Weinstein Company, The | Release Date: April 11, 2014
7.2
Generally favorable reviews based on 51 Ratings
Watch Now
TVJerryApr 28, 2014
This is based on the biographical book by Eric Lomax, a World War II British officer (Colin Firth) who was captured and tortured by the Japanese during the construction of the Thai/Burma railway. His new wife (Nicole Kidman) discovers thatThis is based on the biographical book by Eric Lomax, a World War II British officer (Colin Firth) who was captured and tortured by the Japanese during the construction of the Thai/Burma railway. His new wife (Nicole Kidman) discovers that his torturer is still alive, so he sets out for revenge. The mood of this film starts somber and gets more dismal from there. The story alternates between his despondent present and his awful past, while most of the intensity comes from the prison camp (naturally). Performances are all around strong and the story is compelling, but the film fails to pack an emotional wallop. Expand
HeadcrusherMay 21, 2014
I LOVED this film - everything about it was done well, the cinematography, the music, the editing and it had the one thing a movie should have - a great story. The opening scenes where the lead character falls in love was worth the price ofI LOVED this film - everything about it was done well, the cinematography, the music, the editing and it had the one thing a movie should have - a great story. The opening scenes where the lead character falls in love was worth the price of admission. The film reminded me of "The Shawshank Redemption" in many ways as it is a film about loss, suffering, revenge and redemption. In my opinion one of the best films I've seen in years and I see a lot of movies. If you prefer modern films that have no hero, where everyone is dysfunctional and tainted by evil, and that really have nothing to say, then you might find this film old fashioned - personally I miss old fashioned where films had meaning, a moral, a message and a hero - and this one has it . Not only that it is a true story of mercy triumphing over judgement. The only downside, if this bothers you, is that it has scenes of torture and violence and an inspiring message which may hit you the wrong way if you love wallowing in your own self-pity - which are the only people I can imagine not liking this film (I know what that's like because I did it for much of my life) See it and be inspired. Expand
csw12Aug 24, 2014
The Railway Man started out incredibly boring and somewhat confusing and only to the very end did it come alive to the point I cared just a little about what was happening.
Trev29Sep 3, 2014
It has all the markings of what could have been a very good film, and in the end it was just decent. The last half and especially the ending made up for most of its faults though.
SpangleMay 20, 2016
The Railway Man can be timid and poorly paced at times, but is ultimately an emotionally charged film that really treads interesting and worthwhile territory when it comes to PTSD, WWII, and forgiveness. In particular, the ending of the filmThe Railway Man can be timid and poorly paced at times, but is ultimately an emotionally charged film that really treads interesting and worthwhile territory when it comes to PTSD, WWII, and forgiveness. In particular, the ending of the film is expertly done and really pays off on all of the emotion built up from the rest of the film. Colin Firth, Jeremy Irvine, Hiroyuki Sanada, and Tanroh Ishida, all shine in this film directed by Jonathan Teplitzky. The film is not poorly directed at all, though the pacing does slack at times, which is problematic. The cinematography is very good and the transition between WWII Japan and 1980s England is handled very well and never winds up being confusing when things change. As an overall film, The Railway Man feels too subtle at times which does hurt the final product, but is still a very well made and incredibly well acted film about forgiveness. Expand
BshopAug 16, 2014
Decent film about prisoners of war and the resolutions of war.
Decent film about prisoners of war and the resolutions of war.
Colin Firth does a swell job playing a British officer dealing with PTSD decades after the war when he finds a captor still alive. The young version of the officer (playing during the war) is great, much better than Firth as an older gentleman.
It was kind of confusing with the flashbacks happening so often, but I guess that's what happens when you make a movie that is all about the past.
In summary, decent flick about war although not as good as it is hyped up in the trailers. I would rent if possible or see on Netflix. Not worth a theater trip or buying, unless you like flashback-type movies.
LeZeeJun 23, 2014
An autobiographical novel adapted movie that partially covers the story of two distinct eras. One, from the recent time England and another from Thailand during the second world war. About a young man who was in the British army and hisAn autobiographical novel adapted movie that partially covers the story of two distinct eras. One, from the recent time England and another from Thailand during the second world war. About a young man who was in the British army and his sufferings when the British empire of southeast Asia was captured by the Japanese imperial army.

