5.2

1. Dec 13, 2014
    A beautifully original concept created terrifying potential here. However it's potential that's misused using age old jumpy scares. The scenario sets the stage brightly, but by the end, the stage is left overshadowed with disappointment. The hype surrounding The Purge obviously got out of hand, as it is a mildly entertaining thriller and little more. A sequel was inevitable given it'sA beautifully original concept created terrifying potential here. However it's potential that's misused using age old jumpy scares. The scenario sets the stage brightly, but by the end, the stage is left overshadowed with disappointment. The hype surrounding The Purge obviously got out of hand, as it is a mildly entertaining thriller and little more. A sequel was inevitable given it's financial performance. It should have been better though. Expand
  2. Nov 23, 2014
    The Purge es sin duda una película que es interesante y que llama la atención por su intrigante sipnosis, y en mi opinión, debió tener mejores críticas de las que tiene por parte del público y crítica.
  3. Nov 22, 2014
    The Purge was pretty stupid. The acting was terrible, the story was good but it had added satisfactory. There were quite the few plot holes, and the lines...Jesus Christ, man!
  4. Nov 19, 2014
    HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE. The movie plot and story is not well thought and very bad. COMPLETELY predictable it leaves nothing to surprise there is just no point. I feel like taking a lesson from southpark and going to the directors and getting paid for watching this movie.
  5. Nov 13, 2014
    "The Purge" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Mediocre) ...

The Good: Not a bad idea and halfway through I was genuinely interested in the outcome. Though the execution was ultimately lacking, it was a nice setup. The Bad: It pretty much degenerates into the same cliche movie we have all seen a hundred times before. When the bad guys finally get in (come on, you knew they would!), it should be a
    "The Purge" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Mediocre) ...

The Bad: It pretty much degenerates into the same cliche movie we have all seen a hundred times before. When the bad guys finally get in (come on, you knew they would!), it should be a suspenseful and chilling moment. Instead, it becomes a boring shoot 'em up. How many times can you see the "good guy" on the ground with a villain standing over them when suddenly, from somewhere off screen, shots ring out saving the day? It happens with mind numbing consistency in this film. Ethan Hawke's character was also not even remotely likeable and you find yourself rooting against him for most of the movie.
  6. Oct 24, 2014
    this movie is very gory and original it is an amazing movie with a interesting concept it is a great thriller and has you hanging on the edge of your seat its not scary but its a thrill ride to remember
  7. Sep 8, 2014
    A very cool concept that was not executed well at all. This movie could have been really good but was not set up well and was not interesting at all. I was looking forward to seeing this one even though I have heard a lot of bad things about it, and I was very disappointed with it. Very boring with not very good acting makes this a very poor movie.
  8. Sep 7, 2014
    When we were looking for horror movie to see, I proposed this film, and they thanked me for it. When violence becomes normal after a year, stress is you shoot a heart attack every hour, and there are 12; literally. With a history that shows the brutality of the human being and a family that catches you in its most real's wishes live.

Another highly recommended movie.
  9. Sep 7, 2014
    One of the worst movie i've seen. Bad acting and character does not know the difference between right and wrong, putting stranger's life before all of their member.Only Ethan Hawk makes the right decision.
  10. Sep 2, 2014
    While it has an intriguing premise, and it's an overall suspenseful and enjoyable movie, "The Purge" is loaded with plot holes, inconsistencies, bad acting, shaky cam, and stupid characters. If you can look past all its flaws, I would recommend it.
  11. Aug 25, 2014
    I give this movie a 4 only because of the originality and so it's sort of worth watching, other than that it's terrible anyone saying otherwise was clearly high while watching. The film has SO many cliche and stupid moments that leave you face palming so hard. I predicted almost every single moment in this film because of how unoriginal it was. To leave spoilers to a minimum let's just sayI give this movie a 4 only because of the originality and so it's sort of worth watching, other than that it's terrible anyone saying otherwise was clearly high while watching. The film has SO many cliche and stupid moments that leave you face palming so hard. I predicted almost every single moment in this film because of how unoriginal it was. To leave spoilers to a minimum let's just say that the characters have a decision where it's either this happens or this and this happens and even though this occurs in both scenarios the characters still have a hard time deciding what to do. And 1 character who keeps screwing everything up and just being an annoyance. When the credits rolled I felt that this amazing idea had just been ruined entirely because they either couldn't think of anything better or because they were plain lazy. Also you could mistake this movie for ANY other movie as it has NOTHING to do with the purge, the only resemblance it has is the beginning and end. I hope anarchy proves better than this... Expand
  12. Aug 13, 2014
    This was quite possibly one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It wasn't even so bad it was funny. It was just flat out aggravatingly terrible. The premise was interesting, but that's all I can really say good about this movie. The entire reason the events of the movie took place was because of the fact the father left access to the security system out in the open where anyone in theThis was quite possibly one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It wasn't even so bad it was funny. It was just flat out aggravatingly terrible. The premise was interesting, but that's all I can really say good about this movie. The entire reason the events of the movie took place was because of the fact the father left access to the security system out in the open where anyone in the house could access it, and everyone in the family knew the code. It only gets worse from there, as the family had multiple chances to prevent things from escalating further, but made the dumbest decisions every time. One of the most unforgivable parts was when they were finally ready to solve the issue, and then the female characters who were otherwise fine with solving it suddenly broke down and said they shouldn't go through with it because it would make them terrible people. This is in spite of the fact they were being threatened with their lives by the very man who they were suddenly not so sure about handing over. And just then, they decided not to hand the guy over after all and instead face all the purgers outside instead. Not to mention finally in the end not all of the purgers were killed after the purge period ended, and considering all the damage the family did to them, those purgers will just be back again the next time but infinitely less merciful. And all because the family decided to show them mercy. They are quite possibly the dumbest family in existence and the plot was one of the most legitimately aggravating things I've ever experienced. Please, if you were considering watching this, reconsider. Expand
  13. Aug 1, 2014
    The background isn't credible for adult viewers. Anarchy and fear, even contemporary, can't boost economic growth, nor would criminals choose mostly poor targets under these circumstances. Indeed, the director seems to only try to present the wealthier people as violent and unsympathetic villains and poor and young people as more competent individuals. This kind of plot is all butThe background isn't credible for adult viewers. Anarchy and fear, even contemporary, can't boost economic growth, nor would criminals choose mostly poor targets under these circumstances. Indeed, the director seems to only try to present the wealthier people as violent and unsympathetic villains and poor and young people as more competent individuals. This kind of plot is all but original.

Acting and surroundings weren't that bad, but one could easily predict which characters were to survive (i.e. every female). Furthermore, extra minus one point for including a horny boy friend just to get killed. Respective cliche is just too common...
  14. Jul 28, 2014
    It's a pity such an interesting idea was wasted on making a home-invasion horror flick. The genre is not the problem, though. It's how its creator decides to present his film. He wants a profitable horror film that follows cliches and aims at horror film audiences alone. He wants nothing more than violence and scare jumps. It is a pity this premise is not exploited at all. It feels likeIt's a pity such an interesting idea was wasted on making a home-invasion horror flick. The genre is not the problem, though. It's how its creator decides to present his film. He wants a profitable horror film that follows cliches and aims at horror film audiences alone. He wants nothing more than violence and scare jumps. It is a pity this premise is not exploited at all. It feels like every single remark on social issues is a matter of luck. A great disappointment when you have been captivated by Universal's intriguing marketing campaign, but shows potential that can be fulfilled in sequel films. Expand
  15. Jul 25, 2014
    Gets one point for having a plot. The Purge is full of contradictions and horrendous moments that involve much stupidity that cannot be taken seriously. The film isn't scary, neither is it enjoyable...do not purchase this film, find some other way to watch it, such as cable or streaming. How a sequel was planned and eventually released boggles my mind.
  16. Jul 23, 2014
    I cannot believe how disappointing this movie was, I was hoping for a tense horror flick with an interesting premise. It wasn't, it was just one jump scare after another and they were all extremely predictable and cheap. By the 4th jump scare I knew it was coming so I took off my headphones and waited 3 seconds and it came. All the horror movie cliches are there and the victims areI cannot believe how disappointing this movie was, I was hoping for a tense horror flick with an interesting premise. It wasn't, it was just one jump scare after another and they were all extremely predictable and cheap. By the 4th jump scare I knew it was coming so I took off my headphones and waited 3 seconds and it came. All the horror movie cliches are there and the victims are incredibly stupid. Stay away from this one and hope that the sequel is better. Although the idea of The Purge is cool the movie itself falls flat on its face.

