8.8

1. Oct 4, 2011
    Yes, the movie has flaws. But who cares? "The Matrix" is a astonishing movie that is for-your-eyes only. The film has top notch (slo-mo was first introduced by this movie) CGI as well as a well rounded plot. It gives you more than you can ask for from a 1990's action film.
  2. Jul 10, 2011
    An excellent movie with tons of special effects, fight scenes, etc., and the best thing is that they are all done perfectly. A really good film with an interesting story behind it. YOU'LL ENJOY IT.
  3. Feb 10, 2012
    The best thing about the Matrix is the fact that it's such a brilliant, brilliant idea. The world you live in is virtual. In reality, you are an energy source in a jelly sac harvested by a race of machines... It makes me think of so many things... and I thought of whether I would take the blue pill or the red pill... you know, I'd probably take the blue pill.
  4. Apr 2, 2012
    First off, I would give matrix a 9.5 out of 10. Visuals are great, and so are the action sequences. They're really epic, plus they're great to watch. Score is great. The story is also very good to. Acting is really good. Everyone does a great job throughout the movie. Overall, The Matrix is a great sic-fi action blockbuster that a great movie to watch. You really should watch this movie.
  5. Jan 12, 2012
    After I have seen The Matrix, I instantly placed it at the #1 spot of the list of my favorite movies. Since then, 13 years has passed, I have seen over a hundred new movies. The Matrix still occupies that top spot. Inception was good, but no where near The Matrix good. If you haven't seen The Matrix series, I pity you, for you have missed the BEST movie ever made, go see it NOW!
  6. Jun 6, 2011
    Groundbreaking synthesis of East meats West, in a brilliant sci-fi mind-scape.

...trippy, cool, and fun ride all around.

