7.2

1. Mar 7, 2014
    Please for anyone watching this move it is not at all accurate. EOD rarely disarms bombs as it is too dangerous. NCO's don't punch superiors in the face, you certainly would never find a SFC getting hammered drunk or sneaking off the fob by himself to interrogate someone, it is simply false. These are huge falsehoods that completely turn the move into 100% fiction beyond the fact thatPlease for anyone watching this move it is not at all accurate. EOD rarely disarms bombs as it is too dangerous. NCO's don't punch superiors in the face, you certainly would never find a SFC getting hammered drunk or sneaking off the fob by himself to interrogate someone, it is simply false. These are huge falsehoods that completely turn the move into 100% fiction beyond the fact that the war in Iraq actually happened. These would be the kinds of stories you would hear from an EOD private who was in the Green Zone for 12 months. Anyone else who ever set foot in the middle east can tell you what a complete load of BS this movie really is.

People may think that even an inaccurate war movie is better than none but that is simply not the case. This movie is an insult to everyone who spent even one second in Iraq and I am still amazed that it actually won an Oscar. That is just a travesty.
  2. SGTK
    Aug 6, 2009
    this is the worst movie about iraq. its totally inaccurate. it maks EOD out to be some sort of Special Forces and they're NOT. the things they do in this awful movie are not what the do over here.
  3. Dec 10, 2010
    Its a downward spiral with overated movies. Inception,Monsters. I cant help but think its the pitch and the hype that does it when the Emperor has no clothes. Lets say its 'Eagerly awaited, theirs 'Oscar Buzz' before it even comes out and without paying attention that the 'Buzz' is coming from the people who market the movie. I dont care who your are and how much you say you like this, IIts a downward spiral with overated movies. Inception,Monsters. I cant help but think its the pitch and the hype that does it when the Emperor has no clothes. Lets say its 'Eagerly awaited, theirs 'Oscar Buzz' before it even comes out and without paying attention that the 'Buzz' is coming from the people who market the movie. I dont care who your are and how much you say you like this, I say your lying to yourself as its slow paced and boring (odd for a explosives movie) yet I argue with a mass of people who are eager for the new McMsg burger because someone on tv told them to. Expand
  4. Jun 10, 2012
    I dont know WHAT have everyone found in this movie.Absolutely NO realism , horrible stroy about the stupid war done by American politiciand only for their own joy.Even the soldiers of US army laugh at it. You can call me stupid or something but i think - the only reason this film has got the Oscar - is because the women.You know what i am talking about.
    P.S I didnt want to hurt anyones
    P.S I didnt want to hurt anyones feeling with my report - sorry if i did.
  5. Apr 25, 2013
    This is a movie about bombs. Lots of bombs. Desert bombs.

The End. That's pretty much it. Oh sure, a few other things happened. You wanna hear about 'em? OK. I'll provide you with a little more, oh faithful reader. I'm still not sure what the title The Hurt Locker refers to. It's not about well-secured first aid kits, nor is it about gymnasium facilities for actors William, John,
    This is a movie about bombs. Lots of bombs. Desert bombs.

The End.

I'm still not sure what the title The Hurt Locker refers to. It's not about well-secured first aid kits, nor is it about gymnasium facilities for actors William, John, or even Mary Beth.

This celluloid endeavor was directed by Kathryn Bigelow; the deft hand behind such legendary screen classics as Point Break and Blue Steel. It stars Jeremy Renner as Staff Sergeant William James, an expert at diffusing bombs. Joining him on the Explosivity Disposaling Unit are Sergeant JT Sanborn (Anthony Mackie), and Owen Eldrige (Brian Geraghty)

Renner has been nominated for an Academy Award for his performance. I'm not sure why this is. The supporting performances most notably Mackie's were, in my opinion, superior. All Renner did was act "cool". Oh, so "cool". Desert "cool". But if looking "cool" is the only criterion used for award recognition, then David Caruso should be nominated for a Nobel Prize.

The film centers mostly on the antics of Sergeant James. James loves dismantling things that can blow you into a zillion pieces. He'd rather do that than live a peaceful life in a nice home with his beautiful wife. We're shown some of his domestic life, but the movie doesn't show the good stuff. No. Instead we see him cleaning out the eavestrough of his house.

Now I've cleaned out a few roof gutters in my time, but the one depicted here has to be the gunkiest gutter in the history of home maintenance. And he's cleaning it out with his bare hand!!! C'mon, use a scoop, or a trowel, or a toy shovel, a stick, a shoe, anything. I'd rather diffuse bombs in Iraq than have to clean out that gutter in that fashion.

Another scene worth mentioning shows the guys after getting a little snockered engaging in an activity where good judgment and mental acuity would be a distinct disadvantage. The "game" involves taking turns hitting each other as hard as possible in the stomach. My wife, while watching this powerful and touching scene, turned to me and asked, "Why do men do those kind of things?"

You know, we men just have to chuckle when women ask us such questions. It was obvious to me, but I patiently explained it to her that this was a gesture of endearment. Women hug. Men try to smash the bejabers out of each other. It's their way of saying, "You're OK in my book." And nothing says it better than a ruptured spleen.

A word of warning here to those prone to seasickness: the camerawork in this film is of that hand-held style that so many directors are wont to use these days. I suppose they feel it gives their movies that gritty, realistic, documentary look which is ironic, since documentary filmmakers rarely use the technique anymore. Besides, if it's supposed to look realistic, then why don't I see the real world that way through my eyes? Although if I did, I'd be making an appointment and pronto with an ophthalmologist or a brain surgeon.

If you have a tough time watching this film due to that camera style, then avoid The Bourne Ultimatum at all costs. You would not survive. Its visuals are worse than any bone-jarring experience you could imagine

I once took a ride on a gigantically tall roller coaster. Its peak disappeared into the clouds. It was called the Red Ripper, or the Brown Streak, or the Green Puker something like that. Anyway, all I know is that I was smiling after that ride. I wasn't smiling after The Bourne Ultimatum.

In closing, I should say that even though I had some reservations about renting the DVD of The Hurt Locker, I was able to take something positive from it a lesson.