P.S. The villain in the movie was boring and the ending 'twist' makes no sense and is just there for some more cheap scares.
  17. Jul 19, 2014
    'The Purge' is definitely one of those movies I went in with way to much anticipation and excitement. Even though the idea was one of my favorite plot ideas in a while, I can’t get over the fact that it was set up to be this crazy and malicious crime spree night, but turned out to be like any other murder movie where the bad guy(s) come, the killing starts, and then the movie is over. In'The Purge' is definitely one of those movies I went in with way to much anticipation and excitement. Even though the idea was one of my favorite plot ideas in a while, I can’t get over the fact that it was set up to be this crazy and malicious crime spree night, but turned out to be like any other murder movie where the bad guy(s) come, the killing starts, and then the movie is over. In the movie world today, when I here a movie is coming up that has to do with a 12 hour period where all crime (including murder) is legal with no cops or hospitals, I expect it to be freaking awesome, wouldn’t you? Expand
  18. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    The Purge was pretty good, considering horror movies these days are just boring because most of them just follow the style of Paranormal Activity after it came out, but this wasn't like Paranormal Activity at all. The Purge is original, and you'll actually jump at points.
  19. Jul 15, 2014
    Imagine a world where crime is basically non-existent and almost everyone has a job and is doing well. Imagine this utopia is in the US in the year 2022. Thanks to a night held once a year called The Purge, this is all somehow possible. Any crime is legal for a night every year until morning comes. That is the basic setting for the movie.
    I‘ll cut to the chase. It’s supposed to be a
    I‘ll cut to the chase. It’s supposed to be a horror sci-fi thriller but it fits none of the two supposed genres. It’s a short film (85 minutes) and the first roughly thirty consist of a wealthy Ethan Hawke and his family gearing up for the night. Other events complicate the family’s safety, and finally there are a few actually decent action scenes about an hour into the film and lead to a predictable yet tasteless ending.
    The main villain is a young fella who is the leader of a group of college-aged kids taking part in The Purge (because c’mon, who doesn’t want to kill somebody?) and his acting job is creepily sinister and ends up giving you an overall solid job of being the bad guy. Otherwise, if you come expecting a scary, thrilling, and violent movie, you get none of the first two adjectives and a little bit of the third.
    I will have to say that the idea the movie presents is spectacular. It could be turned into an awesome futuristic film if taken seriously and turned into something serious (maybe down the lines of Looper, Cloud Atlas, etc.) so I’ll give writer-director James DeMonaco that.
  20. Jul 12, 2014
    This movie is far better than what it has scored from user reviews. Then again all reviews are just opinions even from critics so don't take my word for it. Purge 2 is coming out soon so get spun up on the series!
  21. Jul 9, 2014
    Watch this movie. Watch this movie if you like the feeling of anger pulsing through your bloodstream because you gave Ethan Hawke another chance. Because you thought the plot sounded cool, because you wanted to see rich people die.
    If not, leave this one alone, because it is one of the most infuriating movies I have ever had the opportunity to see.
    I wish there was an annual "purge"
    I wish there was an annual "purge" (like that fairy tale BS would fly in any country) so that I could legally execute the talented individuals who brought us this film.
  22. Jul 8, 2014
    The entire plot progression revolves around a small child being in the correct place at the correct time... Outside that highly unpredictable requirement the film wouldn't be able to progress very far...
  23. May 21, 2014
    This movie states that unemployment is below 1% and the economy is booming, this thanks to the Purge, were theres no law for 12 hours. It contradicts itself, people wont just kill, there main target would be money, businesses, banks etc would be looted and destroyed which would be disastrous for any economy..crap film that wasnt well thought out.
  24. May 16, 2014
    3 points for the concept, which was great and left me anticipating the release. Sooooo disappointed, wanted to leave before it ended. Everybody was so very stupid in the story, that it was all so predictable. This could have been a great movie.
  25. Apr 27, 2014
    In 2022, just 8 years from now, the U.S. government has instituted a new holiday. One that has led to peace and prosperity, but at an extreme cost to the less fortunate. For 12 hours, once a year, all crime is legal and people are given the opportunity to release their hatred and rage on anyone they can find. The cast isn't important to a film like this, it's all about the writers cynicalIn 2022, just 8 years from now, the U.S. government has instituted a new holiday. One that has led to peace and prosperity, but at an extreme cost to the less fortunate. For 12 hours, once a year, all crime is legal and people are given the opportunity to release their hatred and rage on anyone they can find. The cast isn't important to a film like this, it's all about the writers cynical message, that behind every smile is jealousy, behind every hand shake is anger, and trust has become a luxury that no one can afford. This Purge is all about the message that is being portrayed, but it has some major holes in the story. If all crime is legal for 12 hours, how come the only thing on peoples mind is murder? There weren't any rapes or bank robberies, nor where there any acts of terrorism or lashing out at authority. It was all about the killing. Most of the Purge is fairly predictable and it is what you would expect it to be. The big surprise comes at the end, which was extremely powerful, and really gives people the opportunity to question the message the writers have portrayed throughout the film. The only notable performance is that of the stars, Ethan Hawke, who was terrific, in a role I really didn't see him fitting into. The Purge is definitely all about the authors agenda and it is somewhat predictable, but what made the film for me, was the terrific ending, which really does give the audience the chance to challenge the cynical nature of the film. Expand
  26. Apr 20, 2014
    I really dont understand the bad score to this movie. this movie shows the anger hidden from humans and negative feelings they feel each other.
    this movie just says that sometimes, just because it's a homeless, sold more than the others and etc is not necessary to kill.
    Do not tell me "killing is in human nature". kill only animals do to survive. humans do by superfluous interests
  27. Apr 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Brilliant, twisted with a purpose, and incredibly thought-provoking. For starters, those who didn't like the fact that the movie doesn't spoon-fed the viewer answers to life's great mysteries or explain in detail the nature of the human condition, perhaps begin by examining the distinction between "freedom" and "liberty." I've news for folks who say the characters were "two-dimensional," that may be your own reflection, your assertion does not reflect on the film in the least. I've news for folks who say the story was "shallow" or "lacked depth," that is likely a reflection on you, not the writing, the dialogue, the acting, the direction, or the story-line. The manner in which it focuses the subject matter and the existential struggle the film's premise produces, by confining the story to one neighborhood, practically one family's home, leaving the viewer to contemplate the big picture, was nothing short of visionary. I'm not a fan of "slasher flicks" in the least, but this is science fiction and not your average "slasher flick," to suggest otherwise is simply ignorant. Now, as someone with a background in psychology, I could go on for days regarding the probable departures from "reality" statistically. However, the movie is squarely science fiction and in my humble opinion, the film accomplished what good science fiction should accomplish: It invites the viewer to examine themselves and their relationship with the rest of the world, if not the universe. It should make all of us a little uncomfortable, but not simply because of the violence and gore. Kudos to all those involved in making this film. Expand
  28. Apr 16, 2014
    I remember I first heard about this film in an ad before a YouTube video. It started with a voice-over said "Don't skip this ad. You are about to see the trailer for the most disturbing movie of the year." That was a bold statement, considering Evil Dead had already come out and The Conjuring was right around the corner. So naturally, I was curious and didn't skip the ad. One of the firstI remember I first heard about this film in an ad before a YouTube video. It started with a voice-over said "Don't skip this ad. You are about to see the trailer for the most disturbing movie of the year." That was a bold statement, considering Evil Dead had already come out and The Conjuring was right around the corner. So naturally, I was curious and didn't skip the ad. One of the first things I noticed was that Ethan Hawke was in the film. I am a fan of Ethan Hawke, and since he was in Sinister a few months prior (one of the scariest films I've ever seen), I was even more curious. Then I noticed the interesting premise about all crime being legal for 24 hours, and as I sat and watched the trailer, I thought "You know, this movie has a lot of potential if they do it right..."

