5.7

1. Nov 22, 2010
    The script is the lamest thing in this movie, as well as the plot. Yes, the first 15 minutes are somewhat intriguing but it soon takes a sharp dive into the WTF category. Nobody except Ricky Gervias can play their part, and Jennifer Gardner couldn't have been worse. They have thrown the most boring ideas into one movie, and have created an ultimate disaster. It's hard for me to like a movie, but this was real easy to dislike because it makes me feel uneasy, and by the end I'm thinking: Who cares?!! Expand
  2. Apr 28, 2011
    The Invention of Lying is based on a good idea, yet a relatively simple one. Due to this limitation the laughs dry up after 10 minutes and enjoyment of the rest of the film is reliant on how much the viewer enjoys watching RIcky Gervais be the same character he is in everything that he does.
  3. Mar 16, 2012
    A film that starts out in an intelligent and entertaining way but utterly collapses into a sluggish, head-scratching albatross in the third act. Although it apparently attempts to lampoon religion and its origins (which can't be done enough, in my opinion!), the last 40 minutes felt an awful lot of preachy bullcrap to me.
  4. Apr 18, 2014
    We get it Ricky Gervais, you're an atheist. Now I don't have anything against atheists or trying to address religion in a film...but good God man have some subtlety. The obviousness of this movie is just shameless.

1. However cheeky and blasphemous, this is, at heart, a rather sweet little fable. Which of course would mean nothing if it weren’t explosively funny.
    Proof that when you aim for the stars, sometimes you find a black hole. Hopefully just an anomaly for the usually wonderful Gervais.
  3. Reviewed by: Nick Pinkerton
    Lying brushes more big ideas than commonplace comedies, but hasn't taken those ideas through enough drafts to work out their implications or--harder still--make them killingly funny.