8.3

1. Apr 10, 2014
    Quite a good film indeed. Colin Firth kicks ass and takes names as King George VI and it is truly no wonder that he won Best Actor. Throughout the film, I could not help but marvel at Firth's amazing performance and he really caries this one on his shoulders. Beyond him, the film is a very nice period drama with pitch perfect art and costume direction that really define the era that is covered here. Geoffrey Rush also did a very good job here, though I cannot help but think he almost got overshadowed by Firth's powerhouse performance in the lead role. The film also does a good job making us feel sympathy for the King as he struggles with this debilitating speech impediment that prevents him from being able to speak to his nation as he should.

In terms of negatives, this one has a couple which prevent me from giving it a higher score. First off, it is incredibly slow. The final 15-20 minutes are gold and exactly what we are waiting for, but, while everything before certainly has its moments, it certainly drags a fair bit. I was never bored, but it was troublesome to say the least. Also, this one does not strike me as a film with a lot of replay value. I watched it and now what? If this one is on television or what not, I do not really envision myself stopping and having to watch it again. Regardless, it is quite a good film and it is not hard to see why it did so well at the Oscars.
  2. Mar 7, 2014
    This movie is near perfection. Winner of four Oscars rightfully so, you will not be disappointed after watching this. An incredible true story of a man trying to get over his stammer and fear of public speaking which many people can easily relate to. The cinematography is absolutely amazing and really makes you feel nervous for him while watching the film. In terms of acting, everyone in the movie is brilliant especially Firth in the leading role. Overall this is one of the best movies I have ever seen and is the highest rating I have ever given on Metacritic. 91.3 out of 100. Expand
  3. Sep 19, 2013
    With Firth's believable stutter and great acting, The King's Speech remains one of the best movies in recent years. Just the execution of such a simple idea at the core is amazing, and Director Tom Hooper is to be credited to the fullest for such a noteworthy film.
  4. Jun 20, 2013
    Boring,dull,lifeless picture about a guy who shudders. Pretty good ending but the rest of the movie was a drag. Firth does his best with the acting. But I can't get over the fact that this is universal acclaim. A man who studders and can't do a speech. I don't get it.
  5. Jun 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. any movie is defined by the idea behind it or the story based on,
    in this movie we don't have an idea, we have a story,
    the problem is the story is limited,
    so there is a major element lacking from the movie, the story is one-sided, short story stretched into a two hours movie,
    and of course everything have good side and a bad side,
    the good side is that the execution is perfect,Colin Firth was very good and the directing was perfect.
    and the bad side is that the entire story is about shining a light on people with speech impediment and a royal family members with flaws, and this is as far as the movie can go,
    not saying it's bad but didn't worth the hype.
  6. May 15, 2013
    The King's Speech is a film with visual magnificently well done a great photo and a great soundtrack and a strong direction, but will also praise for the cast to give a show of interpretation, including Colin Firth gave that show.
  7. May 12, 2013
    Overall “The King’s Speech” is a great movie. The story is entertaining and the actors do a fantastic job bringing the characters to life. When you bring in the fact that this movie is based off of a true story you have the stage set for a great movie that truly deserves some attention. The lighting, camera work, and costumes help contribute to the setting and create a wonderful environment. All of these elements are the reason why I enjoyed “The Kings Speech” it didn’t pull my heartstrings but it kept me entertained and it will do the same for you. Expand
  8. May 12, 2013
    I cant understand the point that the movie is boring and there is no action.
    The speech at the end was for preparing a whole nation for the second world war.So its pretty serious stuff.
    And i hate this guys who give Fast and the Furios a score of 10 and this film a 0 ranking!
    Its pretty annoying me.
    To the movie:Colin Firth was not overplayed.He made a very got job.And Geoffrey Rush
    played also well.
    Because ist a historic movie i was worried that its to hauling.But my fear was not correct and i really enjoyed the film at every part.There were no lengths and the performances get me hooked.
    So i give it a 9 from 10.
  9. Apr 14, 2013
    The King's Speech was a very inspirational movie in showing one of the best examples in history of someone overcoming their speech impediment for the gain of an entire nation.
  10. Apr 7, 2013
    I'm not seeing what all the hype is about. Sure, there are some funny moments and superb acting but the whole story, events, excitement etc. are all lacking. The King's Speech does what it sets out to do very well, but that's not saying much given how it doesn't try to do anything at all. There's no actual tangible content which makes this film worth watching. Only those who get emotional over absolutely everything can enjoy this film in my opinion. No action, no excitement, no laughter. Just plain boring. Expand
  11. Feb 28, 2013
    One watches movies to be entertained. Apart from a few heart wrenching scenes in which the lead is stuck in a stutter and embarrasses himself, the movie was a drag and got really boring, except for an occasional funny line here and there. The editing is the real culprit here. The audience has been attuned to fast paced dramas and anything slowing the narrative has no place in modern film and literature. If a movie is this long, it should offer more than just some scenes about a person practicing his lines for a speech, which would have been understood with just a few scenes, for we're not stupid. Back story and character development for the main character was lacking. If they were hellbent to stick to just showing the king stutter over and over, and offer no explanations and character depth, the length could have been cut a lot. True Grit, The Social Network and Inception were better movies, and every one of them deserved Best Picture more than this one. Expand
  12. Feb 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A fine film. The acting is good, so is the directing, the camera, the cinematography, the music, the costume design, set design, editing... all of it is good. The story was a great story. Why a 6 then? In a paradoxical way, just because of the above. It is good but not great. And worst of all: everything is predictable. No surprises ever come. 1) A disabled tormented man who shouldn't have to be King is actually going to be King. 2) He suffers from a stutter no one can help him cure. 3) Until he meets with an unorthodox yet far superior to any specialist in the Kingdom therapist that helps him. 4) Astonishing progress from day one. 5) We see them work. 6) They have an argument and stop seeing each other. 7) They make peace and work again. 8) Big day comes and everything works out great. The movie is just that linear and predictable. So I didn't dislike it. But I didn't like it. Expand
  13. Jan 5, 2013
    This wonderful film is about the true story of how the Duke of York was stammerer and got help from an Australian speech therapist who believed that doctor techniques were stupid. Geoffrey Rush and Colin Firth both have strong performances not to mention a good performance by Helena Bonham Carter. It is amazing how he was before the speech therapist and how well he did with the speech therapist.
