9.0

1. Sep 23, 2011
    "Lord of the RIngs: The Fellowship of the Ring" may be boring for several people, but nevertheless it is a heart warming epic adventure that certainly is one of the year's best films.
  2. RandyM.
    Apr 22, 2007
    An epic movie if I ever saw one. Captivating and just plain fun to watch. This movie is, indeed, art.
  3. Dilmano
    Jul 8, 2002
    I'm a bit confused with some of the criticism of this movie..."the same scene over and over again..." That line is repeated in several reviews. Huh? Which scene was that? It appears that this is just the same movie review, over and over again. And our old friend "character development" gets trotted out as another example of the shortcomings of this film. Folks, give it a chance. As I'm a bit confused with some of the criticism of this movie..."the same scene over and over again..." That line is repeated in several reviews. Huh? Which scene was that? It appears that this is just the same movie review, over and over again. And our old friend "character development" gets trotted out as another example of the shortcomings of this film. Folks, give it a chance. As someone earlier mentioned, it's a trilogy. I could already see changes at work in several characters in just the first film. And sometimes, even in the most respected films, characters DON'T develop or change. They just are what they are, and here's their story. Don't mistake plot development for character development. I had no desire to see this film when it came out. I'd tried to read the books way back when I was in college, but just couldn't get into them (I've never been much of a Fantasy fan). My husband, however, is a major LOTR fan, and convinced me to go. I've seen it 4 times since then, and can't wait for the DVD and the new installment in December. Now, I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I'm not a child, nor do I have the intellect of one, and yet I found the film exciting, funny, moving, thought-provoking, and just plain FUN. (And so did my husband, the big LOTR fan.) I cared about the characters and found them compelling. And I had no problem with the ending. Of course, different strokes for different folks! Collapse
  4. Sep 21, 2011
    A masterpiece. This movie is a work of Art, and it portrays the great book series with excellence and majesty. It is an all time favorite, and my words fail to describe its magnificence.
  5. Nov 4, 2011
    It's magical, emotional, captivating and epic. The Lord of the Rings is not only a literary classic, but thanks to Peter Jackson, it's now a cinematic classic. 4/4 stars.
  6. Mar 17, 2013
    The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring review

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring review

I have always viewed the Lord of the Rings trilogy as the incarnation of the word epic. It is bathed in moments that will pull out a tear rout of even the manliest of men just by a monologue, a part of the soundtrack, a victory in a battle, a moment were friendship shines. It will make you cheer for the main characters and join them in their journey. I could talk about this masterpiece (yes I refer to the trilogy as one experience) all lifelong, so I will do my best to summarize my feeling in these three parts. My username is pablo2896 in IMDB and Pablo22in Metacritic by the way, so you can visit my three reviews.
    So let’s get to the first one, the first movie. The Fellowship of the Ring tells the story of a young hobbit who is put in an overwhelming quest to rid his land of evil. And for me this is one aspect that makes me tear up a bit, the fact that one so small can squeeze out so much courage from himself. And this is no other than Elijah Wood´s Frodo Baggins. Elijah does an amazing job acting as the main character. So the movie starts with a prologue explaining the founding of the one ring and how its master was defeated long ago. This clearly shows you what sort of a jaw dropping ride you are going into. It shows the amazing achievement of the special effects and the scale of these films. Then we are introduced to Frodo (Elijah Wood), this hobbit lives a perfect live in The Shire, a town were these hobbits live, eat and smoke weed (yes they even say it in the movie). His uncle Bilbo Baggins (Ian