The Phantom of the Opera

8.7

1. TaylaM.
    Dec 26, 2007
    This HAS to be my favorite movie of all time. i basicly listen to it every day. I wish i could sing like any of them. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!
  2. kim
    Jun 10, 2005
    One of the best movie i've ever seen. Gerard Butler is wonderful. He is truly the phantom. much has been said about how good lookin he is and therefore is the wrong choice for the role., but i actually found the contrast, one side so beautiful and the other side so horribly deformed startling and more tragic. He is so good in this movie that he made me cry something that no male One of the best movie i've ever seen. Gerard Butler is wonderful. He is truly the phantom. much has been said about how good lookin he is and therefore is the wrong choice for the role., but i actually found the contrast, one side so beautiful and the other side so horribly deformed startling and more tragic. He is so good in this movie that he made me cry something that no male actor has done in any movie before. He anguished in knowing that he will be alone, an outcast for the rest of his life is the main emotion that he had manage to convey. He really abandoned himself to his role and made himself emotionally vulnerable in this movie. He must be exhausted at the end of filming. Expand
  3. kellie
    Nov 10, 2006
    This is absolutely powering. something just comes over you watching this film. the actors bring such feeling to the roles. incredible film.
  4. Sep 16, 2014
    I hate musicals, but this is different. The music is just perfect, the story is just perfect, I can not understand why this film has a low Metascore.
    But not everything is good, I think the book is better than the movie and if the movie were like the book, the movie would have been better
  5. Jan 13, 2012
    I loved this movie! I have watched the movie many more times than I can count. I love Emmy Rossum. She looks so beautiful throughout the whole movie. I also love Jennifer Ellison. She is so cute. Gerard Butler was a little pitchy at times but overall not bad at all. I really dislike Carlotta though. She makes me want to scream.
  6. Jul 8, 2012
    Well acted, Beautiful Music and a great storyline keeps this movie going until the very end
  7. Oct 20, 2013
    It's really a SPECTACULAR movie. The music and the effects are AMAZING. Gerard and Emmy did a really good job as Erik and Christine. Once I started watching I couldn't stop singing songs from it. The music is like drugs, once started you can't stop. The musical though is a little better than the movie.
  8. Christine
    Sep 17, 2005
    Wow!The Movie was great. I love the Phantom. I dont like Raoul.Christine & Phantom 4ever!
  9. Jul 29, 2015
    I never watched the film version due to the Critics..for more than a decade. Hey..they're supposed to know everything right? It seems that they are either watching a different movie or maybe they couldn't accept that Joel Schumacher, the director that 'destroyed' the Batman franchise, 'a studio hack' can create a masterpiece...a rendition of the hit musical so perfect...that if this filmI never watched the film version due to the Critics..for more than a decade. Hey..they're supposed to know everything right? It seems that they are either watching a different movie or maybe they couldn't accept that Joel Schumacher, the director that 'destroyed' the Batman franchise, 'a studio hack' can create a masterpiece...a rendition of the hit musical so perfect...that if this film released today, it would be a massive box office hit in line with Les Miserables. Here, all the actors and believe it or not...Gerard Butler is absolutely great as the Phantom. Yes..King Leonidas...general all around tough guy as a Broadway performer...you better believe it. Also, the fact that Emily Rossum never became a household name is a crime by itself...unbelievable voice and acting at such a young age. This is a film that was snubbed by the critics, and you should take a moment to hunt this masterpiece. I'm glad I did. Expand
  10. May 22, 2015
    40 on Metacritic is a joke. Seriously. Go through any of the critics reviews and you will find they are just **** about Joel Schumacher in general and not the great work he did on this film. Phantom is probably the best musical of all-time.
  11. MichaelD.
    Jan 30, 2005
    While not perfect, the score is very well orchestrated. The two male leads were not well cast, but Emmy Rossum does a great job, as well as the Meg Giry character. Will someone tell me why if this is set in Paris, only one character has a French accent?
  12. DebS.
    May 13, 2005
    Wow. Let me tell you, I am a Phantom of the Opera fan already, but this movie was wonderful!! The singing isn't the best, but it's so moving and heartfelt. It's wonderful! I ran out and bought the CD as soon I saw the movie and I bought the DVD the day it came out. This movie is, simply put, Amazing!!!
  13. HarronL.
    Jan 1, 2005
    Very Very good. Cleared up a lot of questions on the story line from the theatrical production. Director's deviations made story go very well. Music was outstanding.
  14. WilliamT.
    Jan 4, 2005
    If you believe in critics, please don't go see the movie. You will make room for the people that want to see one of the best movies ever done about a "STORY" about LOVE & PASSION. If you love the music, you will love to see the music again.
  15. EthanP.
    Jan 6, 2005
    Not as creative as a stage version in which the sets truly come to life, but more intimate and moving. Somewhat difficult to warm up to during the first act as a result of all the bad reviews, but the rooftop scene sets the story on a course of reassuring romance. By the end, there's an aching kind of sadness which evokes the sense that love is a luxury and life without it is Not as creative as a stage version in which the sets truly come to life, but more intimate and moving. Somewhat difficult to warm up to during the first act as a result of all the bad reviews, but the rooftop scene sets the story on a course of reassuring romance. By the end, there's an aching kind of sadness which evokes the sense that love is a luxury and life without it is painfully sorrowful. (That profundity is nearly ruined by the terrible, new, Oscar-begging song, which is so trite and out-of-whack that it can't really be considered part of the movie.) Expand
  16. F.Lee
    Feb 20, 2005
    Great.
  17. Stephanie
    Feb 6, 2005
    The best film I have ever seen. The cast was brilliant, the music is spectacular, the story is beautiful and heart-breaking. Superb. I haven't seen it 9 times for nothing!
  18. DavidK
    Apr 7, 2005
    I have seen the opera numerous times and I thought this was really good. Emmy and the cast were great! The sets amazing. However, the big mis-cast was the Phantom. He just didn't have the range. Listen to Michael Crawford and you will see what I mean.
  19. sumayyaj.
    May 16, 2005
    The critics have really got it wrong-this is a marvellous film.