Finally, June arrived and the release date came along, so I saw the film. I was surprised to see a lot of awful acting, bad directing, and a poorly written story. Any and all potential that this premise had was completely wasted. The filmmakers took the premise and did the laziest thing possible: they made it into a cheap slasher flick. The Purge tries to make you feel isolated/alone in a small area with people hunting you, much like how the first Alien movie did. But The Purge relies too much on jump-scares to scare you, which is not a good tactic for horror movies. Good horror has slow-building tension and a release, two things that The Purge has none of.

The characters and the acting are similar in the sense that they're terrible and make you angry. The kids make HORRIBLE decisions, and even in some instances, endanger their own lives. For example, there is a scene where the daughter is upset with her parents, so she walks off, while the people are still invading their house. She risks her life just to act rebellious. Then the people invading the house aren't great either. They all seem to wear masks and act insane to seem creepy. This could have worked, but the moment someone fires a gun at them, they immediately stop acting this way, and they take cover and act like regular people, which gets rid of any creepiness of them possibly being mentally insane.

My final rating for The Purge is a 3/10. I hoped that this movie would at least be worthy of a Redbox rent, but it isn't even worth that. Part of me feels that I went in expecting too much, and I probably did. However, in a way, with the marketing and the premise, I didn't expect too much out of it. If you say that your movie is the most disturbing movie of the year, then you better give me the most disturbing movie of the year.
  29. Apr 2, 2014
    This movie could've been better if it was from the view of person caught on the streets as the "purge" happened. Having the focus be on a family barricaded in a house makes for dull experience for something that sounded so unique to see. Instead we get a family we couldn't care less about. When you're hoping the "heros" are quickly killed by their tormentors that's a bad sign. As for theThis movie could've been better if it was from the view of person caught on the streets as the "purge" happened. Having the focus be on a family barricaded in a house makes for dull experience for something that sounded so unique to see. Instead we get a family we couldn't care less about. When you're hoping the "heros" are quickly killed by their tormentors that's a bad sign. As for the tormentors they come across as laughable at best. They seem like rich psychos in real life now they get an excuse to kill poor people without penalties. A better story would've followed people who ended up outside while trying to get home before curfew. This movie gets a 1 only because of it's idea, too bad it wasn't fleshed out better. Expand
  30. Mar 29, 2014
    An absolutely fantastic idea totally underutilized. This film follows a family around their house for its duration, a stereotypical game of cat and mouse that the Purge doesn't really bring anything new to. Even worse, it's packed full of forced suspense and cheap 'thrills'. I was hoping the theme of morality would be explored from different angles, but instead it's made very black andAn absolutely fantastic idea totally underutilized. This film follows a family around their house for its duration, a stereotypical game of cat and mouse that the Purge doesn't really bring anything new to. Even worse, it's packed full of forced suspense and cheap 'thrills'. I was hoping the theme of morality would be explored from different angles, but instead it's made very black and white. I found this unbelievable and it distanced me from being immersed in the film as a result. Expand
  31. Mar 11, 2014
    the purge is one of the best scary movie i seen all year . but the child who like the hobo in the house is a idiot because he took his families life in danger and almost got killed but i think its kinda cool killing the purge crew . but why would all medical services be closed ?
  32. Mar 10, 2014
    It s a Good film, very good story line, tho it could do with some work, maybe not stuck in one house for the whole movie, the only mistake that annoyed me was it was suppose to be a 12 hour purge but if you pay attention to the times it was Midnight to only 7am, thats 7 hours not 12.......
  33. Feb 25, 2014
    I really liked this original idea that surrounded the whole movie. I was excited for the Purge to happen in the movie and once it started I was underwhelmed and just angered by stupid decisions one after another. I know movies need characters to make "mistakes" to progress the plot but there were so many that after halfway I was just left aggravated. I think this movie was okay, it isI really liked this original idea that surrounded the whole movie. I was excited for the Purge to happen in the movie and once it started I was underwhelmed and just angered by stupid decisions one after another. I know movies need characters to make "mistakes" to progress the plot but there were so many that after halfway I was just left aggravated. I think this movie was okay, it is worth a rent and the idea was awesome so I hope a sequel can fix the mistakes. Just felt it could have been much better. Expand
  34. Feb 18, 2014
    What is wrong with people? Purge is exactly what the audience wants. Action,horror,suspense and blood. How people didn't like it? The plot may sound silly and some people may not like it I accept that) but it is original something that most horror movies nowadays aren't. I also don't understand how critics like The Cabin in the woods which is a movie and they didn't like the Purge whichWhat is wrong with people? Purge is exactly what the audience wants. Action,horror,suspense and blood. How people didn't like it? The plot may sound silly and some people may not like it I accept that) but it is original something that most horror movies nowadays aren't. I also don't understand how critics like The Cabin in the woods which is a movie and they didn't like the Purge which was a scary intense film. Lena Headey was a big surprise to me as I've only seen here in Game of thrones where she is excellent as "the bad guy" and she was even good playing "the good guy" and the mother who protects her daughter and son. In overall there is suspense and The Purge it has a good original plot that many people will like and others will not. I like the Purge and I consider it as one of the best horror-thriller movie that I have seen Thumbs up! Expand
  35. Feb 18, 2014
    Esta pelicula contiene escenas aburridas como interesantes, las aburridas no borran un buen trama de la pelicula, como se hace un a pelicula mejor al transcurrir el tiempo con un mensaje interno demasiado profundo q te pone a pensar un momento
  36. Feb 18, 2014
    The movie is a breathe of fresh air with a new idea which is out of the ordinary for Hollywood now a days and welcomed by the audience. The story moves at a relativity adequate pace without to much being tied down in a romance story that holds a lot of movies in this class. The movie only slows down and even gets lackluster in the end. The stories conclusion is very simple and easily seenThe movie is a breathe of fresh air with a new idea which is out of the ordinary for Hollywood now a days and welcomed by the audience. The story moves at a relativity adequate pace without to much being tied down in a romance story that holds a lot of movies in this class. The movie only slows down and even gets lackluster in the end. The stories conclusion is very simple and easily seen coming even minutes into the open. The simple write can draw in those who are new to cinema but those who have seen a few thrillers will not be impressed or shocked by the ending and even disappointed that they chose such a pedestrian reason for such a great stories conclusion. Expand
  37. Feb 18, 2014
    The movie keeps your heart beating from the start to the end. Its takes a ludicrous plot and provides a fairly reasonable and logical explanation that gives an almost surreal feel to the event. There are many… many cliches to in the film and character development is non existent… still a good watch. pretty entertaining.
  38. Feb 14, 2014
    This was a decent thriller. My heart was pounding in several scenes but I can understand why It's rating is what it is. The film had it's flaws but also had it's good points. Maybe It's just me but I wouldn't trust reviews on this to much. You might you have to watch it yourself
  39. Jan 26, 2014
    this flim is pure bull **** tries to take on serious issues but ****s itself and ends focusess on some douche bag getting inthe house .family get thearten by bad guy they spend 20 minutes **** all .the movie is **** horrible it was the worst movie ever . the acting was so awful. ethen hawke was the worst actor in the film. the ending was most awful i have ever seen . this filmthis flim is pure bull **** tries to take on serious issues but ****s itself and ends focusess on some douche bag getting inthe house .family get thearten by bad guy they spend 20 minutes **** all .the movie is **** horrible it was the worst movie ever . the acting was so awful. ethen hawke was the worst actor in the film. the ending was most awful i have ever seen . this film is'nt enjoible awful like event horison . it's the one were you enjoy smashing it awful. Expand
  40. Jan 9, 2014
    The Purge falla en muchos aspectos, pero en el que más falla es en el más importante: como contar una historia. El argumento de The Purge demuestra que, aunque Hollywood tiene el cine más conocido y taquillero, me atrevo a decir sin ningún miedo que también tiene el menos original y barato en lo que es storytelling. Si esto puede pasar como "una película de terror y suspenso" puede que yoThe Purge falla en muchos aspectos, pero en el que más falla es en el más importante: como contar una historia. El argumento de The Purge demuestra que, aunque Hollywood tiene el cine más conocido y taquillero, me atrevo a decir sin ningún miedo que también tiene el menos original y barato en lo que es storytelling. Si esto puede pasar como "una película de terror y suspenso" puede que yo sea Santa Claus; porque lo absurdo de la película pega duro como una patada baja, y créeme te va a doler por mucho tiempo. Expand
  41. Jan 9, 2014
    The Purge is probably the worst film I have ever seen in my whole life. I think into the future and it will be very difficult that a film can even reach the half of disgusting and annoying of The Purge. It is amazing how a really original and breathtaking idea, like a day when people can do whatever they want without facing any consequences so they release tensions, can be wasted in suchThe Purge is probably the worst film I have ever seen in my whole life. I think into the future and it will be very difficult that a film can even reach the half of disgusting and annoying of The Purge. It is amazing how a really original and breathtaking idea, like a day when people can do whatever they want without facing any consequences so they release tensions, can be wasted in such an unimaginable way. Starting by the thing that unleash the conflict of the story, the stupidity of a boy. Although no everything is his fault, the father is inconsistent with the things he does and a lame hero, the ideas of the mother are incoherent and the daughter is naïve to death. The twists of the story are desperate for achieving the attention of the viewer. There are some sequences that have potential but they dissipate in the immensity of rubbish. With an idea like this I would make the movie about the first day when the purge was establish or maybe evaluating that practice from different point of view from a group of people in the country. But there is nothing more to do with this director. I still ask myself how he manages to get the money to make this film and I hope that he never even think of making a new picture. This movie is an insult to human intelligence. Expand
  42. Jan 6, 2014
    There is a good tension that explodes at the end. Well conducted by the director and actors film.
    A very good film with a good idear, good actors actress but there is small problems in the scenario, but it's too little to him give a bad score.
  43. Jan 4, 2014
    I liked it. The movies premise is ridiculous. For one night a year all laws don't exist so that people don't commit crimes the rest of the year. If you think this is stupid then don't watch this movie. The whole idea is very tongue in cheek but the movie is done with a completely straight face. It is very violent and fast paced so for that reason I found it very entertaining.
  44. Dec 23, 2013
    The Purge offers imaginative plot but offer less scares and thrilling scenes which is not likely more of a sufficient thrilling movie and another thing that made this movie less mediocre is that it has a short running time.

