6.9

1. May 16, 2014
    Beautifully filmed and featuring 3 superb performances from Marion Cotillard, Joaquin Phoenix, and Jeremy Renner. Not everyone will enjoy the pace, but the film is most rewarding to people who pay close attention to its details. Films just aren't made like this anymore. I consider it to be one of Grays best, and with career-best performances from Cotillard and Renner. I think there's aBeautifully filmed and featuring 3 superb performances from Marion Cotillard, Joaquin Phoenix, and Jeremy Renner. Not everyone will enjoy the pace, but the film is most rewarding to people who pay close attention to its details. Films just aren't made like this anymore. I consider it to be one of Grays best, and with career-best performances from Cotillard and Renner. I think there's a chance that the audience for this kind of film will be smaller than others, slow building melodramas typically are these days, but Gray has made a masterpiece of his. Expand
  2. May 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just got back from seeing this and I thought it was excellent. The
    cinematography was gorgeous and the performances were very powerful.
    I'm sure that what happened to Eva happened to a lot of young women.
    Bruno was a very **** character, drawing her in and putting her
    in more and more desperate situations, taking full advantage of the
    fact that she would do anything to get her sister off of Ellis Island.
    And making it seem like it was her decision to boot! When all of your
    options suck what do you do? If you have a strong will to survive, you
    do what Eva did.

I know that Eva was charmed by Orlando/Emile (Jeremy Renner) but if
    she'd gone with him I think she would've ultimately regretted it. While
    well meaning, he came across as something of a flighty dilettante who
    would've dropped her the moment something shinier and newer came along.
    His character was all élan and dash with very little substance,
    purposely so.

The final scene between Eva and Bruno was perfect and I hope that come
    Oscar season this movie gets some recognition.

1. Reviewed by: Geoff Pevere
    Jun 5, 2014
    Visually evokes Coppola’s "Godfather Part II" and Leone’s "Once Upon a Time in America," but in its utterly irony-free melodramatic sincerity also suggests a silent-era woman’s picture à la D.W. Griffith, King Vidor or G.W. Pabst.
  2. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    May 28, 2014
    The Immigrant is two hours long, but I stayed even longer in my seat, through the credits, still in thrall to it all. The title is singular, but the scope is not so easily quantifiable.
  3. Reviewed by: G. Allen Johnson
    May 26, 2014
    An astonishingly beautiful, irresistibly grim movie.