  14. Dec 8, 2012
    Absolutely fantastic film! The story is so touching, and the actors truly portray the characters to perfection. Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter, Guy Pearce, they all deliver such strong and realistic performances; the audience simply falls in love with each character, making the story that much more touching. Colin Firth really gives a brilliant performance. He really does a good job of showing the conflict and emotions of the character. I really loved the scene where he cries......great acting. A great performance; I can't wait to see him holding the Oscar for Best Actor, he deserves it.

The King's Speech is one of the most touching, emotional, and heart felt movies I have seen. Basically, you just need to see it for yourself. It truly is a brilliant film that has everything, even some humor. I thought this movie would be drowned out by the brilliant "The Social Network," but it closed out the year taking home the Oscars for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Actor! A wonderful film!
  15. Nov 28, 2012
    Pristinely written and acted, "The King's Speech" is an uplifting, culturally significant drama with a wholesome message grounded in its center.
  16. Nov 26, 2012
    Brilliant, exciting and perfectly cast, The King's Speech is one of my favorite movies ever. Top 5 easily. For a movie with very little action, per se, it moves quickly. The characters are memorable and fantastic in this story of the British move toward a second world war. Best Colin Firth ever. Best Geoffrey Rush ever. Just beautiful.
  17. Nov 22, 2012
    Untouchable acting imo that makes the movie worth watching for that point alone. I think the story is great and really touching as well. Some people simply do not get it I guess. A must see imo.
  18. Jul 5, 2012
    If you are wondering why this movie won best picture along with other three other Oscars then you have not yet seen it. The movie is about King George VI becoming king and his problems with his speech. He is second in line to become the King of England, his brother is above him. At the beginning of the movie he begins by stammering on a speech. You clearly get to see the problems he has when he speaks. His speech problem is not stage fright because it even happens when he tells his daughter's stories. His wife (Bellatrix from the movie series of Harry Potter) tries to find a solution for her husband. One attempt is holding marbles in his mouth and trying to speak (a doctor suggests this). After this falls George goes to a different doctor where the story of friendship begins. His new speech therapist has many exercises for George to perform. It gives you goosebumps the first time you are watching it and the king realize that the doctor was right about the music (watch it and you will know what I mean). Later in the movie George's brother decided to give up the throne of England so he can marry a divorce United States woman that still has husbands living (this is against the Church of England). George then becomes the kind of England and is fear of having to talk publicly becomes reality. Before when he was duke he does not have to speak on such of a global scale. Know that he has become king he will know have to give many more speeches. The Kings Speech gets its name from speech George address to the public. Thanks to his practice with his new founded friend the speech therapist, he succeeds in giving the speech without stammering (except for once; so that the audience knows it was really him giving the speech). Expand
  19. Jun 1, 2012
    Refreshingly good movie about a topic that the public knows little about. Although the story doesn't have much historical truth to it as much of the tale is completely made up - still it is good enought to believe that two people could work so hard together through such an ordeal.
  20. Mar 26, 2012
    No matter how masterful the acting was, this movie just didn't wow me. The movie took time and care to make sure every aspect of the film was excellent, however, the script, just put me to sleep. The ending was riveting the first time I saw it, but hardly moved me at all the second time around. I don't dislike this film, but giving it best picture was such a discernment. BOOOOO.
  21. Mar 24, 2012
    The King's Speech has its moments like the powerful ending but the movie is in low gear until the last 15 mintues. yawning is something you won't escape from in this film and that is were the movie goes wrong.
  22. Jan 26, 2012
    To be burdened with holding supreme power, status, and authority of a monarch must not be an easy task. Throw a speech impediment into the mix and the result would surely be near impossible. That's what George VI, otherwise known as "the Reluctant Kingâ
  23. Jan 16, 2012
    There is a reason why Colin Firth won Best Actor and there is a reason why this movie won Best Picture. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. One of the greatest films made in a long time.
  24. Jan 13, 2012
    The King Speech is an unique movie because is about a man dealing with problems looking for a solution, and that makes it very close to everyday life. Which adds strength to the movie is that this man is the King of England during the interwar period, and his problem is stuttering. But the King is not alone; he has a determined wife, who wont rest until her husband is completely cured. Because of this, the couple goes to visit an unconventional speech therapist that is also a failed interpreter of Shakespeare. Here lies the brightness of the film, because of a doubled sided situation, irony and reality struggle and work together to take the plot all the way to the climax.
