7.1

1. Mar 7, 2014
    Please for anyone watching this move it is not at all accurate. EOD rarely disarms bombs as it is too dangerous. NCO's don't punch superiors in the face, you certainly would never find a SFC getting hammered drunk or sneaking off the fob by himself to interrogate someone, it is simply false. These are huge falsehoods that completely turn the move into 100% fiction beyond the fact that the war in Iraq actually happened. These would be the kinds of stories you would hear from an EOD private who was in the Green Zone for 12 months. Anyone else who ever set foot in the middle east can tell you what a complete load of BS this movie really is.

People may think that even an inaccurate war movie is better than none but that is simply not the case. This movie is an insult to everyone who spent even one second in Iraq and I am still amazed that it actually won an Oscar. That is just a travesty.
  2. Jan 30, 2014
    ''Excellent.'' ''Brilliant!'' ''Full of Suspense and Intensity.'' '' An Absolute Knockout! The first 12 mins will mess-up your life. One of the Best Films of the decade. The Best Action film I've seen in year's. The Actors are winning. The Film editing is brilliant. The Best Action-'Thriller ever made! Renner, Mackie and Gerahty were Terrific.
  3. Jan 7, 2014
    Usually I don't really enjoy war films, but this one is fantastic. I've never seen a movie of this genre which is as genuine and gripping as "The Hurt Locker" with stunning actors and a touching story. Kathryn Bigelow's film leaves me stoked behind.
  4. Jan 1, 2014
    Jeremy Renner is great in his role, but for me the film didn't live up to my expectations due to its length and not having as much action as the trailer showed.
  5. Dec 23, 2013
    Though it seems its inaccuracy and marketing hooks have struck a chord with a few, I found The Hurt Locker to be an enjoyable film. Ironically, it gives you a nice break from the typical explosion-after-explosion-war-action flick despite it focusing on EOD, with a slower pace and likable characters. It holds just enough tension without crossing over into tedium, and uses it to its advantage to progress the story. Expand
  6. Nov 16, 2013
    The Hurt Locker is spectacularly suspenseful.
    The movie is filled with good acting especially from Jeremy Renner and good directing. The story is exceptionally well written, and despite being a little slow, the Hurt Locker still achieves success.
  7. Nov 6, 2013
    Entertaining, yet not anywhere near to reality. You wouldn't go off base by yourself without your gear. You wouldn't do half of the things they they did in this movie.

And action movie this is, an accurate one it is not. The portrayal of pstd was abysmal at best, and they way they wrote it off was sickening.
  8. Nov 4, 2013
    Personally, I don't feel that "The Hurt Locker" deserved all those Oscar awards and that it's slightly overrated but I don't deny that it's a really damn good film. It's tense, complex, violent and action-packed. The story is well planned and written and the acting is fabulous.
  9. Sep 2, 2013
    This movie works only because it appears so real, it's the source of the suspense, the action, the atmosphere, characters, plot... etc. This is also why it fails. While it may be more accurate than many other war movies, this one was built on realism. However an informed viewer will note that the movie does not portray well the soldiers' lives and the Iraq war. Many bomb squad members said so themselves, including the ones that were interviewed by the movie makers. All the portrayed military operations are inaccurate. This movie is a lie. However can it still be viewed as a regular war action movie? I'm afraid not. Without the sense of reality the movie loses all interest. To conclude, not only does this movie fail at what it sells for, which is a close enough portrayal of wartime, it also fails as an action movie. The only praise I can give is the amazing work achieved by the actors. You will enjoy this movie though if you do not know much about the Iraq war, like most Americans unfortunately. Expand
  10. Jul 31, 2013
    It was honestly nothing more than ok. The acting was really good and the directing was good, but at the end of the day, I'm not entirely sure what the plot was (yes, he disarms bombs, but it leads to nothing), which is an obvious turn off and it's honestly really slow at times. Unsure how this won an Oscar.
  11. Jul 5, 2013
    It is certainly an attention grabber the moment the movie begins, but then it seems to just be repeating the same sequences over and over until it is a little boring. Editing was great along with the script. Overpraised, but it still a good movie that has a lot of great qualities.
  12. Jul 1, 2013
    Listen to our full review of this movie and others that are beloved by critics, Critically Acclaimed, Publicly Reviewed on itunes.
  13. Jun 9, 2013
    I really didn't like this movie. it obviously didn't deserve an Oscar as Avatar was nominated this year...
    What is the point of that movie? War is great? America f**k yeah? I dont know but I think 94/100 is too much as well as 7.1/10 I watched that film with good friends and all of them didn't like it. It was truly unacceptable as a movie. Thumbs down
  14. May 19, 2013
    Despite the high degree i gave to the film, but the film was a disappointment, think it's not worth to win the Oscar for best film, there are no any surprises in the film at all, and there are some stupid behaviors of the film main character Jeremy Renner and also the film pictures the Iraqi people are very weak and I am an Iraqi I do not deny that, but say it was exaggerated, but what I liked most in the film is the realism in the presentation of the facts, And location of the filming that is very similar to the Iraqi environment despite the fact that the film images in Jordan Expand
  15. Apr 25, 2013
    This is a movie about bombs. Lots of bombs. Desert bombs. The End. That's pretty much it. Oh sure, a few other things happened. You wanna hear about 'em? OK. I'll provide you with a little more, oh faithful reader. I'm still not sure what the title The Hurt Locker refers to. It's not about well-secured first aid kits, nor is it about gymnasium facilities for actors William, John, or even Mary Beth.

