8.1

1. ManuelA.
    Dec 27, 2007
    Full of cliche and borrows too much from previous movies, not up to the hype
  2. JasonP.
    Jan 21, 2008
    What?! I can't believe I had to sit through 90 minutes of the most boring and pointless sequence of events just to get an "OK" ending. ***SPOILER*** A movie where a mother kills her self over an orphan child and doesn't care one bit about leaving her husband alone and miserable... is just dumb! Oh, and explain to me why Tomas is an evil ghost who smashes the mothers fingers with What?! I can't believe I had to sit through 90 minutes of the most boring and pointless sequence of events just to get an "OK" ending. ***SPOILER*** A movie where a mother kills her self over an orphan child and doesn't care one bit about leaving her husband alone and miserable... is just dumb! Oh, and explain to me why Tomas is an evil ghost who smashes the mothers fingers with the door, just to come out all loving and good at the end. What about that old woman who killed the orphans... she shows up out of nowhere in the tool shed (or what ever that room in the front yard is called) to do what? To check if the dead orphans she buried are still dead? And that woman showing up out of nowhere again in front of their car months later just to get hit by a bus... Stupid! I don't understand how anyone can like this film... ***End Spoiler*** I'm soo sick of foreign films getting good reviews from critics, just because it's in another language. If this was made in the U.S. in English, everyone would be trashing this film. Expand
  3. Jim
    Mar 18, 2008
    Good photography and directing. Boring story, not believable, some good acting from the mother, not frightening at all. It tries to be intelligent but fails miserably.
  4. Steve
    Apr 29, 2008
    I can't decide which one disappointed me more: The movie or Metacritic. I think US movie critics' opinion won't count for me anymore.

1. Reviewed by: Mark Olsen
    There’s not really a bogeyman in The Orphanage and not much blood; just insane intensity and a building sense of bad vibes.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    A great horror movie is like a good shrink--and a lot cheaper, too. It purges us through petrification. That horror movie, thankfully, has arrived. It's called The Orphanage," and it is seriously scary.
  3. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    A fastidiously grim ghost story that rattles the bones of the haunted-house genre and finds plenty of fresh (but not too bloody) meat.