Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: May 15, 2003
7.7
Generally favorable reviews based on 581 Ratings
WATCH NOW
OfficialMar 8, 2014
Not as good compared to the first. Still, this sequel remains sophisticated, intense and complex.
StevenFAug 20, 2013
A sequel doesn't get much bigger, more populated or digitally enhanced than the second outing of the much publicised "Matrix" franchise, filmed back to back with a third instalment that was released later in the year of 2003, the second oneA sequel doesn't get much bigger, more populated or digitally enhanced than the second outing of the much publicised "Matrix" franchise, filmed back to back with a third instalment that was released later in the year of 2003, the second one is the beginning of a larger arc which finished in the third. We see Neo (Keanu Reeves) now taking full advantage of his "One" status, he has a new wardrobe, a more relaxed attitude and he can fly. He is joined again by the increasingly philosophical Morpheus Laurence Fishburne) and the lovely Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss), the woman Neo falls for in the first film. This time around we have a glimpse of Zion, the last human city in the real world, a place mentioned several times in the original. The city is on the bring of an attack from the machines that many believe Neo can prevent. But there to get in his way is the rebooted and rejuvenated Smith, played with an undoubtedly charismatic and comedic undertone by Hugo Weaving. He is stronger, faster and can multiply in vast numbers, something Neo meets head on in one of the films most spectacular fight sequences, where Neo is facing countless amounts of Smiths at the one time, this fast, choreographed piece is one of the defining points of the film.
So the big question remains, is it any good? Well much like that question, there are various moments in the film where questions are asked, perhaps rhetorical or not, but many times these questions are unanswered, or answered with another question, it's quite a circle and one that we must get used to, there are plenty of psychological puzzles and open-ended dialogue to keep people guessing for years what exactly was meant by this or that. In terms of explanations, we get a much deeper understanding of The Matrix, it's creation and its purpose, but this can often feel forced and too explanatory, computer program this, computer program that. The first film, we barely got an explanation, we were left in awe at the scope of the film and the subject matter, but a bigger budget for 'Reloaded' means a more action-oriented film, we still get some brain teasers, but a more human element and certainly pre bells and whistles take away that unique spark that's de the first so damn enjoyable. Mentioning the set pieces again, there are certainly some eye-catching and spectacular moments, a moving truck where we see Morpheus fighting an Agent was particularly enjoyable, with plenty of time spared for this breathtaking scene.
But in light of these impressive feats, they seem to act as a distraction to a disengaging story, one that takes a more Hollywood approach as a bigger budget was available. These folks are now entering superhero territory which lacks the originality that was introduced in the original.
Also making an appearance in the sequel is a vast amount of new characters, mostly from other ships headed to Zion, but they sort of get lost in the midst of everything that is going on in the bigger picture, left with little to do except stick on some cool sunglasses and an say a few witty lines.
It certainly wasn't the sequel I was hoping for, it made everything too explainable and fluid, but while there is a few questions still to be answered, the cliffhanger ending was a little off the mark, not matching it's predecessor in unique storytelling or thrill, but definitely an action film worth watching.
Compi24Nov 25, 2014
The Wachoskis build off their landmark sci-fi film with near stride in "The Matrix Revolutions," churning out invigorating set pieces and striking imagery to offset a narrative that could certainly benefit from the KISS principle.
ninja_dolphinFeb 14, 2013
A more action centric movie than the original, which in many ways pays off with some of the most memorable film scenes ever. However some of the character from the original was definitely lost and for the most part this doesn't matter it'sA more action centric movie than the original, which in many ways pays off with some of the most memorable film scenes ever. However some of the character from the original was definitely lost and for the most part this doesn't matter it's still an amazing movie and a worthy sequel. The cliffhanger at the end is a b**** though. Expand
