8.3

1. Aug 25, 2014
    No matter what you are handed in life, nobody says that it will be easy. The King's Speech certainly personifies that notion. In one of the finest historical portrayals of a past Royal Family, the film is absorbing and profound. Colin Firth gives a performance for the ages!
  2. Mar 7, 2014
    This movie is near perfection. Winner of four Oscars rightfully so, you will not be disappointed after watching this. An incredible true story of a man trying to get over his stammer and fear of public speaking which many people can easily relate to. The cinematography is absolutely amazing and really makes you feel nervous for him while watching the film. In terms of acting, everyone in the movie is brilliant especially Firth in the leading role. Overall this is one of the best movies I have ever seen and is the highest rating I have ever given on Metacritic. 91.3 out of 100. Expand
  3. Sep 19, 2013
    With Firth's believable stutter and great acting, The King's Speech remains one of the best movies in recent years. Just the execution of such a simple idea at the core is amazing, and Director Tom Hooper is to be credited to the fullest for such a noteworthy film.
  4. May 12, 2013
    I cant understand the point that the movie is boring and there is no action.
    The speech at the end was for preparing a whole nation for the second world war.So its pretty serious stuff.
    And i hate this guys who give Fast and the Furios a score of 10 and this film a 0 ranking!
    Its pretty annoying me.
    To the movie:Colin Firth was not overplayed.He made a very got job.And Geoffrey Rush
    played also well.
    Because ist a historic movie i was worried that its to hauling.But my fear was not correct and i really enjoyed the film at every part.There were no lengths and the performances get me hooked.
    So i give it a 9 from 10.
  5. Jan 5, 2013
    This wonderful film is about the true story of how the Duke of York was stammerer and got help from an Australian speech therapist who believed that doctor techniques were stupid. Geoffrey Rush and Colin Firth both have strong performances not to mention a good performance by Helena Bonham Carter. It is amazing how he was before the speech therapist and how well he did with the speech therapist.
  6. Dec 8, 2012
    Absolutely fantastic film! The story is so touching, and the actors truly portray the characters to perfection. Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter, Guy Pearce, they all deliver such strong and realistic performances; the audience simply falls in love with each character, making the story that much more touching. Colin Firth really gives a brilliant performance. He really does a good job of showing the conflict and emotions of the character. I really loved the scene where he cries......great acting. A great performance; I can't wait to see him holding the Oscar for Best Actor, he deserves it.

The King's Speech is one of the most touching, emotional, and heart felt movies I have seen. Basically, you just need to see it for yourself. It truly is a brilliant film that has everything, even some humor. I thought this movie would be drowned out by the brilliant "The Social Network," but it closed out the year taking home the Oscars for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Actor! A wonderful film!
  7. Nov 28, 2012
    Pristinely written and acted, "The King's Speech" is an uplifting, culturally significant drama with a wholesome message grounded in its center.
  8. Nov 26, 2012
    Brilliant, exciting and perfectly cast, The King's Speech is one of my favorite movies ever. Top 5 easily. For a movie with very little action, per se, it moves quickly. The characters are memorable and fantastic in this story of the British move toward a second world war. Best Colin Firth ever. Best Geoffrey Rush ever. Just beautiful.
  9. Nov 22, 2012
    Untouchable acting imo that makes the movie worth watching for that point alone. I think the story is great and really touching as well. Some people simply do not get it I guess. A must see imo.
  10. Jul 5, 2012
    If you are wondering why this movie won best picture along with other three other Oscars then you have not yet seen it. The movie is about King George VI becoming king and his problems with his speech. He is second in line to become the King of England, his brother is above him. At the beginning of the movie he begins by stammering on a speech. You clearly get to see the problems he has when he speaks. His speech problem is not stage fright because it even happens when he tells his daughter's stories. His wife (Bellatrix from the movie series of Harry Potter) tries to find a solution for her husband. One attempt is holding marbles in his mouth and trying to speak (a doctor suggests this). After this falls George goes to a different doctor where the story of friendship begins. His new speech therapist has many exercises for George to perform. It gives you goosebumps the first time you are watching it and the king realize that the doctor was right about the music (watch it and you will know what I mean). Later in the movie George's brother decided to give up the throne of England so he can marry a divorce United States woman that still has husbands living (this is against the Church of England). George then becomes the kind of England and is fear of having to talk publicly becomes reality. Before when he was duke he does not have to speak on such of a global scale. Know that he has become king he will know have to give many more speeches. The Kings Speech gets its name from speech George address to the public. Thanks to his practice with his new founded friend the speech therapist, he succeeds in giving the speech without stammering (except for once; so that the audience knows it was really him giving the speech). Expand
  11. Jun 1, 2012
    Refreshingly good movie about a topic that the public knows little about. Although the story doesn't have much historical truth to it as much of the tale is completely made up - still it is good enought to believe that two people could work so hard together through such an ordeal.
  12. Jan 26, 2012
    To be burdened with holding supreme power, status, and authority of a monarch must not be an easy task. Throw a speech impediment into the mix and the result would surely be near impossible. That's what George VI, otherwise known as "the Reluctant Kingâ
  13. Jan 16, 2012
    There is a reason why Colin Firth won Best Actor and there is a reason why this movie won Best Picture. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. One of the greatest films made in a long time.
  14. Jan 6, 2012
    Encantador retrato de la vida de un rey y la forma de superar sus problemas personales y reales quedas satisfecho momentos hilarantes y grandes actuaciones de las mejores películas del año
  15. Dec 1, 2011
    Its easily one of the greatest films of all time. The acting is simply amazing and Colin Firth is an amazing lead for this film. I highly recommend it.
