9.0

1. Nov 22, 2012
    The film is a prime example of how someone should make a book based film but it does have a few flaws. The first being the acting, It's not all that good, Yes the casting is perfect but I think the dialogue could have been a bit better. What really saves it is that the aciton is so good and it's so well directed, It truly brings Middle Earth to life. Definently worth watching.
  2. Feb 2, 2014
    The first Lord of the Rings is the best. I'm not one to flock to sci-fi movies, but I find this series to be the epitome of the genre. All of the movies can be enjoyed by almost anyone, and not just fans, which makes these movies even more amazing.
  3. Aug 24, 2014
    A modern epic. A new classic. The Fellowship of the Ring kickstarts one of the finest trilogies in cinematic history. What Peter Jackson is able to accomplish, alongside an impeccable cast and crew, is astounding.
  4. Mar 26, 2012
    An absolute masterpiece like no other. Peter Jackson has created something of pure brillance. It is brillantly executed, with powerful music, and a story that truly wonderful. Just think this is only the beginning.
  5. Jan 3, 2013
    With a virtual pantheon of lovable characters, a legendarily unmistakable score, a mirthful set of special effects, and a truly engrossing story jet-pumped full of classic lore, Peter Jackson's first installment of his "Lord Of The Rings" trilogy makes for a truly indelible and worthwhile filmic escape.
  6. Sep 23, 2011
    "Lord of the RIngs: The Fellowship of the Ring" may be boring for several people, but nevertheless it is a heart warming epic adventure that certainly is one of the year's best films.
  7. Nov 14, 2012
    Lord of the Rings, transcending the genre of fantasy films, is brimming with invention and imagination. A must see!
  8. Jun 11, 2013
    A brilliant breathtaking spectacle would be an understatement. It unquestionably perfect, and because it is, I know I will never see a movie(trilogy) better than the Lord of the Rings.
  9. Jun 9, 2014
    This absolutely floored me. I was always a doubter, thinking that there is no way this was as good as people said it was. Boy was I ever wrong. Phenomenal film. The visual effects were absolutely dazzling (seriously, could one "set" not be absolutely breathtaking, please?), the cinematography was great, the score was pitch perfect, and the acting was great as well. It is amazing how IThis absolutely floored me. I was always a doubter, thinking that there is no way this was as good as people said it was. Boy was I ever wrong. Phenomenal film. The visual effects were absolutely dazzling (seriously, could one "set" not be absolutely breathtaking, please?), the cinematography was great, the score was pitch perfect, and the acting was great as well. It is amazing how I could sleep so hard on this one. I am unfamiliar with the novels, but still, seeing this world come to life is amazing. On top of everything I mentioned, the action is always amazingly put together and the CGI is used to perfection. Another thing is this one's corner is the fact that its 3 hour run time simply did not feel like 3 hours. The time really flew by and never really dragged. Typically, with films of this length, there are some things that feel like extra, but here, everything included was undoubtedly needed. Ultimately, as the first film in the trilogy, this one sets up the following two films very well. It is amazing to think that this is often considered the lesser of the three films. Expand
  10. May 20, 2014
    I never got into this movie when I saw it in the theater back in 2001. And even after I saw it again and "found" it, "The Fellowship of the Ring" has always remained the part of the trilogy I like the least. Not that it's saying much, considering how much I like the others.

The beginning of the movie is slow (but not as slow as the book's), setting an image of a peaceful folk called Hobbits, who don't like trouble and like to eat lots - enjoyed with good ale and excellent pipe weed.

But then there are the Bagginses... They are not like the other Hobbits - not quite. When Frodo and Sam - with the addition of Merry and Pippin - head out towards the town of Bree, it is soon clear that their Hobbit lifestyle is gone for now.

Innocence is pushed away as we plunge into dark, grim tale of bloody history and heroes who failed and fell to the temptation of the One Ring.

My favorite part starts when the Hobbits, led by Strider, later known as Aragorn, reach Rivendell.

