The Matrix

9.0

1. MichaelJ.
    Dec 28, 2005
    Great movie, one of my favorites. The ideas introduced in this movie were fascinating.
  2. Aug 19, 2013
    Nowadays, you could ask someone what film defined the sic-fi genre and made it what it is today, there's a good chance the film on the lips of many would be The Matrix, the 1999 bombshell which inspired, split and certainly opened up debate for the masses, some called it ridiculous, others were boggled by its complex plot but many respected the achievement the film had, and for goodNowadays, you could ask someone what film defined the sic-fi genre and made it what it is today, there's a good chance the film on the lips of many would be The Matrix, the 1999 bombshell which inspired, split and certainly opened up debate for the masses, some called it ridiculous, others were boggled by its complex plot but many respected the achievement the film had, and for good reason. Without stripping the plot down piece by piece and explaining what is and what isn't, The Matrix works with the idea that the world as we know it is actually a dream, that we are actually "plugged in" to the real world which is run by machines, and that Neo (Keanu Reeves) is the man to stop the war and give freedom back to the humans, this is what Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) believes, one of the captains of a resistance movement in the real world.
    Neo begins to learn the way of the Matrix, which can be summed up as the world we live in now, that it is actually a computer program created by the machines to control the populous.
    The Matrix itself, therefore, can be altered because it is a program, these people can walk on walls, slow down time and have quite an array of fighting skills, but its really when these parts come into play that the film starts to loose is unique touch and starts to conform, we have shootouts, running, typical villains and a sense of losing steam, the premise remains, but the action becomes bloated and apparently necessary. There is a vast array of characters, already mentioning Neo and Morpheus, we have Trinity, an experienced member of the crew and a love interest of Neo, we have also have Mr Smith, an agent of the Matrix intent on the destruction of the remaining human world, Zion. There are various other characters but they aren't widely used, the primary focus is the path that Neo must take, and the decisions he must make.
    We have the introduction of "bullet time" which of course is common ground now in Hollywood but its humble beginnings in the film will leave your jaw on the floor, the Watchowski brothers have utilised an intelligent, sometimes confusing plot but still manage to keep us up to date, while also showing some impressive effects and scenarios that will really have you questioning everything around you, if of course you keep an open mind.
    Certainly an interesting and dramatic tale, one which continues to stand the test of time with its remarkably risky script and its choice of lead roles, but while it can take a turn into familiar territory, there is still fresh and enjoyable fun to be had with The Matrix, it opens plenty of questions and begs the viewer to attempt a straight answer, and thats what getting engaged in a film is all about.
  3. Jan 12, 2013
    After all those years this still remains probably the most perfect scifi action movie to date (together with T2). Maybe it only has 415 VFX shots (a romantic comedy these days has more vfx shots) but they are all used where they count the most and they still hold up very well for an almost 14 year old film. The Blu-ray transfer is absolutely exellent and as good as a 35mm on BD can everAfter all those years this still remains probably the most perfect scifi action movie to date (together with T2). Maybe it only has 415 VFX shots (a romantic comedy these days has more vfx shots) but they are all used where they count the most and they still hold up very well for an almost 14 year old film. The Blu-ray transfer is absolutely exellent and as good as a 35mm on BD can ever look. There's not a scratch to be seen, not the slightest woble and just the right amount of grain (no NR). Some have complained about the colors but for me they look as they should be (the Matrix world a bit more greenish than the real world) and the detail in the black levels (of which there are allot) is perfect (on the first DVD release they were a bit mushy). The Dolby 5.1 sound of the DVD was already superb but here you get it in an uncompressed TrueHD track. Expand
  4. Jul 5, 2012
    The Matrix was a damn good movie. This is review for the first movie because the other ones are in a different category (Matrix Reload, Matrix Revolutions). The movie starts off with the audience saying, "what the hell is going on." You don't have to wait until the end of movie to understand it. About forty minutes into the movie you should understand it. There is some guy Neo that isThe Matrix was a damn good movie. This is review for the first movie because the other ones are in a different category (Matrix Reload, Matrix Revolutions). The movie starts off with the audience saying, "what the hell is going on." You don't have to wait until the end of movie to understand it. About forty minutes into the movie you should understand it. There is some guy Neo that is living in a dreamworld which is basically a huge computer program (that would be a butt load of html). He eventually gets out of the dreamworld and is free. If you want to know the rest you should see it. Neo is played by Keanu Reeves (Speed), Agent Smith is the elf dude from Lord of the Rings, and Morphis can be found in Pee Wee's Playhouse (not kidding). I believe that this movie helped change plot lines for movies. This movie makes the audience confused for awhile yet the movie still kicks ass. It seemed like many movies were sticking with simple plot lines with bombs and terrorists, etc. Now we have movies that are confusing like Shutter Island and Inception. The special effects in the movie are really good. You cant tell what was computer created which is something that is not always present in today's movies. If you have not seen this movie then you should buy and see it, because it is a movie that can be seen over and over again (the second and third Matrix movies are disappointing; so I would advice you not to necessarily buy those. Expand
  5. Apr 22, 2013
    Brilliant concept, perhaps a little more thought could have been given to the plot details, but most of this movie is for the eyes! The acting is amazing for a 1990's action film and undoubtedly one of my all-time favourites. The top-of-the-time CGI is breathtaking, spawning many cultural references to the 'Matrix Move' made popular by this film. Overall, this movie is extremelyBrilliant concept, perhaps a little more thought could have been given to the plot details, but most of this movie is for the eyes! The acting is amazing for a 1990's action film and undoubtedly one of my all-time favourites. The top-of-the-time CGI is breathtaking, spawning many cultural references to the 'Matrix Move' made popular by this film. Overall, this movie is extremely entertaining and will always be a favourite amongst many. Expand
  6. Sep 6, 2013
    Modern classics of Sci-Fi, this movie carries a whole philosophy in itself. Interesting setting and concept, martial arts, great fight scenes, bullet dodging and you name what else make this movie so popular, and it's popularity is fair.
  7. Sep 12, 2012
    This was an awesome film that should be watched by everyone.
  8. Sep 19, 2012
    Great movie. A beautiful mix of action and thought-provoking ideas. Deserves a 10 for sure. This movie is a great movie to rent if you want a great thought provoking movie like Inception, with non-stop action. The special effects are a little cheesy though.
  9. Oct 11, 2013
    This is one of the greatest movies of all time. Amazing special effects, surprisingly good acting, an interesting, different but yet soothing and epic soundtrack, and non stop action makes this movie amazing.
  10. Aug 21, 2014
    A kinetic, spellbinding, revolutionary movie. It's thought provoking, exciting, and one of the most memorable movies ever made. It may have a few flaws, such as being a little too show offy with its visual effects, and some lines are extremely pretentious, but there are few films as atmospheric or as mind-bendingly ambitious as the Matrix. Did I mention that the production design isA kinetic, spellbinding, revolutionary movie. It's thought provoking, exciting, and one of the most memorable movies ever made. It may have a few flaws, such as being a little too show offy with its visual effects, and some lines are extremely pretentious, but there are few films as atmospheric or as mind-bendingly ambitious as the Matrix. Did I mention that the production design is incredible and that the score also fits perfectly? Even Keanu Reeves' performance isn't terrible, which is almost impossible. If you like sci-fi at all the chances are you'll love this. But I'm willing to bet you already do. Expand
  11. Feb 14, 2013
    Quite possibly one of the greatest action movies of all time. The world of the matrix is so intriguing you can't help but be hooked on what the movie throws at you. Great characters, a gripping story and some great special effects even over 10 years later.
  12. Feb 9, 2013
    The Matrix helps you thinking about the question "What is reality?". This is an epistemological question: is the world we see around us the real world itself or merely an internal perceptual copy of that world generated by neural processes in our brain.
  13. Jun 30, 2014
    People have been telling me to watch this movie for the past 3 years. I only just recently sat down to watch it. And good God am I happy that I did. The whole premise of the movie is awesome. Evil robots against rebel humans is all you have to say and I'll be sold. To top it all off, the action is still awesome 15 years later. As far as action movies go, this is one of the best I've seenPeople have been telling me to watch this movie for the past 3 years. I only just recently sat down to watch it. And good God am I happy that I did. The whole premise of the movie is awesome. Evil robots against rebel humans is all you have to say and I'll be sold. To top it all off, the action is still awesome 15 years later. As far as action movies go, this is one of the best I've seen in a while.
    There are a few small flaws. At times the acting can be average, and there is one very glaring plot hole (I won't go into details due to spoilers). However these issues are not significant enough to hurt the experience.
  14. Jul 5, 2013
    Matrix (1999)