This celluloid endeavor was directed by Kathryn Bigelow; the deft hand behind such legendary screen classics as Point Break and Blue Steel. It stars Jeremy Renner as Staff Sergeant William James, an expert at diffusing bombs. Joining him on the Explosivity Disposaling Unit are Sergeant JT Sanborn (Anthony Mackie), and Owen Eldrige (Brian Geraghty)

Renner has been nominated for an Academy Award for his performance. I'm not sure why this is. The supporting performances most notably Mackie's were, in my opinion, superior. All Renner did was act "cool". Oh, so "cool". Desert "cool". But if looking "cool" is the only criterion used for award recognition, then David Caruso should be nominated for a Nobel Prize.

The film centers mostly on the antics of Sergeant James. James loves dismantling things that can blow you into a zillion pieces. He'd rather do that than live a peaceful life in a nice home with his beautiful wife. We're shown some of his domestic life, but the movie doesn't show the good stuff. No. Instead we see him cleaning out the eavestrough of his house.

Now I've cleaned out a few roof gutters in my time, but the one depicted here has to be the gunkiest gutter in the history of home maintenance. And he's cleaning it out with his bare hand!!! C'mon, use a scoop, or a trowel, or a toy shovel, a stick, a shoe, anything. I'd rather diffuse bombs in Iraq than have to clean out that gutter in that fashion.

Another scene worth mentioning shows the guys after getting a little snockered engaging in an activity where good judgment and mental acuity would be a distinct disadvantage. The "game" involves taking turns hitting each other as hard as possible in the stomach. My wife, while watching this powerful and touching scene, turned to me and asked, "Why do men do those kind of things?"

You know, we men just have to chuckle when women ask us such questions. It was obvious to me, but I patiently explained it to her that this was a gesture of endearment. Women hug. Men try to smash the bejabers out of each other. It's their way of saying, "You're OK in my book." And nothing says it better than a ruptured spleen.

A word of warning here to those prone to seasickness: the camerawork in this film is of that hand-held style that so many directors are wont to use these days. I suppose they feel it gives their movies that gritty, realistic, documentary look which is ironic, since documentary filmmakers rarely use the technique anymore. Besides, if it's supposed to look realistic, then why don't I see the real world that way through my eyes? Although if I did, I'd be making an appointment and pronto with an ophthalmologist or a brain surgeon.

If you have a tough time watching this film due to that camera style, then avoid The Bourne Ultimatum at all costs. You would not survive. Its visuals are worse than any bone-jarring experience you could imagine

I once took a ride on a gigantically tall roller coaster. Its peak disappeared into the clouds. It was called the Red Ripper, or the Brown Streak, or the Green Puker something like that. Anyway, all I know is that I was smiling after that ride. I wasn't smiling after The Bourne Ultimatum.

In closing, I should say that even though I had some reservations about renting the DVD of The Hurt Locker, I was able to take something positive from it a lesson.