aadityamudharApr 17, 2016
The-SillyAkApr 14, 2012
This movie is outstanding. Its the perfect link between the first and second. It had a good amount of fight scenes and it teaches the viewer alot about the meaning behind the matrix and the plot. Unlike the last one, its about [spoiler]This movie is outstanding. Its the perfect link between the first and second. It had a good amount of fight scenes and it teaches the viewer alot about the meaning behind the matrix and the plot. Unlike the last one, its about [spoiler] Neo just realising what he is doing in the matrix, which was clear from the start. To much time talking in metaphors and not enough actually fighting (except for the last bit) [END SPOILER]
Whilst in the first one, it was average as you werent sure if it had a cliffhanger ending or not. It didnt answer enough questions to finish it off as a series, but it asked alot of questions which kept it going.
Considering it was made in the late 90's and had roughly a 4 or 5 year gap between the 2.
JamesG.May 11, 2003
I'm eager to see it!
0 of 4 users found this helpful
JaredC.Jul 2, 2007
The Matrix trilogy is awesome, there's no movie like this before.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
Falling_HammerJul 10, 2011
I really enjoyed this movie because it has got a very interesting story. Furthermore, it's got great fight scenes, amazing special effects, very good, convincing acting, It's a bloody good movie. You'll definitively enjoy it.
tbagurdrumset94Feb 10, 2012
Lacks the shock value of the first film, but builds on its ideas. The stunts are spectacular, and the special effects are, for the most part, great. The most powerful scene is definitely the Architect scene. It creates a few questions: 1. HowLacks the shock value of the first film, but builds on its ideas. The stunts are spectacular, and the special effects are, for the most part, great. The most powerful scene is definitely the Architect scene. It creates a few questions: 1. How old is the Matrix REALLY? 2. How real is the real world? 3. What the hell does vis-a-vis mean??? Expand
Tss5078Jun 23, 2014
Contrary to everything we know about trilogies, the sequel to the Matrix is considered to be the best of the three films. The reason is simple, as this is where we get into the heart of the story. The first film was equivalent to the pilotContrary to everything we know about trilogies, the sequel to the Matrix is considered to be the best of the three films. The reason is simple, as this is where we get into the heart of the story. The first film was equivalent to the pilot episode of a TV show, where we are introduced to the characters, terms, and locations. In the second installment of the Matrix we are introduced to the real struggle and get a look inside the legendary underground city of Zion. The humans there have learned of a plan by the machines to tunnel through into the city and want to come up with a way to stop them. While Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) believes that Neo (Keanu Reeves) is the key to stopping the whole thing, most of the other are skeptical. In Reloaded, Agent Smith doesn't play as large a role as in the first film, for that matter, neither does the Matrix itself, which makes it almost like a stand alone rather than a sequel. Reloaded isn't just a great Sci-Fi story as it features one of the best action sequences and chase scenes I have ever seen, following the groups interaction with the Merovingian. While the film was great and does top the original, the Directors once again tried to use never before seen special effects. While it worked well in the first film, it doesn't help the second. Many of the fight scenes with the agents become so computerized, that at points they actually seem to be animated, and those scenes hurt the film. Other than that minor inconvenience, I can't find anything wrong with this film. It is Science Fiction at it's best, featuring an perfectly cast group of actors, some edge of your seat intensity, and of course a very unique story. All that makes the Matrix Reloaded one of our must see movies! Expand
oxanaMay 20, 2014
In many ways, this is my favorite in the Matrix trilogy, although in quality it stays second to the first, original one.

