5.2

1. Nov 23, 2014
    The Purge es sin duda una película que es interesante y que llama la atención por su intrigante sipnosis, y en mi opinión, debió tener mejores críticas de las que tiene por parte del público y crítica.
  2. Nov 22, 2014
    The Purge was pretty stupid. The acting was terrible, the story was good but it had added satisfactory. There were quite the few plot holes, and the lines...Jesus Christ, man!
  3. Nov 19, 2014
    HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE. The movie plot and story is not well thought and very bad. COMPLETELY predictable it leaves nothing to surprise there is just no point. I feel like taking a lesson from southpark and going to the directors and getting paid for watching this movie.
  4. Nov 13, 2014
    "The Purge" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Mediocre) ...

The Good: Not a bad idea and halfway through I was genuinely interested in the outcome. Though the execution was ultimately lacking, it was a nice setup.

The Bad: It pretty much degenerates into the same cliche movie we have all seen a hundred times before. When the bad guys finally get in (come on, you knew they would!), it should be a
    suspenseful and chilling moment. Instead, it becomes a boring shoot 'em up. How many times can you see the "good guy" on the ground with a villain standing over them when suddenly, from somewhere off screen, shots ring out saving the day? It happens with mind numbing consistency in this film. Ethan Hawke's character was also not even remotely likeable and you find yourself rooting against him for most of the movie. Expand
  5. Oct 24, 2014
    this movie is very gory and original it is an amazing movie with a interesting concept it is a great thriller and has you hanging on the edge of your seat its not scary but its a thrill ride to remember
  6. Oct 24, 2014
    Huge terrifying potential here. However it's potential that's wasted using age old jumpy scares. The scenario sets the stage brightly but by the end the stage is left dull as the extraordinary potential surrounding this film secretes out in our sweat as we watch.
  7. Sep 8, 2014
    A very cool concept that was not executed well at all. This movie could have been really good but was not set up well and was not interesting at all. I was looking forward to seeing this one even though I have heard a lot of bad things about it, and I was very disappointed with it. Very boring with not very good acting makes this a very poor movie.
  8. Sep 7, 2014
    When we were looking for horror movie to see, I proposed this film, and they thanked me for it. When violence becomes normal after a year, stress is you shoot a heart attack every hour, and there are 12; literally. With a history that shows the brutality of the human being and a family that catches you in its most real's wishes live.

Another highly recommended movie.
  9. Sep 7, 2014
    One of the worst movie i've seen. Bad acting and character does not know the difference between right and wrong, putting stranger's life before all of their member.Only Ethan Hawk makes the right decision.
  10. Sep 2, 2014
    While it has an intriguing premise, and it's an overall suspenseful and enjoyable movie, "The Purge" is loaded with plot holes, inconsistencies, bad acting, shaky cam, and stupid characters. If you can look past all its flaws, I would recommend it.
  11. Aug 25, 2014
    I give this movie a 4 only because of the originality and so it's sort of worth watching, other than that it's terrible anyone saying otherwise was clearly high while watching. The film has SO many cliche and stupid moments that leave you face palming so hard. I predicted almost every single moment in this film because of how unoriginal it was. To leave spoilers to a minimum let's just say that the characters have a decision where it's either this happens or this and this happens and even though this occurs in both scenarios the characters still have a hard time deciding what to do. And 1 character who keeps screwing everything up and just being an annoyance. When the credits rolled I felt that this amazing idea had just been ruined entirely because they either couldn't think of anything better or because they were plain lazy. Also you could mistake this movie for ANY other movie as it has NOTHING to do with the purge, the only resemblance it has is the beginning and end. I hope anarchy proves better than this... Expand
  12. Aug 13, 2014
    This was quite possibly one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It wasn't even so bad it was funny. It was just flat out aggravatingly terrible. The premise was interesting, but that's all I can really say good about this movie. The entire reason the events of the movie took place was because of the fact the father left access to the security system out in the open where anyone in the house could access it, and everyone in the family knew the code. It only gets worse from there, as the family had multiple chances to prevent things from escalating further, but made the dumbest decisions every time. One of the most unforgivable parts was when they were finally ready to solve the issue, and then the female characters who were otherwise fine with solving it suddenly broke down and said they shouldn't go through with it because it would make them terrible people. This is in spite of the fact they were being threatened with their lives by the very man who they were suddenly not so sure about handing over. And just then, they decided not to hand the guy over after all and instead face all the purgers outside instead. Not to mention finally in the end not all of the purgers were killed after the purge period ended, and considering all the damage the family did to them, those purgers will just be back again the next time but infinitely less merciful. And all because the family decided to show them mercy. They are quite possibly the dumbest family in existence and the plot was one of the most legitimately aggravating things I've ever experienced. Please, if you were considering watching this, reconsider. Expand
  13. Aug 1, 2014
    The background isn't credible for adult viewers. Anarchy and fear, even contemporary, can't boost economic growth, nor would criminals choose mostly poor targets under these circumstances. Indeed, the director seems to only try to present the wealthier people as violent and unsympathetic villains and poor and young people as more competent individuals. This kind of plot is all but original.