Holm) has carried the One Ring for a while, this entity that is consisted of the other half of the soul of Sauron, the evil bad guy. So he leaves it to Frodo who is then given the (almost) impossible task of taking it to the fires of Mt. Doom, the only place it can be destroyed and by doing so, vanquishing evil. And in the mean time Sauron sends his nine wraith to find this ring and kill everybody who goes in their way. Easy, right? Gandalf a powerful wizard, played by no other than Ian McKellen who perfectly portrays you the wisdom, the charm and the power of this conjurer, swears to protect Frodo at all costs in this journey and they take Sam with them, played by Sean Astin (who´s incredible acting and character I will describe in my third review) Frodo’s gardener with them. In their journey they meet some characters like Merry (Dominic Monaghan), Pippin (Billy Boyd) and no other than the badass Aragorn who´s actor Viggo Mortensen plays it amazingly, he is able to make you know he is a badass. So to summarize that part this movie has some of the best character developments I´ve seen in any movie. In the elvish sanctuary Rivendell they form the Fellowship of the Ring, which is consisted by the six characters I mentioned up there and three more, Boromir (a man), Legolas (an elf) and Gimli (a dwarf). Sean Bean, the actor who plays Boromir, does a good job in setting this character´s conflicts and desires for the Ring of power, but it portrays his honor and loyalty also. Legolas and Gimli I thought would be more like filler characters but you feel interest for them and you connect to them immediately. The same can be said for Merry and Pippin. From Rivendell they embark to their destination, Mordor the Land of evil. God, I have to talk about the montage of the Fellowship traveling. It is an epic compilation of amazing landscapes and hair rising soundtrack. This is where I really felt the epicness of the movie. By the way this was pretty much the half of the movie, the buildup. So was it a typical long boring buildup? No, not in its least. They encounter dangers like spying crows sent by Saruman, an evil wizard who sides with Sauron at the beginning of the movie, and a treacherous storm (also sent by Saruman, what a dick) in the middle of a dangerous mountain which forces them to take another path, the Mines of Moria. Gimli explains to them that the dwarves will welcome them in there but he´s WRONG. They get there and the place is a graveyard, a graveyard made from dwarves! So to summarize it they get trapped in there (blame the giant octopus) and now have to get across the dwarven city. Warning: EPICNESS! They soon find out they are not alone, and no other than Pippin (fool of a Took!) wakes up every goblin infesting the mines. This leads to an awesome battle were you are cheering for the Fellowship while it slays goblins and a cave troll! They escape and make a run for the bridge of Khazad Dum with an army of goblins on their backs and an awesome score which is beyond epic. But they realize something else is in those mines. A Balrog. A foe so powerful, only Gandalf can defeat it. They get to the bridge and the wizard faces it. In the most epic moments of the film he takes it down but unfortunately he goes down with it. You feel the loss yourself at this moment, seeing everyone in pain. Ran out of letters! See the rest in IMDB.
  7. JasonV.
    Jul 28, 2002
    Best.. Movie... Ever! The people who "hate" it are just backlashing against the overwhelmingly positive response to this work of art! Much better than A Beautiful Mind, and MUCH MUCH better than Moulin Rouge!
  8. AndrewJ.F.
    Jan 11, 2002
    Go read a book, Will. Once in your life. Please?
  9. ClaireE.
    Jan 12, 2002
    How can people even begin to call this film boring? Obviously Will's idea of fun is deciding which shade of grey to wear that particular day. This film is amazing, great story, great adaptation, great performances, music and scenery! OK so it has some faults, but being boring is certainly not one of them.
  10. TedB.
    Jan 2, 2002
    This was more faithful to the book than I had hoped. My fear was that-- as often happens-- little would remain of the original story. This was a superb retelling of a great story. This is a truly great film.