  20. DeeGee
    Jun 10, 2005
    I don't understand why the critics and even some Phans bashed this film so badly! I've seen Phantom live three times, all with Brad Little as the Phantom, and I will admit that seeing it live is infinitely better than watching the movie. HOWEVER, we cannot forget that there are people in certain areas of the country who do not have access to live theater. Shouldn't they be I don't understand why the critics and even some Phans bashed this film so badly! I've seen Phantom live three times, all with Brad Little as the Phantom, and I will admit that seeing it live is infinitely better than watching the movie. HOWEVER, we cannot forget that there are people in certain areas of the country who do not have access to live theater. Shouldn't they be allowed to enjoy a wonderful story and beautiful music as well? And I think that if I had never seen the stage version I would like the film even more. I do wish that they had elected to use some of the past or current stage actors/actresses in this film as I agree that Butler's voice does not measure up to Crawford or Little. But he did a beautiful job acting the part and he is gorgeous! Emmy as well does not have the voice of the stage performers but she did a good job also. In all I would have been just as pleased if they had simply taped a stage performance of the play for release on DVD like they did with Cats. As to the movie's content, I feel that it was true to the play in almost all respects. The chandelier scene is not as dramatic as in the stage version but it was refit at an adequate point. I did enjoy seeing Weber's explanation of where the Phantom came from and his relationship with Mme. Giry as that was always a confusing point for me when I saw the play. I also thought the cemetery scene was very well done and tied in the lyrics of Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again to the scenery beautifully! I do respect the opinions of others and if they honestly did not like it as a movie then they should be allowed to voice that opinion but I think too many of the critics are not rating the movie itself but are rather trying to rate it in comparison to the live stage version. I loved it and I plan to buy the DVD and watch it over and over until I wear it out and will then buy another copy! Expand
  21. IsabellaG.
    Jun 20, 2005
    I love the phantom of the opera! It's my favorite movie, I watch it all day and night. I memorized the whole entire movie. I even sound like Emmy Rossum. I'm Emmy Rossum's number one fan and I think the phantom dude is good looking.
  22. TomD
    Jun 8, 2005
    I have been a fan of ALW's musicals for years, and I got to see Phantom in theater with Michael Crawford in the lead role. Crawford set a standard that makes any flaws in other Phantoms more pronounced, and to me, Gerard Butler was cast a little too young, and his voice lacks the kind of range and personality needed for the role. That's not to say he was awful...just that I I have been a fan of ALW's musicals for years, and I got to see Phantom in theater with Michael Crawford in the lead role. Crawford set a standard that makes any flaws in other Phantoms more pronounced, and to me, Gerard Butler was cast a little too young, and his voice lacks the kind of range and personality needed for the role. That's not to say he was awful...just that I thought the role could have been cast better. If you never saw Crawford, it might not bother you. The rest of the movie was very good. I love Christine and Raoul's character actually came off as heroic rather than stuffy and bland, like some other Raouls I've seen. The music is great--you either love it or you don't get it, and therefore hate it. Beautifully filmed and I was pleasantly surprised at how much of that theater-feel translated to the big screen. Definitely worth seeing. Great date movie. Expand
  23. Sarah
    Jan 15, 2006
    Best movie of all time. This movie could be much better without Raoul. Christine should choose The Phantom, because he is so nice & handsome, despite mask, that covered his face. He just couldnt be a violent kiler, who haunts Opera House. All I Ask of You is good song, although, it is love between Raoul & Christine. I think, she really is attracted to Phantom more than to Raoul. He is Best movie of all time. This movie could be much better without Raoul. Christine should choose The Phantom, because he is so nice & handsome, despite mask, that covered his face. He just couldnt be a violent kiler, who haunts Opera House. All I Ask of You is good song, although, it is love between Raoul & Christine. I think, she really is attracted to Phantom more than to Raoul. He is supporting character. I think, that in love songs with Phantom, she really liked him, she love him anyway-dark, forbidden love! I just love it:) Expand
  24. Scarlett
    Feb 15, 2006
    Very good movie with excellent music. The thing I didn't understand - what Christine found about Raoul? Emmy Rossum and Gerard Butler were great and Minnie Driver as Charlotta - super.
  25. POTOredrose
    Aug 20, 2008
    One of my favorite movies...Gerard Butler gave a very powerful and captivating performance and the entire cast did a great job !!
  26. DougS.
    Dec 30, 2004
    An amazing adaptation of a beloved stage work that loses very little in the translation. It's apparently "hip" right now to rag on the film, but I predict that down the road it will become appreciated far more than it is now by the so-called "intelligensia."
  27. J.Shankle
    Jan 10, 2005
    This is truly a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Schumacher could either better develop the story (there were attempts at giving us a back story) or remain faithful to the stage play. I have never seen the stage version, but I watched the movie with someone who has three times. We both loved the movie. I agree that the story is sappy and trite at times, but I still This is truly a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Schumacher could either better develop the story (there were attempts at giving us a back story) or remain faithful to the stage play. I have never seen the stage version, but I watched the movie with someone who has three times. We both loved the movie. I agree that the story is sappy and trite at times, but I still enjoyed the symbolism of the tortured soul that only longed to be loved, the Phantom's spiral into madness and obsession, and the dichotomy of light (Christine and Raoul's love/pure love)vs. dark (Phantom's erotic passion for Christine/hedonistic lust). The acting was fine -- I like Butler in his other roles. He brings tortured passion to the role. Even if he doesn't sing like Crawford, his work is still pleasant. Rossum, attacked for not being mature enough, really is more the ingenue for which the role calls. Wilson also does great work with an underdeveloped character. The lushness and raw emotional power are what sustain this story, not strong plot and character development. Expand
  28. SherryW.
    Jan 14, 2005
    Excellent rendition! Bravo.
  29. JenniferB.
    Jan 10, 2005
    One of the best movies I've seen all year! I saw it three times in a two week period, and I STILL can't get enough!!! A total triumph!
  30. LisaP.
    Jan 17, 2005
    I loved the movie! I'm not sure I fully understood the ending. If you can help me with this please email me. Thanks.
