Weinstein Company, The | Release Date: November 26, 2010
8.3
Universal acclaim based on 725 Ratings
WATCH NOW
BathmatFeb 10, 2011
Oh, come on. A movie without action doesn't mean it's bad. The script is very well written, the cast act so well both together and independently and they managed to pull of such a weird sounding plot very well. Why a 9? I know it's based onOh, come on. A movie without action doesn't mean it's bad. The script is very well written, the cast act so well both together and independently and they managed to pull of such a weird sounding plot very well. Why a 9? I know it's based on true events, but they could've gone into more detail with the ending. I never got bored once in this movie, and that is really saying something. Expand
JonnyFendiFeb 10, 2011
Giving a public speech has always been difficult thing to do for most of people. Not everyone could deliver it well, you could simply change your job if it did not suit you, but what if you are a King and everybody waiting and expectGiving a public speech has always been difficult thing to do for most of people. Not everyone could deliver it well, you could simply change your job if it did not suit you, but what if you are a King and everybody waiting and expect something from you. King George VI is the father of Queen Elizabeth II. Thiz is the story about early years of his reign in 1920-1940s. For his difficulty of public speaking, to heal his stammer, he hired an Australian Speech Therapist, Lionel Logue (Geoffrey Rush) through some unorthodox techniques. Later, in addition to that process they bound to some manhood relationships and find greater meaning in life. The movie directed by Tom Hooper who is known for a movie about the famous Football Club, Leeds United in THE DAMNED UNITED (2009). In thiz film, he used many unusual styles. The cinematography is interesting, in one moment he putting the face of the characters precise in middle of the screen, leaving significant unusual distance. In another moment, he puts the object precisely in the lower left of the screen. Most of the time, everything looks even different, he provides three dimensional view with his concave perspective. It is eccentric but works quite well. Those techniques emphasize the honesty and integrity through its story-telling. But the element that makes thiz movie works really well, it is Colin Firth who is transforming his body and soul to be Duke of York or better known as King George VI. I can feel his effort and weakness clearly in his complex character. No doubt is one of Firth best performances of all-time. The other great role that deserves to be mentioned is Helena Bonham Carter as his wife, Queen Elizabeth. Thiz is one of the rare times I find that she could be so normal, after her previous roles that were mostly gothic. Guy Pearce is quite convincing too as his older brother who was forced to abdicate, Edward VIII. The small but interesting role also comes from Timothy Spall as Winston Churchill. Last time, the Director Tom Hooper lifted incredible story about football, he did not get much attention although it was a great movie as well. Now with the same quality of work, plus extraordinary performance from Colin Firth, he surely will get more attention than before. That is the difference when you take the story between football and real monarchy. It needs a great speech to be a great leader, but it needs a great Heart to be a great King.

Visit My Blog on JONNYâ
juliankleissJan 28, 2011
Great acting in a beautifully produced film. Watch it!
bluemilkJan 8, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 8 t´s terrific, that movie is probably excelent and for my, it´s better than socil network. the acting of ruch, the charactor s have shown how mature they are, and the story is absolutely beatiful! Outstanding. and better thn all that 3d crab . Expand
simlew86Jan 13, 2011
Simply superb. It's hard to fault a film that is shot so beautifully, scripted so eloquently and performed breathtakingly across the board. I'm not usually a fan of period dramas, but Tom Hooper has expertly crafted an emotional fable with aSimply superb. It's hard to fault a film that is shot so beautifully, scripted so eloquently and performed breathtakingly across the board. I'm not usually a fan of period dramas, but Tom Hooper has expertly crafted an emotional fable with a fine balance of witty humour and heart wrenching moments. There is simply nothing to criticise, from the awkward opening to the rousing finale, the King's Speech is a delight to behold throughout. Firth naturally delivers a sublime performance, but the support is as equally magnificent. Helena Bonham Carter and Geoffrey Rush especially simply chew up scenery whenever on screen. Their relationships with the stammering King George a constant highlight. The first film I've seen this year, and what a fine way to begin a year of film. Expand
MalasawasFeb 12, 2011
Well... just by giving a 10 out of 10, do I have to say more? Do I have to spell it out for you? At this point it really doesn't matter what I'm gonna say but what you've seen... this movie shows what effort can do... to be more redundantWell... just by giving a 10 out of 10, do I have to say more? Do I have to spell it out for you? At this point it really doesn't matter what I'm gonna say but what you've seen... this movie shows what effort can do... to be more redundant (according to this topic, of course)... this movie is shouting every possible emotion on every character, and believe me, there was no problem on talking here.