    With excellent direction, strong script, unbelievable performances and occasional jokes, the movie keeps you hooked for almost two hours. Its also remarkable the form in which self improvement and team work, leads to overcome a disability; which, by the way, is awfully hard to develop in a movie. And if you add to this, the evolution of a character with a repressed past, to one that can manage an entire country; you get an Academy Award winner.
  25. Jan 8, 2012
    Geoffrey Rush is charming! Full of wit, humor and humility. Decent enough to take a real period piece film seriously without being to Hollywood blockbuster. Firth makes character likable. Both are adoring. Long live
  26. Jan 6, 2012
    Encantador retrato de la vida de un rey y la forma de superar sus problemas personales y reales quedas satisfecho momentos hilarantes y grandes actuaciones de las mejores películas del año
  27. Dec 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Displaying a gorgeous cinematography, mesmerizing performances and an engaging story, "The King's Speech" is certainly a crowd pleaser. But will all that appeal compensate the predictable and simple plot? I think so. Even tough there's no challenge situation that can impress us, Colin Firth is perfect at making us care about the King's situation. Expand
  28. Dec 1, 2011
    Its easily one of the greatest films of all time. The acting is simply amazing and Colin Firth is an amazing lead for this film. I highly recommend it.
  29. Nov 26, 2011
    Easily one of the greatest films you will ever see. Sadly though people are shallow and dont see the bigger picture that the film represents. The acting was wonderful and the entire film was simply a master piece.
  30. USG
    Nov 21, 2011
    This is a fascinating story told in a unique perspective with a distinct, admirable style of cinematography that is memorable. It's surprising to see what can be accomplished with such a budget.
  31. Nov 17, 2011
    This is one movie that I simply did my best to try to like, but it wasn't enough. I just didn't enjoy it. It was really slow at times and even though there were some good/okay parts, the rest is just pure unenjoyable content. I will say I liked some of the acting, and the film's cinematography was gorgeous. I'm not saying it's the worst film ever made, this is just one film I respectfully dislike.
  32. Nov 3, 2011
    Another great addition to the category of period dramas. Masterfully acted by Colin Firth and with an impressive supporting cast, The King's Speech is Oscar gold. 4/4 stars.
  33. Oct 28, 2011
    Simply put, it is one of the best films of the past decade. The thing that stood out to me the most was the absolutely superb performances by everyone in the cast, across the line. Obviously, Firth, Bonham Carter, and Rush were exquisite and definitely deserved their Oscar nominations (and Firth his win). Subtle, yet beautiful performance by everyone that create strong connections between the characters and audience. The screenplay was written beautifully and is quite refreshingly funny and endearing, something that historic dramas often struggle with. Technically, also, the film was top-notch, with excellence in art design and costumes, but also some beautiful cinematography and an amazing score by the always brilliant Alexandre Desplat. "The King's Speech" has it all - brilliance in writing, performance and technique, which is anything and everything a film could wish for. BRAVO! Expand
  34. j30
    Sep 20, 2011
    Colin Firth gives a solid performance in this rich, historical drama about King George VI's rise to the throne, which gained him his first Oscar win. However, I liked his performance in A Single Man much better. Geoffrey Rush steals the show and makes this overrated movie worth watching.
  35. Sep 18, 2011
    The movie is rich and profound with top notch cinematography, with powerful acting by Collin Firth and Geoffrey Rush. The best picture winner was certainly chosen. However, I was disappointed to see the Brit king having no real plot twists or obstacles that could have transformed the movie into a engaging one.
  36. Sep 15, 2011
    Le Discours d'un roi, voilà le film inattendu de cette année! Avec un concept original (bien que réel) et des têtes connues, ce long-métrage aurait seulement suscité la curiosité de plusieurs personnes. Mais c'était sans compter sur le charme du film. Un charme qui provient notamment de l'excellente prestation de chaque acteur (Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter, Guy Pearce, Derek Jacobi...), de la bande originale d'Alexandre Desplat, des dialogues et de la reconstitution de l'époque (décors, costumes, accessoires...). Mais surtout, le film doit son charisme à son ambiance, qui en restant d'une sobriété incroyable parvient tout du long à dégager une extraordinaire puissance, rendant cette histoire et ces personnages merveilleusement attachants. Le Discours d'un Roi, le film à ne pas manquer, sous aucun prétexte! Expand
  37. Sep 9, 2011
    The acting was superb. It's a very moving story and you realize it just in time for the end. I simply loved it, actually there's not much more to say.
  38. Aug 20, 2011
    This movie was absolutely fantastic. Heartwarming, with an unforgettable academy award winning performance from colin firth, and a very funny and charming geoffry rush, along with the also charming helena bonahm carter, The King's Speech succeeds with a great script from david seidler, three brilliant performances, and beautiful direction from tom hooper. The 2nd best film of 2010 besides david fincher's "The Social Network" the only reason this movie gets a 9 is because I think it's trying to much to be a oscar movie, unlike the social network. But still very satisfying. But it did not deserve best picture and diretcor. Those should have gone to The Social Network. But still very heartwarming and enjoyable. Expand
  39. Aug 14, 2011
    I never was a fan of dramas so I didn't have high expectations for this movie. But then this turned out to be one of the greatest films I ever watched. Colin Firth gave one of the best performances I've ever seen. I can see why he won Best Actor at the Oscars. I highly recommend this movie to anyone and everyone. A pure masterpiece.
