5.1

1. StephenS.
    Nov 5, 2006
    I think you have to give this one an extra point for its levels of risk and honesty, so a 6 rather than a 5. Debutant director Duplass takes many chances with the audience, some of whom may have fits of ennui at the one hour mark. There isn
  2. SheilaW.
    Jul 2, 2006
    This was my favorite movie at the Sundance Film Festival. It was "unforced funny". A bit like we were on the road trip with them.
  3. NealM.
    Jul 22, 2006
    Real characters, real humor, and real emotion, regardless how trivial or silly it may seem. I liked watching these people. Good stuff.
  4. NedJ.
    Jul 25, 2006
    I'm with The Conundrum 100%. Let's hope this isn't what's in store for us as the millions of talentless wanna-bees pour out of the "film schools" springing up in every corner of the land.
  5. TracyB.
    Jul 9, 2006
    Great film- the story was told in manner that I have never seen on film, but many of us know. It is amazing what can be created on such a small budget- bravo! The cast was very believable. I look forward to their next film.
  6. DanS.
    Jan 7, 2007
    Haven't seen this since Sundance '05, but I remember liking it and finding it humorous.
  7. Stephen
    Feb 9, 2007
    Really...ah...not good. I mean nothing is all that compelling and unless you really, really care about spoiled white twentysomething wanna-be hipsters...then I wouldn't bother. The script does have some good dialog but it is overwritten and feels like a first draft. Kathryn Aselton turns in a nice performance. If art is life with the boring parts taken out, this film is true to life.
  8. CaitlinM.
    Jun 28, 2006
    way better than i expected. funny, yet subtle. its exploration of relationship(s) was not new, but the approach felt refreshingly honest. i highly recommend.
  9. TheConundrum
    Jul 10, 2006
    Although this film showed some potential talent, it suffered from two problems. First, the camera work is so god-awful that it made me physically ill. It's not just the usual shaky hand-held camera that we've come to expect lately -- oh no, much worse. Whoever was operating the camera had a compulsive need to zoom in and out every 20 seconds, and jerkily zoom in, too. There was Although this film showed some potential talent, it suffered from two problems. First, the camera work is so god-awful that it made me physically ill. It's not just the usual shaky hand-held camera that we've come to expect lately -- oh no, much worse. Whoever was operating the camera had a compulsive need to zoom in and out every 20 seconds, and jerkily zoom in, too. There was no reason for it, and it was a major distraction. Worse, they would very visibly refocus the picture just as often, which left me with a pounding headache and faint nausea by the end of the movie. This would have ruined the movie for me regardless of the content. Second, the movie just dragged in many places. Instead of a plot, it had a series of loosely connected vignettes. It was not, as some reviewers claim, hilariously funny, it was only occasionally mildly funny. On the positive side, the characters were clever, and well acted. But they were ultimately unlikable people, and the plot was pointless. The premise of the movie could have been funny, but in the end you are stuck with sleazy people in a deadend situation. I'll give the filmmakers a second chance, but I'd skip this in the meantime. You want to support budding auteurs? Go see "Brick". Expand
  10. DickW.
    Jul 3, 2006
    Inane characters, utterly stupid dialog (rigjt, dode?), trivial pursuits, Seinfiield without interesting characters or humor.
  11. JohnC.
    Aug 26, 2006
    The worst movie I have seen this year. The characters are totally unlikeable miscreants. The movie is neither romantic nor a comedy. It is boring and generally unappealing.
  12. Eloquence
    Sep 15, 2006
    smug. pretentious. nausea-inducing.
  13. GregoryH.
    Feb 12, 2007
    A pure waste of time. Tale of two brothers who we could really care less about. Irrational behavior guides it. A very dumb movie in every sense of the word. Does nothing to improve inter-generational understanding. These Gen-Y-ers were about as shallow as they come. This film was even worse than watching reality TV.
  14. DannyG.
    Jun 17, 2007
    For two brothers to create a movie on a shoestring budget that is this entertaining...they have succeeded in every way. This movie has more life and emotion than most of the sh!t that is churned out on a weekly basis in the mainstream theaters. We can relate to these characters and their struggles, both with each other and with themselves. The soundtrack is interesting and complements the For two brothers to create a movie on a shoestring budget that is this entertaining...they have succeeded in every way. This movie has more life and emotion than most of the sh!t that is churned out on a weekly basis in the mainstream theaters. We can relate to these characters and their struggles, both with each other and with themselves. The soundtrack is interesting and complements the movie well. Overall a standout in a sea of films that attempt to speak the struggles of 20 something in the 2000s. Expand
  15. WalterS.
    Oct 18, 2006
    There are some wonderful sequences here - particularly the scene at the motel and the travesty of the wedding. The acting is superb. You'll see more life in these characters than in 95% of the movies coming out of Hollywood. Kathryn Aselton's first-rate performance is the stand-out. The movie was incomplete though. Was it heavily edited? Too rushed and ultimately left me There are some wonderful sequences here - particularly the scene at the motel and the travesty of the wedding. The acting is superb. You'll see more life in these characters than in 95% of the movies coming out of Hollywood. Kathryn Aselton's first-rate performance is the stand-out. The movie was incomplete though. Was it heavily edited? Too rushed and ultimately left me unsatisfied. Certainly worth seeing if you are a fan of this "genre" (if you can call it that). Expand

1. The movie may not amount to much, but the genial tone and exceptionally good performances from the three leads make for a winning debut by the Duplass brothers.
  2. Reviewed by: Don R. Lewis
    The scenes feel real and both Duplass and Aselton do a great job duking it out. The Puffy Chair combines great original comedy and solid acting to make a fun movie.
    A charming, if limited, romantic comedy that examines post-collegiate angst with easy, unself-conscious humor.