Lighter and funnier, yet full of action, fights and drama. Perhaps even too much fighting sometimes; it's only so many times that you can do one thing, after all, before it gets boring. Visually amazing, adding nothing new to the first movie, but then, this is still Matrix; that is all that counts.

The characters are both macho and believable. New characters are added (the Twins are my absolute favorites), and the world of Matrix is expanding; there is more than one ship, and more than one battle going on.

We also get to see Zion, the last refuge of humanity. It is indeed a fine conflict that while they battle machines, they also need machines to keep themselves alive. A willing symbiosis that none wants to admit.

Neo is struggling to find his place, but it seems that when it comes to Matrix, he knows it and his abilities. Others doubt him, but it does not seem to matter as long as the right people stand by him.

The plot deepens, and leaves us to wait for the third and final part of the trilogy.
wesker2012Jun 1, 2012
One of the most visually stunning and exciting movies of all time. A classic.
Apemonkey666Jan 12, 2013
It's not the perfect film that The Matrix was, but it did hold the most promise and for me it was probably one of my most anticipated movies of all time. As my expectations were unrealistically high they were only partially met. Most peopleIt's not the perfect film that The Matrix was, but it did hold the most promise and for me it was probably one of my most anticipated movies of all time. As my expectations were unrealistically high they were only partially met. Most people probably switched off during 'the Architect speech' but that philosofical **** was the best part of the film and raised allot of questions and food for thought concerning the closing chapter. This was the only film I ever saw twice in the cinemas :) Expand
NecromusDec 6, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Alright, I admit after seeing this in the theater the first time I walked out of the theater at the end with mixed opinions. I basically told everyone I wasn't sure if I liked it I'd have to see how they end it in the third movie. But after seeing the final part and then watching the entire movie trinity in order a second time later this and the last one have grown on me. The entire trinity is imo pure genius and has a profound philosophical/spiritual message but it is not obvious what this is. The second and the third movie are especially difficult to understand. Let me just speculate, if we look at Hindu cosmology (from which Buddhism also later arose) then possibly The Architect, Merovingian Frenchman and The Oracle represent the Hindu God Trinity: The Architect = Brahman the Creator, The Merovingian = Vishnu the Preserver (since he likes to preserve things from former Incarnation of the Matrix and The Oracle is Shiva the Destroyer (because she wants to destroy the old ways and bring about the new way of peace and she's also constantly smoking cigarettes which is a self-destructive habit). But that's just my opinion, feel free to interpret the trilogy however you want. This movie basically breaks down many assumptions we have about the matrix we gained in the first movie. The part where Neo is able to stop the machines in the real world is really confusing to the viewers too. How he does this is never clearly answered even in the third movie. Three possible theories I have are: 1) Zion and the outside world are just another layer of reality inside the matrix created to fool the people who escape the inner layer of the Matrix that they are free. 2) Neo is actually a machine himself (or possibly the cookie the oracle gave him lets him carry a machine program somehow, after all in computer lingo a "cookie" is a small piece of data you give to a user visiting your website so you can track them), 3) Neo has achieved enlightenment inside the matrix but a side-effect is that he's also achieved enlightenment in the real world, in Buddhism for example it is said there are high-level monks that can bend reality melting snow with their minds and/or make thing materialize out of thin air, etc.. It's possibly Neo's enlightenment lets him do something similar in the real world. Any of these explanations work but we never really know what the creators of these movies really intended since they have stated they would rather let us figure out things for ourselves. Other than being confusing for the viewer one other part I didn't like was the love-making scene between Neo and Trinity, the reason is the way it broke out into the cheesy Rave/techno style music. This should have been some Enya/Tantric spiritual style music imo, the rave music just made it really cheesy. The fight scene with Neo and the multiple Smiths went on way too long too. But overall this was a great movie. I give the entire trinity 10/10 but this movie I give a 9/10. Expand
pabloaimarFeb 10, 2013
The best action movie ever made is Matrix Reloaded. Every once in a while I put in the DVD to watch some of the action scenes, I skip 10 minutes in and I end up watching the whole movie every single time because its a non stop thriller andThe best action movie ever made is Matrix Reloaded. Every once in a while I put in the DVD to watch some of the action scenes, I skip 10 minutes in and I end up watching the whole movie every single time because its a non stop thriller and very enjoyable to watch. I rarely give a 10 rating, but this movie surely deserves it! Expand
chrisjones914Jul 31, 2014
Huge improvement over the first film! The most noticeable improvement was in the story! Whereas in the first film it would give you moments that it expected you to just car about the characters because of their situation, Reloaded presentsHuge improvement over the first film! The most noticeable improvement was in the story! Whereas in the first film it would give you moments that it expected you to just car about the characters because of their situation, Reloaded presents you with individual struggles that really make you care for the fate of each character! Also the action in the sequel has been amped up to 11! Sadly, there aren't as many gunfights as the first and like its predecessor it has trouble keeping momentum towards the middle; however those are two very minor complaints! Expand
MichaelBagamerySep 5, 2014
I must have popped this one in badly wanting entertainment (why is 'Men in Black' supposed to be as funny as they say it is? Seriously, why?), but I watched it thinking, Maybe this won't be a clunker.

Much to my pleasant surprise, it was

Much to my pleasant surprise, it was not a clunker. It was really very good, though of course not as good as the original.