The lesson learned is, pay attention to your reservations.
  6. Jun 9, 2013
    I really didn't like this movie. it obviously didn't deserve an Oscar as Avatar was nominated this year...
    What is the point of that movie? War is great? America f**k yeah? I dont know but I think 94/100 is too much as well as 7.1/10 I watched that film with good friends and all of them didn't like it. It was truly unacceptable as a movie. Thumbs down
  7. lesliemiller
    Mar 10, 2010
    This is a documentary masquerading as a movie. Critics may see a subtle narrative here but this is simply one staged, violent episode after another. WHY OH WHY DID THIS WIN BEST PICTURE???? Is this Hollywood at its anti-war self yet again?
  8. Mark
    Mar 27, 2010
    Movie looks good but is so unrealistic, but it shows why fake wrestling is so huge no brain drama.
  9. BarbaraK
    Aug 1, 2009
    I wanted to walk out, but stayed for my sister. I was shocked by the total lack of realism and the way EOD was portrayed. It made a mockery of the infantry guys. They don't hide!!! Makes me sick that this is getting such high marks. There are too many holes and unheard of procedures to list. Where was the consultant?? Total Hollywood movie. Many better out there.
  10. Mar 26, 2011
    I was extremely disappointed with this movie, the story is boring and the characters are impossible to like, there was only one good part and it was extremely short and had all of the movie been like that moment it would have been fantastic, but instead it's a bad movie that isn't enjoyable.
  11. Sep 2, 2013
    This movie works only because it appears so real, it's the source of the suspense, the action, the atmosphere, characters, plot... etc. This is also why it fails. While it may be more accurate than many other war movies, this one was built on realism. However an informed viewer will note that the movie does not portray well the soldiers' lives and the Iraq war. Many bomb squad members saidThis movie works only because it appears so real, it's the source of the suspense, the action, the atmosphere, characters, plot... etc. This is also why it fails. While it may be more accurate than many other war movies, this one was built on realism. However an informed viewer will note that the movie does not portray well the soldiers' lives and the Iraq war. Many bomb squad members said so themselves, including the ones that were interviewed by the movie makers. All the portrayed military operations are inaccurate. This movie is a lie. However can it still be viewed as a regular war action movie? I'm afraid not. Without the sense of reality the movie loses all interest. To conclude, not only does this movie fail at what it sells for, which is a close enough portrayal of wartime, it also fails as an action movie. The only praise I can give is the amazing work achieved by the actors. You will enjoy this movie though if you do not know much about the Iraq war, like most Americans unfortunately. Expand
  12. Jun 4, 2011
    This is a great set up for what could be a killer war movie. But it isnâ
  13. Jul 4, 2012
    Great movie! Unlike other war movies about recent conflicts such as Jarhead, this movie is actually entertaining, with some of the best tension filled scenes you will see. And the performance by Jeremy Renner in the lead role is fantastic. I understand that many parts of the movie are "unrealistic", as many people have complained about, but 100% of fictional movies are unrealistic. TheyGreat movie! Unlike other war movies about recent conflicts such as Jarhead, this movie is actually entertaining, with some of the best tension filled scenes you will see. And the performance by Jeremy Renner in the lead role is fantastic. I understand that many parts of the movie are "unrealistic", as many people have complained about, but 100% of fictional movies are unrealistic. They have spice up aspects of life to make the film entertaining. I don't believe they mean any disrespect to those in uniform. They're merely trying to make the movie entertaining for the audience. But I understand this is a sensitive subject. Expand
  14. Jul 1, 2013
    Listen to our full review of this movie and others that are beloved by critics, Critically Acclaimed, Publicly Reviewed on itunes.
  15. Nov 6, 2013
    Entertaining, yet not anywhere near to reality. You wouldn't go off base by yourself without your gear. You wouldn't do half of the things they they did in this movie.