I could go on and on about the wonderful cast that I fell in love with, and whose performances keep getting better and better as their characters grow. Orlando Bloom as Legolas had always been my favorite. Merry and Pippin (Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd) offer the flawless comic relief more times than you could ask for it.

As for the others... The Elves are enchanting, and their homes just blow your mind with their beauty. The Nazgûl are hauntingly beautiful and terrible at the same time. The scenery, before and after the Fellowship has been chosen, is so beautiful it's hard to imagine you would have a hard time traveling it; New Zealand at its best.

Although there are small mistakes here and there (most of them funny when you know where to look), and the "size-doubles" don't work very well at times, you forgive them because the story is great. It just doesn't matter.

Like in all the parts of the trilogy, they balance action scenes very well with the calmer ones. You don't get bored. There are a lot of funny moments that reflect on the differences between the characters - and at the same time show you just how they are bonding with each other. This is what makes the next parts so amazing; you actually care about what happens to each and every one of them, and they do not remain hollow and meaningless.

If something needs to be complained about, it is the few quick cuts within a scene between Saruman and Gandalf in Isengard; the dialogue flows but we are taken from one place to another. But that's a minor thing, and in a way, it really works. It just seemed a bit odd in the perfect flow of everything else. Like they wanted to do the same scene in different places at once.

The movie ends in a good spot, leaving us hanging just the right way. It gives you just the right kind of itch to watch the next movie - and then the final one.

