastic series, and the ending has me begging for the next chapter. All in all I found "Catching Fire" to be an improvement in every way on the already fantastic original. It's a movie like no other and I highly recommend that you check this series out. I am completely blown away with how fantastic this movie turned out and I already had pretty high expectations. Expand
  17. Mar 8, 2014
    It's living up to the name of the book in every details. So Hunger games : Catching Fire is good in all aspects. It's artificial but truthful when it talk about the world we are around. The scenario will not possible at all when thinking with today. But it is possible when all things concerned. It's truthful when comes to the human nature. So a perfect 10 is reasonable when the genre, the adaptation, story and the core message concerned. Expand
  18. Mar 3, 2014
    I loved the first Hunger Games film, but I realized after watching it a second time it was merely a nice setup for something potentially greater. Catching Fire is excellent entertainment but it's the deeper plot and societal references that will grab you and keep you long after the action has faded. I didn't read any of the books, and as much as I'd like to after seeing the first two movies I almost want to hold off to maximize the impact of the movies. Maybe a "10" isn't a balanced score, but I am hard pressed to think of a movie in recent memory that had me so wired and on the edge of my seat. Jennifer Lawrence is fantastic and the cast surrounding her all turn in great performances as well. This Hunger Games is more visceral - I didn't want it to end, ever. We'll get Mockingjay to close out the trilogy and I was thrilled to hear that it will be a two-part movie. It's just sad to think that there can only be one more complete chapter in what has quickly become the coolest franchise since Harry Potter, especially as The Hobbit has turned out to be nothing special. To Danny Strong (screenwriter) I say: do us proud - Suzanne Collins' oversight will do wonders to keep the movies faithful, but it's your transition from literary fiction to silver-screen entertainment that needs to land the most. So excited. Expand
  19. Feb 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I absolutely loved Catching Fire and how it was played out. It was so perfect how the whole arena was a a huge clock counting down the hours and with every new hour it was a new threat. It was way better then the first Hunger Games. I even read the book and the movie was a little bit different but I did wait for the movie and it was not disappointing at all! I hope they don't forget about Peter's Perl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    xoxo Rues_Song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  20. Feb 10, 2014
    The second instalment has more drama, conflict, engaging characters, and a vicious arena. A way is found to return the champions to the battlefield. But nothing is really what it seems to be. There are layers under which the different characters are working.

Catching Fire takes the conflict steadily away from being everything about who survives in the arena to the larger issue, which is
    the tyranny of the Capitol. Katniss, for the sake of the audience, doesn't know much about what is being plotted in secret, mainly because she isn't the most discrete and patient of people.

Gale Hawthorne is developed further before the focus once again returns to Katniss and Peeta. Both of them must form alliances if they hope to have one of them survive. Finnick and Johanna breathe some life into an otherwise stagnant narrative. They are both cocky and witty and peculiar, and talented in the art of killing. Beetee is skilled with the use of electricity. Haymitch is much more cunning and resolved this time around. He seems to have a purpose he is keeping from both Katniss and Peeta.

President Snow wants Katniss to make the people of the districts believe that it was true love that made her want to eat the berries alongwith Peeta at the end of their previous expedition into the arena. People are taking her deathwish for a display of defiance. For her part she wants to cooperate so they would leave her and her family in peace. She just wants to live the rest of her life recovering from the mental damage she has suffered from killing all those people. But it isn't working and Snow finds another way for quelling the hopes of the inhabitants of the districts.

Hoffman plays the new gamemaker hired by Snow. He is tasked with arranging Katniss's death so the whole issue about the mockingjay would go away. He lives up to his name in his last performance of his life. Sadly we won't be able to see his character in the next two instalments.

The stakes are higher than the lives of both the characters. It is freedom that is the goal here and the movie ends in a way which would leave the viewers in no doubt about where the story is headed. The promise is large and I hope that they deliver. I know the last book was a bit underwhelming, so some modifications would have to be made to keep the following two sequels interesting. The theme discussed is the same as before_ human suffering though poverty, hunger, war and persecution.

They did everything they could have with this instalment. The budget was bigger. The set design, visual effects, costumes and weapons more impressive. But the reason the movie succeeds is they also went bigger with the characters. They felt more lively and real. If this instalment is any indication, the next two films are going to earn huge sums of money too. Catching Fire has turned the franchise very lucrative.

9.5
  21. Jan 27, 2014
    A must watch !, this movie is well done. This time there's no sharky cameras, that's an improvement. It's start only at the middle of the movie, but personally its a 2h30 film that passed so fast !
  22. Jan 26, 2014
    "Absolutely sublime from start to finish and I will jam forks into my eyes if I ever use those words to describe anything again." - Yahtzee/Zero Punctuation
  23. Jan 22, 2014
    This is one of those rare times when I have read the book and was pleased with the movie. The producers/directors did a fine job following the story and the actors did a great job making the characters true to form.

Loved this movie!
  24. Jan 10, 2014
    While the first Hunger Games movie was a bit lackluster and disappointing, the 2nd film does justice to the book and the author. Jennifer Lawrence was a bit emotionless in the first film (although maybe Katniss really would've been like that), but she improves her acting for the second film. The other victors like Beetee, Finnick, and Johanna were great. (Johanna was especially funny!) The rest of cast is good too, even though I feel like characters such as Cinna and Prim weren't in the movie enough (but unfortunately you can't fit everything from the book into the movie). Besides the victors, the addition of Presidents Snow's granddaughter was a nice touch. Things from the book were adapted well for the movie, and to sum it all up this movie was really good. I can't wait for the next movie!