And action movie this is, an accurate one it is not. The portrayal of pstd was abysmal at best, and they way they wrote it off was sickening.
  16. Jeff
    Jan 6, 2010
    As a Soldier, I had high hopes for this film. I'd heard great things, and couldn't wait to check it out. I was utterly disappointed - I heard over and over again that this movie captured what it's "really like over there." All it proved is that no one in Hollywood has a clue. Still.
  17. Jun 8, 2012
    This is an excellent example of the politics of movie making. It's been said that this movie will demonstrate how the war in Iraq is remembered. This upsets me due to the lack of realism. Most noticeably, the fact that three soldiers do not run into the darkness alone to chase something that they may have seen. Nor did we risk soldiers to defuse bombs past the first months. Further, it's aThis is an excellent example of the politics of movie making. It's been said that this movie will demonstrate how the war in Iraq is remembered. This upsets me due to the lack of realism. Most noticeably, the fact that three soldiers do not run into the darkness alone to chase something that they may have seen. Nor did we risk soldiers to defuse bombs past the first months. Further, it's a rip off of the Lethal Weapon prototype. Unstable white guy paired with veteran black guy and they have over the top adventure. But the real insult? From the accounts of multiple vets, I have been told that District 9 was more realistic as far as reminding them of combat situations. Expand
  18. Jan 16, 2013
    Overrated movie, with unrealistic characters and no real story. Too much stupid Bravado and machismo. I am reviewing this because Zero Dark Thirty is out and while Katherine Bigelow is sexy, she only got to be a director, because she was married To James Cameron. Nepotism. I have no interest in seeing more fictional US military drama. I'll pass. Hurt locker was not that good.
  19. Feb 12, 2013
    all my EOD friends thing this movie is the best comedy scifi they've ever seen. complete garbage, oscar winning my ass. I know people complain that it's a movie not a documentry, but come on you have to stick to reality at least a little bit. the scene where he pulls all those heavy artillary pieces out of the ground by the det cord and blasting caps... come on was he superman? each one ofall my EOD friends thing this movie is the best comedy scifi they've ever seen. complete garbage, oscar winning my ass. I know people complain that it's a movie not a documentry, but come on you have to stick to reality at least a little bit. the scene where he pulls all those heavy artillary pieces out of the ground by the det cord and blasting caps... come on was he superman? each one of those wieghs at least 50 pounds. This movie was "based" off of a soldiers EOD experience, if he had done half of what he said he did in the movie he'd still be jail. this is just another movie made to get an Oscar, nothing more Expand
  20. Aug 27, 2010
    Easily the best movie made about the Iraq War, and one of the most memorable war movies I've seen in general. The director, Kathryn Bigelow, charges almost every scene with suspense and tension, producing action sequences more exhilarating and gripping than most high-budget blockbusters. Also, wtf with people complaining about the movie's real-life credibility? It's not like "ApocalypseEasily the best movie made about the Iraq War, and one of the most memorable war movies I've seen in general. The director, Kathryn Bigelow, charges almost every scene with suspense and tension, producing action sequences more exhilarating and gripping than most high-budget blockbusters. Also, wtf with people complaining about the movie's real-life credibility? It's not like "Apocalypse Now" represented the Vietnam War as it was, it just tried to be a great movie, which it was and "The Hurt Locker" is the same. Expand
  21. J
    Aug 3, 2009
    To all of you military types complaining that this movie wasn't realistic enough, it's not a documentary. It's a work of fiction. Period. The Hurt Locker isn't concerned with the nuts and bolts of making every tiny detail as 100% accurate as possible. If you want that, watch the Military Channel, or better yet go re-enlist and get shipped back over there if want an To all of you military types complaining that this movie wasn't realistic enough, it's not a documentary. It's a work of fiction. Period. The Hurt Locker isn't concerned with the nuts and bolts of making every tiny detail as 100% accurate as possible. If you want that, watch the Military Channel, or better yet go re-enlist and get shipped back over there if want an "authentic" experience. This is the first war movie in ages that paints its soldiers as real, complex people instead of cartoons or psychos, and all you can do is complain? Sheesh. Luckily, for the rest of us, this film will do just fine, because the enlightened viewer will realize that The Hurt Locker isn't about the details, but the big picture. It's a document of what a war like this means and how it affects the participants on both sides. It's neither pro-war nor anti-war, but instead just shows the ways things are without pronouncing judgment on its characters or their actions. It's also a showcase for some of the most impressive action and suspense set pieces to grace the cinema in a very long time. Hard, sharp, and honest, The Hurt Locker is one of the year's very best films. THAT'S the reality. Expand
  22. DimitriK
    Mar 8, 2010
    A great film but you have to be in the right mood to watch it. Not worth an Oscar by any stretch. However there should be more film like this...ones where you need at least half a functioning brain to enjoy.
  23. BillT
    Aug 9, 2009
    This film was garbage. I couldn't help laughing during the dramatic chase scene at the end of the movie, the tense sniper battle in the desert, the vigilante soldier's escape from his FOB, and the crazy soldiers drinking whiskey in their room. All four of these scenes were unrealistic. A British merc is unable to use a .50 cal sniper rifle to kill an insurgent sniper who is 350 This film was garbage. I couldn't help laughing during the dramatic chase scene at the end of the movie, the tense sniper battle in the desert, the vigilante soldier's escape from his FOB, and the crazy soldiers drinking whiskey in their room. All four of these scenes were unrealistic. A British merc is unable to use a .50 cal sniper rifle to kill an insurgent sniper who is 350 meters away? Want to know how to kill an insurgent at 350 meters away? Pick-up your M-4 and use your scope to shoot him. I had trouble watching this film because it was so unrealistic and boring. I hope people don't consider The Hurt Locker to be THE Iraq War movie. If you want to see a good movie about the war, watch Generation Kill. Expand
  24. Mar 8, 2011
    That people are giving this movie a ten, and that it won an Oscar shows just how desperately out of touch Americans are. Gross inaccuracies aside, and this movie is riven with them, the fact that this director had so much going for her in terms of the innate interest stories like this generate, and the timeliness of its release, and she blew it so completely, is very telling. It tells ofThat people are giving this movie a ten, and that it won an Oscar shows just how desperately out of touch Americans are. Gross inaccuracies aside, and this movie is riven with them, the fact that this director had so much going for her in terms of the innate interest stories like this generate, and the timeliness of its release, and she blew it so completely, is very telling. It tells of incompetence, and indifference to the people she pretends to care for and about. If she really cared, then the amateur to the stark errors she makes in this movie would have been removed, and she would have gotten at least some things right. Otherwise you're just out to make a name for yourself, and f*** you for that. Expand
  25. Aug 26, 2011