It still good to be watched. The sound effects is still on its name. The characters, even though they are not that highly portrayable. They still got little guts. Actually, for my opinion, the only thing that raises its popularity was its unbelievable plot which is making all crimes legal within the annual "The Purge" 12 hour period.

The story tells us how a family managed to be secured and protected amidst of violent and chaotic people waiting outside their home that wanted to salvage and kill them. It is now up to them to destroy and kill those people before they killed them.

So overall of my opinion. All that I can say was that this movie is still adequate for family watching.

Rating 4 10
  45. Dec 13, 2013
    The premise is interesting at the cost of being completely implausible and so, pointless. In fact, it doesn't even play a major factor in the subsequent home invasion film that relies on startling pop-ups to even come close to a scare...
  46. Dec 12, 2013
    Draws viewers in with an interesting idea, and the first half looks promising, but succumbs to cliches. The second half is boring rather than suspenseful.
  47. Dec 6, 2013
    I quickly found myself very intrigued by the premise of 'The Purge'- a near future America under the new 'Founding Fathers' political regime. However, my intrigue and excitement soon turned to despair and annoyance as it became clear the film was to focus on a single, white, rich household. I wanted to see the wider stories within 'The Purge', something we only get a taste of on CCTVI quickly found myself very intrigued by the premise of 'The Purge'- a near future America under the new 'Founding Fathers' political regime. However, my intrigue and excitement soon turned to despair and annoyance as it became clear the film was to focus on a single, white, rich household. I wanted to see the wider stories within 'The Purge', something we only get a taste of on CCTV footage and radio broadcasts at the beginning of the film.The Writer, James DeMonaco, could have done so much more with such an innovative world, yet he took the easy way out by regurgitating the same old modern horror tactics with feeble jump scares and predictable 'plot twists'. The acting too left a lot to be desired. Ethan Hawke who plays James Sandin, the father and lead, does a good job of conveying himself as a morally confused figure; unsure whether to do what is 'right' or what is best for his family. However, you will find yourself frustrated with the acting from Max Burkholder, Adelaide Kane and Lena Heady, the respective son, daughter and wife of James Sandin. The son is meant to be the moral touchstone of the film, yet bland and uninteresting acting from Burkholder failed for this to be conveyed. There is not really a gel between the three, making moments between son and mother or mother and daughter somewhat awkward. Ultimately, we don't really care about their fate when they are thrown into potentially horrible situations. If you are looking for an in depth view into a futuristic world that examines the wider implications of a new and potentially possible regime, you won't find it here. If you are looking for something a bit simpler with occasional moments of excitement, by all means give this film a go. Expand
  48. Nov 29, 2013
    A pathetic attempt to scare its audience. The following film is original and the video quality is superb. However, the writers' are amateurs at best. The structure of events are not smartly planned. IN moments of action, the villains take decades to attempt to kill the main characters (family). The concept of the purge itself is quite idiotic. Although it is an imagination, its backing isA pathetic attempt to scare its audience. The following film is original and the video quality is superb. However, the writers' are amateurs at best. The structure of events are not smartly planned. IN moments of action, the villains take decades to attempt to kill the main characters (family). The concept of the purge itself is quite idiotic. Although it is an imagination, its backing is completely unrealistic. This would've been fine, had the writers not attempted to make the story realistic.