  31. IlzeS
    Jan 18, 2005
    Probably the first really good american movie of 2004. Emmy Rossum is young actress, but she sings really good, also Gerard Butler. This opera is the Broadway show, but it
  32. Dana
    Jan 23, 2005
    If you love musicals, then Phantom of the Opera is an obvious must see. If you've never seen a muscial or live theatre, then seeing Phantom of the Opera is a great way to experience a taste of the magic that happens only on a live stage, and that very rarely is successfully translated to the silverscreen. The Phantom of the Opera movie captured all the elements of a live show and If you love musicals, then Phantom of the Opera is an obvious must see. If you've never seen a muscial or live theatre, then seeing Phantom of the Opera is a great way to experience a taste of the magic that happens only on a live stage, and that very rarely is successfully translated to the silverscreen. The Phantom of the Opera movie captured all the elements of a live show and more. Forget the critics and see for yourself what a wonderful movie it is. Be prepared for a breathtaking and unforgettable film. Expand
  33. VinceH.
    Jan 24, 2005
    Obviously most of these reviews are from Phantom-geeks who own the soundtrack, have seen the play zillions of times, the movie at least twice, know the words to all the songs, etc. For a cinephile like me who enjoys a good musical, this film provides enough thrills but is also a bit taxing at times. The campy, overblown Gay-fashion-disco style that Schumacer brought to the final 2 Obviously most of these reviews are from Phantom-geeks who own the soundtrack, have seen the play zillions of times, the movie at least twice, know the words to all the songs, etc. For a cinephile like me who enjoys a good musical, this film provides enough thrills but is also a bit taxing at times. The campy, overblown Gay-fashion-disco style that Schumacer brought to the final 2 unfortunate "Batman" movies is actually put to good use here. Visually, the musical is translated very well and Webber's music still holds up. Yes it is a simple story but the classic romance-elements of it will always captivate the young women who are obsessed with it. Phantom devotees will love it, all others be warned...this is a long-ass movie! Expand
  34. Hannah
    Oct 25, 2005
    I think that the phantom of the opera is the best movie ever. Cristine is my favourate character in the movie my sisters is Meg i'm 10 and my sister is 13.
  35. phantomima
    Oct 26, 2005
    Is the best film I've seen lately, it cares for every detail and the music is outstanding. I love it!
  36. KatherineH.
    Jan 2, 2005
    A true masterpiece of a movie. Gerard Butler and Emmy Rossum are spectacular finds. I've already seen it twice and plan to go a few more! Good job Schumacher and Webber.
  37. BarryS.
    Jan 3, 2005
    Movie was spectacular, as was the performance of Emmy Rossum... Movie Soundtrack should be a big seller as well.
  38. JoeM.
    Jan 5, 2005
    I love these idiots that keep calling this film a "video" just because it has music in it. I suppose every movie that has music in it should now be referred to as a "video." Basically it is just another way to toss darts at the movie and Lloyd Webber. But like the Broadway show, the movie will survive the critics' bashing and will triumph!
  39. AaronV
    Jan 8, 2005
    Spectacular, the performance of Gerald Butler and Em Rossum were most notable, as they really showed their emotion. Love the story (as I always have) and hope that this film gets its due credit.
  40. BeckaH.
    Jan 8, 2005
    While overall her singing is gorgeous, there are some spots where rossum hits flat, the phantom's voice is awful. It makes it seem like he quite literally "gave" her his music, because now he has none. it takes you where the stage can't, to scenery changes and fluidity that the stage can't compare, though the live edition on broadway is also breathtaking for other reasons. While overall her singing is gorgeous, there are some spots where rossum hits flat, the phantom's voice is awful. It makes it seem like he quite literally "gave" her his music, because now he has none. it takes you where the stage can't, to scenery changes and fluidity that the stage can't compare, though the live edition on broadway is also breathtaking for other reasons. Cinematography is well done and it follows the plot to a T. Weber's music was well represented in it's usual, sometimes over the top though dramatically beautiful form. Acting was great overall, minnie driver was hilarious and really made you hate her as the hedonistic diva. Emmy Rossum played the young, innocent, bewitched girl with charm and grace. The Phantom was ensnaring and noble and captured your heart as an actor, but i wanted a mute button when he sang! The sound editors couuld have edited out his vocal flaws a little better, and Rossum and Phantom could have been more practiced at blending together. Overall a wonderful and breathtaking film and one I will have to own on DVD, of course in Widescreen! Expand
  41. RoseB.
    Jan 9, 2005
    I really liked this film, the critics that panned it didnt like the stage production either, so you would not expect anything else from them.
  42. antiochl.
    Feb 1, 2005
    Fabulously romantic, "over-the-top" entertainment. Valentine's Day is coming--a perfect date movie, fellas!
  43. SteenS.
    Feb 1, 2005
    Having seen the stage version 3 times, I was sceptical going in but I was blown away by the result. As good and faithfull an adaptation from stage to screen as You will ever see. Rossum, Butler and Driver are excellent. Oh, and don't mind the critics on this one. They are way off!
  44. DianneP.
    Feb 4, 2005
    Andrew Lloyd Webber
  45. BethanyS.
    Mar 1, 2005
    This was the best movie that I have ever seen. Emmy Rossum and Gerad Butler are the best characters to play the Phantom and Christine!!!!!!
  46. abbie
    Mar 2, 2005
    I loved it. The music was great and the actors were amazing. It was a long movie but i didn't even notice how long it was til after when i looked at my watch. I would so recomend it for anyone.
  47. reneef.
    Mar 7, 2005
    I thought that this movie was beautifully done.
  48. AlexandraO.
    Apr 2, 2005
    I Loved this movie, I haven't seen the stage play but I might this summer. I'm thinking the stage play will be better, but we'll see.
  49. DianeS.
    Apr 23, 2005
    This piece of cinema is myth that resolves for the first time a metaphysical paradox of the redemtion of evil. Shumaker draws the symbolism in every possible, thus enriching the parable in multiple dimensions. The performances are juicy and centered in the characters. Like The Wizard of Oz, we are gripped by a tale of our own soul journey, and we cannot resist the revelation in the mirror.