Acting and surroundings weren't that bad, but one could easily predict which characters were to survive (i.e. every female). Furthermore, extra minus one point for including a horny boy friend just to get killed. Respective cliche is just too common...
  14. Jul 28, 2014
    It's a pity such an interesting idea was wasted on making a home-invasion horror flick. The genre is not the problem, though. It's how its creator decides to present his film. He wants a profitable horror film that follows cliches and aims at horror film audiences alone. He wants nothing more than violence and scare jumps. It is a pity this premise is not exploited at all. It feels like every single remark on social issues is a matter of luck. A great disappointment when you have been captivated by Universal's intriguing marketing campaign, but shows potential that can be fulfilled in sequel films. Expand
  15. Jul 25, 2014
    Gets one point for having a plot. The Purge is full of contradictions and horrendous moments that involve much stupidity that cannot be taken seriously. The film isn't scary, neither is it enjoyable...do not purchase this film, find some other way to watch it, such as cable or streaming. How a sequel was planned and eventually released boggles my mind.
  16. Jul 23, 2014
    I cannot believe how disappointing this movie was, I was hoping for a tense horror flick with an interesting premise. It wasn't, it was just one jump scare after another and they were all extremely predictable and cheap. By the 4th jump scare I knew it was coming so I took off my headphones and waited 3 seconds and it came. All the horror movie cliches are there and the victims are incredibly stupid. Stay away from this one and hope that the sequel is better. Although the idea of The Purge is cool the movie itself falls flat on its face.