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1 will be released November 2014 and Part 2 in 2015.

If you liked this review, read my other ones on a wide variety of movies, TV shows, and videogames by clicking on my name, and please mark this review as helpful.
  25. Jan 7, 2014
    The Hunger Games Catching Fire is an example of cinema done right. I went into the theatre pretty nervous that this movie would not live up to its expectations. The book had so much content that I knew wouldn't make it into the movie that I almost convinced myself before the movie started that it was going to be bad. I was completely wrong. The movie as a whole followed the book pretty well going up into the hunger games. Sadly I haven't finshed the book because I'm not interested In Catnices love triangle being mentioned every page, which leads me to my next point. The movie doesn't force the love triangle stuff down our throats. The acting in all areas was amazing.

But the movie isn't perfect. There were a few things missing that I think should have been added in the final cut. In the book, we learn how Haymich became a champion of the hunger games. We also learn a bit about the Avox's. These servants of the capitol have been branded traitors, had their tounges removed, and tasked with waiting apon tributes as they get ready for the hunger games. You can see them in the backround of some scenes but as far as the audience knows, they are just random people. These missing pieces dont ruin the puzzel, but they would make it more complete. Plus the Movie made a betrayal seem painfully obvious. The way the actor portrayed his character in a certain scene kinda ruined the surprise. The book did a better job of keeping that secret.

Overall, despite the few hickups, The movie was spectacular. the arena was beautiful and the special effects looked somewhat realistic. I say somewhat because I have yet to see a movie other than Avatar that nails 3d effects and cgi flawlessly. The acting was great and the story was engaging. Now I knwo the next movie is going to be harder to see because it is the most gruesome of the trilogy, but after seeing this movie I think they can pull it off.
  26. Jan 3, 2014
    Far better than the first one. Stunning visuals, interesting storyline & good acting all add up to make a pretty cool film. Haven't read the books but think I might give them a whirl after seeing the first two movies. Can't wait to see how the third one pans out!
  27. Jan 2, 2014
    Jennifer Lawrence is everything. She delivers a fantastic performance that makes the audience believe in her character's anger and vulnerability. Her acting has improved since the first movie and it truly makes this movie believable and better than the first one. There were some scenes that needed to be fixed, but it's not that big of a deal for this #1 action movie of 2013.
  28. Jan 1, 2014
    Much better than the first movie and I really enjoyed that one. Unlike the Hobbit that is also showing at this time this movie follows the book fairly closely. I just re-read the series a few months ago knowing that this movie was coming out. I think that the special effects were well done and the acting was above average. I look forward to the third book part one?!
  29. Dec 31, 2013
    One of the best movies of 2013 I think it is even better than gravity. The movie captures the world of the hunger games in an amazing way, and I loved every bit of the movie.
  30. Dec 27, 2013
    This is one of the best movies of 2013 in my opinion. I found myself intergued from start to finish and wanting more once the film was over. Gone is the shaky camera in combat. The movie follows the book perfectly with only one or 2 notable diferances. The acting is good all around which is necesarry to make a good movie. It is slightly dissapointing how much it feels like the first book/movie. Despite of that short coming it is a fantastic movie
    score
    9.6
  31. Dec 27, 2013
    It's just like the book, far better than the previous movie filled with drama and action! A must have and must see! It's easy to follow, emotional and brilliant!
  32. Dec 23, 2013
    The first movie was entertaining, but not a movie I'd want to see a second time. Some of the stuff, like Prim's name getting chosen was something we'd heard a thousand times. This movie is head and shoulders better; so many more surprises, better special effects, and at the ending, I couldn't stop smiling. (Not the ending right before the credits.) The point is, Catching Fire is an awesome film.
  33. Dec 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie is great. It's not a happy (silly) fairy tale featuring a prince finding a princess and live happily together but a dark society instead. The plot is amazing which follows the book (I think so, I skipped some parts for the book), the acting is good (at least it satisfy me) and the best thing is the theme of the story is not deleted when translating the book to the movie. It still features how dark the society is through comparisons (the Capitol's party and District 12), atmosphere (I hear Katniss's mum started to cry when she heard her daughter is going back to the games through TV) and conversations (the little girl in the tour told Katniss she thought being a tribute is glorious and wanted to join the games when she grew up). These scenes are memorable to me and they really makes me think of the society today. Of course, there are some scenes between Katniss and Peeta/Gale, but the overall message is obvious and memorable. I can't wait watching the last two films. Expand
  34. Dec 23, 2013
    This movie had some serious action, plot twists but an anticlimactic closing which has left me excited for the next installment of the series. Let the true fun...begin!
  35. Dec 21, 2013
    Francis Lawrence surprise us again after a great direction and I Am Legend brings unlike previous: better special effects (although they are not the best and that subtraction), better plot and a great ending. Jennifer Lawrence turns and more beautiful than ever and even better acting than the previous (looks like the Oscar he hit well), Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth act better, but no big deal, Donald Sutherland puts you goosebumps as Snow, Elizabeth Banks splendid as usual, and the other brilliant performances (especially Woody Harrelson). The finding: the last sentence says Liam Hemsworth leaves you with a lot of desire to see Mockingjay. The bad thing about the movie: the opening minutes becomes boring. Expand
  36. Dec 18, 2013
    Great improvement from the first Hunger Games, story in much more complex and interesting, more creative action scenes and truly breathtaking ending makes Catching Fire one of the best book adaptations!
  37. Dec 17, 2013
    This movie just awesome. The cast so natural,the animation and the setting so stunning,the plot is exactly like the book. This is the best movie of the year. The story is like really happen in the past... Awesome. Jennifer is a talented cast. Congrats for all the catching fire team
  38. Dec 17, 2013
    Amazing! Best movie I have seen all year, from the first 10 minutes of the movie I was already holding my seat and knew it was going to be a good movie. I didn't really enjoy the first Hunger games but this was better than anything i could have expected! If you haven't't seen it I cant recommend it enough!
  39. Dec 16, 2013
    Definitely the best action movie of the year, its subtle traps in ecstasy voltage, Jennifer Lawrence is doing very well and every time convincing me more as an actress. We definitely expect a splendid party culminated last one of the better designed trilogies century.
  40. Dec 15, 2013
    Great movie.