And by the way, if you can get your hands on the extended version, don't bother with the theater release. The longer the better, says I!
  11. Oct 30, 2010
    Peter Jackson's first awesome fantasy debut in this brilliant masterpiece!
  12. May 26, 2012
    Fellowship it has dazzling visual effects, great action and fantastic performances to spare, and manages to be as visually powerful as it is emotionally. I give this movie 96%.
  13. Sep 30, 2013
    It's strange and quite gut-wrenching to think that as I review this, the first part of arguably one of the best trilogies to grace cinema was released 12 years ago, but it's fascinating at how much there has been since then, yet this trilogy has withstood the test of countless blockbusters and attempts at recreating it fantastical adventures. Peter Jackson brings to life the vision thatIt's strange and quite gut-wrenching to think that as I review this, the first part of arguably one of the best trilogies to grace cinema was released 12 years ago, but it's fascinating at how much there has been since then, yet this trilogy has withstood the test of countless blockbusters and attempts at recreating it fantastical adventures. Peter Jackson brings to life the vision that author J.R.R. Tolkien envisioned in his fantastic books, full of heart, colourful characters and magical elements that set it heads above the competition, truly an adventure like no other. While much of the film shows the advancements of computer-generated magnificence, it possesses a very human touch from its ensemble cast and riveting stories that each of them tell, the biggest of course being that of Frodo Baggins (Elijah Wood), a hobbit who lead a simple way of life in the Shire, a quiet and peaceful place for those quite content with the easier but finer things in life, but as our story goes, Frodos uncle, Bilbo, holds a secret that changes the tone for the foreseeable future, as an evil is coming and Frodo holds the power to stop it, various events lead to Frodo and his other Hobbit friends Sam, Pippin and Merry (Sam Astin, Billy Boyd, Dominic Monaghan) setting out to destroy the ring in the place it was forged, the fiery Mount Doom. But as mentioned, there is more than this story being told, we meet shadowy ranger Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen) who is certainly more than meets the eye, while we also have a hawk-eyed elf called Legolas (Orlando Bloom), the outspoken but proud Boromir (Sean Bean) and a hot-tempered dwarf called Gimli (John Rys-Davies). The ring itself is a tempting power, a power that can entice and corrupt at any given moment, Ian McKellan plays an ageing wizard called Gandalf the Grey, who knows exactly what this ring is capable of, but is willing to guide this Fellowship until the end. This first entry combines everything into a near flawless film, fantasy, story-driven, violent, epic emotional and touching where it matters most, we don't have a perfect fellowship of individuals here, we have foes, untrustworthy acquaintances, accidental travellers and some not really wanting to be there, but they are all driven my one goal, one that will see them travel across Middle Earth to complete. Peter Jackson perfectly captures a world unlike any other, occupying it with magical mischief and all sorts of good and evil, which the film perfectly represents, it mixes light and dark and often cuts deeply into the flaws of both, while also showing first hand the power of the two on a massive scale, there's nothing quite like it.
    The mesmerising cinematography outlines the scope of the film, from lush green landscapes to the snow-covered mountaintops and deep into the underground, each place vastly different than the last, full of beauty, terror, frightening beings with groundbreaking effects, costumes and real landscapes that bring it to life, but this isn't possible without the phenomenal cast in tow. Ian McKellan and Viggo Mortensen are standouts of the film, engrossed in their characters where we can truly feel safe with them as we trek through Middle Earth, but the then relatively unknown Elijah Wood does an excellent job as the likeable Frodo, keeping a level head but standing up when necessary. Smaller roles are also filled by big stars such as Hugo Weaving, Cate Blanchett, Christopher Lee and Liv Tyler, who are on hand at various pit stops for the group to offer advice and solitude, or two bow to a greater force.
    This is undoubtedly a benchmark in cinema, combining so many elements of grandeur and action that its hard to find fault, it moves at a fluid pace and the long run time is not noticeable or over-bearing, we have so much to see, feel and admire that it feels right to watch this trilogy consecutively, otherwise the moment can indeed be spoiled, it surpasses all expectations and is simply sublime filmmaking, and it only gets better.
  14. Jan 5, 2013
    Overall, the Fellowship of the Ring is a good film. It takes book and adapts it well to film with only one scene being done wrong, which is a lot better than the Harry Potter films. The pacing is good. This film needed to be long for the scenes to be fleshed out the way they did. Unlike the Hobbit at no point did I feel like the film was dragging until after Moria but I did not like thatOverall, the Fellowship of the Ring is a good film. It takes book and adapts it well to film with only one scene being done wrong, which is a lot better than the Harry Potter films. The pacing is good. This film needed to be long for the scenes to be fleshed out the way they did. Unlike the Hobbit at no point did I feel like the film was dragging until after Moria but I did not like that bit in the book anyway. I Expand
  15. Dec 6, 2013
    The first film of the series, "LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring" is emotionally fulfilling, brilliantly plotted and exciting. This movie is a masterpiece and a textbook example on how to create an epic adventure. The special extended edition, at 208 minutes, does not seem overlong at all.
  16. Mar 11, 2015
    Honestly the one of the most incredible movies I have ever seen, and the fact that it was made 14 years ago makes it even more spectacular. Amazing acting, amazing characters, amazing scenery, amazing actions, amazing story, amazing everything!
  17. Feb 4, 2013
    Possibly people for a good movie, but for me it is another of those movies fun to hang out.
  18. Dec 1, 2011
    It was fine. I think it did get a little bit boring and it didnt peak until they got into Moria. From there and til the end of the film it was a lot better. The acting is ok, Sir Ian McKellen was amazing as Gandalf.
  19. Apr 23, 2015
    In the pantheon of fantasy writers, no diety is treated with greater reverence than J.R.R. Tolkien, who is regarded by most readers as the Father of Modern Fantasy. During the past three decades, the fantasy area in bookstores has expanded from a minor subsection of science fiction to a major category in its own right. A couple dozen titles have been replaced by hundreds. Fantasy has goneIn the pantheon of fantasy writers, no diety is treated with greater reverence than J.R.R. Tolkien, who is regarded by most readers as the Father of Modern Fantasy. During the past three decades, the fantasy area in bookstores has expanded from a minor subsection of science fiction to a major category in its own right. A couple dozen titles have been replaced by hundreds. Fantasy has gone from being a cult genre to entering the mainstream. This would not have happened without the popularity and influence of Tolkien's The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Nearly every published fantasy author acknowledges having read and been inspired by Tolkien's canon, and, while The Lord of the Rings may not be the longest or most complex fantasy series to date, it remains the standard against which all similar works are measured. It is the epic fantasy series.