The lesson learned is, pay attention to your reservations.
  16. Feb 12, 2013
    all my EOD friends thing this movie is the best comedy scifi they've ever seen. complete garbage, oscar winning my ass. I know people complain that it's a movie not a documentry, but come on you have to stick to reality at least a little bit. the scene where he pulls all those heavy artillary pieces out of the ground by the det cord and blasting caps... come on was he superman? each one of those wieghs at least 50 pounds. This movie was "based" off of a soldiers EOD experience, if he had done half of what he said he did in the movie he'd still be jail. this is just another movie made to get an Oscar, nothing more Expand
  17. Feb 8, 2013
    At its best, Hurt Locker totally captivates the feeling of being there alongside Jeremy Renner and defusing the bomb rigged to explode. But sadly if you look past it's peaks moments, you find confusing scenes and poor acting. As an European, Hurt Locker doesn't really give you that much content or make you attached to the characters. I had absolutely no feelings towards Sergeant James (Jeremy Renner) and his crew, and because of this the tension about the bomb exploding or not was weak. It doesn't help at all that the characters have almost no background, especially the lead character was left blank. There are some great scenes like the sniping on the desert and defusing of the car bomb. but to balance it out there are some odd ones like the scene in which they have a drunken brawl in the barracks. Also the plot is a confusing mess of highlights, that doesn't seem to start or end. The shots are beautiful and sharp, and the scenes are very real-like. A lot of the credit for the movies success goes to the film editing and cinematography departments. Somehow i still feel the movie is widely overrated, and doesn't really bring anything new or make the existing better. I think this is a national matter and Americans do enjoy this film more than us Europeans do, the subject of Iraq war is somehow reluctant to us, and bonding with the EOD-squad in two hours is very hard. Expand
  18. Jan 21, 2013
    A well crafted, well acted, tense war movie. The book ends of this movie are about as entertaining as a film can be. My problem with this movie comes in the middle third. There are some things at play here that took me out of the film completely and seem very out of place with the rest of the movie. Overall this is a very strong film.
  19. Jan 20, 2013
    This is a very good movie about the Iraq war. I like Jeremy Renner a lot. the cast is very good and the story is awesome. I like this movie a lot. Best movie of 2009
  20. Jan 20, 2013
    "The Hurt Locker" is, at times, very gritty and gripping entertainment. Clearly, it caught the imagination of the Hollywood Limousine Liberal reviewing establishment, who gave it very high marks and ceded it a number of significant awards. But how good is the movie? Not really that good. In particular, the movie presents a very destructive and inaccurate portrayal of what soldiers are really like. Nobody as reckless and irresponsible as the main character would last ten minutes in a special weapons unit of any kind, let alone one involved in demolition work. The fact that so many Hollywood reviewers accepted such a ridiculously inaccurate portrayal establishes that this kind of portrayal is currently Politically Correct. It is what Hollywood wants to believe soldiers are really like. A true work of art worthy of a best picture award would find the incredible drama present in the lives of our soldiers' *as they truly live them*. Besides being inaccurate, the movie is also, in places, simply distasteful. In constructing my final rating, I penalized it on that score. Expand
  21. Jan 16, 2013
    Overrated movie, with unrealistic characters and no real story. Too much stupid Bravado and machismo. I am reviewing this because Zero Dark Thirty is out and while Katherine Bigelow is sexy, she only got to be a director, because she was married To James Cameron. Nepotism. I have no interest in seeing more fictional US military drama. I'll pass. Hurt locker was not that good.
  22. Jan 5, 2013
    In a few short moments...everything will change, in this instance, for all war films to come.
    The Hurt Locker clutched to this notion and never wained it's grasp through every 130+ minutes of this movie.
    Within minutes of this dramatic realisation beginning, my heart is beating to the point of me believing "I could just reach over and let Guy Pearce know whats going on", my point to this
    is that director Kathryn Bigelow (Point break) has created this epic yet simple, unprecedented, sometimes frightening, drama/war film that shows then relatively unknown actors, portraying just more numbers on a document sent on 365 day rotation in Iraq, in particular an EOD squad, just what can happen in a regular day in war.
    This film deals with the emotional barriers that soldiers face in the line of duty, the difficulties of 'routine' life but most of all, it deals with everlasting effect of what being a soldier does to not just your physical well-being, but your mind.
    After an explosive opening, we see Sergeant First Class William James (Jeremy Renner), team leader of the specialised EOD unit also consisting of Sergeant Sandborn (Anthony Mackie) and Specialist Owen Eldridge (Brian Geraghty). The two soldiers see their leader as a reckless redneck due to his lack of safety and disregard for the rules when it comes to a POA on disposing bombs.
    Jeremy Renner carries this film to greater heights than one could possibly have hoped for. As the film progresses we watch the team unravel and get an insight into the day to day activities, or lives of these embedded heroes, a dramatisation, yes, but one so close to the heart it could throw a juggernaut suit on you and take the dreaded steps in the searing sun.
    I can't say much more because a film like this needs to be seen and not read about, a masterpiece in every aspect, beautiful, frightening, realism taken to new heights and pushing boundaries like no other, easily in contention for one of the best films in the past decade.
  23. Dec 11, 2012
    I realize this review is coming a little late but I see the same director is now birthing another one of her 'realistic' films about war (Zero Dark Thirty). I love hard hitting action films as much as I HATE political propaganda and that is what the Hurt Locker is. I was completely bored with the "crazy-American-cowboy standing-alone -against-all-the-whimps" theme. Maybe this film director/writer should join up and see what a real war feels like. Expand
  24. Nov 12, 2012
    Oh my God! One of the most perfect movies I've ever known. You could probably split this thing in half, and make two great works of cinema. There is so much suspense and drama packed into each and every beautifully shot scene that it almost calls forth the sweat on your brow. I ventured further onto the edge of my seat than I knew was humanly possible. When these soldiers are attempting to diffuse mysterious explosives, it almost feels like your well-being is in the balance as well. This long, exhilarating piece is just pumping at the edges with pounds upon pounds of heart-racing, pipe-bursting tension. The Hurt Locker is slow, punishing and weighs down upon you with a pressure that you don't want to stop. Masterful cinematography, directing, acting and vision. Everything is flawlessly clear both visually and intellectually. At no point did I find myself asking about the plot or wondering why something happened. It carries the mark of a great movie which is, you come close to forgetting that it is a movie at all. It becomes real. It leaves you utterly and hopelessly captivated. This was a film made with clarity, vigilance and purpose. So damn good I can't stand it. One for the ages. Expand
  25. Oct 25, 2012
    I personally think it's incredibly underrated by users. Hurt Locker was a well done film. It was interesting to watch, well acted, and manage to suck you in all at the same time. Definently worth watching imo.
  26. Oct 11, 2012
    : This movie told that war is a terrible place to live and when go in so deep in the war it becomes a drug and you don
  27. Aug 28, 2012