The first half in particular is exceptional, fresh after the events of the first movie it does an amazing job at showing us the ramification of those events. It also fixes all the issues of the first movie by properly building the world this time around so you can understand the gravity of what's at stake, and by making that world truly feel tri-dimensional. All of that
    while also keeping a perfect pace.

The second half is still pretty good, but not as good. The problem is that it focuses too much on what's going on in the dome right there instead of showing us what it means on a larger scale, and as a result the movie does lose some of the depth it had built during the first half.

Still, it's a massive improvement over the previous one which was already quite good. Can't wait for the next one!
  41. Dec 12, 2013
    A real Hit compared to the first movie, One hell of a Action thriller movie, And very enjoyable for those who have read the books, I would strongly recommend seeing this or buying it when it comes out on dvd.
  42. Dec 11, 2013
    To put it simply this film is amazing. It's thrilling, captivating and unexpected at every turn. Despite it's impressive length as I sensed the ending coming I wished it wouldn't, and that's some of the highest praise I can give a movie. Whether it be the stunning visuals the perfectly suiting soundtrack or the fantastic story there's something here for everyone. The story is as touching and heartfelt as it is exciting and brutally true to the world it's set in. Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson have great chemistry, elevating the story immeasurable lengths and the rest of the cast have outstanding performances Elizabeth Banks and Woody Harrelson to name but a few. A must see for everyone Expand
  43. Dec 9, 2013
    Catching Fire was an amazing book, and it pleases me to say that the film delivered spectacularly. From the visuals, costumes, makeup, score, and of the course the incredible acting from a dream cast. As faithful an adaption as a fan could hope for. Francis Lawrence proved himself big time, and it pleases me to know he will be directing both parts of Mockingjay.
  44. Dec 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Making comparisons, it’s undeniable that “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” has overcome the first film of several possible ways. It is by far the best movie adaptation I’ve ever watched. Director Francis Lawrence (who thankfully also took charge of the two parts of “Mockingjay”) followed to the letter the most important events of the book. I believe that if Francis would've taken the whole saga, the first film would be even more rewarding for all of us.