Forget the sequels, they suck
  7. Jan 7, 2012
    Amazing, definitely a timeless masterpiece. Some of the utmost original storylines of science-fiction genre, introducing a brilliant and new reality that will break with all the standards and blow away your mind. The perfect combination between action scenes that will keep you on the edge of your seat and reflective dialogues concerning the movie's very deep theme. Additionally, theAmazing, definitely a timeless masterpiece. Some of the utmost original storylines of science-fiction genre, introducing a brilliant and new reality that will break with all the standards and blow away your mind. The perfect combination between action scenes that will keep you on the edge of your seat and reflective dialogues concerning the movie's very deep theme. Additionally, the technical production is astonishing with very good graphic special effects that form an unbelievably awesome visual appeal. Truly a must-watch production that will not leave you unchanged. Expand
  8. May 25, 2012
    This film is much more than most of people can understand.It just try to open our eyes, we are in the matrix and this world is not what we think it is, and this movie is made by this people for this people, just as James Cameron Avatar that shows to the world the true reality, from whence we came and where we can go.
  9. Sep 2, 2010
    a fun sci fi action flick with fantasic action and effects . the story is pretty entertaining and keeps you interested . the film has a great plot twist that i dont think any one seeing this for the first time will ever see coming . the story feels fresh and original . the acting is abit dry but fits this film and especialy Reeves who i dont think you could get any dryer then his acting .
  10. Feb 9, 2013
    Well, after all these years of gaming communities being inspired by it as well as parodies from other films. I finally watched it. The film is confusing in some ways but it really makes you think. The film is very entertaining and has very impressive CGI for 1999. It's definitely worth watching.
  11. Jan 20, 2011
    THE MATRIX is the best action movie ever made in my list. When Matrix released on its time, thiz movie created many breakthrough on world cinema. Directed by Larry and Andy Wachowski, who is just recently popular in thiz movie. They just known previously as small budget film Director, BOUND (1996). Later, the movie has two more sequels MATRIX RELOADED and MATRIX REVOLUTION in 2003. You canTHE MATRIX is the best action movie ever made in my list. When Matrix released on its time, thiz movie created many breakthrough on world cinema. Directed by Larry and Andy Wachowski, who is just recently popular in thiz movie. They just known previously as small budget film Director, BOUND (1996). Later, the movie has two more sequels MATRIX RELOADED and MATRIX REVOLUTION in 2003. You can almost classify the Stars of thiz movie as B-Class Casts, except Keanu Reeves, but still the outcome is beyond the expectations. Each of the characters like: Neo (Keanu Reeves), Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne), Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss) , even the villain Agent Smith (Hugo Weaving) already become a legendary icon in the industries. One of the fervencies of thiz movie is on the action scene. The fight scene is something new and different, which follows later by other movies. Behind that extraordinary fight scene is well-known Martial Arts Choreographer, Yuen Woo Ping. Woo Ping is the man behind CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON(2000), KILL BILL (2003),THE FORBIDDEN KINGDOM (2008), even Jackie Chan classic action SNAKE IN THE EAGLE SHADOW (1978). His experiences in a lot of Asian movies made him effective. The movie definitely exceed beyond our imagination. In fact, many people did not understand entirely the story of THE MATRIX, there are still many blank spot to question about. The Content of the movie fills with great philosophies inside. It seemed to me Wachowski Brothers discovered successfully how to make a brilliant concept from some of religions. The essence is not that simple as appear to be, Actually we will always have something new, every time we watch it.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  12. Jan 15, 2011
    No matter how mush times you watch this, its always entertaining. The story is very deep, the cast is great and the special effects are still good even if this game out more 11 years ago.
  13. May 10, 2011
    I feel bad for those morons who think The Matrix sucks. this is a brilliant movie full of epic nonstop action. If you like movie with awsome acting,music, and badass slo-motion fight scenes, etc. then get this, if you aren't... well buy Legend of the Guardians.
  14. Sep 10, 2011
    Despite TRON being my all time, video game related movies of all time, The Matrix is my all time bad ass, cool, computer/hacker movies. I find it hard NOT to love. It has action, martial arts so the 'easily entertained by action' viewers can have something, the 'computer goers' like myself have something to get into and when it's all thrown together it makes the perfect combination ofDespite TRON being my all time, video game related movies of all time, The Matrix is my all time bad ass, cool, computer/hacker movies. I find it hard NOT to love. It has action, martial arts so the 'easily entertained by action' viewers can have something, the 'computer goers' like myself have something to get into and when it's all thrown together it makes the perfect combination of action and story. Expand
  15. Nov 29, 2011
    The best sci-fi movie of its time.
    Excellent original soundtrack
    I still keep the thinking as a reference for some of my work and my everyday life. Loved it.
  16. Aug 24, 2011
    In my top ten movies of all time. What a shame the sequels sputtered out or this Trilogy could have been the most epic in the history of film making. Could have been our generation's STAR WARS. Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda.
  17. Oct 19, 2011
    Sure some things aren't perfect, and it can be kind of...meh, but it is still a fantastic movie. The whole concept is very interesting, making you think for a brief moment "what if that's real?" And on top of that, it is funny, dramatic, and has great action scenes. I think it's a great ride of 90's movies.
  18. Nov 20, 2011
    The thought that went into this movies plot is astounding. I can understand how some could be confused and dislike it but ive found the more i watch this film the more i love it. Some minor flaws here and there but overall an amazing film.
  19. Feb 11, 2012
    The late '90s were a period in film that saw a sudden resurgence in science fiction. The quickly approaching Y2K symbolised a time of transition, wonder, and technological advancement. Though these positives are reflected in The Matrix, it is mostly the negative aspects of the new millennium's dawn that it feeds upon. Paranoia, uncertainty, and fear are the themes that the film addressesThe late '90s were a period in film that saw a sudden resurgence in science fiction. The quickly approaching Y2K symbolised a time of transition, wonder, and technological advancement. Though these positives are reflected in The Matrix, it is mostly the negative aspects of the new millennium's dawn that it feeds upon. Paranoia, uncertainty, and fear are the themes that the film addresses like no other in Hollywood at the time, while simultaneously being action-packed and visually stunning. What The Matrix is perhaps most well known for, however, is its complex, engaging plot that almost any viewer can relate to. All of this is delivered with superb direction, making full use of subtle nuances and symbolism to embellish the story. The only misstep lies in the casting of Reeves, who is so painfully uncharismatic and distant in his performance that it's puzzling how he could ever be the chosen one of anything. Expand
  20. Jan 15, 2012
    This movie was a well done action movie. It has some problems with the story line, but the action scenes are undeniably astonishing. This movie introduced the Slow Motion concept to other movie makers, and it has been a hit ever since. I would definitely consider this movie to be a modern classic action film. The movie certainly goes above and beyond the standard 90's movie.
  21. Jan 6, 2012
    Beautifully filmed and written. Best film of all time. The charcters are so real and engaging, the settings are perfect and I couldn't find a single fault if I tried.
  22. Dec 6, 2012
    The Matrix
    Average User Score: 8.7
    10 The Matrix Image The Matrix takes mystery school concepts and philosophies of Gnosticism, Eastern religions, Western Religions and even ideas from the Natural Law movement and blends them together to create a cryptic, symbolic action film. Everything in this movie has occult meaning, but it's up to us, the viewers to figure out what that meaning
    The Matrix
    Average User Score: 8.7
    The Matrix Image
    The Matrix takes mystery school concepts and philosophies of Gnosticism, Eastern religions, Western Religions and even ideas from the Natural Law movement and blends them together to create a cryptic, symbolic action film. Everything in this movie has occult meaning, but it's up to us, the viewers to figure out what that meaning is. This movie is like a puzzle. But this is all done in a very cool, entertaining way with awesome special effects (cutting edge at the time it was released) and great memorable action scenes, some which have greatly influenced the special effects of Hollywood movies produced afterwards. My only complaint about this movie is the way the love of Neo by Trinity is revealed, I mean you have no idea and I remember in the theater myself and everyone around me groaning since the whole love story in action films thing has been done to death and this seemed so cliche. The love between Trinity and Neo is very important to the trinity in the long run but imo it could have been introduced in a much better manner, maybe some flirting scenes leading up to it because you just don't see it coming at all which makes it really unrealistic. But other than that a great, epic movie.