    The Hurt Locker is no ordinary war film. In fact, setting aside the iconography and setting of the Iraq war, it's scarcely a war film at all. Rather than making an explicit judgement about the Iraq War, the film instead shifts focus to people and relationships, and how a single moment can change your life forever, or suddenly end it. The best, and most thought provoking scene in the film is one of relative calm, when EOD Seargeant Will James (Jeremy Renner) is on leave from active duty, and looks simply lost while wandering down the cereal isle of an American supermarket. Renner is excellent as James, who is essentially an adrenaline junkie, an addict to thrills and near death experiences, and who is obsessed with getting his next fix. Anthony Mackie and Brian Geraghty also impress as James' squad-mates, a by-the-book straight man to James' impulsive maverick leader and a jittery and inexperienced young specialist respectively. Guy Pierce and Ralph Fiennes are good as always in minor but quite pivotal roles. The characters are layered and interesting, the expertly paced, sweat-inducing bomb disposal scenes smartly replace the standard running-and-gunning battles found in almost all other war films (there's only one straight gunfight, and even that is drawn-out and minimalistic) and Mark Boal's script is believable and dramatically affecting. I'm quite ashamed to admit that this is the only one of Kathryn Bigelow's films I've seen, but she's undeniably talented behind the camera, grounded and naturalistic in her style (other than using a little well-executed slow-motion for the biggest set pieces) and most pleasingly, unlike her ex-husband Mr Moneybags Cameron, she doesn't yet appear to have been consumed by her own hype. The Hurt Locker is a masterful piece of dramatic storytelling, an excellent analysis of the driving forces of humanity, and one of the cleverest examinations of the impact of war to ever grace the silver screen. It's a crime that no woman before Bigelow has won the Best Picture Academy Award, but The Hurt Locker sets a fine example as the first film to break this trend, and it didn't need in excess of $200,000,000 to do it. Expand
  28. Aug 25, 2012
    Finally a war film about the middle east that doesn't try to be too intelligent yet is seemingly aimed at intelligent people. A wonderful film which was hands down better than Avatar though I did think that other films were overlooked for Best Picture. Jeremy Renner evolved in this film from supporting actor in an action film to a fantastic lead in a serious film. This was a huge turning point within his career. Expand
  29. Aug 16, 2012
    I found myself liking the first half of the film a lot, but when the film hits the unnecessarily long sniper sequence, it all starts to go down hill. I never really found the 2nd half to be as compelling as the first half, and I started to care less and less with where the plot was going. In the end, The Hurt Locker is a decent, but severely over-rated movie.
  30. Aug 3, 2012
    An intelligent movie that intrigues and excites. It is dramatic, tense and the odd bit humorous. This is one of the few films that I would actually call a masterpiece
  31. Aug 1, 2012
    This is a great movie and one of the best war films I ever watched. The only thing that I didn't like was the use of the shaky camera, but it doesn't really distract from actually telling the story. Personally, I just don't like shaky camera but most of the time it was used in this film was from the main characters' perspective (you got a glimpse of what they saw). When I actually did see the shaky camera it didn't really physically make me nauseated but it did annoyed me. Expand
  32. Jul 4, 2012
    Great movie! Unlike other war movies about recent conflicts such as Jarhead, this movie is actually entertaining, with some of the best tension filled scenes you will see. And the performance by Jeremy Renner in the lead role is fantastic. I understand that many parts of the movie are "unrealistic", as many people have complained about, but 100% of fictional movies are unrealistic. They have spice up aspects of life to make the film entertaining. I don't believe they mean any disrespect to those in uniform. They're merely trying to make the movie entertaining for the audience. But I understand this is a sensitive subject. Expand
  33. Jun 12, 2012
    Good to see a war movie that is not all about shootouts and gunfire but it's not the best war movie by a long shot. The acting and directing is good and it held my interest but that's about it.
  34. Jun 10, 2012
    I dont know WHAT have everyone found in this movie.Absolutely NO realism , horrible stroy about the stupid war done by American politiciand only for their own joy.Even the soldiers of US army laugh at it. You can call me stupid or something but i think - the only reason this film has got the Oscar - is because the women.You know what i am talking about.
    P.S I didnt want to hurt anyones
    feeling with my report - sorry if i did. Expand
  35. Jun 8, 2012
    This is an excellent example of the politics of movie making. It's been said that this movie will demonstrate how the war in Iraq is remembered. This upsets me due to the lack of realism. Most noticeably, the fact that three soldiers do not run into the darkness alone to chase something that they may have seen. Nor did we risk soldiers to defuse bombs past the first months. Further, it's a rip off of the Lethal Weapon prototype. Unstable white guy paired with veteran black guy and they have over the top adventure. But the real insult? From the accounts of multiple vets, I have been told that District 9 was more realistic as far as reminding them of combat situations. Expand
  36. May 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I certainly did enjoy this movie. Characters were more likeable than I thought. However, I felt the plot involving the Beckham kid wasn't resolved, and that still bugs me. Expand
  37. May 8, 2012
    Entirely typical wartime propaganda that actually very forcefully tries to paint the citizens of the country being attacked and exploited as the bad guys. Absolutely vile.
  38. Apr 2, 2012
    It's a great movie very good story the only part I didn't like is when he sees bekham again after he thinks he's dead and he disses him??? WTF?? All he wants is to do is play some soccer and he disses him? Really??? I really hated that scene and for that I give it an 8 but overall good movie way better than jarhead tho.
  39. Apr 2, 2012
    First off, this is a 9.75 out of 10. Near perfect. Acting is really good. Everyone give a really good job. Score is really good. Story is really great and is also intense. It's a great war tale of the US bomb squad. Plus some scenes in the movie can be so intense that'll it'll keep you guessing what'll happen. Overall, this is a amazing movie. One of the greatest war movies ever. Highly, highly recommended. Expand
  40. Mar 25, 2012
    The Hurter Locker might not be the best movie of the year but it certainly deserves more recongnition. A movie with such intense scenes and perfect editing that combines the drug of war within and on the ground.
  41. Feb 6, 2012
    Typically for the US. Don't get me wrong this is a really good movie. But the whole time I had the feeling this is a "come on and join the army - it's great here" movie. Sure there is violence and war and bad times and everything but the way it's shown to the audience is like a propaganda movie pro army - and that's what I ment by typically for the US. Hollywood can't produce movies without this sideeffect and that's a little bit annoying. It should be an anti-war movie but it's more like a pro-war movie. Beside that it's a really good movie! Expand
  42. Jan 27, 2012
    I am not quite sure what exactly Kathryn Bigelow is trying to accomplish here. She makes a good work by adding tension and realism in some scenes and film itself is well-shoted, but 'The Hurt Locker' spends too much time talking about, well, nothing.
  43. Jan 19, 2012
    I liked it. I thought the movie was original (which is rare these days) and well worth the watch. The acting was good, the movie was suspensful. The one flaw with it is that the climax wasnt satisfying. The entire film built up to this point that just totally let me down, Even to the point where it was a bit predictable. Still, It was a good film and worth the watch.