  50. StephenD
    Apr 29, 2005
    I usually am torn between giving this movie a 9 or a 10. I obviously loved it, but I do not at all have any dilusions that it was perfect. Compared to the stage show, it was simply a sufficient adaptation. But I believe that the magic of seeing the show can never be captured on screen--so, taking this movie on its own, it was a perfect screen version of the musical. I would have changed I usually am torn between giving this movie a 9 or a 10. I obviously loved it, but I do not at all have any dilusions that it was perfect. Compared to the stage show, it was simply a sufficient adaptation. But I believe that the magic of seeing the show can never be captured on screen--so, taking this movie on its own, it was a perfect screen version of the musical. I would have changed some details, but details schme-tails--the overall feeling you get when watching this entertaining, beautiful film is enough to give it a 10. And this is coming from a long-time phan who loves the stage version, the Leroux version, the Chaney version. Expand
  51. Lauren
    Apr 30, 2005
    This movie was beautiful! And whoever thinks that Emmy Rossums a bad singer is insane! She's only 17, and has been in operas since she was 5. She has a gorgeous voice, and gerard's mysterious voice adds to the phantom making him seem even more ominous. If any of you have read about him at tryouts he had never had a singing lesson before. oh yeah, the only person who lip-synced This movie was beautiful! And whoever thinks that Emmy Rossums a bad singer is insane! She's only 17, and has been in operas since she was 5. She has a gorgeous voice, and gerard's mysterious voice adds to the phantom making him seem even more ominous. If any of you have read about him at tryouts he had never had a singing lesson before. oh yeah, the only person who lip-synced was Carlotta, nobody else did. And Emmy Rossum is beautiful! By the way if you haven't already, read the book, it was very good. Did you know the phantom of the opera is based on a true story? My parents have been to the real opera house in Paris. This is an absolutely gorgeous film, with gorgeous music. I don't even know how anyone can judge the acting that well, because, well it was mostly singing, hence why it's a musical. It's now my favorite movie. Expand
  52. AshC.
    May 20, 2005
    Absolutely brilliant! I've never seen the Broadway production before, but I'm going to see it over the summer. This movie was the best I've ever seen! Emmy Rossum definitely deserved that award for Breakthrough Actress and I fell in love with Gerard Butler's charismatic voice. Awesome job!
  53. IsabellK.
    May 21, 2005
    I am a die-hard Phantom fan and I was very skeptical about the movie, especially after hearing about the decision to cast relatively "unknown" actors who have never played these parts before, but I was very pleasantly surprised and delighted! Grant it, it's no Michael and Sarah, but I think Gerard and Emmy due a great job. I definitely loved Patrick's take on Raoul, it made me I am a die-hard Phantom fan and I was very skeptical about the movie, especially after hearing about the decision to cast relatively "unknown" actors who have never played these parts before, but I was very pleasantly surprised and delighted! Grant it, it's no Michael and Sarah, but I think Gerard and Emmy due a great job. I definitely loved Patrick's take on Raoul, it made me like the character MUCH better than I have in the past. Of course I still and always will prefer the Phantom over Raoul and I always get an urge to slap Christine in the face whenever she favors Raoul, especially in the last scene after singing an incredibly sexually-charged duet with the Phantom and he pretty much throws himself at her feet--she's such a tease! But anyway, Gerard certainly makes an extremely sexy and handsome Phantom, despite the deformity, and it makes me want to slap Christine and kick Raoul out of the picture all the more. This is a movie that if you like it, you love it and you're definitely thinking about it for a few days after viewing. Love it! Expand
  54. JenevieveO.
    May 20, 2005
    OH MY GOD!!! i thought that this movie would like really stink and i couldn't believe that my chorus teacher was making me watch it. then when i saw the end i had to hide my tears from the rest of the class. i LOVED this movie. it definitely is my favorite movie over everything. i am going out to buy this movie as soon as i get home! i really fell in love with the phantom despite his OH MY GOD!!! i thought that this movie would like really stink and i couldn't believe that my chorus teacher was making me watch it. then when i saw the end i had to hide my tears from the rest of the class. i LOVED this movie. it definitely is my favorite movie over everything. i am going out to buy this movie as soon as i get home! i really fell in love with the phantom despite his face. Gerard Butler was sooooo the best and he sings even better than ewan mcgregor, which i thought was hard to beat, but he was amazing and so enchanting. i seriously think i love him more than i can describe!!!!! Collapse
  55. LoisM
    May 31, 2005
    My all time favorite musical. I loved Gerard Bulter, he was excellent as the Phantom. He has an amazing voice. I've watched it five times this weekend.
  56. KenzieH.
    May 30, 2005
    If there would be a rating of 10,000,000,000 i would absolutly pozitively vote that on all of the actors and actresses in that movie! espessialy Gerard Butler! he is honestly the most hottest guy on earth!for all thos STUPID PEOPLE who rated this 0-6 - why did you even write something here if u dont like the movie! you people are soo dumb! GET A LIFE!!! maybe you should just watch it If there would be a rating of 10,000,000,000 i would absolutly pozitively vote that on all of the actors and actresses in that movie! espessialy Gerard Butler! he is honestly the most hottest guy on earth!for all thos STUPID PEOPLE who rated this 0-6 - why did you even write something here if u dont like the movie! you people are soo dumb! GET A LIFE!!! maybe you should just watch it another time so than you van actually understand it! and no the people are not lip synching at all! Gerard Butler has most perfect voice ever! and so does emmy rossum!!! WATCH IT ANOTHER TIME!insted of being too stupid to understand it! maybe you will understand if you would GET A BRAIN!!! Expand
  57. ConnieS.
    May 4, 2005
    Absolutely breathtaking. I am in love with Gerry Butler and Emmy's preformance is amazing
  58. JaneDoe
    May 4, 2005
    I thought it protrayed well the need that all human beings have to be loved and what can happen to a person when they are deined this love (The Phantom) or lose this love (Christine losing her father) and how people go searching for it.
  59. NickyK.
    May 5, 2005
    Really loved it! I also went to see the musical in London and in my opinion both are really marvelous productions. Gerard Butler gives a bit of a rock essence to the movie.
  60. ChristyN.
    May 6, 2005
    Great music, great sets, great chemistry, great passion!!