An ex army officer, Eric, by chance meets a strange woman, Patti, on a train journey. The encounter changes their lives forever. Until one day Patti finds abnormality in Eric's behaviour during the sleep. She learns some unbearable secrets during unearthing about his past life. So the screenplay too switches back to the few decades earlier when Eric was a soldier working in Singapore. And it reveals everything he and his men went through during being in the prisoners of war.

‘‘Sometime the hating has to stop’’

Colin Firth's role was limited. He appeared in the opening and the end few minutes. In his presence, he was excellent, like always. Also looked perfect for the role in that getup. The romance portion that commits in the earlier part of the movie went meaningless once the other story begins to take full control. It also includes Nicole Kidman in the unnecessary cast list to see her in a tiny role. It begins to swap the actors, the young version of Colin's role played by a young actor from 'War Horse' was another brilliant performance throw.

The movie had a little flaw, I mean a drag during the last quarter. The scene where old enemies meet were in fact good, but should have been better. Other than that the message was good relating the words 'foe' and 'revenge'. Actually, it is hard to believe in a true story like this, but anyway it happened. It was almost historical accuracy that I came to know from the BBC's quote. It is another reason why this story deserved to be a movie. With the great star casts and crew it became a fine movie.

7.5/10
olofAug 19, 2014
The movie shows an awful part of world war two that I didn't know much about. But the movie is too gooey for my taste. The soldiers are a bit too heroic, and the monologs a bit too pompous.
dierregiMay 25, 2015
Having watched this after "Unbroken" I could clearly appreciate the difference between a good movie about WWII in the Pacific and a terrible one. Colin Firth does a very good job as the troubled man who struggles to recover from the tortureHaving watched this after "Unbroken" I could clearly appreciate the difference between a good movie about WWII in the Pacific and a terrible one. Colin Firth does a very good job as the troubled man who struggles to recover from the torture and pain of his days as a prisoner (PSD, if I ever saw a case). He is helped in his recovery by his new wife and a fellow veteran. Nothing particularly new, but a story well told. Pity about the uninspiring title. Expand
LowbrowCinemaApr 23, 2014
THE RAILWAY MAN is a lovely, small film about intimacy, love, and forgiveness. The film spends too much time in the past which is actually exactly what the film is all about--resolving past nightmares. The chemistry between Firth and KidmanTHE RAILWAY MAN is a lovely, small film about intimacy, love, and forgiveness. The film spends too much time in the past which is actually exactly what the film is all about--resolving past nightmares. The chemistry between Firth and Kidman is truly remarkable and very touching. These are two people who clearly love and care for each other. I wish the film knew better what it really was but all in all -- lovely. I'm not British, but THE RAILWAY MAN'S modern stiff upper lip would make me proud to be a Brit. Expand
RhythmicReviewApr 16, 2014
When first hearing of The Railway Man, I thought this was going to be another biased depiction of a historical event-The Burma Railway. Death statistics here and references to aftermath there etc etc. In reality however, Railway Man is oneWhen first hearing of The Railway Man, I thought this was going to be another biased depiction of a historical event-The Burma Railway. Death statistics here and references to aftermath there etc etc. In reality however, Railway Man is one man's story, yet the story of all involved. It has such a strong voice sustained throughout the movie; perfectly incapsulating the horror of war and the toll it takes on all those involved. Kidman unfortunately seems too robotic for a movie with such a sensitive topic however. Nevertheless, The Railway Man is a true experience that highlights the devastating nature of war; but also showing how man can rise from the ashes. A must see. Expand
BeeceeMay 1, 2014
Colin Firth does an amazing job portraying the World War II British officer who was captured, then tortured, by the Japanese in Thailand, who then has the opportunity to confront one of his torturers after the war. The scenes of torture areColin Firth does an amazing job portraying the World War II British officer who was captured, then tortured, by the Japanese in Thailand, who then has the opportunity to confront one of his torturers after the war. The scenes of torture are grueling, yet necessary for the audience to truly understand what happened to the officer during the war. Nicole Kidman also does a good job in a smaller role. This movie has a lot to say about the ravages of war and the need for resolution. It also kept me on the edge of my seat. Expand
RoachramirezJul 24, 2014
Una pelicula muy buena que tiene gran drama y una gran historia principal . grandes actuaciones de todos lindas imagenes de lugares . y un gran dolor muy bien trasmitido.
stevexparaAug 5, 2014
What a fantastic film with a twist .. and then based on a real life scenario.