The only place 'Reloaded' really improves on the original 'Matrix' is in the action sequences, which are bigger and better. The story, however, is a bit less well-written than the first one's, and while it was interesting to see the real-world side of the fight against the machines, so to speak, the point where they introduce the Merovingian just plain shuts down the whole plot. For what it's worth, though, I do actually think the Architect scene made up for it. (Maybe that's just because I like the occasional burst of $20 dialogue, which I can understand just fine, and if you can't, that is YOUR problem!)
WhatIsGilbertMulroneycakes?Oct 31, 2003
Matrix Reloaded? Isn't that some minor independent film that's supposed to be a bit good? Well, no, stop being so bloody arch. Pat C. makes a good point. There's a lot of stuff going on, what in the Big Lebowski was called "a Matrix Reloaded? Isn't that some minor independent film that's supposed to be a bit good? Well, no, stop being so bloody arch. Pat C. makes a good point. There's a lot of stuff going on, what in the Big Lebowski was called "a lot of threads in ol' Duder's head". And an awful lot of talking. Very. Portentous. And meaningful. Talking. Your enjoyment of the film pretty much hinges on your threshold for this sort of thing. Oh, and a complete lack of snobbery - because this isn't brain food. It just dresses the same way. Mind you, those with a predeliction toward nose-turning will have done so for the original and therefore wouldn't have come back, so we're safe. Jim A. basically hit the nail when he said that this is a movie for sitting there and watching rather than thinking about - and sometimes, I think, it demonstrates that it knows it. There are a fair few post-modern elements [*sound of readers screaming and scrolling away*] in the movie, such as Persephone talking about her husband and echoing the thoughts of everyone who's just sat through that first scene with him. Or the opening, one of the most post-modern [*more screams, faint sound of horses whinnying*] openings to a major movie in a while - because it's essentially the same as the first one...that is, until spoiler deleted. But never mind about post-modernism [*screams, whinnying*], the real reason anyone'll see this film is the Heart-Stopping, Head-Pounding Action Sequences!?. And by golly with a side order of gosh, but they're great. Too many of them too close to each other, for my money, but great nonetheless. The acting? It's good. Yes, even Keanu Reeves. He can do miserable and intense. Carrie-Ann Moss still doesn't do enough, but what she does she does well. Laurence Fishburne pulls off the neat trick of not making Morpheus seem like the biggest wanker that ever walked the Earth, Weaving Hugo (who, presumably because of LOTR, isn't in it as much) is still gold - that voice is just genius. Be advised: that's it as far as returning characters are concerned. Even those few who didn't die in the first film are nowhere to be seen here. Still, that's a blessing because the cast is huge enough as it is - and still, they're all good. Jada Pinkett Fresh Prince flits between charismatic and enigmatic without batting an eyelid, Harold Perrineau does his customary "worried yet pretending to be in control" job admirably, and Monica Belucci, well, she's wearing an interesting outfit there. Oh, and she gives a nicely seductive-yet-faintly-untrustworthy performance too. Oh, and good performances from the Rayment twins as well (except when they talk). I point it out because I still can't believe they went from being handymen on a British daytime DIY makeover show alongside Carol Vorderman, to the Matrix sequels. No kidding, that's where the brothers found them. Carol Vorderman to the Wachowski brothers. Incredible. Just occured to me, the Americans don't even know who Carol Vorderman is. So I've just wasted my time and yours. Sorry. Anyway, the film. There are problems, else I'd have given it 10: it's all a little...I don't know, bloated at times. So much stuff happens in the first twenty minutes I actually started to panic. Too much, too quickly. And it also suffers from Middle Child syndrome, just like The Two Towers, or Critters 3: it doesn't tell its own story so much as set up stuff for Revolutions, and so it sometimes feels vaguely unsatisfactory. Something of a cop-out toward the end as well. But then the real ending happens, and stuff is sort-of revealed that will set your head a-spinning. Then "To Be Concluded" and aw, nuts. Roll on Revolutions. Seriously. Recommended, with some caveats: 1) see the first film first, and 2) don't watch it if you think these kind of films are stupidbrainlesssick and wrongfor kids. They're not, but there'll be no telling you that. Expand
ManfredP.May 1, 2006
An incredible excercise in experimental, post-modern cinema. This kind of big-budget risk-taking is what classics are all about. Like 'Blade Runner' and '2001: A Space Odyssey' before it, 'The Matrix Reloaded' An incredible excercise in experimental, post-modern cinema. This kind of big-budget risk-taking is what classics are all about. Like 'Blade Runner' and '2001: A Space Odyssey' before it, 'The Matrix Reloaded' manages to say the things that are so difficult to say. Yes, there is action. Yes, there is spectacle. But beneath the jaw-dropping action sequences and the beautifully surreal art direction is a movie that questions the foundations of life, love and reality to a fundamental core that the more superficial first movie could never even touch. A masterwork to be rediscovered in generations to come. Expand
UyiO.Dec 5, 2005
A dense phiosophical action flick.
KDDec 13, 2005
This is the best action movie ever. very loyal to the original and it blows your mind at the same time.
DessyOct 9, 2011
What a fantastic, epic, AWEsome sequel. I love the first, but man, I love this more. It's just so, addictive. The effects are beautiful, with captivating new characters, awesome fighting scenes and a great climax. In my opinion, The best ofWhat a fantastic, epic, AWEsome sequel. I love the first, but man, I love this more. It's just so, addictive. The effects are beautiful, with captivating new characters, awesome fighting scenes and a great climax. In my opinion, The best of the trilogy. Expand
SkyrimGuy935Dec 10, 2014
The Matrix Reloaded is a worthy sequel to a sci-fi classic. Many more thought-provoking ideas are introduced, and the action is spectacular. However, it is not without its flaws. Some characters were underdeveloped, and a few of the actionThe Matrix Reloaded is a worthy sequel to a sci-fi classic. Many more thought-provoking ideas are introduced, and the action is spectacular. However, it is not without its flaws. Some characters were underdeveloped, and a few of the action sequences dragged on for too long. The dialog is also fairly wooden and witless. The ending, however, is genius and breathtaking, even if it is ultimately sequel-bait. Expand
MarickApr 18, 2015
The film is not as good as the first one. The story continues, but no longer has the same mystery as if it had first. .
Duke_NukemOct 15, 2015
As Neo himself said: Upgrade!