  61. Emdoesn'tconcernyou
    May 9, 2005
    I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!! IT IS ONE OF MY FAVS Those critics don't know what they are taking about, some saying that there is too much singing! The nerve!!! It's called a musical for a reason and I can grantee that 99% of them don't like that particular genre of film!!!! Well as long as the majority of the public disagree, then it is ok with me, if anyone else agrees with me I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!! IT IS ONE OF MY FAVS Those critics don't know what they are taking about, some saying that there is too much singing! The nerve!!! It's called a musical for a reason and I can grantee that 99% of them don't like that particular genre of film!!!! Well as long as the majority of the public disagree, then it is ok with me, if anyone else agrees with me then good on yer!!! I thought that both the acting and singing was brilliant, better than i hoped it would be. Gerard Butler can act his a** off, and DAMN is he HOT!!! I was practically screaming at the screen when Christne chose Raoel over the Phantom, HOW COULD SHE!!! Anywho, I thought that the film was Phantastic and Phabulous!!!! Though Raoel was a bit of a girl. I prefer someone more rugged and mysterious That was the only downer of the film! Shoos!!! Expand
  62. JillB.
    Jun 10, 2005
    This is a great movie, but since I saw the Broadway touring company first, I can't give the movie full points; the movie has the chandalier falling at the wrong time, and there was that horrible spoken part in the middle of "Masquerade" that's supposed to be sung and sounded incredibly dumb spoken. I mean, come on. And there was the thing with the Phantom's face not even This is a great movie, but since I saw the Broadway touring company first, I can't give the movie full points; the movie has the chandalier falling at the wrong time, and there was that horrible spoken part in the middle of "Masquerade" that's supposed to be sung and sounded incredibly dumb spoken. I mean, come on. And there was the thing with the Phantom's face not even looking that bad...that's like the point of the movie. Despite these little blemishes, I think the movie still deserves a 9, if for no other reason than Andrew Lloyd Webber's music is amazing and Minnie Driver is hysterically wonderful in it! Expand
  63. HaileyB
    Jun 19, 2005
    I dont know how anybody coulf give it under a 10 it is my favorite movie and I am only 11 it is great it is underscibablely great i think it is the best one the music and everything I just dont know how to describe it anymore I bought the book,the movie, and the soundtrack.Its the coolest I could describe it anymore it would take ove 5 pages. iT'S THE BEST!!!
  64. DanetteH.
    Jun 20, 2005
    For all those people voting 0's: I WANNA HEAR YOU DO BETTER!!!! seriously! you people act like you have soooooo much talent. sure some of you might be able to sing but i find that talent really REALLY RARE!! people are saying that the broadway performances were better and such but YA' KNOW WHAT?!!?! NOT EVERYBODIES SEEN THE LIVE STAGE PERFORMANCE!! you people judge so unfairly! For all those people voting 0's: I WANNA HEAR YOU DO BETTER!!!! seriously! you people act like you have soooooo much talent. sure some of you might be able to sing but i find that talent really REALLY RARE!! people are saying that the broadway performances were better and such but YA' KNOW WHAT?!!?! NOT EVERYBODIES SEEN THE LIVE STAGE PERFORMANCE!! you people judge so unfairly! this is my favorite movie of all time!! i can't stop watching it!! Gerard Butler was PHANTASTIC!! can you believe people are saying that they were lipsinking?? ugh.. his voice is soooooo sexy!! his costumes were awesome! i think that he still was extremely sexy with the distorted face! YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY!!! lol! i heard one of the broadways and the phantom sounded like he was 19! eeeeeew! you can't even compare the plays to the movie! Gerard Butler....i wish i could meet you!! that would be the best thing ever!!! it is now my one goal to make the music of the night with the one true Angel of music!!!!! I LOOOOOVE YOU!! Emmy Rossom was AMAZING! i wish i could sing like that! people said that your voice was crackling but seriously: YOUR AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! i can't think of anyone who could do better to play a shy up-comming star! GOOD JOB! Patrick Wilson was GREAT!! (personally i think the phantom was hotter-sorry) but whoever did the casting did a really goooooooood job!! your hair wasn't geeky at all! people said it was but did they keep in mind that this movie was cast in 1870?NOOOOOOO!! Minnie Driver: I didn't even know that was you!! you did such a good job with the accent! Carlotta was HILARIOUS!! great job! i wish i could meet all you guys....fat chance......now i'm all upset cuz i know i prolly won't get to meet any of you.....*tear* there hasn't been a day since the movie came out in stores that i haven't watched it!! LITTERALLY!!! last night i slept for FIFTEEN HOURS dreaming about it!! my mom was worried:THE EFFECT OF THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA!!! Expand
  65. mariahm.
    Jun 2, 2005
    Omg i love this movie i cryed i thought it was the best movie that i hadd ever saw in my hole life.
  66. JoeV
    Jun 21, 2005
    I'm really not understanding the intense bashing that has come from some people for this movie. I loved it immensly. Gerard Butler is not a trained musical singer. With that said, I think that he did a commendable job. Emmy Rossum was incredible, I was really surprised by her singing voice, and Patrick Wilson was near perfect as usual. Obviously they are going to be lipsynching, I'm really not understanding the intense bashing that has come from some people for this movie. I loved it immensly. Gerard Butler is not a trained musical singer. With that said, I think that he did a commendable job. Emmy Rossum was incredible, I was really surprised by her singing voice, and Patrick Wilson was near perfect as usual. Obviously they are going to be lipsynching, that's how movie/musicals work. I read that people complained about that before I saw the movie, and I never recall any seriously noticable moments of bad overdubbing. I thought it was all done pretty professionally. The sets and costumes and makeup and sound was excellent. Also, guys, no acting? Singing is an act. Just becuase an actor opens their mouth to sing a song doesn't mean acting goes away. A lot goes with singing that is a litle more subtle sometimes, but it was definately there. I will definately be bythis this movie. Expand
  67. EmmieW.
    Jun 27, 2005
    Seriously, I can't put into words how much I love this movie. To me I think that it is unfair that people compare it to the stage version. Some of us have not seen it on stage like most already have so we don't have anything to compare it to. To me the movie was perfect. There is a big fat orchestra in the film that you obviously can't experience when seeing it on stage so Seriously, I can't put into words how much I love this movie. To me I think that it is unfair that people compare it to the stage version. Some of us have not seen it on stage like most already have so we don't have anything to compare it to. To me the movie was perfect. There is a big fat orchestra in the film that you obviously can't experience when seeing it on stage so that is an advantage as the music will be more powerful - and it was by all means. I am 16 years old and this is one of my favourite movies onf all time, along with films such as crouching tiger hidden dragon and the terminator films. For people who state that they did not like the film, they sure do go on about it, why waste your time rating the film when you did not like it?!!!! Beats me!!! Anywho what i want to kow is what is everyone's favourite song(s) in the movie? mine would have to be masquerade, think of me, angel of music and music of the night!!! Expand
  68. CeciliaG.
    Jun 5, 2005
    Beside I'm already a ALW fan, the artists of this movie, the choreography, the image, everything is absolutly fantastic. My congratulations to all the team.