  16. Nov 26, 2011
    Easily one of the greatest films you will ever see. Sadly though people are shallow and dont see the bigger picture that the film represents. The acting was wonderful and the entire film was simply a master piece.
  17. USG
    Nov 21, 2011
    This is a fascinating story told in a unique perspective with a distinct, admirable style of cinematography that is memorable. It's surprising to see what can be accomplished with such a budget.
  18. Nov 3, 2011
    Another great addition to the category of period dramas. Masterfully acted by Colin Firth and with an impressive supporting cast, The King's Speech is Oscar gold. 4/4 stars.
  19. Oct 28, 2011
    Simply put, it is one of the best films of the past decade. The thing that stood out to me the most was the absolutely superb performances by everyone in the cast, across the line. Obviously, Firth, Bonham Carter, and Rush were exquisite and definitely deserved their Oscar nominations (and Firth his win). Subtle, yet beautiful performance by everyone that create strong connections between the characters and audience. The screenplay was written beautifully and is quite refreshingly funny and endearing, something that historic dramas often struggle with. Technically, also, the film was top-notch, with excellence in art design and costumes, but also some beautiful cinematography and an amazing score by the always brilliant Alexandre Desplat. "The King's Speech" has it all - brilliance in writing, performance and technique, which is anything and everything a film could wish for. BRAVO! Expand
  20. Sep 15, 2011
    Le Discours d'un roi, voilà le film inattendu de cette année! Avec un concept original (bien que réel) et des têtes connues, ce long-métrage aurait seulement suscité la curiosité de plusieurs personnes. Mais c'était sans compter sur le charme du film. Un charme qui provient notamment de l'excellente prestation de chaque acteur (Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter, Guy Pearce, Derek Jacobi...), de la bande originale d'Alexandre Desplat, des dialogues et de la reconstitution de l'époque (décors, costumes, accessoires...). Mais surtout, le film doit son charisme à son ambiance, qui en restant d'une sobriété incroyable parvient tout du long à dégager une extraordinaire puissance, rendant cette histoire et ces personnages merveilleusement attachants. Le Discours d'un Roi, le film à ne pas manquer, sous aucun prétexte! Expand
  21. Sep 9, 2011
    The acting was superb. It's a very moving story and you realize it just in time for the end. I simply loved it, actually there's not much more to say.
  22. Aug 20, 2011
    This movie was absolutely fantastic. Heartwarming, with an unforgettable academy award winning performance from colin firth, and a very funny and charming geoffry rush, along with the also charming helena bonahm carter, The King's Speech succeeds with a great script from david seidler, three brilliant performances, and beautiful direction from tom hooper. The 2nd best film of 2010 besides david fincher's "The Social Network" the only reason this movie gets a 9 is because I think it's trying to much to be a oscar movie, unlike the social network. But still very satisfying. But it did not deserve best picture and diretcor. Those should have gone to The Social Network. But still very heartwarming and enjoyable. Expand
  23. Aug 14, 2011
    I never was a fan of dramas so I didn't have high expectations for this movie. But then this turned out to be one of the greatest films I ever watched. Colin Firth gave one of the best performances I've ever seen. I can see why he won Best Actor at the Oscars. I highly recommend this movie to anyone and everyone. A pure masterpiece.
  24. Aug 11, 2011
    This film is just amazing, a great performance from Colin Firth which was definitely worthy of his Oscar. Also an outstanding performance from Geoffrey Rush, the supporting rolls are also done exceptionally well to, like the rolls portrayed by Helena Bonham Carter, Guy Pearce, and Michael Gambon. This film is one of the best I've ever seen.
  25. Aug 10, 2011
    A success this big only comes when you bring three of the best active British actors together to make an extremely British movie. Its sets are beautifully detailed and the scenes between Firth and Rush show great chemistry, as well
  26. Jul 20, 2011
    The incredible acting of Firth and Rush compel us through this interesting and touching historical drama. From the simplistic beauty of the sets to the enchanting score, this is monumental cinema and a true example at how the British Film Industry is far from death - it is, in fact, at its pinnacle.
  27. Jul 12, 2011
    The King's Speech is a wonderful film about a man finding his voice when the world needed to hear it most, but that's only the plot as it may be described at a more superficial level. Deeper themes on friendship, confidence, self-worth, love, respect, and hard work are all highlighted in this touching and powerful instant classic that's sure to speak to every viewer who has ever suffered through any physical, mental, or emotional shortcomings and fought to overcome. Supported by a witty, meaningful, and self-assured script; strong direction; great sets and costuming; seamless performances; and impeccable intangibles; The King's Speech is a complete film, a modern masterpiece with old fashioned sensibilities and a timeless message that's sure to live on for decades to come. Expand
  28. Jun 17, 2011
    Fantastic, this is movie making at it's best. The acting is impeccable, from the leads to all the supporting. Colin Firth gives the quintessential George IV. Rush and Carter are tremendous Of course these fine performances would be wasted without David Seidler's screenplay and Tom Hooper's light hand directing such fine stars. He allows them to fully immerse themselves in their characters and brings the audience in with their performances. Brilliant. Expand
  29. Jun 16, 2011
    Driven by strong performances by Firth, Rush, and Bonham-Carter, the King's Speech is by far the best film of 2010. The score is incredibly rich and emotional. The set is restricted and narrow, and gives one the feeling of what George VI is going through. This is a superb period piece, and a great biopic. It deserves all the awards that it one, especially the Oscar for Best Picture. Not seeing The King's Speech will be the biggest cinematic mistake of your life. Expand
  30. Apr 30, 2011
    Isn't it weird how this movie was rated R yet Battle: Los Angeles wasn't?
