Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: March 25, 1983
8.6
Universal acclaim based on 127 Ratings
Watch Now
JayHMay 6, 2008
Considering the talent involved, and the remarkable cast of young stars, the movie just lacks involvement and depth. All the ingredients are there, somehow it didn't fully come together. Still, it is a well crafted film and it is Considering the talent involved, and the remarkable cast of young stars, the movie just lacks involvement and depth. All the ingredients are there, somehow it didn't fully come together. Still, it is a well crafted film and it is interesting, just not as interesting as it should have been. Expand
1 of 1 users found this helpful
smithyOct 14, 2007
All i can say is its not as good as the book.
1 of 1 users found this helpful
AkamanJan 2, 2013
Let me just say that I read "The Outsiders" in novel form before having seen this movie. Viewing "The Complete Novel" edition, I felt that this adaptation did not serve the book the glory it should have. While the locations and sets wereLet me just say that I read "The Outsiders" in novel form before having seen this movie. Viewing "The Complete Novel" edition, I felt that this adaptation did not serve the book the glory it should have. While the locations and sets were fitting to the story, and the plot is very faithful to its source material, the problem is the unconvincing acting. Thomas C. Howell lead in one of his early roles as Ponyboy, a greaser from Oklahoma. His friend Johnny, played by Ralph Maccio, becomes responsible for a murder of one of the Socs, a class of rich teens, and the two have to face the trouble they've made.

Howell's performance just kills it for me. He shows such little emotion in his expressions and tone, which does not worm for a deep and sensitive character such as Ponyboy. The same can be said about Maccio, whose crying scene is incredibly forced. I understand that, according to Metacritic's "15 Films that Critics Got Wrong," what makes this movie so "great" is that its stars would go on to become big names in Holywood, but their lack of experience at the point this was made is actually a flaw to me. To top it all off, they use ridiculous fake southwestern accents that make it hard to take seriously. See it only if you are that big of a fan of the book.
wildermovreviewJan 28, 2012
A very hard hitting and moving story about rival gangs and the effect it has on the lives of the people in and around the gangs. The story follows two of the younger greasers after one of them accidently kills a rival gang member in selfA very hard hitting and moving story about rival gangs and the effect it has on the lives of the people in and around the gangs. The story follows two of the younger greasers after one of them accidently kills a rival gang member in self defence. They leave town and believe they will have to remain on the run forever.

With a cast to die for, The Outsiders is an incredible, hard hitting film. Portrayed in a believable and moving way, the cast includes Matt Dillon, Emilio Estevez, Diane Lane, Patrick Swayze, Tom Cruise, C. Thomas Howell and Rob Lowe. But Ralph Macchio stands out in this film as Johnny Cade.

The direction of Francis Ford Coppola along with stunning performances from the cast bring this film to life. You feel for the characters as they take you on an emotional rollercoaster. You laugh along with them and share in the anguish and feel the pain they all go through just to survive. It is hard not to watch the film now without comparing other films the cast have made since this film. But for many of the cast, it is up there with the finest performances of their career.

The film is an adaption of a classic novel by S.E. Hinton who was just 16 when the novel was first published in 1967. It was also her first novel. The book has become part of school English curriculum.
curtwMay 2, 2008
This movie is one of a kind. It showed us about the gang life.It showed us even though other people might think your dirt. You will always have your friends.
JessicaMar 22, 2009
This was an extremely powerful movie full of gorgeous imagery and an interesting plot. I wish it had been longer to have built up the relationships between the Greaser's and the Soc's further, but an incredibly memorable and moving This was an extremely powerful movie full of gorgeous imagery and an interesting plot. I wish it had been longer to have built up the relationships between the Greaser's and the Soc's further, but an incredibly memorable and moving picture. Expand
RhiannonKFeb 18, 2008
This is an enspiring movie. We had to walk it in Health class, I really got into it. Then when we had to write a report on the movie. It was so much fun letting my feelings flow. Thank you for creating a magnificant movie!
alanoJun 17, 2010
I've read the novel the movie was based on and both the movie and novel were great. Some critics just don't get these kind of movies. This adaption is very decent!
timCNov 27, 2007
Remains on of my favorite films, tense, tender, a preview of many significant actor's careers, awesome cinemtography.
CreviewerFeb 23, 2011
The first problem, the actors not that they were bad but the fact that the movie relied on them too much. It had good action and seemed believable. Until they started talking. The problem is that it followed the book almost line by line andThe first problem, the actors not that they were bad but the fact that the movie relied on them too much. It had good action and seemed believable. Until they started talking. The problem is that it followed the book almost line by line and that made it very cheesy and the buff cool kids would suddenly spout a line from a poem and that ruined it. Expand
MovieGuysApr 3, 2014
The Outsiders was a very good book, but the movie doesn't even come close. Right from the get-go, the story dwindles and the actors portray their characters awkwardly, almost as if they have no clue what type of character they should beThe Outsiders was a very good book, but the movie doesn't even come close. Right from the get-go, the story dwindles and the actors portray their characters awkwardly, almost as if they have no clue what type of character they should be playing. Add this to the list of another one of Coppola's bombs. Expand
ChespinJJan 25, 2014
So **** stupiD! The book is even worse. I am being super super super super super nice with this review! it is aSo **** stupiD! The book is even worse. I am being super super super super super nice with this review! it is a -0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001/100 stars. And that is super nice too. the worst author and movie ever Expand
lukechristianscJun 10, 2015
Director Francis Ford Coppola continues to adapt S.E Hinton's novels onto the big screen, but this time he adapts her first debut novel onto the big screen. Before watching the film I have read the novel,so far Kathleen Rowell's screenplayDirector Francis Ford Coppola continues to adapt S.E Hinton's novels onto the big screen, but this time he adapts her first debut novel onto the big screen. Before watching the film I have read the novel,so far Kathleen Rowell's screenplay misses nearly perfect realized film about adolescents. Coppola's cast of young stars are perfect and talented we can see them playing the characters. C. Thomas Howell was missed cast his performance as the main character "Ponyboy" was not terrible but I think he was stale. The screenplay does not give depth to the protagonist; the film's location is spot on! While the locations and sets were fitting to the story. Coppola's direction is good, he captures dramatic tension and we have sympathy for the characters. The film creates the scenes from it's source material, which is good and fans of the book will love. The performances were great, the script needed some work. Grade B+ Expand
geenucocoApr 23, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As I the movie came to an end, an amazing feeling swept over me. Growing up as a youth in Long Beach, California in the twenty-first century, it always seemed that the problems the youth face today were a lot worse than in the past. This movie does an astonishing job illustrating the crazy and dangerous life that teenage boys lived through in the American heartland over four decades ago! As I watched, the similarities between my adolescence and theirs gave me a very grateful feeling to have made it out of that stage of my life. For me, this movie was a very spiritual reminder of the possible dangers, temptations, loyalties, friendships, and overall craziness of teenage life.