To say that fantasy movies have not been a big draw at the box office is to understate the matter. A lot of this has had to do with the poor quality of the product. Consider the evidence: titles like Willow, Dragonheart, and Dungeons and Dragons. Finally, 2001 has seen the belated emergence of fantasy as a legitimate cinematic genre. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone was one of the year's most anticipated releases and, by the end of December, it will be one of the top money-makers of the past 12 months. Now, along comes The Lord of the Rings, as anticipated for 30-50 year olds and Harry Potter was for their children.

As entertaining as Harry Potter may be, it cannot hold a candle to The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. With this production, Jackson has used The Lord of the Rings to re-invent fantasy for the cinema in the same way that the novel provided the blueprint for the written word. This astounding movie accomplishes what no other fantasy film has been able to do: transport viewers to an entirely different reality, immerse them in it, and maroon them there for nearly three hours. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring brings Middle Earth to glorious life. From the first moment of the first reel, I was there.

In crafting his vision of Middle Earth, Jackson has employed all of the tricks available to him: miniatures, deceptive camera angles, location shooting, impressive set design, and matte paintings. He has also made use of computer graphics, but not to the extent that another director might have. Thus, The Lord of the Rings has a less artificial appearance than might have been the case if Jackson had relied too heavily on CGI technology. Andrew Lesnie's camerawork has the grand scope expected in an epic motion picture, and Howard Shore's score, which is at times heroic and at times thoughtful, compliments the visuals without ever calling attention to itself.

The Lord of the Rings is not an actors' movie, but each member of the cast acquits himself or herself well. Of special note are Ian McKellan, who presents Gandalf as a vulnerable and sympathetic figure; Ian Holm, whose Bilbo Baggins is a weary and tortured individual; and Elijah Wood, who shows the gradual changes in Frodo as he is transformed from a carefree hobbit to the person upon whom the fate of the world rests. Some recognizable names fill small roles - Liv Tyler is surprisingly good as Arwen; Cate Blanchett is cool and regal as Galadriel; and Christopher Lee brings his chilling presence to the part of the treacherous, traitorous Sauruman.

The strength of Jackson's vision as depicted in The Fellowship of the Ring gives movie-goers cause to hope that we may be in the midst of a cinematic achievement. If The Two Towers and The Return of the King live up to the standard set by this film, The Lord of the Rings will become a milestone not only for its genre, but for motion pictures in general. But, regardless of what the future brings, the single movie we now have before us stands out as one of the most rousing examples of entertainment to reach multiplexes in a long time. At last, someone has figured out how to do an epic fantasy justice on the big screen.
  20. Mar 29, 2011
    I didn't read the book, but this was a very enjoyable movie and the least complicated Lord of the Rings movie. However, did the movie really have to be that long?
  21. Jul 30, 2014
    A film that combines fantasy, adventure, romance, humour and horror, "The Fellowship of the Ring" is an unquestionable masterpiece. Jackson's accomplished direction and Lesnie's beautiful cinematography are to praise for this exceptional result signed by a magnificent performance by McKellen and many commendable others. The film has a dark tone that creates a thrilling and engrossingA film that combines fantasy, adventure, romance, humour and horror, "The Fellowship of the Ring" is an unquestionable masterpiece. Jackson's accomplished direction and Lesnie's beautiful cinematography are to praise for this exceptional result signed by a magnificent performance by McKellen and many commendable others. The film has a dark tone that creates a thrilling and engrossing atmosphere which breaths life into Tolkien's epic and casts a spell on the audience. Among its engaging sequences are the incidents at the mines of Moria, a true gem as they appear on screen. The visuals are truly stunning and the CGI splendid, from the magical Rivendell to the Balrog's inferno. Everything is bound together with Shore's Wagner-inspired orchestral score and evolves into one of the greatest cinematic achievements of 21-century film history. Expand
  22. Dec 4, 2013
    To describe this movie as merely epic would be a gross understatement. As epic movies go, it has all the diverse conflicted characters, fighting against insurmountable odds, clash of interests, difficult decisions concerning life and death, matters of the heart and so on.