Matrix der Film aus dem letzten Jahrtausend. Ja, so alt ist dieser Film schon. Wenn man Matrix in ein Film-Genre einordnen wollte, so wären wohl Action und Science Fiction die Hauptkategorien. Das allein wird dem Werk jedoch nicht gerecht. Neben minutenlangen Baller-Szenen entpuppt sich eine Wahnsinnsstory, die ins Philosophische geht. Aber erst einmal zu den Anfängen.
    Matrix (1999)

Aber erst einmal zu den Anfängen.
    Der Protagonist, Thomas Anderson (gespielt von Keanu Reeves), ist ein Computer-Hacker und führt ein isoliertes Leben. Doch dann wird ihm eine geheimnisvolle Botschaft von Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) auf seinem Computer gesendet. Noch unklar, was ihn erwarten wird, beschließt er, dieser Nachricht auf den Grund zu gehen. In einem Nachtclub trifft er dann eine junge Frau namens Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss), die ihn zu einem Treffen mit Morpheus überreden will. Durch eine Wendung der Ereignisse wird er zur Zielscheibe eines Agententeams. Die einzigen Personen, die ihm helfen wollen, sind eben jene zwielichtigen Personen, die ihm eine "Wahrheit" verkaufen wollen, die er sich nicht im Entferntesten vorstellen kann. Ist die Welt real oder nur eine computergesteuerte, von Maschinen beherrschte, virtuelle Illusion?

Regie und Drehbuch führen die Wachowski-Geschwister, die ebenfalls das Drehbuch für "V wie Vendetta" schrieben. Ihnen und der sehr guten Leistung der Schauspieler ist es zu verdanken, dass zu keinem Zeitpunkt im Film eine Handlung realitätsfremd wirkt.
    Neben der erstklassigen Schauspielarbeit tragen die herausragenden Spezialeffekte enorm zur Atmosphäre bei.
    Für ein Science Fiction Werk genial, für seine Zeit Weltklasse. Bullet-Time, eines der wesentlichsten und markantesten Effekte, feierte nach Matrix eine Revolution im Action-Genre. Jedoch ist ihre Anwendung in Matrix bisher noch unübertroffen.
    Farbfilter, wie sie in "300" oder "Kill Bill" bekannt sind, kommen auch bei Matrix zu Einsatz.

Wie bereits erwähnt sind aber gerade die philosophisch/religiösen Elemente und Hinweise, welche im ganzen Film durch Namensgebung Handlungen und Dialogen auftauchen, besonders hervorzuheben. Versteckt unter der ganzen Action behandelt der Film die Mythen verschiedener Religionen und Weltanschauungen und wirft durchaus tiefgründige Fragen auf.