    One of the more over-praised movies in recent memory - really just another hyperkinetic mess from Kathryn Bigelow (one of the more over-praised directors working today). The main character is a cliche, the "loose-cannon" action hero, only in this case there is no explanation for his risk taking. Jeremy Renner plays the character with his typical lack of range or subtlety. The onlyOne of the more over-praised movies in recent memory - really just another hyperkinetic mess from Kathryn Bigelow (one of the more over-praised directors working today). The main character is a cliche, the "loose-cannon" action hero, only in this case there is no explanation for his risk taking. Jeremy Renner plays the character with his typical lack of range or subtlety. The only interesting actor is Ralph Fiennes as the leader of a band of mercenaries, but he's only on screen for a few minutes. Altogether a waste of time. Expand
  26. Sep 24, 2014
    I suspect the high reviews that critics have given this is due more to the fact the media is filled with liberal defeatist cowards because the film itself was boring, boring, boring. I could hardly stay awake.
  27. Aug 24, 2014
    I understand the importance of creating heroes surrounding the American military; however, I found this depiction overly run-of-the-mill. Sure, Jeremy Renner gives a fine performance--but I'm left missing some much needed heart.
  28. Jan 29, 2011
    the worst movie I've seen.... is not about war.... is about American idea of hero... Its boring and don't have argument ... I can't understand how this movie won an oscar
  29. Sep 7, 2011
    I seriously felt like shooting my self in the head...... over Americanised **** basically all hyped up trying to say Americans are the heroes even though they have killed more of their own than they have saved (SPASTICS) XD
  30. GrantS.
    Mar 9, 2010
    This piece of crap won Academy Awards? What a sad state of affairs the film industry is in.
  31. Jan 24, 2011
    Meh, I'm just gonna cut the **** this is one horrible movie. The fact that it won best picture of the year just shows how hollywood is all biased and about politics and congress. Over the years, the oscars have become nothing but a pitiful embarrassing sham with incredibly ridiculous nominees and arrogant hosts. You might as well pin it next to the VGAs in how pathetic it is. It's plot?Meh, I'm just gonna cut the **** this is one horrible movie. The fact that it won best picture of the year just shows how hollywood is all biased and about politics and congress. Over the years, the oscars have become nothing but a pitiful embarrassing sham with incredibly ridiculous nominees and arrogant hosts. You might as well pin it next to the VGAs in how pathetic it is. It's plot? You've heard it before, some guy goes to iraq, shows the hardships of the war, some people die, comes back to america, goes back, done. Nothing of interest or originality at ALL in this movie. Hell there's not even a story. Best part of all is the stereotypical black guy as the tough militant, nothin against black people, but the way they always portray them as bad ass military guys in tight uniforms is laughable. Really it's just an advertisement for the american military and government. It has what the government wants. Portray the US as the good guy and Iraq as the bad guy. Make working for the military look bad ass with some sniper rifle scenes and you got yourself a subliminal message "join the military" and a good ol **** you to avatar. Expand
  32. TimC.
    Feb 3, 2010
    I have completed 2 tours in Iraq and Afghanistan with the US ARMY. This was by far the worst movie I have ever seen. Nothing in this movie is the way things are done over there. Nobody drives around by themselves! Nobody leaves their FOB by themselves to "investigate" somebody. EOD does not even come out at night. They wait until the next day to use the robot to blow up the IED. They I have completed 2 tours in Iraq and Afghanistan with the US ARMY. This was by far the worst movie I have ever seen. Nothing in this movie is the way things are done over there. Nobody drives around by themselves! Nobody leaves their FOB by themselves to "investigate" somebody. EOD does not even come out at night. They wait until the next day to use the robot to blow up the IED. They hardly ever, ever make "the walk" as the movie so ridiculously put it. Anyway, do not think this movie is the way it is. This movie is complete make believe!!! Expand
  33. Feb 4, 2011
    this movie is a disgrace to the armed forces and has debased the Academy Awards by winning the Oscar for best movie. If you like cowboy movies, you'll recognise the characters but feel let down by pretty much everything else.
  34. davew
    Feb 15, 2010
    An awful movie ! how this is up for 9 oscars ill never know, poor storyline, many errors in the film, such as a guy being able to pick up a barrett 50cal and with less than 5 shot be totally comfortable with a weapon like that!! utter rubbish even fully trained snipers very rarely get there hands on a Barrett and to be able to pick off a moving target with a headshot at what looked to be An awful movie ! how this is up for 9 oscars ill never know, poor storyline, many errors in the film, such as a guy being able to pick up a barrett 50cal and with less than 5 shot be totally comfortable with a weapon like that!! utter rubbish even fully trained snipers very rarely get there hands on a Barrett and to be able to pick off a moving target with a headshot at what looked to be upwards of 800m is near on impossible for the world best let alone a bomb disposal guy who had just picked it up with no idea how the weapon is zeroed in !!!!! utter rubbish!!!! best War film in Years ??? give me a break!!! Expand
  35. Sep 10, 2011
    The movie's quiet tension adds realism to the movie, making it one of the true modern war films. However, the film's noticeably lethargic pace will make you bored. In the end, "The Hurt Locker" is just a decent movie that presents real life situations in modern warfare; no more, no less.
  36. JesseL.
    Feb 8, 2010
    Anybody who has been over to Iraq will laugh at this movie. It's a joke. It's almost as if the creators of this movie didn't get any professional military input at all. Whats frustrating for me, as well as everybody else who has been there and done that, is that they sold this movie and advertised it as the "real deal" and how this is a good example of "what things are Anybody who has been over to Iraq will laugh at this movie. It's a joke. It's almost as if the creators of this movie didn't get any professional military input at all. Whats frustrating for me, as well as everybody else who has been there and done that, is that they sold this movie and advertised it as the "real deal" and how this is a good example of "what things are really like over there". There are so many innaccuracies in this movie, some downright lies, that it was hard for me to watch and take it seriously. From that viewpoint, this was absolutely the worst movie of the year. It could have been a decent movie had they not made it out to be this realistic war drama about life in Iraq. Expand
  37. Jul 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first time I saw the trailer of the movie, I thought it would´ve been an interesting one. I was wrong. It started OK but from there on it was totally boring. Critics applaud the film for the "suspense" in it and the performance by Jeremy Renner and its photography and storyline. What storyline? The film features a lot of "tense ful" bomb defusing moments or in other words, "suspenseful" situations one after another that, really, lead to no conclusion. The guy easily defuses the bombs with almost no problems. A rookie soldier would've made those scenes a little bit more tense...maybe. The characters were forgettable. There is no character development in the film. The scene where James is trying to "find out" who killed the little Beckham also has no conclusion because he just randomly went to the house of this professor and asked what happened to the boy and moments later he goes back to his base. Also that night, the bomb squad heads to this place where, yes you guessed it, another bomb has blown. And the three are in pursue of the responsibles for that bomb. In the end, one of them gets shot and no one is captured. Bottom line, the film's about suspense situation after suspense situation that lead to no conclusion. A great film is one that introduces new artistic ways for filmmaking, a good story, which this film does not have, good character development and a good screenplay and the list goes on and on. The Hurt Locker has nothing of those. Expand