This film is simply another over-hyped film attempting to profit off of a controversial topic... just like project x.
  49. Nov 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Purge is simply awful. Awful concept, unbelievable awful writing. The son in this movie is an imbecile. He essentially got his father killed by letting a homeless man in their house. The said homeless man lives at the end. How he lives I don't know. He walked away at the end after bleeding out for about 12 straight hours. Yeah ok.....The father creates top of the line security systems, yet says "The security systems are not made for events like this"....Dude, you live in a society where every year people are allowed to go on killing sprees, so why would you say something so preposterous.....The neighbors at the end wanted the family dead, until the massive blood losing homeless man saves them, then the mother lets the neighbors go?.....Why so she can tell stories in the produce aisle? Wait for the neighbors to try and kill them next year?...Possibly the worse written plot ever...For such a great concept, so much more could have been done. A waste of a great plot. Expand
  50. Nov 15, 2013
    'The Purge' presents a good premise developed the wrong way, unfortunately, is a shallow dead and dull movie, when you end of watch, you just find yourself thinking about something else.
  51. Nov 9, 2013
    There's an interesting idea at the core of this movie. The idea of the government allowing all crime to be legal for one night a year has the potential to make a great movie, but despite this interesting concept the movie falls short. Characters act moronic and the movie lacks any sense of fear. There is some pretty interesting political and social commentary here, but most of it getsThere's an interesting idea at the core of this movie. The idea of the government allowing all crime to be legal for one night a year has the potential to make a great movie, but despite this interesting concept the movie falls short. Characters act moronic and the movie lacks any sense of fear. There is some pretty interesting political and social commentary here, but most of it gets drowned out by the overwhelming stupidity of the characters and their decisions. I get the overall theme of the movie, but the writers and director failed to capitalize on it. It's almost like they decided to make a movie with profound political commentary but just gave up and turned it into a generic home-invasion flick.

I guess what I'm so disappointed with is the fact that the movie had the potential to be so much more. You can feel it all throughout this movie. Unfortunately I have to review this movie for what it is, not what it could have been. "The Purge" has some great ideas but ends up sinking in stupidity that really should not have been there. It's safe to skip this one.
  52. LTR
    Nov 9, 2013
    This is a good horror movie. The characters are good and the atmosphere is good. My main problem with the film is the whole idea that crime is legal in one day. Even though it is original, I just think it's stupid.
  53. Nov 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I feel almost cheated with this movie, honestly. It's hard to feel concerned for a character when you know absolutely nothing about them. The only characters I can remember by name (after finishing the movie just seconds ago) was Zoey Sandin. Apart from that I have no idea who anyone was or what their stories were.

The antagonists seemed almost stereotypical in their Power Rangers Villain-esque portrayal, wanting to kill the "homeless pig" for the sake of a class war. This surprises me because in the event that this were a real event, it would more than likely be the lower class exhausting aggression on the upper class for obvious reasons. The antagonists, literally called in the subtitles: Freaks and Polite Leader, were completely bereft of any emotion and seemed to exhibit more of a Sociopathic tendency that you'd more likely see in a serial killer movie.

There wasn't anything lovable about the characters on either side, there was no one that I could honestly relate to and consequentially care about. What really brought it all down hill though was the cultish behavior of the neighbors when they all gathered around to kill the family with a less than concerning prayer of sorts. I wasn't sure if I was watching a Quentin Tarantino movie, at which I would have at least expected a few comedic quips with very serious overarching themes or a movie based on the works of Steven King in which a supernatural occurrence is the source of all the craze, at which point I expected (but was not given) a brazen attempt to convey a psychological aspect of what I would do in that situation.

Suffice to say, the movie fell flat in all aspects other than one thing that made me watch the movie in the first place: An original concept. This isn't something that's been done before and as stated at the beginning of my review, I feel cheated in how poorly it turned out.
  54. Oct 27, 2013
    Its concept and premise is rather different and interesting and it does make a good social and political allegory, but it is ruined by extreme lack of logic, dumb characters, bad dialogue, bad acting (apart from a menacing Rhys Wakefield) and a lack of suspense and terror. The Purge mainly succeeds it create foreboding terror as shown in the first 15 or so minutes when it is setting up theIts concept and premise is rather different and interesting and it does make a good social and political allegory, but it is ruined by extreme lack of logic, dumb characters, bad dialogue, bad acting (apart from a menacing Rhys Wakefield) and a lack of suspense and terror. The Purge mainly succeeds it create foreboding terror as shown in the first 15 or so minutes when it is setting up the purge rather than the home-invasion itself. By the end of the film, audiences will be disappointed and annoyed. Well, at least Lena Headey breaks some ladies face, which is possibly the best thing in the film. Expand
  55. Oct 26, 2013
    The Purge sucks. It is so terrible in so many ways, honestly. The base idea behind the plot is really cool, but it's wasted on a stupid family with characters you don't care about, and a big waste of villians. I'm sure it was there on the page, but the Purge stumbles in every way possible in terms of execution.
  56. Oct 25, 2013
    Un film muy recomendable, una de las mejores películas de la última década, muy bien llevada a cabo con un argumento interesante y muy atrapante. Ya desde el comienzo empieza a atrapar al espectador y en ningún momento se hace densa. Muy buena, recomendable.

JullTheAmazing Argentina
  57. Oct 22, 2013
    I signed up just to let people know how terrible this movie is, the idea of there being a single day in the year (which turns out to be only 12 hours starting from 7pm... in which people are legally allowed to commit heinous crimes, but higher level govt. employees are for some reason exempt, is so stupid, if you are drawn to a plot as ridiculous as this then maybe you need to be purged.I signed up just to let people know how terrible this movie is, the idea of there being a single day in the year (which turns out to be only 12 hours starting from 7pm... in which people are legally allowed to commit heinous crimes, but higher level govt. employees are for some reason exempt, is so stupid, if you are drawn to a plot as ridiculous as this then maybe you need to be purged.
    The story is so bad and made no sense, there was no depth to it, the acting was terrible, and character's idiotic decisions were enraging, i hated myself for wasting my valueless time watching this movie, the only reason why i did was because i acquired a pirated copy for which i am thankful for, because if i had actually spent any money to see this, i would be so depressed and angry and would have demanded my money back.
  58. Oct 11, 2013
    The Purge is a very underrated movie, this movie has original and fresh ideas, and it capitlizes with flying colors. The Actors are great at dilivering unique and interesting performences. The only downfall to this movie is that its too short. This movie has one of the most memorable villains. This is a sleeper hit for 2013 but i just wish it would have been longer.
  59. Oct 10, 2013
    I had read consistent bad reviews and seen low ratings for this movie which led my wife and I to stray away from spending good money on seeing this in theaters. However, after renting this I can easily say it was worth the $5.00 spent. The action scenes were executed well and for the most part, I did like the characters enough to actually care what happened to them.