Wer diesen Film noch nicht gesehen hat, wer seine Brillanz nicht verstanden hat, der sollte einen Besuch bei der Videothek einplanen. An diesem Meisterwerk führt kein Weg vorbei Matrix ist die rote Kapsel Teil 2 und 3 wohl eher die blaue…
  15. Sep 6, 2013
    A really great and deep movie. Very interesting plot that will have you thinking alot once it finishes. WIll simply blow your mind away, a must watch!
  16. Aug 18, 2013
    This movie is one the top 10 of all time. Most of the movies out there never satisfied me very well but I think The Matrix is a masterpiece. I maybe do not agree with all the concepts in the movie but the story just makes you think about every aspect of your life again. Each time you watch this movie you will understand more of it. The most remarkable thing about The Matrix is, theThis movie is one the top 10 of all time. Most of the movies out there never satisfied me very well but I think The Matrix is a masterpiece. I maybe do not agree with all the concepts in the movie but the story just makes you think about every aspect of your life again. Each time you watch this movie you will understand more of it. The most remarkable thing about The Matrix is, the directors have thought about every single scene in the movie and if you pay more attention you will find signs and symbols all over the places! Watch this movie more than once! Expand
  17. Jan 16, 2016
    Anyone who dislikes this film obviously doest understand what it is about and what point it is trying to get across. One of my favourite movies of all time.
  18. Oct 21, 2013
    Saw this movie for the first time yesterday. Although a lot of it was cheesy and the costumes were ridiculous, it was very engrossing and I was never bored.
  19. Dec 11, 2013
    A mind-bending movie. The story of Neo, a computer hacker who learns that the entire world is simply a dream created by machines to keep human's minds occupied so they can be harvested for energy, is incredible, simply because one day it may actually happen. The fights are incredibly choreographed, and the special effects were revolutionary for their time, and still hold up today. BuckleA mind-bending movie. The story of Neo, a computer hacker who learns that the entire world is simply a dream created by machines to keep human's minds occupied so they can be harvested for energy, is incredible, simply because one day it may actually happen. The fights are incredibly choreographed, and the special effects were revolutionary for their time, and still hold up today. Buckle up and prepare for The Matrix! (and its crappy sequels). Expand
  20. Jul 8, 2015
    The Matrix is a classic science fiction film that has a astonishing three dimensional cartoon world and has artsy action like you would see in a comic book but in 3D. What makes the film special, is it's taking a journey with it's characters and people watching the movie trying to figure out this matrix universe, the film does not spoon feed the audience. It describe many details asThe Matrix is a classic science fiction film that has a astonishing three dimensional cartoon world and has artsy action like you would see in a comic book but in 3D. What makes the film special, is it's taking a journey with it's characters and people watching the movie trying to figure out this matrix universe, the film does not spoon feed the audience. It describe many details as possible. Neil (Keanu Reeves) is a young hacker who wants to know what is the matrix, so he thinks Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) the dangerous man alive, to answer his question. He is contacted by Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss) so they can go to a mysterious underworld were they'll meet Morpheus. Their fighting for their lives against intelligent secret agents. It is a truth that could cost Neo something more precious than his life. I don't care if people think Reeves is a bad actor, to be honest he's like able but this guy is trying to make his character awesome, likeable and to root for while he proves he's a physical actor, which makes the action more better. Laurence Fishburne as the leader is the best leader in the film, he awnsers all the questions that audiences have, he's something people need while watching the film. Writen and directed by the Wachowski brothers, they put so much detail in their marvel script and if there's one thing that they achieve in directing their action block busters is understanding the art of an action scene. Bill Pope's camera work is so mindblowing and that's why the Matrix is equally good about the film, and make the action scene more better. The film is well-made, astonishing camera work and written and directed by the talented Wachowski brothers. Grade A+ Expand
  21. Nov 11, 2014
    One of my favorite movies of all time that changed the face of special effects in movies forever. This film is a must see for action fans and sci-fi fans. This movie is a true masterpiece.
  22. Apr 16, 2015
    The Matrix is one of the best movies that I've seen. The special effects, actors, everything in this movie is very well chosen and managed to be one of the best movie I've seen.
  23. Dec 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 'You think that's air you're breathing right now?' The Matrix whips up a feast of special effects, dialogue as well as sub textual meaning. Stellar performances by Reeves, Fishburne and of course Hugo Weaving as the indomitable Agent Smith, ensure that this movie sits rightly on the pantheon of classic sci-fi movies-wicked. The Wachowski brothers outdid themselves; using the Sydney CBD and the hovercraft to provide a dystopian setting, suitable for the new millennium. 5 Stars (from a biased Sydneysider). Expand
  24. Dec 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Matrix is an awesome movie. I mean it's really the thinking man's action movie. What the wachowski brothers did with this film was amazing. The Kung-Fu action sequences were incredible, done to perfection. plus the bullet time sequences were so cool, nothing else compares. I just loved this awesome man's movie. Love it, Love it. Expand
  25. Jan 12, 2015
    the best of all time.i have one reason for that.
    any time you see this again discover new layer of film.
    its a full of meanings.involving and Philosophic.
  26. Feb 23, 2015
    the only thing that even comes close to this is LOTR....but this is even more anti gov than anything i've ever heard of.....therefore this movie number 1 despite the sequels.....the fact that he gets covered in a mirror only makes metaphorical sense but like it a lot...the fact that the first cops are already dead is kinda lame....who cares....also who cares that morphius can only guidethe only thing that even comes close to this is LOTR....but this is even more anti gov than anything i've ever heard of.....therefore this movie number 1 despite the sequels.....the fact that he gets covered in a mirror only makes metaphorical sense but like it a lot...the fact that the first cops are already dead is kinda lame....who cares....also who cares that morphius can only guide neo to evade the agents in the beginning.....that seriously might be all thats wrong with it .....whats wrong with me now is the question....- JRA Expand
  27. Apr 30, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Loving the action sequences and special effects to this very day, I had my eyes focused on the situation on who is the matrix and how to know what it is from beginning to end, and filled me with lots of questions on reality(but knowing its not true and meant for entertainment)

A spectacular thrill ride in the style of a cyber update of Alice in Wonderland, Keeanu Reeves plays Neo, a computer hack who unlocks the secret of the matrix and fines himself thrown into the deep underworld of reality where the discovery that interstellar machines have exploited the human race for generations, is uncovered. Neo is found by the rebellion and their leader Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) who believes Neo is the chosen one, and they both set out to survive with freedom in their hands, and the Matrix is sending enemies closing in on them.

though it was kind of flawed looking, it is still a great movie that could have been the next star wars hadn't its sequels been so awful other than that one of the most action packed sic-fi fantasies ever shown on the big screen

which pill would you choose?
  28. Apr 19, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Get this: what if all we know as reality was, in fact, virtual reality? Reality itself is a ravaged dystopia run by technocrat Artificial Intelligence where humankind vegetates in billions of gloop-filled tanks - mere battery packs for the machineworld - being fed this late '90s VR (known as The Matrix - you with us here?) through an ugly great cable stuck in the back of our heads. And what if there was a group of quasi-spiritual rebels infiltrating The Matrix with the sole purpose of crashing the ruddy great mainframe and rescuing humans from their unknown purgatory? And, hey, what if Keanu Reeves was their Messiah?

What sounds like some web freak's wet dream is, in fact, a dazzlingly nifty slice of sci-fi cool. The Wachowski Brothers (Andy and Larry - last seen dabbling in kinky lesbian noir with the excellent Bound) pulling off something like a million masterstrokes all at once. Taking the imprimatur of the video game, they meld the grungy noir of Blade Runner, the hyperkinetic energies of chopsocky, John Woo hardware and grandiose spiritual overtones into William Gibson's cyberpunk ethos to produce a new aesthetic for the millennium powered to the thudding beat of techno. And it is just incredible fun. The key is the technique of "flo-mo", a process born from Japanese animation, whereby an object in motion is seemingly frozen while the camera miraculously spins around it as if time and gravity are on hold. It grants the action (including some killer kung fu which Reeves and crew spent months perfecting) liberty to take on surreal visual highs. Superhuman feats permissible, of course, in the context of VR as the rebels download Herculean "talents" to fuel their subterfuge. Meanwhile, the audience can only gawp longingly, with its jaws thunking to the cinema floor in unison, as the heroes wrapped in skintight leather, sleek shades and designer cheekbones, spin up walls, leap from high rises and slip through streams of bullets in silken slo-mo. Tron this ain't.