  11. LaraQ.
    Oct 28, 2002
    The people who gave this movie a 6 or lower, well, I pity him/her. One person complained there was no character development. HELLO! It happened little by little. Only, sadly, some people didn't put any thought into it to see it. I mean, I can see where a person would say this about Aragorn, but when you think about him HARD you'll see his character. He of course, is an extremely The people who gave this movie a 6 or lower, well, I pity him/her. One person complained there was no character development. HELLO! It happened little by little. Only, sadly, some people didn't put any thought into it to see it. I mean, I can see where a person would say this about Aragorn, but when you think about him HARD you'll see his character. He of course, is an extremely skilled warrior, but he also uses his brain, and his heart. But for the most part, you could definitely see character development. The hobbits are another thing as well. Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin in paticular. Frodo is someone we can emphasize with. When he is responsible for the ring, you can tell he's very nervous and scared about this, we'd be the same. Sam, is very loyal, and is easily frightened. Merry and Pippin are both very alike. Both of them a have to take a minute to see what's going on. Someone complained the movie would've been better if it had nudity and sex. I pity that person. That is what makes a movie BAD. And if it had that, that practiacally be betraying the beauty of the book. And the most popular, was that someone said it was a childish plot. PLEASE. Do you think a child could write a story this thorough? Definetly not. Unless the child had an I.Q. of 199. That's another story. And whoever said this was for nerdy people only well, that person must have poor interests, because many non-nerds have loved this movie. I can't believe that proffessor hated it. Either that was someone pretending to be a proffessor, or it was one of the most unlikable proffessors of all time. This movie was quite moving too, especially at the end (someone please hand me a box of kleenex!) See this one! Expand
  12. KatieG.
    May 4, 2002
    I must say this is the best movie in the entire history of movies, next December is way to long to wait for the next one and in two decembers is definitely too long to wait for the last one. I love this movie!!!!
  13. GregB.
    Jun 23, 2002
    Quit looking so much into the movie and just sit back and enjoy it. This was a great movie to enjoy with plenty of great scenes. Quit raping the movie and just watch it for once.
  14. JessicaP.
    Jul 9, 2002
    Great film! I watched it over and over again when it came out at theaters! Orlando Bloom who portrays Legolas the elf is so HOTT! The action was suspensful and thrilling. The effects were really something. but something is wrong. A beautiful Mind shouldn't have beaten Lord of the Rings at the Awards Ceremony!!!! THATS JUST TOTAL WRONG!
  15. MeghanK.
    Sep 29, 2002
    It was awesome. The actors did a great job in making each of their characters interesting and I really felt as if the Shire and the Hobbits and the whole land of Middle Earth was a real place. I love this movie, I also was happy to see that the movie did not totaly destroy the point of the book.
  16. RyanW
    Oct 20, 2004
    I think this was the greatest movie ever It was so much better than that Harry Potter junk. this movie was so exciting and once I saw the first one I couldn't wait to see what the ending was. so peace brother.
  17. JonH.
    Dec 19, 2001
    Finally, a film that makes good on its promises. Nearly perfect in every way. Thank you, thank you, Mr. Jackson.
  18. Andrew
    Dec 19, 2001
    I cannot even begin to say enough about how fantastic this movie was. Jackson has finally, FINALLY, lent a TON of credibility to this intensely creative genre of film. There are movies that you watch, and there are movies that you EXPERIENCE, and this is truly one that immerses you in the world it delivers and allows you an experience...and these are the best movies of all time.
  19. PaulM.
    Nov 22, 2002
    Deserves ever score of 10 and nothing less. On September 11th, 2001, the world changed forever. No longer did I feel the comfort of a safe country, a safe home. Nothing mattered any more except for the strength, support, and love of friends. And that is what the Lord of the Rings is about. It is a story of the human spirit told through the struggle to ward off a foe unseen. It has very Deserves ever score of 10 and nothing less. On September 11th, 2001, the world changed forever. No longer did I feel the comfort of a safe country, a safe home. Nothing mattered any more except for the strength, support, and love of friends. And that is what the Lord of the Rings is about. It is a story of the human spirit told through the struggle to ward off a foe unseen. It has very deep values and morals throughout, with very powerful messages. The message that even using a dark power with good intentions, that power can and will corrupt. This is also the story of friendship, faithfulness, and forgiveness. In the bonds between the characters, and the struggles of the characters, they ask each others forgiveness, and apologize to one another when they fail. This film spoke volumes to me with many underlying themes such as those. Beyond that, the experience of the film was such that I have never seen before. What I saw wasn't perfect, but the flaws are forgiveable. The length isn't a problem, because they were able to capture more of the book and I'm thankful for that. For a long time I wondered how audiences felt seeing the original Star Wars and changing the world of film, as I was born the year that the Empire Struck Back, and I believe that I have just witnessed just such an event, and felt those emotions. This picture had an effect on me and I loved the whole thing. Expand
