Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: March 25, 1983
8.6
Universal acclaim based on 126 Ratings
WATCH NOW
wildermovreviewJan 28, 2012
A very hard hitting and moving story about rival gangs and the effect it has on the lives of the people in and around the gangs. The story follows two of the younger greasers after one of them accidently kills a rival gang member in selfA very hard hitting and moving story about rival gangs and the effect it has on the lives of the people in and around the gangs. The story follows two of the younger greasers after one of them accidently kills a rival gang member in self defence. They leave town and believe they will have to remain on the run forever.

With a cast to die for, The Outsiders is an incredible, hard hitting film. Portrayed in a believable and moving way, the cast includes Matt Dillon, Emilio Estevez, Diane Lane, Patrick Swayze, Tom Cruise, C. Thomas Howell and Rob Lowe. But Ralph Macchio stands out in this film as Johnny Cade.

The direction of Francis Ford Coppola along with stunning performances from the cast bring this film to life. You feel for the characters as they take you on an emotional rollercoaster. You laugh along with them and share in the anguish and feel the pain they all go through just to survive. It is hard not to watch the film now without comparing other films the cast have made since this film. But for many of the cast, it is up there with the finest performances of their career.

The film is an adaption of a classic novel by S.E. Hinton who was just 16 when the novel was first published in 1967. It was also her first novel. The book has become part of school English curriculum.
curtwMay 2, 2008
This movie is one of a kind. It showed us about the gang life.It showed us even though other people might think your dirt. You will always have your friends.
JessicaMar 22, 2009
This was an extremely powerful movie full of gorgeous imagery and an interesting plot. I wish it had been longer to have built up the relationships between the Greaser's and the Soc's further, but an incredibly memorable and moving This was an extremely powerful movie full of gorgeous imagery and an interesting plot. I wish it had been longer to have built up the relationships between the Greaser's and the Soc's further, but an incredibly memorable and moving picture. Expand
RhiannonKFeb 18, 2008
This is an enspiring movie. We had to walk it in Health class, I really got into it. Then when we had to write a report on the movie. It was so much fun letting my feelings flow. Thank you for creating a magnificant movie!
alanoJun 17, 2010
I've read the novel the movie was based on and both the movie and novel were great. Some critics just don't get these kind of movies. This adaption is very decent!
timCNov 27, 2007
Remains on of my favorite films, tense, tender, a preview of many significant actor's careers, awesome cinemtography.
CreviewerFeb 23, 2011
The first problem, the actors not that they were bad but the fact that the movie relied on them too much. It had good action and seemed believable. Until they started talking. The problem is that it followed the book almost line by line andThe first problem, the actors not that they were bad but the fact that the movie relied on them too much. It had good action and seemed believable. Until they started talking. The problem is that it followed the book almost line by line and that made it very cheesy and the buff cool kids would suddenly spout a line from a poem and that ruined it. Expand
lukechristianscJun 10, 2015
Director Francis Ford Coppola continues to adapt S.E Hinton's novels onto the big screen, but this time he adapts her first debut novel onto the big screen. Before watching the film I have read the novel,so far Kathleen Rowell's screenplayDirector Francis Ford Coppola continues to adapt S.E Hinton's novels onto the big screen, but this time he adapts her first debut novel onto the big screen. Before watching the film I have read the novel,so far Kathleen Rowell's screenplay misses nearly perfect realized film about adolescents. Coppola's cast of young stars are perfect and talented we can see them playing the characters. C. Thomas Howell was missed cast his performance as the main character "Ponyboy" was not terrible but I think he was stale. The screenplay does not give depth to the protagonist; the film's location is spot on! While the locations and sets were fitting to the story. Coppola's direction is good, he captures dramatic tension and we have sympathy for the characters. The film creates the scenes from it's source material, which is good and fans of the book will love. The performances were great, the script needed some work. Grade B+ Expand
geenucocoApr 23, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As I the movie came to an end, an amazing feeling swept over me. Growing up as a youth in Long Beach, California in the twenty-first century, it always seemed that the problems the youth face today were a lot worse than in the past. This movie does an astonishing job illustrating the crazy and dangerous life that teenage boys lived through in the American heartland over four decades ago! As I watched, the similarities between my adolescence and theirs gave me a very grateful feeling to have made it out of that stage of my life. For me, this movie was a very spiritual reminder of the possible dangers, temptations, loyalties, friendships, and overall craziness of teenage life.

Plot
The movie begins in the 1960`s with three Topeka youth meeting up to sneak into a drive-in movie theater. After the movie have a fierce confrontation with the boys from the other side of town. The plot line is full of drama, confrontation with rivals, murder, running away, death, police and violence. It makes for one of the best movies you have ever seen.

Acting
The acting in this production is definitely up to standards. You can feel the emotions in the actors voices and see them in their eyes. It is so real it almost makes you not want to believe that they are actors. This was a very heartfelt production and I wish they would have made a sequel; before the teenage actors reached their fifties.

Music
The music in this film was very deep and comforting. They featured the song "Stay Gold" by Stevie Wonder. It keeps a deep and spiritual vibe in tune with the craziness of the youth.

Characters
The characters seem very interesting for mid-western youth, with some featuring names such as Sodapop and Ponyboy, and others with less interesting names such as Johnny. The characters are very believable and awe-inspiring.

Ending
The story has a sad, interesting, spiritual, and above all, unbelievable ending. A character, saddened by the death of a close friend, loses his sense. He is in a comic book store reading, and upon being asked to leave, simply rips up the comic book and points a gun at the cashier. He then runs through the park with police pulling up on all sides of him, before being shot to death. The ending leaves you sad, spiritual, and above all, grateful. I recommend this movie to anyone who is experiencing, or has experienced a crazy childhood.
piethemanJan 28, 2016
An amazing book into an amazing film, they captured the characters amazingly with the selected actors and were able to bring many of the elements of the book to life. It was emotional and a great movie, a cinematic masterpiece.
MasterRileyJul 22, 2016
I liked this movie a lot when growing up. Its a great coming of age story that is worth watching for all adolescents. Would highly recommend checking it out.
laxdrew2Dec 29, 2016
The Outsiders is a moving tale about the life of Socs and Greasers. The film is well made, and carries a classic effect along with it. One cannot help but laugh when Dally says, "Let's do it for Johnny!" An all-star cast makes the filmThe Outsiders is a moving tale about the life of Socs and Greasers. The film is well made, and carries a classic effect along with it. One cannot help but laugh when Dally says, "Let's do it for Johnny!" An all-star cast makes the film much better than it could have been. Expand