Immediately reigniting the moribund cyberpunk genre (the kids can't get enough Stateside), this has thrust Reeves from his imploding career back to Speed highs (and laying to rest the hideous ghost of Johnny Mnemonic) and stolen much more of Star Wars' thunder than was thought humanly possible. For all its loony plot, The Matrix is fabulous.

Sure, the expert Fishburne is depended upon to expound the lion's share of the script as seer-like rebel leader Morpheus. Reeves, stunning in his newcast slenderness, as Thomas "Neo" Anderson, the hacker turned hope for all mankind (care of some ill-defined mystical calling) is asked little more than perpetual befuddlement. Like Speed, though, this movie plays on his iconic looks rather than his oak-like emoting. There's a major find, too, in the irresistible Carrie-Anne Moss, a majestically wrought combination of steely **** intelligence and rock-chick vivaciousness as fellow tripper Trinity. And Weaving, cast against type, neutralises his Aussie tones to a freaky deadpan, the head of the MiB-styled defence system set against the Goth invaders.

And sure, three minutes of post-movie deliberation and all this state-of-the-art cyberdevilry is reduced to the purest **** That, though, is not the point. The Matrix is about pure experience; it's been many a moon since the Empire crew have spilled out of a cinema literally buzzing with the sensation of a movie, babbling frenetically with the sheer excitement of discovery.

From head to tail, the deliciously inventive Wachowskis (watch them skyrocket) have delivered the syntax for a new kind of movie: technically mind-blowing, style merged perfectly with content and just so damn cool, the usher will have to drag you kicking and screaming back into reality. You can bet your bottom dollar George never saw this phantom menace coming.

Verdict
  29. Apr 24, 2015
    There's no sophomore jinx for the Wachowski Brothers. Andy and Larry, a pair of obviously talented film makers, have returned to theaters with The Matrix, a science fiction thriller that is every bit the match of their debut effort, Bound, for tension, excitement, and intelligence. In an era when movie scripts (especially those pigeonholed into the science fiction genre) are becomingThere's no sophomore jinx for the Wachowski Brothers. Andy and Larry, a pair of obviously talented film makers, have returned to theaters with The Matrix, a science fiction thriller that is every bit the match of their debut effort, Bound, for tension, excitement, and intelligence. In an era when movie scripts (especially those pigeonholed into the science fiction genre) are becoming increasingly more stupid and special effects reliant, the Wachowskis prove that style and substance do not have to be mutually exclusive.

I loved The Matrix, and only a few minor contrivances associated with the climax caused the film to miss a 10/10 rating. The movie is kinetic, atmospheric, visually stunning, and mind-bending. It toys with the boundaries between reality and fantasy in unique and interesting ways. In its approach and content, it reminded me of last year's vastly underrated Dark City. There's also a synergy with two movies due to be released within the next month: David Cronenberg's eXistenZ and Alejandro Amenabar's Open Your Eyes. The Matrix is undeniably science fiction, but, unlike most pictures claiming that association, it never falls into the boring, expected patterns of space battles and laser gun shoot-outs. Instead, it ventures into territory that, while not virgin, is sufficiently interesting to provide an involving, invigorating backdrop.

There's much more to The Matrix than this, but to explain further would be to reveal plot twists better discovered through viewing. Although the film frequently toys with the blurred line between grim reality and computer-generated fantasy, it rarely leaves the viewer completely confused (except, perhaps, at the very beginning). The Wachowskis have carefully structured the story in such a way that the audience is capable of following the action and understanding what's going on even when all of the secrets have not been revealed. Nevertheless, because The Matrix is intelligent, it will defeat those unwilling to invest some intellectual participation. The payoff is worth the effort.

Stylistically, The Matrix is much like Bound. Both films are visually stunning, with images painstakingly constructed and action sequences choreographed to excite the eye and quicken the pulse. The Wachowskis use a varied pallette that includes shadows, slow motion, quick cuts, and offbeat humor to paint a unique portrait. Like in Dark City, theirs is a grim world, where darkness and gloom seemingly always hold sway. Everything from the set design to the costumes (lots of black, lots of sunglasses) is intended to contribute to an overall look. When it comes to shoot-outs, the Wachowskis show that John Woo isn't the only director capable of doing interesting things with familiar devices. The shots of Keanu Reeves streaking down a hall with guns blazing all around him and the air thick with shattered bits of concrete is only one of many snapshots that lingers in the mind's eye long after they have vanished from the screen. The special effects, which are not as numerous as those in many science fiction pieces, are flawless.

The Matrix offers a little something for everyone. The die-hard science fiction fan will discover a plot that mixes and matches both new and old conventions of the genre in a compelling fashion. Action aficionados will find that there's no shortage of electric excitement, whether it's in the form of hand-to-hand kung fu-type fights or shoot-outs with seemingly limitless ammunition. There's also betrayal, a little romance, some humor, and a moral dilemma or two, all wrapped into a well-produced package. As I stated earlier, the way in which the Wachowskis choose to resolve everything seems slightly contrived, but, in the overall scheme of things, that's a small price to pay for one of the most enjoyable science fiction thrillers to reach the screen in months.
  30. May 9, 2015

Keanu Reeves is not generally regarded as a strong actor, but, given the right part - one that doesn't demand much subtlety or emoting - he can be effective. His role as Neo fits the criteria. The Matrix needs a leading man who can look good, act cool, and not stumble over his dialogue, and Reeves is three for three. It's easily his best work since Speed, where the same kinds of demands were made of him. For more nuanced performances, the Wachowskis rely on the rest of the cast: the always excellent Laurence Fishburne, brilliant character actor Joe Pantoliano (who appeared in Bound), and Carrie-Anne Moss, who looks great in black leather. Aussie Hugo Weaving (Proof) brings the perfect mix of dry wit and menace to his role as the head Man in Black.

31. Oct 14, 2015
    Someone roll in the green screen...

Someone roll in the green screen...

The Wachowski brothers did an excellent job with this movie. The story is very interesting and the camera work is refreshing at the time, especially the special effects like bullet-time. Also the stunts like running on walls, dodging bullets and kung fu that excels any laws of gravity. And the camera always follows the actors even if they run on roofs, jump from building to building, through windows into the next building...

Keanu Reeves is not the best actor but he's perfect in the role of the cool Neo and you gotta admit he looks good in black. Carrie-Anne Moss is a good counterpart for Neo. And then there's of course Hugo Weaving as agent Smith who...talks........ really................................................ slow.