  31. Apr 20, 2011
    I think the right word for the movie is moving. As I watched I really felt as though Firth really was struggling, and to watch the transformation from beginning to end is just an experience you really won't want to miss. Some may argue that the subject matter is dry, and I would argue the opposite. You have characters who develop throughout the movie and you are really shown how the development of those characters plays out. A must see! Expand
  32. Apr 13, 2011
    This one was as good as advertised.
    NOT an action movie by a long shot.
    This movie gives this Royal a sense of human frailty to the viewer.
    Firth and Rush do a phenomenal job!
    Great script, great acting what this movie needed was a few more sunny days, but that is England's weather for you.
  33. Apr 3, 2011
    Extremely well done, sensible and historically accurate, The King's Speech is probably the best movie I have seen in 2010. Acting was superb, something you sadly can't say of the majority of movies shown in today's cinemas, and by the end I felt really enriched.
  34. Mar 21, 2011
    This was a thoroughly enjoyable movie. I saw this a while ago (before the BAFTAs and Oscars) but decided to come back now to write a review. I didn't know much about this movie before seeing it, so I went in with no expectations. I'm glad to say that I didn't come away disappointed. I've never been a fan of Colin Firth, but I have to give credit where it's due, he is excellent in this. Geoffrey Rush is amazing as well. I couldn't see this film working with any one else in those roles. The story is interesting, the script is well written, and the acting is spot on. What more could you want. It was nice to see a film that hasn't made me feel like I've wasted my time and money. Recommended. Expand
  35. Mar 12, 2011
    "Truly Moving , uplifting , and completely brilliant from start to a glorious finish. Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush give the best performances of there career. Immersible and stylishly clever , Kings Speech will have you interested and loving the film , by closing credits" .. A++
  36. Mar 7, 2011
    A moving and funny film is hard to get but Tom Hooper and David Seidler did a great job. The Oscar was well given and I think everyone should see this movie it's a story of bravery and friendship. I got to say that Helena Bonham Carter was really different on this movie we are used to see her in crazy roles like Red Queen in "Alice in Wonderland" or Bellatrix Lestrange in "Harry Potter". Colin Firth deserved the oscar it's a hard role to play and he was great! Expand
  37. Mar 5, 2011
    Very interesting movie to watch! Never knew much about British leadership before WWII, but this movie inspired me to find out. Interesting experience for those who want to find out some things more about World's history.
  38. Mar 3, 2011
    Truly masterful acting throughout and a well-paced script that didn't lag at any point. Capped by a moving last 10 minutes that made me teary. Lived more than up to the hype.
  39. Mar 3, 2011
    Riveting performance by Colin Firth. It's a shame people can't name more of his movies:
    If you haven't seen this yet - do yourself a favor and watch it.
  40. Feb 28, 2011
    Wow, honestly one of the best movies I have ever watched, the performances were absolutely crazy. Colin Firth has always been a great actor in my eyes, and this just proved it to the rest of the world. This movie definitely deserved the Oscar that it won, and not mention Geoffrey Rush was outstanding in this one also.
  41. Feb 24, 2011
    i dont usually dig these kind of flicks.. but i couldnt ignore the reviews .. i watched and i agree - cinema at its finest.. a drama yes, historical yes.. all the ingredients for a boring movie - yes.. but it transcends all that.. powerful story.. amazing acting, great cinematography.. I even got a little choked up at the end.
  42. Feb 22, 2011
    Possibly the best movie I have ever seen in quite awhile. I do not like sitting through English flicks and was not looking forward to watching this one. I savored every moment and was surprised when it ended. It blew me away that is for sure. I predict hands down - Colin Firth best actor - and this movie wins best for the Oscars.
  43. Feb 21, 2011
    Duke of York, has stammer & speech problems, goes to unconventional therapist, King/Father dies, Brother abdicates, made King, has to overcome disability.
    Wonderful film which is moving, warm & funny with superb performances from both Colin Firth & Geoffrey Rush.
    Authenticity & casting are spot on with good support from Helena Bonham Carter & Guy Pearce although wasn't too convinced by
    Timothy Spall's Churchill. Expand
  44. Feb 18, 2011
    There is no doubt, that one of the main reasons for this film to be so famous is because of the performances of the actors, who were, let me say, splendid. The king that cannot give a decent speech in front of his people, goes to a miraculous speech therapist that helps him get his voice to lead the nation into war. The acting isnâ
  45. Feb 17, 2011
    I just love the depth of character Colin what's his name? brings to the title roll. Yet again a film worthy of all the applauds and more .
    P.S
    I haven't seen it yet ! Don't want to spoil my image I have of Colin what's his name?.
  46. Feb 17, 2011
    Such a beautiful movie, beautiful soundtrack by Alexander Desplat and totally brilliant and touching performance by Colin Firth. Beautiful biopic about King George VI. Tom Hooper is great but I think it's not amazing movie but a beautiful movie
  47. Feb 16, 2011
    One of the best movies of the year second only to Social Network. The King's Speech is about a king overcoming his stutterâ
  48. Feb 16, 2011
    Please go to YouTube, search for The King's Speech and you'll find my review: 'The King's Speech - a stammerer's view'. I'm the non-celebrity in the bright blue shirt and, like King George VI, I stammer!
