8.6

1. Oct 1, 2012
    A fantastic athletic/historic documentary - add a point or 2 to my score if you were at least a teenager in the late 80's and like either basketball or the Grateful Dead. It's pretty amazing what these players went through as late as 1991 - going from breadlines to the penthouse, but fearing a permanent trip to Siberia if the wrong party leader looked at you the wrong way.
  2. Oct 1, 2012
    Outanding film - and how refreshing to see a massive group of independence movement protesters who can do it with dignity and class rather than as a collection of violent mobs. Great to see Sabonis and the rest of the big 4 Lithuanians from the 88 Soviet team get a chance to do it as an independent country in 92.
  3. Oct 6, 2012
    The audience I just saw this film with broke out into applause at the end of it. Through the story of these four basketball players, you're not just learning about the modern history of Lithuania, you find yourself developing a deep sense of pride in a country you've probably never traveled to. I'm not a history buff, I'm not a basketball fan, but I absolutely loved this film.

1. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Oct 19, 2012
    If you root for documentaries with heart, The Other Dream Team is a slam dunk.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Hartlaub
    Oct 11, 2012
    It would have been enough for The Other Dream Team to simply pay tribute to the tie-dyed underdogs, but the filmmakers strived for more. Adding detailed historical context, the quirky feel-good story becomes a tragedy and a lesson. And that makes the victories resonate even more.
  3. Reviewed by: Wesley Morris
    Oct 11, 2012
    Clearly, there's a story here. The documentary The Other Dream Team tells it in a smart, lively, if somewhat hectic fashion.