The real question burning on everybody's lips is naturally: are we really living in the Matrix? For the answer on that question please turn this page.
  32. Oct 17, 2015
    This is a film of serious philosophical depth and insight. The Matrix also overflows with religious allusions and parallels from Christianity and Buddhism. Although The Matrix may seem loaded with stunning visuals only for the sake of visceral enjoyment at first, there is a profound interplay between the action and the underlying meanings of the film. The infrastructural visuals also giveThis is a film of serious philosophical depth and insight. The Matrix also overflows with religious allusions and parallels from Christianity and Buddhism. Although The Matrix may seem loaded with stunning visuals only for the sake of visceral enjoyment at first, there is a profound interplay between the action and the underlying meanings of the film. The infrastructural visuals also give us a glimpse of this duality. While the world of the Matrix is portrayed as homogeneous, predictable, and tinted a sickly green, the real world is portrayed as dark, earthy and tinted a mysterious indigo. Expand
  33. Oct 23, 2015
    The Matrix. What can i say about it? It's an iconic movie. It created this huge popular phenomenon around it where almost everyone knows about the movie. The first and second act of the movie were really mind blowing and captivating. Unfortunately, The Wachowski brothers cinematography looks dated now, and the third act doesn't hold up anymore. All in all, it's a great movie. GreatThe Matrix. What can i say about it? It's an iconic movie. It created this huge popular phenomenon around it where almost everyone knows about the movie. The first and second act of the movie were really mind blowing and captivating. Unfortunately, The Wachowski brothers cinematography looks dated now, and the third act doesn't hold up anymore. All in all, it's a great movie. Great casting, good memorable characters, and the movie itself is very quote-able. Expand
  34. Feb 27, 2016
    The Matrix was (in 1999) a complete revolution in Hollywood film-making. Combining state of the art CGI effects, proper old-school Hong Kong style fight choreography, and an intelligent, well written story... It comes together and creates an instant classic.

It's one of those 'where were you when you first saw it' movies, that resonate for years afterwards in your own mind. Asking questions about human existence, free will, fate, morality, duality of self... It's a philosophical debate hiding inside a kick-ass action movie.

It's one of the most 'complete' films too, with an ending that makes sense and leaves the imagination to wonder what might actually happen.

Two vastly inferior 'cash-grab' sequels followed, no doubt at the insistence of a studio desperate for more, and probably used as a gun to the head to the Wachowski Brothers.

It's not a perfect movie, the whole 'Jesus' paradigm is a little forced, and the much lauded 'bullet time' special effect now looks very dated!

But, forget the sequels, watch the original. If you've never seen it, I guarantee it won't disappoint.
  35. Nov 29, 2015
    Don't miss the first minute of this movie. That's how fast and interesting it is. And the most interesting concept of it all, that we are not really here. Our perception of the world is a computer construct that we are hard wired into. Too far out? Then you won't like this. By the way, Neo (Keanu) goes to a bar to meet his contact. That bar is in Australia. It was not constructedDon't miss the first minute of this movie. That's how fast and interesting it is. And the most interesting concept of it all, that we are not really here. Our perception of the world is a computer construct that we are hard wired into. Too far out? Then you won't like this. By the way, Neo (Keanu) goes to a bar to meet his contact. That bar is in Australia. It was not constructed for this movie. It and the patrons look like that everyday. Too far out? The sequels went downhill from this movie so I only have this one in my collection. Expand
  36. Dec 22, 2015
    Not the best movie of all time, but I really appreciate ambitious movies that are full of interesting ideas. The matrix is certainly ambitious and has many new, interesting ideas. A lot of fun to watch.
  37. Apr 17, 2016
    You see a lot of reviews at Metacritic complaining about how "overrated" such and such a movie is. Well please allow me to nominate The Matrix as the Most Under-rated Movie here. The Matrix is more intelligent, more stylish, more exciting and better looking than any other movie made in the last twenty years. It is probably the best Science Fiction movie ever made, far better than suchYou see a lot of reviews at Metacritic complaining about how "overrated" such and such a movie is. Well please allow me to nominate The Matrix as the Most Under-rated Movie here. The Matrix is more intelligent, more stylish, more exciting and better looking than any other movie made in the last twenty years. It is probably the best Science Fiction movie ever made, far better than such pretenders as Blade Runner or Forbidden Planet and challenged in stature only by the beauty and mystery of 2001 and by the pure popcorn entertainment of Star Wars. Expand
  38. Jan 20, 2016
    The action is right there... right where it lies, and you're going to love this action flick. What the Wachowski Brothers have in mind is what they appear as they direct the Matrix.
  39. Apr 22, 2016
    in case you've been living under a rock THIS is the movie that defines all good movies. this movie is to movies what engines are to cars, what sugar is to cake and what chicken is to KFC..
  40. Mar 22, 2016
    After scoring an art-house hit with the small-scale, tightly plotted, highly enjoyable thriller Bound—which took off once the requisite overdone Zalman King-style lesbian sex had been taken care of—the Wachowski Brothers (Andy and Larry) have gone big, made a movie for über-producer Joel Silver, thrown in loads of special effects, and cast Johnny Mnemonic star Keanu Reeves in the lead. AndAfter scoring an art-house hit with the small-scale, tightly plotted, highly enjoyable thriller Bound—which took off once the requisite overdone Zalman King-style lesbian sex had been taken care of—the Wachowski Brothers (Andy and Larry) have gone big, made a movie for über-producer Joel Silver, thrown in loads of special effects, and cast Johnny Mnemonic star Keanu Reeves in the lead. And damned if it doesn't work.

In The Matrix, a surprisingly tolerable Reeves plays a pasty computer hacker who begins to receive mysterious messages from an unknown source. Shortly after encountering a bunch of identical-looking authority figures, he hooks up with a mysterious band of outsiders led by Laurence Fishburne and Carrie-Anne Moss (Models Inc.) who clue him in that nothing around him is as it appears. Story-wise, nothing in The Matrix will surprise too many people: In addition to resembling both in concept and content the worthwhile Dark City, there's not much more to it than ideas about the subjectivity of reality reworked from Descartes, Philip K. Dick, and William Gibson and channeled into an operatic science-fiction metaphor about non-conformity (and drug use).

But the Wachowskis do it so playfully well, keeping The Matrix's potentially confusing plot intelligible, intelligent, and suspenseful, that it doesn't matter. As far as sheer spectacle goes, it's the most exciting thing to come along in quite a while. Where other films are done in by the freedom offered by computer effects, The Matrix integrates them beautifully, making fetus-tending robots, helicopters gently collapsing into buildings, and elaborate, gravity-defying kung-fu fighting seem like perfectly plausible elements of the universe it creates, a universe that deserves to be seen.
  41. Jan 15, 2011
    No matter how mush times you watch this, its always entertaining. The story is very deep, the cast is great and the special effects are still good even if this game out more 11 years ago.
  42. Dec 12, 2013
    Easily the best movies ever made. Amazing action and story, great acting, too. I don't want to spoil anything because this is too good, just watch it. You will crap your pants, at the sheer awesomeness.