  69. ToniB.
    Jun 7, 2005
    Oh my gosh! The Phantom of the Opera movie has to be one of the most spectacular things ever! Having grown up with musicals in particular The Phantom, i was a tad sceptical about this movie and wondered if the cast could do the songs justice. Let me tell you, this movie blew me away, not only is Gerard Butler beautiful, his voice brought something to the film that not even Michael Boulton Oh my gosh! The Phantom of the Opera movie has to be one of the most spectacular things ever! Having grown up with musicals in particular The Phantom, i was a tad sceptical about this movie and wondered if the cast could do the songs justice. Let me tell you, this movie blew me away, not only is Gerard Butler beautiful, his voice brought something to the film that not even Michael Boulton would have been able to, Gerards voice was sensual and made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, you could feel the Phantoms passion for music, pain and loneliness. My favourite song has always been The Point Of No Return so was intregued as to how the cast would do the song, it was great! Emmy Rossum has a fantastic voice for such a young girl,as a soprano singer myself i appreiciate how hard some of the really high notes are to reach, Emmy does this without any effort if she wasnt so good i would hate her! I doubt there will ever be another film adaptation which will be up to the same standards as this! Absolutly Brilliant! Expand
  70. melissam
    Jul 20, 2005
    Those of immature status will rate this movie of little value, but those of us who have lived life, felt the passion. Breathtaking, atonishing, these words can not express enough how the movie captivates its ordience into placing ones self, mind, spirit, ones soul into longing you are there, believing every moment to be true, it is every womans desire to be loved the way the phantom loves Those of immature status will rate this movie of little value, but those of us who have lived life, felt the passion. Breathtaking, atonishing, these words can not express enough how the movie captivates its ordience into placing ones self, mind, spirit, ones soul into longing you are there, believing every moment to be true, it is every womans desire to be loved the way the phantom loves christine, Gerald Butler and Emmy Rossum have shown the world what true acting is to be, for you can feel the intense love between characters, a mature, forbidden love to be desired, simply perfect, this movie must be written down in history as one of the worlds greatest movies ever breathed. My hat goes off to every person who participated in bringing this beautiful love story to life, even though in the end her life is given to another whose love with him is of innocence but you can feel her heart warm as it lays forbidden in another mans hands. Well done Joel Schumacher and Andrew Lloyd Webber, for all eyes can see how brilliant and gifted both you gentlemen are. Expand
  71. rachels
    Jul 29, 2005
    Though we all have our own oppinions towards the movie, i thought it was wonderful. Those who gave it zeros shocked me. Seeing the movie put me at awe and completely changed my perspective and taste. When i was first asked if i would like to see it in theaters I objected. However later when i watched it in my own home i was drawn in. Gerard Butler did a marvelous job as the phantom. Though we all have our own oppinions towards the movie, i thought it was wonderful. Those who gave it zeros shocked me. Seeing the movie put me at awe and completely changed my perspective and taste. When i was first asked if i would like to see it in theaters I objected. However later when i watched it in my own home i was drawn in. Gerard Butler did a marvelous job as the phantom. Though many of the people that gave this movie a 0 said Gerards voice was horrible, i find it to be beautiful, magnetising, and hynotising, the way it should be. It makes you fall in love with the phantom and show true pity and compassion for the tortured soul inside. As for Emmy Rossum playing Christine, I thought she did excellent as well. I was slightly dissapointed in Rauol. His voice quality lacked what Gerads and Emmy's had, but he still fit the role. Overall I thought the movie was superb and kept me watching, as it changed my taste in movie forever. Well done Andrew Lloyd Webber. Expand
  72. AlisonM.
    Jul 31, 2005
    I am in abject disapproval of all those people who call the singing terrible and that there is a lack of passion. A few reviews (and comments on this site) have called the casting of Gerald Butler terrible. I must say that I disagree. It is true, he does have some trouble with some of the notes which are a bit out of his range - but other than that his performance was sublime. I wuold I am in abject disapproval of all those people who call the singing terrible and that there is a lack of passion. A few reviews (and comments on this site) have called the casting of Gerald Butler terrible. I must say that I disagree. It is true, he does have some trouble with some of the notes which are a bit out of his range - but other than that his performance was sublime. I wuold like to remind some critics that Butler is in fact Scottish - so those who say he 'talked' his way through are missing something. In comparison with the original Crawford - I believe he played it better, I'll admit, Crawford's voice was essentially better, but he was middle aged - and I think that it is a very young movie - there is an innocence, and not the wisdom of middleage. So Butler was a better cast for the movie. Raoul and Christine (Patrick Wilson and Emmy Rossum) did stuggle on the occasional note, but I can think of a grand total of 3 notes between the two of them that weren't sung beautifully. People have complained that Rossum's voice was incompatible with her role, and that it didn't sound like a rising soprano. Rossum's voice, I believe, outshines Sarah Brightman, not necessarily for range, but for the tonal colour. Rossum has a very pure voice, unlike Brightman who has the wavering vibrato. I think the pure is more correct for the character of Christine - she is portrayed as a very innocent character. Raoul - I have nothing to say, he was there for the looks, and he certainly had that, and he was very good at being a swashbuckling romantic. Minnie Driver - played Carlotta very well, gave a very good portrayal of the up-herself diva. Her singing of Learn to Be Lonely at the end was quite beautiful, and the opera singer who did her singing in the movie was very effective as a terrible singer. I don't see why there has been so much complaint about the lipsynching. Of course, there were moments when it was less than perfect, but you can't get absolutely everything right. I have a relation who saw the broadway before the movie, and she prefers the broadway over the movie, but I saw the broadway after the movie - so I will have to suggest that our first view is always the one we compare to - which means anything different is regarded abhorrently. On that note, people who regard the broadway over the movie will have to remember that what works in a musical probably work in a movie - for example, the Phantom throwing the fireballs. That is very impressive on stage, as you know it is real, but in a movie people will just shrug it off as special effects. Thus the Phantom had to be a more realistic character, not magical. Still mysterious, just not magical. AS for the music, I must say I am a huge Lloyd Weber fan - for most of his music - so to me the music could not have been any better - but each to his/her own. Some people may not enjoy the combination of opera with more modern sounds. People who say the movie is based around one chart topper are wrong, I just have to plainly disagree. My favourite out of all the songs was the Point of No Return - not the "#1 hit" Phantom of the Opera. I also have friends who have different favourites. Again, each to their own. Masquerade - the costumes matched the atmosphere and the Opera House, but not the words to the songs, so that's a bit ~ but all the same, very impressive spectacle. And people who say the movie lacks passion - the movie is about passion, for God's sake! Many people are drawn into that intensity of emotion - some longing for it, or revelling that they have it, whatever. As Melissa M said, I quote, "it is every womans desire to be loved the way the phantom loves christine" and this is just a part of it. It is an intensely romantic movie - to the very finish. I must say, my one major criticism is that they changed the ending - I prefered the ending in the play. The ending was just good enough to get through. And though people have complained about the acting, I think that it was quite good - other than that the dancing was very good. I will have to point out that this movie is suitable for a particular type of person - albeit a wide type - but if you are not in that group then you will find the movie absolutely terrible. Like reading a romance book when you are a hardcore action fan. I respect other people's right to their own opinions, but I will have to disagree with some of them Phantom of the Opera - fantastic movie - wish there were more fantastic songs that I could learn the lyrics to. Expand