The movie starts off with an introduction to the present conflict pervading Middle Earth. Sauron is established as the main villain. Not much is shown about his past. We do not know why these people are fighting against each other. You'll have to read The Hobbit or The Silmarillion to catch up on that. The rest of the first half hour is used to establish the abode of the Hobbits, The Shire.

Then the pace picks up as the main characters leave and we get to witness the vast abundance of Middle Earth, and its people and races including the Elves, who are the most intriguing of them all.

Aragorn, also called Strider, is the action go to guy. Far from home and not ever wishing to return, he literally strides into the story and takes command. He is the person most people would form a bond with, I know I did. Then there are others like Legolas, an elf; and the dwarf Gimli. They form the core among the group. And Boromir the son of the steward of Gondor, whose family has taken care of the affairs of the state with the departure of the last of the kings. Gandalf the grey, a member of the order of wizards, is the old guy counselling and protecting our protagonist, Frodo Baggins, on his quest to destroy the ring that can wield a power greater than any other.

Their journey is perilous, the odds pitted against them deadly. The Ringwraiths, servants of the Dark Lord Sauron, seek to return the ring of power to their master and cannot rest until they have done their duty. The Orcs or Goblins, a dark twisted species, are the footsoldiers of the evil side. As if this was not enough, the ring has the power to influence those around it toward claiming it for themselves and fight to the death for it. As Frodo's uncle Bilbo was the previous owner of the ring, it is felt that he would be better able to withstand its effects.

Peter Jackson has the talent to capture the sense of the epic with the camera angles he employs. Always in fear of failure to grasp the location of the visited places and their relativity to each other, I was amazed how easily everything became clear. The special effects were revolutionary for its time. The art department did a commendable job with the sets, costumes and make-up. The locations used for shooting were serene and exquisite, making me want to visit New Zealand where it was shot. The score did a wonderful job keeping you on the edge of your seat and never letting you really relax and lose the sense of urgency, though the greater credit for that feat has to go to the editor. I also watched the extended version of the film, so I can understand the decision to cut out several scenes of relative unimportance to the plot, but I found their presence to be complementary and fulfilling.

Fantasy movies are always hard to do right. People watching them are willing to be swept off their feet, yet slight inconsistencies could be disastrous. Jackson commits none of those mistakes. Fellowship is my favourite from the trilogy, as it focussed more on the characters. The major battles are part of the sequels, which some might find more alluring. This is a fantasy movie which was done perfectly, in my opinion, and the others in the genre should be held against it for comparison.

Extended edition felt more satisfying. Lady Galadriel had more scenes with the main characters, so did Aragorn and Boromir talking and arguing with each other. A bit of Galadriel's palace was shown. In the final skirmish with the Orcs, Boromir's and Aragorn's scenes were increased, making the sequences which felt rushed before more fleshed out and satisfying. A bit of humour was added too.
  23. Aug 25, 2012
    This is the second time I have seen this cut of the movie and, although it is very long, I must say I have seldom enjoyed a film as much. I will not try to compare the book with the film; I
  24. Dec 9, 2014
    A wonderful and touching movie that truly is entertaining to watch.

A wonderful and touching movie that truly is entertaining to watch.