  49. Feb 14, 2011
    Very pleasant movie. Great script and storyboard. Great screenplay and scenes. Excellent acting performances from Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush. It's a marvelous movie based upon actual historical facts, but in my opinion never the win the Oscar nominated for Best Movie.
  50. Feb 12, 2011
    A brilliant story that speaks in fewer words. It is a humanizing of even the highest of class. Portraying the beauty in the stiffness of English regality. And yet, the unconquerable human drive to face even the most intimidating personal insecurities. A will to conquer and a leader to truly drive a nation. Go see it. This drama has heart, not glitz, and message that needs to be remembered.
  51. Feb 12, 2011
    Well... just by giving a 10 out of 10, do I have to say more? Do I have to spell it out for you? At this point it really doesn't matter what I'm gonna say but what you've seen... this movie shows what effort can do... to be more redundant (according to this topic, of course)... this movie is shouting every possible emotion on every character, and believe me, there was no problem on talking here.
    Colin Firth, keeps surprising me with every movie he takes part in. But, talking just in this case, what an amazing performance! Shyness, bad temper, impotence, medical problems, self-concience issues, past traumas, inexperience in some cases, and that sense of great responsability (it resembles to Lion King's Simba for this kind of feeling, ''I cannot be what I am''), all these feelings gathered and mixed in a chaotic way within Colin's character, and every one of them better than the other you've just seen. Perfect, in each and every single way to say it, JUST SAY IT: PERFECT PERFORMANCE, TOTALLY CHAOTICALLY PERFECT. Colin, you've got the whole responsability with your character, and madly well done.
    Geoffrey Rush takes a lot in this movie too, I'm not forgeting him. Of course no. He keeps this chaotic mixture and tranforms it into a perfectly done puzzle of a great King image. A great performance too. Good man, good job! And of course Helena B.Carter, of course... the most believable serious character she've ever done! At first it was such a weird thing to know he was nominated for her supporting role here, because she was always as crazy (in the good way) as Tim Burton... you know what I mean. But here, unstoppable. Like a perfect royal lady must be.
    Music made by the same compositor from the last 2/3 Harry Potter movies (Alexandre Desplat) who is new at this. But he's growing, day by day. Such a good job too.
    No doubts, 12 oscars belong here... KING SIZE.
  52. Feb 11, 2011
    As everyone else has said, it's amazing. Flawless acting and settings immerse you. Beautifully done, deserving of it's 12 academy award nominations. Social Network ro King's Speech? very tough call
  53. Feb 11, 2011
    Truly a great movie. The King's Speech has never made me want to learn more about history than ever! I try to watch a variety of films and it seems that the historical/informative ones seem to pull me into the plot the most.
  54. Feb 10, 2011
    Oh, come on. A movie without action doesn't mean it's bad. The script is very well written, the cast act so well both together and independently and they managed to pull of such a weird sounding plot very well. Why a 9? I know it's based on true events, but they could've gone into more detail with the ending. I never got bored once in this movie, and that is really saying something.
  55. Feb 7, 2011
    Absolutely wonderful. Brilliant acting all around and brilliant directing. It is so nice to see a movie that doesn't have bloodshed, special effects all over the place, gratuitous sex, just a great story and great acting.
  56. Feb 6, 2011
    Not often do you see a movie without action, sex, or violence and sit glued to your chair hanging on every word. And quite honestly, this is what The King's Speech delivers. The dialogue will leave you speechless. The ensemble cast of great actor's takes you to that special place. If this movie doesn't win the OSCAR in just about every major category there is no justice in Hollywood. Don't walk, rather run, to see this cinematography genius. Expand
  57. Feb 4, 2011
    Virtually impeccable and incredibly engaging. I arrived 20 minutes late and had terrible seats right under the screen but I was still completely enthralled by the plot. All the acting was superbly subtle and deep (except maybe Helena Bonham Carter, whose character I never really 'got') and despite the fact I knew what was going to happen I was sitting on the edge of my seat with my heart in my mouth as he walked through Buckingham Palace towards the radio microphone at the end. The whole thing was constructed perfectly and I hope it wins all the Oscars its nominated for - it truly deserves them, more than any film I've seen in years. Expand
  58. Feb 2, 2011
    Being asked what your favorite movie is or what is the best movie of all time is, most would say the Godfather, I would say that it has not been made yet, but for this movie to trump my favorite, The Shawshank Redemption, that is saying something. This was a bro-mance movie at base value but the performances delivered, it made me laugh and cry as cliche as it is but it really hit home with me personally, and it tugged at my heart strings. This was truly a remarkable movie, and it made me smile even more knowing that a movie about Facebook was not the only contender in the race for awards. Expand
  59. Feb 2, 2011
    This film is enjoyable from beginning to end, which is all the more amazing when you realise that the plot could basically be summarised in a single sentence. The performances are all riveting and I can attest that the stories of spontaneous ovations in theatres all over are backed by my experience here in Sydney. If The King's Speech is beaten by any picture (especially the extremely overrated Black Swan) at the Oscars, I will be very disappointed. Expand
  60. Feb 2, 2011
    For sure, the film is predicable, but the brilliant performances and the stylish production are more than enough to make up for it. Colin Firth is masterful: no lesser man could have achieved what he has in this film. Geoffrey Rush is hilarious and brilliant, as usual. Helena Bonham Carter gives depth to a character that has very little screen time, no small feat at all. The people will love it, the critics will love it, and, perhaps most obviously, the Oscars will love it to death. Expand
  61. Feb 1, 2011
    "The King's Speech" is an amazing story that is full of great performances an amazing screenplay and brilliant, skillful direction. This is, simply, a movie not to be missed!