The implementation of the scenes of the tour, followed by the act of the Peacemakers’ violence in District 12 (Gale can say so!), Katniss finding out she has to return to the arena, the training, the scenes inside the arena, with the fog, the monkey mutts, and the jabberjays (I loved that scene). I just can’t describe how amazing this movie is.
  45. Dec 5, 2013
    This was an amazing movie. period. The end will make you want to punch the person beside you because of frustration but overall its an amazing experience, its as if just as you get into it. it ends.
  46. Dec 5, 2013
    I thought the movie was good except for the ending because it just did not seem right..................................................................
  47. Dec 5, 2013
    Great Movie. Change a lot the meaning of the hunger games and keep you so interested to watch the next one, Mockingjay, I never read the books but I think it will be a great end and will give us some lessons for life...
  48. Dec 4, 2013
    Phenomenal movie! I've read through the books three times, and have now seen Catching Fire four times in IMAX. It follows the book almost to a tee, right down to some scenes having dialogue straight from the book. The cinematography was fantastic, and the use of IMAX when entering the arena (the view opens up from the standard size to fill the entire movie screen) to show that the arena is a new, different world. It had me on the edge of my seat the entire way through, even when I was tearing up at certain parts. Definitely an improvement on the first movie, which was still great in its own way. Francis Lawrence did the franchise proud and I cannot wait for the next two installments. Expand
  49. Dec 2, 2013
    I was very excited for this movie and had been waiting for it very eagerly for what felt like years now and it definitely did not disappoint. It was as amazing as i had expected it to be, if not better. I loved The Hunger Games but this one was even better...with stunning visuals and a great cast, Catching Fire according to me one one of the best movies of the year. I personally really like Jennifer Lawrence and she definitely did justice to the role of Katniss Everdeen. I truly loved Catching Fire and it is worthy of all the great reviews it is receiving...its sure to be a huge box office hit. Expand
  50. Dec 2, 2013
    I thought that an absolutely incredible book was turned into a truly great film. If i had gone to the cinema expecting an action film of epic proportions with bucket loads of CGI and explosions, then I may have been a little disappointed. However, what I did see was a film with a gripping storyline that was both dark and disturbing in a way that kept me on the edge of my seat. If I had to give a criticism, it would be that we do not feel the same sympathy towards the majority the tributes than in the first instalment as they rarely speak which makes it harder to connect with them. All in all though, a really good film. I just hope that the third achieves the same standards as the first two. Expand
  51. Dec 1, 2013
    Catching Fire betters its predecessor in nearly every way and that is one hell of a feat due to the first film, The Hunger Games, being one of my favourite book to film adaptations.
    The story picks up a year after the first film, Katniss & Peeta pretend to be madly in love and the 75th Hunger Games quickly approach meaning the previous years victors must go on a tour of the districts.
    However when a rebellious uprising begins to form in each of the district's, President Snow orders new head gamesmaker Plutarch Heavensbee, to kill Katniss and end the rebellion. Plutarch's Hunger Games invite previous victors back to the arena to fight once again putting Katniss in the firing line, however even those in the games have a grudge against Snow meaning things wont quite to go plan.
    Catching Fire is well shot, well directed and of course well written, the performances are once again top notch and the visual effects are simply stunning.
    If you haven't read the books the ending can come as a bit of a kick in the balls when it gives you that cliffhanger but in all Catching Fire is an excellent film that you should without a doubt go and see.
  52. Nov 30, 2013
    Being an avid reader and both a movie lover, watching The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, was truly a satisfying experience. One of the pros to the film are that the actors display a wide range of emotion, especially Jennifer Lawrence. Usual actors will do their part, but Catching Fire's notable characters display deep and emotional realistic presence. The issue between Katniss and Peeta's growth remains a question, as like many movies these days, lack the ability to develop a relationship believably. Perhaps its the fact that the book is in first person, while the movie cannot delve into Katniss' feelings orally. Despite this minor flaw, Catching Fire provides a long, but durable and enjoyable experience with action, emotion, and convincingly acted scenes. Expand
  53. Nov 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A lot of hype was set for this movie and for a great cause. The movie is a big improvement from the first movie, so if your worried for any shaky cams. don't worry you won't be seeing any of those in this movie. The acting of Jennifer Lawrence is again superb in this new installment of the trilogy, the supporting cast also does a terrific job at their roles. It does take some time until the games start because the hunger games is not the main focus of the movie, its the revolution that Katniss has started from the first movie. I like that about this movie but the movie got a bit dragging when it was in the middle of the games, because there were parts of the movie that should have been removed, the revolution was really cool but the hunger games part, was a bit dragged out. I still enjoyed the movie and I'm really excited for the next installment. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire gets a 9/10 Expand
  54. Nov 30, 2013
    This movie is probably the best sequel i've seen since the bourne ultimatum, the action,drama,thriller,and acting is well-balanced, jennifer lawrence,josh hutcherson,and others was great even though a bit underaged. and even i did not understand the movie full enough, it is still the best thrilller and sequel i've seen this year (A Must Watch)
  55. Nov 29, 2013
    Catching Fire is the second installment to the ever improving and fantastic franchise. It features a team of great actors at its helm that bring the material to life with ease. That material that is brought to life is fiery and almost perfectly written. The depth and emotion packed into each piece of dialogue is incredible. Jennifer Lawrence is a star. She makes it known that she is now one of the best actresses in Hollywood. The team following behind her that include such phenominal standouts are Josh Hutcherson, Jena Malone, Sam Claflin, Woody Harrelson and Elizabeth Banks really pack even more of an incredible punch to the screen. This is not only one of the best sequels in recent years, it is one of the best films of the year. Francis Lawrence is welcomed to this franchise, and we all should be glad he is staying. I give this film 100%. Expand
  56. Nov 29, 2013
    I had a great time seeing the movie, it brings to the stage a different kind of movie, it has everything and well the outfits are great The only thing i didn' t like was the idea that i know there is another one which let's me know that the end is going to leave me hanging. I don`t know English well, because I am from Ukraine, so copied comment below, but I like this film and think it is the best thing, what director could do on the book ecranization Expand
  57. Nov 29, 2013
    This movie is right up to par with the book. A must see.... multiple times. If you read the book, you will not be disappointed. If you didn't read the book, you will still enjoy it!
  58. Nov 28, 2013
    It's kind of hard to compare Catching FIre to its predecessor without talking about the books. I can say right now that as a movie, Catching Fire is noticeably superior to the Hunger Games, but i'm not sure what to credit that to, an overall better job on moviemaking or just the fact that it's based on a better book. Regardless, this film is significantly more entertaining than the original. It takes a look at the bigger picture of the story. It's no longer about the Hunger games, but the corrupt government that's about to face a revolution and all of the politics in between. It may not be perfect, but it's a fun and exciting movie with strong characters and an interesting story, and it's definitely worth more than one viewing. Expand
  59. Nov 28, 2013
    Catching fire, the best hunger games yet? For me yes. Everything that was good about the first one was doubled and is completly amazing. The acting was fenominal and stunning. The scenery was amazing and the twist at the end was great.
  60. Nov 27, 2013
    This sequel not only delivers, but leaves me wondering where the rest of the series will go from here. It brings intensity, deliverance and much more conflicting situations between the characters and the story itself. Overall, way better than the first. I give it an A!
  61. dtl
    Nov 27, 2013
    The first Hunger Games movie was a great movie. This was much better. It was the best sequel I've seen in a long time. It had great characters, and great acting, while being completely coherent. There were very few missteps, if any, in the way this movie was made. (Side Note: Jennifer Lawrence is even better than I remember her.)