The Matrix (and the entire Matrix Trilogy) is like an onion, it has many layers of meaning, and every-time I watch it I notice something new. Definitely a masterpiece with profound hidden meaning and my favourite movie off all time to this day. 10/10
  23. Feb 7, 2013
    If You Ever had to choose one movie for your unborn child to see. It would definitely be the matrix. FREE YOUR MIND. The perfect illustration of control and power and how it influences everything around you
  24. Jun 8, 2013
    This is the best sci-fi movie ever made, together with Star Wars IV and V, of course. I can't tell you much about it. You REALLY need to watch it so you can make conclusions.
  25. Aug 19, 2013
    Nowadays, you could ask someone what film defined the sic-fi genre and made it what it is today, there's a good chance the film on the lips of many would be The Matrix, the 1999 bombshell which inspired, split and certainly opened up debate for the masses, some called it ridiculous, others were boggled by its complex plot but many respected the achievement the film had, and for goodNowadays, you could ask someone what film defined the sic-fi genre and made it what it is today, there's a good chance the film on the lips of many would be The Matrix, the 1999 bombshell which inspired, split and certainly opened up debate for the masses, some called it ridiculous, others were boggled by its complex plot but many respected the achievement the film had, and for good reason. Without stripping the plot down piece by piece and explaining what is and what isn't, The Matrix works with the idea that the world as we know it is actually a dream, that we are actually "plugged in" to the real world which is run by machines, and that Neo (Keanu Reeves) is the man to stop the war and give freedom back to the humans, this is what Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) believes, one of the captains of a resistance movement in the real world.
    Neo begins to learn the way of the Matrix, which can be summed up as the world we live in now, that it is actually a computer program created by the machines to control the populous.
    The Matrix itself, therefore, can be altered because it is a program, these people can walk on walls, slow down time and have quite an array of fighting skills, but its really when these parts come into play that the film starts to loose is unique touch and starts to conform, we have shootouts, running, typical villains and a sense of losing steam, the premise remains, but the action becomes bloated and apparently necessary. There is a vast array of characters, already mentioning Neo and Morpheus, we have Trinity, an experienced member of the crew and a love interest of Neo, we have also have Mr Smith, an agent of the Matrix intent on the destruction of the remaining human world, Zion. There are various other characters but they aren't widely used, the primary focus is the path that Neo must take, and the decisions he must make.
    We have the introduction of "bullet time" which of course is common ground now in Hollywood but its humble beginnings in the film will leave your jaw on the floor, the Watchowski brothers have utilised an intelligent, sometimes confusing plot but still manage to keep us up to date, while also showing some impressive effects and scenarios that will really have you questioning everything around you, if of course you keep an open mind.
    Certainly an interesting and dramatic tale, one which continues to stand the test of time with its remarkably risky script and its choice of lead roles, but while it can take a turn into familiar territory, there is still fresh and enjoyable fun to be had with The Matrix, it opens plenty of questions and begs the viewer to attempt a straight answer, and thats what getting engaged in a film is all about.
  26. May 20, 2014
    I remember when I first saw this movie at school, years ago. I wasn't fully focused and even missed a piece of the movie, but I recall thinking that this film is complex and needs more than a couple watches to be understood. Now, years later, after I have seen the movie time and time again, it is almost as simple as it gets.