Plot
The movie begins in the 1960`s with three Topeka youth meeting up to sneak into a drive-in movie theater. After the movie have a fierce confrontation with the boys from the other side of town. The plot line is full of drama, confrontation with rivals, murder, running away, death, police and violence. It makes for one of the best movies you have ever seen.

Acting
The acting in this production is definitely up to standards. You can feel the emotions in the actors voices and see them in their eyes. It is so real it almost makes you not want to believe that they are actors. This was a very heartfelt production and I wish they would have made a sequel; before the teenage actors reached their fifties.

Music
The music in this film was very deep and comforting. They featured the song "Stay Gold" by Stevie Wonder. It keeps a deep and spiritual vibe in tune with the craziness of the youth.

Characters
The characters seem very interesting for mid-western youth, with some featuring names such as Sodapop and Ponyboy, and others with less interesting names such as Johnny. The characters are very believable and awe-inspiring.

Ending
The story has a sad, interesting, spiritual, and above all, unbelievable ending. A character, saddened by the death of a close friend, loses his sense. He is in a comic book store reading, and upon being asked to leave, simply rips up the comic book and points a gun at the cashier. He then runs through the park with police pulling up on all sides of him, before being shot to death. The ending leaves you sad, spiritual, and above all, grateful. I recommend this movie to anyone who is experiencing, or has experienced a crazy childhood.
piethemanJan 28, 2016
An amazing book into an amazing film, they captured the characters amazingly with the selected actors and were able to bring many of the elements of the book to life. It was emotional and a great movie, a cinematic masterpiece.
TheMovieSceneJun 18, 2016
Francis Coppola has made a well acted and crafted but highly conventional film out of S.E. Hinton’s popular youth novel, The Outsiders. Although set in the mid-1960s, pic feels very much like a 1950s drama about problem kids.

Screenplay is

Screenplay is extremely faithful to the source material, even down to having the film open with the leading character and narrator, C. Thomas Howell, reciting the first lines of his literary effort while we see him writing them.

But dialog which reads naturally and evocatively on the page doesn’t play as well on screen, and there’s a decided difficulty of tone during the early sequences, as Howell and his buddies (Matt Dillon and Ralph Macchio) horse around town, sneak into a drive-in and have an unpleasant confrontation with the Socs, rival gang from the well-heeled part of town.

When the Socs attack Howell and Macchio in the middle of the night, latter ends up killing a boy to save his friend, and the two flee to a hideaway in an abandoned rural church. It is during this mid-section that the film starts coming to life, largely due to the integrity of the performances by Howell and Macchio.

Howell is truly impressive, a bulwark of relative stability in a sea of posturing and pretense. Macchio is also outstanding as his doomed friend, and Patrick Swayze is fine as the oldest brother forced into the role of parent.
MasterRileyJul 22, 2016
I liked this movie a lot when growing up. Its a great coming of age story that is worth watching for all adolescents. Would highly recommend checking it out.
laxdrew2Dec 29, 2016
The Outsiders is a moving tale about the life of Socs and Greasers. The film is well made, and carries a classic effect along with it. One cannot help but laugh when Dally says, "Let's do it for Johnny!" An all-star cast makes the filmThe Outsiders is a moving tale about the life of Socs and Greasers. The film is well made, and carries a classic effect along with it. One cannot help but laugh when Dally says, "Let's do it for Johnny!" An all-star cast makes the film much better than it could have been. Expand
TrailesqueApr 3, 2017
Here is a who's-who of hot young male stars from the early 1980s. Too bad it is not a better movie. It is an adaptation of S.E. Hinton's hugely popular book that starts off pretty well, but blunders into over-the-top melodrama etc. ItHere is a who's-who of hot young male stars from the early 1980s. Too bad it is not a better movie. It is an adaptation of S.E. Hinton's hugely popular book that starts off pretty well, but blunders into over-the-top melodrama etc. It looks like it was intentionally shot with a retro palate that makes me think of 1950s classics like "East of Eden." Expand