IMO - Definently
    more worthy than Avatar to win the oscar for best picture. Expand
  44. Jan 13, 2012
    This is a prime example of an over-hyped movie, that in all cases did not deserve an Academy Award. The plot is incoherent - each and every scene is pretty well executed and tense, but the story just drags for too long and just does not make sense as a whole. The acting was pretty good though - Renner's performance as an adrenaline addict was pretty remarkable. All in all not bad, but not very good either. Expand
  45. Jan 6, 2012
    A war movie with real complicated protagonists. Great tension, great action but great psychological intrigue too. War is a drug, and so is the movie
  46. Dec 31, 2011
    7 out of 10 by users as of December 2011, really? It deserves better than that! Sure, it is no Saving Private Ryan but it has a VERY intelligent plot involving bombs and the war sequences are entertaining. Besides, the reconnaissance scenes are very unfolding and suspenseful which is the most thrilling part of the movie.
  47. Dec 31, 2011
    This is a very good movie. I don't know why so many people are whining about the fact that this isn't realistic. It's a film, it's art, it's fiction, if you can't watch a movie without thinking it's ALL true, and it's all realistic, then you shouldn't watch any movie. Of course the protagonist takes risks which can not be the reality, but it's movie - use your imagination, this is made to entertain people, it's not a documentary, just enjoy it, don't think too much. Great acting by all actors - I believed the emotions, very well done - nice cinematography as well! Expand
  48. Dec 24, 2011
    This little Kathryn Bigelow box-office failure ended up proving that it was the little engine that could. It defied the odds: it was a Summer release that was under-viewed but somehow managed enough buzz to rightfully overtake the box-office behemoth "Avatar" at the Academy Awards and take Best Picture. It may not be a film for the actors, but it is a film for anybody who likes to be wowed by amazing sights and amazing direction. Expand
  49. Dec 6, 2011
    **** awesome movie. Enough said but since there is a 150 character min I mus say random **** Blahahahahah Dick fart lolololololololllllllllllllllllllllllgfgfgf
  50. Nov 18, 2011
    THE HURT LOCKER is an emotional, well-directed and well-acted war film that is quite well made.
  51. Nov 10, 2011
    The Hurt Locker is an energetic, pulverizing movie that really shows you what its like for the troops on the other side of the country, and, is supremely well acted. Go see the hurt locker while you can
  52. j30
    Oct 7, 2011
    If I had the choice between The Hurt Locker and Avatar winning Best Picture. I probably would have gone with this movie. I watched 60 minutes segment of the real bomb squads in Afghanistan and this movie was really accurate. The movie is really intense and has electrifying performances.
  53. Sep 10, 2011
    The movie's quiet tension adds realism to the movie, making it one of the true modern war films. However, the film's noticeably lethargic pace will make you bored. In the end, "The Hurt Locker" is just a decent movie that presents real life situations in modern warfare; no more, no less.
  54. Sep 7, 2011
    I seriously felt like shooting my self in the head...... over Americanised **** basically all hyped up trying to say Americans are the heroes even though they have killed more of their own than they have saved (SPASTICS) XD
  55. Aug 26, 2011
    One of the more over-praised movies in recent memory - really just another hyperkinetic mess from Kathryn Bigelow (one of the more over-praised directors working today). The main character is a cliche, the "loose-cannon" action hero, only in this case there is no explanation for his risk taking. Jeremy Renner plays the character with his typical lack of range or subtlety. The only interesting actor is Ralph Fiennes as the leader of a band of mercenaries, but he's only on screen for a few minutes. Altogether a waste of time. Expand
  56. Aug 14, 2011
    I watched this movie a long time ago, and i jut recently came back to this review because this movie was featured in the "biggest gap between critics and fans article" so i thought I should look into it because this movie was just fantastic, and I'm really disappointed as to why this movie was on that article. First things first, this movie is not a patriotic movie; this movie is there to show the dehumanizing effects warfare can have upon a person, so I don't know why people can call this a "flag-waving" film when it clearly shows a man practically abandoning his own child to re-immerse himself in warfare. Second, a lot of people complain about the "Sniping" scene as being too boring or just plain unrealistic; this is not Call of Duty, okay... When it comes to sniping in real life, it can take hours to kill a specified target, there is no killstreaks and no quickscoping and if staying in the hot sun all day means that the enemy won't snipe at you back, then that's the best option to take to make sure you get out of there alive (the only thing that seems unrealistic is how an IED Unit has great skill when it comes to using an M107, that evades even me, but that's not reason enough for me to call the whole scene unreal). In truth, this is one of the greater military movies that I have ever seen (It defiantly stacks up mo movies like Apocalypse Now and Platoon, not saying its better, that's up to you, the viewers) and this movie didn't deserve to be in the previously mentioned article just because its not CoD-leveled action or just cause it doesn't have explosions every single microsecond. Definitely a movie worth watching (if you haven't already) if you are into the classical Vietnam-era films, you won't be disappointed. Expand