  40. Aug 11, 2011
    This film is just amazing, a great performance from Colin Firth which was definitely worthy of his Oscar. Also an outstanding performance from Geoffrey Rush, the supporting rolls are also done exceptionally well to, like the rolls portrayed by Helena Bonham Carter, Guy Pearce, and Michael Gambon. This film is one of the best I've ever seen.
  41. Aug 10, 2011
    A success this big only comes when you bring three of the best active British actors together to make an extremely British movie. Its sets are beautifully detailed and the scenes between Firth and Rush show great chemistry, as well
  42. Jul 20, 2011
    The incredible acting of Firth and Rush compel us through this interesting and touching historical drama. From the simplistic beauty of the sets to the enchanting score, this is monumental cinema and a true example at how the British Film Industry is far from death - it is, in fact, at its pinnacle.
  43. Jul 12, 2011
    The King's Speech is a wonderful film about a man finding his voice when the world needed to hear it most, but that's only the plot as it may be described at a more superficial level. Deeper themes on friendship, confidence, self-worth, love, respect, and hard work are all highlighted in this touching and powerful instant classic that's sure to speak to every viewer who has ever suffered through any physical, mental, or emotional shortcomings and fought to overcome. Supported by a witty, meaningful, and self-assured script; strong direction; great sets and costuming; seamless performances; and impeccable intangibles; The King's Speech is a complete film, a modern masterpiece with old fashioned sensibilities and a timeless message that's sure to live on for decades to come. Expand
  44. Jul 10, 2011
    Yes, the acting was great and deserving of an oscar, the story was not. This was a fine movie if you are not looking for any real climax and enjoy a very slow pace, this film is an intricate look at an individual's struggle with public speaking. There are no real highs or lows, nothing that is particularly dramatic and therefore was relatively flat, the acting was excellent and there was just enough of a script to keep you watching without losing interest. If going to movies is about entertainment and walking out ot the theater feeling like you had seen a memorable film this is not one of those. I could never see myself watching this movie again, this does not mean that it was bad, just that it was your typical "Picture of the Year". Expand
  45. Jul 3, 2011
    This was a very good movie. Thought it focuses more on character developement over plot, that's understandable because it's based off a true story. I'm glad it won best picture.
  46. Jun 17, 2011
    Fantastic, this is movie making at it's best. The acting is impeccable, from the leads to all the supporting. Colin Firth gives the quintessential George IV. Rush and Carter are tremendous Of course these fine performances would be wasted without David Seidler's screenplay and Tom Hooper's light hand directing such fine stars. He allows them to fully immerse themselves in their characters and brings the audience in with their performances. Brilliant. Expand
  47. Jun 16, 2011
    Driven by strong performances by Firth, Rush, and Bonham-Carter, the King's Speech is by far the best film of 2010. The score is incredibly rich and emotional. The set is restricted and narrow, and gives one the feeling of what George VI is going through. This is a superb period piece, and a great biopic. It deserves all the awards that it one, especially the Oscar for Best Picture. Not seeing The King's Speech will be the biggest cinematic mistake of your life. Expand
  48. May 31, 2011
    This film will enjoy but that does not make his good performances brilliant believe they have the ability to hide the poor quality of direcion by Tom Hooper, the film has a nice stance
  49. May 31, 2011
    The transformation of Firth's character in the final act is amazing to watch! We go from an incredibly terrified Royal to a very proud man. Rush gives another excellent performance, perhaps better than Firth?
  50. Apr 30, 2011
    Isn't it weird how this movie was rated R yet Battle: Los Angeles wasn't?
  51. Apr 27, 2011
    story is excellent. screenplay is almost perfect. direction is awesome. cast performances are splendid. climax is motivating. cinematography is eye popping. camera work is ok. music is rare and soothing in the climax. everything is perfect in this. just a hinch of hiccups in screenplay during the second half beginning. comments: slight hiccups in screenplay and not perfect camera movement.
  52. Apr 20, 2011
    I think the right word for the movie is moving. As I watched I really felt as though Firth really was struggling, and to watch the transformation from beginning to end is just an experience you really won't want to miss. Some may argue that the subject matter is dry, and I would argue the opposite. You have characters who develop throughout the movie and you are really shown how the development of those characters plays out. A must see! Expand
  53. Apr 13, 2011
    This one was as good as advertised.
    NOT an action movie by a long shot.
    This movie gives this Royal a sense of human frailty to the viewer.
    Firth and Rush do a phenomenal job!
    Great script, great acting what this movie needed was a few more sunny days, but that is England's weather for you.
  54. Apr 9, 2011
    An impeccably well crafted film that tells the remarkable true story about the relationship between King George VI and his speech therapist. Due to constant embarrassment from his stammer, George VI seeks professional help and finds Lionel Logue, a self-declared speech therapist. Logue works hard to rid George of his impediment, albeit in an unorthodox manner, and they form a teacher-monarch relationship that serves as the heart of the film.