  38. PeterR
    Aug 10, 2009
    I am so glad some of our men and women in the armed forces are speaking up about the inaccuracies in this film. I didn't like this film for other reasons, but know that I have read their comments here, I am angry, appalled and embarrassed. Bigelow didn't claim this film is realistic, but she sure seemed to try to pass it off as such, and the critics and others ate it right up. I I am so glad some of our men and women in the armed forces are speaking up about the inaccuracies in this film. I didn't like this film for other reasons, but know that I have read their comments here, I am angry, appalled and embarrassed. Bigelow didn't claim this film is realistic, but she sure seemed to try to pass it off as such, and the critics and others ate it right up. I truely am embarrassed that this film is getting the "special treatment" from critics that should know better. Sad. Expand
  39. PeterB
    Aug 10, 2009
    I realize I'm way in the minority on not liking this movie. Like Jarhead, this is another movie that portrays most in the military as pychos or malcontents. Is it too hard to have a more balanced view? Yes, there are some of these types in the military, but the majority are great Americans. On a side note, anyone in the military will just shake their heads at quite a few implausible I realize I'm way in the minority on not liking this movie. Like Jarhead, this is another movie that portrays most in the military as pychos or malcontents. Is it too hard to have a more balanced view? Yes, there are some of these types in the military, but the majority are great Americans. On a side note, anyone in the military will just shake their heads at quite a few implausible situations. Collapse
  40. Aug 16, 2010
    This film is vinegar. Low budget unknown cast with cameo appearance by Guy Pearce and Ralph Fiennes who's flippant delivery summed up this film and probably his pay check.Guy Pearce gets killed before the credits finish.
  41. ForrestL.
    Feb 3, 2010
    I am a Marine combat veteran and I rate this movie as the most realistic war movie I've ever seen. It really captures the intensity and the individuality of combat and the changes it causes in all of its participants. Movies like Full Metal Jacket and Apoclypse Now and even Saving Private Ryan are cartoons - Hollywood director's fantasies of what war and conflict are. Most war I am a Marine combat veteran and I rate this movie as the most realistic war movie I've ever seen. It really captures the intensity and the individuality of combat and the changes it causes in all of its participants. Movies like Full Metal Jacket and Apoclypse Now and even Saving Private Ryan are cartoons - Hollywood director's fantasies of what war and conflict are. Most war movies are laden false events and dramatic devices and political "messages" but Hurt Locker embraces the realities of war and the people in them. This is a movie I'll keep for my children and grandchildren to show when they ask me what war was like. Expand
  42. AlT
    Mar 14, 2010
    12th greatest film of all time? Give me a break!! Absurdly overrated, notably by American critics. The characters are unrealistic and are insulting to the highly trained extremely well disciplined soldiers that risk their lives detecting and disposing of IED every day. The sniper section is unrealistic, with a headshot on a moving target at some considerable distance. There is no plot - 12th greatest film of all time? Give me a break!! Absurdly overrated, notably by American critics. The characters are unrealistic and are insulting to the highly trained extremely well disciplined soldiers that risk their lives detecting and disposing of IED every day. The sniper section is unrealistic, with a headshot on a moving target at some considerable distance. There is no plot - this film is just a sequence of set pieces. The film has no emotional centre and lacks character development - you feel nothing for the characters at the end. The score is unmemorable. The acting average. It does have good ideas, but on the whole it is poorly executed. 9 oscars was a vote in support of the war effort, not in support of the quality of this film. Downright poor. Expand
  43. Andrew
    Jul 29, 2009
    I am still deployed and this is truly the worst war movie I have ever watched. Without even acknolwedging how far from the truth the tactics are and lack of security in every scene, EOD is falsely portrayed as some sort of special forces unit. I have sat on many IED's and regardless of the fact that units are not allowed to travel outside of a 3 vehicle or 4 vehicle security concept, I am still deployed and this is truly the worst war movie I have ever watched. Without even acknolwedging how far from the truth the tactics are and lack of security in every scene, EOD is falsely portrayed as some sort of special forces unit. I have sat on many IED's and regardless of the fact that units are not allowed to travel outside of a 3 vehicle or 4 vehicle security concept, EOD is not comprised of 3 enlisted defusing bombs. The robot is always extensively used and more importantly EOD personnel are never foolish enough to handle ready to go large ordnance to diffuse it. Every time we found an IED from 155 shells to mortar rounds, they were always blown in place. The few times an IED was taken was when it was fully dismembered by a disrupting detonation. I watched a little over half of this movie before turning it off as it was too painful and ridiculous to watch. Expand
  44. Dec 13, 2010
    This movie gets a 2, reason being because CG effects were great and acting was as well. However, the cast didn't fit together also these little cameos by famous actors were just boring and pointless. This movie won a bunch of academy awards and I don't know how? Hollywood is just lame in giving awards sometimes. They just give them to look good and to either make people mad or happy. ThisThis movie gets a 2, reason being because CG effects were great and acting was as well. However, the cast didn't fit together also these little cameos by famous actors were just boring and pointless. This movie won a bunch of academy awards and I don't know how? Hollywood is just lame in giving awards sometimes. They just give them to look good and to either make people mad or happy. This movie just makes you feel like you should die or try to die as you keep watching or living out your life. Yeah you could watch it, but don't expect to feel anything after this boring anti-war movie. It's basically just about being obsessed and it's like who cares give me something with meaning, you're taking up my life's precious hours! Expand
  45. Dec 11, 2012
    I realize this review is coming a little late but I see the same director is now birthing another one of her 'realistic' films about war (Zero Dark Thirty). I love hard hitting action films as much as I HATE political propaganda and that is what the Hurt Locker is. I was completely bored with the "crazy-American-cowboy standing-alone -against-all-the-whimps" theme. Maybe this filmI realize this review is coming a little late but I see the same director is now birthing another one of her 'realistic' films about war (Zero Dark Thirty). I love hard hitting action films as much as I HATE political propaganda and that is what the Hurt Locker is. I was completely bored with the "crazy-American-cowboy standing-alone -against-all-the-whimps" theme. Maybe this film director/writer should join up and see what a real war feels like. Expand
  46. AlexS
    Jan 4, 2010
    A very, very good " Iraq war" movie. I liked it, but still the critics are pissing themselves too much it seems. The ratings for this movie are so great everywhere that my expectations were too high. I liked the fact that this film did not tried to get into politics also.
  47. DenC
    Mar 8, 2010
    Terrible garbage. Not worth watching. The director should go back to film school and actually learn how to film a movie. Do not waste your time. There is a reason this film did not get wide release. It is utter garbage.
  48. NicoleJ.
    Jan 25, 2010