  57. Aug 12, 2011
    I went into this movie expecting Black Hawk Down but I wasn't disappointed when i didn't get it, instead i really enjoyed the slow paced yet interesting story. Critics enjoyed this movie for a reason, they are professionals who have studied hard in the field of film, they know what they're talking about.
  58. Jul 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first time I saw the trailer of the movie, I thought it would´ve been an interesting one. I was wrong. It started OK but from there on it was totally boring. Critics applaud the film for the "suspense" in it and the performance by Jeremy Renner and its photography and storyline. What storyline? The film features a lot of "tense ful" bomb defusing moments or in other words, "suspenseful" situations one after another that, really, lead to no conclusion. The guy easily defuses the bombs with almost no problems. A rookie soldier would've made those scenes a little bit more tense...maybe. The characters were forgettable. There is no character development in the film. The scene where James is trying to "find out" who killed the little Beckham also has no conclusion because he just randomly went to the house of this professor and asked what happened to the boy and moments later he goes back to his base. Also that night, the bomb squad heads to this place where, yes you guessed it, another bomb has blown. And the three are in pursue of the responsibles for that bomb. In the end, one of them gets shot and no one is captured. Bottom line, the film's about suspense situation after suspense situation that lead to no conclusion. A great film is one that introduces new artistic ways for filmmaking, a good story, which this film does not have, good character development and a good screenplay and the list goes on and on. The Hurt Locker has nothing of those. Expand
  59. Jun 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Some cool moments (like the sniping, didn't make any sense that a guy who disarms bombs knows how to spot and snipe guys makes no sense, to their own expertise or the story-line) but the plot and characters, especially the main character ticked me off. The black guy constantly trying to kill the main character was the breaking point for me. We need to support our troops not act like every CO is a bastard with his men trying to kill him. The unpatriotic views makes me sick. The and the fact it has gotten great critic reviews is slander. One of the worst war movies I have ever seen. Expand
  60. Jun 4, 2011
    This is a great set up for what could be a killer war movie. But it isnâ
  61. May 24, 2011
    This is a great picture that is able to capture a tense moment on film. There will be a great deal of intensity that will place you on the end of your seat. This is the best war movie of the decade.
  62. Apr 30, 2011
    I did not care about watching this movie, yet having seen it I can agree that it is a great action film. The Hurt Locker creates a great amount of tension in many of its scenes, and it is a very exciting film. The acting is brilliant, particularly that of the lead, which contributes to the story's believability. In different times it probably wouldn't have won an oscar, but ultimately whether it did or did not is irrelevant. The Hurt Locker is more than worthy of watching and very entertaining. Expand
  63. Apr 26, 2011
    Full patriotism without good history.
    The direction very slowly and with clear focus on the heroic nonexistent.
    Not deserve any award.
    It is understandable that did not win any other competition except the American: Oscar.
  64. Mar 29, 2011
    This is a great movie, the film captures the real emotion of being and war- People have empathy during this movie, you can feel the bullets. It is one of the best movies of the decade. It's sad if you can't handle violence but you wanted to see it. It was one of my favorites
  65. Mar 26, 2011
    I was extremely disappointed with this movie, the story is boring and the characters are impossible to like, there was only one good part and it was extremely short and had all of the movie been like that moment it would have been fantastic, but instead it's a bad movie that isn't enjoyable.
  66. Mar 15, 2011
    Hurt Locker was very good. The acting was really fine, the plot moved along and it exceeded my expectations. There was a nice sense of humor within the continued suspense. The connection between the protagonist and the boy selling DVDs humanized the already very human story.
  67. Mar 8, 2011
    That people are giving this movie a ten, and that it won an Oscar shows just how desperately out of touch Americans are. Gross inaccuracies aside, and this movie is riven with them, the fact that this director had so much going for her in terms of the innate interest stories like this generate, and the timeliness of its release, and she blew it so completely, is very telling. It tells of incompetence, and indifference to the people she pretends to care for and about. If she really cared, then the amateur to the stark errors she makes in this movie would have been removed, and she would have gotten at least some things right. Otherwise you're just out to make a name for yourself, and f*** you for that. Expand
  68. Mar 5, 2011
    This is the most overrated film of last decade in my opinion. How did this win best picture? Sure, the movie gets the intensity of the Iraq war on screen in a good fashion, but with awkward pacing, boring situations, and most importantly, a nonexistent story, The Hurt Locker really is "Hurt" by many of its flaws.
  69. Feb 18, 2011
    Unconventional war film - Kathryn Bigelows independent film puts all politics aside and portrays the genre of war film in a fresh and different way.