    Not exactly groundbreaking work, but certainly inspired, "The King's Speech" is a lavish English drama that showcases a brilliant performance from the always charming Colin Firth. His attention to detail, especially in the scenes with Geoffrey Rush, is really what makes this biopic much more heartfelt and believable than some others I have seen lately. A terrific supporting cast, highlighted by performances from Rush and Helena Bonham Carter, along with the cinematography and that beautiful score from Desplat make this one of the most accomplished films of the year. Definitely worthy of its praise, "The King's Speech" is a charming film that details a wonderful sliver of English history.
  55. Apr 3, 2011
    Extremely well done, sensible and historically accurate, The King's Speech is probably the best movie I have seen in 2010. Acting was superb, something you sadly can't say of the majority of movies shown in today's cinemas, and by the end I felt really enriched.
  56. Apr 1, 2011
    I can't believe the hype this movie was receiving. I watched this film with a few friends, and was really not pleased with the actors performances. Colin Firth did not pull off the role.
  57. Mar 30, 2011
    worst movie ever nothing happened i mean he said a speech omg ! i think the cartoonm i drew in 9th grade on my desk was more interesting i started counting popcorn
  58. Mar 21, 2011
    This was a thoroughly enjoyable movie. I saw this a while ago (before the BAFTAs and Oscars) but decided to come back now to write a review. I didn't know much about this movie before seeing it, so I went in with no expectations. I'm glad to say that I didn't come away disappointed. I've never been a fan of Colin Firth, but I have to give credit where it's due, he is excellent in this. Geoffrey Rush is amazing as well. I couldn't see this film working with any one else in those roles. The story is interesting, the script is well written, and the acting is spot on. What more could you want. It was nice to see a film that hasn't made me feel like I've wasted my time and money. Recommended. Expand
  59. Mar 18, 2011
    You best start believing in bad movies, you're in one. A movie about a prince becoming king, a man coming to terms with his past and overcoming a personal struggle to be able to lead a country and a people at the brink of war. Should be a great movie, oscar worthy indeed. But not in this case, this movie never delivers. This is a movie you would watch on a sunday afternoon, when you're sitting on the couch and are just too lazy to change the channel. Expand
  60. Mar 12, 2011
    What impels "The King's Speech" is its facility to delineate a punctual biopic without losing its charm and charisma that shimmers, and speaks to the engrossing ardor that encapsulates internal struggle. The painstaking desire to squelch our visceral "stammers" is felt deep within; plaudits of praise is well-deserved.
  61. Mar 12, 2011
    "Truly Moving , uplifting , and completely brilliant from start to a glorious finish. Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush give the best performances of there career. Immersible and stylishly clever , Kings Speech will have you interested and loving the film , by closing credits" .. A++
  62. Mar 7, 2011
    A moving and funny film is hard to get but Tom Hooper and David Seidler did a great job. The Oscar was well given and I think everyone should see this movie it's a story of bravery and friendship. I got to say that Helena Bonham Carter was really different on this movie we are used to see her in crazy roles like Red Queen in "Alice in Wonderland" or Bellatrix Lestrange in "Harry Potter". Colin Firth deserved the oscar it's a hard role to play and he was great! Expand
  63. Mar 5, 2011
    Very interesting movie to watch! Never knew much about British leadership before WWII, but this movie inspired me to find out. Interesting experience for those who want to find out some things more about World's history.
  64. Mar 3, 2011
    Truly masterful acting throughout and a well-paced script that didn't lag at any point. Capped by a moving last 10 minutes that made me teary. Lived more than up to the hype.
  65. Mar 3, 2011
    Riveting performance by Colin Firth. It's a shame people can't name more of his movies:
    If you haven't seen this yet - do yourself a favor and watch it.
  66. Feb 28, 2011
    Wow, honestly one of the best movies I have ever watched, the performances were absolutely crazy. Colin Firth has always been a great actor in my eyes, and this just proved it to the rest of the world. This movie definitely deserved the Oscar that it won, and not mention Geoffrey Rush was outstanding in this one also.
  67. Feb 24, 2011
    i dont usually dig these kind of flicks.. but i couldnt ignore the reviews .. i watched and i agree - cinema at its finest.. a drama yes, historical yes.. all the ingredients for a boring movie - yes.. but it transcends all that.. powerful story.. amazing acting, great cinematography.. I even got a little choked up at the end.
  68. Feb 22, 2011
    Possibly the best movie I have ever seen in quite awhile. I do not like sitting through English flicks and was not looking forward to watching this one. I savored every moment and was surprised when it ended. It blew me away that is for sure. I predict hands down - Colin Firth best actor - and this movie wins best for the Oscars.
  69. Feb 21, 2011
    Duke of York, has stammer & speech problems, goes to unconventional therapist, King/Father dies, Brother abdicates, made King, has to overcome disability.
    Wonderful film which is moving, warm & funny with superb performances from both Colin Firth & Geoffrey Rush.
    Authenticity & casting are spot on with good support from Helena Bonham Carter & Guy Pearce although wasn't too convinced by
    Timothy Spall's Churchill. Expand
  70. Feb 20, 2011
    Yes, Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, and HBC are great, and Firth probably deserves the Oscar coming his way. However, I found this movie to be formulaic in the worst way. There's no deviating from your typical biopic machinations, and you can probably figure out what's going to happen after the first 20 minutes. Life-long friendships, a cured character, etc.