I did find myself

I did find myself consistently thinking that even if this scenario of "the purge" were real, the way the characters acted would not be anything near how they would in real life. It is a shame that such a creative premise was somehow mismanaged and not used to its full potential but it was very entertaining nonetheless. The Purge obviously lacks in some areas and falls short in others, but ultimately triumphs in providing what it was intended to do; leave your brains at the door, sit back and enjoy some creepy entertainment.
  60. Oct 10, 2013
    I don't feel that the low user score is warranted. The movie deserves an 8/10 for originality alone. A great concept with some really quality acting, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie which leans more towards the more extreme portions of the human condition but is nonetheless a thoroughly entertaining flick (unless you're a pacifist or bleeding heart liberal) which is certainly worth a watch
  61. Oct 10, 2013
    It was not exciting, it was really a two scary scenes in it all, I do not know what was in it for horror. A rather weak story seems to have been a low-budget movie.
  62. Oct 9, 2013
    "There’s something powerful in the way horror movies and thrillers are able to tap into the cultural fears of a given moment. Whether it’s the sexual politics of the 1980s slasher movie, or the torture porn explosion in the wake of the US wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, no other genre is so adept at saying, “Here’s what's on our minds right now, and it’s scaring the hell out of us.” Agree!"There’s something powerful in the way horror movies and thrillers are able to tap into the cultural fears of a given moment. Whether it’s the sexual politics of the 1980s slasher movie, or the torture porn explosion in the wake of the US wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, no other genre is so adept at saying, “Here’s what's on our minds right now, and it’s scaring the hell out of us.” Agree!
  63. Oct 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think I enjoy the concept of this film more than the movie. The idea that, in order to control the country and the populace, our government allows a 12-hour period where all crime is legal. Add Ethan Hawke to the mix and a family that is forced to decide on whether they should allow a man who is guilty of nothing more than just existing or losing everything and you have a recipe for success. However, the movie proved to be a little messy for my tastes. The story is a little chaotic and a lot of the characters go underdeveloped. The film offers up a great twist ending that is perfectly foreshadowed in the beginning but the ending feels slightly tacked on due to a poorly handled plot. However, with all the potential deal breakers going on in this movie, most of the acting is great, the Polite Leader antagonist that is harassing the trapped family is fantastic and, most of all, the concept is just brilliant. While it didn't live up to its potential, it was still very entertaining. Expand
  64. Oct 3, 2013
    The concept and plotline of this film can be summed up in one word:

"Stupid".

How is it possible that a group of sane people choose to create a movie with a concept so ridiculous.

Please do not watch this movie or you'll regret it.
  65. Oct 3, 2013
    Le film montre ce qu'est l’Amérique avec leur désire de nettoyer la vermine... Le film est vraiment null en particulier les enfants. Je donne 3 mais j'ai voulu donné 0...
  66. Sep 30, 2013
    Nice and new idea,it reflects how the nature of human is bad and hideous ,and if the chance come to anyone he will kill and revenge I wish there is other part from this movie with more exciting story.
  67. Sep 29, 2013
    Considering everything that I can imagine this film could of been. I would have preferred if i had not seen it and stuck with the much better imagination of what this could have been.

1 house lock in from a film with a budget this big is really pathetic.
  68. Sep 26, 2013
    Lets start with the flaws of the imagined social/economic consequences of the Purge system... Crime rates would drop to 1%? Economy would rise? Why the hell would it? Prostitution, drug dealers, corruption is done on a daily basis. Perverts, abusers would not wait until the government allows them to commit crimes. The purge system would only decrease a minimal amount of crime. Other thenLets start with the flaws of the imagined social/economic consequences of the Purge system... Crime rates would drop to 1%? Economy would rise? Why the hell would it? Prostitution, drug dealers, corruption is done on a daily basis. Perverts, abusers would not wait until the government allows them to commit crimes. The purge system would only decrease a minimal amount of crime. Other then that imagine You try to kill your fellow worker, because he/she was not nice with on you workplace...Now imagine you fail, now you can spend the rest of the year feeling hatred toward that person. It is not really productive in a workplace. As I have wrote before criminals who live from crime, would not stop after a purge. Also why would they allow using fire-based weapons during a Purge? (There are some restriction but nothing for arson?) It would cost a lot to build up a city from the ashes right? The whole thing could use some more thinking to it.... Other than these, the characters were boring and the kid was the dumbest movie character I have seen in a long time. The kid actually wanted to save a stranger more than his own family... The bad guys looked more stupid then threatening in my opinion. Well a generic action thriller. Expand
  69. Sep 26, 2013
    This was better than I thought it would be. With all the negative comments, I'm glad I ignored them and watched and I enjoyed it pretty much. This is more focused on what if we are in the situation and what would we do? I give this a focus on story and not on the graphics and comical story. I give this one a high rate of @@@@.5 for the story. Give this movie a go and please look on theThis was better than I thought it would be. With all the negative comments, I'm glad I ignored them and watched and I enjoyed it pretty much. This is more focused on what if we are in the situation and what would we do? I give this a focus on story and not on the graphics and comical story. I give this one a high rate of @@@@.5 for the story. Give this movie a go and please look on the story and not the graphics. Movie is supposed to be judge by its content not the cover anyway. Expand
  70. Sep 2, 2013
  71. Aug 29, 2013
  72. Aug 26, 2013
    Not the best horror movie of 2013, but I didn't think that "The Purge" was that bad. It has an original concept, but it isn't taken to the full amount it could have gone.
  73. Aug 25, 2013
    The purge is singlehandedly the most pointless movie i have ever seen...
    In what sort of civilised society would the government allow one night where anything is legal?
    (spoiler alert (not that there is anything in the movie TO BE spoiled)) Stupid thing numero uno: Why would the kid let a man, who for all she knows could kill her whole family, into her house on the one night of the
    The purge is singlehandedly the most pointless movie i have ever seen...
    (spoiler alert (not that there is anything in the movie TO BE spoiled))

Stupid thing numero uno:
    Why would the kid let a man, who for all she knows could kill her whole family, into her house on the one night of the year that it is legal for them to do whatever they want.

Stupid thing 2:
    Why would Ethan Hawke harbour someone who for all he knows could have been a serial killer into his house and risk his family's lives by keeping him away from 'the purgers'.

Stupid thing 3:
    So the neighbours want to kill the whole family because he used the money he earned to make his house nicer???

I SWEAR TO GOD IF THERE WAS A PURGE I WOULD GO AFTER THE PEOPLE WHO MADE THIS FILM AND TORTURE THEM UNTILL THEY GAVE BACK THE 85 MINUTES THAT THEY HAVE STOLEN AWAY FROM ME! ALSO I WOULD POLITELY ASK FOR MY £7 BACK IT COST ME TO SEE THIS PILE OF W*NK!
    WASTE OF FUDGING TIME!
  74. Aug 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. That this movie isn't universally ridiculed is a sign of how bad things have gotten in America.
    The concept is ridiculous and the execution is very stupid:
    The two messages are:
    - too much violence is bad, so perhaps we should reduce violence.
    - The purge is already happening: The one percent is waging class warfare against the middle class and the poor, with their predatory lending schemes and with their continued sabotaging of the health care system. Many reviews fail to mention that with the Health Care System, a purge is already being waged against the very poor.

Both the lousy concept and the poor execution are getting in the way of all that.

Concept:
    The idea that a purge would work on any level is ridiculous:
    - revenge killing!
    - who's gonna prevent killing from being done after 7:01? And if I call it self-defense, who would challenge me? I can murder anyone, claiming that, which is what Zimmerman did, knowing full well no white jury would ever convict a white man.
    - too much pressure on EMT services the day after.
    - the risk that arson would destroy other homes than the targets is too great.
    - the enormous destruction of property.

The execution:
    As a movie it's sooo full of plotholes, it's frankly beyond believe.
    1. The BIGGEST and BADDEST security expert allows his 11 year old to access the security system and open the door for a total stranger.
    2. The BIGGEST and BADDEST security expert, who's also very rich have no back up generator???
    3. The house apparently has no small battlement loopholes as in an opening or apertures in the wall, from which potential intruders can be shot. Like those bored rich kids.
    4. the kids keep running off, makes no sense.
    5. they keep splitting up.
    6. daughter goes with the BF after BF tries to shoot her father. Very unlikely
    7. Mother allows neighbor to walk after neighbor beeyatch tries to kill her kids, TWICE! Some very gentle kind soft natured mother will pump you full of lead if you even look at their kids funny.
    8. BF shoots the father for no real reason and expects daughter to still love him?? Very unlikely
    9. Won't there gigantic revenge killing the next day?
    10. A purge day will lead to wanton and GIGANTIC destruction of property, that's always bad.