Colin Firth, keeps surprising me with every movie he takes part in. But, talking just in this case, what an amazing performance! Shyness, bad temper, impotence, medical problems, self-concience issues, past traumas, inexperience in some cases, and that sense of great responsability (it resembles to Lion King's Simba for this kind of feeling, ''I cannot be what I am''), all these feelings gathered and mixed in a chaotic way within Colin's character, and every one of them better than the other you've just seen. Perfect, in each and every single way to say it, JUST SAY IT: PERFECT PERFORMANCE, TOTALLY CHAOTICALLY PERFECT. Colin, you've got the whole responsability with your character, and madly well done.
Geoffrey Rush takes a lot in this movie too, I'm not forgeting him. Of course no. He keeps this chaotic mixture and tranforms it into a perfectly done puzzle of a great King image. A great performance too. Good man, good job! And of course Helena B.Carter, of course... the most believable serious character she've ever done! At first it was such a weird thing to know he was nominated for her supporting role here, because she was always as crazy (in the good way) as Tim Burton... you know what I mean. But here, unstoppable. Like a perfect royal lady must be.
Music made by the same compositor from the last 2/3 Harry Potter movies (Alexandre Desplat) who is new at this. But he's growing, day by day. Such a good job too.
No doubts, 12 oscars belong here... KING SIZE.
snow_walkerJan 17, 2011
Saw this in an old movie theatre in North London with a very respectful audience, average age 50, where it was respectfully received and much appreciated - albeit without spontaneous applause. All concerned, Firth, Rush, Bonham-Carter, HooperSaw this in an old movie theatre in North London with a very respectful audience, average age 50, where it was respectfully received and much appreciated - albeit without spontaneous applause. All concerned, Firth, Rush, Bonham-Carter, Hooper did a superb job. One of the best of the year. Expand
massimo22Jan 17, 2011
THe thing that I most liked was the acting and sarcasm out of both...the film is a very slow plotted one but still is worth watching. The direction is very peculiar and appropriate for the pacing of the movie. Drama, laughter, rage and pity.
mikaJan 18, 2011
Great movie!!! Wonderful acting, beautiful story and director Tom Hooper did a great job. Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush are brilliant and I highly recommend this movie before Oscar!!
LukuzzJan 24, 2011
I genuinely didn't think I would like this film but I was wrong. The connection between the two lead male actors and brilliant Helena. The film was heart warming and also very funny. It was also great to see a true story that isn't overlyI genuinely didn't think I would like this film but I was wrong. The connection between the two lead male actors and brilliant Helena. The film was heart warming and also very funny. It was also great to see a true story that isn't overly dramatized and takes away the realness, at times it seemed as though I was watching a intriguing documentary. Very good. Expand
Stephmeister02Jan 20, 2011
This was a great story and I'm glad it was told. The three primary actors, Geoffrey Rush, Colin Firth, and Helena Bonham Carter, were amazing. Colin Firth, especially. Colin Firth's performance was one of the best of the year, for sure.
OpheelyahJan 23, 2011
Wonderful movie. Sensational acting from Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush. It has everything, humour, drama, history and most of all entertainment. If it doesn't win awards there is definitely something wrong.
Catizinha594Feb 18, 2011
There is no doubt, that one of the main reasons for this film to be so famous is because of the performances of the actors, who were, let me say, splendid. The king that cannot give a decent speech in front of his people, goes to a miraculousThere is no doubt, that one of the main reasons for this film to be so famous is because of the performances of the actors, who were, let me say, splendid. The king that cannot give a decent speech in front of his people, goes to a miraculous speech therapist that helps him get his voice to lead the nation into war. The acting isnâ Expand
hollowayJan 31, 2011
It's no mean task to get an audience on the side of a member of the privileged British aristocracy, but masterful screenwriting, acting and direction conspire to ensure just that. A small, very personal story on a grand scale.