    DULL. And frankly, I liked Firth
    better in A Single Man; and if Rush beats Bale for the Oscar, that will be BS. Expand
  71. Feb 18, 2011
    There is no doubt, that one of the main reasons for this film to be so famous is because of the performances of the actors, who were, let me say, splendid. The king that cannot give a decent speech in front of his people, goes to a miraculous speech therapist that helps him get his voice to lead the nation into war. The acting isnâ
  72. Feb 17, 2011
    I just love the depth of character Colin what's his name? brings to the title roll. Yet again a film worthy of all the applauds and more .
    P.S
    I haven't seen it yet ! Don't want to spoil my image I have of Colin what's his name?.
  73. Feb 17, 2011
    Such a beautiful movie, beautiful soundtrack by Alexander Desplat and totally brilliant and touching performance by Colin Firth. Beautiful biopic about King George VI. Tom Hooper is great but I think it's not amazing movie but a beautiful movie
  74. Feb 16, 2011
    One of the best movies of the year second only to Social Network. The King's Speech is about a king overcoming his stutterâ
  75. Feb 16, 2011
    Please go to YouTube, search for The King's Speech and you'll find my review: 'The King's Speech - a stammerer's view'. I'm the non-celebrity in the bright blue shirt and, like King George VI, I stammer!
  76. Feb 14, 2011
    Very pleasant movie. Great script and storyboard. Great screenplay and scenes. Excellent acting performances from Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush. It's a marvelous movie based upon actual historical facts, but in my opinion never the win the Oscar nominated for Best Movie.
  77. Feb 12, 2011
    A brilliant story that speaks in fewer words. It is a humanizing of even the highest of class. Portraying the beauty in the stiffness of English regality. And yet, the unconquerable human drive to face even the most intimidating personal insecurities. A will to conquer and a leader to truly drive a nation. Go see it. This drama has heart, not glitz, and message that needs to be remembered.
  78. Feb 12, 2011
    Well... just by giving a 10 out of 10, do I have to say more? Do I have to spell it out for you? At this point it really doesn't matter what I'm gonna say but what you've seen... this movie shows what effort can do... to be more redundant (according to this topic, of course)... this movie is shouting every possible emotion on every character, and believe me, there was no problem on talking here.
    Colin Firth, keeps surprising me with every movie he takes part in. But, talking just in this case, what an amazing performance! Shyness, bad temper, impotence, medical problems, self-concience issues, past traumas, inexperience in some cases, and that sense of great responsability (it resembles to Lion King's Simba for this kind of feeling, ''I cannot be what I am''), all these feelings gathered and mixed in a chaotic way within Colin's character, and every one of them better than the other you've just seen. Perfect, in each and every single way to say it, JUST SAY IT: PERFECT PERFORMANCE, TOTALLY CHAOTICALLY PERFECT. Colin, you've got the whole responsability with your character, and madly well done.
    Geoffrey Rush takes a lot in this movie too, I'm not forgeting him. Of course no. He keeps this chaotic mixture and tranforms it into a perfectly done puzzle of a great King image. A great performance too. Good man, good job! And of course Helena B.Carter, of course... the most believable serious character she've ever done! At first it was such a weird thing to know he was nominated for her supporting role here, because she was always as crazy (in the good way) as Tim Burton... you know what I mean. But here, unstoppable. Like a perfect royal lady must be.
    Music made by the same compositor from the last 2/3 Harry Potter movies (Alexandre Desplat) who is new at this. But he's growing, day by day. Such a good job too.
    No doubts, 12 oscars belong here... KING SIZE.
  79. Feb 11, 2011
    As everyone else has said, it's amazing. Flawless acting and settings immerse you. Beautifully done, deserving of it's 12 academy award nominations. Social Network ro King's Speech? very tough call
  80. Feb 11, 2011
    Truly a great movie. The King's Speech has never made me want to learn more about history than ever! I try to watch a variety of films and it seems that the historical/informative ones seem to pull me into the plot the most.
  81. Feb 10, 2011
    This is a powerful and deeply moving story, told against the backdrop of a critical juncture in modern history, of the emergence of a deep friendship out of a professional relationship between two men who would otherwise never have socially interacted. The screenplay, written by David Seidler (who also wrote Tucker: The Man and his Dream), is excellent.
  82. Feb 10, 2011
    Giving a public speech has always been difficult thing to do for most of people. Not everyone could deliver it well, you could simply change your job if it did not suit you, but what if you are a King and everybody waiting and expect something from you. King George VI is the father of Queen Elizabeth II. Thiz is the story about early years of his reign in 1920-1940s. For his difficulty of public speaking, to heal his stammer, he hired an Australian Speech Therapist, Lionel Logue (Geoffrey Rush) through some unorthodox techniques. Later, in addition to that process they bound to some manhood relationships and find greater meaning in life. The movie directed by Tom Hooper who is known for a movie about the famous Football Club, Leeds United in THE DAMNED UNITED (2009). In thiz film, he used many unusual styles. The cinematography is interesting, in one moment he putting the face of the characters precise in middle of the screen, leaving significant unusual distance. In another moment, he puts the object precisely in the lower left of the screen. Most of the time, everything looks even different, he provides three dimensional view with his concave perspective. It is eccentric but works quite well. Those techniques emphasize the honesty and integrity through its story-telling. But the element that makes thiz movie works really well, it is Colin Firth who is transforming his body and soul to be Duke of York or better known as King George VI. I can feel his effort and weakness clearly in his complex character. No doubt is one of Firth best performances of all-time. The other great role that deserves to be mentioned is Helena Bonham Carter as his wife, Queen Elizabeth. Thiz is one of the rare times I find that she could be so normal, after her previous roles that were mostly gothic. Guy Pearce is quite convincing too as his older brother who was forced to abdicate, Edward VIII. The small but interesting role also comes from Timothy Spall as Winston Churchill. Last time, the Director Tom Hooper lifted incredible story about football, he did not get much attention although it was a great movie as well. Now with the same quality of work, plus extraordinary performance from Colin Firth, he surely will get more attention than before. That is the difference when you take the story between football and real monarchy. It needs a great speech to be a great leader, but it needs a great Heart to be a great King.