Given all these problems I think the movie should be more taken as an allegory than literal, it's like the Bible on that note.
  75. Aug 3, 2013
    The only reason I would ever give this more than a 0 is the fact that the actors were decent and the idea was too. Super unrealistic and extremely predictable with ridiculously bloodthirsty characters.. In fact there are only about 5 people in the movie who are not trying to get this "cleanse" by killing other random people.
  76. Aug 3, 2013
    My favorite part of the movie is when someone says "Let us due our duties as Americans." Once you accept that the entire concept is ludicrous and completely thoughtless, it is entertaining enough to keep your attention.
  77. Aug 2, 2013
    The film was just a cliche-filled bottle with many stupid choices by the protagonists. The story was interesting, but it was developed very badly. It could have been a lot better
  78. Aug 2, 2013
    This movie is terrible. The story, the background, the whole script is a mess. I believe that this flick is racist to an utter extent, the mere title says it all. The plot has no foundation, it lacks everything that is expected from a thriller, you barely get in touch with each character that englobes the directors message to the expectator. Lacks details that may had placed them on aThis movie is terrible. The story, the background, the whole script is a mess. I believe that this flick is racist to an utter extent, the mere title says it all. The plot has no foundation, it lacks everything that is expected from a thriller, you barely get in touch with each character that englobes the directors message to the expectator. Lacks details that may had placed them on a score of 1. And my review ends with one question to the director, Why do you believe that the poor and the minority in 2022 are the Afro-americans?. Expand
  79. Jul 30, 2013
    The film's run time was a huge blow to the film itself. It was too short. There no room for back story or to even tell the actual story being told during the film. It was simply too fast paced, It ruined the film. As for the plot itself, It was an interesting premise but was poorly executed. The film's length really hurt the plot, I feel they couldn't really develop it enough to make itThe film's run time was a huge blow to the film itself. It was too short. There no room for back story or to even tell the actual story being told during the film. It was simply too fast paced, It ruined the film. As for the plot itself, It was an interesting premise but was poorly executed. The film's length really hurt the plot, I feel they couldn't really develop it enough to make it into a good enough plot because of the short run time. As for the dialogue, It wasn't that good. It was average at best really, Which is sort of disappointing.

The acting is ok, The film is easily carried by Hawke and Headey, despite the weak written dialogue they have to deal with. A bit of action, mainly towards the end, that was enough to satisfy viewers but it would have been nice to have solid action through out instead of all of being played out during the last 10-15 mins or so. It would have been nice if they had added a real gruesome scene or two though because the whole point of the film is there is no law for the next 12 hours. Use some imagination or something, Make the viewers shift in their seats because of how sick the scene is, Be a horror movie you know? Sadly they don't really do that in this film.

Overall, The short run time, average at best dialogue, and lack of any true horror was a huge downer. I was really hoping that The Purge would capitalize on the very promising premise but sadly it did not. The ending did save it from being a total disappointment but it wasn't enough to save the film as a whole.
  80. Jul 27, 2013
    This movie wasn't spectacular but it sure was intense. Not a real deep plot but good scares and tension. The moral choice that plagued the protagonist and his family was a tough one. The ending and length of the movie were the only things I found wrong with it. Still a good movie I liked it better than the strangers which reminds me of this.
  81. Jul 24, 2013
    this movie has an original story and it's well done, but the thing is that the movie doesn't have anything to do with te trailer, the movie was too short an the end just doesn't have sense, and it doesn't go with the movie, and this movie didn't scared me at all. I just dont recommend it.
  82. Jul 18, 2013
    The Purge seemed to have an interesting and original story in the making however as the film gathers pace what unfolds is unfortunately less than impressive as the film loses its way. It's 2022 and America is prospering as a nation reborn. Crime and unemployment is at all time low. This is due to a government initiated programme known as the annual purge. Where in a 12 hour period allThe Purge seemed to have an interesting and original story in the making however as the film gathers pace what unfolds is unfortunately less than impressive as the film loses its way. It's 2022 and America is prospering as a nation reborn. Crime and unemployment is at all time low. This is due to a government initiated programme known as the annual purge. Where in a 12 hour period all crime is legal and emergency services are suspended. The idea is genius and intriguing. The film focuses on the Purge through the Sandin family headed by Ethan Hawke and Lena Headey. They have become wealthy through the introduction of the purge. It had the potential to offer a very unique and fresh take on the horror genre but ultimately unfolds into numbing violence and tired clichés. Very much a missed opportunity and a sad disappointment! Expand
  83. Jul 15, 2013
    primero tengo un primo que es gay y esta enamorado del director de esta película y segundo no me parece una película que algún día vaya a ganar un premio de ninguna categoría.
  84. Jul 14, 2013
    Bad movie, the story is just The ending is just crap. rtgdrgpdrkgdtgfoijtohoixfhjokviidryhiduhophukthiothufbjhutibtuyhtgkjhtimounstjunsoujynstiouyjtosuynioioioioioioiotujsouysroiynsotiyu
  85. Jul 5, 2013
    It's a shame that such an intriguing concept (The idea of the titular 'Purge') is wasted on such a dull plot which follows a dull, unrelatable family defend their home from a group of random strangers, its biggest mistake is giving us no background to the bad guys, it's hard to be intimidated by an antagonist who appears from seemingly nowhere. It also fails in being a thriller, the filmIt's a shame that such an intriguing concept (The idea of the titular 'Purge') is wasted on such a dull plot which follows a dull, unrelatable family defend their home from a group of random strangers, its biggest mistake is giving us no background to the bad guys, it's hard to be intimidated by an antagonist who appears from seemingly nowhere. It also fails in being a thriller, the film just isn't tense. However as previously stated I love the idea of 'The Purge' and a future sequel could potentially be a much better watch. TL:DR; wait for it to come to TV, as mediocre as they come Expand
  86. Jul 4, 2013
    Horror movie are a very hard genre of movie to create. There are not many horror movies that put me on the edge of my seat with horror. This movie was very interesting, the idea of the Purge is such a creative idea for a movie. I thought that they did a very good job and I look forward to The Purge 2. I highly recommend this movie for people that like horror and thriller movies.
  87. Jul 3, 2013
    The Purge's premise is wasted here, it doesn't even need to exist. The Purge is just a cheap slasher horror movie and even bad at that. At no point in this film did I get scared, really I was just bored throughout the whole movie. Everyone in the movie does a good job but it just wasn't enough. This movie is extremely predictable. Overall I wouldn't recommend watching this movie.
  88. Jul 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I find the movie very entertaining very suspenseful i loved it i really just didn't like the ending that much i don't think the dad shoulda died i think he shoulda made it to the end Expand
  89. Jul 2, 2013
    This movie was entertaining. The story line of what it means to "Purge" in this movie, is creepy, but that is what is entertaining about it. I just think that the ending was kind of stale and that it could have shown more footage about what was "happening around the world as people were partisipating in "The Purge".
  90. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The premise of the movie is a bit far-fetched, and the way it played out was lacking and tacky.

For myself, it is always weird to see Ethan Hawke playing a character other than a rookie cop (as in Training Day).

