Buena Vista Pictures | Release Date: January 31, 2003
5.9
Mixed or average reviews based on 50 Ratings
WATCH NOW
BroyaxJan 21, 2017
Un peu long, une fin au rebondissement tarabiscoté et un Colin Farrell qui semble pour le moins perdu face à un Al Pacino éclatant et grandiose (comme de coutume). Si on devait donner une définition du charisme en deux mots, ce serait "AlUn peu long, une fin au rebondissement tarabiscoté et un Colin Farrell qui semble pour le moins perdu face à un Al Pacino éclatant et grandiose (comme de coutume). Si on devait donner une définition du charisme en deux mots, ce serait "Al Pacino" et ce serait tout-à-fait normAl.

Néanmoins, le film ne repose pas entièrement sur ses épaules de superstar : Roger Donaldson livre un film consciencieux à la réalisation de bon élève appliqué quoique sans génie... et pour un film d'espions, l'intrigue se laisse suivre sans aucune migraine, preuve d'une ossature assez solide pour réussir à nous induire en erreur ici et là.

La fin est vraiment maladroite, pas en elle-même, mais la façon dont elle est amenée et résolue, ce qui nous laisse à penser ce que l'on pensait depuis le début : la recrue est un petit con. Heureusement qu'Al est là... un génie !
Avalon011May 3, 2016
This movie is just completely stupid, the recruit is just obsessed throughout the whole movie with this girl and making a fool out of himself, I was hoping he would get shot.
FilmQueenNov 28, 2015
This action film is quite good, a bit slow at certain parts, but it is interesting to find out what's really going on. The ending has a good enough twist.
oxanaJan 3, 2015
Who is a friend, a who is a foe? What is the truth, and what a lie? Whom can you trust, and is any of this truly real? Colin Farrell and Al Pacino make a perfect duo with an unstable balance between each other, even if they are a teacher andWho is a friend, a who is a foe? What is the truth, and what a lie? Whom can you trust, and is any of this truly real? Colin Farrell and Al Pacino make a perfect duo with an unstable balance between each other, even if they are a teacher and a student of sorts. And when things get tricky, can you really suspect the one who is supposed to be your guiding line? Oh the places where blind trust can lead you... Expand
MovieGuysAug 16, 2014
The Recruit is one of those thrillers that thinks it's so much smarter than it is, and tries to confuse and trick you by making you think "nothing is what it seems" and such, even though the whole thing just doesn't make any sense. This is anThe Recruit is one of those thrillers that thinks it's so much smarter than it is, and tries to confuse and trick you by making you think "nothing is what it seems" and such, even though the whole thing just doesn't make any sense. This is an age-old movie trick that is getting tired. Just because a movie is complicated and vague, does not mean it's a good movie. This one tries to be as good as a Bourne movie, but the thrills and visceral performances just aren't there. Even Pacino looks bored!

The one plus of the movie is that it is interesting to see the training involved in becoming a CIA employee. this part of the movie kept me engaged the whole time, even if the rest of it felt like a generic Hollywood spy thriller.
InFAMOUSDexterOct 14, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't understand why you people don't like this film. I personally think that it is amazing, and also is you take a look at the other films that are released that year, it make it even better. Expand
MichaelM.Oct 23, 2004
This movie is "Nothing what it seems". I thought this was going to be a crummy CIA movie with the name Al Pacino on it, so people would go see it. One of the clues of this being unrealistic is that Colin Farrel's character is training This movie is "Nothing what it seems". I thought this was going to be a crummy CIA movie with the name Al Pacino on it, so people would go see it. One of the clues of this being unrealistic is that Colin Farrel's character is training to be a CIA operative and he has a tatoo! You cannot have a tatoo if you are a CIA operative. And he couldn't have had it burned off either, because it would leave a scar. You can't have any visible scars if you are a CIA operative. People would recognize you! But when I went to see it, I was very surprised in a good way. The movie is actually pretty good. I mean, it is kind of unrealistic, but it is entertaining. I was interested during the whole movie of what was going to happen to Colin Farrel, and who was playing him. Al Pacino did a great acting job, as always, in this role. I don't think he deserves an Academy Award or nomination though. The movie is kind of slow at parts, and very interesting at parts. It is worth the $8 in the theater to see it. But it wouldn't be my first choice of film. If you don't get to go to the movies often, I would wait for DVD and pay the $8 for something like Gangs of New York, Lord of the Rings, The Pianist, Chicago or The Hours. (2/15/03) Expand
0 of 1 users found this helpful
jjggDec 30, 2003
Horrible. What a waste of time...
[Anonymous]May 29, 2003
I thought the plot was well written, but the ending seemed to be missing something and was hard to understand.
DermotW.Apr 30, 2003
If you leave your brain at the popcorn counter you might get an ounce of enjoyment. Dull.
WarrenMar 23, 2003
Silly made for TV movie with Al wearing a goofy looking wig. I wish that this movie wasn't as bad it seemed. If you must see it, rent it.
Ryan26B.Feb 13, 2003
I can only say this movie is average. I did enjoy it but the twist in the end was....not really a good enough twist, I could kind of tell what was going to happen. This movie is still worth watching at least once.
PhatmanFeb 9, 2003
It's not as good as it looks. Too many close ups on the actor's faces.