Visit My Blog on JONNYâ
  83. Feb 10, 2011
    Oh, come on. A movie without action doesn't mean it's bad. The script is very well written, the cast act so well both together and independently and they managed to pull of such a weird sounding plot very well. Why a 9? I know it's based on true events, but they could've gone into more detail with the ending. I never got bored once in this movie, and that is really saying something.
  84. Feb 7, 2011
    Absolutely wonderful. Brilliant acting all around and brilliant directing. It is so nice to see a movie that doesn't have bloodshed, special effects all over the place, gratuitous sex, just a great story and great acting.
  85. Feb 6, 2011
    The movie was good. Not great. The acting from all areas was superb. I went into the movie expecting it to be Oscar-worthy, but it just fell flat for me. Everything about how the movie was made from the visuals to the acting was great, but the story was just boring. The only scenes that I felt actually had entertainment value were the speech scenes in which Geoffrey Rush was present. Other than that, most of the story felt as if it could have been told in twenty minutes, not two hours. With that being said, Colin Firth was spectacular in his role and deserves best actor. I was rooting for him to successfully nail it the entire movie, and when he finally did, it was glorious. I just wish I could have been rooting for something moderately interesting. Black Swan all the way. Expand
  86. Feb 6, 2011
    Not often do you see a movie without action, sex, or violence and sit glued to your chair hanging on every word. And quite honestly, this is what The King's Speech delivers. The dialogue will leave you speechless. The ensemble cast of great actor's takes you to that special place. If this movie doesn't win the OSCAR in just about every major category there is no justice in Hollywood. Don't walk, rather run, to see this cinematography genius. Expand
  87. Feb 4, 2011
    I liked this film a lot. Colin Firth and Jeffrey Rush are both outstanding in The King's Speech. I was cringing every time Bertie went to speak. He had me stopped in my tracks. A good movie as well. Although, I was slightly disappointed with it. I had read such great things about the movie, and it was good, but I felt it was not best picture worthy. I think the acting carries the film, but the film itself is not astonishing. I think it runs around an 80 or 90. The cinematography was bland, scenarios short-lived, and the dialogue was too polished. I wish I could have seen more Jeffrey Rush as well. Expand
  88. Feb 4, 2011
    Virtually impeccable and incredibly engaging. I arrived 20 minutes late and had terrible seats right under the screen but I was still completely enthralled by the plot. All the acting was superbly subtle and deep (except maybe Helena Bonham Carter, whose character I never really 'got') and despite the fact I knew what was going to happen I was sitting on the edge of my seat with my heart in my mouth as he walked through Buckingham Palace towards the radio microphone at the end. The whole thing was constructed perfectly and I hope it wins all the Oscars its nominated for - it truly deserves them, more than any film I've seen in years. Expand
  89. Feb 2, 2011
    Being asked what your favorite movie is or what is the best movie of all time is, most would say the Godfather, I would say that it has not been made yet, but for this movie to trump my favorite, The Shawshank Redemption, that is saying something. This was a bro-mance movie at base value but the performances delivered, it made me laugh and cry as cliche as it is but it really hit home with me personally, and it tugged at my heart strings. This was truly a remarkable movie, and it made me smile even more knowing that a movie about Facebook was not the only contender in the race for awards. Expand
  90. Feb 2, 2011
    This film is enjoyable from beginning to end, which is all the more amazing when you realise that the plot could basically be summarised in a single sentence. The performances are all riveting and I can attest that the stories of spontaneous ovations in theatres all over are backed by my experience here in Sydney. If The King's Speech is beaten by any picture (especially the extremely overrated Black Swan) at the Oscars, I will be very disappointed. Expand
  91. Feb 2, 2011
    For sure, the film is predicable, but the brilliant performances and the stylish production are more than enough to make up for it. Colin Firth is masterful: no lesser man could have achieved what he has in this film. Geoffrey Rush is hilarious and brilliant, as usual. Helena Bonham Carter gives depth to a character that has very little screen time, no small feat at all. The people will love it, the critics will love it, and, perhaps most obviously, the Oscars will love it to death. Expand
  92. Feb 1, 2011
    "The King's Speech" is an amazing story that is full of great performances an amazing screenplay and brilliant, skillful direction. This is, simply, a movie not to be missed!