  62. Feb 1, 2011
    A certain dramatic and comedic license was adopted for the outstanding film, "The King's Speech", with Mr Logue's grandchildren remarking that the King's unorthodox but highly effective speech therapist never swore in front of the King or ever addressed him by his intimate family name of "Bertie." Geoffrey Rush brilliantly portrays a brash, irreverently witty and staunchly egalitarian Australian healer, unabashed by the elevated status of his patient, sympathetically and convincingly rendered by Colin Firth, as the tormented and acutely shy Duke of York, who stood at the apex of the British aristocracy. The film is engrossing, compelling, poignant and enjoyable.

The actual historical facts, though, also bear some objective examination. The real Lionel George Logue (1880-1953) was born in Adelaide, South Australia, and, after leaving School, studied elocution, music and theatrical acting. He even worked for a time in a gold mine in Kalgoorlie. A Christian Scientist, with some Methodist influences, he devoted himself to healing - treating World War One returned soldiers suffering from shell-shock induced speech impediments. From 1924, he practised speech therapy in Harley Street, London, using fees paid by wealthy clients to accept poorer patients free of charge.

In 1926, the Duke of York consulted him about the Duke's painfully severe stammer. Logue diagnosed poor coordination between larynx and diaphragm, giving the Duke rigorous exercises for one hour's duration each day. Using tongue-twisters, Logue helped the Duke to rehearse his major speeches and coached him for his Coronation in 1937, following the enormously disruptive abdication of Edward VII the previous year, a crisis which almost brought down the British Monarchy itself.

King George VI, as the former Duke became, made Logue a Member of the Royal Victorian Order (MVO) in 1937 and elevated him to the rank of Commander (CVO) in 1944. Logue attended the King for the V E Day broadcast on 8 May 1945. Both men retained a friendship for the rest of their lives - with Lionel Logue dying in London on 12 April 1953 (being survived by his three sons) and with the King dying a little more than a year earlier on 6 February 1952 (being survived by his widow and two daughters, one of whom being the present Queen Elizabeth II.)

The totally unexpected accession to the throne by King George VI, who never saw himself as being King in the place of his brother, "David" or Edward VII, depicted the ethical differences between the two brothers. The Duke of Windsor, as he became, was something of a self-indulgent, willful and shallow playboy, who threw everything away for Mrs Wallis Simpson, an American divorcee with a talent for collecting wealthy husbands and who was detested for the rest of her life by the remaining House of Windsor. The Duke of Windsor's hope of an eventual reconciliation with his own family was never realized and he was to spend the rest of his life, aimlessly wandering Europe with his domineering paramour, until his death. His brother, King George VI, resolutely shouldered the burden of ruling Britain during the darkest days of World War Two and accepted his elevation to the Monarchy with a courageous sense of duty, however much he dreaded the responsibilities he was expected to discharge. A heavy smoker, his death was caused by a lung cancer related heart attack. His heiress and successor, Queen Elizabeth II, throughout the five decades and more of her own reign, has drawn upon the example of selfless duty and hard work set for her by her late father.

Much of the King's effective implementation of his role is perhaps due to the unconventional but healing practices of his Australian rescuer who took on perhaps the most important task any citizen of the British Dominions could perform during the 1930s and 1940s - that of encouraging the King to encourage his subjects. This film celebrates that commitment and that accomplishment.
  63. Jan 29, 2011
    As far as film's about speech impediments go, you can't go wrong with this. The banter is top notch. Firth and Rush are amazing together and the film keeps tempo.
  64. Jan 25, 2011
    Great story, great acting-- but I don't think I'm scratching any new surfaces not covered in other reviews. My only minor complaint is visually the film is a little lacking. Personally, one of the things I like most about true-history films are the establishing shots of the area in that time. Wide shots seemed few and far between in this movie, but there's more close-ups than I've seen in quite a while. If you are looking for stunning visuals of pre-war England this is not your movie-- but it doesn't do much to dampen that spirit of an already excellent film. Expand
  65. Jan 23, 2011
    Wonderful movie. Sensational acting from Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush. It has everything, humour, drama, history and most of all entertainment. If it doesn't win awards there is definitely something wrong.
  66. Jan 23, 2011
    When a film makes you feel the pain of the character just by watching his face, then you say, "wait this a movie", you know the acting is superb. This is an outstanding movie and I am surprised it received a R rating.
  67. Jan 22, 2011
    An amazing and well put together movie. Rush and Firth lead the helm with their superb skills, but so many others did so well in this film(Carter and Spall!). The cinematography and overall look of the film is exceptional. There is real tension and emotion here. It's a great work, in practically all aspects, but this film is not for everyone since it is devoid of much physical action, but if you can overlook that is might be the film of the year. Collapse
  68. Jan 21, 2011
    I don't get to see movies like this too often. While the pacing was slow in parts, I felt like it was intentional due to the need to have the viewer "feel" King George VI's own slow pace. Otherwise, the acting, script, locations and emotion were flawless. The effort made by the recently-defunct UK Film Council to get this picture made and distributed was Herculean.
  69. Jan 20, 2011
    This was a great story and I'm glad it was told. The three primary actors, Geoffrey Rush, Colin Firth, and Helena Bonham Carter, were amazing. Colin Firth, especially. Colin Firth's performance was one of the best of the year, for sure.
  70. Jan 19, 2011
    Excellent acting and directing. Well-paced. Subtle in its dramatic appeal. One of the year's best. In fact, there were very few flaws in this film... and I am very picky!