The Fellowship of the Ring is a highly unique movie, and it keeps me entertained every time I watch it, because it’s so damn good and the music is spectacular! Yes, some people might experience some slow and boring scenes, but I didn’t find anything boring at all, because the story and the characters totally keeps me entertained every time I watch it. I’m also thrilled by how great Peter Jackson did the movie, because there’s almost nothing negative about The Fellowship of the Ring. One thing though, is the CGI. There are a lot of practical effects that totally is superior of todays CGI, and the CGI in The Fellowship of the Ring is amazing if you look at it from a 2000s perspective. I’m stunned how incredible they made this film, but if you look closely there are some vague CGI, but I don’t really care. Because the plot of The Fellowship of the Ring is stunning.

This is one of the best movies of the 2000s.

The Fellowship of the Ring gets a 9/10.
  25. Feb 23, 2011
    The scene where Gandalf fights the Balrog in the mines is easily the worst movie scene of all times. All that money for CGI, and they come up with THAT ?
    The problem with that movie is: everthing is meant to be SO meaningful. It is like an actor laughing at his own jokes. The futile attempt to create depth and meaning in each and every single scene completely destroys the movie, and the story.
  26. Apr 14, 2013
    It was good but let's face it, it was an hour too long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The running time is really the only problem though. Everything else in this movie that's good makes up for it. Great special effects, great story, great acting, great combat scenes, and a great script.
  27. Dec 8, 2013
    Really good. It´s beautiful, exciting, emotive, epic. It has all that, but you can´t give it a 10. First of all the last part of the trilogy is the best, so you have to reserve it for that one if anything. It´s a really good mix of characters, wonderful to see all of them working together. Although the heart of the film and the entire trilogy (especially in the last sequel) is theReally good. It´s beautiful, exciting, emotive, epic. It has all that, but you can´t give it a 10. First of all the last part of the trilogy is the best, so you have to reserve it for that one if anything. It´s a really good mix of characters, wonderful to see all of them working together. Although the heart of the film and the entire trilogy (especially in the last sequel) is the relationship between Frodo and Sam. It can be all the epic you want when it comes to action, score, visuals, etc, but this is what makes the movie. And this is why many other big budget films fail miserably quality wise. I was going to give this one a 9 but there are a few scenes towards the end that I don´t like too much, a little bit repetitive. Best moments are the beginning of the journey and the whole time the spend in Moria, really exciting. Expand
  28. Dec 2, 2012
    It's surprising when you find one of these rare epics that still manage to captivate and spellbind over such a long period of time. The visuals were absolutely majestic, yet the story managed to unfold with such grace and never dawdled. The actors proved worthy of the role they played and kept up their spirit throughout. It was also nice to feel a little light-heartedness among theIt's surprising when you find one of these rare epics that still manage to captivate and spellbind over such a long period of time. The visuals were absolutely majestic, yet the story managed to unfold with such grace and never dawdled. The actors proved worthy of the role they played and kept up their spirit throughout. It was also nice to feel a little light-heartedness among the fantasy, drama and suspense that occurred. To be honest, I couldn't really point out what was actually bad about it, because it just looks like one of the best fantasy epics ever made. Expand
  29. Jul 22, 2013
    mucha a charla y poca accion para una pelicula que lo tenia todo para un hermoso 10, efectos, tema, actuacion, personajes, paisajes y falto accion lo cual bajo la calificacion
  30. Dec 9, 2011
    For hardcore fans, Peter Jackson's vision of the Middle-Earth may be a disrespect to the source material, but for me, "The Fellowship of the Ring" is the most faithful adaptation you cold ask of. Many people were bored by its length, but I found the first chapter of the trilogy an epic masterpiece.

I see it as nearly perfect: It's one of the best fantasy pictures ever made.
  2. An extraordinary work, grandly conceived, brilliantly executed and wildly entertaining. It's a hobbit's dream, a wizard's delight. And, of course, it's only the beginning.
    Above all, Jackson evokes an almost palpable sense of the will to power trapped within the ring. Without this evocation of the ring's insidious ability to sniff out the potential for corruption and capitalize on it, the entire enterprise would be precious drivel.