  93. Feb 1, 2011
    A certain dramatic and comedic license was adopted for the outstanding film, "The King's Speech", with Mr Logue's grandchildren remarking that the King's unorthodox but highly effective speech therapist never swore in front of the King or ever addressed him by his intimate family name of "Bertie." Geoffrey Rush brilliantly portrays a brash, irreverently witty and staunchly egalitarian Australian healer, unabashed by the elevated status of his patient, sympathetically and convincingly rendered by Colin Firth, as the tormented and acutely shy Duke of York, who stood at the apex of the British aristocracy. The film is engrossing, compelling, poignant and enjoyable.

The actual historical facts, though, also bear some objective examination. The real Lionel George Logue (1880-1953) was born in Adelaide, South Australia, and, after leaving School, studied elocution, music and theatrical acting. He even worked for a time in a gold mine in Kalgoorlie. A Christian Scientist, with some Methodist influences, he devoted himself to healing - treating World War One returned soldiers suffering from shell-shock induced speech impediments. From 1924, he practised speech therapy in Harley Street, London, using fees paid by wealthy clients to accept poorer patients free of charge.

In 1926, the Duke of York consulted him about the Duke's painfully severe stammer. Logue diagnosed poor coordination between larynx and diaphragm, giving the Duke rigorous exercises for one hour's duration each day. Using tongue-twisters, Logue helped the Duke to rehearse his major speeches and coached him for his Coronation in 1937, following the enormously disruptive abdication of Edward VII the previous year, a crisis which almost brought down the British Monarchy itself.

King George VI, as the former Duke became, made Logue a Member of the Royal Victorian Order (MVO) in 1937 and elevated him to the rank of Commander (CVO) in 1944. Logue attended the King for the V E Day broadcast on 8 May 1945. Both men retained a friendship for the rest of their lives - with Lionel Logue dying in London on 12 April 1953 (being survived by his three sons) and with the King dying a little more than a year earlier on 6 February 1952 (being survived by his widow and two daughters, one of whom being the present Queen Elizabeth II.)

The totally unexpected accession to the throne by King George VI, who never saw himself as being King in the place of his brother, "David" or Edward VII, depicted the ethical differences between the two brothers. The Duke of Windsor, as he became, was something of a self-indulgent, willful and shallow playboy, who threw everything away for Mrs Wallis Simpson, an American divorcee with a talent for collecting wealthy husbands and who was detested for the rest of her life by the remaining House of Windsor. The Duke of Windsor's hope of an eventual reconciliation with his own family was never realized and he was to spend the rest of his life, aimlessly wandering Europe with his domineering paramour, until his death. His brother, King George VI, resolutely shouldered the burden of ruling Britain during the darkest days of World War Two and accepted his elevation to the Monarchy with a courageous sense of duty, however much he dreaded the responsibilities he was expected to discharge. A heavy smoker, his death was caused by a lung cancer related heart attack. His heiress and successor, Queen Elizabeth II, throughout the five decades and more of her own reign, has drawn upon the example of selfless duty and hard work set for her by her late father.

Much of the King's effective implementation of his role is perhaps due to the unconventional but healing practices of his Australian rescuer who took on perhaps the most important task any citizen of the British Dominions could perform during the 1930s and 1940s - that of encouraging the King to encourage his subjects. This film celebrates that commitment and that accomplishment.
  94. Jan 31, 2011
    It's no mean task to get an audience on the side of a member of the privileged British aristocracy, but masterful screenwriting, acting and direction conspire to ensure just that. A small, very personal story on a grand scale.
  95. Jan 30, 2011
    Okay, after looking at some of these reviews I seem to be way off the mark on this one!! But have you ever sat through a movie and from the get go, just not believed a thing that the actors were doing and saw them just as actors acting?? Well thats exactly how I felt watching this!!! Colin Firth was spitting and stuttering on cue while throwing temper tantrums that would make a 3 year old look childish and Geoffrey Rush was looking oh so very Caricature. It just felt like an over acted, staged, Oscar Hungry play....not a movie!! The entire audience seemed blown away after the film but I just didnt get it!!! Expand
  96. Jan 29, 2011
    As far as film's about speech impediments go, you can't go wrong with this. The banter is top notch. Firth and Rush are amazing together and the film keeps tempo.
  97. Jan 28, 2011
    Great acting in a beautifully produced film. Watch it!
  98. Jan 28, 2011
    What can I say, an Oscar worthy thanks to the performance from Colin Firth, great acting, well directed and an amazing true story. Usually, I hate movies about politics, but I gotta say, this one manage me to keep me entertained. I never saw a movie with so much emotions from the actors. Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham Carter delivered a great performance as well. The main reason that I liked this movie it's because I really got involved in the story. When was the last time that you were deeply involved in a movie ? In this case, '' The King's Speech '' is one of them. Expand
  99. Jan 26, 2011
    I was overwhelm by Rush performance. The story is full of hope and courage. Although the end can be foreseen, it keeps you till the end with the pleasure of taking port of the 'king' emotions. It's a nice movie.

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Dec 24, 2010
    One of the chief reasons that director Tom Hooper's richly produced film works so well is because it operates on so many different levels. The King's Speech is all about layers, and Hooper keeps it humming on several at once.
  2. Reviewed by: Shawn Levy
    Dec 24, 2010
    It's a fine, absorbing work, built with brilliance and without excessive showiness or flash. It feels, in fact, like a classic virtually upon its arrival.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Dec 24, 2010
    It's a "keep calm, carry on" wartime melodrama of the first order, and stiff though it may be, it is never less than brilliantly done.