The plot was lacking on a lot of what I wanted to see, such as: the antagonist dying a more horrific and painful death, the main character rising from his injuries, racism towards the black intruder, and a resolution that was clear on how things would play out beyond the ending. I don't understand why the black homeless intruder left so easily. I was expecting him to get together with the wife and become part of the family. The movie is a senseless anecdote.
  91. Jun 29, 2013
    The problem is that The Purge has a powerful plot and ideas that are never used before, what happens here is that it is turned into a tired, cliché ridden, low budget slasher horror film, that could have been great and thought provoking. Lost opportunity.
  92. Jun 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A day in which crimes are all forgiven, for America has found new refuge under the tradition of the annual purge, a concept which toys with our inner primate selves. The Purge begins very slowly setting the scene in an eerily fashion, viewers are introduced to the normality of the purge quite quickly and it is this normality which then makes the later developments in the plot so shocking to an unsuspecting viewer.

The concept is one which could of probably been delivered to a higher standard however the movie to an extent does give it some justice, with it only being 85 minutes in total leaving you hungry for more it immediately becomes apparent that "The Purge" is a short taster to a number of following prequels,it provides an insight into "home invasion" one aspect of many which could be exploited in the concept of "The Purge"

With the whole movie being set in the house like movies similar such as "panic room" the director has chosen to diversify the film by using a number of different rooms on screen within the family house however due to it being set in the early hours of the morning and later developments leading to low level lighting it means that most of the movie is quite dark.

Ethan Hawke plays the patriotic father of the family, an upper class family which strongly supports the annual purge however when they become involved stumble upon choices they must have to make in order to protect there family from the threat outside. The family and neighbours were poorly portrayed by their actor counterparts, it really took value away from the movie and made you want to quetion were they acting with the boy child being emotionless throughout the film and the neighbours being gormless in some scenes.

Despite this I was glued to my chair throughout, the movie started slow however became quite fast moving. With me not seeing the trailer beforehand the movies events were more of a shock as they came to play and allowed for me to be more gripped. Following the credits the general consensus was positive for being such a low budget film.
  93. Jun 28, 2013
  94. Jun 27, 2013
    I have just a few things to say. First off, if this ever happens to Any of you, THIS IS NOT the way to go about saving your family. Second of all, poor script. Lastly I would rather watch 5 monkeys throw sh°t on each other.
  95. Jun 26, 2013
    This movie, concerns my self with great duplicity. A confusing story line, horrible scenarios, and blood thirsty laws. It was a quick sell, but left a horrible taste in my mouth nearly only 10 minutes of being introduced or as I felt involuntarily robbed of my precious time.

I would rather Adam Sandler played the main role, because obviously a joke would make this script interact much more fluently. It would have been better, if the daughter of main character opened the door to her unsuspecting boyfriend, and the boyfriend had turned suicidal killer been a moment of zen.

But no, it seems that between Coffey and toiletry's the real substance of this film was left in the tub with a dirty ring. Good movies leave room for sequels, and if you have a Nikon it doesn't man your blogger neither.

Overall, the film sold me for the first 15 seconds, and than shoved, denial and words like durably down my throat, slowly churning its way down my amphibious gut which than bubbled up the regurgitation of a small picnic which in all totality should be a weeks worth.

I'm ashamed I didn't remember the preview, obviously with enough sell out guides previews have now adays. I could negatively shriek intimate donkey spoil, on the mild manure pre-ordained growing lands over my spouted interest in good being well. The work put into this, would measure the time, and integrity required of a Home Depot employee that has better time to sort stock, than had prepped the future shed and kitchen display. Who deserves the credit for this Bull****?

V/R
    Dr Saint G
  96. Jun 24, 2013
  97. Jun 24, 2013
    The idea of the movie is good,12 hours a year crime is legal, I think it had its inspiration from the Episode 21 Season 1 Start Trek series "The Return of the Archons" where people of Beta III "let loose" at the striking of "The Red Hour" (at 6:00pm), starting "Festival": a period of violence, destruction and sexual aggressiveness.
    This idea was never used into a movie but interesting
    This idea was never used into a movie but interesting that the only movie to use this idea turned out to be a disappointment that didn't live up to our expectations.
    In the near future of 2022 USA is a "reborn" nation because of the New Founding Father who brought order and prosperity to the nation by eliminating crime, poverty, unemployment and one of the reasons to this prosperity seem to the Purge, 12 hours where crime is legal. There we see our problems:

- this utiopian/dystopian society happens to fast, really 9 years? Who would vote for these guys to make the Purge legal? Do the american people and international community accept this and do nothing? It is too soon and so implausible!

- who is the one to come up with this idea of crime being legal, Princess Morbucks from the Powerpuff Girls

- what will the victims of the Purge do? Won't they complain, protest or revolt?

- who is going to pay for all the deaths, hospitalizations and consolations of the victims, destroyed public and private property?

- what about the people who have health problems or suffer an accident, not because of the Purge, will they be left for death and the ambulance and firefighters will do nothing?

- what will the poor, the homeless and the less fortunate ones do? Is the Purge the reason why poverty is down to 1%?

And speaking of homeless, out of all the people to be hunted down it had to be a homeless, retired veteran, black man! Of course they have to pic on the black guy, because in Hollywood the black guy always dies first. Really? Even in this "reborn nation" the unfortunate and poor are still blacks and soldiers who fought in the war? Seems like some things never change, isn't that right John Rambo?Fighting for your country just to become homeless and hunted down by people of the country your served.

Overall from a suspenseful and tense dystopian movie this turned into another silly home invasion movie with stupid expandables for villains.
    The acting was ok, the main villain was well played and so annoyingly evil you just really want him purged.

This movie is as bad, in fact more bad than Daybreakers! Good idea but badly exploited in a bad movie.
    The plot for this movie would have been good in the 70s and 80s not in the second decade of 2000s. Back then it would have been a cheesy B-movie but it would have been saved from being forgotten or tared to pieces by critics by becoming a cult classic.
    All this strong faith and patriotism to the New Founding Father and the purge makes the movie laughable and I think that people who hate USA will probably use this movie to show how bad USA is. Heck, I think this movie might be legal in North Korea, saying that this actually happens in USA.

I rated this movie 4/10 on Metacritic but it deserves a 4.5/10 and I look forward to see the sequel in hopping that will explain how USA got reborn and who are these New Founding Fathers, and what are Level 10 government officials and Class 4 weapons?
  98. Jun 23, 2013
    Dumb, dumb, dumb that defines The Purge. Terrible script and yes a terrible premise. I know some think the premise is interesting, but the more you think about it the more it's just stupid. I mean who would want to live in a country where people can legally murder and as for unemployment being at 1%, how. Why would anyone want to go to work and potentially anger the wrong person whoDumb, dumb, dumb that defines The Purge. Terrible script and yes a terrible premise. I know some think the premise is interesting, but the more you think about it the more it's just stupid. I mean who would want to live in a country where people can legally murder and as for unemployment being at 1%, how. Why would anyone want to go to work and potentially anger the wrong person who would then just kill you on The Purge. Ethan Hawke is fine, but the kids are stupid and the invaders are stupid. Not scary, not thrilling, not a piece about society. Just plain DUMB!!! Expand
  99. Jun 23, 2013
    Yes, the film was rather predictable but I thought the premise was so clever that it lifted it out of the traditional. A clever societal commentary with some scary moments. Worked for me.
  100. Jun 23, 2013
    Besides having a concept that makes no sense and insults who we are as people, The Purge offers enough tension and fear to make up for its lack of depth and limited purging.

1. Reviewed by: Rex Reed
    Jun 11, 2013
    As a nauseating variation on the home-invasion theme, The Purge is as sickening as it is dreary.
  2. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Jun 9, 2013
    This is quite possibly the most moronic motion picture I have seen thus far in 2013 and that's saying a lot.
  3. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Jun 9, 2013
    The Purge isn’t just stupid; it’s also pretentious and often makes no sense.