"Matrix" was the first of its kin. It has been made into

"Matrix" was the first of its kin. It has been made into parody more times than I can count, and a lot of movies have been influenced by it. This is a master piece, right here.

The world, the ideology, and the characters all stand their own ground, firm and unyielding. The idea behind the story is complex, coming apart piece by piece. Words of wisdom are offered, but you need to grasp the right things to really comprehend them. There is no big "surprise" lurking around; you have the answer all the time. You just need to understand it first.

The fighting scenes are one of a kind. The slow-motion camera work is artistic, adding to the coolness that seems to hang above this movie. Sunglasses, black leather, the soundtrack on the background, and the monotone voices - it all creates an atmosphere you either love or hate.

I love it. This is totally one of my favorite movies, and when viewed as part of the Matrix series, this is the most "whole" part.
  27. May 3, 2014
    I strongly recommend this film; it's a golden experience that will change your life for the better.

The effects still look great even fifteen years later. The story offers much food for thought. Morpheus, Neo, and Trinity transcend mere character into archetype. But who HASN'T felt as if this life is something less than it seems? This stands alongside 'Serenity' among science-fiction cinema's greatest champions of human liberation and truth. If you care about your mind, see this. You will not be disappointed.
  28. Oct 21, 2013
    Saw this movie for the first time yesterday. Although a lot of it was cheesy and the costumes were ridiculous, it was very engrossing and I was never bored.
  29. Dec 11, 2013
    A mind-bending movie. The story of Neo, a computer hacker who learns that the entire world is simply a dream created by machines to keep human's minds occupied so they can be harvested for energy, is incredible, simply because one day it may actually happen. The fights are incredibly choreographed, and the special effects were revolutionary for their time, and still hold up today. BuckleA mind-bending movie. The story of Neo, a computer hacker who learns that the entire world is simply a dream created by machines to keep human's minds occupied so they can be harvested for energy, is incredible, simply because one day it may actually happen. The fights are incredibly choreographed, and the special effects were revolutionary for their time, and still hold up today. Buckle up and prepare for The Matrix! (and its crappy sequels). Expand
  30. Dec 12, 2013
    Easily the best movies ever made. Amazing action and story, great acting, too. I don't want to spoil anything because this is too good, just watch it. You will crap your pants, at the sheer awesomeness.

And don't forget all of the unforgettable lines like "Not like this, not like this"

Watch this movie or I will find you, I will hurt you, then I will kill you.
  31. Dec 26, 2013
    "You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it. "
    Morpheus
  32. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    The Matrix was genius. Acting was great, the story: perfection, direction was perfect, and then the fights were absolutely badass, and anyone who's seen it would agree.
  33. Apr 26, 2014
    The beginning of the movie for me was very confusing but by the end all your questions will be answered. The slo-mo and CGI make the tricks a whole lot better.
  34. Jun 8, 2014
    Really recommend this movie (not the sequels however). Good plot and storyline, nice special effects (not too overdone) and if you can overlook the plot holes and suspend disbelief, your in for a great ride!
  35. Jul 14, 2014
    If I was dying and had to recommend to my child only 1 film to watch until they understand it fully, it would be the Matrix (trilogy).