  73. LauraC.
    Jul 8, 2005
    I was skeptical about the music at first, but when I actually saw the movie, I lost all thought about anything else. I have listened to the Original London Cast's version since I was 3 (10 years now) and I can tell that this Phantom is worth a Phans upmost attention and appraisal,but the voices lacked the strength I was expecting. I have to say that Emmy was a little bit to innocent I was skeptical about the music at first, but when I actually saw the movie, I lost all thought about anything else. I have listened to the Original London Cast's version since I was 3 (10 years now) and I can tell that this Phantom is worth a Phans upmost attention and appraisal,but the voices lacked the strength I was expecting. I have to say that Emmy was a little bit to innocent and childish for the part but she didnt have the ditzy ordeal that Brightman did. All in all I'd say it has a few flaws but its to be expected. Expand
  74. kristin
    Jul 9, 2005
    I think that this was the best film ever made! every one who says that its bad must have their eyes tested. i know that every one is intitled to there own oppinion but some of the things said were just harsh! i think all the characters did AMAZINGLY well. Any one who loves preforming themselves would know what an tear jearking, heard racing breath of fresh air this movie was. It inspires I think that this was the best film ever made! every one who says that its bad must have their eyes tested. i know that every one is intitled to there own oppinion but some of the things said were just harsh! i think all the characters did AMAZINGLY well. Any one who loves preforming themselves would know what an tear jearking, heard racing breath of fresh air this movie was. It inspires people to believe. to believe in themselves, to follow your dreams, to believe that nothings what it seems and to believe in love. overall an amazing film and i would recomend it to anyone who dreams and lives the stage and the preforming arts. Expand
  75. regularjoe
    Aug 4, 2005
    I really enjoyed the movie!!! I think most of the things some criticised on this site are things that appeal to me as an average joe. Some criticised the singing, in my oppinion it takes more ability to have a bit of break in the right spots in one's vocal( makes emotion more believable than the textbook voice used by many), and if the Phantom really looked like Herman Monster how I really enjoyed the movie!!! I think most of the things some criticised on this site are things that appeal to me as an average joe. Some criticised the singing, in my oppinion it takes more ability to have a bit of break in the right spots in one's vocal( makes emotion more believable than the textbook voice used by many), and if the Phantom really looked like Herman Monster how could we the audience believe she might fall in love with him given his other creepy attributes? What do I know? Expand
  76. Anya
    Sep 13, 2005
    Great. Love it.
  77. JennieV.
    Feb 9, 2006
    Be as it may be, the book, the play, the movie, any rendition of this WONDERFUL story must be taken for what it is and who is conveying it. You can't compare and contrast everything or you'll never get the full aspect and wonder of this tale. I've read the book, seen the play, have the play on CD, and now finally have seen the movie. I am now officially obscessed; with each Be as it may be, the book, the play, the movie, any rendition of this WONDERFUL story must be taken for what it is and who is conveying it. You can't compare and contrast everything or you'll never get the full aspect and wonder of this tale. I've read the book, seen the play, have the play on CD, and now finally have seen the movie. I am now officially obscessed; with each unique version. This has been my favorite story FOREVER and it will continute to be....and just 2 words...Gerard Butler...wow-wee-oo-wow!! And the other actors are tremendous! I cry my eyes out EVERY time. I always feel so bad for the Phantom.....he just wanted to be loved...I hope this story contunues on in the future as long as it already has and I feel honored to have been able to see every aspect of others ideas. Expand
  78. CathyM.
    Apr 20, 2006
    Maybe It's just because I'm drawn to men of Celtic descent but Gerard Butler has so much talent and it appears a dedication to craft and a charisma that doesn't stop. I liked it so much I bought the DVD. everytime I view it I see or hear something that I missed previously. I didn't even know who the cast was or had heard of them untill this film. Can hardly wait to see Maybe It's just because I'm drawn to men of Celtic descent but Gerard Butler has so much talent and it appears a dedication to craft and a charisma that doesn't stop. I liked it so much I bought the DVD. everytime I view it I see or hear something that I missed previously. I didn't even know who the cast was or had heard of them untill this film. Can hardly wait to see imparticular some more Butler films. He's almost knocked my favorite Scot off his throne. Of course, that is Sean Connery. Yes there were a few scene errors I saw myself, but that just added to this films' charm. I will play this film over and over again untill the DVD won't play anylonger and then I'll purchase another! Congratulations to the whole cast and crew for bringing this to life. Expand
  79. GordonG
    Dec 21, 2004
    I've seen Phantom on stage twice, and really looked forward to the movie version. I get rather fed up with all these professional movie critics who seem totally unable to just go to a movie and enjoy themselves - some of the criticisms posted so far have been so far wide of the mark that you have to wonder if the people who wrote them have any idea of what Lloyd Webber's version I've seen Phantom on stage twice, and really looked forward to the movie version. I get rather fed up with all these professional movie critics who seem totally unable to just go to a movie and enjoy themselves - some of the criticisms posted so far have been so far wide of the mark that you have to wonder if the people who wrote them have any idea of what Lloyd Webber's version of the Phantom looks like on stage. This isn't supposed to be the Lon Chaney version of Phantom, guys - it's the ALW fully overblown stage spectacular, so OF COURSE it's going to look like the play! My one major problem with it was that I had hoped they would give the lead role to the Phantom himself, Michael Crawford. But of course, he's getting a bit old now. For me, there will only ever be one Phantom, even though I've only seen Ethan Freeman and Robin Guest play the role on stage. I enjoyed it, my wife enjoyed it and my 5 and 9 year old nephews enjoyed it. So did my dad, who is 87... Expand
  80. hughiew
    Dec 20, 2004
    Gorgeous! Who cares if all the songs are awful? Emmy Rossum is amazing!