And don't forget all of the unforgettable lines like "Not like this, not like this"

Watch this movie or I will find you, I will hurt you, then I will kill you.
  43. Sep 30, 2011
    i absolutely loved the spectacular future vision! it must have taken quite the imagination to come up with such a future for our earth. the action is unmatched too.
  44. Feb 11, 2012
    The late '90s were a period in film that saw a sudden resurgence in science fiction. The quickly approaching Y2K symbolised a time of transition, wonder, and technological advancement. Though these positives are reflected in The Matrix, it is mostly the negative aspects of the new millennium's dawn that it feeds upon. Paranoia, uncertainty, and fear are the themes that the film addressesThe late '90s were a period in film that saw a sudden resurgence in science fiction. The quickly approaching Y2K symbolised a time of transition, wonder, and technological advancement. Though these positives are reflected in The Matrix, it is mostly the negative aspects of the new millennium's dawn that it feeds upon. Paranoia, uncertainty, and fear are the themes that the film addresses like no other in Hollywood at the time, while simultaneously being action-packed and visually stunning. What The Matrix is perhaps most well known for, however, is its complex, engaging plot that almost any viewer can relate to. All of this is delivered with superb direction, making full use of subtle nuances and symbolism to embellish the story. The only misstep lies in the casting of Reeves, who is so painfully uncharismatic and distant in his performance that it's puzzling how he could ever be the chosen one of anything. Expand
  45. Jul 2, 2012
    The Wachowski Brothers' sci-fi actioner is primarily remembered for its distinctive aesthetic style and physics-defying action, but what makes The Matrix really stand out is its exceedingly creative exploration of some big philosophical themes, most notably concepts of reality and free will. These ideas are discussed through the film's dark and layered story premise that supposesThe Wachowski Brothers' sci-fi actioner is primarily remembered for its distinctive aesthetic style and physics-defying action, but what makes The Matrix really stand out is its exceedingly creative exploration of some big philosophical themes, most notably concepts of reality and free will. These ideas are discussed through the film's dark and layered story premise that supposes humanity's research into artificial intelligence technology resulted in a machine rebellion and the near-total extinction of the human race, and the construction of an elaborate computer simulation dubbed "The Matrix" in order to keep the survivors enslaved. The plot leaves ample opportunity for flaunting plenty of eye-popping and complex action sequences, groundbreaking special effects, and for some quotes from the Wachowski's simple but effective script to become iconic. All the cast are strong, particularly Reeves, Weaving and the quite brilliant Joe Pantoliano, whose performance is complex, entertaining and full of subtle nuances. The best scenes in the film are Neo's training for survival within The Matrix, where essential skills are uploaded directly to his noggin, and his climactic fight with the film's primary antagonist, Agent Smith. As effective a blockbuster as The Matrix is, the strong religious overtones of certain elements of the plot can be a little hard to swallow when they become too blatant, and some of the supposedly intellectual concepts Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) attempts to explain to Neo, and by extension the viewer, sometimes sound like they have been lifted from a high school philosophy essay. Despite these little gripes, The Matrix is always fun, visually stunning and considerably more intelligent than the vast majority of modern big-budget science fiction films.The sequels never surpassed this first instalment on any terms, even with the mountains of cash that was piled onto the franchise, so remember this one with fondness, and perhaps forget the others, particularly Revolutions. Expand
  46. Mar 8, 2014
    An intelligent and thrilling sci-fi spectacle. It has excellent visuals, intense Hong Kong action, and a potentially confusing and complex plot. The more you think about it, the more awesome it gets.
  47. Oct 19, 2011
    The movie can be a bit confusing at times and hard to follow, but it all makes sense the further you dive into the movie. It's a great movie full of action and great effects. It isn't an ordinary movie in terms of the storyline and plot, but it is good. The twist through the middle is great, and it is another movie that can be watched over and over in my opinion. A fantastic movie that hasThe movie can be a bit confusing at times and hard to follow, but it all makes sense the further you dive into the movie. It's a great movie full of action and great effects. It isn't an ordinary movie in terms of the storyline and plot, but it is good. The twist through the middle is great, and it is another movie that can be watched over and over in my opinion. A fantastic movie that has added a tiny bit of sci-fi through it, without really involving aliens much, a great watch! Expand
  48. Aug 27, 2011
    I was nearly bored to death during the first 90 mins of this movie. But the final escape and fight scenes were so outstanding that i couldn't even stop to breathe. If the whole of film were as exciting as the final part, then this would be the best movie i have ever watched...
  49. Jun 15, 2014
    It's been over 10 years since I've seen the Matrix, and to be completely honest with you, back then, I didn't really get it the way I did this time. When the film was made it was a huge risk for the production company, as it was extremely expensive, and featured a first a time Director, using a new kind of computerized effects. 15 years later and the film is considered to be one of theIt's been over 10 years since I've seen the Matrix, and to be completely honest with you, back then, I didn't really get it the way I did this time. When the film was made it was a huge risk for the production company, as it was extremely expensive, and featured a first a time Director, using a new kind of computerized effects. 15 years later and the film is considered to be one of the best science fiction movies ever made. For those unfamiliar with the story, it takes place 200 years in the future, a time where machines have taken control of the planet and 99% of humans live in blissful ignorance, as pawns in stasis, living out there lives in a dreamworld called the Matrix. The other 1% know the truth and will do whatever it takes to defeat the machines. The crew of the Nebuchadnezzar leads the charge, following an ancient prophecy, that says they will one day discover a human with extraordinary abilities, that will lead to the destruction of the Matrix. That man is named Neo and is played by Keanu Reeves, in what many consider to be his crowning achievement. Reeves is often put down for being too dark and emotionless in his roles, but that is exactly what the role of Neo calls for, making Reeves the perfect choice to play him. Reeves is paired with veteran actor Laurence Fishburne, who as Morpheus, is like the pope of this new world. He is the one who discovered the prophecy and who risks everything for Neo. The story of the Matrix is one of the most original to come alone in decades, featuring a perfectly cast group of actors, who are aided by special effects, the likes of which had never been seen before. These effects are common place in 2014, but were unheard of in 1999, and really helped cement the reputation of this classic. The Matrix may not be the perfect movie and in fact, a lot of people won't understand it, but it's a film that people will be watching 200 years from now, when the events of the film supposedly take place. Expand
  50. Dec 28, 2012
    Though it is neither as original or as good as the average sci-fi fan would make it out to be, THe Matrix features a rather intelligent plot, eye-popping action sequences that will leave you satisfied.
  51. Oct 6, 2013
    Enjoyable action with an original and well done plot that keeps you interested from start to finish. A little slow at times and the ending could have been better but overall, It's a pretty enjoyable film.