    Considering the reviews, I was thoroughly disappointed. It simply failed to engage me. It felt like a horrible waste of 2 hours. At this point, I can only hope the critics don't waste any more energy promoting this one during awards season.
  49. May 8, 2012
    Entirely typical wartime propaganda that actually very forcefully tries to paint the citizens of the country being attacked and exploited as the bad guys. Absolutely vile.
  50. Mar 25, 2012
    The Hurter Locker might not be the best movie of the year but it certainly deserves more recongnition. A movie with such intense scenes and perfect editing that combines the drug of war within and on the ground.
  51. ReubenH
    Apr 25, 2010
    Bottom line on the hurt locker is that it s OK, but clearly did not deserve the Oscar In 5 or 10 years, nobody will be talking about the Hurt Locker. The story was not especially original. The cinematography will not be referenced in other movies, and the film won't be parodied by cartoon shows as cultural icon. It was totally forgettable. IMO inglorious bastards should have won.
  52. Aug 11, 2010
    One of the most outstanding war movies this century. I am a surprised a woman could even direct something as good as this one. Some people should really think about it, because it is kind of true. I am sure some people jsut hate it just because it beat Avatar in the oscars
  53. RIckyBlue
    Jan 2, 2010
    I'm with RW on this one. I thought this was a dumb, empty movie and haven't found a single review that points out what I've missed other than it was some kind of adrenaline rush. "It was so real, man." What kind of ivory tower institution do you people come from? This movie is disrespectful to American soldiers and Iraqi civilians alike. It's just another lame I'm with RW on this one. I thought this was a dumb, empty movie and haven't found a single review that points out what I've missed other than it was some kind of adrenaline rush. "It was so real, man." What kind of ivory tower institution do you people come from? This movie is disrespectful to American soldiers and Iraqi civilians alike. It's just another lame Hollywood vision of reality that allows people to pat themselves on the back for saying absolutely nothing. I don't know. It's an empty movie with bad dialogue and ridiculous, two-dimensional characters. Expand
  54. LilyS.
    Mar 12, 2010
    Disjointed, unrealistic, slow, dull, and pathetic are all word that should be on the cover of this movie. It had the potential to be good if it had dived into story a bit more and chosen what it wanted to be about. Did it want to be about the relationship between the team or with the little kid? The difficulty of being in Iraq or the struggle of returning home? It touched all of those but Disjointed, unrealistic, slow, dull, and pathetic are all word that should be on the cover of this movie. It had the potential to be good if it had dived into story a bit more and chosen what it wanted to be about. Did it want to be about the relationship between the team or with the little kid? The difficulty of being in Iraq or the struggle of returning home? It touched all of those but left you wanting more. There was a lot of deep in thought staring when not easily clipping the wires of bombs. I could rant all day about how much I was disappointed but I'll just stop abruptly like the entire movie. Expand
  55. FranciscoA.
    Mar 15, 2010
    Very bad movie in deed... Un Accurate, bad plot, had a couple of great moments, but a suspense war TV movie all the way.
  56. BrendanD
    Dec 31, 2009
    Seldom are war films and war politics able to be separated, but this is ridiculous. It's one thing to open up a dialogue about the rightness and wrongness of political and military decisions -- the great ones do that. It's a completely different thing, however, to put such a shiny gloss on it. This movie is to war movies what "Crash" was to race movies: a film that functions Seldom are war films and war politics able to be separated, but this is ridiculous. It's one thing to open up a dialogue about the rightness and wrongness of political and military decisions -- the great ones do that. It's a completely different thing, however, to put such a shiny gloss on it. This movie is to war movies what "Crash" was to race movies: a film that functions more as an idea than a story. It certainly wasn't boring; but then, neither was "Crash." However, I like films that probe a little deeper. If you want to see something that will make you question your beliefs on war (whichever side you fall into), check out "The Thin Red Line" or "Battlestar Galactica" and ditch this schlocky nonsense. Expand
  57. DarenP.
    Feb 2, 2010
    More like crap locker,not like it was at all. EOD doesn't cruse around all by themselves in summer 04,let alone wear some bomb suit in 120+ heat AND not brake sweet. Stopped it 18min into what crap.
  58. Jun 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Some cool moments (like the sniping, didn't make any sense that a guy who disarms bombs knows how to spot and snipe guys makes no sense, to their own expertise or the story-line) but the plot and characters, especially the main character ticked me off. The black guy constantly trying to kill the main character was the breaking point for me. We need to support our troops not act like every CO is a bastard with his men trying to kill him. The unpatriotic views makes me sick. The and the fact it has gotten great critic reviews is slander. One of the worst war movies I have ever seen. Expand
  59. JimmyR
    Mar 12, 2010
    This movie was average at best. To compare this with Platoon is a complete joke. I only gave it a 5 because of the last 15 min, best part of the movie. You dont even need to be in the military to see what crap most of this movie was, the sniper scene was hysterical, what were they doing out there to begin with? Why did they need to stay out in the sun all day? How long does it take to This movie was average at best. To compare this with Platoon is a complete joke. I only gave it a 5 because of the last 15 min, best part of the movie. You dont even need to be in the military to see what crap most of this movie was, the sniper scene was hysterical, what were they doing out there to begin with? Why did they need to stay out in the sun all day? How long does it take to determine there is no more threat? All day I guess..LOL And the best, how is that guy so accurate with that sniper rifle..What BS..still laughing..hahaha. Expand
  60. bleof
    Mar 14, 2010
    I really don't understand why so many reviwers give more than 2 points to a movie that is downright boring. After 45min every viewer should ask himself weather something will happen or he can just switch off. the whole movie is nothing more than a documentary and not a motion picture worth mentioning it...
  61. ThomasH.
    Feb 2, 2010
    Watch The Messenger instead, why the critics are rating this so highly is a mystery. It doesn't even compare to Apocalypse Now and Platoon. Heck it's just awful, watch Jarhead instead.
  62. MiKE
    Feb 9, 2010
    What a BORE of a movie! Badly directed as well. AVOID
  63. charlesn
    Mar 10, 2010
    This is a very average movie - I don't understand all the hype. The story is cliched and simplistic, the acting is adequate. The actions of the protagonist are barely believable. Visually, very pretty, but really, nothing we haven't seen before. Can anyone honestly say they would look forward to watching it a second time?
  64. hzac
    Oct 10, 2009
    This movie was good for the first 20 minutes of the movie suspenseful then the rest had me rumbling my lis and slouching in my chair don't see it
  65. ErinT
    Mar 13, 2010
    I really looked forward to seeing this (especially after the Oscars) but was totally disappointed. I found the characters wooden, the plot repetitive, and the entire film TEDIOUS. I have now read the many military comments that it is factually inaccurate as WELL and I struggle to see a point to the movie at all. Boring - not engaging at all. Don't bother.
  66. GuillermoA.
    Mar 21, 2010
    Boring, really boring. How can someone stress up with so many cliches? It should be a short film. Maybe it is as someone said an only-american movie. Nationalism aside, I don't get why critic love it. Big disappointment.
  67. MimiS
    Aug 10, 2009