  81. BobE.
    Dec 23, 2004
    A magnificent production. Critics seem to have another agenda with the outrageous "reception" it has received. Emmy Rossum and Gerard Butler are wonderful. This will eventually be appreciated far more than it may be now for some!
  82. SamJ.
    Dec 23, 2004
    This is a visually sumptous, sensory experience, and as it progresses it becomes more wildly romantic. Emmy Rossum is a revelation, Gerard Butler does impressive work, and Patrick Wilson sings well as is appropriately bland. Jealous of Webber, and preordained nastiness from critics are attempting to undermine the high quality of the film and of Joel Schumacher's impressive direction. This is a visually sumptous, sensory experience, and as it progresses it becomes more wildly romantic. Emmy Rossum is a revelation, Gerard Butler does impressive work, and Patrick Wilson sings well as is appropriately bland. Jealous of Webber, and preordained nastiness from critics are attempting to undermine the high quality of the film and of Joel Schumacher's impressive direction. But I am confident the public will respond! Expand
  83. JackP.
    Dec 24, 2004
    One great song after another; a sumptuous visual treat for the eyes (and in fact for all the sense) Emmy Rossum is a real star!
  84. JaniceK.
    Dec 24, 2004
    This is a beautiful and romantic movie, that had sensational music. The lead performers are awesome!
  85. SteveR.
    Dec 24, 2004
    Absolutely spectacular! The film's visuals are wedded to superb orchestration and the divine presence of Emmy Rossum, who deserved an Academy Award nomination. A stupendous entertainment!
  86. AlfredD.
    A lavish spectacle!
  87. JamesM.
    Dec 24, 2004
    I actually liked this even more than the Broadway show! The use of close-ups helped the emotional side, and the sets were really incredible. Rossum, Butler and Wilson are top-rank!
  88. JackM.
    A++++++++++++++
  89. JamesB.
    Dec 24, 2004
    There is little that dosen't work in this lustrous musical property. The cast is radiant, the sets are ravishing, and the music, well......we've known that one for years. Top-notch.
  90. JoanB.
    Dec 24, 2004
    The Phantom of the Opera is even better than Chicago. Ignore what some of the critics are saying. Schumacher does a beautiful job coordinating the production and the voices are stellar! A gorgeous spectacle!
  91. GeorgeC.
    Dec 24, 2004
    How it is possible to give this masterpiece a negative review? There's seems to be a different agenda. This is as ravishingly beautiful as the stage play, and oh,..........that Emmy Rossum!
  92. GaryS.
    Dec 24, 2004
    What were the detractors expecting? It's just about as good as a film musical can be.
  93. JohnF.
    Dec 25, 2004
    The stage play has actually been improved upon with the incredibly delicious film. The performers, the sets and nearly everything else is perfect.
  94. FrankA.
    Dec 25, 2004
    A spectacular entertainment. The film is filled with eye-popping images that work for this kind of overblown but irresistable material. The real standout is Emmy Rossum as Christine Daae. But nearly everything works here!
  95. BillJ.
    Dec 26, 2004
    I enjoyed the movie. As a romantic fantasy, it had color, glamour, beautiful costumes, a nice set and score. I'd say it was visually stunning. I had never seen any of the other Phantom's, so can't judge against them but I do have the soundtrack from the play. While the Phantom was played well by Gerard Butler, I don't think his voice was up to the job. OTOH, Emmy I enjoyed the movie. As a romantic fantasy, it had color, glamour, beautiful costumes, a nice set and score. I'd say it was visually stunning. I had never seen any of the other Phantom's, so can't judge against them but I do have the soundtrack from the play. While the Phantom was played well by Gerard Butler, I don't think his voice was up to the job. OTOH, Emmy Rossum's voice was terrific, though it needs maturing and she was too young for the part. Patrick Wilson was too much the wimp but he got his girl. The back story wasn't exactly clear. I wondered throughout the movie who the old lady was who was bidding for the monkey piece against the old man and who he looked at longingly in the mirror as he drove away. Expand
  96. Ray
    Dec 26, 2004
    This is the play, with the production benefits of reshooting, different camera angles, camera effects. Christine was amazing, but the Phantom's voice could have been less rough and coarse at times. I would see it again in the theaters, and buy the DVD.
  97. MarianneS
    Dec 27, 2004
    Stunning movie. Critics always have to make themselves sound so intellectual. What's wrong with sitting down and watching a beautiful movie??
  98. SamanthaV.
    Dec 27, 2004
    The Phantom is one of my all time favorite musical. Every time I saw it and every time I hear the music I cry and I certainlty did at the movie. I LOVED THIS MOVIE!!! There was not one bad thing about it. The cast, the sets, the music... it was all perfect. I dislike the critics who hated this wonderful film. They should not be critics for giving it such a bad review. They wouldn't The Phantom is one of my all time favorite musical. Every time I saw it and every time I hear the music I cry and I certainlty did at the movie. I LOVED THIS MOVIE!!! There was not one bad thing about it. The cast, the sets, the music... it was all perfect. I dislike the critics who hated this wonderful film. They should not be critics for giving it such a bad review. They wouldn't know a good movie if it hit them in the face. I think everyone should go out and experience this wonderful film. Expand
  99. JohnM.
    Dec 30, 2004
    Rossum makes this movie a masterpiece! Bravo Joel Schmacher!
  100. WillM.
    Jan 11, 2005
    Hasn't it been worth the wait? I think it has! This is my new favorite musical movie (of all time I might add) and I am glad it's doing exceptionally well but can't everyone cut it some slack? Trust me, this movie is NOT going to stop the stage show, ever!

1. Reviewed by: Jo Berry
    The end result, although entertaining and well-crafted, certainly isn't on the same breathtaking scale of, say, Alan Parker's epic "Evita."
  2. What the film most damagingly lacks though is a sense of mystery and danger.
    Watching the passionless Phantom, with its geriatric story-framing device, gooey dimestore romanticism and tawdry pop ballads about unrequited yearning, feels akin to dying and waking up in your parents’ easy-listening-radio hell.