P.S. The villain in the movie was boring and the ending 'twist' makes no sense and is just there for some more cheap scares.
  17. Jul 19, 2014
    'The Purge' is definitely one of those movies I went in with way to much anticipation and excitement. Even though the idea was one of my favorite plot ideas in a while, I can’t get over the fact that it was set up to be this crazy and malicious crime spree night, but turned out to be like any other murder movie where the bad guy(s) come, the killing starts, and then the movie is over. In the movie world today, when I here a movie is coming up that has to do with a 12 hour period where all crime (including murder) is legal with no cops or hospitals, I expect it to be freaking awesome, wouldn’t you? Expand
  18. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    The Purge was pretty good, considering horror movies these days are just boring because most of them just follow the style of Paranormal Activity after it came out, but this wasn't like Paranormal Activity at all. The Purge is original, and you'll actually jump at points.
  19. Jul 15, 2014
    Imagine a world where crime is basically non-existent and almost everyone has a job and is doing well. Imagine this utopia is in the US in the year 2022. Thanks to a night held once a year called The Purge, this is all somehow possible. Any crime is legal for a night every year until morning comes. That is the basic setting for the movie.
    I‘ll cut to the chase. It’s supposed to be a
    horror sci-fi thriller but it fits none of the two supposed genres. It’s a short film (85 minutes) and the first roughly thirty consist of a wealthy Ethan Hawke and his family gearing up for the night. Other events complicate the family’s safety, and finally there are a few actually decent action scenes about an hour into the film and lead to a predictable yet tasteless ending.
    The main villain is a young fella who is the leader of a group of college-aged kids taking part in The Purge (because c’mon, who doesn’t want to kill somebody?) and his acting job is creepily sinister and ends up giving you an overall solid job of being the bad guy. Otherwise, if you come expecting a scary, thrilling, and violent movie, you get none of the first two adjectives and a little bit of the third.
    I will have to say that the idea the movie presents is spectacular. It could be turned into an awesome futuristic film if taken seriously and turned into something serious (maybe down the lines of Looper, Cloud Atlas, etc.) so I’ll give writer-director James DeMonaco that.
  20. Jul 12, 2014
    This movie is far better than what it has scored from user reviews. Then again all reviews are just opinions even from critics so don't take my word for it. Purge 2 is coming out soon so get spun up on the series!
  21. Jul 9, 2014
    Watch this movie. Watch this movie if you like the feeling of anger pulsing through your bloodstream because you gave Ethan Hawke another chance. Because you thought the plot sounded cool, because you wanted to see rich people die.
    If not, leave this one alone, because it is one of the most infuriating movies I have ever had the opportunity to see.
    I wish there was an annual "purge"
    (like that fairy tale BS would fly in any country) so that I could legally execute the talented individuals who brought us this film. Expand
  22. Jul 8, 2014
    The entire plot progression revolves around a small child being in the correct place at the correct time... Outside that highly unpredictable requirement the film wouldn't be able to progress very far...
  23. May 21, 2014
    This movie states that unemployment is below 1% and the economy is booming, this thanks to the Purge, were theres no law for 12 hours. It contradicts itself, people wont just kill, there main target would be money, businesses, banks etc would be looted and destroyed which would be disastrous for any economy..crap film that wasnt well thought out.
  24. May 16, 2014
    3 points for the concept, which was great and left me anticipating the release. Sooooo disappointed, wanted to leave before it ended. Everybody was so very stupid in the story, that it was all so predictable. This could have been a great movie.
  25. Apr 27, 2014
    In 2022, just 8 years from now, the U.S. government has instituted a new holiday. One that has led to peace and prosperity, but at an extreme cost to the less fortunate. For 12 hours, once a year, all crime is legal and people are given the opportunity to release their hatred and rage on anyone they can find. The cast isn't important to a film like this, it's all about the writers cynical message, that behind every smile is jealousy, behind every hand shake is anger, and trust has become a luxury that no one can afford. This Purge is all about the message that is being portrayed, but it has some major holes in the story. If all crime is legal for 12 hours, how come the only thing on peoples mind is murder? There weren't any rapes or bank robberies, nor where there any acts of terrorism or lashing out at authority. It was all about the killing. Most of the Purge is fairly predictable and it is what you would expect it to be. The big surprise comes at the end, which was extremely powerful, and really gives people the opportunity to question the message the writers have portrayed throughout the film. The only notable performance is that of the stars, Ethan Hawke, who was terrific, in a role I really didn't see him fitting into. The Purge is definitely all about the authors agenda and it is somewhat predictable, but what made the film for me, was the terrific ending, which really does give the audience the chance to challenge the cynical nature of the film. Expand
  26. Apr 20, 2014
    I really dont understand the bad score to this movie. this movie shows the anger hidden from humans and negative feelings they feel each other.
    this movie just says that sometimes, just because it's a homeless, sold more than the others and etc is not necessary to kill.
    Do not tell me "killing is in human nature". kill only animals do to survive. humans do by superfluous interests
  27. Apr 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Brilliant, twisted with a purpose, and incredibly thought-provoking. For starters, those who didn't like the fact that the movie doesn't spoon-fed the viewer answers to life's great mysteries or explain in detail the nature of the human condition, perhaps begin by examining the distinction between "freedom" and "liberty." I've news for folks who say the characters were "two-dimensional," that may be your own reflection, your assertion does not reflect on the film in the least. I've news for folks who say the story was "shallow" or "lacked depth," that is likely a reflection on you, not the writing, the dialogue, the acting, the direction, or the story-line. The manner in which it focuses the subject matter and the existential struggle the film's premise produces, by confining the story to one neighborhood, practically one family's home, leaving the viewer to contemplate the big picture, was nothing short of visionary. I'm not a fan of "slasher flicks" in the least, but this is science fiction and not your average "slasher flick," to suggest otherwise is simply ignorant. Now, as someone with a background in psychology, I could go on for days regarding the probable departures from "reality" statistically. However, the movie is squarely science fiction and in my humble opinion, the film accomplished what good science fiction should accomplish: It invites the viewer to examine themselves and their relationship with the rest of the world, if not the universe. It should make all of us a little uncomfortable, but not simply because of the violence and gore. Kudos to all those involved in making this film. Expand
  28. Apr 16, 2014
    I remember I first heard about this film in an ad before a YouTube video. It started with a voice-over said "Don't skip this ad. You are about to see the trailer for the most disturbing movie of the year." That was a bold statement, considering Evil Dead had already come out and The Conjuring was right around the corner. So naturally, I was curious and didn't skip the ad. One of the first things I noticed was that Ethan Hawke was in the film. I am a fan of Ethan Hawke, and since he was in Sinister a few months prior (one of the scariest films I've ever seen), I was even more curious. Then I noticed the interesting premise about all crime being legal for 24 hours, and as I sat and watched the trailer, I thought "You know, this movie has a lot of potential if they do it right..."