    Add me to the list of those who squirmed in my seat and tanked this movie's rating. Congratulations to Hollywood that it took a movie that wasn't distracted by well-known, high-vis movie stars for the general public to think this was a great movie in comparison to other Iraq War movies recently released, almost all as equally unrealistic but blessed with having the name power to Add me to the list of those who squirmed in my seat and tanked this movie's rating. Congratulations to Hollywood that it took a movie that wasn't distracted by well-known, high-vis movie stars for the general public to think this was a great movie in comparison to other Iraq War movies recently released, almost all as equally unrealistic but blessed with having the name power to carry the movie. It is also no surprise that many military folks, especially those of us who have been deployed, really hate the unrealistic portrayals, the many inaccuracies that this movie has. I suppose I can be like the average civilian and just enjoy this movie as being entertaining I just can't do it. The was just so much wrong with it from the unitforms (in 2004 we were still in desert uniforms) to the scene where the EOD team had to take over the sniper duty over a bunch of Brit mercenaries? The real deal are not that inept. Wish they used better military consultants, then we wouldn't have to suffer the indignity of yet another unrealistic Iraq War movie Expand
  68. simonf.
    Aug 17, 2009
    Good idea for a film, however you feel no connection with the actors at all, you really don't care what happens to them.
  69. alano.
    Jun 17, 2010
    This got so much critical acclaim that made me see it for myself. It turns out this film was excellent in the war category. It was also Oscar-worthy, just not Best Picture-worthy.
  70. Sep 3, 2010
    Realistic or not this is a great film. The plot was laid out in an organized fashion, no cliche twists that make the viewer feel smart. The characters were well written and are open to interpretation. The amount of small details and varied sequence of events makes an easily film to watch multiple times.
    But, don't expect an ACTION FILM. @ForrestL I could not agree more.
  71. Apr 26, 2011
    Full patriotism without good history.
    The direction very slowly and with clear focus on the heroic nonexistent.
    Not deserve any award.
    It is understandable that did not win any other competition except the American: Oscar.
  72. Dec 6, 2011
    **** awesome movie. Enough said but since there is a 150 character min I mus say random **** Blahahahahah Dick fart lolololololololllllllllllllllllllllllgfgfgf
  73. Nov 4, 2013
    Personally, I don't feel that "The Hurt Locker" deserved all those Oscar awards and that it's slightly overrated but I don't deny that it's a really damn good film. It's tense, complex, violent and action-packed. The story is well planned and written and the acting is fabulous.
  74. Jan 20, 2013
    "The Hurt Locker" is, at times, very gritty and gripping entertainment. Clearly, it caught the imagination of the Hollywood Limousine Liberal reviewing establishment, who gave it very high marks and ceded it a number of significant awards. But how good is the movie? Not really that good. In particular, the movie presents a very destructive and inaccurate portrayal of what soldiers are"The Hurt Locker" is, at times, very gritty and gripping entertainment. Clearly, it caught the imagination of the Hollywood Limousine Liberal reviewing establishment, who gave it very high marks and ceded it a number of significant awards. But how good is the movie? Not really that good. In particular, the movie presents a very destructive and inaccurate portrayal of what soldiers are really like. Nobody as reckless and irresponsible as the main character would last ten minutes in a special weapons unit of any kind, let alone one involved in demolition work. The fact that so many Hollywood reviewers accepted such a ridiculously inaccurate portrayal establishes that this kind of portrayal is currently Politically Correct. It is what Hollywood wants to believe soldiers are really like. A true work of art worthy of a best picture award would find the incredible drama present in the lives of our soldiers' *as they truly live them*. Besides being inaccurate, the movie is also, in places, simply distasteful. In constructing my final rating, I penalized it on that score. Expand
  75. MelC.
    Mar 9, 2010
    I'm not sure which movie the critics saw, but Hurt Locker is unskilled at just about every level.
  76. KyleD.
    May 21, 2010
    Hello, I pirated this movie, and I didn't like it very much. From all of the hype, I was expecting a lot more. The rise to the climax felt loosely strung together, and there was hardly any character development at all. If you've seen the trailers, you've seen the best parts already. It also came to my attention that the director indirectly called me an idiot and wished for Hello, I pirated this movie, and I didn't like it very much. From all of the hype, I was expecting a lot more. The rise to the climax felt loosely strung together, and there was hardly any character development at all. If you've seen the trailers, you've seen the best parts already. It also came to my attention that the director indirectly called me an idiot and wished for innocent people's children and spouses to be locked up in jail. I can't support someone with such a sick sense of morality. Expand
  77. SammyS.
    May 20, 2010
    What a stinker. Ironic how this retard is now suing people that pirated it, just because no one wanted to pay to see this piece of trash film. Get out of the film business PLEASE.
  78. GordieA
    Aug 2, 2009
    Clearly there are people voting here that are working for the studio because this film is not at all engaging and people that say it is good are either being payed to say so or are movie morons.
  79. BobbyT.
    Jun 9, 2010
    Inaccurate, poor acting, slow, boring, poorly written nonsense.
  80. JonM
    Jul 30, 2009
    One of the best films of the year thus far, and certainly the best Iraq war film. Well performed and well directed -- hopefully this baby will earn some Oscars.
  81. Mar 15, 2011
    Hurt Locker was very good. The acting was really fine, the plot moved along and it exceeded my expectations. There was a nice sense of humor within the continued suspense. The connection between the protagonist and the boy selling DVDs humanized the already very human story.
  82. Aug 12, 2011
    I went into this movie expecting Black Hawk Down but I wasn't disappointed when i didn't get it, instead i really enjoyed the slow paced yet interesting story. Critics enjoyed this movie for a reason, they are professionals who have studied hard in the field of film, they know what they're talking about.
  83. RicardoL.
    Feb 15, 2010
    An only-American movie!!!! No one else in the world can understand that patriotic feeling, without it the movie is complete poor.
  84. John
    Mar 8, 2010
    Fantastic Movie with an outstanding performance by the leading actor.
  85. JasonB
    Aug 15, 2009
    What's with all this military elitism in the other comments? Would you be satisfied with any portrayal of the military short of outright propaganda? This movie is not intended to be an absolutely realistic portrayal of the military. It's intended to huumanize and de-politicize the military experience, which it does brilliantly. Seriously, do you have any idea the way you're What's with all this military elitism in the other comments? Would you be satisfied with any portrayal of the military short of outright propaganda? This movie is not intended to be an absolutely realistic portrayal of the military. It's intended to huumanize and de-politicize the military experience, which it does brilliantly. Seriously, do you have any idea the way you're portrayed in the media? Either you get the anti-war 'death machine' portrayal or the pro-war 'ubermensch' portrayal. The characters in this movie are relateable to civilians and were put into situations where a single mistake or oversight could mean death. It strips back the pro-war and anti-war propaganda and makes you feel for the situation the soldiers have been put into. But I suppose you just wanted the military portrayed as a bunch of Rambos. Expand