During the post-invasion period in Iraq 2004, bomb disarmer Will James Arrives at the American EOD unit company Bravo which is located in the midst of an explosive conflict in Baghdad as the new team leader. Seargent J.T Sanborn and
    specialist Owen Eldridge are not overly enthusiastic about the new leader which they are going to spend the next 38 days with, and their willingness to give him the benefit of the doubt is diminished when James early on shows himself of as a headstrong and hazardous danger seeker who fearlessly enters the line of fire to disarm bombs while they have to stand as frightened bystanders in the background. "The Hurt Locker" is directed by Kathryn Bigelow "Point Break" (1991) and "Strange Days" (1995), and is based on the observations of freelance writer Mark Boal "In the valley of Elah" (2007), who was embedded with a US bomb-squad during the Iraq war. In a minimalistic and documentaric way it describes the relationship between three soldiers and their individual ways of coping with life in a war zone where death is always breathing down their necks. With hand-held camera movements, extreme close ups, slow-motion scenes, long takes and extreme long shots, Kathryn Bigelow creates a knife-edged intensity and a grayed realism which is remarkable. Her intimate and continuous focus on the three main characters creates a compressed narrative which strengthens the viewers empathy.

"The Hurt Locker" is a film about young men who voluntarily enlist to serve in Iraq well aware that the risk of dying is immense. It asks no questions about why they choose this kind of job, but rather focuses on how they deal with life in an uncontrollable death zone and how this affects their mentality. Even though this is a war movie at first hand, it's also a pulsating action thriller, a psychological drama and a concentrated character study about three men, their rivalry and their evolving friendship. The acting is captivating, but Jeremy Renner stands out as adrenalin rush-seeker Will James in an impressive role interpretation. "The Hurt Locker" is one of the first films to recognize the bomb disarmers and to depict war as something addictive. This an unconventional war film with brilliant war scenes, skilled photography and convincing milieu depictions.
  70. Feb 4, 2011
    this movie is a disgrace to the armed forces and has debased the Academy Awards by winning the Oscar for best movie. If you like cowboy movies, you'll recognise the characters but feel let down by pretty much everything else.
  71. Jan 29, 2011
    the worst movie I've seen.... is not about war.... is about American idea of hero... Its boring and don't have argument ... I can't understand how this movie won an oscar
  72. Jan 25, 2011
    Certainly one of the most emotional movies I have ever watched. I was completely immersed in the characters and story line. I was left both breathless and aching for more. I was still thinking about it months later. Can any film expect more than that?
  73. Jan 24, 2011
    Meh, I'm just gonna cut the **** this is one horrible movie. The fact that it won best picture of the year just shows how hollywood is all biased and about politics and congress. Over the years, the oscars have become nothing but a pitiful embarrassing sham with incredibly ridiculous nominees and arrogant hosts. You might as well pin it next to the VGAs in how pathetic it is. It's plot? You've heard it before, some guy goes to iraq, shows the hardships of the war, some people die, comes back to america, goes back, done. Nothing of interest or originality at ALL in this movie. Hell there's not even a story. Best part of all is the stereotypical black guy as the tough militant, nothin against black people, but the way they always portray them as bad ass military guys in tight uniforms is laughable. Really it's just an advertisement for the american military and government. It has what the government wants. Portray the US as the good guy and Iraq as the bad guy. Make working for the military look bad ass with some sniper rifle scenes and you got yourself a subliminal message "join the military" and a good ol **** you to avatar. Expand
  74. Jan 16, 2011
    I think hand-held camera is a modern technique in nowadays cinema. Thiz movie was using a lot of those shaky-camera techniques. The picture painted by no specific tone. All we saw just what we saw through our naked eyes. I knew that maybe they just wanted to capture things as realistic as they could get. But is that effective? Personally for me, I do not like it at all. The conventional movie makers had been trying to brush their picture into some kind of atmosphere. There is the art. If we let everybody treats the movie like thiz. I think anyone could make thiz kind of movie as long as they had their expensive digital camera. The movie played by second-class Actors which the most proportion went to two characters (Jeremy Renner and Anthony Mackie). Their performances were adequate. The other Casts were: Brian Geraghthy, Guy Pearce, Ralph Fiennes, David Morse, etc. The story itself contains no main-plot. We are just watching case by case about what is happening. The only thing that I respect on thiz movie is how the action scenes go. Previous warfare movies relied on big battle scenes with Big Boom Bang, like we saw on SAVING PRIVATE RYAN (1998) and BLACK HAWK (2001). But thiz movie was using The Horror Formula (That was what I called). The scenes had been trying to create the tension by waiting something to happen next. Some of scenes were successfully pace our adrenaline. The movie directed by Kathryn Bigelow, The Director of POINT BREAK (1991) and K-19: THE WIDOWMAKER (2002). Overall, it is not a great warfare movie ever made compare to legendary APOCALYPSE NOW (1979) or FULL METAL JACKET (1987). Although I am fully support a woman Director to direct thiz kind of genre.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  75. Jan 15, 2011