  71. Jan 18, 2011
    Great movie!!! Wonderful acting, beautiful story and director Tom Hooper did a great job. Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush are brilliant and I highly recommend this movie before Oscar!!
  72. Jan 17, 2011
    THe thing that I most liked was the acting and sarcasm out of both...the film is a very slow plotted one but still is worth watching. The direction is very peculiar and appropriate for the pacing of the movie. Drama, laughter, rage and pity.
  73. Jan 17, 2011
    Saw this in an old movie theatre in North London with a very respectful audience, average age 50, where it was respectfully received and much appreciated - albeit without spontaneous applause. All concerned, Firth, Rush, Bonham-Carter, Hooper did a superb job. One of the best of the year.
  74. Jan 14, 2011
    Those who say that there are few if any surprises in this film are correct. Nonetheless, the dialog and the performances are so good, that I consider this one of the two best films I've seen this year. (The other is The Social Network.) The audience spontaneously broke into well-deserved applause at the end of the film.
  75. Jan 13, 2011
    Simply superb. It's hard to fault a film that is shot so beautifully, scripted so eloquently and performed breathtakingly across the board. I'm not usually a fan of period dramas, but Tom Hooper has expertly crafted an emotional fable with a fine balance of witty humour and heart wrenching moments. There is simply nothing to criticise, from the awkward opening to the rousing finale, the King's Speech is a delight to behold throughout. Firth naturally delivers a sublime performance, but the support is as equally magnificent. Helena Bonham Carter and Geoffrey Rush especially simply chew up scenery whenever on screen. Their relationships with the stammering King George a constant highlight. The first film I've seen this year, and what a fine way to begin a year of film. Expand
  76. Jan 5, 2011
    The man in the top hat looks so doleful. He has the aspect of somebody who's just been handed down a death sentence by his physician. Crazy as this may sound, but if you were to propose a litany of hypotheticals toward the man in the top hat, he would probably choose cancer and an ordinary life, as he slowly approaches the mic. Unfortunately for him, appearances to the contrary, the doleful man is fit as a fiddle, and because of his birthright, slated to live a quotidian-free life, without his ever asking. After all, he's the Duke of York, and the words in those royal hands compose not a prescription for pills, but a keynote speech, one that would live in infamy, as the words would get stuck in his throat before a capacity crowd gathered at Wembley Stadum for the Empire Exhibition of 1932. Adding insult to injury, the duke's implosion is being broadcasted over the wireless, in which his oratorical impotence, no doubt, will make him a laughingstock all across the UK. No longer can he get away with remaining silent like his predecessors, stoic monarchs who lived during the age when simply being was enough. Stammering in the fog, the duke is literally turning green. Similar to Stanley Donen's "Singin' in the Rain", in which "The Jazz Singer" forced the conversion of "The Dueling Cavaliers" into a talkie, here too, the advent of sound changes the game the game for all the royal players consecrated around their means of subsistence. Much to the duke's great consternation, a speech impediment, thanks to the emerging technology, is now a matter of public record, and as a result, the future king's ability to "perform" his role, is put into question by his British subjects who are no longer mere subjects, but instead, comprise of an audience. His father, George V, suggests the basis behind the analogy between these two films, when he tells his younger son that the halcyon days of waving from moving carriages are over, in which the hand gesture, the simple execution of a purely unadulterated kinetic act, can no longer compete with the human voice. Like Norma Talmadge, the alleged inspiration behind Jean Hagen's character Lina Lamont, an idiosyncratic voice could have ended his career. Lucky for George V, god saved the republic by blessing him with an instrument that's positively stentorian. The outgoing king goes on to complain about having been transformed into an actor, and therefore, obligated to make a connection with his people. The king is wrong, of course, since radio or no radio, he already was a performer, a silent one. His success at mastering the new medium puts him in the same league as Greta Garbo and Marlene Dietrich, just to name a few. Verbal communication merely raises the stakes on the royal acting racket. Too bad for the duke that his job wasn't a simply a matter of hiring Debbie Reynolds to stand behind a camera have her read lines in-sync with his moving mouth. The sudden foregrounding of the voice over gesture put the future king on notice. Comparably speaking, soon after Al Jolson uttered the line, "You ain't heard nothing yet," not a peep was heard out of countless leading lights from the silent film era, most notably, Gloria Swanson, who played Norma Desmond in Billy Wilder's "Sunset Boulevard", the ultimate poison-pen letter to all things Hollywood. At Westminster Abbey, on the eve of his coronation, the duke brings up the unfortunate case of George the third, the king, who like the fictional siren, went mad, and as he relays his worries over being abdicated from the throne like his ancestor was to the Australian, the speech therapist Lionel Logue, the method to the unlicensed doctor's madness comes into sharp focus. Perceived to be anti-establishment, due to the quack's insistence that he be considered an equal of the duke's throughout their sessions, "The King's Speech", with its echoes of the anarchy-minded "Queen(The)", diverges from the Stephen Frears film with an agenda that belies the outward appearance of irreverence towards the crown. Largely because the speech therapist takes the liberty of using the duke's informal name, likewise, the audience, being privy to Birdie's Achilles Heel, considers themselves to be the king's equal, as well, implicated as such through the shared experience of public speaking, a bane to many, which unites the rich and famous with the anonymous. As Birdie frets over his public image and public opinion, Lionel stealthily seizes and occupies St. Edward's chair; we're there too, represented by the names carved into the wood, but then Lionel, speaking for himself, and on behalf of us(the metaphoric interlopers who crashed the seat), incites the king to kick out the Aussie and the transplanted moviegoer out of his rightful place on the coronation chair. In effect, the audience participates in their own marginalization, as they cheer on Birdie's self-realization that he's better than the common man. Expand
  77. Jan 4, 2011
    I'm glad, in the end, that this movie took so long to bring to the screen (the Queen Mother asked it not be made until after her death) because this movie belongs to Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush. Firth has a rare gravitas and elegance to play a royal like few actors alive, and Rush keeps his character slightly off-kilter, without ever slipping into camp or silliness. Bonham-Carter is genius as the Queen Mum - a woman who in life was far from the (figuratively) sterile royal cliche... I like to think of her as a proto-Diana. The movie benefits from the relatively spare set decoration - it would have been so easy to go the usual path and turn the decor into another character... but keeping it wisely in the background, the trio are kept front-and-center, as they should be in a character-driven movie.

