Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: December 25, 1997
6.7
Generally favorable reviews based on 50 Ratings
Watch Now
PatC.Jun 30, 2006
A riveting epic ranking right up there with Heavens Gate.
1 of 1 users found this helpful
gdonaldsonFeb 7, 2012
What a great performance and story line. This is without a doubt one of my top 5 films. The storyline for me had me at every turn. Costner was certainly given the raw end of the pro critics but I've made a few films and appeared and it wasWhat a great performance and story line. This is without a doubt one of my top 5 films. The storyline for me had me at every turn. Costner was certainly given the raw end of the pro critics but I've made a few films and appeared and it was just brilliant Expand
jake38Feb 5, 2014
this was an absolute disaster. the movie was in no way anything like the book adding characters and scenes that werent even remotely anything like the book. why does Hollywood have to ruin everything
wobblesJul 21, 2013
While slightly longer than needed this was a good movie that was over trashed by critics. Was it completely realistic? No. Neither is any high dollar Batman movie ever made. That's why they call them movies.

If you don't allow yourself

If you don't allow yourself to be told what to like by profession critics try it. You might find yourself pleasantly surprised.
DukeJonMar 4, 2015
An underrated gem. An exciting story, strong performances throughout and a touching insight into the flaws and hopes of human nature. Given the almost universal trashing this film received from the critics I can only imagine that hollywoodAn underrated gem. An exciting story, strong performances throughout and a touching insight into the flaws and hopes of human nature. Given the almost universal trashing this film received from the critics I can only imagine that hollywood felt it was time to take Kevin Costner down a peg or two. Expand
FilipeNetoApr 25, 2018
This film takes place in 2013, at a time when the World was destroyed by the Third World War. Communities have become isolated, there is no government, United States seems to have disappeared and armed militias on horseback are oppressing theThis film takes place in 2013, at a time when the World was destroyed by the Third World War. Communities have become isolated, there is no government, United States seems to have disappeared and armed militias on horseback are oppressing the people. However, a man will change that when, somewhat accidentally, it triggers a movement of resistance to oppression.

The center of all history is the way a man, with no name but who is nicknamed "Shakespeare" due to his survival as an artist and itinerant declamer, ends up giving rise to a movement of resistance to a strong and fierce armed militia, when he disguises himself as a postman to be able to receive help from the people, averse to the visit of strangers. He comes to be seen as a symbol of hope when he lies, assuming himself as a representative of a Restored Government, which does not even know whether it exists or not.

The central idea is great, and the film is interesting by the ideas it presents and by the good work of the leading actors, Kevin Costner and Will Patton. The two actors worked well and their characters are very interesting. Costner gave life to a hero by chance, full of internal conflicts and a complex psychology that he managed to explore; Patton was an insensitive and bloodthirsty villain, cultured but cruel. The sub-plot created between the Postman and Abby turns out little and does not seem very happy by the way she quickly forgets her husband. But worse are the three hours lenght, which are not justified by the plot and denounce a bad post-production and editing work. There's a lot left in this movie and lots of details that don't matter and should have been taken off. Another problem is the time when everything is happening: the year 2013. Okay, the movie was shot in 1997, but we're in 2018 today, and it seems silly that they thought of a future so near as something so apocalyptic. The film should have been thought for 2113, not 2013.

Despite all the flaws, the film is interesting and tells a good story of freedom, resistance to oppression and tyranny, survival and companionship. Despite the long lenght, it entertains who has not watched it, but its not worth more than two or three views.