5.8

1. Jun 28, 2013
    So many good actors, an interesting story. The movie had so much potential, but they ruined it. A lot of the things happening in the movie, were not even possible. Making the whole movie, just one big joke.
  2. Mar 18, 2013
    Full disclosure, I'm a Carell fan-boy, otherwise I wouldn't have gone anywhere near this movie. I should have stayed away. This is the type of comedy that has no appeal to my funny bone whatsoever. This film is trying desperately to be Anchorman but falls flat in every way. The first 20 minutes gives us a glimpse into the two main stars childhood. Presumably to give us some insight intoFull disclosure, I'm a Carell fan-boy, otherwise I wouldn't have gone anywhere near this movie. I should have stayed away. This is the type of comedy that has no appeal to my funny bone whatsoever. This film is trying desperately to be Anchorman but falls flat in every way. The first 20 minutes gives us a glimpse into the two main stars childhood. Presumably to give us some insight into the characters motivation, and to help us connect with them. Strike 1 and strike 2. Why would you spend 20 minutes of a comedy setting up your hero to be sympathetic to the audience if in the very next scene you plan on making him an unsympathetic egomaniac, inexplicable. Every single character in this movie except for Olivia Wilde's is played completely over the top. Correct that. Apparently they were told to play the character over the top, and then crank it up another notch.

Of course all of this is forgiveable in a comedy if it does the one thing that everyone expects, make us laugh. As you can probably already tell Wonderstone fails here as well. Two jokes landed for me in an hour and a half. When the name of Carrey's characters television show is revealed and the scene after the credits start rolling. Except for those not even a chuckle. It's the same way as I feel about The Office post Carell (in case your wondering why I'm a fan-boy).
  3. Jun 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A film trying to be Zoolander or Anchorman that turns out to be Semi-Pro. I love Steve Carell and Jim Carey, but not in this unfunny obnoxious mess. I mean how long can you hold your urine. Really? Expand
  4. Mar 26, 2013
    Where do I begin as the song goes. To tell a story of a movie so poorly written and so poorly acted that finding even a minimal positive characteristic or feature is virtually impossible. I'm starting to feel badly for Jim Carrey, a middle aged man, still doing the same shtick type comedy he did in his twenty's. was sad. I've always liked Jim's movies because they brought out andWhere do I begin as the song goes. To tell a story of a movie so poorly written and so poorly acted that finding even a minimal positive characteristic or feature is virtually impossible. I'm starting to feel badly for Jim Carrey, a middle aged man, still doing the same shtick type comedy he did in his twenty's. was sad. I've always liked Jim's movies because they brought out and showcased his talent of which he had a lot of. I agree with the Wall Street Journal's review, sadly, about this exceptional unfunny movie. Not worth the price unless you're the type who unconditionally likes Jim. Save your money for a movie I understand he has coming out this August. Expand
  5. Aug 30, 2013
    I do not actually love Jim Carrey and Steve Carrel......now. Their older movies were very good and sometimes very funny, but this one was awful!! I am very disappointed.
  6. Sep 26, 2015
    There is an old saying that says, "too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the broth". This is an apt metaphor to describe the Incredible Burt Wonderstone. While I'm not crazy about magicians, how could you not be excited for a comedy starting Steve Carrell and Jim Carrey? They are certainly two of the best comedic actors around and I hoped this film would be a can't miss, but it was far fromThere is an old saying that says, "too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the broth". This is an apt metaphor to describe the Incredible Burt Wonderstone. While I'm not crazy about magicians, how could you not be excited for a comedy starting Steve Carrell and Jim Carrey? They are certainly two of the best comedic actors around and I hoped this film would be a can't miss, but it was far from it. In a parallel situation, Carrell and Carrey are trying to one up each other in the same way that Wonderstone and Gray are in the film. This results are a film that is sloppy and a complete waste of time and talent. The story takes place in Las Vegas, where for twenty years Burt Wonderstone (Steve Carrell) has been the only name in magic. One day a newbie appears on the scene, one with a TV show and a high risk element to his act. Steve Gray (Jim Carrey) makes Wonderstone appear old and outdated, inspiring Burt to up his game. This film simply wasn't funny at all, as the producers tried to pit David Copperfield against Criss Angel. It was an interesting idea for a film, just not a comedy, because magic simply isn't funny. Watching these guys share idiotic dialogue, while they perform stupid tricks, that nobody would want to see, isn't funny. There isn't much more to say other than this film was a complete bust, with almost no redeeming qualities what so ever. I am still in a state of shock, that a movie with so many comedic stars could turn out to be this bad, but it really does prove that too many cooks is never a good thing. I'm sure the cast all had their own ideas and all tried to interject their own unique styles into the film, but it simply didn't work. Expand
  7. May 6, 2013
    Most of the jokes are in the trailers. I expected a much funnier movie after viewing the trailer than the one showed in theater. If i were you, i would just wait for it to make it to dvd and rent it instead

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Mar 15, 2013
    As ever with comedies like this, all the really funny stuff is in the opening 20 minutes. But it's entertaining stuff, with a scene-stealer from Alan Arkin.
  2. Reviewed by: Rick Groen
    Mar 14, 2013
    For my first trick, allow me to write off an entire picture by merely affixing to the title a one-word contraction: The Incredible Burt Wonderstone isn’t. Please hold your applause.
  3. Reviewed by: Lou Lumenick
    Mar 14, 2013
    Steve Carell is fatally miscast as an arrogant, flamboyant third-rate magician in The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, which by all rights should have been a second-rate Will Ferrell vehicle.