What a fantastic film with a twist .. and then based on a real life scenario.

It took a long time for the Japanese to officially say sorry to those who fought the forgotten war in the far east and I cant imagine what they went through or how they survived (those that did).

Well worth a viewing
barbourjohnAug 22, 2014
War is hell. The worst part about it is the lies that are told to justify the war itself and the cruelty that comes as a consequence. Railway Man tells a part of the story of World War II that is rarely told through the eyes of a BritishWar is hell. The worst part about it is the lies that are told to justify the war itself and the cruelty that comes as a consequence. Railway Man tells a part of the story of World War II that is rarely told through the eyes of a British officer that exemplified the suffering and humiliation endured by the British that were left to surrender to the Japanese at Singapore. It tells the story of two men who find a way to bring closure and find forgiveness and reconciliation. It also tells of a love story of a woman who wouldn't give up until her husband was healed. Expand
OpinionatedDec 5, 2014
Call me a book worm, or possibly a movie sceptic but The Railway Man for me was a bit of a let down. After reading the book numerous times, I was so excited when I learned of the movie release. After watching the movie, however, I realisedCall me a book worm, or possibly a movie sceptic but The Railway Man for me was a bit of a let down. After reading the book numerous times, I was so excited when I learned of the movie release. After watching the movie, however, I realised that there was a lot of information in the book that was missing from the film. For me, the film seemed more focused on the relationship between Eric and Patti (who are beautifully represented by Firth and Kidman) than on the actual events. Although there is details of the events and the building of the railway, in my opinion it seemed that the average viewer who has not read the book would be misinformed of just how long these events actualy went on for and the brutality that occured almost constantly.

It is for this, and other reasons which I will not mention as I don't want to misguide people from watching the film themselves that I sadly give The Railway Man 5 / 10.
wornoutspinesFeb 12, 2015
It begins like a poorly executed romantic movie, too fast and a little messy. Then when we get to the thick of it, the heart of the story and Eric Lomax's history starts to make sense a little bit, but again it's executed poorly. TheIt begins like a poorly executed romantic movie, too fast and a little messy. Then when we get to the thick of it, the heart of the story and Eric Lomax's history starts to make sense a little bit, but again it's executed poorly. The photography is good, the actors gave a decent performance, so it must be the script or the director.

Since the film is based on a true story, it's a shame that there's such a lack of emotional involvement. It's not as gruesome as it could have been for movie War movie, the torture is kept to a minimum, so they could have pull on the audience's heart strings and play on the emotion card more. I needed to care, to feel for Eric Lomax but I never really did.

As I mentioned the cast gave a decent performance, they were good maybe not great but they were sensitive and raw. Jeremy Irvine is unrecognizable in this film but it feels like he was barely there. Kidman is graceful and reeks of devotion while Firth wears his heart on his sleeve for the audience and Sanada is just sort of impressive.

Although the film did not work for me, I recognized that Eric Lomax's story is inspiring but the movie failed to help me connected with his amazing story. I feel this is a hit or miss situation depending on who you are.

@wornoutspines