That's how good it is.
  36. Sep 7, 2014
    I am just fascinated by the idea of the movie:"Human reproduction has stopped, humans are used as an infinite source of energy." So basically they are grown as mere vegetables.
    Everyone agrees that the fight sequences are more than awesome. Special effects are spectacular considering the year the film was made.
    The first part of The Matrix is more than enough to satisfy your expectations
    The first part of The Matrix is more than enough to satisfy your expectations from a sci-fi movie.
  37. Sep 3, 2012
    I don't really get why so many people have given this a bad score.The movie has flaws,such as the ridiculous stunts in some of the scenes,but that is really the concept of this movie.Something unreal,something out of the ordinary.The visual effects are stunning for a movie made in the 90s.The fighting scenes is what really keeps you interested in this movie,they are epic but also veryI don't really get why so many people have given this a bad score.The movie has flaws,such as the ridiculous stunts in some of the scenes,but that is really the concept of this movie.Something unreal,something out of the ordinary.The visual effects are stunning for a movie made in the 90s.The fighting scenes is what really keeps you interested in this movie,they are epic but also very entertaining.As said above,there are some weird movements in these scenes,where the actors defy gravity and such,but,as said above,that was the point of the movie.The acting was good,not great,but good.For an action movie where the acting isn't all that matters,the actors made a descent effort at making the scenes as realistic as they could get.
    In conclusion,this movie has everything you need for an action pack Saturday night.
  38. Mar 8, 2014
    An intelligent and thrilling sci-fi spectacle. It has excellent visuals, intense Hong Kong action, and a potentially confusing and complex plot. The more you think about it, the more awesome it gets.
  39. Jun 1, 2012
    Classic thought provoking movie that revolutionized 360 camera spins and slow motion in movies and tv.
  40. Jan 12, 2013
    After all those years this still remains probably the most perfect scifi action movie to date (together with T2). Maybe it only has 415 VFX shots (a romantic comedy these days has more vfx shots) but they are all used where they count the most and they still hold up very well for an almost 14 year old film. The Blu-ray transfer is absolutely exellent and as good as a 35mm on BD can everAfter all those years this still remains probably the most perfect scifi action movie to date (together with T2). Maybe it only has 415 VFX shots (a romantic comedy these days has more vfx shots) but they are all used where they count the most and they still hold up very well for an almost 14 year old film. The Blu-ray transfer is absolutely exellent and as good as a 35mm on BD can ever look. There's not a scratch to be seen, not the slightest woble and just the right amount of grain (no NR). Some have complained about the colors but for me they look as they should be (the Matrix world a bit more greenish than the real world) and the detail in the black levels (of which there are allot) is perfect (on the first DVD release they were a bit mushy). The Dolby 5.1 sound of the DVD was already superb but here you get it in an uncompressed TrueHD track. Expand
  41. Jul 5, 2012
    The Matrix was a damn good movie. This is review for the first movie because the other ones are in a different category (Matrix Reload, Matrix Revolutions). The movie starts off with the audience saying, "what the hell is going on." You don't have to wait until the end of movie to understand it. About forty minutes into the movie you should understand it. There is some guy Neo that isThe Matrix was a damn good movie. This is review for the first movie because the other ones are in a different category (Matrix Reload, Matrix Revolutions). The movie starts off with the audience saying, "what the hell is going on." You don't have to wait until the end of movie to understand it. About forty minutes into the movie you should understand it. There is some guy Neo that is living in a dreamworld which is basically a huge computer program (that would be a butt load of html). He eventually gets out of the dreamworld and is free. If you want to know the rest you should see it. Neo is played by Keanu Reeves (Speed), Agent Smith is the elf dude from Lord of the Rings, and Morphis can be found in Pee Wee's Playhouse (not kidding). I believe that this movie helped change plot lines for movies. This movie makes the audience confused for awhile yet the movie still kicks ass. It seemed like many movies were sticking with simple plot lines with bombs and terrorists, etc. Now we have movies that are confusing like Shutter Island and Inception. The special effects in the movie are really good. You cant tell what was computer created which is something that is not always present in today's movies. If you have not seen this movie then you should buy and see it, because it is a movie that can be seen over and over again (the second and third Matrix movies are disappointing; so I would advice you not to necessarily buy those. Expand
  42. Apr 22, 2013
    Brilliant concept, perhaps a little more thought could have been given to the plot details, but most of this movie is for the eyes! The acting is amazing for a 1990's action film and undoubtedly one of my all-time favourites. The top-of-the-time CGI is breathtaking, spawning many cultural references to the 'Matrix Move' made popular by this film. Overall, this movie is extremelyBrilliant concept, perhaps a little more thought could have been given to the plot details, but most of this movie is for the eyes! The acting is amazing for a 1990's action film and undoubtedly one of my all-time favourites. The top-of-the-time CGI is breathtaking, spawning many cultural references to the 'Matrix Move' made popular by this film. Overall, this movie is extremely entertaining and will always be a favourite amongst many. Expand
  43. Sep 6, 2013
    Modern classics of Sci-Fi, this movie carries a whole philosophy in itself. Interesting setting and concept, martial arts, great fight scenes, bullet dodging and you name what else make this movie so popular, and it's popularity is fair.
  44. Sep 12, 2012
    This was an awesome film that should be watched by everyone.
  45. Sep 19, 2012
    Great movie. A beautiful mix of action and thought-provoking ideas. Deserves a 10 for sure. This movie is a great movie to rent if you want a great thought provoking movie like Inception, with non-stop action. The special effects are a little cheesy though.
  46. Oct 11, 2013
    This is one of the greatest movies of all time. Amazing special effects, surprisingly good acting, an interesting, different but yet soothing and epic soundtrack, and non stop action makes this movie amazing.
  47. Aug 21, 2014
    A kinetic, spellbinding, revolutionary movie. It's thought provoking, exciting, and one of the most memorable movies ever made. It may have a few flaws, such as being a little too show offy with its visual effects, and some lines are extremely pretentious, but there are few films as atmospheric or as mind-bendingly ambitious as the Matrix. Did I mention that the production design isA kinetic, spellbinding, revolutionary movie. It's thought provoking, exciting, and one of the most memorable movies ever made. It may have a few flaws, such as being a little too show offy with its visual effects, and some lines are extremely pretentious, but there are few films as atmospheric or as mind-bendingly ambitious as the Matrix. Did I mention that the production design is incredible and that the score also fits perfectly? Even Keanu Reeves' performance isn't terrible, which is almost impossible. If you like sci-fi at all the chances are you'll love this. But I'm willing to bet you already do. Expand
  48. Feb 14, 2013
    Quite possibly one of the greatest action movies of all time. The world of the matrix is so intriguing you can't help but be hooked on what the movie throws at you. Great characters, a gripping story and some great special effects even over 10 years later.
  49. Feb 9, 2013
    The Matrix helps you thinking about the question "What is reality?". This is an epistemological question: is the world we see around us the real world itself or merely an internal perceptual copy of that world generated by neural processes in our brain.
  50. Jun 30, 2014
    People have been telling me to watch this movie for the past 3 years. I only just recently sat down to watch it. And good God am I happy that I did. The whole premise of the movie is awesome. Evil robots against rebel humans is all you have to say and I'll be sold. To top it all off, the action is still awesome 15 years later. As far as action movies go, this is one of the best I've seenPeople have been telling me to watch this movie for the past 3 years. I only just recently sat down to watch it. And good God am I happy that I did. The whole premise of the movie is awesome. Evil robots against rebel humans is all you have to say and I'll be sold. To top it all off, the action is still awesome 15 years later. As far as action movies go, this is one of the best I've seen in a while.
    There are a few small flaws. At times the acting can be average, and there is one very glaring plot hole (I won't go into details due to spoilers). However these issues are not significant enough to hurt the experience.
  51. Jul 5, 2013
    Matrix (1999)