PendragonFeb 1, 2011
A certain dramatic and comedic license was adopted for the outstanding film, "The King's Speech", with Mr Logue's grandchildren remarking that the King's unorthodox but highly effective speech therapist never swore in front of the King orA certain dramatic and comedic license was adopted for the outstanding film, "The King's Speech", with Mr Logue's grandchildren remarking that the King's unorthodox but highly effective speech therapist never swore in front of the King or ever addressed him by his intimate family name of "Bertie." Geoffrey Rush brilliantly portrays a brash, irreverently witty and staunchly egalitarian Australian healer, unabashed by the elevated status of his patient, sympathetically and convincingly rendered by Colin Firth, as the tormented and acutely shy Duke of York, who stood at the apex of the British aristocracy. The film is engrossing, compelling, poignant and enjoyable.

The actual historical facts, though, also bear some objective examination. The real Lionel George Logue (1880-1953) was born in Adelaide, South Australia, and, after leaving School, studied elocution, music and theatrical acting. He even worked for a time in a gold mine in Kalgoorlie. A Christian Scientist, with some Methodist influences, he devoted himself to healing - treating World War One returned soldiers suffering from shell-shock induced speech impediments. From 1924, he practised speech therapy in Harley Street, London, using fees paid by wealthy clients to accept poorer patients free of charge.

In 1926, the Duke of York consulted him about the Duke's painfully severe stammer. Logue diagnosed poor coordination between larynx and diaphragm, giving the Duke rigorous exercises for one hour's duration each day. Using tongue-twisters, Logue helped the Duke to rehearse his major speeches and coached him for his Coronation in 1937, following the enormously disruptive abdication of Edward VII the previous year, a crisis which almost brought down the British Monarchy itself.

King George VI, as the former Duke became, made Logue a Member of the Royal Victorian Order (MVO) in 1937 and elevated him to the rank of Commander (CVO) in 1944. Logue attended the King for the V E Day broadcast on 8 May 1945. Both men retained a friendship for the rest of their lives - with Lionel Logue dying in London on 12 April 1953 (being survived by his three sons) and with the King dying a little more than a year earlier on 6 February 1952 (being survived by his widow and two daughters, one of whom being the present Queen Elizabeth II.)

The totally unexpected accession to the throne by King George VI, who never saw himself as being King in the place of his brother, "David" or Edward VII, depicted the ethical differences between the two brothers. The Duke of Windsor, as he became, was something of a self-indulgent, willful and shallow playboy, who threw everything away for Mrs Wallis Simpson, an American divorcee with a talent for collecting wealthy husbands and who was detested for the rest of her life by the remaining House of Windsor. The Duke of Windsor's hope of an eventual reconciliation with his own family was never realized and he was to spend the rest of his life, aimlessly wandering Europe with his domineering paramour, until his death. His brother, King George VI, resolutely shouldered the burden of ruling Britain during the darkest days of World War Two and accepted his elevation to the Monarchy with a courageous sense of duty, however much he dreaded the responsibilities he was expected to discharge. A heavy smoker, his death was caused by a lung cancer related heart attack. His heiress and successor, Queen Elizabeth II, throughout the five decades and more of her own reign, has drawn upon the example of selfless duty and hard work set for her by her late father.

Much of the King's effective implementation of his role is perhaps due to the unconventional but healing practices of his Australian rescuer who took on perhaps the most important task any citizen of the British Dominions could perform during the 1930s and 1940s - that of encouraging the King to encourage his subjects. This film celebrates that commitment and that accomplishment.
nc_jjFeb 1, 2011
"The King's Speech" is an amazing story that is full of great performances an amazing screenplay and brilliant, skillful direction. This is, simply, a movie not to be missed!
dancesfloFeb 10, 2011
This is a powerful and deeply moving story, told against the backdrop of a critical juncture in modern history, of the emergence of a deep friendship out of a professional relationship between two men who would otherwise never have sociallyThis is a powerful and deeply moving story, told against the backdrop of a critical juncture in modern history, of the emergence of a deep friendship out of a professional relationship between two men who would otherwise never have socially interacted. The screenplay, written by David Seidler (who also wrote Tucker: The Man and his Dream), is excellent. Expand
GilgafishFeb 11, 2011
Truly a great movie. The King's Speech has never made me want to learn more about history than ever! I try to watch a variety of films and it seems that the historical/informative ones seem to pull me into the plot the most.