Finally, June arrived and the release date came along, so I saw the film. I was surprised to see a lot of awful acting, bad directing, and a poorly written story. Any and all potential that this premise had was completely wasted. The filmmakers took the premise and did the laziest thing possible: they made it into a cheap slasher flick. The Purge tries to make you feel isolated/alone in a small area with people hunting you, much like how the first Alien movie did. But The Purge relies too much on jump-scares to scare you, which is not a good tactic for horror movies. Good horror has slow-building tension and a release, two things that The Purge has none of.

The characters and the acting are similar in the sense that they're terrible and make you angry. The kids make HORRIBLE decisions, and even in some instances, endanger their own lives. For example, there is a scene where the daughter is upset with her parents, so she walks off, while the people are still invading their house. She risks her life just to act rebellious. Then the people invading the house aren't great either. They all seem to wear masks and act insane to seem creepy. This could have worked, but the moment someone fires a gun at them, they immediately stop acting this way, and they take cover and act like regular people, which gets rid of any creepiness of them possibly being mentally insane.

My final rating for The Purge is a 3/10. I hoped that this movie would at least be worthy of a Redbox rent, but it isn't even worth that. Part of me feels that I went in expecting too much, and I probably did. However, in a way, with the marketing and the premise, I didn't expect too much out of it. If you say that your movie is the most disturbing movie of the year, then you better give me the most disturbing movie of the year.
  29. Apr 2, 2014
    This movie could've been better if it was from the view of person caught on the streets as the "purge" happened. Having the focus be on a family barricaded in a house makes for dull experience for something that sounded so unique to see. Instead we get a family we couldn't care less about. When you're hoping the "heros" are quickly killed by their tormentors that's a bad sign. As for the tormentors they come across as laughable at best. They seem like rich psychos in real life now they get an excuse to kill poor people without penalties. A better story would've followed people who ended up outside while trying to get home before curfew. This movie gets a 1 only because of it's idea, too bad it wasn't fleshed out better. Expand
  30. Mar 29, 2014
    An absolutely fantastic idea totally underutilized. This film follows a family around their house for its duration, a stereotypical game of cat and mouse that the Purge doesn't really bring anything new to. Even worse, it's packed full of forced suspense and cheap 'thrills'. I was hoping the theme of morality would be explored from different angles, but instead it's made very black and white. I found this unbelievable and it distanced me from being immersed in the film as a result. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Rex Reed
    Jun 11, 2013
    As a nauseating variation on the home-invasion theme, The Purge is as sickening as it is dreary.
  2. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Jun 9, 2013
    This is quite possibly the most moronic motion picture I have seen thus far in 2013 and that's saying a lot.
  3. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Jun 9, 2013
    The Purge isn’t just stupid; it’s also pretentious and often makes no sense.