  52. Sep 3, 2012
    I don't really get why so many people have given this a bad score.The movie has flaws,such as the ridiculous stunts in some of the scenes,but that is really the concept of this movie.Something unreal,something out of the ordinary.The visual effects are stunning for a movie made in the 90s.The fighting scenes is what really keeps you interested in this movie,they are epic but also veryI don't really get why so many people have given this a bad score.The movie has flaws,such as the ridiculous stunts in some of the scenes,but that is really the concept of this movie.Something unreal,something out of the ordinary.The visual effects are stunning for a movie made in the 90s.The fighting scenes is what really keeps you interested in this movie,they are epic but also very entertaining.As said above,there are some weird movements in these scenes,where the actors defy gravity and such,but,as said above,that was the point of the movie.The acting was good,not great,but good.For an action movie where the acting isn't all that matters,the actors made a descent effort at making the scenes as realistic as they could get.
    In conclusion,this movie has everything you need for an action pack Saturday night.
  53. Jun 1, 2012
    Classic thought provoking movie that revolutionized 360 camera spins and slow motion in movies and tv.
  54. Jul 27, 2013
    The matrix is an interesting and engaging action flick. It has a story line that really sucks you in and it has great cinematography and a great score. Through out the film there is a unique atmosphere that is maintained as well. The major problem with this film is the Keanu Reeves throughout the entire film is a very bland and monotone actor. Where all the other actors played theirThe matrix is an interesting and engaging action flick. It has a story line that really sucks you in and it has great cinematography and a great score. Through out the film there is a unique atmosphere that is maintained as well. The major problem with this film is the Keanu Reeves throughout the entire film is a very bland and monotone actor. Where all the other actors played their characters well Keanu seemed almost apathetic throughout the entire film. That aside overall the Matrix is very entertaining and luckily there are many action sequences were Keanu is on screen and doesn't have to talk. Expand
  55. Mar 5, 2014
    Well, this one was certainly unique. That is for sure. I was very skeptical heading into this one as I am not head over heels with Keanu Reeves and am not a fan of Laurence Fishburne at all, yet both turned in good performances. The plot is very complex, but once you wrap your head around it and begin to understand everything, it becomes very enjoyable and easy watching. In fact, itWell, this one was certainly unique. That is for sure. I was very skeptical heading into this one as I am not head over heels with Keanu Reeves and am not a fan of Laurence Fishburne at all, yet both turned in good performances. The plot is very complex, but once you wrap your head around it and begin to understand everything, it becomes very enjoyable and easy watching. In fact, it shocked me how straight forward it wound up being, as I expected it to be far more confounding. I am typically not a huge science fiction fan, but this one really wound up working for me and though the shoved in romantic elements bother me as always. On top of that, how it pretty much turns into an action film (especially towards the end) is another sour note here. However, as I said, it was still very enjoyable and very well done. Expand
  56. Nov 28, 2012
    Although some of the acting is sporadically disagreeable, "The Matrix" still remains an imaginative, stylish, and heaploads of fun.
  57. Jan 30, 2013
    I remember watching this when it came out and it was awesome. Don't get me wrong, there is ALLOT wrong with this movie: the acting, the disjointed & cryptic script, the needlessly over-the-top action scenes. Watching this movie recently I also noticed just how poorly the FX have aged too. BUT, I will admit, even though it has a high reading on the crap-o-meter, it's still entertaining asI remember watching this when it came out and it was awesome. Don't get me wrong, there is ALLOT wrong with this movie: the acting, the disjointed & cryptic script, the needlessly over-the-top action scenes. Watching this movie recently I also noticed just how poorly the FX have aged too. BUT, I will admit, even though it has a high reading on the crap-o-meter, it's still entertaining as hell, as long as you leave your brain at the door and enjoy it at face value. Overall: Probably the greatest bad movie ever. King of the Junkyard . Expand
  58. Sep 30, 2013
    [7.1] It may not be the most thoughtful dystopian film, but it is certainly thrilling. The heavily stylized action is depicted with a bizarre but incredible atmosphere which is what makes the film so captivating. If it weren't for the outdated visual effects (that were of course outstanding for the time), the film might actually be believable and feel real. It isn't quite the science[7.1] It may not be the most thoughtful dystopian film, but it is certainly thrilling. The heavily stylized action is depicted with a bizarre but incredible atmosphere which is what makes the film so captivating. If it weren't for the outdated visual effects (that were of course outstanding for the time), the film might actually be believable and feel real. It isn't quite the science fiction experience of newer films like Avatar and Star Trek, but it was a pioneer of great action films. Expand
  59. Aug 10, 2015
    The Matrix has some outstanding action sequences, amazing fight scenes with just the use of hands and great cinematography, but I have to say, this film is insanely overrated. The whole love story was thrown onto you like a heavy bag of rice and the character introductions are rushed, and very messy. Sill, a very entertaining movie.
  60. Mar 4, 2013
    This is the most interesting and original action/drama I have seen in a long time! The special effects and the slo-mo looked astonishingly real. The acting and the development was great. The Wachowski siblings did a great job!!!!!!!!!!!!
  61. Jul 31, 2014
    As far as special effects go, The Matrix was probably the most cutting edge thing seen in its time! However, as disappointed as I am to say this, the story started strong but dissolves to a jumbled up mess about half way through. This being said, the pay off in the end as far as acting and the story picking itself back up does make it worth watching!
  62. Jul 25, 2013
    This is a good movie with some good actions. There are some flaws but in general this is a successful movie. I don't particularly like this movie that much myself but I would recommend seeing it.
  63. Sep 19, 2013
    The Matrix is a thought-provoking movie that is the pioneer in slo-mo filmmaking, and has some really good CGI effects for it's time (except for that one scene where Keanu finishes all his enemies, we all signed an unspoken contract to forget about the CGI in that scene). But other than that, this movie was the first of its kind, and is just a really amazing film to experience.
  64. Nov 12, 2013
    The Matrix generates success.
    A very well directed and fast paced action thrill ride with more gunfire than one could dream of. Besides being just a fun shoot 'em up The Matrix gives audiences mysterious characters and a solid plot.
  65. Aug 8, 2014
    Well served by a terrific cast and some spot on action sequences, "Matrix" is a groundbreaking piece of cinema with the essence of pure entertainment.
  66. May 2, 2014
    This was an ok movie overall however didn't really explain all that much. I am happy that I am watching it now and not when before they all came out so i can watch all of them over a couple of days. Seeing as this is a movie filmed in 1999 the graphics are great and I cant wait to see the graphics in the other two movies. This is something I would watch again but not on its own.
  67. Apr 19, 2015
    Hacker Neo (Reeves) is sought out to save the world. In order to do this he find out that his consciousness is part of a Matrix that keeps human bodies redendant and occupies their minds with a false reality. Is he "The One" to save humanity from destruction?