  20. DonO.
    Jan 23, 2002
    Editor, I loved "Stars Wars," but I loved Fellowship of the Ring even more. I haven't read the Rings books in 30 years, but this film was so filled with such operatic beauty, such exquisite characters and such courage in the face of outrageous peril that it's now my number-one movie of all time. Star Wars was great ? humorous, slap-dash and filled with amazing special effects, Editor, I loved "Stars Wars," but I loved Fellowship of the Ring even more. I haven't read the Rings books in 30 years, but this film was so filled with such operatic beauty, such exquisite characters and such courage in the face of outrageous peril that it's now my number-one movie of all time. Star Wars was great ? humorous, slap-dash and filled with amazing special effects, but it was, to be honest, only the world's best Saturday afternoon matinee. As serious film, it doesn't even come close to the Fellowship of the Ring. Expand
  21. IanW.
    Dec 4, 2002
    They have somehow managed the seemingly impossible, they have improved upon the book!! (removed scenes that would not work on film and added extra "continuity"). WONDERFUL!!!
  22. KarlD.
    Jan 4, 2002
    I have to give a 10+++ (as I watched it already 3 times) for the movie I was expecting for months. I truly remained without breath fot the whole 3 hours and enjoyed every second of it. The myth of the great mind of J.R.R. Tolkien finally came to life with this truly remarkable masterpiece of filmaking. I have never seen such good visuals in my life, and after I have read the books of the I have to give a 10+++ (as I watched it already 3 times) for the movie I was expecting for months. I truly remained without breath fot the whole 3 hours and enjoyed every second of it. The myth of the great mind of J.R.R. Tolkien finally came to life with this truly remarkable masterpiece of filmaking. I have never seen such good visuals in my life, and after I have read the books of the Lord of the Rings, I realised how well the whole book was recreated superbly on screen. The scenery is truly spectecular and breathtaking, compliments to Peter Jackson's New Zealand and his great talent. The soundtrack is also marvellous. I hope this film will be rewarded for its greatness. It is a great epic of fantasy and adventure, and without any doubt, one of the or the best film of the year. I do not mind people critsicing harshly the film because I do believe they don't know a damn about the books of Tolkien. Please don't try to compare it to Star Wars, maybe it was written 40 years later!! The Fellowship of the Ring is a dream come true thanks to Tolkien's genius and Peter Jackson's talent. Flawless! Can't wait a year and two to see the other movies, then I guess I have to put myself on dvds! Expand
  23. KaraL.
    Apr 7, 2002
    The scenery was beautiful, the acting was mostly wonderful, and it leaves you wanting more.
  24. KeshiaB.
    May 15, 2002
    What can I say it was absolutely amazine! I can't wait 2 C the next 2.
  25. JamesF.
    Aug 8, 2002
    Don't mean to be a bandwagon jumper, but his movie is excellent. I, for one, love fantasy films, and this has got to be the greatest of that genre ever made. However, the great thing is youi don't have to eb a fantasy film lover to ike this movie. It's like star wars only fantasy (except I didn't really care for star wars), its a film that anybody of any age can enjoy Don't mean to be a bandwagon jumper, but his movie is excellent. I, for one, love fantasy films, and this has got to be the greatest of that genre ever made. However, the great thing is youi don't have to eb a fantasy film lover to ike this movie. It's like star wars only fantasy (except I didn't really care for star wars), its a film that anybody of any age can enjoy so long as they have imagination and don't mind a long, epic movie. Expand