You don't need to be a fan of the books to like the
    movie. It stands alone effectively. If you, (like me), did like the books, this movie is even more amazing than it would otherwise be. Expand
  62. Nov 27, 2013
    This film compelled me to sign up and give full marks to here on metacritic! Wow. Saw at IMAX. Faithful to book and 1st film that I thought was better than the book it was modeled upon.

Casting and acting were excellent. The pace of the movie was superb some parts are indeed slower and less action-packed than other parts, but they need to be. My 11 yo daughter (who was Katniss
    for Halloween), my 15 yo son, my wife, and her parents and I all thought the experience was awesome.

It is violent. No doubt. So if that concerns you, then that is a caution.
  63. Nov 27, 2013
    great sequal to the movie. great cinematography, music, acting, action, romance, all that good stuff. you don't want to miss it if you saw the first one.
  64. Nov 27, 2013
    Considero que está película cumple las expectativas de los fans. a mi parecer es mejor que la primera. En cuanto a la dirección se nota el cambio de director. Es una película más oscura, más profunda en cuanto a los temas políticos inmersos en ella. Las actuaciones me agradan, en especial Jennifer Lawrence. Los efectos muy buenos. El guión excelente. La historia muy interesante y deja con ganas de ver más. Expand
  65. Nov 27, 2013
    I read all three books. I thought the first movie was very good, but this one was even better. The director managed to capture the look I had in my head when I read the books and that is very rare for movies adapted from a book. I also couldn't think of anything that was left out from the book everything was covered. The acting is solid across the board, with special kudos to Jennifer Lawrence who captures Katniss perfectly. Can't wait to see the final movie of the trilogy. Expand
  66. Nov 27, 2013
    This 2nd installment of the series carries an atmosphere of intensity and gives weight to the duality of tough choices made, much better than the first, and its quality, here, helps you forgive the 2.5 hour run time.

Perhaps the first movie had no choice but to spend much of its time establishing characters, connections and personalities, but 'Catching Fire' just gets to have fun with
    everyone and everything in the story, without pausing to recap origins or connections between characters.

It's a heck of a lot of fun for fans of the book(s) and those that enjoy fictional/futuristic action movies that are rooted in real life themes and choices that real people have to make, either on a local or international level.

My wife and I were shocked at how much better 'Catching Fire' was compared to the first film installment of this series, and plan to see it a 2nd and perhaps 3rd time before it leaves theaters.

Jennifer Lawrence also establishes herself as a Top of the List celebrity crush for any guy that likes brains and sass as much as attractiveness!
  67. Nov 27, 2013
    Fans of the Hunger Games were dissapointed with the first movie and rightfully so. The film was pretty good, but didn't do the book justice, as it was extremely toned down and nowhere near as in depth as the book was. With a new director for the second book, they did not make the same mistake twice. As someone who has read all the books, I can tell you that Catching Fire is page for page exactly like the book. It was so amazing how much of the book is captured on the screen, as I actually saw the scenes play out the exact same way they did in my head when I first read Catching Fire. Everything down to the last detail is perfect! Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson return and are both fantastic, so good in fact, that I really wonder if Suzanne Collins had them in mind when she wrote this series. The casting is perfect, the acting is perfect, and the direction is perfect. For those of you who never read the series and didn't really see what was so special about the first film, I really suggest that you give this film a chance. I won't give anything away, but this isn't what you expect, especially the ending, and while there are two more films remaining, this will be your last look inside the arena. After Catching Fire, the series turns into something completely different and that's what I love about it. It would have been simple to have three books about the games, but the games are actually a small part of the second film, and won't take place in the next two films. Rarely do I give a film 5 stars, but the second Hunger Games film is done so much better than the first. They don't hold anything back in this one, and you are introduced to a whole other set of unique characters, that you will be seeing in the other films. The cast is brilliant and new Director, Francis Lawrence, manages to capture essence of the book and bring it to life on the big screen, with unbelievable detail. If you didn't read the books and just don't understand what's so great about this series, go see this movie. Expand
  68. Nov 27, 2013
    I had really high expectations, and I was not disappointed. it's the best movie I've seen in a while. Many thanks to the film crew for their outstanding work. One more thing Jennifer Lawrence
  69. Nov 26, 2013
    This movie was really hyped and all of the movies these year with hype was disappointing with some exceptions. This one didn't disappoint at all and was clearly the best of the year. Best movie in a long time. There's everything hear for everyone. I loved it. 9.5/10
  70. Nov 26, 2013
    one freaking word.....Jennifer Lawrence! and i liked the movie because it was superior to the first movie and its more related to the book even thou it missed some material from the book I still enjoyed the stinking movie
  71. Nov 26, 2013
    The first installment of this series was just kind of on par. Catching Fire takes that same premise of the first film and vastly improves it. It really was the first movie with a stronger plot. Jennifer Lawrence does a good job as usual, but Josh Hutcherson really drives it home. A very surprising performance enhancement by Elizabeth Banks, her character actually had emotions this time around and they got to me, Their was one scene with birds, you will know what I'm talking about, that genuinely terrified me when no mainstream horror movie can.
    In conclusion: if you liked the first one, Catching Fire is that but better. If you didn't like the first one, wait for the sequel to come out on DVD/Blu-Ray and give it a try.
  72. Nov 25, 2013
    This was another great movie in the hunger Games Series. This second installment stayed true to the book and ended at a time the audience was like, "What? Don't end it now!". I do wish they went a little further since they still have so much material to work with for the third book. I will be adding this DVD to my collection when it comes out. Well done acting, costumes and script. It would be difficult to step it up from the last movie, but everyone did! You must see! Expand
  73. Nov 25, 2013
    Con un final que te deja con ganas de más "Juegos del hambre en llamas" logra superar a su predecesora, lo único que se siente flojo o un poco forzado es la relación entre Peeta y Katniss. No he leído el libro pero la narrativa de la película logra atraparte durante todo el film. Recomendable.
  74. Nov 25, 2013
    JUST FOR BRAZILIANS:

"Em Chamas" consegue ser uma ótima adaptação cinematográfica, sendo bem fiel a obra escrita por Suzanne Collins e superando longa-metragens de outras sagas, tais como Harry Potter e Percy Jackson e os Olimpianos.
  75. Nov 25, 2013
    I walked into the theater expecting to see a mediocre film no better than the first, I was however incredibly surprised and absolutely lived the film. Perfectly capturing the book, it has a gripping story, great acting, and fantastic visuals. Definetley a must see.
  76. Nov 25, 2013
    people have to score these kind of things on its own way, i mean don't say the book was better than the movie blah blah each thing have to be different bc it'd make no sense seeing the same thing. so.. incredible movie.
  77. Nov 25, 2013
    Some longer films tend to feel long. This one does not. Great job of interpreting the book, without being so graphically violent as to scare younger kids. PG-13 IS the original fan base for this series so it's important to keep the films accessible to that audience. But I was impressed by how many adults of all ages were not only at this film, but actively reading the books... inspired to do so by their kids/grandkids and the movies themselves. Expand
  78. Nov 25, 2013
    Easily outperformed the first Hunger Games and shows a real interest level throughout. Special effects are top notch and much better this time around. The performances are striking and the visuals in both movies are what have sold it to me. It is shocking how convincing the utopian future looks so out there yet so believable with its heavy use of eye shadow and solid color palette lighting. This movie is good go see it. Expand
  79. Nov 25, 2013
    With spot on acting and an intense roller coaster ride of action, the second installment of The Hunger Games does not disappoint. The awkwardness of Katnis is really starting to shine, and you can see it on Jennifer Lawrence's face as she interacts w/ both Peeta and Gale. Finally, a good film...it only took 11 months for one to come out!
  80. Nov 24, 2013
    This new installment in the Hunger Games saga volunteers itself as tribute to excellent pace, drama and ingenuity. My experience with the film left me thinking I really knew Catniss and the world around her. This film also has a rare feature in that it speaks to almost all audiences with an emotional resonance not seen in most major motion pictures. The beginning and middle of the film, which do not take place in a fantastically designed and imagined Hunger Games arena are somehow far more emotionally engrossing than the conclusion of the film, which still held to a high standard of pace and drama.