The deliciously inventive Wachowskis have delivered the syntax for a new kind of movie: technically mind-blowing, style merged perfectly with content and just so damn cool. However, as much as i love this film just the thought of the sequels prevent this from my VERY RARE perfect 10 score.

Sorry.
  68. Jan 7, 2016

69. PsychoMantis
    Apr 8, 2002
    Sure, its great the first time and the story is thought provoking as are its subtle oulooks on various things, but I really couldn't stand the acting much and there's too much fat in between the action scenes. The action scenes ARE great though, especially the lobby scene, one of the coolest parts in a movie but that doesn't compensate for other things that drain the film, Sure, its great the first time and the story is thought provoking as are its subtle oulooks on various things, but I really couldn't stand the acting much and there's too much fat in between the action scenes. The action scenes ARE great though, especially the lobby scene, one of the coolest parts in a movie but that doesn't compensate for other things that drain the film, Such as the "agents" or whatever they're called, I know theyre mechanical or whatever but for gods sake do they really have to be so monotone "Blaaa blaaa blaaa" ugh. And then, a few scenes I'm sure you'll look back on and just laugh at how lame they are, such as the little gay kung fu fight between Neo and Morpheous cool at 1st, lame the next few times. I'd rent this and then decide whether or not it'll get old for you like it has with me. Expand
  70. RosieK.
    Jun 30, 2002
    This film is very fictitious, but entertaining.
    Dec 10, 2001
    Brilliant! This film works in so many levels.
  72. PatC.
    Jan 5, 2004
    I liked it when it came out, but I didn't realize how good it was until I saw "Reloaded," which proved that the machines really have taken over, and they are neither intelligent nor self-aware.
  73. MystaMajestik
    Aug 25, 2001
    The visuals stopped this rating from being a 4.
  74. MurgatroydK.
    Oct 18, 2002
    "Special effects with no movie"...can you say "easy way out"? Or "get home early", perhaps? The script isn't the best (with the exception of Cypher, these characters talk an incredible amount of bollocks), nor the plot (of this movie at least), but that's because it's just a tiny part of a huge story. That's why they're making two sequels back-to-back. The "Special effects with no movie"...can you say "easy way out"? Or "get home early", perhaps? The script isn't the best (with the exception of Cypher, these characters talk an incredible amount of bollocks), nor the plot (of this movie at least), but that's because it's just a tiny part of a huge story. That's why they're making two sequels back-to-back. The scenario, the backstory, the ongoing plot is genuinely intriguing and pretty damn original as well. Reccomended, unless you're so damn childish you have to pretend it isn't genuinely intelligent. Say, did someone say San Francisco Chronicle? No? Oh. Expand
  75. Carrie-AnneM.
    Jun 20, 2003
    This film is perfect. The characters are lovable, the action scenes aren't too long or too short, the acting is solid (really, when you think about it, Keanu really put expression into his role), and the plot had a great concept and was very gripping. I wished the second film was a bit more like this but it wasn't.
  76. ProjectLG
    Jun 6, 2003
    SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTT heh...well...it is sweet.
  77. KeanuR.
    May 12, 2003
    I know kung fu.
  78. K_DogLambo
    May 12, 2003
    "The matrix was visually stunning but had an unbelievable plot." Ok duesch bags, let's all give the Matrix a bad rating because the plot is unrealistic...STUPID A..HOLES! My god! Honestly, i can not believe how people can use that as an argument againt the movie. What is the main point of cinema? To allow people who are bored with their monotonous lives to escape every once in a "The matrix was visually stunning but had an unbelievable plot." Ok duesch bags, let's all give the Matrix a bad rating because the plot is unrealistic...STUPID A..HOLES! My god! Honestly, i can not believe how people can use that as an argument againt the movie. What is the main point of cinema? To allow people who are bored with their monotonous lives to escape every once in a while by transporting themselves to different worlds for only 8 dollars! The plot was not supposed to be realistic! It's simply there to introduce a new idea, making the movie that much more captivating. And what's the point of that? To allow you to enjoy yourself! If you're not going to the movies to escape from the harsh realities of life, then why the hell do you go? If you want reality then stay home and brood on how awful your life is or something. As for the "cheesy dialogue" argument, i also disagree. Just break the dialogue down in your head. Go do some research or something and you will discover that there are hundreds of hidden references to certain religions, writers, historical events etc. Thus, for the simple minded, yes, the dialogue is very simple and stupid, but for those who actually understand the movie, the Matrix is a masterpiece. Oh yeah, and to those who said that the movie "barely has a plot" i think you should just stay home and masturbate rather than go to the movies. You're a waste of a ticket. Expand
  79. May 6, 2015

I loved The Matrix, and only a few minor contrivances associated with the climax caused the film to miss a four-star rating. The movie is kinetic, atmospheric, visually stunning, and mind-bending. It toys with the boundaries between reality and fantasy in unique and interesting ways. In its approach and content, it reminded me of last year's vastly underrated Dark City. There's also a synergy with two movies due to be released within the next month: David Cronenberg's eXistenZ and Alejandro Amenabar's Open Your Eyes. The Matrix is undeniably science fiction, but, unlike most pictures claiming that association, it never falls into the boring, expected patterns of space battles and laser gun shoot-outs. Instead, it ventures into territory that, while not virgin, is sufficiently interesting to provide an involving, invigorating backdrop.

80. Apr 30, 2016
    oh yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy like the colade man................................................................................................
  81. Mar 13, 2016

82. Jul 22, 2016
    The Matrix is awesome. Cool effects, a great cast, great performances, great writing, and epic action make for an amazing viewing experience. I would consider it a classic like any other.

1. There's not much humor to keep it all life-size, and by the final stretch it's become bloated, mechanical, and tiresome.
  2. The plot switches gears every time it threatens to run out of energy, which keeps the show as lively as it is preposterous.
    The Matrix slams you back in your chair, pops open your eyes and leaves your jaw hanging slack in amazement.