Fine Line Features | Release Date: October 29, 1999
8.6
Universal acclaim based on 77 Ratings
Watch Now
G_Thomas_BostonApr 25, 2013
The Legend of 1900 is one of the cleverest comedies ever filmed. Director Giuseppe Tornatore manages to get the viewer to believe they are watching a serious movie about a boy who grows up (secretly) on an ocean liner. The boy becomes a manThe Legend of 1900 is one of the cleverest comedies ever filmed. Director Giuseppe Tornatore manages to get the viewer to believe they are watching a serious movie about a boy who grows up (secretly) on an ocean liner. The boy becomes a man (still living on the ship but keeping a low profile). But he becomes not just any man; he emerges as a piano virtuoso the likes of which the ocean blue has never seen.

One particularly chortle-worthy scene depicts Tim Roth's character (the titular 1900 (HA HA HA)) lighting a cigarette off of the "hot" piano strings after his jazz duel with Jelly Roll Morton. HA HA HA HA, HO HO HO... whew! Oh, that is priceless.

The over-the-top script is delivered with hilarious high-school histrionics by a cast that includes the usually serious Pruitt Taylor Vince and Clarence (Linc) Williams III.

Hold on a second. This just in. I've been advised that this is indeed NOT a comedy. Really? Well then, I must remind myself to never watch anything with "Legend(s) of" in the title (e.g. Legend of Bagger Vance, Legends of the Fall, Legend of Zorro, Legend of 1900). I thought those were all comedies.