  86. Fistsoflove69
    Jan 17, 2010
    It was not what I would call an action movie, it was a good drama but not an action movie. The ending is sadly more true to life than you'd imagine.
  87. MichaelT.
    Feb 4, 2010
    This is an incredibly tense film, I was on the edge of my seat for just about all of it, and the bits I had time to slide back were moving and harrowing. I kinda felt like I was getting yanked in two directions though; one side glorifying the intense, adrenaline-packed army lifestyle, and the other demonizing war, tackling the themes of shell-shock, PTSD and sacrifice. Having said that This is an incredibly tense film, I was on the edge of my seat for just about all of it, and the bits I had time to slide back were moving and harrowing. I kinda felt like I was getting yanked in two directions though; one side glorifying the intense, adrenaline-packed army lifestyle, and the other demonizing war, tackling the themes of shell-shock, PTSD and sacrifice. Having said that this film is a brilliant spectacle worthy of its praise. (I think The Hurt Locker will contract Any Other Year Syndrome, in terms of the Oscars anyway... damn Avatar). Expand
  88. AmirF.
    Mar 12, 2010
    After watching this movie I thought with myself : " Did this piece of art merit winning Oscars !? " I paused for a moment , I back warded the movie to the beginning , watched it again , then I flash-forwarded to the end , and reviewed the walking of James toward hell and I answered myself : " Hell it did its job " movie begins with great atmosphere giving you the feeling that you are After watching this movie I thought with myself : " Did this piece of art merit winning Oscars !? " I paused for a moment , I back warded the movie to the beginning , watched it again , then I flash-forwarded to the end , and reviewed the walking of James toward hell and I answered myself : " Hell it did its job " movie begins with great atmosphere giving you the feeling that you are really in that location and it triggers the feeling of compassion with characters , you feel the rising of their Adrenalins , you feel their sweats , you feel the god-damn hot air , and so on . the story takes you to its deep and dark resolution of showing what really is life in that messy city , the city of women crying for the loss of their beloveds , children still playing soccer in the street joyful and some others selling porn movies in order to earn their livings , men watching American from their balconies and wondering " What will be the future of Baghdad ? " You simply just hold your breath in some scenes , leaping to the edge of your seat , crying just for compassion , just for realizing the truth [ I didn't cry ;-) ] ... I don't wanna spoil the story for you cause the plot is available everywhere and I'm not here to repeat those plots again and just bore you , I just want that it be clarified for you that this movie is well directed , although I didn't like the performings very much , Jeremy Renner [Staff Sergeant William James ] wasn't at his peak , he could do better . the cinematography [Barry Ackroyd] is lifelike and that's what gives you the sympathy with the characters . The writer I don't know him/her but he has done a great job. Expand
  89. Mitchellk
    Mar 9, 2010
    Great Intense and Suspenseful Movie with great direction, who knew she had it in her.
  90. lolalulu
    Jul 1, 2009
    One of the most realistic war movies that I've ever seen.
  91. JoyceT
    Aug 2, 2009
    Relentless, devastating and totally awesome. Not a political soapbox, but a good war movie is always a moral one. Go see it. Make everybody you know go see it. An effort this fine deserves some box office heat.
  92. TomB
    Aug 20, 2009
    Really good film focusing on character study and interaction in extreme circumstances. Take it for what it is! Don't let Hollywood ruin it!
  93. johnB
    Aug 6, 2009
    The Hurt Locker, Movie Review by BANJO52.blogspot.com The Hurt Locker: 4 (on a scale of 1 low to 4 high ) In this study of a U.S. Army bomb squad in Iraq in 2004, director Kathryn Bigelow grabs us by the throat in the first few minutes and never lets go. I find myself tempted to say this is the best war movie I
  94. BobW
    Aug 7, 2009
    Intense, suspenseful, engrossing.
  95. richardh
    Aug 9, 2009
    Fantastic film. Tense and riviting drama. Realistic and genuine.
  96. SamR
    Aug 9, 2009
    A lot of people are giving this movie bad reviews because they think its unrealistic. Well, first of all, it is. Second of all, who cares! This movie is not a true story its simple a fictional chapter of what a three man EOD squad COULD HAVE have been like. So please stop quibbling and enjoy it. This was by far the best film I have seen in 09, just edging out Public Enemies. Renner is A lot of people are giving this movie bad reviews because they think its unrealistic. Well, first of all, it is. Second of all, who cares! This movie is not a true story its simple a fictional chapter of what a three man EOD squad COULD HAVE have been like. So please stop quibbling and enjoy it. This was by far the best film I have seen in 09, just edging out Public Enemies. Renner is fantastic and the other two are fantastic as well adding to the tension of their relationships and missions. All in all, this movie blew me away. And although I thought that it took a small step into becoming one of the Bourne movies when Renner is running around Baghdad. I can find no other major critiques. A solid 9 out of 10. Expand
  97. AlexP
    Sep 1, 2009
    This is the "Platoon" for this generation. Simply brilliant filmmaking.
  98. michaelj
    Sep 13, 2009
    I enjoyed this movie and thought it was very tense. I am suprised by the reaction from current armed service members. What if the criticisms of the inaccuracies and unrealistic nature of this movie are totally true? Does that make this movie automatically shitty? Is "Apocalypse Now" an insulting, bad or offensive movie because Vets feel it didn't reflect their actual service I enjoyed this movie and thought it was very tense. I am suprised by the reaction from current armed service members. What if the criticisms of the inaccuracies and unrealistic nature of this movie are totally true? Does that make this movie automatically shitty? Is "Apocalypse Now" an insulting, bad or offensive movie because Vets feel it didn't reflect their actual service experience in Vietnam? Apocalypse Now is an incredible movie, as is this one. Expand
  99. ThayerH.
    Jan 11, 2010
    Truly a masterpiece. Don't let other reviews fool you, this movie is not for everyone. If you truly love films, approach this movie with an open mind and you will be pleased. Only those who are too institutionalized by Hollywood's formulaic processes disliked it, as is evidenced by the polarizing reviews. They just don't get it. People who came in expecting big explosions, Truly a masterpiece. Don't let other reviews fool you, this movie is not for everyone. If you truly love films, approach this movie with an open mind and you will be pleased. Only those who are too institutionalized by Hollywood's formulaic processes disliked it, as is evidenced by the polarizing reviews. They just don't get it. People who came in expecting big explosions, standard, unrealistic story arcs, and some sort of solid antagonist, The kind of people who are uncomfortable in a movie experience that doesn't tell them how to feel and what to think. Expand
  100. EricO.
    Jan 10, 2010
    The best movie of 2009. It is not a fantascy science fiction kind of a movie. It is real and it brings you down to earth. These type of soldiers are the bravest in the history of human warfare.

1. The result is an intense, action-driven war pic, a muscular, efficient standout that simultaneously conveys the feeling of combat from within as well as what it looks like on the ground.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    A near-perfect movie about men in war, men at work. Through sturdy imagery and violent action, it says that even Hell needs heroes.
  3. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    Boal's script stirs a little of everything into the pot, which boils down into seven setpieces divided by brief intervals of camaraderie/conflict among the three protags.