Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) | Release Date: June 28, 2000
6.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 117 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Check box if your review contains spoilers 0 characteres (5000 max)
JonAOct 14, 2005
The dialog is so embarressingly corny that my father and i laughed at scenes that were suppose to be heartbreaking. some of the action scenes were alright looking but we've seen it all before, truly awful.
2 of 2 users found this helpful
AaronN.Aug 3, 2005
Embarrasingly bad, wildly ahistorical look at the Revolution. Utterly predictable plot, absurdly P.C. characters (Mel's character doesn't actually own slaves, they "just work for him"), and the less said about the "Club Med" scenes Embarrasingly bad, wildly ahistorical look at the Revolution. Utterly predictable plot, absurdly P.C. characters (Mel's character doesn't actually own slaves, they "just work for him"), and the less said about the "Club Med" scenes the better. A complete disaster. Expand
1 of 1 users found this helpful
PaulHOct 14, 2005
I really really hated this movie, that's the only thing i can even think to say about it.
1 of 2 users found this helpful
CatDec 2, 2006
Terrible movie...the best part was the costumes. Virtually plotless, blatantly pandering, and more like the real Mel Gibson than the real American Revolution, shall we say.
1 of 2 users found this helpful
G_Thomas_BostonApr 25, 2013
Director Roland Emmerich plus music by John "The Big Schmaltzy" Williams plus screenwriter Robert Rodat (Saving Private Ryan) plus Mel Gibson equals Overblown Hollywood Wanna-Be Epic

There was so much slow motion in this film that if the

There was so much slow motion in this film that if the director had shot the scenes in real time, this 2 hour and 45 minutes of torture would have ran (mercifully) about 12 minutes.
LansdenrsJun 3, 2013
I can't believe people think this is good. Acting wasnt great moments are stretched and I felt like I was watching a soap opera. Every scene has someone crying. By the end of it I was bored.
pauljohnsonNov 23, 2011
Totally predictable "one man's revenge" melodrama plot. Some outrageous moments that are so hard to swallow, and are obviously designed to tug at the patriotic heart strings of Americans. The dialogue was horribly written and so obviouslyTotally predictable "one man's revenge" melodrama plot. Some outrageous moments that are so hard to swallow, and are obviously designed to tug at the patriotic heart strings of Americans. The dialogue was horribly written and so obviously scripted you could tell even the best of actors were struggling to deliver it convincingly. Almost no attention is paid through the entire movie to fleshing out the characters beyond a bit of their back stories and roles in the film. Heath Ledger is completely wasted in this thing, and Mel Gibson delivers the same bland performance as he does in any other movie; in fact during an ambush scene in the forest, I had trouble telling his character apart from the trees, his performance was that wooden.

The movie relies on so painfully obvious set ups, story twists and cringe worthy cliches, that it makes you want to stop the movie so you can go to the bathroom and vomit. A complete disservice to the memory of the Revolutionaries. Congratulations, George Washington, you and your men's cause has been boiled down to a pathetic, cliched, pandering, unconvincing, shocking manipulative excuse for a film. Roland Emerich, stop making movies. You cannot direct.
viuuiuvyDec 2, 2015
A violent, bloody, and evil movie. What a shame that someone had to make something so gory & weird. This movie is seriously way too violent & bizarre.