Matrix der Film aus dem letzten Jahrtausend. Ja, so alt ist dieser Film schon. Wenn man Matrix in ein Film-Genre einordnen wollte, so wären wohl Action und Science Fiction die Hauptkategorien. Das allein wird dem Werk jedoch nicht gerecht. Neben minutenlangen Baller-Szenen entpuppt sich eine Wahnsinnsstory, die ins Philosophische geht. Aber erst einmal zu den Anfängen.
    Matrix (1999)

Aber erst einmal zu den Anfängen.
    Der Protagonist, Thomas Anderson (gespielt von Keanu Reeves), ist ein Computer-Hacker und führt ein isoliertes Leben. Doch dann wird ihm eine geheimnisvolle Botschaft von Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) auf seinem Computer gesendet. Noch unklar, was ihn erwarten wird, beschließt er, dieser Nachricht auf den Grund zu gehen. In einem Nachtclub trifft er dann eine junge Frau namens Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss), die ihn zu einem Treffen mit Morpheus überreden will. Durch eine Wendung der Ereignisse wird er zur Zielscheibe eines Agententeams. Die einzigen Personen, die ihm helfen wollen, sind eben jene zwielichtigen Personen, die ihm eine "Wahrheit" verkaufen wollen, die er sich nicht im Entferntesten vorstellen kann. Ist die Welt real oder nur eine computergesteuerte, von Maschinen beherrschte, virtuelle Illusion?