While I did not read the book, I found the story of this film fairly taught and thought out. The characters were far above expectations, even the new faces and the special effects and CGI of the film gave it an excitement and drive rare in movies like this. Catching Fire is red hot.
  81. Nov 24, 2013
    A good sequel to one of the most beloved franchises of books and now movies. (I didn't read the books)
    I truly loved the first one. It was a very different experience I had at the movies and I won't ever forget it. After the end, I couldn't wait to see the sequel. I was highly anticipating it for the upcoming year and I couldn't wait to see it.
    First off, with the negatives. I felt
    disappointed though towards the end. The fast-paced scenes that were sometimes filler just felt random and out of the ordinary. On top of that, their were many instances in which I felt why a character would change for just a random reason without thinking. Like it didn't make sense. Such as the part on which the leader of the soldiers when they enter District 12, didn't even know who Katniss and Peeta were upon his arrival. Instead, he just seems as if they aren't big at all. It felt strange these parts that really didn't drag me into the world of the ex-US. Some of the writing was very cheesy and stupid but I quickly forgave these parts for the reasons in which these movies are so popular.
    The characters are a huge part for me in any story. The new and old characters felt stronger than they were before. The writing was on par mostly. The scenary and environment looked fantastic and had that feel of actually what it would look like. The rebellion scenes and the brainwashing government really had me captivated. The action was thrilling and impossible to guess how the story would go throughout the whole movie. It is the definition of a blockbuster hit most of the time. The thing that really got me was the acting of Jennifer Lawrence. She steals the show yet again on top of President Snow who you could never really guess the next trick he was going to pull out.
    So in the end, Catching Fire wasn't as strong as the first one but was a blockbluster hit that everyone should at least watch.
  82. Nov 24, 2013
    It may be decidedly more grave than expected, but with such sobering thematic elements in play, the gravity is just the point. "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" is a thrilling, brilliant, and carefully acted sociopolitical sci-fi action epic.
  83. Nov 24, 2013
    The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. A movie for which the expectations are set high. Yesterday I had the chance to finally see it, after a long wait since part one. From the moment the movie started, till it's end, I was completely sucked into the movie. When it ended, I actually had to realise I was sitting in the cinema... From beginning till end, the movie is full of action, tension with a great story! I thought the movie had just begun when it actually ended.
    I think Jennifer Lawrence Josh Hutcherson and all of the cast created a masterpiece!
    In my opinion I would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes action/scifi movies.
    As far as I know, I just can't wait until the 20th of november 2014 for the first part of The Hunger Games: Mockingjay
  84. Nov 24, 2013
    There are not many surprises in "Catching Fire", the second in the Hunger Games trilogy, and that's good because it means the usual stellar acting of Jennifer Lawrence, maybe the best actress in Hollywood today, supported by a fine cast, with Donald Sutherland getting a more pronounced role as the evil President Snow. He truly casts a menacing shadow over the movie, just like in the book.
    What that means is that those who normally prefer books to movie adaptations will be again pleased to see that "Catching Fire" does follow the book very closely. Jennifer Lawrence shows herself to be remarkably versatile and approachable. When in a few scenes she becomes very upset, you have no trouble believing her grief, so believable her performance. I predict a long and brilliant career for her.
    The effects are great, the settings brilliant. Even for those who read the entire trilogy, one is already eagerly awaiting the final chapter "Mockingjay", that, like the first two installments, will have movie goers lined up outside their favorite theaters like no other movie has done in recent memory.
  85. Nov 24, 2013
    Really great movie, quite faithful to the book. (which, might I add, we don't get very often). Keeping in mind, that not everything written can be shown. I really enjoyed it. The movie had some really emotional scenes, but I'm not going to spoil it for you. Great acting, stunning SFX and overall a great movie. I now anxiously await the next part Mockingjay.I recommend this movie to everyone.
  86. Nov 24, 2013
    This film is P-E-R-F-E-C-T. The emotion in each moment of the movie is equal to the book. Suzanne knew how to translate the book to the big screen with the same emotions and better tan we could imagine. The film don't take away anything of the book, all is there. It was so exciting and the actors do their roleplays so excellent. You can feel all the feelings in just one movie.
  87. Nov 24, 2013
    Seen the movie twice already. I loved it so much mainly because it lives up to the book a lot. I also enjoyed that it was three hours long, expected it to be much shorter. Anyways, the movie was AMAZING, totally worth watching!
  88. Nov 23, 2013
    Now this is what a book-to-film adaptation is supposed to be like. Catching Fire might be the best interpreted example I've ever seen. The director, Francis Lawrence, seemed to really understand that books, unlike the previous director, Gary Ross, who seemed to miss some key symbolism. Lawrence cuts certain elements from the books, as well as some scenes and characters entirely, but he doesn't miss almost any key sequences that give meaning to the story. The only thing I wish he would've made more like the book was Katniss Everdeen's interaction with Plutarch Heavensbee. In the book, there was a tiny bit of foreshadowing that I would've liked to see in the film. But that's it. That's the only thing in the entire book that was left out that should've potentially been included. That just amazes me how on point they were here. The increased budget also showed. The effects were better, as was the acting. Obviously Jennifer Lawrence is an amazing actress but the rest of the cast also did remarkably well (Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Woody Harrelson, Jena Malone, Lenny Kravitz, etc.). Bottom line, regardless of whether or not you read the books, this movie stands alone as an outstanding viewing experience. I can't wait to see how they portray the third book. Expand
  89. Nov 23, 2013
  90. Nov 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When the first movie came out, I knew they would overhype them, and I didn't come out of the movie impressed, but neither was I disappointed. For this movie, I expected it to be about the same or less, as the 2nd book was my least favorite of the two.

Boy, was I wrong!

Things aren't well in the world of Katniss. She just wants to live, and that's about it. As a result, she never thinks about the significance of the actions that she makes. As a result, she now finds herself as the face of rebellion, and President Snow is none too happy. She must now act for the Capital or watch everyone she loves die because of her actions in the first movie.

The movie does a magnificent job of showing how oblivious Katniss was to the problem's she created. Jennifer Lawrence did an excellent job showing how aloof Katniss wanted to be in this whole affair as she slips into insanity. As Katniss comes to realize how shallow and pathetic is, she begins to realize how important Peeta is just like the books. The other character's in the cast developed appropriately, showing how Katniss' actions have changed their lives and shows the cruelty of the Capital and it's extravagances much better than the first movie.

The weakest part of the 2nd book, the Victory Tour wasn't rushed over, and that came to be a good thing. It allowed them to really emphasis the fact that her train ride is never ending, and that she will always suffer for her actions.

Surprisingly, the movie was quite funny as well. Caesar's infectious laugh had me going every time, and the nonchalance of the Capital culture to their own cruelty in their gaudy culture was emphasized more than the first, which made the situation of Katniss and her loved ones more significant.

The arena was very well done, and really helped give life to some things that I couldn't do with the arena she was left in. The movie did a better job, in my opinion, of grasping the tension in the arena that the book did.

All in all, an excellent movie and better than the first.
  91. Nov 23, 2013
    I don't believe that a sequel will be much better and highly enjoyable than its predecessor. Here on this film, all of the elements of the film cinematography, acting skills, plot, and imagine the dramatic violence have been upgraded superbly. This is the trilogy that will make you hungry to watch all of its movies even when you are busy.

Katniss Everdeen known as the famous star,
    Jennifer Lawrence has come up to the stage again for her strong and unique performance along with Peeta Melark, known as Josh Hutcherson which is now more brave and unusual compare to the last film. They fight against the evil Capitol which is ruled by President Snow main antagonist because of the events of the last film.

Hunger Games Catching Fire not only provides more of the 3D and visual effects but also the film manages to introduce the characters one by one which makes it more of a straight line. And add up the thrilling scenes. Here the experience of thrill just been more of a horror than ever before.