Critic_PleaseFeb 12, 2011
A brilliant story that speaks in fewer words. It is a humanizing of even the highest of class. Portraying the beauty in the stiffness of English regality. And yet, the unconquerable human drive to face even the most intimidating personalA brilliant story that speaks in fewer words. It is a humanizing of even the highest of class. Portraying the beauty in the stiffness of English regality. And yet, the unconquerable human drive to face even the most intimidating personal insecurities. A will to conquer and a leader to truly drive a nation. Go see it. This drama has heart, not glitz, and message that needs to be remembered. Expand
asthobaskoroFeb 17, 2011
Such a beautiful movie, beautiful soundtrack by Alexander Desplat and totally brilliant and touching performance by Colin Firth. Beautiful biopic about King George VI. Tom Hooper is great but I think it's not amazing movie but a beautiful movie
NunoBispoFeb 14, 2011
Very pleasant movie. Great script and storyboard. Great screenplay and scenes. Excellent acting performances from Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush. It's a marvelous movie based upon actual historical facts, but in my opinion never the win theVery pleasant movie. Great script and storyboard. Great screenplay and scenes. Excellent acting performances from Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush. It's a marvelous movie based upon actual historical facts, but in my opinion never the win the Oscar nominated for Best Movie. Expand
LeysGeddesFeb 16, 2011
Please go to YouTube, search for The King's Speech and you'll find my review: 'The King's Speech - a stammerer's view'. I'm the non-celebrity in the bright blue shirt and, like King George VI, I stammer!
Derek666Feb 17, 2011
I just love the depth of character Colin what's his name? brings to the title roll. Yet again a film worthy of all the applauds and more .
P.S
I haven't seen it yet ! Don't want to spoil my image I have of Colin what's his name?.
MilkDudFeb 22, 2011
Possibly the best movie I have ever seen in quite awhile. I do not like sitting through English flicks and was not looking forward to watching this one. I savored every moment and was surprised when it ended. It blew me away that is forPossibly the best movie I have ever seen in quite awhile. I do not like sitting through English flicks and was not looking forward to watching this one. I savored every moment and was surprised when it ended. It blew me away that is for sure. I predict hands down - Colin Firth best actor - and this movie wins best for the Oscars. Expand
j30Sep 20, 2011
Colin Firth gives a solid performance in this rich, historical drama about King George VI's rise to the throne, which gained him his first Oscar win. However, I liked his performance in A Single Man much better. Geoffrey Rush steals the showColin Firth gives a solid performance in this rich, historical drama about King George VI's rise to the throne, which gained him his first Oscar win. However, I liked his performance in A Single Man much better. Geoffrey Rush steals the show and makes this overrated movie worth watching. Expand
geo333Oct 31, 2015
With an Outstanding performance from Colin Firth and the supporting cast; The King' Speech is wonderful film that brings to life an incredible story to a perfection.In the end the praise for this movie is justified and rightly rewarded.
sreekiranApr 27, 2011
story is excellent. screenplay is almost perfect. direction is awesome. cast performances are splendid. climax is motivating. cinematography is eye popping. camera work is ok. music is rare and soothing in the climax. everything is perfect instory is excellent. screenplay is almost perfect. direction is awesome. cast performances are splendid. climax is motivating. cinematography is eye popping. camera work is ok. music is rare and soothing in the climax. everything is perfect in this. just a hinch of hiccups in screenplay during the second half beginning. comments: slight hiccups in screenplay and not perfect camera movement. Expand
MikePushkinMar 5, 2011
Very interesting movie to watch! Never knew much about British leadership before WWII, but this movie inspired me to find out. Interesting experience for those who want to find out some things more about World's history.
JacobMay 12, 2013
Overall “The King’s Speech” is a great movie. The story is entertaining and the actors do a fantastic job bringing the characters to life. When you bring in the fact that this movie is based off of a true story you have the stage set for aOverall “The King’s Speech” is a great movie. The story is entertaining and the actors do a fantastic job bringing the characters to life. When you bring in the fact that this movie is based off of a true story you have the stage set for a great movie that truly deserves some attention. The lighting, camera work, and costumes help contribute to the setting and create a wonderful environment. All of these elements are the reason why I enjoyed “The Kings Speech” it didn’t pull my heartstrings but it kept me entertained and it will do the same for you. Expand
Forrestgump1Mar 12, 2011
"Truly Moving , uplifting , and completely brilliant from start to a glorious finish. Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush give the best performances of there career. Immersible and stylishly clever , Kings Speech will have you interested and loving"Truly Moving , uplifting , and completely brilliant from start to a glorious finish. Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush give the best performances of there career. Immersible and stylishly clever , Kings Speech will have you interested and loving the film , by closing credits" .. A++ Expand