Regie und Drehbuch führen die Wachowski-Geschwister, die ebenfalls das Drehbuch für "V wie Vendetta" schrieben. Ihnen und der sehr guten Leistung der Schauspieler ist es zu verdanken, dass zu keinem Zeitpunkt im Film eine Handlung realitätsfremd wirkt.
    Neben der erstklassigen Schauspielarbeit tragen die herausragenden Spezialeffekte enorm zur Atmosphäre bei.
    Für ein Science Fiction Werk genial, für seine Zeit Weltklasse. Bullet-Time, eines der wesentlichsten und markantesten Effekte, feierte nach Matrix eine Revolution im Action-Genre. Jedoch ist ihre Anwendung in Matrix bisher noch unübertroffen.
    Farbfilter, wie sie in "300" oder "Kill Bill" bekannt sind, kommen auch bei Matrix zu Einsatz.

Wie bereits erwähnt sind aber gerade die philosophisch/religiösen Elemente und Hinweise, welche im ganzen Film durch Namensgebung Handlungen und Dialogen auftauchen, besonders hervorzuheben. Versteckt unter der ganzen Action behandelt der Film die Mythen verschiedener Religionen und Weltanschauungen und wirft durchaus tiefgründige Fragen auf.

Wer diesen Film noch nicht gesehen hat, wer seine Brillanz nicht verstanden hat, der sollte einen Besuch bei der Videothek einplanen. An diesem Meisterwerk führt kein Weg vorbei Matrix ist die rote Kapsel Teil 2 und 3 wohl eher die blaue…
  52. Sep 6, 2013
    A really great and deep movie. Very interesting plot that will have you thinking alot once it finishes. WIll simply blow your mind away, a must watch!
  53. Aug 18, 2013
    This movie is one the top 10 of all time. Most of the movies out there never satisfied me very well but I think The Matrix is a masterpiece. I maybe do not agree with all the concepts in the movie but the story just makes you think about every aspect of your life again. Each time you watch this movie you will understand more of it. The most remarkable thing about The Matrix is, theThis movie is one the top 10 of all time. Most of the movies out there never satisfied me very well but I think The Matrix is a masterpiece. I maybe do not agree with all the concepts in the movie but the story just makes you think about every aspect of your life again. Each time you watch this movie you will understand more of it. The most remarkable thing about The Matrix is, the directors have thought about every single scene in the movie and if you pay more attention you will find signs and symbols all over the places! Watch this movie more than once! Expand
  54. Nov 29, 2013
    One of my favorite sci-fi films of all times. It has incredible acting with really good graphics.The story it had was put together flawlessly. You can't make a science fiction film better than this.
  55. Nov 11, 2014
    One of my favorite movies of all time that changed the face of special effects in movies forever. This film is a must see for action fans and sci-fi fans. This movie is a true masterpiece.
  56. Dec 14, 2014
    My personal 2nd favorite movie ever. Keanu Reeves delivers his usual grade of acting, but he more than makes up for it in badassery. In addition, the premise, while questionable from a logical standpoint, is very haunting and thought-provoking. Some of the best action sequences and effects in history along with an incredibly satisfying ending to sweeten the deal even further. AMy personal 2nd favorite movie ever. Keanu Reeves delivers his usual grade of acting, but he more than makes up for it in badassery. In addition, the premise, while questionable from a logical standpoint, is very haunting and thought-provoking. Some of the best action sequences and effects in history along with an incredibly satisfying ending to sweeten the deal even further. A game-changing Sci-Fi masterpiece that everyone needs to see. Expand
  57. Dec 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 'You think that's air you're breathing right now?' The Matrix whips up a feast of special effects, dialogue as well as sub textual meaning. Stellar performances by Reeves, Fishburne and of course Hugo Weaving as the indomitable Agent Smith, ensure that this movie sits rightly on the pantheon of classic sci-fi movies-wicked. The Wachowski brothers outdid themselves; using the Sydney CBD and the hovercraft to provide a dystopian setting, suitable for the new millennium. 5 Stars (from a biased Sydneysider). Expand

1. There's not much humor to keep it all life-size, and by the final stretch it's become bloated, mechanical, and tiresome.
  2. The plot switches gears every time it threatens to run out of energy, which keeps the show as lively as it is preposterous.
    The Matrix slams you back in your chair, pops open your eyes and leaves your jaw hanging slack in amazement.