Hunger Games Catching Fire is really a very good and possibly one of the best films on this year. So I highly recommend everyone to watch it. It really saves your money when you watch it on theatre and preferably on 3D. For those who didn't like the Hunger Games (the predecessor) pretty much, well this sequel will definitely transformed you into a fan of the trilogy.

The Hunger Games Catching Fire Rating 10 10
    Compared to -
    The Hunger Games (the predecessor) Rating 8 10
  92. Nov 23, 2013
    The movie rekindled my faith in book to movie film adaptations. The first movie of the series is nowhere near as incredible as this installment. It grasped my soul and left me begging. This is entertainment at its finest.
  93. Nov 23, 2013
    With the sequel being more matured than its first movie as it explores deeper on the theme of the whole franchise and also providing more thrilling edge of your seat action, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire will lead both fans and viewers wanting more.
  94. Nov 23, 2013
    "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" is absolutely fantastic. It's brilliantly acted, powerful, emotional and much more ferociously intense than the first. The directing is smooth, more thought-provoking than the first, and is very faithful to the book. Anyone who loved the first cannot miss out this excellent sequel.
  95. Nov 22, 2013
    Catching Fire is a massive improvement over The Hunger Games in every way. It is shot and directed better on the whole, the action is clearer and the acting is much improved. The Spectacular Now is my favorite movie of the year, but this is a damn close second and still a 10.
  96. Nov 22, 2013
    This is a fantastic film even better than the first. The dark tones mixed with the perfect amount of humor mixed with top notch acting makes this one of the best films of the year. A
  97. Nov 22, 2013
    Amazing film, and I can't wait to see it again! The fact that it follows the book fairly well is a huge two thumbs up! Nothing is worse than a film based on a book that doesn't follow the book at all. So again I repeat, I truly enjoyed this film.
  98. Nov 22, 2013
    Bigger and better than the first film of the franchise, Catching Fire fixes the mistakes made by its predecessor, doing justice to the source novel. As always, Jennifer Lawrence outshines every other member of the talented cast.
  99. Nov 22, 2013
    "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" picks up exactly where the last film left off, continuing the sparks of rebellion. This film takes everything that was great about the first film and makes it significantly better. The characters are more defined, the special effects are better, the score is more bombastic, writing is stronger, and the overall feel is grander. The themes of hope that lurks in the series are exemplified even further as the stakes are higher and the amount of freedom is slowly withering away.

Directing is really the main highlight of this film. The new director, Francis Lawrence, keeps the overall feel of the series, but brings greater control and precise attention to detail to the onscreen action and drama. The action is easier to see and choreographed really well. Interesting shots are used to cover up the grotesque level of violence, but they are no less impactful than actually seeing it. The use of a much steadier camera really makes taking in everything easier. The level of emotion is effectively presented on screen and the use of music excels everything to a more heart touching level. Even though the film is more emotional, it still manages to have some moments of humor spread throughout. The script is tight and really develops these characters that we’ve grown to love. While the social commentary on reality television is on the lacking side, the themes of hope, freedom, trust, and unity are far more assessed.

While many of the older characters return, there are many new ones introduced. First things first, Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen is still one of my favorite characters of all time and I love her here as much as I did before. However, she doesn’t grow as a character as much this time around. She’s more struggling with her inner demons as she tries to find herself at the helms of this new revolution that is around the corner. Peeta on the other hand, grows a lot. He’s more confident and less dependent on Katniss. He can hold his own and even takes the initiative a few times. Effie even goes through some character growth as we see her love for her tributes. Woody Harrelson as Haymitch is still the wise cracking drunk, but has become more generous and caring. While our returning characters are great, the newer additions are just as awesome. The two standouts for me are Finnick and Johanna. Finnick is not only a great looking guy, but has a heart of gold. He seems vain with ulterior motives, but he proves himself to be caring and protective. Johanna is a total bad girl. She’s really in your face, a bit psychotic, and a powerful warrior. However, she can even manage to be funny. All the characters are great including the additions of the new ones. They all get good screen time and development and we can really care for them, unlike the first film where the side characters took a seat to the more interesting Katniss.

Overall “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” is a great follow up to “The Hunger Games.” Everything is better from directing to writing to the use of music. It really expands on the universe and sets itself up for the next two films. The stakes are higher and there are a lot more to care about. I give it 4.5/5, a great sequel that builds up on the original to deliver a really great cinematic experience.
  100. Nov 22, 2013
    My God, this movie was absolutely amazing. The first movie was pretty good, but it was a masterpiece. Catching Fire, on the other hand, tops it almost every way. Acting was excellent, story was really good, music, visuals, makeup all of it. When I read the book I though the first half outside the games was good but not great. But they made it a whole lot more interesting in this adaption. One of the few films, where I think the movie was better. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Nov 25, 2013
    Yet, despite the good acting, the middle section of the film, set at the Capitol, is attenuated and rhythmless — the filmmakers seem to be touching all the bases so that the trilogy’s readers won’t miss anything.
  2. Reviewed by: Susan Wloszczyna
    Nov 22, 2013
    With each on-screen chapter, the poor girl from District 12 continues to fulfill her destiny as an inspiration and a rebel fighter. She is but one female, but she's the perfect antidote to the surplus of male superheroes out there.
  3. Reviewed by: Ian Buckwalter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Everything that felt clumsy in The Hunger Games has been improved upon here. That's most apparent in the clarity of the action, but it also extends to how efficiently the film establishes so many new ensemble members.