You don't have to be a 'film' fan to love this movie. Everyone cheers for an underdog. In sum, this movie lives up to the hype, and coming on the heels of A Single Man and a resume to die for, should firmly cement Firth as one of, if not the, finest actor of his generation.
  78. Lyn
    Jan 4, 2011
    Colin Firth is just as amazing as you've heard. And like a juicy book about historical figures, this film will make you want to find out more about these characters with whom (unless you're a real Anglophile) you might not have been very familiar. In my opinion, not quite as good as "The Queen," however.
  79. Jan 2, 2011
    Prince Albert of York (Colin Firth) had a debilitating stammer that became particularly problematic when he ascended to the throne as King George VI. His loving wife (Helena Bonham Carter) found an upstart speech therapist (Geoffrey Rush) to help him address his fears. Even through the struggles, the story is told with an upbeat slant and plenty of humor. The cast is uniformly strong. The only complaint might be that itâ Expand
  80. Dec 31, 2010
    An absolutely outstanding movie! I cannot remember when an audience spontaneously broke out in applause at the end of a movie! Truly, an incredible film. Kudos to the entire cast and crew! Thank you for making going to the movies fun again!
  81. Dec 31, 2010
    First of all this film is a clinic on dramatic performance. The fact that some of the small supporting roles are filled by talent such as Guy Pearce and Michael Gambon should provide some hint in regards to the quality of this movie. Colin Firth does an extraordinary job of conveying the frustrations of George VI in regards to his family issues as well as being a key public figure who has difficulty speaking. At this point I would be more surprised if Geoffrey Rush didn't deliver a knockout performance but he didn't steal the show the way that I expected him to. I feel that this movie validated my suspicion that Helena Bonham Carter's true acting chops have been smothered as of late by too many Tim Burton/Johnny Depp projects. Not to say that she wasn't excellent in Sweeney Todd but movies such as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Alice in Wonderland didn't allow her to truly shine the way that she does in this outing. There is a lot of subtle humor throughout the film which does a great job of lightening up some of the otherwise dark moments. I feel like the movie was paced just right where other award season trophy grabbing attempts would have stretched the movie out needlessly in an attempt to feign grandiose and significance. Ultimately this movie had all of the elements for an extremely enjoyable film and I would be genuinely surprised if it didn't pick up at least a few pieces of golden hardware this year. Expand
  82. Dec 30, 2010
    It's not often that the audience claps at the end of a film - but The King's Speech is certainly deserving. In addition to the remarkable performances all around, the pacing - not rushed, the cinematography and the brilliant script combine to make this one of the best films of the year (and beyond).
  83. Dec 30, 2010
    After seeing the boring "Tron" and "Narnia" films, I was in the mood for a movie with some real acting in it. I loved this film. I knew that Firth and Rush would be great together, but I was taken by surprise by the cinematography as well. It was fun being inside the castles and palaces. Colin Firth is really on a roll lately, Geoffrey Rush is amazing as always, and the supporting cast is as good as it gets. Highly recommended. Expand
  84. Dec 28, 2010
    The King's Speech is visual stunning with it's fantastic cinematography, dramatic performances from the cast, and it's perfect pacing. The story set back in the early 1930s when World War II was beginning. King George V was serious ill and when he died, he gave the throne to his oldest son. Unfortunately, George's oldest son was dethroned by the Parliment and gave the spot to the next oldest son, (Berty, Colin Firth). Berty became King George VI and carrying on his shoulder the weight of going to war. Giving a wartime speech is clearly very important at the time but it was proven very difficult since Berty had a stammering problem ever since he was little. His wife, Elizabeth, seeked help from a "speech therapist", Lionel (Geoffrey Rush). Although he was helping the king of England, Lionel treats Berty as if he was a normal guy. Earning trust throughout the months from the king, Geoffrey was able to help the king give a decent speech. Predictable, but there wasn't supposed to be any surprises. Colin Firth is perhaps the only actor in Hollywood who can stammer his lines as good as he was in this film. But stammering and pausing in between words isn't going to cut it. Giving an emotional yet humorous performance, Colin Firth has guaranteed himself a spot in this year's Academy Awards. Firth isn't the only one who stood out. His companions Helena Bohem Carter and Geoffrey Rush is probably the best choice for the roles they played. Playing the king's wife and had very little lines, Helena Bohen Carter is still eligible for her second Oscar nomination which she will earn. Geoffrey Rush as a teacher isn't the best idea, but seeing him on screen is gripping in every which way. David Seidler delivered a very top-class script that points towards the Oscars in every direction. Making Colin Firth pausing in between everything he says and Geoffrey Rush's smooth language, Seidler is about to earn himself a first Oscar nomination.
