5.7

1. Nov 22, 2010
    The script is the lamest thing in this movie, as well as the plot. Yes, the first 15 minutes are somewhat intriguing but it soon takes a sharp dive into the WTF category. Nobody except Ricky Gervias can play their part, and Jennifer Gardner couldn't have been worse. They have thrown the most boring ideas into one movie, and have created an ultimate disaster. It's hard for me to like aThe script is the lamest thing in this movie, as well as the plot. Yes, the first 15 minutes are somewhat intriguing but it soon takes a sharp dive into the WTF category. Nobody except Ricky Gervias can play their part, and Jennifer Gardner couldn't have been worse. They have thrown the most boring ideas into one movie, and have created an ultimate disaster. It's hard for me to like a movie, but this was real easy to dislike because it makes me feel uneasy, and by the end I'm thinking: Who cares?!! Expand
  2. Mar 16, 2012
    A film that starts out in an intelligent and entertaining way but utterly collapses into a sluggish, head-scratching albatross in the third act. Although it apparently attempts to lampoon religion and its origins (which can't be done enough, in my opinion!), the last 40 minutes felt an awful lot of preachy bullcrap to me.
  3. Apr 18, 2014
    We get it Ricky Gervais, you're an atheist. Now I don't have anything against atheists or trying to address religion in a film...but good God man have some subtlety. The obviousness of this movie is just shameless.
  4. Aug 19, 2010
    Thoughtful & very funny. I guess if you don't like it you just don't get the complete absurdity of religion. The pizza box sketch summed-up the pronouncing and subsequent development / expansion of religious laws perfectly. "When you're in heaven you can eat ice cream anytime you want ... and any flavour you can think of!" "Oh no! I just thought of vanilla & skunks"
  5. Sep 26, 2010
    I really love this movie! It's such a great, unique concept and I think they did a lot with it in a clever, humorous way. It's a bit dark and the humor is a bit more subtle than some people's attention spans can handle, though, apparently.

I went into watching this movie with an open-mind and I was happy with it. I suppose I can see why those who are religious and also take themselves way too seriously would give it a negative review. However, this movie is best enjoyed on the top layers without trying to read into it further. Don't dig for what it might be implying with the religious references. There is no reason to be offended at all by it because none of it is done in a mean-spirited way. It is simply filling in a hilarious answer to a ridiculously unrealistic "What if..." question. As an atheist that appreciates subtle humor, I also think I really fit the profile for who this movie communicates to.

Overall, if you can laugh at yourself, society and culture without getting bent out of shape, you will enjoy this movie.
  6. Apr 28, 2011
    The Invention of Lying is based on a good idea, yet a relatively simple one. Due to this limitation the laughs dry up after 10 minutes and enjoyment of the rest of the film is reliant on how much the viewer enjoys watching RIcky Gervais be the same character he is in everything that he does.
  7. Jan 11, 2015
    The Invention of Lying has an interesting central concept and an all star cast but never seems quite sure of the type of movie it wants to be. It starts out as a straight comedy movie before moving into rom-com territory and then suddenly turning into a move about the issue surrounding religion about half-way through. As a result no area is really explored fully enough and the laughsThe Invention of Lying has an interesting central concept and an all star cast but never seems quite sure of the type of movie it wants to be. It starts out as a straight comedy movie before moving into rom-com territory and then suddenly turning into a move about the issue surrounding religion about half-way through. As a result no area is really explored fully enough and the laughs gradually dry up as it reaches its conclusion.

The Invention of Lying isn't a terrible movie but its not a particularly good one either.
  8. Mar 12, 2012
    It was a really interesting movie and definently worth at least checking out imo. The cast is solid but not perfect, Above average I guess. The plot was good as well. I liked it.
  9. Aug 25, 2012
    The idea for the film is absolutely outstanding. It's just a shame that the film itself isn't as funny as it could be. Ricky Gervais is funny in places but there simply aren't enough jokes. It starts wane a lot towards the end. Still I would recommend it to others simply for the premise alone.

1. However cheeky and blasphemous, this is, at heart, a rather sweet little fable. Which of course would mean nothing if it weren’t explosively funny.
    Proof that when you aim for the stars, sometimes you find a black hole. Hopefully just an anomaly for the usually wonderful Gervais.
  3. Reviewed by: Nick Pinkerton
    Lying brushes more big ideas than commonplace comedies, but hasn't taken those ideas through enough drafts to work out their implications or--harder still--make them killingly funny.