  26. ElizabethF.
    Sep 28, 2002
    The beauty of this film is that it appeals to those who have read The Lord of the Rings as well as those who haven't. Newcomers (most of them) are intrigued by portrayal of the characters and storyline, whereas the old are captured once again by Tolkien's epic. The acting cannot be faulted; it was convincing. And Peter Jackson did well in choosing the parts of the story to cut The beauty of this film is that it appeals to those who have read The Lord of the Rings as well as those who haven't. Newcomers (most of them) are intrigued by portrayal of the characters and storyline, whereas the old are captured once again by Tolkien's epic. The acting cannot be faulted; it was convincing. And Peter Jackson did well in choosing the parts of the story to cut out. Of course, no movie is complete without a good accompanying score, and Howard Shore was truly magical. It was not about character development. In fact, in the books, there was very little until later, much later in the story. It should be more that enough that the characters were stunningly portrayed and cunningly acted out. Take, for instance, Frodo Baggins. At bag end, he is happy. And why shouldn't he be? His life is perfect. He is rich and well-liked in the community. When his beloved uncle disappears, he is sad - but not overly so, because he respects Bilbo. But Elijah Wood conveys his misery perfectly when the truth of the ring is revealed, and his acceptance of his task. His desperate flee from the Ringwraiths, his fear, and the doom that he brings upon him at the council - all clearly seen through the smallest of actions and speech. Then the journey through the mines, "a pity Bilbo didn't kill [Gollum] when he had the chance," the revelations in Lórien, "I cannot do this alone," and the exceptional courage in Amon Hen, "can you protect me from yourself?" serve to make Frodo Baggins a formidable character in the movie of the year. But I am surprised at some of the comments posted here. One person complains that it was too violent for children. I don't mean to sound insulting, but this person has obviously never read the books. A child would never grasp the concepts in The Lord of the Rings. Of course, if the original reviewer was a child prodigy with an I.Q. of 180 and attended Oxford for literature at age 15, forgive me. For the comment about the two "annoying short guys," those short guys are HOBBITS, and they are the main characters in the story. To the person who called it "a nerdy movie for nerdy people... that [run] around outside pretending to cast spells on each other," I am sorry that some of us have a desire for good literature. As for the comments about length... try reading it. And the one review to cap them all: "Sean R. gave it a 5: This is one of those movies where you need to expect an 500 page story crammed not action. The action weren't that good and the demon characters looked really cheesy. The plot also really didn't make a whole lot of sense either. The thing I will never get over though are the names Frodo, Bilbo. Did Mike Tyson name these guys?" It is pitiable. Especially the last two sentences. Kudos to you, Peter Jackson and co. The Fellowship of the Ring is truly a magnificent movie, and certainly does the book justice. Expand
  27. SamanthaH.
    Apr 13, 2003
    All the peps worry cool and frodo wasthe coolest.
  28. raVen
    Jul 19, 2003
    Beautifully done--Tolkien was not betrayed. Abridged, yes, but never betrayed. Beyond the endless eyecandy, what I loved most was that it wasn't made specifically for the large segment of our population that would rather watch a movie than read the great book it was based on. "Fellowship" has action and swordplay, but doesn't depend on them. The characters are fantastical, but Beautifully done--Tolkien was not betrayed. Abridged, yes, but never betrayed. Beyond the endless eyecandy, what I loved most was that it wasn't made specifically for the large segment of our population that would rather watch a movie than read the great book it was based on. "Fellowship" has action and swordplay, but doesn't depend on them. The characters are fantastical, but not unreal. It's a special effects gem that isn't dumb. And this one's only the beginning... Expand
  29. a.smith
    Nov 18, 2004
    The film was bloody brilliant also my kids agree to if we could we would of rated the film 20 out of 20. But them was say it no good what to look agin and see what thay like seen as people all have different points all things so if thay done like it thay should not watch in the first place.
  30. JaneA.
    Aug 8, 2004
    I love the Lord of the Rings films (and books). See the extended editions.

I see it as nearly perfect: It's one of the best fantasy pictures ever made.
  2. An extraordinary work, grandly conceived, brilliantly executed and wildly entertaining. It's a hobbit's dream, a wizard's delight. And, of course, it's only the beginning.
    Above all, Jackson evokes an almost palpable sense of the will to power trapped within the ring. Without this evocation of the ring's insidious ability to sniff out the potential for corruption and capitalize on it, the entire enterprise would be precious drivel.