    Tom Hooper directed this without holding back proving himself to be one of the better directors in Hollywood. Making an R-rated film only because of a few F-words shows that he was willing to make the film for what it is, not to get a larger audience. With great knowledge on the era and fantastic style, Tom Hooper is the guy to watch out for.
    Solidly written, beautifully cinematographed, elegantly directed, and perfectly acted, The King's Speech might be the Best Picture contender to look out for (The Social Network).
    OscarBuzz: A lot but here are the major, Best Picture (might win), Best Director (good chance), Best Actor (Colin Firth, might win), Best Supporting Actress (good chance), Best Supporting Actor (Geoffrey Rush, might win), Best Screenplay (good chance) I thought The Social Network was going to definitely win the Best Picture, but after seeing this, I don't know who's going to win anymore. But it is definitely going down to The King's Speech and The Social Network.
  85. Dec 27, 2010
    Let me say this in a simple statement: Tom Hooper's The King's Speech is in my opinion the best film of 2010. Director Tom Hooper's (known for John Adams) The King's Speech is a British period piece depicting the speech impediment of King George IV (Coling Firth). After the death of his father and the scandalous resignation of his brother King Edward VIII, George is abruptly given the royal position. Taking on the country on the brink of World War II, the King, with the help of speech therapist Lionel Lugue (Geoffrey Rush), must overcome his stammer to address a country ready for battle. Let's start with script, The King's Speech is a light-hearted and passionate approach to a small aspect in one of the most major events in history (I am of course referring to World War II). The film's dialogue masterfully combines elements of wit with serious dialogue. The use of Rush as comic relief provides a nice balance between the otherwise grim deterioration of Britain's parliament and the protagonist's struggle to find success. The King's Speech succeeds in combining more than an one-dimensional emotion. Performance-wise, Colin Firth steals the show. Coming from his nomination in A Single Man, Firth returns with an Oscar in mind. Firth plays his role as George VI with apparent repressed emotion and humor that still maintains the character's dignity. Geoffrey Rush, who plays George's speech therapist, and Helena Bolena Carter, the future Queen Mother, respectively deserve a nomination for their support of Firth's character. What makes The King's Speech my "best film of 2010," does not solely lay in its mechanics unlike The Social Network. Rather, the film blends great film making with a story full of inspiration with no cliche present. Firth's character is a character that most will sympathize as we can all see ourselves in King George VI's personal struggle. Although somewhat predictable, The King's Speech will grab you, inspire you, and uplift your soul. Expand
  86. Dec 26, 2010
    Truly a remarkable movie given that the entire story could be told in a sentence or two, and it's largely predictable. Wonderful, wonderful movie that elicited spontaneous applause from the theater at its conclusion.
  87. Dec 22, 2010
    It is hard to find a flaw in a film with an incredible cast delivering award winning performances, beautiful cinematography, direction, costumes and musical score and an interesting story packed with drama, humour and suspense.
  88. Dec 18, 2010
    It isnt very often that a crowd pleasing film and a work of art go hand and hand but led by performances that are sure to be nominated for Academy Awards, "The King's Speech" is delightful and is a wonderful film to see for the holidays.
  89. Dec 14, 2010
    Beautiful story describing the courage and relationship between these two men. The acting and dialog was what you come to see and hear. Such a delight to watch, it brought tears to my eyes.
  90. Dec 10, 2010
    Two acting titans: Rush and Firth; every mature character actor in the UK; Helena!; the Brits do it again. The film was a delight to watch and the viewer is given a wonderful reprieve from the simplistic, the empty,the 3D onslaught!
  91. Dec 8, 2010
    The definitive scene for me is when Bertie breaks down and cries. I can't help but compare it to Firth's brilliant dissolving into tears as George in A Single Man.
    Firth didn't pull out just another crying scene from his bag of acting scenes.
    He's brilliant, Rush's brilliant, HBC perfect.
    Lovely script. Beautiful film that pulls the watcher into the life of Bertie. What he sees. What
    he feels.
    Brilliant all 'roud.
  92. Dec 3, 2010
    Nice conversation. I like it so much.Its really A wonderful story of friendship and how families operate.Really very nice.I have no words to describe it.
  93. Nov 29, 2010
    A wonderful story of friendship and how families operate. Colin Firth delivers another incredible performance, like he seemingly does every year. His relationships with his wife (Carter) and speech therapist (Rush) are so vivid an palpable, and I love how the very rich history is brought to life using their lens. It's also really interesting to get a glimpse into young Queen Elizabeth's life.
  94. Nov 28, 2010
    Great film. Beautifully written, acted and directed. Colin Firth did an amazing job and I couldn't agree more that he deserves a Best Actor nom and Rush a Best Supporting nom. I highly recommend seeing this film or you'll regret it come next March.
  95. Nov 27, 2010
    Brilliant film. They all deserve Oscar nominations!
    The story is true and real.
    The costumes amazing.

Go and see it today.
    Best film of the weekend!

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Dec 24, 2010
    One of the chief reasons that director Tom Hooper's richly produced film works so well is because it operates on so many different levels. The King's Speech is all about layers, and Hooper keeps it humming on several at once.
  2. Reviewed by: Shawn Levy
    Dec 24, 2010
    It's a fine, absorbing work, built with brilliance and without excessive showiness or flash. It feels, in fact, like a classic virtually upon its arrival.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Dec 24, 2010
    It's a "keep calm, carry on" wartime melodrama of the first order, and stiff though it may be, it is never less than brilliantly done.