Neo has now a lot more powers and special abilities, he can even fly like Superman. This movie has a lot of nice action and a lot more people are now involved in the story. This is not necessarily better,
As Neo himself said: Upgrade!

This movie has a lot of nice action and a lot more people are now involved in the story. This is not necessarily better, especially Jade Pinkett Smith and others seem like they only side-track the story. The Wachowski Brothers must have thought It's a good way to open possibilities for a spin-off series or video games.

The whole Zion situation feels like it's just slowing down the story. And why is everyone dancing like they are some ancient tribe members who smoked too much pot?

Monica Bellucci looks amazing and it's fun to see how she plays with the feelings of Neo and Trinity.

There are some interesting new enemies and Hugo Weaving as agent Smith is a cool character. Keanu Reeves does a nice job again portraying Neo, but in the first movie he felt more relatable because he was more human. In this movie Neo and Morpheus look like a rock that can't feel any pain.

Most of the fights are well choreographed but the fight between Neo and all the agent Smith clones was clearly CGI, it feels like you're watching a cutscene in a video game.

The movie sometimes feels to heavy with all its serious messages and riddles. There's something like taking one self too serious.

But all in all this is a nice action movie. The big chase scene on the highway is very nice indeed. If they had made it a bit shorter and less heavy, I would probably have rated the movie a bit higher.
Jollyjoe1000Apr 30, 2016
this one slightly surpassed my expectations...............................................................................................................
EpicLadySpongeJan 20, 2016
At least it wasn't rushed unlike Revolutions which was released in the same year as the Matrix Reloaded. The Matrix Reloaded is another way to reload a franchise for money for a good way.
MasterRileyOct 11, 2016
The Matrix Reloaded is an enjoyable movie that builds decently upon the original and continues to have good action and performances. While it was entertaining overall, it does not reach the same level of quality as the original. The plot andThe Matrix Reloaded is an enjoyable movie that builds decently upon the original and continues to have good action and performances. While it was entertaining overall, it does not reach the same level of quality as the original. The plot and new characters aren't as intriguing, and the special effects this time around seem a bit too cartoonish and over the top. Expand
HatersWannaHateOct 3, 2016
A good second installment, but this movie started the downward spiral of the Wachowskis' ability to edit/make a quality movie. The middle portion of this movie is boring and irrelevant. Also, Trinity was not as sexy in this movie.A good second installment, but this movie started the downward spiral of the Wachowskis' ability to edit/make a quality movie. The middle portion of this movie is boring and irrelevant. Also, Trinity was not as sexy in this movie. Carrie-Anne Moss`had an injury and was not as fit as she was in the first film.

Despite all that, I still liked the movie, but it could have been a classic.
JPKMay 13, 2017
At least it's decent
At least it's decent
The first Matrix was an amazing movie. Sadly, The Matrix Reloaded is pretty disappointing if your expecting it to be the brilliant movie that was the first one. But still, it's quite fun with its characters, most of the special effects (I said most because the cgi during the second half of the Neo Vs Smith Clones battle gets pretty video game like), and the music score is still kick-ass. In conclusion, The Matrix Reloaded is not even close to being as good as the first one, but it's still a fun decent movie.