    A masterpiece of cinema plain and simple. It's wonderfully crafted, perfectly paced, with incredibly tense sequences that would have made **** proud. It also deals with the effects of war on the human soul without ever being ham handed or melodramatic. Along with Saving Private Ryan and Letters From Iwo Jima it's the finest War film I have seen of the last 20 years.
  76. Jan 3, 2011
    Well deserved Oscars. Jeremy Renner's performance was memorably outstanding. I watched both HL and Avatar the week before the Oscars and I found this to be more engaging and thrilling than the flashing lights and sounds of Avatar. I'm not saying that Avatar wasn't a good movie but how many people actually saw HL before Avatar? 48 million to 2 billion box office gross (rounded down)
  77. Dec 13, 2010
    This movie gets a 2, reason being because CG effects were great and acting was as well. However, the cast didn't fit together also these little cameos by famous actors were just boring and pointless. This movie won a bunch of academy awards and I don't know how? Hollywood is just lame in giving awards sometimes. They just give them to look good and to either make people mad or happy. This movie just makes you feel like you should die or try to die as you keep watching or living out your life. Yeah you could watch it, but don't expect to feel anything after this boring anti-war movie. It's basically just about being obsessed and it's like who cares give me something with meaning, you're taking up my life's precious hours! Expand
  78. Dec 10, 2010
    Its a downward spiral with overated movies. Inception,Monsters. I cant help but think its the pitch and the hype that does it when the Emperor has no clothes. Lets say its 'Eagerly awaited, theirs 'Oscar Buzz' before it even comes out and without paying attention that the 'Buzz' is coming from the people who market the movie. I dont care who your are and how much you say you like this, I say your lying to yourself as its slow paced and boring (odd for a explosives movie) yet I argue with a mass of people who are eager for the new McMsg burger because someone on tv told them to. Expand
  79. Oct 2, 2010
    Direction is excellent the actors are perfect but the plot is a little weak. The director has done a perfect work also the main actor is absolutely perfect.
  80. Sep 3, 2010
    Realistic or not this is a great film. The plot was laid out in an organized fashion, no cliche twists that make the viewer feel smart. The characters were well written and are open to interpretation. The amount of small details and varied sequence of events makes an easily film to watch multiple times.
    But, don't expect an ACTION FILM. @ForrestL I could not agree more.
  81. Aug 27, 2010
    Easily the best movie made about the Iraq War, and one of the most memorable war movies I've seen in general. The director, Kathryn Bigelow, charges almost every scene with suspense and tension, producing action sequences more exhilarating and gripping than most high-budget blockbusters. Also, wtf with people complaining about the movie's real-life credibility? It's not like "Apocalypse Now" represented the Vietnam War as it was, it just tried to be a great movie, which it was and "The Hurt Locker" is the same. Expand
  82. Aug 21, 2010
    This movie is like a 4 day old pizza. Bland, run of the mill, and generally lucklustre. The fact that it scored the Oscar nod only confirms the suspicion that politics, rather than substance, is the name of the game when the red carpet is concerned.
    Non-existent character development, zero story arc, and cliched scripting make this a thoroughly forgettable movie.
    ...I'll add this to the
    growing list of movies that make me wanna jump behind the lens and avenge the egregious wrongdoings that have been leveled against a tired movie-going public. Expand
  83. Aug 19, 2010
    New man joins bomb disposal team in Iraq, day-to-day job of diffusing bombs & avoiding crossfire, camaraderie, conflict, decisions.
    Almost documentary/fly-on-the-wall style film that does a fantastic job of capturing the atmosphere, tension & overall danger of these soldiers lives.
    The acting & dialogue are very natural, great cameos, top-notch cinematography & the claustrophobia of the
    "bomb suit" scenes are thrilling & uncomfortable.
    Excellent incidental music too.
  84. Aug 18, 2010
    this movie is beast!!!!!!!!! all the negative reviewers suck. thats right mofos.... you suck!!!!! the best war movie that ive seen, and the greatest movie since shawshank!!!!! hell yea!!!!!
  85. Aug 16, 2010
    This film is vinegar. Low budget unknown cast with cameo appearance by Guy Pearce and Ralph Fiennes who's flippant delivery summed up this film and probably his pay check.Guy Pearce gets killed before the credits finish.
  86. Aug 11, 2010
    One of the most outstanding war movies this century. I am a surprised a woman could even direct something as good as this one. Some people should really think about it, because it is kind of true. I am sure some people jsut hate it just because it beat Avatar in the oscars

1. The result is an intense, action-driven war pic, a muscular, efficient standout that simultaneously conveys the feeling of combat from within as well as what it looks like on the ground.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    A near-perfect movie about men in war, men at work. Through sturdy imagery and violent action, it says that even Hell needs heroes.
  3. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    Boal's script stirs a little of everything into the pot, which boils down into seven setpieces divided by brief intervals of camaraderie/conflict among the three protags.